Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/8/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, April 8 – Jerrod Carmichael (“Jerrod Carmichael Reality Show")

Tuesday, April 9 – Russ Tamblyn (author, “Dancing on the Edge”) joined by his daughter Amber Tamblyn; Lauren Wesley Wilson (founder and CEO, ColorComm)

Wednesday, April 10 – Kirsten Dunst, Cailee Spaeny and Wagner Moura (“Civil War”)

Thursday, April 11 – Wayne Brady (Broadway’s “The Wiz”); the co-hosts and their canines celebrate National Pet Day with a “View Yappy Hour”

Friday, April 12 – Day of Hot Topics

• Thanks 2

I'm anxious to see Russ Tamblyn.  He appears in my all time favorite movie musical number:

Russ is in the blue shirt.  He wasn't a professional dancer, but he started out as a gymnast, so the dance moves came easily for him. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

He appears in my all time favorite movie musical number:

FANTASTIC! I wonder how many takes it took to film the whole thing...

• Like 3
(edited)

I remember being surprised to learn Amber was his daughter. She’s always a great guest.

Oh, great. Pet Day. Will they all drag their dogs to the studio again?

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm anxious to see Russ Tamblyn.  He appears in my all time favorite movie musical number:

Russ is in the blue shirt.  He wasn't a professional dancer, but he started out as a gymnast, so the dance moves came easily for him. 

Did the 7 'brothers' all have their hair dyed red for the movie?  I've only seen it in B&W and never noticed. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Denize said:

Did the 7 'brothers' all have their hair dyed red for the movie?  I've only seen it in B&W and never noticed. 

Yes, I'm guessing they did.  Here's another interesting tidbit:  The guy in the orange shirt is not an actor/dancer.  He is a baseball player who somehow got cast in the movie.  I think they wanted to cast a "name" of the day and I guess he was well known in baseball.  He thankfully pretty much stays in the background in all the dancing bits.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
59 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

For anyone shaking their head at what Sunny said yesterday you weren't the only one.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sunny-hostin-eclipse-earthquake-climate-change_n_661509a9e4b0b83411a177fb

That's her crazy catholic upbringing showing its ugly face again. Nobody mentioned to her (or knows?) that there are a MINIMUM of 4 eclipses in any given year, 2 solar & 2 lunar, but they happen in different places around the world. Sometimes there are more.

They all laughed at MTG saying the same sort of thing but not at Sunny, very disingenuous of them although MTG is way more dangerous.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

That's her crazy catholic upbringing showing its ugly face again.

You do know, Shrek, that Roman Catholicism is one of the three branches of Christianity, the other two being Protestantism and the Orthodox churches, don't you?

Just now, Js Nana said:

You do know, Shrek, that Roman Catholicism is one of the three branches of Christianity, the other two being Protestantism and the Orthodox churches, don't you?

I know plenty but Sunny was brought up & still is a catholic and is also on the View and expressed her view there which is what was being discussed, not religion in general. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I know plenty

Let me put my objection to your comment to rest, Shrek, by saying that I would have found your disparagement of Ms. Hostin's religion objectionable no matter what her religious affiliation was - - have a nice day.

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

For anyone shaking their head at what Sunny said yesterday you weren't the only one.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sunny-hostin-eclipse-earthquake-climate-change_n_661509a9e4b0b83411a177fb

Oh, my Lord. No words, really.

As to the Cicadas, well, Whoopi, I recall there was a bunch of them the summer I bought my car in 2019! Yep, And I got an air blower thingamabob to blow the dead ones out from under my windshield wipers. That wasn't...17 years ago.

And where was Sunny then? Living under a rock?

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As to the Cicadas, well, Whoopi, I recall there was a bunch of them the summer I bought my car in 2019! Yep, And I got an air blower thingamabob to blow the dead ones out from under my windshield wipers. That wasn't...17 years ago.

I agree, GHScorpios...  Copied/pasted from the 'net.  I'm in Arizona, so I want readers to take particular notice of the last sentence.  We hear them every summer and see their interesting little empty shells stuck on trees, etc.    "Periodic cicadas, however, do synchronize their emerging, so every 10–17 years depending on the species, large groups (broods) of cicadas emerge at the same time. In the Northeastern United States, Brood X emerged during the summer of 2021. In Arizona, annual cicadas are more common."

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I agree, GHScorpios...  Copied/pasted from the 'net.  I'm in Arizona, so I want readers to take particular notice of the last sentence.  We hear them every summer and see their interesting little empty shells stuck on trees, etc.    "Periodic cicadas, however, do synchronize their emerging, so every 10–17 years depending on the species, large groups (broods) of cicadas emerge at the same time. In the Northeastern United States, Brood X emerged during the summer of 2021. In Arizona, annual cicadas are more common."

I should have added that yes, it had been some time before 2019 that we got them in the DMV area. I know they disgust me and I squeal like a toddler. I always expect the rain to blow the carcasses away from my balcony, since I don't have a hose that extends long enough from my kitchen to the balcony. I live in a high rise.

It was the tone Sunny was using that had me baffled. Like she was an uninformed maroon, unaware of the many cycles of Cicadas, eclipses. We had one just 7 years ago! 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

That's her crazy catholic upbringing showing its ugly face again.

