Type keyword(s) to search

The Wishlist: What We'd Like To See & What We Expect

vb68
  • Start Topic

Any guesses on who might be the first host or anything else?

i'm guessing the first show will be September 27, so we could hear some type of announcements this week.  Or next week at the latest.

I'm not expecting any new cast members, but you never know.  I wouldn't think it would be more than one new featured performer if there are any at all.

For the past couple of years, the first shows have been hosted by former cast members.  I would for Bill Murray to do it this year.

What movies are coming out around then? "This is Where I Leave You" has Tina Fey, Jason Bateman, and Ben Schwartz (I really want Ben to host). Or "No Good Deed" has Taraji P Henson and Idris Elba

Big movies from the summer? We could have Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Megan Fox, Will Arnett, Zoe Saldana. This summer had not a lot of big movies!

I think it will be someone from The Voice hosting. They are the only show NBC cares to promote. Let's just throw Amy Poehler in there too because she is always a great one. Oh, and Mindy Kaling

ETA: I would love for Uzo Aduba from Orange is the New Black to be a host this season. 

Edited by BoogieBurns

I was hoping for the 40th season that all the hosts would either be past cast members or five-timers, but I realize that's highly unlikely. Idk who I'd want to see...I don't watch the show (it's on my list) but someone from OITNB would be awesome. Laverne Cox, maybe? Has a trans* person ever hosted before? I feel like it could be a big deal, and a nice way to use a landmark season as sort of a progressive vehicle. Appreciating the past but looking towards the future and all that.

Thanks to my mom, Downton Abbey has been my obsession for awhile now. I'd love someone from that show to host and for them to do a proper DA sketch, though I'm sure if anyone ever does, it'll be Michelle Dockery. Not that I have a problem with her (she was really great in a Funny or Die video from a few months back), but she's the one that always seems to get all the Downton attention when there's a lot of talented people in the cast. But one of them could do an episode in December as part of the promo for the US premiere of Season 5 in January.

Oh, Maggie Smith to host!  It won't happen, but boy it would be epic if it did.

Probably not the premiere, but I do get a strong sense that Chris Pratt  is gonna host.  Just think of all the Groot jokes they could do.

And as for Netflix shows, please let Kevin Spacey host again.  He's great at it. 

• Love 2

Let's just throw Amy Poehler in there too because she is always a great one. Oh, and Mindy Kaling.

Anybody find it odd that Poehler has only hosted once (the 2010 season opener) in the 5 1/2 years that she left the show.

Contrast that with Tina Fey, who hoted 3 times within 5 years of leaving the show.

Yeah, Poehler has a sitcom, but so did Fey.

Oh, Maggie Smith to host!  It won't happen, but boy it would be epic if it did.

Who do I have to sell my soul to for this to happen? Cuz there's no way it would happen on its own. When's the last time Maggie Smith came stateside? She's never at award shows or anything (not trying to knock her; she is older and I know she's had some health problems, and I can understand her not wanting to make a trans-Atlantic flight. My nana doesn't like to fly anymore either). But if by some miracle it happened, I demand that Colin and Cecily step aside and they let her do Update, just because. Imagine the snark.

Anybody find it odd that Poehler has only hosted once (the 2010 season opener) in the 5 1/2 years that she left the show.

Contrast that with Tina Fey, who hoted 3 times within 5 years of leaving the show.

I'm pretty sure Parks and Rec films in California, while 30 Rock filmed in and around NYC. It would be easier to get Tina to host since she lives and works in the city, whereas getting Amy to come out would be more difficult.

Has there been any more buzz on plans for the three-hour special in February? I'm really looking forward to that.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure Parks and Rec films in California, while 30 Rock filmed in and around NYC. It would be easier to get Tina to host since she lives and works in the city, whereas getting Amy to come out would be more difficult.

Has there been any more buzz on plans for the three-hour special in February? I'm really looking forward to that.

Yeah, but it shouldnt' be hard to get Amy to NYC for 1 week during hiatus. Look at all the other Parks and Rec cast members who are busy on other projects.

