Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

What is Peyton doing here?? He 's not even saying anything! Football is not an Olympic sport! Thank God. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
5 minutes ago, tvrox said:

What is Peyton doing here?? He 's not even saying anything! Football is not an Olympic sport! Thank God. 

He makes only slightly more sense than Kelly Clarkson. At least he’s an athlete. 

• Like 6

So far I’m bored. I know Paris wanted to do what they could to bring in a lot of people after Covid wreaked havoc on the last two games but I would much rather see a ceremony held in a stadium. 

And I swear I’m no prude but was the threesome really necessary? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
32 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The Olympic Stadium has a retractable roof, so, presumably, everyone could've stayed dry.  I am sure the organizers would've been loathe to close the roof though for the opening ceremony since it would've ruined the views of the city from the stadium.  It didn't seem like the athletes minded the weather, they look to have all stuck it out.  

Having done a boat ride down the Seine at night, it is breathtaking. They don't call it The City of Lights for nothin'.

The Seine is beautiful at night, but I also remember being freezing cold on the water.  It was a dinner cruise, so we were on the water quite a while.  I wished I had a heavy  coat with me.  And that was without rain.

• Like 1

This boat trip down the Seine would have made more sense for the COVID Olympics in Tokyo because it would have been socially distanced. In Paris why not have the parade in the stadium??? 

The videotaped parts are cool, I did like the metal/classical justaxposition. But I miss the traditional parade. Sadness. 

Colombia!!! Yay. 

• Like 4

I caught up with the first part that I missed earlier, and the only part I really needed to see was the start with the torch going through the catacombs with the kids.  I couldn't figure out this afternoon what the deal was with the parkour guy -- where he came from!  So that was cleared up.

Did not care for Gaga and her dancing pompoms, and the can-can was truly a hot mess.  I've never seen it done worse.

I do appreciate showcasing the city, but all the dignitaries were in the stadium, watching on screens, so why couldn't everyone?  As much as I appreciated the boats on the Seine parade, I think I prefer the bulk of the entertainment to be after the athletes arrive rather than interspersed throughout the parade.  

I do still think the cauldron is awesome.

• Like 7

People who have been to Paris before, are those big face-thingies in the river always there or is that special for the Olympics?

• Useful 1

Worst opening ceremony I've ever seen.  There's a reason why other cities did it in a stadium.  This boat parade of nations is terrible.  And it's all just so boring.  Doesn't help that NBC's coverage sucks like usual.

• Like 7

The athletes (bless their hearts) are making the most of being on those boats, but I'll bet there are a lot of them wishing they could have been in a stadium instead.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Trying to figure why the US wasn't in with the "E" countries if they're doing it in French.  Etats-Unis.

They will come in just before France as the host of the next Olympics. 

• Like 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Trying to figure why the US wasn't in with the "E" countries if they're doing it in French.  Etats-Unis.

The US is second-to-last because we'll be hosting the 2028 summer Olympics in LA.  France as the host country is last.

@WhitneyWhit beat me to it. 😄

Edited by Crashcourse
2 minutes ago, Constant Viewer said:

Okay, I did like the brief glimpse of The Little Prince.

Minions, why? They make me think of talking Twinkies.

As explained, the animation house that does the Minions is based in Paris.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

As explained, the animation house that does the Minions is based in Paris.

I heard that after I posted. I just get tired of seeing them everywhere.

Edited by Constant Viewer
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, yowsah1 said:

I am interested in getting some feedback here.  Do we like the musical numbers interspersed throughout the boat parade or all together like in traditional Opening Ceremonies?

I would prefer to have all the music & entertainment in one section...everything with this seemed so dis-jointed

• Like 11

I am interested in getting some feedback here.  Do we like the musical numbers interspersed throughout the boat parade or all together like in traditional Opening Ceremonies?

I thought I would like it, but I am finding it disjointed as well. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Going away from the boats to show Team USA bits isn’t sitting well with me.  Like, I get that this is airing here in the good ol’ US of A, but it’s the opening ceremony.  Focus on the other countries JUST THIS ONCE.

And when they go split screen the chyron doesn’t show the number in the delegation or the flag bearer names, which is annoying.

This is one of my eternal complaints about NBC's coverage.  It's so fucking jingoistic.

I did like the homage to the Lumiere brothers.

6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I wonder if Australia will go third to last since Brisbane is hosting the 2032 Summer Games?  Maybe the last three will be Australia, USA, and France?

When did they start doing this?  It did not used to be this way.  It was Greece, alphabetical by the French name and then the host nation.

6 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I wonder if tonight’s rebroadcast will offer more context to what we are seeing? 

