Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E03: Hard Launch

• Start Topic

With only one couple left to meet their new spouse at the altar, these former singles jump into marriage headfirst; these newlyweds try to learn as much about each other as possible before spending their first night together as husband and wife.

Airs Wednesday November 1 at 8:00PM EDT.

• Like 1

It's always uncomfortable when one of them keeps their eyes on the officiant while the other is trying to make eye contact. Look at your groom, girl! But I get it. Awwwkward. 

They seem OK with each other so far. Fifteen minutes married and nobody's done a runner. So that's a success, going by the last episode. Low bar to limbo.

I'm trying to learn their names, but Mr. Pinkhair is always going to be Brawny to me after one of the posters coined that. Who was it? Kudos.

Emily is letting it all hang out. I wonder what Brennan's thinking about his forever bride. He seems more like a keep-it-tucked-in guy.

How long can I comment to myself? 😅 Start placing your bets now.

Hedges of baby's breath at C&C's reception. MAFS spending the big bucks.

Time to check in on the World Series...

Edited by kikicat
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

Yowzer, Cameron's bride, whatever her name is, barely clears his armpit as they head down the aisle (with the Bride's gaze still locked on her very extra BFF.)   It was a relief when they sat down for their post-nuptial chat and they were closer in height that way.

I don't like her very much.  I think it's because she keeps saying everything is "cute."  I love your accent; it's cute.

• Like 3

Really?  I feel very invested--at this point.  I really like Orion and hope he can continue to bring the mellow.  I don't see Clare holding down the bike shop while Cameron is out on the trail with his "buddies."

I can't remember anyone else except pink hair has debilitating health issues and her new husband is all he-man outdoorsy.

The only version I've seen all the way through was Australian.  It goes faster over there.  As the couples develop deep and heartfelt loathing for each other, they can opt to call it quits and a few new couples come in late to replace them.

I was shocked when I tried to watch the American version and the couples were forced to interact LONG after it was obvious to everyone that they couldn't stand each other.  Week after week after bloody week, ai yi yi.

How is this set of couples different from couples on other seasons that you [Primetimers] are finding them so boring?

I like Clair(e?) and Cameron.  I like Orion and hope Lauren doesn’t continue to condescend to him.  Not a huge Emily fan, she’s not coming off as a warm person. Becca and Austin are cute but she’s maybe a little arrogant?
Anyway, it’s early and as we all know, our first impressions via the editors are not necessarily how we will feel later in the show. 

• Like 2

So another evening of KNP popping in and out.  Sorry but can't stand her with her announcing her name every pop in!  She's so thrilled to be there and look at me!  Ugh. 

I just can't imagine pink hair has solo many medical problem and Mr groom has no idea.  Makes me sad.

Talk about the tall and short of everything!  He's one tall Cameron.

Onion seems like a nice guy.  I hope those two make it!

I've never been in a relationship bride seems to be all into herself.

The far out previews show trouble in paradise.

Btw what kind of work does Clare do?  I hope she makes enough to support bicycle boy because I'm kinda thinking his shop is in hosts, for nine years, garage!!!

• LOL 2
31 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Btw what kind of work does Clare do?  I hope she makes enough to support bicycle boy because I'm kinda thinking his shop is in hosts, for nine years, garage!!!

She’s a therapist; at her age she’s likely a very new therapist so she probably doesn’t make much.

As a tall woman and early bloomer, I used to get annoyed in my teens when I saw a short girl with a tall boy. I was waiting for most boys to catch up to me in height and I’d be like “stick to boys your own size!” I don’t know what their heights are but I kept thinking that Clare must be getting a stiff neck looking up at Cameron.

Thought Cameron asked about the brother memorial very respectfully. His “zoinks!” face when Clare revealed she’s a quadruplet was funny.

Lauren really does look older than she is. Her whole comportment reads older. (Her dad is handsome.)