Also, from any interview with Amy last year:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/parks-and-recreations-amy-poehler-on-nyc-her-costars-and-more

Time Out New York: You and the other founders of the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre are now based in L.A. What legacy do you think the group left in NYC?

Amy Poehler: I still consider New York my home, and I’m here about five months out of the year...

Poehler is usually living in New York after Parks and Rec wraps for the season, so April and May, which is why she always appeared on the season finale Weekend Updates with Seth.

Also, Parks and Rec's boss/creator is a former SNL writer who is married to a former SNL writer. So he'd understand.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

I think it's two things:

1. The LA vs NYC piece (which Helenamonster already mentioned)

2. She also had just given birth when she left, and was pregnant again shortly after, which Parks and Rec had to work their schedule around (which would leave filming at erratic times).  She probably didn't feel like going across the country with two young kids.  And then not even two years after that, she was going through a divorce.  I can see how hosting might not be high on her list of priorities.

As for my hosting guesses: I agree that Chris Pratt is probably a lock, and I bet we see Jon Hamm in the spring to promote the final season of Mad Men.  Interstellar is coming out in November, so we could see McConnaughy (long shot) or Anne Hathaway (probably a good bet).  Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig have a movie coming out together; I could see either one back to host.  I could see Ben Affleck hosting again when Gone Girl comes out.  When does Horrible Bosses 2 come out; any of those three guys could come to host.  My dark horse guesses: Seth comes back to host, or Stephen Colbert finally hosts once he gets The Late Show.    

My off the wall wishes:

-Amy Schumer, but I'm not sure if she's a big enough name.  

-John Mulaney (because I just love him) but with Mulaney on another network, and his own admission that he doesn't like acting in sketches, I don't know that he'd do it, even if the option was on the table.

-Chris Hardwick.  His schedule is probably too busy, but I'd love to see him tackle it.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

I think it's two things:

1. The LA vs NYC piece (which Helenamonster already mentioned)

2. She also had just given birth when she left, and was pregnant again shortly after, which Parks and Rec had to work their schedule around (which would leave filming at erratic times).  She probably didn't feel like going across the country with two young kids.  And then not even two years after that, she was going through a divorce.  I can see how hosting might not be high on her list of priorities.

But as I pointed out, Poehler lives nearly half the year in NYC, with her kids. She's also has worked frequently in NYC in the past few years, from her new movie with Tina Fey to They Lived Together.

If you look at her IMDb page, she has a ton of projects. So it's not NYC and it's not that her kids are keeping her from working.

Maybe she doesn't want to host or maybe she hasn't been invited back. But it's odd that one of SNL's most celebrated and talented cast members has only hosted once.

Maybe she doesn't want to host or maybe she hasn't been invited back. But it's odd that one of SNL's most celebrated and talented cast members has only hosted once.

Well in fairness, she pops up a lot.  it's not like she refuses to step foot in the building.

I thought she did seem very nervous during her monologue, which seemed weird to me at the time.  I  don't get that from her on award shows at all.  But maybe she does prefer to be one of the gang rather than serving as host.

I certainly don't think it's because she hasn't gotten invited back.  I'm sure she'll be around this season whether she hosts or not.

ETA: Jinx with Princess Sparkle!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Amy P has a book coming out in October, and Parks and Rec is having a late start on their newest season. If she doesn't host, I'll be so confused! Plus, she is Beyoncé (according to her)

Should Amy host again,  I think it would be hilarious if during the opening she insists she's Beyoncé until the real one shows up and tells her to knock it off or she'll sic Solange on her.

Speaking of Beyoncé, I think that, given the right material, she would make a great host/musical guest.

New writers have been hired.

There are some rumors at various sites that are saying that the first three hosts will be Bill Murray, Sarah Silverman, and Chris Pratt, but nothing is confirmed that I see.   I like all of those and hope they are legit.  Silverman would be really interesting given her very short tenure on the show.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I'm going to stay positive about the new writers. Imo, that's where last season fell short. This show has the talent to carry out some great material, but when the writing's not there, there's only so much anyone can do, no matter how good a performer they may be.

