Type keyword(s) to search

The Wishlist: What We'd Like To See & What We Expect

vb68
  • Start Topic

TMZ reports this is Kenan's last season. Someone at SNL denies it, saying cast changes are never announced 'til season's end.

TMZ said Kenan intends to leave after this season.

An SNL spokesperson responded by saying the report “is inaccurate as the season hasn’t even started and cast decisions aren’t made until the end of the season.”

But the SNL spokesperson totally dodged the TMZ article.

If he intends to leave and he's not contracted for next year, Lorne Michaels and his "cast decisions" don't matter at all.

The TMZ article is about Kenan planning to leave. The SNL response is about Lorne making casting decisions. Two separate but not unrelated things.

Edited by nowandlater

TMZ reports this is Kenan's last season. Someone at SNL denies it, saying cast changes are never announced 'til season's end.

I think it's funny that someone at SNL felt the need to  comment on it today.  What was the point?   We know they have a full season to go until they will have to deal with this.  Duh.  But this sorta proves Kenan is correct that Lorne doesn't want to let him go.  My impression is that Kenan felt he had to get in front of this and put his decision  out now so when Lorne  comes asking him to stay again, Kenan can say he's already made his choice.   And not a whole day goes by, and they still try to pull him back in....

Edited by vb68

Even though I know it's time for him to go, it still makes me sad that this is (pretty much) Keenan's last season. I remember All That debuting when I was a kid, so at this point in life, I have literally watched Keenan do sketch comedy for 20 years. Seeing him every week always makes me happy that someone who I saw hone his craft as a kid finally made it to the "big stage" (if you will).

Eh, I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic this morning, but Keenan very strongly reminds me of my childhood, so I've always had a fondness for him.

• Love 2

Statement from TMZ:

“SNL says our story is ‘inaccurate as the season hasn’t even started and cast decisions aren’t made until the end of the season.’ But as we reported … this is not an SNL decision — it’s Kenan’s decision, and we know he’s already made it.”

I think that Lorne and SNL don't like cast members announcing they're leaving at the beginning of the season because they don't want it to turn into a season-long swan song.

It's okay to announce before your last show, but not before your last 20 shows!

I mean, does Kenan get extra "What Up With Thats" this season?

It just becomes a distraction.

I mean, does Kenan get extra "What Up With Thats" this season?

Without Jason Sudeikis there (or Bill Hader either) on some type of regular basis, I would really doubt it.  They didn't do it last season did they?   FWIW, I don't see Sudeikis being one who ever cameos that much at all.  He just doesn't seem the type.

I get the overall point, though.  I can understand them being unhappy he did that.  And they sorta went through that last year with Seth, and yes, I think it was a HUGE distraction.  I wonder if they already start to phase Kenan out.

• Love 1

OK, I did a little digging, and I've uploaded a clip from "SNL on Stern" in which Lorne gushes about Kenan (followed by an interview with Kenan).

*FYI: SNL on Stern is a 25-30 hour radio documentary that ran on Howard Stern's Sirius channel in 2011, featuring 30 years of interviews with SNL stars, plus fresh commentary with Lorne. A Stern producer interviewed Lorne, not Stern.)

• Love 1

I find it interesting that in the promos for the Sarah Silverman show, Sarah made a joke about being the first woman to host this season, with Taran trying to explain to her that it was only the second episode and the male-female hosting ratio so far was even. And now we're almost six episodes into the season and Sarah is still the only female host so far. Oh, this show.

• Love 1

I find it interesting that in the promos for the Sarah Silverman show, Sarah made a joke about being the first woman to host this season, with Taran trying to explain to her that it was only the second episode and the male-female hosting ratio so far was even. And now we're almost six episodes into the season and Sarah is still the only female host so far. Oh, this show.

I was going to make that exact same comment. Yeah, what's up with 1 female and 5 males????

I should also point out that Carrey, Rock and Harrelson are all hosts who hosted in the 90s, but not in the decade of the 2000s.

I'm not sure where this goes (here or media) but this seems as good as any - I just heard Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson's new song on the radio, and now I am insanely excited for their performance in two weeks.  If there's one person that's always sounded fantastic on the show, and gives a high energy performance, it's Bruno Mars, and I can't wait to see him KILL IT on the Cameron Diaz episode.

• Love 1

I'm just going to hope The Californians comes back. I know it's a pipe dream since many of the participants are no longer on the show. But as someone who is from the area and takes all those convoluted freeway routes it's frelling hilarious.

• Love 2

I'm from the area as well and I find the Californians hilarious. They described once the route to get out of Simi Valley and it was absolutely correct!

Someone on the internet dissected them awhile ago and they were all correct down to the alternate routes. I would have loved to see one covering the 405/22/605 closures or Carmegeddon.

Apparently Fred Armisen wrote Californians, so maybe I'll get my wish if he comes back to host.

• Love 1

Bill Hader said in an interview that he and Fred were riffing prior to the table read, using those voices and that's how Californians came about. Then Fred would constantly try to crack Bill up. It's always my favorite part of the sketch--"whatareyoudoinhere?"

