Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

So so game to end the week. Only had two good categories - I ran "Musical Instruments" in the J round and got 4 in "Flowers" in DJ. TSs were lady's slipper, role and taken better care of himself (myself).

Didn't get FJ today, although it was a head smack once Tyler's response of Bull Moose was revealed. I said pack horse with absolutely no thought that it was correct.

And what a turnaround resulted from that correct response. I don't particularly care for any of the 3 finalists, but good for Tyler.

• Like 3

December 15:

63% / 63% / 62%

Meh game to end the week…missed one in Musical Instruments and Double Y-ed, two in Not Really Married, Historic Documents, and Trailer Park, and three in Country Add a Letter. In DJ I missed one in "L" of a Team, Water World, and Flowers, two in San Francisco and Fictional Languages, and four in Wish I'd Said That (at least I did better than the players!).

No FJ. 

TSes: (J had 1; DJ had 6 + 1 DD) The only one I got was happy but I was on the right track for a couple others.

34 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Didn't get FJ today, although it was a head smack once Tyler's response of Bull Moose was revealed.

Same. I also guessed horse.

I was torn between rooting for Yungsheng and Tyler...sort of leaning toward Tyler, now. I love how serious he looks and then we get a little flash of his sense of humor. He has a nice smile, too.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Didn't get FJ today, although it was a head smack once Tyler's response of Bull Moose was revealed. I said pack horse with absolutely no thought that it was correct.

I said pack mule, then changed to deer.  Never would have thought of Bull Moose, though, like you said, it was a head smack when it was revealed.  

And I only got two TS -- lady's slipper and role (roll).

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

I mostly ran the made up language categories, minus the 2000 clue. That was one I never heard of, what's in from?

The $2000 clue said where it was from: Avatar, did you mean the $800 clue? that one was from Game of Thrones which I've never seen but I did recognize the name Daenerys, I'd never heard of the language though.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

that one was from Game of Thrones which I've never seen but I did recognize the name Daenerys, I'd never heard of the language though.

I've never seen it, either, but the name of the language was in my brain somewhere...just not where I could find it.

(If you gave me the language I could have told you what show it was from.)

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Teddy Roosevelt, have read a couple of books on him, was excited to see that he was featured in FJ, and… said “buffalo”. Oof. Bull Moose made so much sense after the fact.

Someday, I’ll get a perfect FJ week. Just not this one. But, hey, writers? If you want to keep boosting my odds with the literature and movie categories, I will not complain. And next time you make a clue about TR, maybe some fun facts about how he used to chase his nieces and nephews around with a dead lion skin over his head, just for horrific fun, or  how, while president, he used to take visiting dignitaries skinny dipping in the Potomac. I will get those.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Was quite moved when Yungsheng mentioned growing up in a trailer park. It’s a segment of the population which gets ignored and ridiculed. Imagine some kid watching this and feeling seen for the first time ever. 

I got Bull Moose which my husband dismissed as too obvious. Sometimes the answer is right there. 

• Like 15
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I got Oliver! right. I've done the show in community theater. I played, among other things, the policeman who finds Nancy's body. Later I got to shoot Bill Sikes with my trusty starter's pistol! (Yes, we used a starter's pistol. It looked and sounded exactly like a starter's pistol. Oh, the magic of theater!)

My youngest was in a children's theater version, where she an orphan and a little old lady. As the little old lady, her exclamation of "Bill Sikes!!" brought down the house.

For FJ, like others, I smacked my head when I saw "Bull Moose." I said Buffalo...sigh.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was torn between rooting for Yungsheng and Tyler...sort of leaning toward Tyler, now. I love how serious he looks and then we get a little flash of his sense of humor. He has a nice smile, too.

I am too, though I'm still leaning toard Yungsheng. I do love when Tyler breaks through his stiff parade rest stance and becomes a sweet young man.

image.png.382cc2707c192e1e596481983fabe409.png

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Just now, borninboston said:

News flash:
Can’t seem to copy the link, but the Washington Post is reporting that Mayim will no longer be hosting Jeopardy! 
📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/2023/12/16/jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik/?fbclid=IwAR3RmveLS7o3SpG_OBfGaA3rLPaXND43SVHM9UBdn4XEmbCeI7nNf_XBAIQ_aem_Ac39JtmYJFFxbREnoT6e8JHgdnXEReul5DeGpL4HdKdDFoGa4nSGoUcmdEuqYYXisBQ

Link goes to an article with a paywall....There are some other posts in the media thread about it. I think this is the first one: 

• Like 2

Had a decent J round - ran "Play Settings" and "Postal Abbreviation Combos" and got 4 in "Colorful Sports". Got the missed DD of hind.

