Type keyword(s) to search

Tournament of Champions - Season 5 Discussion Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Why is Britt the "angry Italian"? She seems like a perfectly pleasant woman who I'd like to have a beer with 

I was wondering that last year. When Guy introduced her that way I was expecting someone mean and obnoxious, but she's not that way at all.

I'm glad Amanda and Jet won! Still rooting for Antonia to win the whole competition!

• Like 6

Mei is looking really strong and confident.  I'd be putting my money on her if I was a betting person.  I would love to see one of the OGs win (Jet, Antonia, Amanda) but Mei seems to be totally in the zone.

• Like 2

I was kind of surprised Mei won (though it was beautiful looking). One of the judges pointed out that it was really more of an appetizer dish, which is fair.

I wonder if Marc (being nice) telling Britt he had the pepitas gave her the idea to use them, and they the judges said what a wonderful idea it was :) 

I thought Carlos' dish wasn't a weeknight dinner, so I was worried that this aspect wouldn't count against him given the tie. Glad Jet won on taste.

• Like 6

It was a close call for Jet,  but I'm so glad Carlos Anthony is gone.  He's like fingernails on the blackboard for me.  I wonder if Tiffani was serious about not coming back next year or did I misinterpret her comments after she lost to Amanda?

• Like 11
(edited)
13 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

It was a close call for Jet,  but I'm so glad Carlos Anthony is gone.  He's like fingernails on the blackboard for me.  I wonder if Tiffani was serious about not coming back next year or did I misinterpret her comments after she lost to Amanda?

Yeah, I interpreted it the same way. She is done.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 4

Episode 6: "Wild Card High Jinks!"

The judges: Lorena Garcia, Rocco Dispirito, Jonathan Waxman

Matchup 1: Tiffani Faison vs. Amanda Frietag - Amanda Frietag wins!  Another Champion bites the dust! I believe that Tiffani is done with TOC; she has her belt and ring. I wonder if she will still be friends with Chef AF...

Matchup 2: Jet Tila vs. Carlos Anthony - Jet Tila wins!  I'm so glad Jet won! I really don't like the arrogance from CA considering that Jet beat him twice before! Show some respect to the Jetster. 

Matchup 3: Britt Rescigno vs. Marc Murphy - Britt Rescigno wins!  Honestly, I would have let the pumpkin go, but Britt was able to rock it to her advantage.  MM also seems a bit under the caliber of the other competing chefs. He probably could have utilized his time better in TOC as a judge.

Matchup 4: Mei Lin vs. Lee Ann Wong - Mei Lin wins!  Listen, the reigning champ is a machine! I can see how everyone is not too keen to go up against her. I think the only thing that could stop her from winning a second belt is Randa...

Only two previous TOC champions remain! I'm going to reserve my call on who may win TOC 5 until after next week.

• Like 3

I don’t really understand why even Amanda herself thought her winning with a burger would be a legitimate bone of contention between her and Tiffani, to the point where it might test their friendship (such as it is - no idea if they are truly friends or on-camera, fellow-Chopped-judge friends, The End.)

16 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I wonder if [Tiffani]  will still be friends with Chef AF...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I don’t really understand why even Amanda herself thought her winning with a burger would be a legitimate bone of contention between her and Tiffani, to the point where it might test their friendship (such as it is - no idea if they are truly friends or on-camera, fellow-Chopped-judge friends, The End.)

Well, Sweet T appeared to be quite salty on camera at her loss... You can generally tell how friendly the chefs are with each other with the talking head segments.

• Like 4

So weird. Tobias competed on Chopped tonight. Judges were Brooke, Maneet, and GZ.

Spoiler

He bombed out in the first round.

Not sure what this means for how far he goes in TOC.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Well, Sweet T appeared to be quite salty on camera at her loss... You can generally tell how friendly the chefs are with each other with the talking head segments.

I thought Tiffani was a very gracious loser (as she was last time). She hugged Amanda and was nothing but kind, complimentary, and wished her luck to take the championship.

From their comments on both sides, it seemed like she and AF are friends away from "Chopped," and I can't imagine that would change now -- anymore than when Tiffani beat Amanda.

I do think Tiffani was frustrated with herself (I think she tends to judge herself harshly), and that she may not be back for TOC again.

• Like 12
16 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Agree that Tiffani is very hard on herself.  

Didn't Madison Cowan announce he was done with TOC when he lost a couple of years ago? He hasn't been back since 

Good riddance! I never liked him! Seemed humourless!

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Good riddance! I never liked him! Seemed humourless!

I saw him on another cooking show act like an ass.  And that was after everyone went crazy for him on Chopped.  His smarmy act never fooled me.

