Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: Disappointing Daddy

• Start Topic

"Barbie must decide to either honor her family's expectations of her or follow her heart with Kyle; Chef Nick gets some unexpected pushback from a single-stripe stew; things heat up with Fraser and his guest crush."

Airs: 5/6/24

Fraser needs to take a seat. He's not a chef. The charter guests are happy with the food - not everything needs a garnish. All he's done all season is bitch about the chefs and Barbie. He's way to full of himself.. 

• Like 18
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Fraser has to complain about everything even when muttering to himself.

The food, the stews...and go crying to Cap and not learning anything from Kelly's advice.

He is so into drama it is sad.

• Like 13
(edited)

It appears Fraser is one of those who think putting others down makes him look better. It doesn't. It only makes him look petty and mean. The way he turned all the stews against the chef was embarrassing. You're on the same team!! The chef's success is your success tip-wise. 

Oh Sunny, I'm disappointed you (quite literally) let Ben back in.

I'm sorry, but Kyle & Barbie are kind of cute together. 

Edited by snarts
  • Like 21

I like the new chef and his food.

Sunny has no self esteem.

I like Barbie and Kyle but guess she wasn't too worried about daddy or she feels like 'in for a penny...'.

• Like 4

I think it was close to breaking the rules for Frazier to have the guest at their after charter celebration. I get that his feelings (first crush in 5 years) were strong.  He knew it was a close call,  as when the guest wanted to meet him the last night of the charter we saw his texts saving it was a fireable offense. Perhaps his attitude would change if he released some of his…um…sexual energy. 
  I’m not sure about the new chef, but he seems to have no problem with his words. I didn’t care for his comments on the stews weight or love of mayonnaise. She didn’t either. 

• Like 3

Barbie and Kyle are cute together!  Glad she woke up to the fact that she's a grownup and can make her decisions without her father.  The way that she and her sister were going on you'd think she was under 18 and still living at home.  She's 28, works on a yacht, and is on a TV show.  

Frasier is delusional about the chef.

• Like 8

Apparently Fraser and Paris seem to think they know more about food than the chef. Which is rich, coming from a stew who then proudly squirts a whole bottle of mayo directly into her mouth. Ewww. I mean, I'm fine with mayo on a sandwich, but just taking a bottle and squirting a whole bunch of it straight into my mouth? OMG.

And why did Fraser think the food's presentation was "horrific?" It looked fine to me, and the Instagram guests seemed to love it. I don't know what is going on with Fraser this season, he's just on this weird kick where he thinks he's an expert on everything. Kerry sees it too.

Good for the chef, he at least can stand up to these dummies and ignore them. That said, he does seem like kind of a misogynistic jerk.

So Sunny goes hopping back into bed with Ben and says "Why not?" Uh, really, Sunny? Why not? How about because every time you do this you end up in tears. That's why not.

• Like 14
  • Applause 5
4 hours ago, snarts said:

It appears Fraser is one of those who think putting others down makes him look better. It doesn't. It only makes him look petty and mean. The way he turned all the stews against the chef was embarrassing. You're on the same team!! The chef's success is your success tip-wise. 

Oh Sunny, I'm disappointed you (quite literally) let Ben back in.

I'm sorry, but Kyle & Barbie are kind of cute together. 

I like Barbie and Kyle too!!!

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think it was close to breaking the rules for Frazier to have the guest at their after charter celebration. I get that his feelings (first crush in 5 years) were strong.  He knew it was a close call,  as when the guest wanted to meet him the last night of the charter we saw his texts saving it was a fireable offense. Perhaps his attitude would change if he released some of his…um…sexual energy. 

There was a season when one of the stews, Kyle I think, meet up with a guest after charter.  I think it was even at their post charter dinner/clubbing.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Fraser needs to take a seat. He's not a chef. The charter guests are happy with the food - not everything needs a garnish. All he's done all season is bitch about the chefs and Barbie. He's way to full of himself.. 

He's being encouraged to shit on certain cast members.  It's a departure from his previous seasons.

They wanted him to generate some drama this season.

The fact that presentation is such a big deal shows what a fraud haute cuisine can be.

Or those food photo shooters are frauds, even with their gigantic lights, that they don't see the difference if chef is just plopping food on the plates, like a prison cook does, as Fraser said.

They didn't miss the garnish either.

But they're wannabes, they don't have big followings probably.

