Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Nine Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Yeah, I really liked their conversation. It was neat to get her thoughts on some of the artists that influenced her, and I liked her attitude towards the whole idea of people "copying" another artist's sound/style, and her reaction to those who accuse other aritsts of trying to copy her. If she ever were to do an album of standards, I'd be genuinely interested to hear that. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

he must be PISSED that he decided to take this week off.

He’ll let it all out on the next new episode lol. He did a great sum up of several months worth of news after coming back from the strikes

• Like 5
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

He’ll let it all out on the next new episode lol. He did a great sum up of several months worth of news after coming back from the strikes

i know. but there’s something about being there as an event is unfolding in realtime…

• Like 6
1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

he must be PISSED that he decided to take this week off.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the decision to have a "live" clip/show from wherever he is. In the meantime, I'll check out Jimmy Kimmel... hoping it's a current show!

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the decision to have a "live" clip/show from wherever he is. In the meantime, I'll check out Jimmy Kimmel... hoping it's a current show!

i’ll be watching kimmel, as well. too bad seth meyers is off this week, as well. 

• Like 7

Daily Show is also off this week. Kimmel's gonna clean up in the ratings, being the only one with a new show tonight!

I wonder what time they tape. Maybe it was already in the can by the time the verdict was announced? I sure hope not.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Daily Show is also off this week. Kimmel's gonna clean up in the ratings, being the only one with a new show tonight!

I wonder what time they tape. Maybe it was already in the can by the time the verdict was announced? I sure hope not.

doubt it — verdict came down 5pm eastern, 2 pacific. 

that said, if colbert and meyers had new shows this they might have started taping. unless they had a heads up and held off. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

5 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

doubt it — verdict came down 5pm eastern, 2 pacific. 

that said, if colbert and meyers had new shows this they might have started taping. unless they had a heads up and held off. 

Per Google, Kimmel tapes at 4:30pm PST so if that holds he should be able to remark on the news

• Like 2
(edited)

Thanks for the tip about Kimmel.

This is what happens when you insist on taking a whole freakin' week off for every holiday. That goes for Seth, too. Jokes will be old by Monday night.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Like 5

The late night TV show people are not the only ones who may have been kicking themselves this week. "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," the NPR news quiz show, did a clip show this weekend instead of new material.

Thursday night I wondered if Stephen would do a show from his office or bathtub, as he did during Covid. But no.

• Like 1

Fun "Meanwhile" segment tonight. I got a really good laugh out of the Pringles story and all the commentary around that XD. Same with the "Wheel of Fortune" clip. 

HELL NO to those spiders, though. Nope. Nuh-uh. That's just wrong. 

• LOL 2
42 minutes ago, opus said:

I was confused by that Entertainment Weekly magazine. I thought EW was now online only.

It is, since 2022 I believe. Either it was a special print edition or they made a special mock-up for Stephen

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Does anyone find the jokes in the monologue absolutely not funny?!  I don’t know who they are geared to, people over 80? People that don’t have a real sense of humor? I may have to stop watching the show again. I don’t know where he gets his joke writers from but they are the worst I have ever heard. Compare him to Jimmy Kimmel and it’s like night and day.
Also was excited to see Tig Notaro. I absolutely love her. I was hoping she had a new series or a comedy special out. do they usually promote specials that are over two months old already? Very disappointed . 

1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Does anyone find the jokes in the monologue absolutely not funny?!  I don’t know who they are geared to, people over 80? People that don’t have a real sense of humor? I may have to stop watching the show again. I don’t know where he gets his joke writers from but they are the worst I have ever heard. Compare him to Jimmy Kimmel and it’s like night and day.
Also was excited to see Tig Notaro. I absolutely love her. I was hoping she had a new series or a comedy special out. do they usually promote specials that are over two months old already? Very disappointed . 

I'm finding most of the monologue jokes pretty funny, especially the Trump/GOP ones. Some of the regular segments that follow the monologue (like Meanwhile, Cyborasms) I don't always find funny, though I think Meanwhile is currently my favorite

• Like 4

I was never a fan of Kimmel until recently, but I agree that these days he's doing a fantastic job. 

I still find Colbert funny a good portion of the time, though, too. I think he's gotten a bit stale and is repeating his  beats a lot, and sometimes I think he's phoning it in. But when he's genuinely engaged, I think he's still funny.

I enjoyed the Tig Notaro interview-- but I had not known about her recent projects, either, so it wasn't a repeat of info, for me.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I like Stephen, but when he says Meanwhile, I’m out. Never lliked it. Haven’t changed my mind. 

That’s how I rediscovered Kimmel, who’s grown/matured quite a bit from the insufferable days. He’s done some impressive (actually listening) interviews.

Edited by buttersister
How did I hit that key?
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, SusieQ said:

I mute the sound when he does the intro to Meanwhile. Truly hate those intros!

Yeah, the intros go on too long for me, so I just fast forward

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 5:17 PM, buttersister said:

I like Stephen, but when he says Meanwhile, I’m out. Never liked it. Haven’t changed my mind.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a deep bench of post-monologue pieces and they're all just setup-punchline on quirky news/tech/science stories. Seth has a few different concepts, JK always surprises, and I guess JF still plays celebrity games?

Edited by SG429
(edited)

Stephen's face after that Trump "shark/boat" story is mine. I think my brain actually broke listening to that. What. The actual. Fuck.

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Stephen's face after that Trump "shark/boat" story is mine. I think my brain actually broke listening to that. What. The actual. Fuck.