• Like 2
(edited)

My F8 predictions 

East A is Kevin Lee vs Antonia Lofaso.  Is he this year’s Shota who came in unheralded and made it to the round of 8 before tapping out or Britt who made the Semi Finals?   I think that this might finally be Antonia’s year.   Antonia in a nail biter. 

East B and West A feature former winners Mei Lin and Maneet Chauhan vs Jet Tila and Tobias Dorzen respectively.  Based on how they have been cooking, I give the edge to the returning champs.  

West B is the biggest toss up with Britt vs Amanda.   I like them both and would be happy with either winning, but I give a slight edge to Britt. 

eta.  If I’m going to be wrong, I’m glad it is with Jet. He has now made the semis 4 seasons in a row.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 2

Mei vs. Jet - I was rooting for her, but am happy for him (but I'll be rooting for Antonia to beat him next round).  After she had to pivot, this just wasn't her usual greatness, so the judging making clear he won did not surprise me at all.  I'd have happily tried both dishes, but neither had me drooling at the TV.  I found this one a rather lackluster match for this stage of the competition, given how kind the randomizer was to them.

Amanda vs. Britt - I was going to be happy either way, but pulling for Britt a little.  I'm glad this season is proving her surprising run last season was not a fluke.  The food in this one looked great; I wanted to reach through the TV and dig into both plates.

Kevin vs. Antonia - This dude already knocked off Brooke and Shirley, so I was nervous for Antonia coming in.  I'm so glad she won, and would not at all mind her winning the whole thing this season.  Interesting to learn Guy had to talk her into competing again this season, because it's clear once she decided to go for it, she put herself in the right mindset to do so.

Maneet vs. Tobias - I was rooting for him, but knew he sunk himself by not meeting the sweet & sour requirement.  To still come within two points is impressive.  Both dishes were so pretty with the use of color. 

• Like 7
(edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 9:23 PM, DEL901 said:

Yeah, I interpreted it the same way. She is done.  

Antonia said tonight that she said no to Guy five times about this season.  Methinks Guy isn't gonna let Tiffani retire from TOC that easily.

I was rooting HARD for Tobias tonight!  I like him anyway, but I seriously don't want Maneet to have two belts.  Her arrogance is beginning to rise to Christa levels.  Britt is beginning to grate on the chesty scale too, although I thought watching her make the pasta was kinda cool.  It seemed oddly calming.  Not sure why.

I HATE that Antonia and Jet are going to take each other out before the finals.  I love them both and would be very happy if either won.  I wanted them to take out Maneet and Britt and then have to face each other for the money.

I was sad about Jet facing Mei for the same reason.  Jet's cool, but I also really like Mei.  I like her quiet classiness and skill.

Serious question from someone (me) who loves these shows but doesn't cook: Do you actually eat banana leaves, or are they just for doing the pouch thing?

Edited by Ohmo
  • Like 6
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I HATE that Antonia and Jet are going to take each other out before the finals.  I love them both and would be very happy if either won.  I wanted them to take out Maneet and Britt and then have to face each other for the money.

Same! No disrespect to Maneet or Britt, they both seem perfectly nice people and fantastic chefs, but I wish Antonia vs. Jet was able to be the grand finale. 

• Like 6
(edited)

Episode 7: "The Great 8 Face Off!"

The judges: Cat Cora, Rocco DiSpirito, Jonathan Waxman (they misspelled his name on the chyron!)

Matchup 1: Jet Tila vs. Mei Lin - Jet Tila wins!  Yet another Champion bit the dust! I like Mei Lin, but I think this is finally Jet's time to go all the way. She is a fierce competitor, but you just can't beat Jet on taste. 

Matchup 2: Britt Rescigno vs. Amanda Frietag - Britt Rescigno wins!  Amanda got dinged on her use of Randa; otherwise, she might have taken it. It was cute to see the "Angry Italian" dissolve in a puddle as Rocco ate her entire dish. I wonder if the judges get to take their tasted dishes home as leftovers? 

Matchup 3: Antonia Lofaso vs. Kevin Lee - Antonia Lofaso wins!  That porridge took Kevin out! We will see how much better he will be in Season 6.  Now Antonia has to face Jet in the Final Four. 

Matchup 4: Tobias Dorzon vs. Maneet Chauhan - Maneet Chauhan wins!  I'm glad Tobias had a solid cook; once Guy tasted the curry and noted that there was no sour in it, I knew Tobias wouldn't win. I finally got an alternative way to make pork belly! I know Maneet isn't many people's cup of tea, but she came in on her A game this episode despite her Randa nightmares.

One previous TOC champion standing as we head to the Final Four! I'm going to root for Jet Tila to win TOC 5!