• Like 8

when you lead with telling your new husband that you did body shots on the male strippers and you'll be bringing your handcuffs on th honeymoon, something tells me you aren't right for this guy.  call me crazy.

i appreciate lauren's father being concerned for her well-being, he's coming off a bit too strong with orion for my taste.   and the gal sitting next to orion during this discussion should reconsider her fashion choices.

i used to look forward to the after-party but the stupid cocktails and playing the clips that we just saw a minute ago is annoying, as is the new contest.  wonder how many people voted.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Last night was the first time I watched this season, and managed to stay awake. I don't like any of the women, except maybe Clare. I think she and Cameron are sweet, but I haven't seen enough of her to know. Becca and Emily are both too obnoxious for me. Lauren just seems to be interviewing him and I don't see her as warm. That said, Orion is not at all attractive to me, but he seems like a decent person. I didn't see enough of the other guys to form an opinion, but I am not hopeful for this season.

That said, if anyone is interested, the spoilers for this season are on the spoiler thread.

I agree with @cinsays that the AfterParty clips are annoying and unnecessary.

ETA: I would love it if the show would edit out all of the lazy, unnecessary, and ridiculous "like"s that the women seem to use constantly. (Why don't the men do that?) Doing so would create two benefits - 1) it would make the women sound smarter than they, apparently, are, and 2) we would be able to watch the entire 8 weeks in two or three shows!

One more thought - does anyone wear a bra anymore? Between the brides' dresses, the bridesmaids, and the guests, especially the woman sitting next to Orion when he was talking to Lauren's father,  I just wonder what kind of mirror they used that they all decided that they looked ready for TV.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 4
  • LOL 4

Emily really has a rat's nest going on with her hair, huh? It looked bad sticking out at the altar. It looked worse & worse the more I saw it this episode. She gets the award for worst MAFS wedding hair ever! 🤣🤣

• LOL 3

Lauren's dad made some good catches. He said he didn't date his race cuz they're bossy. HUH??? He was only talking about what he planned for HIMSELF, having a house on the East coast. Where was his new wife in his plans??? I'd be concerned too. Her dad said it well. Totally valid concerns... Awww. They're both constantly looking for each other. Precious!!!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, candall said:

Really?  I feel very invested--at this point.  I really like Orion and hope he can continue to bring the mellow.  I don't see Clare holding down the bike shop while Cameron is out on the trail with his "buddies."

I can't remember anyone else except pink hair has debilitating health issues and her new husband is all he-man outdoorsy.

The only version I've seen all the way through was Australian.  It goes faster over there.  As the couples develop deep and heartfelt loathing for each other, they can opt to call it quits and a few new couples come in late to replace them.

I was shocked when I tried to watch the American version and the couples were forced to interact LONG after it was obvious to everyone that they couldn't stand each other.  Week after week after bloody week, ai yi yi.

How is this set of couples different from couples on other seasons that you [Primetimers] are finding them so boring?

The matches are getting weird.  A girl with health issues, a big drinker girl with a conservative guy, etc, etc.   Too much dragging out with Keisha.  Boring and unnecessary.  Cut everything in half.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Can anyone tell me when the After Party episodes are filmed? Are they done right after the season has been recorded? It seems like it would be excruciating to discuss their relationships way after the season, knowing that some of them are no longer together. I stopped watching this show for the past couple of seasons, but sadly got hooked into watching this one, silly me! 

Edited by pikake
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

What health issues does pink hair girl have? I didn't see the previous shows. Thanks.

It was quick in the beginning.  Something about her having problems with her reproductive system?  Maybe a possible surgery?  I’d have to go back n see.

• Thanks 1

I like that Cameron is actually talking about being what Clare wants & she being what he wants. Probably too many people don't even care about that, just care about what they want.

2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

So another evening of KNP popping in and out. 

Gosh, that is so annoying. I watch on "Fast Forward" and next thing I know she is there again. Also stop with the stupid polls.

