Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Girl Meets Smackle

Smackle?  Who the hell comes up with these names?

I suppose we will know for sure when we see a preview, but I suppose it's as cliched and dumb as Smackle being a female version of Farkle.

Smackle?  Who the hell comes up with these names?

I suppose we will know for sure when we see a preview, but I suppose it's as cliched and dumb as Smackle being a female version of Farkle.

Yea I was wondering too.

Thought it was an episode where someone would slap Farkle at first... until I read the episode synopsis.

Maybe it's her nickname? We can all hope...

I was just thinking this show needed another girl with long wavy hair. 

Putting the unfortunate character name aside, I'm happy to see them introducing more kids. When BMW reached its stride, it had Cory and Shawn interacting with a lot of other kids. I thought Farkle's friends were promising the last time we saw them.

• Love 2

I was just thinking this show needed another girl with long wavy hair. 

Putting the unfortunate character name aside, I'm happy to see them introducing more kids. When BMW reached its stride, it had Cory and Shawn interacting with a lot of other kids. I thought Farkle's friends were promising the last time we saw them.

Me too. It's good to see them interacting with other kids inside the school. Definitely. They seemed pretty funny and good, interaction wise.

Finally saw a preview for this episode last weekend.  I know that ALL Disney characters are just the nicest people in the world but I like seeing things like this were teenage girls actually help one another. 

Another episode where a character wants to change herself? Really? This show is getting repetitive. Every other episode is about a character changing herself/ getting a make over. Riley wanting to be like Maya, Riley becoming nerd, and now making over a nerd. There's only been around 8 episodes so far... and they've already repeated the same plot 3 times. 

Another episode where a character wants to change herself? Really? This show is getting repetitive. Every other episode is about a character changing herself/ getting a make over. Riley wanting to be like Maya, Riley becoming nerd, and now making over a nerd. There's only been around 8 episodes so far... and they've already repeated the same plot 3 times. 

Dang. That's frustrating.

We're there ever any repeat plots in BMW? It's been too long since I've seen it to remember.

Dang. That's frustrating.

We're there ever any repeat plots in BMW? It's been too long since I've seen it to remember.

Its been a while for me too. But I don't remember BMW repeating the exact same plot every other episode. 

I hope the episode surpasses my limited expectations.

Edited by Lord Kira

Its been a while for me too. But I don't remember BMW repeating the exact same plot every other episode. 

I hope the episode surpasses my limited expectations.

Same here. Hoping that there's NO cheesy dialogue in it. Those are the ones that make me want to throw something at my tv.

Blah, that clip....more of Corey acting like their friend, not their teacher. So over him being their teacher.

Same. He's supposed to be an adult.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed that. Despite the repetitive storyline, I thought they did it quite well. I liked Sparkle. And this was without a doubt Lucas's best episode. They should let him be charming more often. I really enjoyed his scenes with Maya. I think I might start to actually ship them.

Topanga had the best lines of the night with "I wonder how many people the idea of Cory and Topanga has ruined?" and "Oh no, I married Feeny!"

As for things I didn't like? Wasting time on a side-story for a 5 year old. I just don't care. Also, I don't like Farkle; other then what I dubbed "life-lesson" time, he is always over the top annoying. And during the end credits I rolled my eyes so hard. The kid can be a good dramatic actor, the but writing for what is supposed be be his comedy stinks.

Riley continues to be annoying. She needs to dial it back a few notches or something. Her constant smiling is creepy. Just imagine that smiling face with white make-up and green hair. 

Edited by Lord Kira

I just found out who Smackle reminds me of... over the top Bones/Brennan! *ugh* I really didn't like when that happened on Bones, and I'm not really a fan of it here on Girl Meets World either. 

I didn't mind the side story for the 5-year old tbh. Topanga's reaction to him not being able to be with Ava was priceless :p. The kid was a brat. He deserves better imo. Hope he can find it someday.

Agreed about Riley. She reminds me of Corey TOO much, and not in a good way.

I love Farkle and Maya but still don't like Lucas. But tonight he actually did something remotely funny after EIGHT episodes in. When he tried to do the haah thing I actually laughed.

