Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E03: Hard Launch

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, lh25 said:

I thought it was interesting that Orion was all about honoring his culture, but didn't date anyone from that race/culture because it was a matriarchy.  

Orion seems like a sweetheart and I loved the way he explained grass dancing.

I also thought it was cute when the bride seemed so charmed by Cameron.

Edited by qtpye
9 hours ago, lh25 said:

I thought it was interesting that Orion was all about honoring his culture, but didn't date anyone from that race/culture because it was a matriarchy.  

This is probably a minority opinion but I see red flags with Orion already.  Telling Lauren's dad already that he "doesn't like being bossed around" gives me the impression that he has mommy (aka "matriarchal")  issues and will resist any suggestion by his wife as to what they should do together as an attempt to "control" him and also resist a true give and take partnership. 

I think Lauren's father was actually spot-on and very perceptive in the way he responded to Orion about decisions needing to be made jointly.  What Orion said about "mutual respect" was the stock "appropriate" answer but I don't buy that he is really so concerned with that.  He's more concerned that Lauren not dare to ask him to do anything.  That's what he thinks "respect" is.  He wants to protect his control over everything he does and probably what she does too.  He'll probably give lip service to wanting a true partnership but then act passive aggressive about giving into anything she wants, including where she wants to live.  I can't believe he would go into this fully expecting that he would be able to live in New York of all places with someone that's from Denver or at least that area.  He didn't answer that question in a hypothetical way - it's obvious that this is exactly what he intends to do.  When you're talking to your new father in law about something that important and potentially life changing, you'd better be thinking about what your new wife might want and not just answer with what you would do in a world without a wife.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, qtpye said:

I feel like the blondie that kind of looks like George Washington is a plant.

She seems to speak with nothing but red flags:

1. My dad should be proud, I haven't crashed my Jeep yet.

2. Did ya'll have fun with the stripper cuz we sure did!!!!

3. White girl wasted

In other words, someone who is totally ready to settle down.

When she was being grilled by the groom's friends it was obvious they didn't buy what she was saying about how focusing on herself for 29 years prepared her for this.  Ummmm.....no, it does not, actually just the opposite.  You have to have learned how to focus on someone other than yourself before you're ready for marriage.  She looks and acts like the typical party/sorority girl that never grew out of that phase.  Her husband is so far enthralled with her but I think he knows he got exactly what he asked for and not a penny more.  A case of "be careful what you wish for".  I think he was assuming that the person they'd match him with would have been at least somewhat reformed from that kind of extreme self-centered behavior.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 5

I don't understand all these women who refer to "dating themselves," or when they say, "I married myself."  It seems like we have someone every season who has not had a real relationship lately and refer to it as dating themselves, as if that is a good thing. I understand doing some work on yourself to figure things out, but it's not dating. All it says to me is that no one asked you out.

I think we can all list the roles the shows casts:

* the person who has never been in love

*the person who has never said "I love you"

*the person who hasn't been in a relationship in a LONG time, but is suddenly ready for marriage

*the person who wants to be married, but primarily to have a "plus one" to fit into their already existing life and has no plans to make any other changes to accommodate their new spouse

*the bride who expects her new husband to completely financially support them

*the person who just recently ended a serious relationship and wants to jump into marriage with a stranger

I'm sure there are others.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I don't understand all these women who refer to "dating themselves," or when they say, "I married myself."  It seems like we have someone every season who has not had a real relationship lately and refer to it as dating themselves, as if that is a good thing. I understand doing some work on yourself to figure things out, but it's not dating. All it says to me is that no one asked you out.

*the person who hasn't been in a relationship in a LONG time, but is suddenly ready for marriage

*the person who wants to be married, but primarily to have a "plus one" to fit into their already existing life and has no plans to make any other changes to accommodate their new spouse

*the person who just recently ended a serious relationship and wants to jump into marriage with a stranger

* The wanna-be reality tv star/internet influencer

Maybe that’s just about everyone who comes on this show… I don’t know…

There’s also the “in-transition” person who is basically couch-surfing. See: Matt the barely literate, dickhead basketball player and that guy last season who basically moved to be on the show and was living in a family friend’s basement…

Matt also was a spouse that didn’t have much of a way to support himself, so it’s not always the bride that seems to be shooting for financial spousal support. There also was that guy who lied about pretty much everything - claiming to be a school principal and a yoga teacher and whatever else but turned out to be basically unemployed?