I just want to watch the show! Don't need any comments during it!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, Rightside said:

Gosh, that is so annoying. I watch on "Fast Forward" and next thing I know she is there again. Also stop with the stupid polls.

I just want to watch the show! Don't need any comments during it!

Too dragged out !!!!!!  Listeners are annoyed.

• Like 2

Emily Becca looks distractingly like Emma Stone to me--her mouth moves exactly the same way when she talks.

2 hours ago, cinsays said:

and the gal sitting next to orion during this discussion should reconsider her fashion choices.

The one with the watermelon breast about to self-harvest?  I couldn't take my eyes off it.

That said, I loved his sister's look--the suit with the loose tie, and loosely pulled back hair.  She looked sharp.

3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Mr. Outlier does a lot of mountainbiking in the Denver area so I showed him Cameron.  I'd noticed his shirt said "Broken Carbon" and I said, "I thought broken carbon is a bad thing."  He said he'd heard there was a guy in Denver who fixes broken carbon bike frames.   

There's a bunch of specialty bike repair shops around there that have a national presence (people outside the area send their stuff to them to fix).  Cameron's shop fixes carbon frames, there's a place that re-soles the shoes mountainbikers wear, another rebuilds shocks, and there's a guy who makes custom bags for bikepacking.  I've been to all of these except Cameron's place--thank god, because carbon bike frames cost thousands of dollars, and repairing them would probably be a lucrative business and the opposite of lucrative for its customers, but less of a hemorrhage than buying a new frame.

But if he does break his frame and we're in the area, I'll offer to be the courier--I'm assuming it will be much more fun going there than the shoe repair place.

And to Clare's credit, as confused and dismissive as she was about the stuffed animal, she grokked the minute he opened his mouth.  But man is he tall.  My maximum height difference ever was 9 or 10 inches, and it seemed like a lot.  Cameron's at least a foot taller than she is, maybe more.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
Wrong name. I thought I was doing so well this season. I was wrong.
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
35 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

It was quick in the beginning.  Something about her having problems with her reproductive system?  Maybe a possible surgery?  I’d have to go back n see.

I believe Becca has endometriosis.

32 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Cameron's at least a foot taller than she is, maybe more.

And Clare was probably in heels, so the height gap is even bigger. As I said, I’m kind of tall, so it’s very rare for me to meet a man that much taller than I (we’d be getting into NBA-player heights for me to have a height gap like Clare and Cameron), so I can’t imagine having to crane your neck to look at your partner.  I dated a guy who is 6’6” and while he was markedly taller than I, even in my heels, the gap wasn’t so big that I had to strain to look at him. (Conversely, I cannot tell you how many first dates I’ve had with men who lied about their height.)

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Being under 5' tall, I dated a guy who was 6'6" in n high school and it was miserable. I always felt like I was out with my Dad. You would think that shorter men would be happy to date someone short, but the only guys who asked me out were super tall. And, that made the tall girls mad!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

That first dance was BRUTAL!!! Really highlighted the height difference issue. He had to crouch some. Oh dear. How did Matt & Amber dance??? They're the only huge height difference couple I remember. 🤔

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

What health issues does pink hair girl have? I didn't see the previous shows. Thanks.

She has endometriosis.  She just had surgery to remove it from one of her non reproductive organs.  I forget where it was growing because for some reason I thought it stayed on the reproductive organs.

It's very painful.  I think it interferes with having a child.

I'm sure someone here could explain much better than me.

I worked with a girl that had endometriosis.  What pain she went through and she did everything to have a baby but no luck.

2 hours ago, Lindz said:

That first dance was BRUTAL!!! Really highlighted the height difference issue. He had to crouch some. Oh dear. How did Matt & Amber dance??? They're the only huge height difference couple I remember. 🤔

Lol those two danced right out the door...in the marriage ending!

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Emily Becca looks distractingly like Emma Stone to me--her mouth moves exactly the same way when she talks.