Ben and Sunny's breakup and Sunny deciding to give him the cold shoulder lasted ... not even 24 hours.  Sunny is a doormat.  Ben was rejected by Camille and always knew he could trod on Sunny again as backup when he's feeling horny again, which was the very next day.

Chef is trying to flirt with Paris, who's got a very high opinion of herself.  She never dated guests on the yachts she worked on because they had crusty dicks and she only wants dicks that work.

Nothing but the highest standards.

Also this was the penultimate charter?  Or maybe there's a couple of charters left at most?  So the new chef comes in for three charters?  And Fraser is already trashing the new guy after one charter?

Tell me that isn't fake, pure producer manipulation.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Just watched and I didn't think I could despise Fraser any more, but he proved me wrong.

Such a whiny bitch.  I'll say it again:  Throw him off the stern at full speed ahead.  The stews have little choice but to kiss his butt.  The tete-a-tete with the guest doesn't bother me.  Whatever

To Kerry's credit, he's not having it.  He rightly pointed out this is the same BS he had with Anthony.  Cry elsewhere bitch boy.  Grow up.

Loving Chef, he's not having the whining either.

Kyle and Barbie are so cute!  Xandi can really cut loose.  Wow!

Sunny, Sunny, Sunny OMG.  Is she so horny or just so lacking in self-esteem?  She's a pretty girl, she can do better.  Seems to enjoy being used by fuckbois.

The  guest "influencer" thing is over the top - like who cares about your food pics - but were generally pleasant, not overly demanding.

12 minutes ago, aghst said:

Sunny is a doormat

Big time!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

We have had some amazing chef's that plate and garnish like their lives depended on it, the guests don't miss any of the garnish or style because they are on a yacht but if they were in a local restaurant at home I bet they would talk about the sparse look of the plates.

I am not sure why the chef does not have a container of chiffonade or pea shoots or even curly parsley to dress up the plates.

In some shots the chef looks almost boyish and in others like he spent doing hard time in lock up, he is only 40?

The one thing about this charter is there are no food issues for every single guest, it is hard to watch one chef customize every dish. 

Sunny has to know that Ben called Camille and got shot down so now Ben decides Sunny is second best and throws her one just because he wants to get laid, Sunny is too good for him, I wish she knew it.

Barbie is ok with Kyle now? It really should not take much brain power to convince herself because we all know when they dock the last time the romance is over.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am not sure why the chef does not have a container of chiffonade or pea shoots or even curly parsley to dress up the plates.

In some shots the chef looks almost boyish and in others like he spent doing hard time in lock up, he is only 40?

Seems like an easy thing to do.  He gives off conflicting vibes like that.

OT, how ya'all doing with that bridge out?  I'm 20 miles south of PHL in NJ, I assume the other east coast ports are picking up the slack

• Like 1

I agreed with the chef that the eggs benedict didn't need extra crap on the plates...the sprig of parsley was enough.  The dessert from the night before was a beautiful plate, so clearly he knows what he's doing.

Frazier is KILLING me this season...I want him to just do his job and quit gossiping and setting other crew members against each other.  It made me uncomfortable to watch him flirt with the guest (wearing his shirt, really?)...have we seen any other stews or deckies do that on charter?  Maybe a couple of times?  And it made me uncomfortable then too.

• Like 13
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Seems like an easy thing to do.  He gives off conflicting vibes like that.

OT, how ya'all doing with that bridge out?  I'm 20 miles south of PHL in NJ, I assume the other east coast ports are picking up the slack

Truthfully, it does not affect me at all. The shipping lanes had been widened and there were a few ships that had been stuck at port that were able to leave, there are other ports that have been used and I think cars are being delivered in Philly, no idea the day to day other than the divers finding two more victims in the water...the new routes for commuting for some is probably not fun. I think we all are wondering what actually happened, I for one do not believe the bay pilot was at fault, that ship had issues in other ports.

• Useful 5
5 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Truthfully, it does not affect me at all. The shipping lanes had been widened and there were a few ships that had been stuck at port that were able to leave, there are other ports that have been used and I think cars are being delivered in Philly, no idea the day to day other than the divers finding two more victims in the water...the new routes for commuting for some is probably not fun. I think we all are wondering what actually happened, I for one do not believe the bay pilot was at fault, that ship had issues in other ports.

Glad to hear that!  More OT, my Dad was in the cockpit and survived the Tenerife crash,  3/27/77.  I was a senior in HS.  It was nuts.