I usually like Auggie and his subplots but I wasn't a fan of Auggie's mini side plot tonight. I felt those scenes were a waste a time too.

I totally agree about Riley too. She irks me.

Another tiny nitpick I have is that I hate when Riley (and Maya only in tonight's episode) says something and then points to it with her arm sticking out.

I should put that in the count o meter along the with the "how ya doin" line or when they keep saying the same world multiple times throughout the episode (ex: world, universe, truth, etc).

Edited by MoonWalker

I loved this episode. Lucas was finally given something to do other than look pretty! I now officially ship Lucas and Maya. The best lines of the night were (paraphrasing) "How many people has Cory and Topanga ruined?" and "Oh no! I married Feeny!" I like Auggie, though I think they need to cut back on the "I'm only this many!" That's getting annoying. "Ava! Even when I think about her backwards, it's still Ava!" and "Yay! Even when I think about it backwards, it's still yay!" I also really like Farkle's two geek friends that were on the debate team and I want them to keep appearing.

I thought the classroom scene was the smoothest one they've had. They were all (Cory included) interacting with each other, and Cory actually looked competent for once. I've decided that Cory being in charge of everything is the new Feeny teaching them every single year. The message this episode was a great one too, and one that kids, especially girls, need to hear. I also like that they had Lucas talk about being more than a pretty face or athlete; I think boys need to hear that message as much as girls need to hear that their outward beauty doesn't define them. 

• Love 1

Topanga's best episode yet. I loved the callbacks and her disgust at Ava. It's funny to see Cory and Topanga's hypocrisy when it comes to their children dating. I think the Maya/Riley friendship is beginning to settle in naturally. They had a good rapport when they were on the same side instead of their differences being so strongly highlighted. I also like Maya's "I already have one weird friend." I'm hoping due to the "life lesson wrapped in a class lesson wrapped in a box full of nothing" means they will ease off of that type of storyline a bit.

• Love 1

So what were the conflicting sides in the debate?

The topic was "Is beauty only skin deep?" and in a debate typically one side needs to take pro and the other con. Meaning one side needs to argue beauty is only skin deep and that what's inside really counts, and one side needs to argue that beauty isn't skin deep, and beauty either reflects who you are inside, or is more important than what's inside.

Both sides were arguing that the inside is more important than beauty though. How does Smackle win when she changes her position (which should've been the merits of beauty) midway through the debate? Anyone can win a debate if they just abandon their own stance and adopt the other sides.

This is the second academic competition that this school has just done in a ridiculous manner.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

I think they were both debating the same side of the debate at the beginning too. Both argued school uniforms would hurt their individuality. Although, given the monstrosity Riley was wearing, the green tops and orange pants, maybe school uniforms would be good for her. Also, I know things have changed a lot since I was in 7th grade, but why are 13 year olds strolling around school in 4 inch heels. 

Again, what exactly is Corey teaching them? Or grading? I find it interesting/irritating that most of his lessons are not things I learned about in history class but English class instead. 

Oh, and Auggie is still "this many", so I officially need him tested now to make sure he's getting the proper help he needs. Maybe by the time he's two full hands, he will stop saying it. 

It was nice to see Topanga with all the kids for a change. Have we had a scene with just Auggie a Corey? 

I'm convinced that Riley has early-onset Eric Matthews Disease (see also "Rose Nyland Disease," "Ted Baxter Disease" -- basically, any example of a character who is just too stupid to live). Cory and Topanga know this, so they let her get away with all kinds of juvenile shit because in a year or two, she's going to be too stupid to tie her shoes or even remember how to breathe.

I was annoyed at how disrespectful Maya was. Really, she addresses the teacher as "Matthews"? Except for Eric's "Feeney" call, did any of the "Boy Meets World" cast ever address Mr. Feeney as anything other than "Mr. Feeney," especially when in school? 

Once again, Cory's lesson (today we're studying Greek history; last week, it was the Civil War; and the time before that, a spelling bee, or whatever) deals with the lesson Riley and Maya need to learn. (Was it my imagination, or are they starting to get meta about this? Didn't Riley say something about whatever lesson Cory had to teach her this week?)

