Type keyword(s) to search

S02:E14: Tick the Box

• Start Topic

The crew deals with a medical emergency onboard; Capt. Jason faces a tough decision when a crew member gets caught drinking on the job; a deckhand wants to take his relationship to the next level.

Airdate: 09.04.2023

Oh my god, is Margo going to get fired?  We’ve seen her sneaking a nip here and there.

If I were the chef I would tell Goober Boy Culver to stop nibbling on food where she is preparing food for the guests.  There is food in the crew mess for him.  Isn’t he suppose to be working?

Feel bad the poor guest has to fly home.  They seem like a nice group of guys.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Like 11

Like someone who was just “sampling” the drinks as the band played on, these comments are in the order of episode scenes broadcast…

So your charter guests have someone who has a severe medical problem, a seizure, and… you all just carry on.  What mates.  With friends like that…

Culver, you are a self-centred twit that would have Narcissus himself say, legitimately, “Whoa, at least I’m not like *that* guy!”

Fully support Tzarina and J-wow’s flirtations.  She likes it.  He likes it.  They genuinely like each other.  Interesting to see what happens going forward.

How is it the anchor can drop in slow-mo compared to when Adam got sacked and it was in free-fall?  Contrived?  Hmmm….

At first, I was inclined to think that Margot was just sampling drinks as she made them.  But the camera showing she drank cup after cup after cup…. Not so much.

Aesha, to Luka: “Why do you have your top on?”  Well, I’m not sure the charter guests as they are will respond to a topless Luka.

Aesha:  “I really don’t want to tell on Margot.”  And yet, you did.  Can’t handle your own department?

Jason: “I really don’t need a lei.”  Aesha: “Oh yes you do!”  Gag.  Get a room, people.

Aesha, you are so phony.  You hug Margot and encourage her, and yet you run to Jason with your report and then with crocodile tears hope she’s not fired.  You are the worst manager I’ve seen on this show.

What will happen next time?  Will Culver have his card punched?  Will Tzarina and J-Wow move forward?  Will Aesha and Jason get a room?  Stay tuned, if you can stand it…

Edited by Tanukisan
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, Emmeline said:

If I were the chef I would tell Goober Boy Culver to stop nibbling on food where she is preparing food for the guests.  There is food in the crew mess for him.  Isn’t he suppose to be working?

Yes, he's an annoying distraction in the galley and tonight we learned he is cheap too!

• Like 9
  • LOL 7
11 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Jason: “I really don’t need a lei.”  Aesha: “Oh yes you do!”  Gag.  Get a room, people.

I heard him say the opposite, that he needed a lei/lay.

Their chemistry is undeniable. I kinda wonder if that's why her boyfriend just popped in halfway around to world, to remind her that he exists.  Scott seems like a good dude, but if they don't work out, I think Jason's ready to pounce. 

7 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I actually respect Aesha's leadership more for going to Captain Jason about Margot's drinking.  She was torn about it because she really likes Margot and doesn't want to lose her as a stew, but she knew it was a violation that needed to come to Jason's attention.

Agree. That was handled very well by all parties, including Margot. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, snarts said:

Their chemistry is undeniable. I kinda wonder if that's why her boyfriend just popped in halfway around to world, to remind her that he exists.  Scott seems like a good dude, but if they don't work out, I think Jason's ready to pounce. 

I saw them together on Watch What Happens. I think they have more of a big brother/little sister vibe going on. 

I honestly don't get the thing with Culver and the "tick the box" card. Officially asking someone to be your girlfriend, after only 2 weeks? It's just so juvenile. And stupid. I mean, they banged on night one. She's already agreed to a job on another boat with him. Why not just wait and see where it goes? 

It reminds me of when Jack made a big production out of asking Aesha to be his girlfriend back on Below Deck Med a few seasons ago. Which makes me think either both were prompted by production, or else this one was suggested to Culver by Aesha herself. She really seemed excited about it. And she herself is kind of juvenile. 

14 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

So your charter guests have someone who has a severe medical problem, a seizure, and… you all just carry on.  What mates.  With friends like that…

I really don't see what else they could have done besides cancelling their charter and going to sit at his bedside in the hospital. This has apparently happened before.

That said, it was odd to hear the primary tell the Captain "this was the best vacation ever." Uh, aside from the seizure, you mean?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Yes, he's an annoying distraction in the galley and tonight we learned he is cheap too!

