Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: Auditions: Day One

• Start Topic

This season will also debut a documentary-style look at the contestants' dynamics, following them throughout the competition as they go through their personal and competitive journeys in the all-new "Auditions: Day One" season premiere episode of So You Think You Can Dance airing Monday, March 4 (9:01 - 10:00 ET/PT) on FOX.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

So Contemporary guy who was amazing (audible gasps from the judges on his jump) gets a no because he needs to "show more of himself" or something. Meanwhile mediocre at best break dancing guy gets a yes and a chance to bring more because I don't know.

I miss the old show.

• Like 2
(edited)

It’s good to have the show back.  I was surprised they didn’t like the contemporary guy that reminded me of Billy Bell (you know the one).  I enjoyed the ballroom dancers at the beginning.  I hate the audition eps so I’m looking forward to the end of this process.  It’s nice that all the judges are experts in a dance style that will be highlighted on the show.

Edited by Backwards999
  • Like 2
(edited)

I wonder how many audition episodes there are because they can only feature so many dancers in one hour.  Apparently they invited 100 dancers to audition, so I wonder how they decide which ones to show auditioning.

Roman - ballroom
Easton - contemporary
Justice - hip hop (NO)
Olivia - contemporary 
Maximus - hip hop (NO)
O'Shea - hip hop 
Kyler - contemporary (NO)
Kenzie - contemporary (NO)
Dakyala - gymnastics/dance
Jin - Chinese folk, bone breaking and waving

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

I believe this panel of judges is trying really hard to give the producers what they want, while staying true to the dancers. I just wish Comfort was staying on...

As always, the kids are doing their best. I suspect they too realize what a tense time this is for the future of the show. 

• Like 8

I also liked that all three judges were experts on different genres. I also wish that Comfort could have stayed. At least, Nigel wasn't in this set of auditions so they could use footage without re-filming. I have no idea if he was in other auditions so they couldn't use that footage. 

I hope they don't try to have too much drama when they show contestants living together. I just want to see dance and the learning process.

• Like 6
(edited)

I did not know they were doing this new style of auditions and was like, wow, these are the most curated, staged, scripted auditions ever! Seems like kind of a "The Voice" format when we have to see them at home and learn the saddest/most challenging thing about their life immediately. I hate that. 

Having said that, so glad the show is back, and Jojo is nowhere to be seen. WTF with that 30 second tribute to Twitch. They could have shown some of his amazing dancing highlights in different styles! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 2

I knew they’d have to say something about tWitch but even when it happened I was unprepared. That hit me hard and I ended up crying as if I’d actually known him. That surprised me.

I liked that the judges were trying to offer actual critiques rather than just cheerleading.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 3
(edited)

I've seen only "Fabio" (heh) from Kiev, and Easton from "SYTYCD, JRS."

I have read no Spoilers, but I'm calling it now: Easton FTW.  

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2

I miss the old show in its glory days of course, but I think they did a pretty good job with this. I figured it wasn’t coming back so I’m glad they are giving it a go and maybe at this point it’s a good thing to change up the format and style a bit. The Twitch segment got me. I’m guessing they will probably mention him again at some point; it would be nice to have a dance tribute to him. It’s just still unbearably sad. 

I wish Comfort could be on the whole duration of the show, too. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Jin was really interesting. I really hope they get more variety. I’m not a huge contemporary fan so a tapper, highland dancer….anything to break up the angst. 

• Like 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, desertflower said:

wish Comfort could be on the whole duration of the show, too. 

Me too...because JoJo gives me a headache. I'd take the hot tamale train any day over JoJo.

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Like 9

My biggest issue with JoJo was the way she played favourites last year. Maybe not being around for the auditions will slow that this time around. 

I hated Roman's outfit for his audition. I found it so distracting. I do think he has some real potential. I always want the ballroom contestants to succeed on this show. It has always been so skewed towards contemporary cross-trained dancers that I root for the ones with a different background.

The way multiple contemporary auditions started with back bends was so annoying. I guess it's the new tilt.

• Like 5

I didn't even know the show was back until I saw a blurb about it in the NYTimes on Monday. Have to agree with TVbitch above that the auditions at least look extremely "curated, staged, scripted." Remember when they used to audition on a stage in a real theatre? And there's not much suspense about who's going on to the next round -- if they show a filmed backstory first you go through. I, too, wish Comfort was a judge for the whole season -- anyone but Jojo, who gives me a migraine; Screaming Mary, even, or, sigh, Debbie Allen. (I also wish they would scrape about a half pound of slap off Alison's face.)

• Like 4

I wonder if they had to do some creative editing of the auditions due to Nigel's exit. Did the auditions start before or after he got booted? If before, I was wonder what would happen with those contestants and their auditions since they wouldn't be able to use any footage that had Nigel in it.

I also can't stand Jojo and wish they'd brought Mary back or one of the previous season winners or dancers instead. And I can deal with the pound of makeup on Alison but every time they show a side view of her all I can see are the mile long fake eyelashes. I hate those things.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Wait!  What?  They're replacing Comfort with JoJo Silwa?  

UGH.

Jin, the last dancer, actually made me cry–even before the "spontaneous" (not!) tribute to Twitch.

I have no idea why.  I didn't even like her dancing particularly.

34 minutes ago, Maximona said:

Wait!  What?  They're replacing Comfort with JoJo Silwa?  

UGH.

Jin, the last dancer, actually made me cry–even before the "spontaneous" (not!) tribute to Twitch.

I have no idea why.  I didn't even like her dancing particularly.

They're replacing Nigel with Jojo. Now that I say that maybe Nigel never was involved in the auditions since Comfort was there?

Noooo! Fucking Nigel! They couldn't get anyone else?! There are so many talented and well spoken alumni. 

I know the premier didn't do great in the ratings, but I'm hoping that the popularity of DWTS last season will give SYTYCD a bit of a boost.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'd take Leah over JoJo any day of the week. JoJo was awful in so many ways, whereas Leah's awful ways can be counted on 20 digits.

I'm just watching playback of the show and to say that panel's clearly written-for-them dialogue was stilted is an understatement.  I'm pretty sure all three of them can talk from speaking points, why undermine their commentary and expertise like this?  Is making me unhappy.

• Like 4

I finally got to watch.  Really enjoyed the dancers who were put through, especially Easton, Olivia, Dakyala, and Jin.  I'm disappointed Comfort isn't going to be a judge and Jojo will.  She's exhausting.  Oh well, I tend to record the show and FF through the judging anyway.

The clips of tWitch made me cry.

• Like 2
(edited)

The contemporary dancer, who stunned the judges with his amazing performance (eliciting audible gasps), receives a rejection due to needing to "reveal more of himself" or some such critique. Meanwhile, a break dancer, who's only average at best, secures a yes and the opportunity to progress, for reasons plnkgame.com I can't quite fathom.

I long for the days of the old show.

Edited by Calistffmard
  • Like 4