As an atheist for the past 59 years ... but a devout and happy Catholic the first 25, all "Catholic upbringing" isn't CRAZY. Mine: Non-practicing Episcopalian father. Strict, devout Catholic mother...12 years of Catholic school...and still I was taught to respect others' beliefs.  In respecting, one can't help but understand how others might view mine.  What I've noticed is that there are many fears and superstitions brought from "the old country" that Catholics as young as Sunny seem to believe and carry with them. Sunny mixes a lot of her superstitions with her faith. She seems to think all Catholics should believe as she does.  They don't.

I'm always disappointed in the abortion discussions where she says her strong stance on that topic is "because I'm Cath-o-lic."  Apparently she thinks that's enough.  Is it the only tenet she uses to support an opinion?  Does she never go against her church's teaching on anything else...like IVF?  It's time that she gives an honest opinion--and doesn't shirk the responsibility of her opinion...like many "Cafeteria Catholics."

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was the tone Sunny was using that had me baffled. Like she was an uninformed maroon, unaware of the many cycles of Cicadas, eclipses.

Her "tone" does MORE than baffle me.  Still, I'm not as tired of her as I am of Whoopi...but it's getting close.

• Like 1

Sunny picks and chooses what tenets she believes as it suits her. That’s fine, most of us do. I was hoping her alarm over earthquake/eclipse/cicadas was a joke because anyone can Google the science. Yes, earthquakes happen on fault lines even if rare. Yes, solar eclipses occur regularly somewhere in the world. Yes, cicadas pop up every summer, but there are some species that take many years to hatch. It’s science, not a sign of the apocalypse.

I was late to the show and only heard a bit of the Tamblyns but enjoyed seeing Russ. And Amber is always welcome. 

• Love 1
(edited)

At the end of the day what Sunny or anyone else believes (even if it's crazy message from god theories) they are more than welcome to believe in the comfort of their own homes/churches/mosques/ with their friends & relatives etc. but once they go on national tv spouting such shit as fact then they become fair game for being called out as ridiculous & crazy. Even her own cohosts started trying to cover for her or were just so aghast at what she was saying that they seemed dumbfounded & unable to speak. 

No matter what we think there are people watching the craziness they see on the view & repeating it as fact to their friends so they all need to be very careful what they say sometimes & this was a prime example. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3

I used to think Sunny took up the mantle left by Meghan McCain...but today I got flashbacks to Sherri Shephard (world is flat, thinking Christians came earlier than they really did, etc).

Cicadas have always come and gone for many years..and solar eclipses have always come in increments...and earthquakes have been a thing for a long time as well.

No need to do anything to make Sunny appear stupid...she takes care of that herself.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I used to think Sunny took up the mantle left by Meghan McCain...but today I got flashbacks to Sherri Shephard (world is flat, thinking Christians came earlier than they really did, etc).

Cicadas have always come and gone for many years..and solar eclipses have always come in increments...and earthquakes have been a thing for a long time as well.

No need to do anything to make Sunny appear stupid...she takes care of that herself.

i guess i missed that she said these stupid things today and i am really surprised 

i am not a big fan of hers but have always thought she was really smart but this makes me wonder

• Like 2

It is so annoying when Whoopi decides to get involved when a guest is trying to explain the premise of their book. The main problem is that she doesn't add anything to the topic and in some cases seems to be trying to refute the author's points. Other than that, I thought that the author today made some good points about the importance of being "on the team" at work. I have to admit that there were times when I was working that I didn't take advantage of the "after work" opportunities to network and lost out on the chance of solidifying work relationships. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Other than that, I thought that the author today made some good points about the importance of being "on the team" at work. I have to admit that there were times when I was working that I didn't take advantage of the "after work" opportunities to network and lost out on the chance of solidifying work relationships. 

I kept thinking how alien this concept must be to Whoopi.  She certainly doesn't socialize with her coworkers.  Not that she needs to but it shows that she doesn't consider herself part of a team.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Glorious said:

I thought Sunny was kidding about the eclipse, cicadas and earthquakes but it seems she wasn't.  

The problem with thinking that is that she hasn't ever shown that she has a sense of humor, even when she smiles it's more of a sneer.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I did something similar to the writing angry notes and shredding them thing.  About a decade about, I realized that I was getting hung up on a lot of negativity (both past and present) so what I started doing was any time I had a negative thought, I would write it down and put it in a jar.  At the end of the week, I would take the notes in the jar and burn them.  What happened was that just by having to write down and acknowledge the negative thoughts, it made me self correct and purposely redirect myself.  After awhile, I stopped writing most of them down and would just self re-direct myself, saving the writing down for only when I was really upset about something.  I only did it for a few months because after that amount of time, I wasn't having very many negative/angry thoughts and didn't need it anymore.  Should probably start doing it again since I've been under a lot of stress lately and could use a positivity boost.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
7 hours ago, Shrek said:

Have to give props to Joy today for calling out Anna & her constant name dropping. 

