Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E07: Music Video Night

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

You don't think Mormons date douchebags? I think Jenna/Val pretty much proves they do lol.

This made me laugh. However, I do agree with Andie in regards to Harry and Rielly. Show needs to stop with the showmance. He doesn't need any more votes. Although, his fans will vote for him either way and most likely without watching the show.

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

You don't think Mormons date douchebags? I think Jenna/Val pretty much proves they do lol.

Jenna is a desperate fame whore though. I don’t think rylee gives off that vibe just yet lol. Jenna would have gotten with Derek mark or maks If it meant catapulting to fame lol. Any of the male pros who have huge bases lol. 

I used to absolutely love Emma but lately I feel like the fame has gotten to her head as well which pains me to say. 

Edited by Lindsay Loo Hoo
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Andiethewestie said:

it seems to me all you have to be is a young white dude who pretends to give a shit and the overwhelmingly female audience comes to the rescue. He's not a dancer nor does he have rhythm. I really want to watch people who at least have rhythm, otherwise what's the point? 

Oh I agree with you, but they have one of those every season. They had Grocery Joe, Alek Skarlatos, and many others, so it's not surprising Harry is still there. The difference between him and those people though is that Gen Z likes him, so TPTB is eating that up. My two sons (who never had any interest in this show) watch it now because they like Harry. I don't enjoy watching him, but they do. It's pretty obvious that TPTB want him in the finals.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

True.  But at least the Ukrainian douche bag can dance. 

22 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Oh I agree with you, but they have one of those every season. They had Grocery Joe, Alek Skarlatos

I don't know who these people are. I guess they were on the seasons I wasn't interested 

54 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Oh I agree with you, but they have one of those every season. They had Grocery Joe, Alek Skarlatos, and many others, so it's not surprising Harry is still there. The difference between him and those people though is that Gen Z likes him, so TPTB is eating that up. My two sons (who never had any interest in this show) watch it now because they like Harry. I don't enjoy watching him, but they do. It's pretty obvious that TPTB want him in the finals.

I have to stick up for Alek Skarlatos. He was just a small town kid who went into the military and became the Train Hero totally by chance in France. It was hardly 3 weeks after that, they snapped him up for DWTS. He was not a natural dancer but he did improve somewhat from his first night. The audience loves military guys. Alek, JR Martinez, Noah Galloway. 

I couldn't see what was so appealing about Grocery Store Joe Amabile. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Lindsay Loo Hoo said:

Jenna is a desperate fame whore though

Lindsay, I’ve heard that more than once, but I followed Jenna from the so you can think dance days and I never got that impression. What makes you say that? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

It was sad about Lele. The judges always talk about hip action, and she had that. Harry has no action in any body part. I agree Brandon is not as good in his choreography as other pros. 

The group dances were OK. I think I'm the only one whose favorite is the What Did the Fox Say? team dance from years ago. It was Derek's team, and it was cute.

So Bruno went from see through to glittery. It was funny when he said Harry moved and his wig looked like Sophia from Golden Girls. 

• Like 9

The team dance narrowed the gap in judges’ scores substantially (cynically I’ll say padded the scores), so made the elimination more wide open. 

Harry is just uncomfortable for me to watch; often times it doesn’t look like he’s having much fun at all. The team dance was a notable exception to that.

I skipped the steaming season(s) and had forgotten about the audience booing every time a judge even hints at a less-that-gushingly-positive comment. It’ll never happen but on the DWTS in my head, I hope one of the judges goes ballistic on the booing sometime soon. 

• Like 4

No sympathy for Alex Skarlatos from me.  He tried to parlay his train heroics and Dancing with the Stars notoriety into a Congressional seat in my district. 

I wish they allowed the West coast to vote, too.  I have a hard time voting for something I haven't seen.  That's just a popularity contest. 

Would it be impossible to announce the eliminated dancer one week later (since they no longer have two shows a week)?  Could they do a mini-recap at the beginning of the evening, announce the losing team, and as a swan song, have the eliminated team perform the dance they'd been rehearsing that week? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Dani posted on her Instagram thanking choreographer @danadaners  for the Jazz routine. She indicated that she wanted to ensure the Jazz was authentic.  This leads me to Derek's petty comments about the routine as he always prided himself on being THE choreographer for all of his routines. Cool for him, but I'm so glad Dani knows where her strength lies. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 4
  • Useful 6
2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Would it be impossible to announce the eliminated dancer one week later (since they no longer have two shows a week)?  Could they do a mini-recap at the beginning of the evening, announce the losing team, and as a swan song, have the eliminated team perform the dance they'd been rehearsing that week? 