On Seth Meyers they started the clip a bit earlier. Apparently the fish tale (or shark story) was a riff on a fake news story that all boats are going to be required to run on electricity. And the teleprompter apparently blew away?  So he started ad libbing that he had some MIT connection and so he knew the science of what would happen: The boat would sink, because the battery required to operate a boat would be too heavy.
And shark attacks had just been in the news from Florida, so I guess he figured they were scaring people in Arizona too??
Like in the Sharknado movies maybe??
But do folks in Arizona care much about boat legislation?

Cory Booker was great, as always.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I love what legendary Fred Wesley's trombone brought to the opening theme. Nice that the band and show don't feel locked in to only the traditional arrangement.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Stephen is all excited about meeting the Pope, then he goes and makes jokes about him lol

It was almost like he was daring the papal powers that be to get him uninvited.

• LOL 3
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had a similar thought lol

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If he starts up his confessional bits again, this could be a good one.

• Like 2

Aw, during the first drafts for Father’s Day cards thing with Evie, she revealed her dad died a few weeks ago. The timing is tough

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 8
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

Aw, during the first drafts for Father’s Day cards thing with Evie, she revealed her dad died a few weeks ago. The timing is tough

She leaned in close and said to Stephen, “You're going to cut this out…”
I'm so glad it was left in, including Stephen saying how her Dad had been a role model for him since his own Dad died when he was a boy. 
😢😭

• Like 5
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

I was curious so I found his obituary. His name was Joseph Halstead McGee, but he went by Peter.  I had assumed that Evie & Stephen named one of their sons Peter after Stephen's brother who died in the plane crash that also took the lives of his father and his brother Paul, but it seems it may have been a double tribute.  The obituary said that his six grandchildren called him Giggle.  It also said he was adored by his sons-in-law, "with whom he shared a love of good humor."

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Right now I can only find this video clip on Facebook where Stephen shows his writer Asher Perlman's new book of (I think?) cartoons: https://fb.watch/sQnKyOdeDi/
including this one:

91b.jpg

• [STEPHEN] This is one of my favorite cartoons of all times. It’s a genie with a dog and a stick, and the genie says, “I mean, I can throw it a third time” 
  • [LOUIS CATO LAUGHING]That's good!
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

Wow, Stephen's thread's huge, esp. compared to Jimmy Kimmels. I've been a fan of Stephen since he was a sr. correspondent on Daily Show. And i idolized him on the Colbert Report. But now, he's doing a good job on Late Show, but yanno, not everybody's got the "gift".

Anyhow, i hate to criticize, but Stephen's got this odd habit of miming what ever object he's holding in his hand so as to appear to return the mimed object to it's original place. I first saw him doing it on his Report and it was quite funny, but he's STILL doing it. It's turning into some kind of neurotic tic or something. I respectfully and lovingly hope that some producer on his show points this out to him and corrective action ensues.

GBU Stephen Colbert, you're the best!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, gimmyqueue said:

Anyhow, i hate to criticize, but Stephen's got this odd habit of miming what ever object he's holding in his hand so as to appear to return the mimed object to it's original place. I first saw him doing it on his Report and it was quite funny, but he's STILL doing it. It's turning into some kind of neurotic tic or something. I respectfully and lovingly hope that some producer on his show points this out to him and corrective action ensues.

Huh. I didn't know SC had done that bit before his current show. 
Jon Batiste always used to do an appropriate accompanying trill on the piano, so I thought it was their thing. 
And then I wondered why Louis Cato didn't pick up where Jon left off by doing a guitar strum. 

I'm guessing Stephen considers it to be his trademark schtick, like Johnny Carson's golf swing. I just tried to find a video of Carson doing it to see if there was an accompanying rim shot or anything, but I can't find it right now.

The only thing about Colbert setting aside his imaginary whatever that bothers me is that Louis or another band member don't make a sound effect to go with it, especially since I still expect to hear Jon Batiste chime in.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 6/25/2024 at 4:51 AM, gimmyqueue said:

On 6/25/2024 at 11:24 AM, shapeshifter said:

Huh. I didn't know SC had done that bit before his current show. 
Jon Batiste always used to do an appropriate accompanying trill on the piano, so I thought it was their thing. 
And then I wondered why Louis Cato didn't pick up where Jon left off by doing a guitar strum. 

I'm guessing Stephen considers it to be his trademark schtick, like Johnny Carson's golf swing. I just tried to find a video of Carson doing it to see if there was an accompanying rim shot or anything, but I can't find it right now.

The only thing about Colbert setting aside his imaginary whatever that bothers me is that Louis or another band member don't make a sound effect to go with it, especially since I still expect to hear Jon Batiste chime in.

I just watched the first 15 minutes of a Johnny Carson show from 1989 with Doc Severinsen leading the house band. When Johnny finished the opening segment, he did the golf swing mime, turning towards Severinsen, who then hit the drum in time with when Johnny's air-golf club would have hit the ball, and then did a drum roll to accompany the imaginary golf ball flying through the air, followed by the band playing the theme song.  

• Like 1

Nah, SC does it allatime. and Batiste and Cato only give a musical note about less than half the time. But again, SC does it throughout his monlogues, allatime, every time, constantly since he was on the Report. And nah, i don't need musical note, and i hypothesize that Batiste and Cato did not do it all the time, because they might think he over uses that gesture. It's a habit, I'm telling you, it is.

(edited)

I think the imaginary prop shtick is some kind of improv comedy rule or convention, that you can't just "drop" a prop, real  or not. Since he's got nowhere to put it during the monologue he's got to hand to someone, just off camera. After all these years, that imaginary prop closet must be stuffed!

Edited by SG429
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, SG429 said:

I think the imaginary prop shtick is some kind of improv comedy rule or convention, that you can't just "drop" a prop, real  or not.

Stephen throws a lot of mime bits into his routine too.

• Like 1