Come on, now!  Culver served his lady love Veuve Chicquot champagne--- what's cheap about that?  😂. Actually, I find it interesting that the crew can down the most expensive beverages on the yacht without a second thought.  I remember one stew in the past drinking the Don Julio 1942 like it was water.  It says a lot about how very special they think they are.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I really don't see what else they could have done besides cancelling their charter and going to sit at his bedside in the hospital. This has apparently happened before.

That said, it was odd to hear the primary tell the Captain "this was the best vacation ever." Uh, aside from the seizure, you mean?

I have seizures when my blood sugar drops drastically. If it were me, I would want everyone to continue on with their vacay- they received news that he was doing fine.  Seizures can be very dangerous, but reccurence is always a possibility. His friends and the crew helped and supported him wonderfully.  Leaving the cruise was a good choice because it gave him a chance to see his primary care physician right away and everyone else on the yacht could breathe easier.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

I wonder if her sippy-sips have anything to do with the (suppressed) trauma of that one drunken night...?

I think Margot said on instagram that her relationship with alcohol had been terrible for a while and she was barely touching it now. So maybe she was going hard before the Luke assault but only on nights out and then after Luke she was relying on it more to cope. It's understandable and I'm glad she's in a better place now but I don't think she deserves to be second stew and I'm going to be annoyed next week if Aesha caves. 

And is there anything lamer than Culver's questionnaire?

• Like 5
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

I like Margot. She seems like a good person. I wonder if her sippy-sips have anything to do with the (suppressed) trauma of that one drunken night...?

She was drinking the guests drinks before that happened, it was shown a couple of times. 

• Like 4
17 hours ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

I like Margot. She seems like a good person. I wonder if her sippy-sips have anything to do with the (suppressed) trauma of that one drunken night...?

To her credit, I don't think she played the "I got a text from Luke, the guy who tried to rape me, and it was unsettling" card with either Aesha or Jason.

May have been filmed just days after the incident with Luke so maybe it as still fresh to all of them.

Yeah they made a whole production out of the little date Culver set up for Jaimee, who then mocks him for the card in her TH -- she pointed out that he's 30.

But Harry mocked him too so maybe the Aussies don't get these romantic gestures.  Or at least the ones set up on reality TV.

I think if something serious went down with that guest, they might not have aired footage of him at all.  Or maybe of that particular charter.

But either they'd seen their friend go through it before or they were obligated to finish out the charter so that they could film the episode.

Serious enough that he had to go home though.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Why does Culver think it’s so funny to put on that mullet wig?  Imagine Jaimee is setting up for a romantic night and you run into this goofball in that ridiculous get-up.  Did he end up paying the tab for the evening or did Jaimee.  Harry was on point about the tick box card.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Jaimee ended up paying...I don't know if they Venmo each other or production reimburses them, but it was telling of Culver's character that he's never stepped up.  And then he was looking for cash.  Maybe Mommy doesn't let him have a credit card.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

That was for the dinner not the drinks before or afterwards?

Or to get really sloshed, they go back to the yacht and raid the booze which was supposedly provisioned for charters.

But it's ridiculous that Bravo doesn't pay, since they clear the establishment to let them film there.

I imagine the places they choose would have to have private tables, away from onlookers or background people who might not sign waivers to appear on the show.

Also for TV purposes, they have to have enough room for cameras and lights and crew to surround the table.

They don't always show the name of the place long enough for viewers to see, which you'd think the establishment would want in return for agreeing to let them film there.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MartyQui said:

but it was telling of Culver's character that he's never stepped up

Yes! Even at 18, I would have been embarrassed to act as he did. I would have hated to be considered stingy. My Dad was a real cheapskate all his life. He had a good income, but it was just part of his DNA. He was wired that way. He never realized how many family members laughed at him behind his back. I guess that's why this hit such a resonant chord with me. 🤑

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

The bill that Jaimee paid was only about $300. That definitely would not cover the drinks, appetizers, entres etc that 8 crew members consume at a dinner.

And since it is right after a tip meeting Culver is a cheap sob.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, maggiemae said:

The bill that Jaimee paid was only about $300. That definitely would not cover the drinks, appetizers, entres etc that 8 crew members consume at a dinner.

And since it is right after a tip meeting Culver is a cheap sob.

I've read that Bravo pays for the meal and first round of drinks.  The bill at the end is for the rest of the evening's beverages.  