Point being, all these disasters are the end of a long chain of seemingly tiny events, then Boom!

Dad's plane was about 6 feet short of getting around refueling KLM and being on their way.

• Mind Blown 6
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Glad to hear that!  More OT, my Dad was in the cockpit and survived the Tenerife crash,  3/27/77.  I was a senior in HS.  It was nuts.

Point being, all these disasters are the end of a long chain of seemingly tiny events, then Boom!

Dad's plane was about 6 feet short of getting around refueling KLM and being on their way.

OMG! Ironically, every time I flew anywhere with my father he would mention that tragedy, sad and scary.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m not sure about the new chef, but he seems to have no problem with his words. I didn’t care for his comments on the stews weight or love of mayonnaise. She didn’t either. 

I didn't care for the stews comments either - they both stepped over the line but she also needs to stick to her own job standards and not his.  And I doubt Fraser would tolerate his behaviour if it were one of his stews, he would be up complaining to the captain in a heartbeat.  Even the New Year's kiss crossed a line imo, he wasn't setting a good example for any of the staff, and it just wasn't appropriate.

Edited by endure
  • Like 7
56 minutes ago, endure said:

I didn't care for the stews comments either - they both stepped over the line but she also needs to stick to her own job standards and not his.  And I doubt Fraser would tolerate his behaviour if it were one of his stews, he would be up complaining to the captain in a heartbeat.  Even the New Year's kiss crossed a line imo, he wasn't setting a good example for any of the staff, and it just wasn't appropriate.

Meh, everybody bitches about their boss, Fraser is one of the worst.  He is just so full of himself.  Greatest thing since sliced bread.

(Mostly, I had a few stellar bosses)

• Like 2

What did Sandy say about Fraser last year? That he was  a cancer?  Maybe production did not show that behavior last year, but is  showing it this year.  Could Sandy have been right?

I thought the food looked fine. I don't go in for fancy plating.  Not even at a fine  restaurant.  I am more impressed if the food tastes good.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

I have mixed feelings about the chef.  I don't know why he didn't just add some more garnish to his plates at the stew's suggestion.  Maybe he is trying to establish his authority, as a newbie, taking a stand to show that he knows what he is doing.  These guests in particular would have loved dishes that were elaborately plated, though they seemed to love the food regardless.  On the other hand, I am completely disagreeing with Fraser's comments about the chef/food.  He was being over critical and dramatic.  He should not have gone to Kerry, complaining again.  And when I see in the coming attractions that the stews are going to start telling the chef what to do and try to take over, I think that is completely inappropriate.  If I were the chef, I would put my foot down.  If they can't be respectful of my galley, stay out.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

What did Sandy say about Fraser last year? That he was  a cancer?  Maybe production did not show that behavior last year, but is  showing it this year.  Could Sandy have been right?

Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ;-)

Similarly, Fucking Fraser, who may indeed be a cancer, but is definitely a shit heel, is not wrong about this Chef’s food. The chef’s food and plating are more in line with a three star Holiday Inn than anything Michelin. There is nothing wrong with his food - it is just boring and uninspired.  I am not sure why the new stew mantra has been “Garnishes, Garnishes, Garnishes,” but the Eggs Benedict could have used something. And not a spring of parsley. That is the height of 1950s sophistication. 🙄 Garnishes should always have a connection to what is in the dish - not just a random item plopped on he plate because it “looks cool.” 🙄 When I make Eggs Benedict at home, I always add a sprinkle of parsley or chives because it adds flavor, color, and completes the dish. Those eggs would have looked so much better, and a little less naked, with a little sprinkling of something. And any chef worth his salt should be able to make a dish that is both delicious and visually appealing. It’s not an either or situation with someone who actually knows what they’re doing.

And while the guests were happy, they were the most ragtag group of influencers I have ever seen in the wild. They don’t strike me as an elevated group of sophisticates. They all seemed a little raggedy and schlubby.

At any rate, this new chef is perfect for this show, provided  he can read a preference sheet. 😉 He keeps it simple and straightforward with just enough skill to keep the guests on a cut-rate yacht vacation happy. His lack of complexity and refinement are perfect for the limits of his guests, his galley, and the suipport staff he has. In my opinion, Anthony’s only flaw was not being unable  or unwilling to adapt to those limitations. Anthony belongs in a Michelin star restaurant with full kitchen staff and guests who know enough about an elevated dining experience to be able to wait between courses and hold a conversation. 