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

There’s also the “in-transition” person who is basically couch-surfing. See: Matt the barely literate, dickhead basketball player and that guy last season who basically moved to be on the show and was living in a family friend’s basement…

Matt also was a spouse that didn’t have much of a way to support himself, so it’s not always the bride that seems to be shooting for financial spousal support. There also was that guy who lied about pretty much everything - claiming to be a school principal and a yoga teacher and whatever else but turned out to be basically unemployed?

Hey, we got a new type of person this season.

The "I don't like the Matriarchy of my culture but I live at home with my mama" guy.

Just kidding...love ya Orion.

• LOL 10
On 11/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, candall said:

How is this set of couples different from couples on other seasons that you [Primetimers] are finding them so boring?

Everyone complains every season about being bored - it's not the couples, IMO, but the 2 hour running time that barely covers anything and draaaaaaags the season out forever!

On 11/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, endure said:

They should also determine if you want to be matched with someone who drinks  a lot,  that could be a major issue!  I'm sure they must cover drinking somewhere in the application process, but how many people would be aware they drink too much or would admit to that? UGH!!!

Emily did!  I remember her saying during the application process that she likes going out with her friends and drinking, and I was thinking to myself that I'm no "expert" but a young person who still considers "drinking" to be a hobby/activity in itself should not be matched for marriage.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Love really is blind!  😁

Everyone complains every season about being bored - it's not the couples, IMO, but the 2 hour running time that barely covers anything and draaaaaaags the season out forever!

I find it much more tolerable to record the show and fast forward through the commercials.

Love really is blind!  😁

There is little, if any, love on this show...

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 11/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, Retired at last said:

I don't understand all these women who refer to "dating themselves,"

I say that I take myself on dates, and that means I go to restaurants and movies and whatever else I might feel like doing alone. I also go on dates with the men I … am dating. With Emily, I think she may be a little in denial about her appeal; I think she turns men off with her drinking and “woo girl” behavior. That’s fine in college but she’s 30 now; constantly drinking to get drunk isn’t a point of pride. (I also don’t think she’s attractive, but that matters less.) She just has kind of a boorish vibe, which I think is off-putting.

(I do think ghosting is shitty; it’s nothing to say “it’s been fun getting to know you but I don’t see this going any further. Take care.”)

• Like 10
20 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I find it much more tolerable to record the show and fast forward through the commercials.

Ha me too!  I don't think I'd watch it if I couldn't.  The opening segment alone (scenes from before that we've already seen and what we're about to see that night) is over 3 minutes long!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I say that I take myself on dates, and that means I go to restaurants and movies and whatever else I might feel like doing alone. I also go on dates with the men I … am dating. With Emily, I think she may be a little in denial about her appeal; I think she turns men off with her drinking and “woo girl” behavior. That’s fine in college but she’s 30 now; constantly drinking to get drunk isn’t a point of pride. (I also don’t think she’s attractive, but that matters less.) She just has kind of a boorish vibe, which I think is off-putting.

(I do think ghosting is shitty; it’s nothing to say “it’s been fun getting to know you but I don’t see this going any further. Take care.”)

I knew a lot of Emily types in college.

These girls get a lot of mileage by just being semi-attractive blondes.

My two blonde roommates always had guys do their bidding.

When we were moving out they always had an army of guys doing all the work for them, even though they had no intentions of dating any of those guys.

I also had a third blonde roommate but she was a total sweetheart who would never take advantage of anyone like that.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, qtpye said:

I knew a lot of Emily types in college.

These girls get a lot of mileage by just being semi-attractive blondes.

My two blonde roommates always had guys do their bidding.

When we were moving out they always had an army of guys doing all the work for them, even though they had no intentions of dating any of those guys.

Blonde and a small or medium dress size will get you pretty far, usually (I think Emily is kind of homely though - who said she looked like George Washington? 😂), and that may be how she gets interest/sex, but if no man is sticking around past the third date and most of them don’t even respect her enough to send a text saying “Thanks but no thanks,” I don’t think she has men doing her bidding. Her “friends” don’t even like her so I’ll be very curious to see how her husband responds to her, particularly since he seems to think staying in a toxic situation is a virtue.

• Like 5
On 11/3/2023 at 4:04 PM, lh25 said:

By “interesting” we mean we’re silently judging you for waving this giant red flag but we’re too polite to call you out on it, right? What the hell happened to Orion that he was acting like a completely different person in front of Lauren’s dad?! Is this what he means with all of this matriarchy business that he can act like a “new age sensitive male” in all of the interviews and toward his wife, but suddenly talking to another man he got all “alpha male” toward dad—I won’t be bossed around and I’m going to live where I want. That was just really strange.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Emily may be promiscuous, then couple that with heavy drinking and no man is interested in having her as a  long term relationship. Big red flag…although I was 26 before I had a boyfriend. 