Nope

This is so fucking boring.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I caught up with the first part that I missed earlier, and the only part I really needed to see was the start with the torch going through the catacombs with the kids.  I couldn't figure out this afternoon what the deal was with the parkour guy -- where he came from!  So that was cleared up.

Did not care for Gaga and her dancing pompoms, and the can-can was truly a hot mess.  I've never seen it done worse.

I do appreciate showcasing the city, but all the dignitaries were in the stadium, watching on screens, so why couldn't everyone?  As much as I appreciated the boats on the Seine parade, I think I prefer the bulk of the entertainment to be after the athletes arrive rather than interspersed throughout the parade.  

I do still think the cauldron is awesome.

Yeah I could do the can can better, LOL. 

Noah Lyles is a cutie. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Is Peyton Manning going to talk, at all?

Are you not enjoying Kelly’s random noises?

Watching the ceremony on the prime timer coverage now and it’s just not working. The idea is great but it’s so choppy. The parade just doesn’t hit right. The ending with Celine is beautiful, the cauldron is wonderful, the horse thing is cool. It just took way too long to get there. I hope LA is old school.

• Like 10

I feel the boat parade is doing a disservice to the athletes. My favorite part of the opening is when a country is announced and they get their moment to walk around the stadium. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

French rap! Yay! I  wondered if this was going to be included. 

They're finally saying a little bit more about the different countries. It's still too hard to see any of the athletes though. 

30 minutes ago, Constant Viewer said:

Okay, I did like the brief glimpse of The Little Prince.

Minions, why? They make me think of talking Twinkies.

I hated the minions. So unnecessary!

I like the fashion show. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I feel the boat parade is doing a disservice to the athletes. My favorite part of the opening is when a country is announced and they get their moment to walk around the stadium. 

I felt a little for Stephen Curry when he was talking about seeing the athletes marching into the stadium and walking around the track. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Yikes, this isn't a nice romantic French rain. It's a pounding storm. 

Cool outfits on Papua New Guinea. 

This is definitely better in the dark. They should have done the whole thing after twilight. 

Edited by tvrox
Spelling
  • Like 2

I"ve been watching the prime time coverage, yeesh it's boring and disjointed.  This is the parade of nations but they keep cutting away to showcase something else.  Way too disjointed as has been mentioned earlier.  I know they are showcasing the city but I can't help but feel that would be better received while everyone was in the stadium.  Besides everything being disjointed and giving the impression of confusion, everything seems so far away.  Not everyone has a giant sized TV (or wants one) so I feel like I might as well be sitting in the stadium waiting for everyone to show up.    

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Well, every time he has been referred the words "Super" and "Bowl" somehow get worked into the conversation, so maybe it's best we don't hear from him.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Traditional

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

He makes only slightly more sense than Kelly Clarkson. At least he’s an athlete. 

And yet they were still better than the two dopes from the Today show.

Tirico did some seriously heavy lifting with this bunch.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I loved seeing Paris. I miss being there.

I loved all that imagination at work. Humans, everybody!

Celine and the cauldron were the perfect crowning moment, though; wouldn't change a thing there.

Flawless and emotional. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

The commentary sucked. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I could have done without Beyonce, she could have popped up at any other time.  I'd rather be squinting at the USA boat at the actual athletes than her and her bedazzled bathing suit.   

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Wow, I am re-watching tonight and I dont remember this Beyonce segment being on during the afternoon.  I liked it & thought it was well done. 

I thought it was pointless and stupid and a waste of fucking time which could've been spent on showing the actual ceremony since this is all on tape anyway.

The Toyota commercial, on the other hand, was wonderful.

The Nike commercial, ugh.  Yes, if you are selfish, lacking in compassion and empathy, you ARE a bad person.

Why is the piano on fire?

Okay, the horse is cool.  It makes no sense, but it's cool.

• Like 1

Did I imagine that they broke for commercial in the middle of the metal horse's run? I am hate-watching at this point.

• Like 1

I have a theory about why the uniforms for Team USA always tend to look same in Olympics after Olympics.  In 1981, a little movie called CHARIOTS OF FIRE, powered by a memorable opening and closing credits sequence to a tune by Vangelis, became an out-of-left-field hit and a dark horse Best Picture Oscar winner.  The movie focused on the 1924 Olympics and showed the protagonists attending the Opening Ceremonies in their spiffy suit outifts.  Ever since then, our team uniforms for the Opening Ceremonies has gone for that CHARIOTS OF FIRE vibe.

Also, Ralph Lauren.  ;)

• Like 5
  • Love 1