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Like 7

I've noticed that Jet keeps getting introduced as having X culinary world records. I finally decided to look up what the heck it means, and I think it is completely irrelevant to this sort of competition, so I don't know why they mention it. It's kind of stupid:

the world's largest stir fry (4,010 lbs.); the world's largest seafood stew (6,656 lbs.); and the largest California roll (422 ft.).

I thought Amanda's fried hen and fried mac and cheese looked like a plate of brown. Tasty no doubt, but lost me in the looks department.

I thought Guy did a terrible job explaining what was wrong with Maneet's pressure cooker. Steam was escaping at a low level because the lid wasn't secure. End of story. And my dislike of Maneet's ego increased when she said "I don't think it shut properly." No Maneet, you didn't shut it properly. Also hated her sparkly eye shadow. But sigh, her food looked very yummy.

• Like 3
(edited)

I can understand why Maneet has been bugging people this season, but I’m still proud of her.  I first encountered her when she was a Chopped judge.  I haven’t watched Chopped in years now, but when I was watching a few of the judges were treated like royalty: Alex, Geoffrey, Marcus (duh!), Aaron, and Scott in particular.  Amanda, Maneet, Marc and Chris were treated with respect, but you got the feeling they weren’t on a pedestal like the others.  So I’m impressed with Maneet grabbing herself an effing pedestal already!  She’s obviously a major, major chef.

That said, she could stand to tone down the bragging a bit.  (I get the feeling they are all being egged on by the producers to “talk trash” like athletes, but I wish she in particular would dial it back.)

Edited by Harry24
  • Like 10
(edited)

I was glad that Jet's cook off was shown first so I didn't have to worry about it for much of the show.  I just want him to win this so he can stop being so hard on himself.

I like Britt and it's obvious she's good at what she does but I loooooove Amanda so I was disappointed when she lost.  I didn't see the big-small on her plate though and it seems the judges didn't either.

The third round had me conflicted.  I like Antonia and Kevin both.  I hated to see him lose but he did great for his first appearance and Antonia has tried and tried again so I was happy for her.  

Maneet is a much better chef than I ever realized from watching her on Chopped for years but her success has inflated her ego to an annoying level.  I was rooting for Tobias.  

Jet vs. Antonia is going to make me a nervous wreck even though I know it was over months ago.

Edited by mlp
Correct typo
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Do you actually eat banana leaves

No.  They're probably edible in terms of not being toxic, but, texturally, I can't imagine chewing and swallowing them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, so much for my prediction that Mei would be the winner.   I'm hoping that Jet or Antonia will take the belt, but Maneet really has a great mind for putting out good dishes that meet all the requirements.  Very impressed with how she pivoted when the pressure cooker didn't work out.  Britt is a tough competitor as well.

I had to step away while Amanda was prepping her dish.  How did she explain the big and small elements?  I couldn't see that at all on her plate. 

• Like 4

This is the fourth season in a row that Jet has made the semis.  Only 2 other men have even made it once.   If he doesn’t make the finals , I wonder if he will take a break? 

I was surprised to hear Antonia tell Hunter that it took five tries before Guy convinced her to come back.  I distinctly remember her saying last season that she was going to compete in TOC until she won.  

I hope she wins and I hope Jet wins, so there you go with a serious conflict.  And I most certainly hope Britt wins.  

On an entirely different note: Are the chefs paid to compete?  Sorry if that's been asked and answered.

• Like 4

I think next year, Guy needs to mix up the brackets somehow. The same people are going to keep competing against each other. Maybe divide it North/South instead of East/West.

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I think next year, Guy needs to mix up the brackets somehow. The same people are going to keep competing against each other. Maybe divide it North/South instead of East/West.

Yeah, I don't know why he needs to have any sort of competitive divide - just draw straws as to who goes against whom.

• Like 16

The thing about the set up is (I think) that it is supposed to be similar to the NCAA basketball tournament.  The basketball one is all about seeding and brackets.   I agree that a shake up is needed--it's got to be disheartening to go up against the the same chef that took you out for 3 or 4 years in a row and lose again.  It's also got to be hard for people like KBC and Christa to go out in the first round every year.  Maybe they should change it to if you win, then you don't come back.

I don't know what the answer is, but Guy/Food Network, please come up with something!

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Tippi said:

The thing about the set up is (I think) that it is supposed to be similar to the NCAA basketball tournament.  The basketball one is all about seeding and brackets.   I agree that a shake up is needed--it's got to be disheartening to go up against the the same chef that took you out for 3 or 4 years in a row and lose again.  It's also got to be hard for people like KBC and Christa to go out in the first round every year.  Maybe they should change it to if you win, then you don't come back.

I don't know what the answer is, but Guy/Food Network, please come up with something!

I think they could keep the bracket structure while dropping the strict East/West split. The NCAA bracket has geographic regions, but where your school is located doesn't automatically determine which region you're in. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 3

One side of the bracket is Chefs That Originated On Food Network and the other side is Chefs That Got Their Start on Other Networks/Shows (Top Chef, MasterChef, etc.). Would that work?