I think one of the issues with the writing last season was that the idea for the sketch was always there, but the execution tended to be less than awe-inspiring. Many times, a sketch would start and I'd see the premise and think "ah yes this is great I can't wait to see where they go with this" and then it would just devolve into either nonsense or the most obvious, lazy jokes (I'm blanking on examples right now). I hope these new writers are willing to take more risks.

I'm hoping for more sketches in the vein of Twin Bed: a simple, not extraordinarily original premise that really gets to the heart of what makes the topic funny and just runs with it.

• Love 1

I bet Chris Pratt is so excited! Hope Anna Faris shows up to play a fake Leslie Knope. 

Edit: Bill Murray/Hozier will be the host/musical guest of the 3rd episode.

Has the rumor been confirmed? Because NBC has announced the 3rd episode yet.

Assuming the third show is on Oct. 11, it would make so much sense to have Bill Murray host that night because it would be the anniversary of the first show.

Happy 39th anniversary!

I wonder if Bill and Hillary Clinton will stop by this season, since they were married on Oct. 11, 1975, hours before SNL's debut.

And since they're the most enduring public figures during SNL's time.

It would be funny if they did a Parks and Rec skit with somebody playing Amy Poehler.

I'd love to see Kate McKinnon's take on Leslie Knope. But I do hope Amy herself shows up, or literally anyone else from P&R like Nick Offerman because that would be amazing.

I want Nick Offerman to host is what I'm saying.

Here's your spot to talk about Season 40 and beyond on Saturday Night Live; who you would like to see host, announcements of hosts and musical guests, and what you would like to see happen. Discussion of individual episodes will still take place in episode topics.

Happy 40th, SNL!

How interesting.  I didn't see that coming.   from the sound of it, Cecily herself asked for the change.  Or at least that's what they are saying.  I wonder if she'll revive  The Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started A Conversation With character.  That might be too awkward for awhile, though.  

I also like the other idea in the article to show one episode for each season in the 10 pm primetime slot.  Good idea. 

Michael Che worked on the last episode of last season. And he'll be on the first episode of this season, so it's like he never left. (Except for the whole Daily Show thing. Poor Jon Stewart -- he keeps hiring really talented people!)

And OMG: 3 black males on SNL at the same time! Just pionting that out.

And a 2-guy desk!

This is truly the post-Seth Meyers-era!

The reruns will be fun because you can't find a lot of the seasons anywhere. I always watch the 9 pm repeats since nothing comes on before the live episode.

I didn't start watching SNL until the Will Ferrel/Cheri Oteri cheerleader years. Anything from the 70's or 80's will be completely new to me. 

Edit: Michael Che had a 2-minute talk show that was a bit on Best Week Ever. He is funny.

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 1

But has anybody ever lost Update and continued on the show?

Well there's Norm, but that didn't last long.

I think that's going to be  somewhat awkward.  I think it would have to be. 

But has anybody ever lost Update and continued on the show?

Well there's Norm, but that didn't last long.

I think that's going to be  somewhat awkward.  I think it would have to be. 

Probably. I also think Lorne's excuse was bs. Yes, Cecily will have more time to work on sketches, but he threw it out there that Ceicly wanted more sketch time like that's something unusual. Isn't that a common complaint among cast members? Everyone wants to appear in sketches.

I would have rather Lorne had gotten rid of Colin. I still don't get that decision. Colin can be funny, but so can the rest of the cast, even Kyle. (I don't like Kyle. And that started before his annoying commercials.) At a time when we have such a strong female cast, I'm a little puzzled by this decision.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm quite surprised by that announcement. Michael Che is also the first African-American anchor of WU since, what, Eddie Murphy? I remember him hosting some version of Update back in the day.

It's amusing that Michael Che is looking like he'll be the most successful guy to come from the failed reboot of Best Week Ever.  I recall him not being very liked by some when he was on that show.

Anyway.  I like Michael Che and look forward to seeing him on WU.