The one with the watermelon breast about to self-harvest?  I couldn't take my eyes off it.

That said, I loved his sister's look--the suit with the loose tie, and loosely pulled back hair.  She looked sharp.

Mr. Outlier does a lot of mountainbiking in the Denver area so I showed him Cameron.  I'd noticed his shirt said "Broken Carbon" and I said, "I thought broken carbon is a bad thing."  He said he'd heard there was a guy in Denver who fixes broken carbon bike frames.   

There's a bunch of specialty bike repair shops around there that have a national presence (people outside the area send their stuff to them to fix).  Cameron's shop fixes carbon frames, there's a place that re-soles the shoes mountainbikers wear, another rebuilds shocks, and there's a guy who makes custom bags for bikepacking.  I've been to all of these except Cameron's place--thank god, because carbon bike frames cost thousands of dollars, and repairing them would probably be a lucrative business and the opposite of lucrative for its customers, but less of a hemorrhage than buying a new frame.

But if he does break his frame and we're in the area, I'll offer to be the courier--I'm assuming it will be much more fun going there than the shoe repair place.

And to Clare's credit, as confused and dismissive as she was about the stuffed animal, she grokked the minute he opened his mouth.  But man is he tall.  My maximum height difference ever was 9 or 10 inches, and it seemed like a lot.  Cameron's at least a foot taller than she is, maybe more.

Interesting about all those different shops!  Sounds like while he's biking he's advertising his business.  Pretty smart!

Maybe someone could get a copy of his shop??  I'd like to see what he has going on.

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Cameron is co owner with the founder and both have engineering degrees!

• Mind Blown 1

Lauren's dad made some good catches. He said he didn't date his race cuz they're bossy. HUH??? He was only talking about what he planned for HIMSELF, having a house on the East coast. Where was his new wife in his plans??? I'd be concerned too. Her dad said it well. Totally valid concerns... Awww. They're both constantly looking for each other. Precious!!!

Lauren's dad asked Orion about he wanted and then got pissed off when Orion told him. Dad didn't really listen to Orion's answer; he just wanted a chance to blather on about how now that Orion has married his little girl, he has to be prepared to consider her wishes too. Which is true, but isn't the answer to "where would you like to settle, given the choice?"

I forget where it was growing because for some reason I thought it stayed on the reproductive organs.

I think it does stay in the reproductive system but can move from the uterus to the ovaries and Fallopian tubes. It can make conceiving very difficult and it can also be a very painful condition.

One more thought - does anyone wear a bra anymore? 

Not as much as they used to. My daughter is 20. Their generation doesn't worry about nipples showing. I don't think that lack of support really bothers them either. I hate bras. If it wasn't painful to go without, I'd skip it too and it's the first thing I take off when I get home; before shoes even...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Their generation doesn't worry about nipples showing. I don't think that lack of support really bothers them either.

For me, it's not the nipples, but the gigantic breasts falling out of their clothes. Plus, when they are that large, those women will be hit with excruciating back pain later in their lives, which, of course, they can't be bothered to worry about. LOL, when you are 20, nothing worries you.

• Like 6

Becca said that she has some sort of condition that affects her spine, and causes her pain. I can't imagine how she does photography, i'd imagine being on feet all day would be super painful. She also has endometriosis, and it spread, so she had to have an appendectomy recently.

• Like 5

Of all the people who tried out for this show, why did they select someone with significant health issues and match her with someone? So, Becca has a spinal condition, as well as endometriosis, and they think that makes her a good candidate to marry someone she has never met? Even IF they knew each other, that would require some serious discussions - especially if her husband was hoping to have a family. I know, they can adopt, but HE should be the one to make that call, not some random TV producers. Both of those conditions result in a lot of pain, and it's not so much fun to live with someone in constant pain.