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

One side of the bracket is Chefs That Originated On Food Network and the other side is Chefs That Got Their Start on Other Networks/Shows (Top Chef, MasterChef, etc.). Would that work?

By that criteria, Top Chef has won 3/4 belts, Maneet being the only FN chef winner. But this year, the chances of a FN chef are greater than Top Chef (only Antonia remains). It might be worth looking into. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

By that criteria, Top Chef has won 3/4 belts, Maneet being the only FN chef winner. But this year, the chances of a FN chef are greater than Top Chef (only Antonia remains). It might be worth looking into. 

Antonia didn't get her start on FN? (Full disclosure, I'm not 100% sure what chefs would separate into what brackets.)

(edited)

Food Network only recently got around to allowing its hosts to utter the words "Top Chef", so I doubt they'd be keen on drawing that level of attention to non-FN shows.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
12 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Antonia didn't get her start on FN?

She was on TC season 4, back in the dark ages. All her FN stuff came later.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
(edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 4:36 PM, mlp said:

I was glad that Jet's cook off was shown first so I didn't have to worry about it for much of the show.  I just want him to win this so he can stop being so hard on himself.

I like Britt and it's obvious she's good at what she does but I loooooove Amanda so I was disappointed when she lost.  I didn't see the big-small on her plate though and it seems the judges didn't either.

The third round had me conflicted.  I like Antonia and Kevin both.  I hated to see him lose but he did great for his first appearance and Antonia has tried and tried again so I was happy for her.  

Maneet is a much better chef than I ever realized from watching her on Chopped for years but her success has inflated her ego to an annoying level.  I was rooting for Tobias.  

Jet vs. Antonia is going to make me a nervous wreck even though I know it was over months ago.

Very disappointed that Tobias felt the need to pull out the race card.  This competition is made up of many cultures in both the contestants, commentators and judges.  Thought it was a little too much and uncalled for.

Edited by cameron
(edited)
49 minutes ago, cameron said:

Very disappointed that Tobias felt the need to pull out the race card.  This competition is made up of many cultures in both the contestants, commentators and judges.  Thought it was a little too much and uncalled for.

Are you referring to when he was in his trailer after watching the judging, while waiting to hear results were in, when he had "a moment" (got a little overwhelmed and teared up) and, in answering the producer's question as to what he was thinking, said he grew up an inner city kid, and now he's among these big-name chefs and it's a lot, he never really thought he'd be here, and he still pinches himself sometimes?

Because POC sharing their experiences and feelings aren't playing a card, and certainly not in a situation like that, but I just skimmed the episode for his comments and I can't find anything else this might be referring to.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12
  • Applause 11
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Are you referring to when he was in his trailer after watching the judging, while waiting to hear results were in, when he had "a moment" (got a little overwhelmed and teared up) and, in answering the producer's question as to what he was thinking, said he grew up an inner city kid, and now he's among these big-name chefs and it's a lot, he never really thought he'd be here, and he still pinches himself sometimes?

Because POC sharing their experiences and feelings aren't playing a card, and certainly not in a situation like that, but I just skimmed the episode for his comments and I can't find anything else this might be referring to.

No, it was when he was facing Manett that he said that remark.  Back it up and look it up.

(edited)
59 minutes ago, cameron said:

No, it was when he was facing Manett that he said that remark.

If what I quoted in my reply is indeed to remarks to which you were initially referring, yeah, as I said, after he and Maneet each watched the judges, he was sitting in his trailer waiting for the results to be in, and when he got teary-eyed, the producer asked him what he was thinking, and he answered.

If you're referring instead to something different he said - while in the kitchen arena with Maneet? - I don't know what that is, which is why I sought clarification.

Edited by Bastet
(edited)

Rooting hard for Antonia.  For one thing, she should have won Top Chef All-Stars or at least eliminate that asshole Mike Isabella.

And Antonia is amazing.  She does not look any older than she did in Top Chef Season 4.  She also looks slim and fit.

Edited by susannot
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
(edited)

I love Antonia, but poor Jet, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.  And for the 5th year in a row, no man has ever made the finals.  

eta and if you are a man not named Jet Tila, you probably  won’t make the semi finals either.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 10

I always feel like making a meatball like Maneet is doing right now with the goat is an easy cop-out, but as often as not, it wins.

• Like 4

How amazing, five women champions.   

I love Jet Tila, and hope someday he wins.  But this is an amazing competition with so many competitive chefs, and many happen to be women.    

Congratulations to every chef who competed, and Antonia and Maneet who had a thrilling finale.   Congratulations to TOC Champion Season 5 Maneet.  A great finale. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1