Thank goodness Cicely Strong is outta there.  Michael Che will be awesome.  Colin Jost has grown on me.

I concur. I never warmed to Cecily at the WU desk. I liked Michael Che a lot on The Daily Show, so I am disappointed that he isn't continuing there, but glad to see him on SNL. I like Colin Jost too. 

I am very surprised by this and also very confused! I thought Lorne totally favoured Cecily and never imagined that he would replace her. If anything I thought he would replace Colin Jost, even though he's the head writer. I also thought WU was such a coveted job at SNL, even more than doing sketches? The last several Update anchors have been some of the most successful cast members ever. The article did make it sound like this was partly because Cecily asked for this change in order to do more sketches and I wonder if that's really true. She still seemed to be in a ton of sketches last year and was in practically every sketch in some episodes, while also doing Update. I'm also wondering if this is Lorne's way of trying to separate himself even further from the diversity controversy

I wonder if Cicely was feeling the brunt of some backlash for being all over the show last season. I do think her sketches went downhill last season, so maybe this will help up the quality. Still has to sting though.

I don't watch The Daily Show, but I did have the chance to see Michael Che at the Oddball comedy festival and he was hysterical. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the desk. And I think this is our first male/male WU combo ever, isn't it?

Edited by Princess Sparkle

Maybe Cecily was feeling a lot of pressure and just wants to focus on sketches, but from a still being in the show perspective, it doesn't make much sense to me.  Like someone else was saying, ever since Tina and Jimmy took it over going on 15 years now, it has been the crown jewel and major launching pad for turning people on the show into big stars.  I don't think she'll be viewed as the golden child or  rising star anymore.  Well granted she was ceding that to Kate anyway, but I still think there's going to be a vague whiff of failure over her now. 

Edited by vb68

The reruns will be fun because you can't find a lot of the seasons anywhere. I always watch the 9 pm repeats since nothing comes on before the live episode.

I didn't start watching SNL until the Will Ferrel/Cheri Oteri cheerleader years. Anything from the 70's or 80's will be completely new to me. 

I like that they made the decision to run a whole episode from each year (in the 60 minute form) and that's it. That is a really neat idea, and I also like that they pretty much went with "the one we nominated for an Emmy", rather than screwing around with picking one with the best guest or best known sketch.

As somebody who has been around with this show a lot longer than the Will Ferrel era, I think what you'll see is wild swings in casts, look and feel, and I'm sure some surprises at how good, and not so good, some of the eras were.  It will also be a nice walk though history and what was relevant in pop culture for the last 40 years.

• Love 1

I highly doubt Cecily asked to be bumped from the desk.  My guess is Lorne didn't love the chemistry between Colin and Cecily and decided to replace Cecily to achieve the chemistry instead of Colin since Cecily is legitimately strong in sketches.  She's stronger at sketch than she is at the desk; although I do think she's a stronger desk person than Colin.  And what is it Seth has said about having a head writer at the desk?  Lorne likes it because it ensures it gets written each week.

Like someone else was saying, ever since Tina and Jimmy took it over going on 15 years now, it has been the crown jewel and major launching pad for turning people on the show into big stars.

I guess everyone at the desk has had a decent post-SNL career but I wouldn't label them as major stars.  Jimmy's film career failed after he left SNL and Lorne saved his career in a way by giving  him Late Night & The Tonight Show.  It's a popular show, no doubt but I wouldn't exactly trace that success because of his desk gig.  Tina is probably the biggest post-desk success because she had a moderately successful show and she does movies.  Amy is making a similar transition but she isn't doing her own writing like Tina does.  And Seth just started his late night talk show and created a hulu show.  I like his show but I don't know that I'd call him a big star.

But other SNLers, who were never at the desk, have also had some decent post-SNL success like Kristen, Jason, Will Forte....etc. I'm sure you can think of others. 

The common thread with the successful deskers isn't the fact that they were at the desk, it's because they're liked by Lorne.  He produced the projects of  3 of the 4.  He was 30 Rock producer, Late Night and now Tonight Show producer.  And Amy's post-SNL project was on NBC. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1