Didn’t they do that on So You Think You Can Dance a while ago?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

It was sad about Lele. The judges always talk about hip action, and she had that. Harry has no action in any body part. I agree Brandon is not as good in his choreography as other pros. 

The group dances were OK. I think I'm the only one whose favorite is the What Did the Fox Say? team dance from years ago. It was Derek's team, and it was cute.

So Bruno went from see through to glittery. It was funny when he said Harry moved and his wig looked like Sophia from Golden Girls. 

Thats my favorite as well.  The song is so weird and they just made it work.

I didn't like either team dances.  I actually preferred the other Gangam team dance even though it was a hot mess - it was a lot more entertaining.

Jason is my favorite, but I don't think the song really worked for Jazz.  Granted I'm not familiar with Jazz anyway, but it just felt off.  I think Jason and Daniella did the best they could with what they were given but it was not my favorite dance of his.

• Like 2

What the heck is happening? They were so nit-picky on everybody tonight! Paula was fantastic though!

Jason was totally underscored by CAI and Derek - no way was that an 8 if Harry got sixes for whatever that abomination was. It is getting embarrassing that he is still here. Lele was good and didn't deserve to go yet - I still feel like she was sunk by her partner. Send Brandon back to the squad or whatever it's called!

I think this show would benefit by handling the elimination like Masked Singer - no outside voting, just the studio audience and then the judges pick who goes home between the bottom two.

Alison's dancing is almost unrecognizable from where she started - this is why I love this show - her dance was awesome!

My favorite was Ariana - she looked great with the pros and her legs looked great to me doing the cha cha. I think she's my favorite gal this season.

Xochitl is so good, but it's feeling like Charlie 2.0 - teen prodigy. And I feel like TPTB want her to win for some reason - notice how she still ended up at the top of the leader board.....The more they give her 10's and a tongue bath, the more I don't want her to win......

Charity....is just there. I am glad she got called out for her tentative dancing. I get nothing from her, like most of the bachelorettes.....

This was the first time I felt like Barry danced like an old man. I am glad he survived tonight!

My top three favorites are Jason, Ariana and Barry, but Alison is gaining.

And one last shout out to Alfonso - I absolutely love him - he's so earnest and says some really dumb stuff but his delivery is so corny I can't help but laugh. If it can't be Tom, he's been the perfect replacement.

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Like 7
20 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

The team dance narrowed the gap in judges’ scores substantially (cynically I’ll say padded the scores), so made the elimination more wide open. 

Harry is just uncomfortable for me to watch; often times it doesn’t look like he’s having much fun at all. The team dance was a notable exception to that.

That's what bothers me about him too. It's one thing if someone is a bad dancer but can get out there and be a good sport about it. But when someone looks like they're about to cry at the most mild of criticism (because I think the judges have been pretty soft about it) and wants to be good at it without actually seeming to try that hard to be better, it's just uncomfortable. And the whining about people online saying Rylee is dancing around him...has he watched any of his dances back? That's 100% accurate.

It was nice to see him open up a little bit in the team dance, that would have been the perfect high point to send his ass home on. Missed opportunity...

I'm especially annoyed because I have no idea who he is and can't understand where his fanbase is coming from. He's not particularly charming in the practice footage or the post-dance interviews.

Alison's dancing is almost unrecognizable from where she started - this is why I love this show - her dance was awesome!

She's noticeably losing weight as well, that's a feature of the show that seems to have lessened over the years, there used to be dramatic weight loss among a lot of contestants, but I don't notice it too much anymore.

Also, I have literally never heard that Christina Aguilera song or seen that video, so it seemed like an odd choice, but she did a really nice job with it.

I watched Ariana’s dance and was like, who is that?  She did great!

I'm glad she copped to having practiced that routine for 20 years because I watched it thinking "there's no way this is her first time doing this." She really captured the messy, greasy Britney look and she did have the original choreography memorized to a tee. 

Charity’s legs are so thin…I mean when you see her legs next to the pros, it’s really obvious. I wish they would put her in skirts or flowing pants more. I’m not a Bachelor Nation fan but I think the legs distract from her performances. 