Also, Auggie annoys me. Not the "I'm this many" bit, but that a 5-year-old is (1) noticing girls, (2) that he has a girlfriend at all, and (3) that he thinks she supposed to be the love of his life.

I grow more impressed with Sabrina Carpenter each episode. It occurred to me that Disney has recreated the studio system of old -- they have all this kids in their stable, put them in various sitcoms or original movies until they're old enough to go out on their own. Some will do well, others will crash and burn, and we'll read about them in the "Stars We've Lost" section at year's end.

• Love 1

Why once again is Cory the person running yet ANOTHER club?  Don't those other teachers and school administrators do ANYTHING?

I grow more impressed with Sabrina Carpenter each episode. It occurred to me that Disney has recreated the studio system of old -- they have all this kids in their stable, put them in various sitcoms or original movies until they're old enough to go out on their own. Some will do well, others will crash and burn, and we'll read about them in the "Stars We've Lost" section at year's end.

Many of these Disney kids blur together for me though (and many of the Nickelodeon ones, who are in a similar "farm").  But this girl is special even in that crowd, I think.  She's the single best thing in every episode.  Every time.

• Love 1

The topic was "Is beauty only skin deep?" and in a debate typically one side needs to take pro and the other con. Meaning one side needs to argue beauty is only skin deep and that what's inside really counts, and one side needs to argue that beauty isn't skin deep, and beauty either reflects who you are inside, or is more important than what's inside.

Both sides were arguing that the inside is more important than beauty though. How does Smackle win when she changes her position (which should've been the merits of beauty) midway through the debate? Anyone can win a debate if they just abandon their own stance and adopt the other sides.

This is the second academic competition that this school has just done in a ridiculous manner.

I don't think they do conflicting sides on the Disney Channel...

• Love 1

Are we suppose to want Lucas with Maya or Riley? I'm not shipping either but the writing for Maya and Lucas reminds me of how Joey and Pacey started off on Dawson's Creek. Topanga and Shawn weren't this antagonistic towards each other were they? I remember the episodes where Eric as obsessed with Topanga because she beat him up but Eric straight up lost his damn mind. With Maya and Lucas I'm just not sure if we're suppose to want those two to happen or not.

Also Riley and Maya reminds me of how Usagi on Sailor Moon can just be friends with anyone. That's kind of cool even with someone like Farkle. Cory and Shawn was awful towards Mincus but with Riley and Maya you can tell they'd fight anyone who messes with him. Some things this show gets right, in other places they get it wrong. They way Cory loses control of his class is one thing but maybe it's just how young teachers are now a days? I haven't been in public school in a good decade and I can only remember a handful of teachers who taught the way Cory does.

Finally I continue to love the hell out of Sabrina Carpenter. I think if Disney doesn't eat her soul or her parents doesn't introduce her to Diana Jenkins she could be a star. She has a nice voice, has nice comedic timing and I can see that she could probably handle dramatic stuff in the future. I don't think I'd ever felt that way about a Disney Channel kid since Hilary Duff, Raven, Brenda Strong (Still hoping she gets a huge break.) and Lee Thombson Young. I didn't ever think Miley, Selena and Demi would go places. The only other person I like on this network is the girl who plays on Austin and Ally.

That's exactly what I said at the end.  "Um...didn't they both say the same thing?  How is this a debate?"

I'm convinced that Riley has early-onset Eric Matthews Disease (see also "Rose Nyland Disease," "Ted Baxter Disease" -- basically, any example of a character who is just too stupid to live).

I was annoyed at how disrespectful Maya was. Really, she addresses the teacher as "Matthews"? Except for Eric's "Feeney" call, did any of the "Boy Meets World" cast ever address Mr. Feeney as anything other than "Mr. Feeney," especially when in school?

Riley wishes she was as hilarious as Uncle Eric.  The manifestation of his disease gave me some good laughs.

The BMW cast didn't call Mr. Feeny anything but "Mr. Feeny" to his face the first few years.  But from season 5 forward (basically, when it started getting a little surreal), they'd call him anything from "George" to "old man" to his face.  Not often, but it happened.