Or, is Becca one of the ones who drinks a lot? Or was that Emily? I wonder if there is a question on the application that asks if you would be OK to be matched with someone with serious medical conditions? I remember when Derek was matched with Katie, who had diabetes, and agreed to learn how to give her insulin shots. At that time, he probably thought they would last, but they didn't.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Of all the people who tried out for this show, why did they select someone with significant health issues and match her with someone? So, Becca has a spinal condition, as well as endometriosis, and they think that makes her a good candidate to marry someone she has never met? Even IF they knew each other, that would require some serious discussions - especially if her husband was hoping to have a family. I know, they can adopt, but HE should be the one to make that call, not some random TV producers. Both of those conditions result in a lot of pain, and it's not so much fun to live with someone in constant pain.

Or, is Becca one of the ones who drinks a lot? Or was that Emily? I wonder if there is a question on the application that asks if you would be OK to be matched with someone with serious medical conditions? I remember when Derek was matched with Katie, who had diabetes, and agreed to learn how to give her insulin shots. At that time, he probably thought they would last, but they didn't.

It's Emily who drinks a lot.

I, too, think it's unfair to match a person with serious health issues with someone they've never met, and I wonder if that question is on the application.  While it's unfortunate about Becca's condition, I wonder if she's capable of having "normal" sex with her husband, or would it be too painful.

I remember Derek and Katie, and she didn't have health insurance--which is probably why she went on MAFS to marry someone with health insurance.  I thought Derek was a nice guy, and I was glad when they split.     

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

They should also determine if you want to be matched with someone who drinks  a lot,  that could be a major issue!  I'm sure they must cover drinking somewhere in the application process, but how many people would be aware they drink too much or would admit to that? UGH!!!

What is Becca's spinal condition? I thought she just had her appendix removed or something?

Endometriosis can def impact getting pregnant and other pregnancy issues but not always. But having kids and the ability to have them should def be figured out before the match making process too!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Lauren's dad asked Orion about he wanted and then got pissed off when Orion told him. Dad didn't really listen to Orion's answer; he just wanted a chance to blather on about how now that Orion has married his little girl, he has to be prepared to consider her wishes too. Which is true, but isn't the answer to "where would you like to settle, given the choice?"

I think it does stay in the reproductive system but can move from the uterus to the ovaries and Fallopian tubes. It can make conceiving very difficult and it can also be a very painful condition.

Not as much as they used to. My daughter is 20. Their generation doesn't worry about nipples showing. I don't think that lack of support really bothers them either. I hate bras. If it wasn't painful to go without, I'd skip it too and it's the first thing I take off when I get home; before shoes even...

Lol .. me too.  I hate bras.  Lately, I wear a busy top to the store and a cardigan over it.  If I do wear one, I whip it off when I walk thru my door.  I have pretty lacy ones for doctors offices, lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

While it's unfortunate about Becca's condition, I wonder if she's capable of having "normal" sex with her husband, or would it be too painful.

I think she told her friends that she didn’t feel well enough to try to have sex on the wedding night, so I’d guess her condition does affect her sex life.

• Sad 2

I'm working from memory here, but I remember on an earlier episode Orion mentioned being raised in a matriarchy and I thought, Oh that's good--he gets it.

But then when he mentioned being raised in a matriarchy to Lauren's father, it was in the context of not wanting to be bossed around.  Heh.  

Just now, Empress1 said:

I think she told her friends that she didn’t feel well enough to try to have sex on the wedding night, so I’d guess her condition does affect her sex life.

I thought it had to do with her recent appendectomy, which was also the reason she didn't want a dress that was tight on her torso.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Didn't she just have an appendectomy?  Or am I getting her mixed up with someone else?

Just to clarify re Becca, I looked this up and copied this.....

Becca had an appendectomy shortly before filming began for MAFS. That means, by the time she went to shop for a wedding dress, she was post-op and healing. In fact, choosing the right dress revolves around something that would upset her healing process, which she explains on the show. And it's something her new husband will have to keep in mind as well.