I had a similar issue with Zendaya, she was a fantastic dancer but the extreme lankiness was always distracting to me, like watching a baby deer dance. I do think pants or long skirts might make the dances look a bit more flow-y and lyrical.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

That's what bothers me about him too. It's one thing if someone is a bad dancer but can get out there and be a good sport about it. But when someone looks like they're about to cry at the most mild of criticism (because I think the judges have been pretty soft about it) and wants to be good at it without actually seeming to try that hard to be better, it's just uncomfortable. And the whining about people online saying Rylee is dancing around him...has he watched any of his dances back? That's 100% accurate.

It is accurate, and unfortunately for him, he does not have a seasoned pro to take a different tone with him to force him to get better. Watching her prop him up emotionally while not calling out his posture, arm placements, sloppy feet, etc. in practice is just as frustrating as watching him bumble around in the ballroom with her flying around him.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Lindsay, I’ve heard that more than once, but I followed Jenna from the so you can think dance days and I never got that impression. What makes you say that? 

I don't get the nasty criticism of Jenna, either.  In my opinion, she's the sexiest female pro dancer they've ever had and she's extremely talented.  I wonder if that bothers people for some reason.

• Applause 2
On 11/8/2023 at 5:26 PM, HerkyJerky said:

For me, personally, it’s the way she used to mug for the camera any time it was nearer, more so than anyone else. I had also heard that in the beginning she was obsessed with Val and stalked him then they broke up but his family was pressuring him to marry soon and settle and have kids. But personally, that’s their private life, my issue is her constant mugging. Don’t get me wrong she’s an incredible dancer. I just find her off putting.  

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Lindsay Loo Hoo said:

For me, personally, it’s the way she used to mug for the camera any time it was nearer, more so than anyone else. I had also heard that in the beginning she was obsessed with Val and stalked him then they broke up but his family was pressuring him to marry soon and settle and have kids. But personally, that’s their private life, my issue is her constant mugging. Don’t get me wrong she’s an incredible dancer. I just find her off putting.  

All professional dancers are trained to portray the essence of whatever character is required for a particular dance style.  Jenna's demeanor is always proper to whatever dance she is doing.  Camera angles also play a part, which she has no control over.  During a sexy group dance, they're all "mugging."  And she is no different than any other woman pursuing a love interest.  But "stalking"?  Did Val get a restraining order or something?

• Useful 2

After re-watching both group numbers, I feel like the second one was actually a more cohesive team effort. The Gangnam Style number had a bunch of fun elements but a lot of them were disconnected, and as each pair did their solo bit the others just basically stood off to the side. In the Backstreet Boys number the rest of the group remained in a group behind the pair solos and danced/moved along with them. 

I also think Barry did much better in the group number than usual, and Peta was smart enough to give him some very basic moves he could handle well. On the other hand Harry was just as awkward and hunched as usual, but he was just able to hide it more because of everything else going on around him. 

It's too bad because the I think the second number suffered coming second and being unable to match the energy of the first number, but that couldn't be helped given the song they had to dance to. I just think overall it was choreographed better than the first number.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Recyclorette said:

All professional dancers are trained to portray the essence of whatever character is required for a particular dance style.  Jenna's demeanor is always proper to whatever dance she is doing.  Camera angles also play a part, which she has no control over.  During a sexy group dance, they're all "mugging."  And she is no different than any other woman pursuing a love interest.  But "stalking"?  Did Val get a restraining order or something?

And most female pros don’t jump on and straddle the host like Jenna did in the first episode of this season. Agree to disagree but you will find many who agree she is a fame seeker. I’m not sure on anything regarding her and Val previously as I’ve just seen others posting it on other forms. Could be bs, could be true who knows..all I know is she rubs me the wrong way. It’s fun though that we all have differing opinions. My favorite pro is Daniella and used to be Karina. I’m sure people will find flaws in both of them as well lol 

• Like 1

I find Jenna somewhat more likeable than I did in her SYTYCD days where interestingly the only thing she danced which matched her mugging without feeling off was the amazing dance she did with Mark Kanemura.  Her characterization was very powerful rather than mug-y and his choreo suited her down to the ground.