Didn't do as well in DJ as I had two categories where I only had one correct response. But I did run two categories - "Dance Revolution" and "Odds & "N"s". Didn't get either of the two TSs.

Didn't get FJ - just didn't make the connection between a place of business and Christopher Park/Street, although I understood it once the correct response was revealed.

• Like 4

December 18:

60% / 43% / 51%

Not a good start to the week. After the storm last night and the flood I had to drive through this morning, it's fitting, I guess. Ran Postal Abbreviation Combos, missed one in Play Settings, two in Here Comes the Sun and P in Fashion, three in Chess, and four in Sports. In DJ I ran nothing, missed one in They Sound the Same, two in Dance Revolution, three in Odds & Ns and In Your Face, and four in US Firsts and Pancho Village.

Did not get FJ (though it was a bit of a head smack moment when it was revealed).

TSes: (J had only the DD; DJ had 2) I got hind (DD).

Was back to rooting for Yungsheng after his story about his husband taking care of the dogs (by going on a work trip and hiring a dog sitter). Loved his hugs again and how happy Tyler looked for him (Gary didn't look too excited but he doesn't seem like a super excitable type, so...). So yay.

• Like 10

I said Macy's.  Never even heard of Stonewall, wahtever that is.

I got the missed clue of hind.

I got the entire categories of fashion and postal right.

First round, not bad, second round not great, but I really needed fJ.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Never even heard of Stonewall

The Stonewall Inn, often shortened to Stonewall, is a gay bar and recreational tavern in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Lower Manhattan, New York City, and the site of the Stonewall riots of 1969, which is widely considered to be the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for LGBT rights in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Inn

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Never even heard of Stonewall, wahtever that is.

Stonewall Inn; site of the uprising which brought mainstream attention to gay rights protestors.  Following a police raid there in 1969, there was a five-night rebellion and the media finally covered that in a way they'd failed to do during previous instances of the community fighting back against police brutality.

I thought it had appeared more frequently, but according to the archive it has only been the subject of about half a dozen clues.  The most recent was near the end of last season:

RIOTS IN HISTORY $800: The 1969 riots outside this Greenwich Village bar served as a catalyst for the gay rights movement

It has been a FJ clue one other time, two seasons ago:

HISTORIC PLACES: Following a raid at this establishment in 1969, protesters confronted police by forming a Rockette-style kickline

Edited by Bastet
To add links to cited games
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I am sorry to say that I did not get FJ. 

I was sitting here wondering why I could not remember the proper name of the Twin Towers when I suddenly made the Christopher Street connection (confusingly, I link it through the musical number in Wonderful Town)  to Stonewall.

I remembered "supercilious" and guessed eyebrows instead of eyes for ciliary processes, completely ignoring what super is doing there.

I was especially impressed with Tyler but I was rooting for Yungsheng. 

• Like 6

I was amused by the fact that Tyler got "patent leather" while wearing at least two pieces of it (his belt and the strap across his chest). I'd guess his shoes probably were, too.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7

Can I get extra credit for pre-guessing “Stonewall” as soon as I saw the FJ category!!?

Earlier today I was watching a video for work in which Obama had dedicated the Stonewall National Monument in 2016 so when I saw the category name I said to myself, “It would be really hilarious if of all places they asked about Stonewall.”

😲🤣🤣🤯

I think I need to buy a lottery ticket

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 3

I know about Stonewall, but I did not recognize Christopher Street, so no FJ for me. I was happy for Yungsheng— I’m sure the win was pretty exciting on its own, but to win on a clue like this must have been especially meaningful.

3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Can I get extra credit for pre-guessing “Stonewall” as soon as I saw the FJ category!!?

I always give myself bonus points for a successful pre-guess, so I’d say yes!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I finally got an FJ right. I feel like I've had a bit of a dry spell on that.

I got the missed clues of Ferdinand, Daniel Webster, Oman (just a guess because it had the smallest name and I figured it could fit in something), and The Thorn Birds.

I got the entire category of country names right.

Not a great night, but I've definitely had worse.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

December 19:

77% / 57% / 67%

Everything ends in 7.

Felt like I wasn't starting out too well at first, and there was a sports category so I didn't have high hopes for that, but I actually ended up doing pretty well in the first round. Ran Mammals in Latin, missed one in Cautionary Rhymes, Always in Fashion, and Famous Last Words, and two in King's Crossing and Unofficial Team Nicknames.

Then did terribly in DJ…ran From the French and It Happened in 2023, but missed two in Australian Books, three in Countries Inside Other Country Names, and four in Cornerstones and Sequels.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes: (J had 3 + the DD; DJ had 6 + 1 DD) I got deer, Daniel Webster, On the Beach, and river of blood (a total guess; I also contemplated going with gold).