I'm not shipping either but the writing for Maya and Lucas reminds me of how Joey and Pacey started off on Dawson's Creek. Topanga and Shawn weren't this antagonistic towards each other were they?

Lucas and Maya wish they could be the best couple ever.  This comparison is immediately invalidated to me because I don't hate Riley (yet). ;-) But no, Topanga and Shawn were never like this with each other.

With Maya and Lucas I'm just not sure if we're suppose to want those two to happen or not.

Pretty sure we (the audience) is supposed to want Lucas with Riley, but mehh..Lucas and Maya seem like so much more fun and are working for me as a pairing vs he and Riley. Too bad this show wasn't set in high school, because I don't think we'll see any real progression for a while.

Also, Auggie annoys me. Not the "I'm this many" bit, but that a 5-year-old is (1) noticing girls, (2) that he has a girlfriend at all, and (3) that he thinks she supposed to be the love of his life.

I kind of wish they had kept the older brother character for Riley instead of Auggie. I mean he's cute and all, but sometimes can be a little too much.

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 2

Since the topic of relationships on the show keeps coming up, I've started a new topic specifically to discuss the various 'ships of the show. It'll definitely be an ongoing topic, so I've moved all the posts not specific to this particular episode over to the new thread. Thanks! 

• Love 1

I think they were both debating the same side of the debate at the beginning too. Both argued school uniforms would hurt their individuality. Although, given the monstrosity Riley was wearing, the green tops and orange pants, maybe school uniforms would be good for her. Also, I know things have changed a lot since I was in 7th grade, but why are 13 year olds strolling around school in 4 inch heels

This has been bothering me so much! Combined with the amazing hair and makeup, these are just tiny women we're watching, not girls. It's creepy!

• Love 1

This has been bothering me so much! Combined with the amazing hair and makeup, these are just tiny women we're watching, not girls. It's creepy!

It's been bothering me too, how come these girls never wear sneakers. They both look like they're about to strut down the runway of a fashion show. LOL.

• Love 2

I think they were both debating the same side of the debate at the beginning too. Both argued school uniforms would hurt their individuality. Although, given the monstrosity Riley was wearing, the green tops and orange pants, maybe school uniforms would be good for her. Also, I know things have changed a lot since I was in 7th grade, but why are 13 year olds strolling around school in 4 inch heels.

Not exactly, in the first debate both raised the point that individuality would be supressed by uniforms. But while Smackle argued that individuality and uniqueness is a precious asset, Farkle argued that individuality will be unnecessary in a future where everyone works for Farkle.

So I have no problem with that first debate. Farkle was in favor of uniforms, because it supresses individuality preparing everyone for the future. Smackle was against uniforms because it supresses individuality which she argued was a benefit.

Edited by Maximum Taco

"Another episode where a character wants to change herself? Really? This show is getting repetitive. Every other episode is about a character changing herself/ getting a make over. Riley wanting to be like Maya, Riley becoming nerd, and now making over a nerd. There's only been around 8 episodes so far... and they've already repeated the same plot 3 times."

didn't even notice but you're right lol this episode though was actually enjoyable out of those three. smackle was sweet as pie, not in teh way she was acting throughout the episode but the actress herself was just so sweet and cute lol. i did like the ending with her speech, the hug, and they boy riley gave her. all of it was just great. glad to see it wasn't an episode where glasses are seen as terrible, granted they were the first thing riley/maya pulled off of smackle's face when making her over ( i was frustrated at that), but other things made up for it.

"Dang. That's frustrating.

We're there ever any repeat plots in BMW? It's been too long since I've seen it to remember."

Why is it that every time someone says something about this show, something negative or points out something that bothers them, people bring it back to boy meets world. people holler "don't compare the two shows" but then compare the two shows to justify sticking up for it when someone says something negative. "oh BMW was cheesy, and oh farkle and minkus are alike" to that last one, minkus was NOTHING like farkle!! that's what's frustrating to me, BMW was better than this show and always will be!! the show i standing on it's own-on it's own-has way more flaws than one can ignore simply because oh the show it's based off of was somewhat similar U_U