I also remember rumours about her chasing Val very hard while he was not all that interested, but that could have been nastified by competitors for Val's affections I suppose.  I believed it at the time.  She has toned down a LOT.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Like 2

I listened to some of Cheryl's re-cap on her podcast -about Daniella and Jason she said that Daniella is of the ballroom world like her but is constantly learning and growing in other styles and looked totally credible in jazz.  She said of Jason that he is a fantastic student wanting to learn and always has the earphones in to get the nuances of the music, and is working really hard. She thought he did so well, he actually danced part of the piece better than the guys backing him as they are not trained in jazz ( it was Gleb and Alan on assist)  

and two judges gave it an 8 

• Like 1

You have a good point. I hope for Jason's sake he gets a Foxtrot for redemption because it would be a much better demonstration of his growth as a ballroom dancer. His dance position and frame on the group dance was night and day to Disney night.  Also, it would be a better contrast and assessment to see a dance in hold  then a Jazz dance and a Freestyle, neither of which are ballroom or Latin 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 2
On 11/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, Ilovepie said:

It is accurate, and unfortunately for him, he does not have a seasoned pro to take a different tone with him to force him to get better. Watching her prop him up emotionally while not calling out his posture, arm placements, sloppy feet, etc. in practice is just as frustrating as watching him bumble around in the ballroom with her flying around him.

Just my two cents Riley is having a tough time for a couple of reasons.

1. Harry is just there to collect a pay cheque and grow his influencer base who don't give a hoot about quality in dance and she seems quite content to spend most of the time creating tic toks with him , and  pretending they're a couple because that gets people interested instead of drilling the fundamentals. My guess is in her mind he's not interested in learning so she's supporting him in what he is interested in. 
2 Its a shame that the show is exploiting her youth and her support of social media instead of dance but it is what it is. When Julianne joined at 18 she also got a lot of the showmance interest with Apolo but because he was coachable she could drill the fundamentals Harry isn't interested in the least, but like a lot of his generation expects praise for getting off the couch. . 

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

I listened to some of Cheryl's re-cap on her podcast -about Daniella and Jason she said that Daniella is of the ballroom world like her but is constantly learning and growing in other styles and looked totally credible in jazz.  She said of Jason that he is a fantastic student wanting to learn and always has the earphones in to get the nuances of the music, and is working really hard. She thought he did so well, he actually danced part of the piece better than the guys backing him as they are not trained in jazz ( it was Gleb and Alan on assist)  

and two judges gave it an 8 

8 is not right. If they didn't want to give a 10, at least give a 9. I remember when Daniella had Iman. I was surprised at how well she did hip-hop during the freestyle. I'm sure she was studying it during his season. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was Witney, Britt, or Kione (though she wasn't on the show yet, I think.). Now, I won't be surprised if Daniella does hip hop again.

8 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

Just my two cents Riley is having a tough time for a couple of reasons.

1. Harry is just there to collect a pay cheque and grow his influencer base who don't give a hoot about quality in dance and she seems quite content to spend most of the time creating tic toks with him , and  pretending they're a couple because that gets people interested instead of drilling the fundamentals. My guess is in her mind he's not interested in learning so she's supporting him in what he is interested in. 
2 Its a shame that the show is exploiting her youth and her support of social media instead of dance but it is what it is. When Julianne joined at 18 she also got a lot of the showmance interest with Apolo but because he was coachable she could drill the fundamentals Harry isn't interested in the least, but like a lot of his generation expects praise for getting off the couch. . 

Yes, Apolo is an Olympic gold medalist that is not afraid of hard work. Harry is from a generation that can get famous from social media and reality shows. 

Also, Rylee is young. She seems to have the type of personality that if somebody whines and says that people are being mean to me, she will be sympathetic to that person. Somebody like Cheryl or Karina would be stricter. They would say then stop reading it and let's get back to work.

• Like 3
On 11/7/2023 at 9:19 PM, alexa said:

I thought that too but was thinking how odd she was then…she actually seems coherent on this show, lol.

Paula has said she had to take heavy duty pain killers to combat her RA and it got to the point where she could hardly move. I think that had a lot to do with her incoherent ramblings back in the day. Thankfully she's now on a regime that allows her to move as well as she did in her videos and she looks better than ever.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like Jenna and enjoy her choreography. The problem with her is that she isn't a great teacher. When she gets a good celebrity (JoJo, Adam), she does a lot of good work. Unfortunately, when she gets a dud like Grocery Joe, she can't make lemonade out of lemons.

The best teacher IMO is Lindsay. Alek Skarlotos and David Ross were easily as bad as Harry, but she helped them improve to the point where they didn't look as bad. Harry and Grocery Joe never improved at all.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 11/10/2023 at 9:40 PM, crowceilidh said:

I find Jenna somewhat more likeable than I did in her SYTYCD days where interestingly the only thing she danced which matched her mugging without feeling off was the amazing dance she did with Mark Kanemura.  Her characterization was very powerful rather than mug-y and his choreo suited her down to the ground.

Jenna before she lost quite a bit of weight........

Jenna and Mark Kanemura's quirky and fantastic dance