Edited by Alicethegoon
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Blonde and a small or medium dress size will get you pretty far, usually (I think Emily is kind of homely though - who said she looked like George Washington? 😂), and that may be how she gets interest/sex, but if no man is sticking around past the third date and most of them don’t even respect her enough to send a text saying “Thanks but no thanks,” I don’t think she has men doing her bidding. Her “friends” don’t even like her so I’ll be very curious to see how her husband responds to her, particularly since he seems to think staying in a toxic situation is a virtue.

I honestly think she is some sort of actress and this is totally set up as the "party girl". 

It seems crazy that someone could be around 30 and that clueless but I know different people mature at different times.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I honestly think she is some sort of actress and this is totally set up as the "party girl". 

It seems crazy that someone could be around 30 and that clueless but I know different people mature at different times.

If Emily is an actress, then her friends (frenemies) and family should be up for Emmys, too. They are fed up with her and know exactly why she’s single.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
On 11/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, AnnMarie17 said:

We watch MAFSUK and MAFSAustralia every season and LOVE them (currently watching this season's MAFSUK and it's as good as ever).  They move SO much faster and the weekly dinner parties/commitment sessions are damn entertaining.  Watching the US version requires a LOT of fast forwarding and even skipping some entire episodes (last week's was the first we watched this season and we only watched the ceremonies) because it's 90% filler and repetition of scenes.

I loved the UK and Aussie versions and watched them on Lifetime, but damn most of the time they don't even air the whole season and have since stopped running them all together. Where do you guys watch them?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

I loved the UK and Aussie versions and watched them on Lifetime, but damn most of the time they don't even air the whole season and have since stopped running them all together. Where do you guys watch them?

We watch on You Tube.  Sometimes you need a VPN (which we do have) and sometimes you don't...it just depends on what you can find.  We're currently watching MAFSUK without a VPN.  

Edited by AnnMarie17
Because spelling still matters.
  • Thanks 2

Cameron and Claire are the only couple I like and the height thing doesn’t bother me. I’m 5’6 and my husband is 6’7 and we’ve been together 28 years and I don’t really notice it anymore ( plus we have a son who is 6’8). I don’t find Orion attractive and I wonder if he has anything in common with Lauren. Pride in your culture isn’t enough if you don’t like to do the same things, want to live in the same place etc. Someone who has never been in a relationship needs to start way slower than marriage.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Cameron and Claire are the only couple I like and the height thing doesn’t bother me. I’m 5’6 and my husband is 6’7 and we’ve been together 28 years and I don’t really notice it anymore ( plus we have a son who is 6’8). I don’t find Orion attractive and I wonder if he has anything in common with Lauren. Pride in your culture isn’t enough if you don’t like to do the same things, want to live in the same place etc. Someone who has never been in a relationship needs to start way slower than marriage.

As a short woman myself (not that I am saying you are short), I swear that the experts only matched Charlotte's Amber and Homeless Matt because they got a kick out of a tiny girl married to a very tall failed former basketball player.

Of course, let's be honest, they have matched people for worse reasons.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

We don't get MAFS: UK in the US, alas. 

On 11/7/2023 at 12:36 PM, AnnMarie17 said:

We watch on You Tube.  Sometimes you need a VPN (which we do have) and sometimes you don't...it just depends on what you can find.  We're currently watching MAFSUK without a VPN.  

How? Where?

Never saw on either Lifetime or YouTube.  

9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

We don't get MAFS: UK in the US, alas. 

How? Where?

Never saw on either Lifetime or YouTube.  

We're currently watching it on YouTube (not YouTube TV, just regular YouTube).  We just searched for "MAFSUK 2023 Full Episodes" or something like that and dug around to find it.  Now that we've watched 20-some episodes of it this season, it just comes up as soon as we search. It airs Mon - Ths and this week is the penultimate couch episode...so I think the season will finish up next week. 

• Applause 1

@LennieBriscoe .. I’m interrupting for a minute.  I remember you and I watching Married at First Sight Australia in the beginning here on national tv.  Then it went off mid season.  I searched and found it somewhere for a little while, then it went off again, never to be shown again.  Is it on again somewhere?  I’m going to check u- tube.  I actually liked it much better than the American version.

On 11/7/2023 at 12:36 PM, AnnMarie17 said:

I would like to see the earlier versions where it left off when I was watching.  I just went on u tube .. all new episodes and it says “Subscribe”.