This new chef is right where he needs to be. And while, I think his plating is lacking, he is right to put his foot down with those harpies. They are completely out of pocket with the constant criticism. Though Kate racked up a lot of screen time yammering about Leon’s repetitive beef cheeks. It didn’t even really matter that he served them all the time because he served them to different guests.

And yes to throwing Fraser overboard. He is completely insufferable. 

P.S.

And Barbie and Kyle ARE cute together. 😉

Edited by Chickabiddy
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

One thing I like about the new chef is that he keeps a clean galley. Between courses, we aren’t seeing tons of equipment strewn about the counter tops.  I do wonder if he’s getting help with cleanup that’s not being shown, or if he’s just way more organized than Anthony ever was.

• Like 6
21 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

In some shots the chef looks almost boyish and in others like he spent doing hard time in lock up

Ha ha…I couldn’t figure out what it was about him that bothered  me…thanks!

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, Michichick said:

One thing I like about the new chef is that he keeps a clean galley. Between courses, we aren’t seeing tons of equipment strewn about the counter tops.  I do wonder if he’s getting help with cleanup that’s not being shown, or if he’s just way more organized than Anthony ever was.

I saw one of the deckies washing dishes in the background. I think that's been the case all along, they just haven't focused on it since Fraser is sucking all the air out of the room.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Fraser keeps complaining about everyone to Capt. Kerry, at some point the Kerry should tell him that it cannot be everyone else being the problem, it is you. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I thought the food looked fine. I don't go in for fancy plating.  Not even at a fine  restaurant.  I am more impressed if the food tastes good.  

I don't think I've watched Below Deck for a few seasons so this is my first time viewing Fraser but reading comments on here he sounded fairly well liked in the beginning of this season.  I'm finding him petty but it could be producer driven and I really don't like how he keeps going to the captain with issues that seem to be his own issues - not the people he is reporting on lol.  Fortunately the captain seems to be on to this.  I agree the food looked fine and he presented it nicely, funny how they (Paris I think) suggested things like halved cherry tomatoes lol, fortunately the chef just wasn't buying it.  What doesn't add up is the fact that the guests were so impressed with the food and were often taking photos of the presentation and they praised the food when they gave the tip too. How could Fraser possibly justify complaining?  Maybe he's not such a good team player which is something you really want working together 24hrs a day in such limited living quarters.

• Like 11

They want to keep the possibility of firing someone.

Even with a couple of charters left.

They want constant conflict between cast members, because they deem it more interesting to viewers than everyone getting along, even liking each other.

We've seen seasons where they're shown constantly arguing and trash-talking each other in the talking head interviews.  Then in the season finale, they're all hugging it out, like they went through a growth experience together and so on.

Then in the reunion or social media  months later, they're back to trashing each other.

Because social media is as popular as it is to stir up outrage.  A strong emotional response increases "engagement" or causes people to spend more time on these apps.  And anger is one of the easiest types of emotion to trigger.

So it's a similar approach, conflict elicits strong emotions, especially fed by alcohol when they go out between charters and there's a greater chance of arguments, fights but also hookups.  Sunny was going to be done with Ben but after some drinks, him repeatedly giving her attention and she forgot what she was mad about.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

The Watch What Crappens guys pointed out that Fraser is the type to put others down just to feel superior himself, and has been this way since he first appeared on Below Deck two seasons ago as a stew. He does indeed have a snobby attitude, constantly saying how things are not up to his standards. So I don't necessarily think this is new behavior on his part, it's just that maybe we found it more amusing when it seemed more justified. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4
23 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

On the other hand, I am completely disagreeing with Fraser's comments about the chef/food.

I agree. I don't usually order any expensive options while out dining, however, I have noticed the more the restaurant is considered "high end" the smaller the actual dishes are, along with smaller portions of food, and very little garnish. And I prefer it that way.

• Like 3
On 5/7/2024 at 12:27 PM, gaPeach said:

There was a season when one of the stews, Kyle I think, meet up with a guest after charter.  I think it was even at their post charter dinner/clubbing.  

Ashton also met up with a guest on one of their nights out in Thailand.  It was a season with Chef Kevin, and the guests were from Charleston.  I just remember this because one of the guests on the charter also appeared in a few episodes of "Southern Charm".  

I remember this because the other female crew members weren't happy that Ashton texted the guest to let her know what club they would be partying at.

• Useful 4