Culver has been reaping the benefits of his crewmates picking up the tab for weeks now and hasn't stepped up.  He was hiding out when people were telling him it was his turn (loved that production caught that!) In doing so, he saved a couple hundred dollars, but now has another ding against his character that will follow him around for a while.  Not to mention he doesn't mind when others pay for him, but won't treat his "friends."  Jerk.

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
typo
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

when Jason was having his little chat with Margot, he said that when she was making drinks, she should "do the straw thing." What is that? I guess if she needs to taste it she should just take a straw sip of it?

The thing with the guest who went off to see the doctor: one "mate" went with him (Jaimie, I think). The next morning the guy's "best mate" got the call that the sick guy was heading home, "and if it's ok with you all, Jaimie will come back to the boat." That seemed really strange, like "Jaimie" wasn't best mates with the rest of them. and maybe just with the guy who got sick. Seems to point to that theory that some of these friends groups aren't really.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, dleighg said:

when Jason was having his little chat with Margot, he said that when she was making drinks, she should "do the straw thing." What is that? I guess if she needs to taste it she should just take a straw sip of it?

You stick a straw in the drink, cover the top with your thumb bring it up to your mouth and drop what's in the straw in your mouth. I guess it keeps everything clean and limits what you drink. Wasteful with the straw, they should really use a spoon like fancy bars do.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Arynm said:

You stick a straw in the drink, cover the top with your thumb bring it up to your mouth and drop what's in the straw in your mouth. I guess it keeps everything clean and limits what you drink. Wasteful with the straw, they should really use a spoon like fancy bars do.

Never seen anyone use their thumb, just tried it and it's awkward to aim once out of the drink, mostly I've seen the index finger used.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2023 at 6:26 PM, WhiskeyVictor said:

Absolutely they did. People can bury traumatic experiences deep and it doesn’t take much to bring them back up. Her trauma is especially bad since she has no memory of it and can only imagine what could have happened. The “what-ifs” can be horrific.

It should have been made clear to Luke that he was to have no contact with anyone on the yacht after he left. What was he going to say/could he say to Margot anyway? I’m just kind of amazed that he would have the balls to send a text. We all saw what happened — he has no excuse for it.

ETA: I did not find Culver’s “proposal” cute or endearing at all. It was juvenile. Maybe a step above Jack’s bloody sheet proposal to Aesha back on BDM, but not much.

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think the real question is why Margot did not block and delete Luke's phone number immediately after the incident. 

Good question…probably just didn’t think of it.

Gotta say, I’m really impressed with Jason. I like the way he runs the ship and manages his crew. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Good question…probably just didn’t think of it.

Gotta say, I’m really impressed with Jason. I like the way he runs the ship and manages his crew. 

I have a friend who "always," has a "stalker," this happens when she gives her phone number to a guy for some sort of business reason and they call her to make a sales call, my first question is why she gave her phone number and why she does not block these people, she waves it off as she too busy to do that, ugh.  Blocking a number is the very least you can do to protect yourself, why isn't it the very first thing these women do?

My friend also returns to the places where she meets these guys then gets crazy when those men are there and half the time those men in question pay no mind to her, lol.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:44 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I think the real question is why Margot did not block and delete Luke's phone number immediately after the incident. 

I think, between in the stress of trying to cope with what happened, and having to get back to work for the next charter, it may have slipped her mind. I don't think anyone expected he'd have the balls, or the ignorance to text her, especially while she's still filming and in the middle of a charter.

• Like 2
On 9/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, dleighg said:

The thing with the guest who went off to see the doctor: one "mate" went with him (Jaimie, I think). The next morning the guy's "best mate" got the call that the sick guy was heading home, "and if it's ok with you all, Jaimie will come back to the boat." That seemed really strange, like "Jaimie" wasn't best mates with the rest of them. and maybe just with the guy who got sick. Seems to point to that theory that some of these friends groups aren't really.

It was said all the guest are experienced seamen and I bet the asking if it was ok for Jaimie to come back aboard the ship is something that is asked.  Like the "Permission to come aboard" it might be good manners?

I think this group is tight and have known each other a long time.  They said the guest that got sick has a history of seizers and they have been through this before. It would make no sense for them all to end their trip to sit around and wring their hands.  And I am sure their friend would have insisted they stay.  I think his friends handled it well.

• Like 1