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe" - I was born on a Wednesday and my name means "alone" in German. 😕

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
18 minutes ago, secnarf said:

For FJ I couldn't figure out if they meant chest like the body part or chest like a chest of drawers, so I got nowhere.

I had to get to -scope first because thorax was the only chest-related word that came to mind. But once I focused on -scope, stetho- followed.  

• Like 2

Ugh...hate the new opening, hate that they still seem to be encouraging people to be over the top in their intros, hate that we have another batch of Losers' Week games.  Other than that, though, things are going pretty well.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Yay, the site's back!  Catching up -- 

Did not get FJ on Thursday.  I didn't even have a guess.  But I did get quite a few TS, including fast food franchise, Love's Labours Lost, milkshake, Mobile, John Henry, Molly Pitcher, Orkneys, Thomas Aquinas, and heartburn.

Friday, I did get FJ, but it was a total guess.  And the only TS I got was genome.

• Like 2

Yay, we're back!!

December 21:

77% / 67% / 70%

Pretty good first round, decent-ish second. In J I ran Book Tock and Legend Dairy, missed one in Union Actions and Say "Buster", two in A Very Hallmark Christmas Movie, and three in Triply Alliterative (fitting, I guess). In DJ I ran Words & Their Changing Meanings, missed one in Folklore & Legend and Philosophy, two in Eur"O"s, and three in Sampling and First Ladies' Maiden Names. Did not get FJ. At least I'm not alone.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 8 + 1DD) I got Love's Labour's Lost (DD), fast food franchise, Iowa State Fair, milkshake, Mobile Bay, Thomas Aquinas, Stoicism, Pythagoras, heartburn, the Orkneys, and Molly Pitcher (DD; I better get that one, I grew up ten minutes from the battlefield).

A Cardi B. impression and a "genre"…my night is complete.

Also the site came back up just before I was going to get ready for bed but posting was disabled. I got 11 of the 15 missed clues and I couldn't even brag about it!

---

December 22:

67% / 63% / 66%

Not a great game…in J I ran Carols, missed one in Follow the "Money", two in Chicago, Weather in the Bookstore, and Governors, and three in Going Soft. In DJ I ran Biology, missed three in Contemporaries, and two in everything else. I was not confident but I got FJ.

TSes: (J had 0; DJ had 4) The only one I got was genome.

• Like 5
On 12/20/2023 at 1:03 AM, Scott said:

Ugh...hate the new opening, hate that they still seem to be encouraging people to be over the top in their intros, hate that we have another batch of Losers' Week games.  Other than that, though, things are going pretty well.

I had thought we were done then Nope! There are some posts missing now that we are back up, someone had taken the time to explain the Gordian knot of tournament scheduling to me. Thank you so much. It feels like an endless loop of second tier tournaments. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And the only TS I got was genome.

I shouted out "Greater Good" about five times but no one heard me.

I missed FJ by settling on King George VI because of the famous quote where the Queen Mother said that she wouldn't send the children to Canada because they wouldn't go without her and she wouldn't go without the King and he wasn't going anywhere.

Congrats to Juveria -- I had forgotten that it was a 2-day affair and thought she didn't need to risk so much on the second daily double. Anything can happen Monday but Juveria has performed very well in both her games so far.

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I missed FJ by settling on King George VI because of the famous quote where the Queen Mother said that she wouldn't send the children to Canada because they wouldn't go without her and she wouldn't go without the King and he wasn't going anywhere.

I thought the same at first but then I remembered him being an appeaser rather than a warmonger & settled on Churchill. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Shrek said:

I thought the same at first but then I remembered him being an appeaser rather than a warmonger & settled on Churchill. 

I got the dates wrong. I thought Churchill wasn't in power at that point. I thought it was weird that Chamberlain might be called a warmonger (but some "I'm rubber, you're glue" accusations tend to get flung about in heated times). But I thought the accusation of being a coward (fleeing to Canada) fit him. (from my rather basic knowledge of British history, and The Crown 😉)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got the dates wrong. I thought Churchill wasn't in power at that point. I thought it was weird that Chamberlain might be called a warmonger (but some "I'm rubber, you're glue" accusations tend to get flung about in heated times). But I thought the accusation of being a coward (fleeing to Canada) fit him. (from my rather basic knowledge of British history, and The Crown 😉)

I first thought Chamberlain because of the fleeing to Canada part - and spent most of the think music trying to come up with his name ("The appeaser! The one who was PM before Churchill!") but right at the end realized that the warmonger part meant it was actually probably Churchill, and so switched my answer at the last possible second. Had I been there, I wouldn't have had time to write it down, but since I am sitting on my couch at home, I will take the credit ;)