I had a funny realization this week re: Anna's namedropping. She frequently mentions her best friend <Liev Schreiber>. I'm a fan of Liev Schreiber and thought that an Ana/Liev friendship was odd. I wondered: How did they meet? What do they have in common? What do they do together? What makes them best friends? Does Liev really not have closer friends? . On Friday's podcast (which I listened to on Monday otw to work), Ana said that her best friend <Liev Schreiber> got married in NY because it wasn't legal in Florida at the time. I thought, "Wait a minute! I know Liev Schreiber got married recently, but to a woman....he's not gay!" Now this really made me do some research. I looked up if Ana and Liev follow each other on Instagram. They don't! I continued looking up Ana's followers and sure enough there was a Lee Schrager! I went on this Lee's Instagram and sure enough there is a post with a comment from Ana in which she declares herself his bff. My goodness, for a long time I had been imagining and wondering about a nonexistent friendship between Ana and Liev Schreiber. 😆 Thanks for reading. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 19

Whoopi even had to correct Sunny on her pronunciation of Cicadas.

Was Sunny also surprised that an invisible phase of the New Moon was eclipsing the sun (since the sun was shining on it's back, not the side we could see)?

• Like 1
(edited)

That is too funny, @Blissfool!

If these women would spend 10 minutes looking into the hot topics they’d make more sense. Alyssa was totally right about Ron Klain’s remarks. He was criticizing Biden for focusing too much on infrastructure projects rather than addressing kitchen table issues.  It is a real disconnect for a whole lot of people who don’t understand that the government doesn’t control the market. (Hello, capitalism!). As usual Whoopi was babbling about a whole different issue and didn’t want to listen. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

You are right, Haleth. Anyone who follows news would know that Klain's remarks were about the infrastructure projects, not the tragedy of the Baltimore bridge collapse. I had to fast forward through that section to keep my sanity. Also, the Fed has an impact on fiscal policy, and corporations control their prices on goods, and President Biden can't determine the price of Lucky Charms or other food products.

Edited by Kenz
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I appreciated the ladies pushing back on Alyssa on what specifically Biden could do to lower grocery prices.   Disappointed that she had no answer.   Sunny tried to throw her a bone with an option, but she kept sputtering non specifics

She also needs to find a new grocery store if she's paying $5 for a red onion.   

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Of course Alyssa didn’t have an answer, that wasn’t her point. The fact Sunny and Joy even asked the question shows that they misunderstood Ron Klain’s conversation.  She’s saying Biden needs to address the issue for the millions of disaffected voters who are looking for relief. If they think Biden doesn’t care it might adversely affect the election. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Candace Cameron Bure will be a guest on the show tomorrow. Friday's are usually my favorite without Whoopi, but can't say I'm too excited for that. Arizona governor Katie Hobbs will be on tomorrow as well.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, atomic said:

Candace Cameron Bure will be a guest on the show tomorrow. Friday's are usually my favorite without Whoopi, but can't say I'm too excited for that. Arizona governor Katie Hobbs will be on tomorrow as well.

Oh, Lord, CCB on a day when they will be discussing abortion legislation?  I’m surprised she agreed to do this. 

• Sad 1
(edited)

I am surprised they only mentioned OJ's death and did not discuss.

Oh. When they do not use the bell.

Seems like Whoopi gets her opinion before as moderator, during the discussion, and as they leave for break

Edited by maggiemae
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, After7Only said:

I appreciated the ladies pushing back on Alyssa on what specific tally Biden could do to lower grocery prices.   Disappointed that she had no answer.   Sunny tried to throw her a bone with an option, but she kept sputtering non specifics

She also needs to find a new grocery store if she's paying $5 for a red onion.   

Alyssa may claim that she's anti-Trump and will never vote for him again but what she doesn't mention is that she's still a staunch Conservative who will do and say anything to keep Biden fro being elected. She's still bound to all the Republican policies which are so antithetic to most voters who pay attention to what's being offered by the two different parties. She was really worked up today and was determined to get all her anti-Biden/Democratic opinions out there.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
On 4/9/2024 at 1:14 PM, Shrek said:

At the end of the day what Sunny or anyone else believes (even if it's crazy message from god theories) they are more than welcome to believe in the comfort of their own homes/churches/mosques/ with their friends & relatives etc. but once they go on national tv spouting such shit as fact then they become fair game for being called out as ridiculous & crazy.

I read the various comments here about what Sunny said, so was happy to get a look at the clip. First Sunny was describing how their make-up person was reacting to the earthquake and then she brought in the recent eclipse and the cicadas (yet to come), couching it similar to "some people could believe there is a connection." It was sort of distancing herself from having that opinion, but still, she brought it up, so she seemed to be trying to have it both ways.

• Like 2

I’m glad they had the proper time to discuss the Simpson case today, focusing on the victims. It was clear yesterday that Whoopi had absolutely zero interest in discussing it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, TimWil said:

It was clear yesterday that Whoopi had absolutely zero interest in discussing it

This should be a boilerplate we can just copy and paste.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:28 PM, maggiemae said:

Seems like Whoopi gets her opinion before as moderator, during the discussion, and as they leave for break

"Here's the thing..."

• Like 4
  • LOL 2