Edited by endure

I like Becca (at least at this point, we shall see as the season progresses), but I don't think they should have cast her after having surgery and still being in the recovery stage.  She also has a medical condition as noted by several posters.  I think it's unfair to her husband who now has to deal with her medical issues (as many have noted, it's one think when one knows about medical concerns before getting married, but getting 'surprised' by them as soon as married is different).  I still blame producers for putting Derrick with Katie and her medical issues along with demanding he put her on his insurance and then looking down at him for the remainder of their marriage.

• Like 4
On 11/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, candall said:

We watch MAFSUK and MAFSAustralia every season and LOVE them (currently watching this season's MAFSUK and it's as good as ever).  They move SO much faster and the weekly dinner parties/commitment sessions are damn entertaining.  Watching the US version requires a LOT of fast forwarding and even skipping some entire episodes (last week's was the first we watched this season and we only watched the ceremonies) because it's 90% filler and repetition of scenes.

This year's American cast seems okay-ish.  It's still fun, to me, to watch the ones who "basically married myself", or declare their partner "perfect" ten minutes after the ceremony, quickly come to realize that this person is a *stranger* and you don't know them AT ALL.  Every year I wonder how they fell for being on this show...but I'll take it as it's the perfect mindless TV I enjoy after a long day.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

She has endometriosis.  She just had surgery to remove it from one of her non reproductive organs.  I forget where it was growing because for some reason I thought it stayed on the reproductive organs.

It's very painful.  I think it interferes with having a child.

16 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I was diagnosed with endo at 15, so I've been dealing with it for over 30 years now and can speak with a little knowledge, although it is, of course, different for everyone.  Endo is a painful, chronic condition that can, but doesn't always, impact fertility.  The tissue can spread FAR beyond the reproductive organs, I've had it removed from as far away as my lungs, but it's also on my bladder, bowl, intestines, body wall, etc...  It's invasive and nasty.  

I agree with many of you, chronic health conditions do not make you a good candidate for this type of show.  I'm sure it could work out for some folks, but I think the vast majority of people would prefer (expect?) to be matched with someone without that added challenge.

• Hugs 10
20 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Becca said that she has some sort of condition that affects her spine, and causes her pain. I can't imagine how she does photography, i'd imagine being on feet all day would be super painful. She also has endometriosis, and it spread, so she had to have an appendectomy recently.

Is that where it went to the appendix?  That’s what surprised me because until she said that I always thought it stayed in the reproductive organs. 

4 hours ago, AnnMarie17 said:

I was diagnosed with endo at 15, so I've been dealing with it for over 30 years now and can speak with a little knowledge, although it is, of course, different for everyone.  Endo is a painful, chronic condition that can, but doesn't always, impact fertility.  The tissue can spread FAR beyond the reproductive organs, I've had it removed from as far away as my lungs, but it's also on my bladder, bowl, intestines, body wall, etc...  It's invasive and nasty.  

I agree with many of you, chronic health conditions do not make you a good candidate for this type of show.  I'm sure it could work out for some folks, but I think the vast majority of people would prefer (expect?) to be matched with someone without that added challenge.

Thank you. I never realized it could spread into other areas. 

I’m sorry you have this condition and hope it’s manageable for you.  😘

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2023 at 10:40 AM, pikake said:

Can anyone tell me when the After Party episodes are filmed? Are they done right after the season has been recorded? It seems like it would be excruciating to discuss their relationships way after the season, knowing that some of them are no longer together.

Based on what I've heard on previous seasons the first batch of After Party's are recorded before decision day.   

• Useful 1

I feel like the blondie that kind of looks like George Washington is a plant.

She seems to speak with nothing but red flags:

1. My dad should be proud, I haven't crashed my Jeep yet.

2. Did ya'll have fun with the stripper cuz we sure did!!!!

3. White girl wasted

In other words, someone who is totally ready to settle down.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1