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, secnarf said:

I first thought Chamberlain because of the fleeing to Canada part - and spent most of the think music trying to come up with his name ("The appeaser! The one who was PM before Churchill!") but right at the end realized that the warmonger part meant it was actually probably Churchill, and so switched my answer at the last possible second. Had I been there, I wouldn't have had time to write it down, but since I am sitting on my couch at home, I will take the credit ;)

Exactly the same thought process for me!
And didn't one of the contestants actually have Churc crossed out followed by Churchill? 
I'm sure that's what we would've done, @secnarf😉
Those tricky J! clue writers.🤨

BTW, it seems Chamberlain supported Churchill in the end?

• Like 2
On 12/23/2023 at 11:10 AM, Quickbeam said:

I had thought we were done then Nope! There are some posts missing now that we are back up

I just found a bunch of Jeopardy posts in my Spam folder so check there, for some reason only Jeopardy, none of the other forums I follow.

• Useful 2

I was trying to think of an adjective that had something to do with getting hit by a train, so I got nothing.

I got the missed clue of restoration.

I got the entire clues of possesives, manger and '80s right.

• Like 3

Archive game for me tonight.  I had to think about FJ, and for lack of anything better to say, I came up with the correct response. I did almost say Dumbo, but since he's fictional, I opted not to write that one down.

I got the missed clues of restoration and lepidoptera.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Barnum had Jumbo taxidermied, and later donated the stuffed elephant to Tufts University, where it was housed in a museum named for Barnum. Tufts athletic teams were named after the elephant, and students treated it as a good luck charm. The museum burned in 1975 and Jumbo was destroyed. Someone put some of the ashes in a jar, which continues to serve as a good luck charm for Tufts athletics teams.

• Useful 11

Jason's missed DD of Restoration was an instaget for me. 
According to my calculations, he would have won the day's game if he'd been able to come up with it. 
But his 2-day cumulative would still have been nowhere near Juveria's $70,800. 

In case anyone else was twitching at Juveria's pronunciation of Epoch, it is a correct British pronunciation: wiktionary.org/wiki/epoch#Pronunciation

Lepidoptera was my other instaget.
IEIYKI (It's Easy If You Know It)
Also ran MANGER ZONE.

14 hours ago, Driad said:

Barnum had Jumbo taxidermied, and later donated the stuffed elephant to Tufts University, where it was housed in a museum named for Barnum. Tufts athletic teams were named after the elephant, and students treated it as a good luck charm. The museum burned in 1975 and Jumbo was destroyed. Someone put some of the ashes in a jar, which continues to serve as a good luck charm for Tufts athletics teams.

Interesting! I was not at all familiar with the incident. 

The wording of the clue for FJ:

• The name of this animal that died in 1885 after being struck by a train that subsequently derailed lives on as an adjective

had me trying to think of an animal name associated with "derailed lives." 
Yes. I know. It was read aloud to us with a short i (ĭ) sound. 
I don't know if "derailed, lives" would've helped or even if a comma would be acceptable there. 

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I came up with the correct response. I did almost say Dumbo, but since he's fictional, I opted not to write that one down.

I got the missed clues of restoration and lepidoptera.

I spent too much time trying to decide if "name" had to be a given name, or if it could be simply "Moose" or "Squirrel" — both of which are arguably the last names of fictitious animals, albeit both are still alive, at least in my mind.

And perhaps due to yesterday being December 25th, the clue's words of "this animal" and "struck by a train" and my long drive back and forth to watch my grandson open presents, caused "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" to keep popping up in my head, at least drowning out the last 10 seconds of the Think music.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • LOL 6

December 25 🎄:

70% / 57% / 62%

Not a great game (had to play via the archive; found one video on youtube this morning and by the time I went to watch it less than two hours later it was gone). First round wasn't too terrible; ran Hobbies and The Manger Zone (lol), missed one in Let Me Phrase It This Way, two in Bats Entertainment and Getting Possessive, and four in Ride Into…. In DJ I ran nothing, missed three in Ages, Epochs & Eras and two each in everything else. Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 1 + the DD; DJ had 3.) I got Restoration (DD), Lepidoptera, and soapstone.

Hope everyone who celebrates had a merry Christmas. Went to my uncle's for dinner (manicotti and meatballs); there were only 6 of us and it was pretty quiet.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Moose" or "Squirrel" — both of which are arguably the last names of fictitious animals, albeit both are still alive, at least in my mind.

It's like they say about Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: "They never lived, and so can never die."

• Like 3
  • LOL 1