• Love 2

In my homage to the 2015 film awards season, I would love to see either Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne or Benedict Cumberbatch host, to name three. If BC hosts, the opening monologue could feature him teaching the cast and the musical guest(s) how to pronounce his name, with varying degrees of success/epic fails.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Not Cumberbatch, but Martin Freeman.

James Franco, Martin Freeman, and Amy Adams will be the final three Saturday Night Live hosts of the year, NBC announced Thursday. Franco will host the Dec. 6 show with Nicki Minaj as musical guest.

The following week, Hobbit and Sherlock star Freeman will be accompanied by Charli XCX. Adams will host the final show before Christmas Dec. 20 with musical guest One Direction.

Bringing this over from the media thread:

Franco and Minaj on the same show. There's plenty of cra-cra potential to make this one interesting.

I just can't shake this image I have of Anne Hathaway up in the balcony tossing insults at James Franco all night.  Heh.

• Love 3

Meryl Streep.

I also would love to see Lily Tomlin host again.  I want to see what she and Kate could do together.  Kate was very clear at The Kennedy Center Honors that Lily is her hero.

And for Marvel guys, Robert Downey Jr. needs to come back.  After that Rolling Stone article, he has something to prove. 

(edited)

Another My Top 10 Most Wanted SNL Hosts

10.KingBach
9.Chris Evans
8.Will Arnett
7.D-Trix (TheDominicShow)
6.Nick Offerman
5.Stephen Colbert
4.Candice Swanepoel
3.Miles Teller
2.Benedict Cumberbach
1.Jimmy Kimmel

Edited by Snlwatcher97

My Top 10 Most Wanted SNL Hosts

10.Michael Bay

9.Karlie Kloss

8.Stephen Amell

7.Grant Gustin

6.Ryan Higa

5.Jenna Marbles

4.Matthew Santoro

3.Brittany Furlan

2.Miranda Sings

1.Markiplier

OMG your list makes me feel ancient. I know Michael Bay and I think I know who Stephen Amell might be, but I couldn't pick any of these people out of a lineup.

• Love 4

I would love to see Idris Elba, Michael Fassbender and Taraji P. Henson host.

If someone from a CW show must host, IMO it should be Golden Globe winner Gina Rodriguez from Jane the Virgin, the network's one and so far only major acting award winner.

• Love 1

OMG your list makes me feel ancient. I know Michael Bay and I think I know who Stephen Amell might be, but I couldn't pick any of these people out of a lineup.

Lol! Well, Karlie Kloss is a Victoria Secret Model, Grant Gustin plays Barry Allen/The Flash on CW's The Flash, Ryan Higa, Jenna Marbles, Matthew Santoro, Brittany Furlan, Mirnada Sings and Markipiler are all Youtubers.

My prediction for the season finale is Jon Hamm/Florence + the Machine. Him because Mad Men is ending and I think they usually like to cap off the season with an alum and/or recurring host, and them because their album drops the first week of June. Although this may be more wishful thinking than an actual, thought-out prediction, but whatever.

I find it odd how much the show has been struggling to book musical guests more than a couple weeks ahead lately. I think this is at least the third time over the past two seasons that they've officially announced a host with no attached musical guest until closer to when the show airs.

• Love 1

ScarJo will probably be too busy doing press for Avengers during the week leading up to the release so I'm not sure she'd be able to do May 2nd.

Jon Hamm is a good guess for the finale.  He hasn't hosted in a while and Mad Men is ending.  I I like his SNL episodes, but if the stuff that's coming out about his college frat boy antics are even halfway true I don't care if he's never on again.

ScarJo will probably be too busy doing press for Avengers during the week leading up to the release so I'm not sure she'd be able to do May 2nd.

ScarJo is already the announced host for May 2nd. The musical guest still hasn't been announced yet though.

I'm also hoping we're getting Jon Hamm before the end of the season, and I'm assuming it will be for the finale. I would really love to see that man host again.

I'm also trying to look at big movies coming out over the next few weeks - with the HUGE promotion effort Sophia Vergara and Reese Witherspoon have been going through for Hot Persuit, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one of them hosting an episode before the end of the season.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Jon Hamm is a good guess for the finale.  He hasn't hosted in a while and Mad Men is ending.  I I like his SNL episodes, but if the stuff that's coming out about his college frat boy antics are even halfway true I don't care if he's never on again.

I hadn't heard about this so I looked it up, and just...WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU. WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU.

Seriously, Hamm? Of all the jags you could have been, it was violently hazing frat boy jag? Why do you hurt me in this way?

The promotional tours for Pitch Perfect 2 have started (I think the movie comes out May 15). I'd love to see Anna Kendrick host again. If not her, then I think Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, and Elizabeth Banks would also be great choices.

• Love 1

I'm also trying to look at big movies coming out over the next few weeks - with the HUGE promotion effort Sophia Vergara and Reese Witherspoon have been going through for Hot Persuit, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one of them hosting an episode before the end of the season.

Excellent call.  I bet anything that Sofia shows up too.

The Jon Hamm stuff just makes me sad.  Always liked him.