Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Urgent Care

• Start Topic

I definitely laughed at the Gizmo Vampire Frogs, especially the one at the end that croaked "Gui Ller Mo" like the old Budweiser ads.

"The only hairy frog I'm interested in, my darling, is the one between your legs."
"It's not just a frog, it's the whole swamp!"

Never change, you two.

And yeah, Colin Robinson got a black eye and suddenly all of his stories become interesting. Too bad he's not an emotional vampire, he would've had a smorgasbord every time he got hurt, went viral, and ran into a celebrity. Yeah, loved that John Slattery going on about accents was too much for Colin and Nandor. I laughed a bit loud at the two of them rolling out of his car.

Oh no, Nadja found out that Guillermo got turned thanks to a blood test. It's not gonna be good when Nandor finds out. And Colin Robinson, of course, doesn't give af about it.

And yeah, do NOT fuck with Nadja. She didn't even need to pull rank that she's the head of the Staten Island Vampiric Council, she fucked up that hospital all on her own. It's sweet that she really does care about Gizmo in her own way.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 8
Just now, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Won't the vampire doctor tell the powers that be about Guillermo? The Guide will surely find out.

That's a good point. I was about to say that the gang ARE the powers that be...at least in Staten Island. I almost forgot about the others. Baron and Sire aren't going to like it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Why are they doing blood tests for a broken ankle? 

I guess if they are just routinely putting down any familiar that comes in, I shouldn't ask logical questions. 

John Slattery out-draining an energy vampire was really funny to me.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Goes without saying that this whole cast is amazing and every character interaction is on point, but I always find myself surprised over how much I enjoy it whenever Nadja and Guillermo are paired together.  On paper, they seem like a duo that wouldn't gel as well compared to some of the others, but they actually end up being the highlight most of the time.  All of their interactions were hilarious here and not only does Nadja find out the truth, but she goes all out to save his ass from being "put down."  Sure, she says that it's because she thinks Nandor should be the one to make that call/do it, but deep down I also think it's because she doesn't want this "obnoxious" familiar to go anywhere!

The stuff with Nandor and Colin was great too.  I loved seeing Colin at a loss because he was unable to drain anybody due to being "interesting" now thanks to that black eye.  And it kept getting worse: even being TikTok famous!  John Slattery's appearance was unexpected, but fun.  Love that he ended up driving both Nandor and Colin crazy with all of his accent talk.  Almost like their version of an energy vampire!  Kind of interesting how a good portion of the Mad Men cast have really thrived more with comedy instead of more dramas after that show.

Laszlo/Matt Berry was really slaying me tonight with the way he was over enunciating  or pronouncing certain words.  I don't know how he makes it never get old, but I love it!

Excellent episode!

• Like 8

All praise to Nadja for turning into SuperNadja and kicking ass up & down Urgent Care.  Most of this ep felt like a summer action film!

Said it before, I’ll say it again: one of the reasons this show works so well is that there’s real — or at least, grudging — affection between the characters.  It’s a case of “We can abuse him, he’s family — you can’t, he’s family!”  There’s overlap there with the source material.

Side note: how many times did they reshoot the scene in Slattery’s car?  How can you get through that “regional accents are fascinating” speech without breaking character?

Side note B: Calling it: NadjaDoll is going to find GizmoFrog and make it her pet.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Hey stop killing my buzz by overthinking this! 🤣

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Won't the vampire doctor tell the powers that be about Guillermo? The Guide will surely find out.

Isn't he dead? I thought Guillermo stabbed him with the "put him down" needle. To save Nadja. He does love them all and they love him back! Not only was Nadja saving Guillermo but Nandor was saving Colin!

This was another surprising and delightful episode, including a surprise John Slattery. OMG, he nailed that monologue. There's even the unspoken joke that he finds *Colin's* accident fascinating and hard to pin down when he's got Nandor in the car.

Speaking of Colin, I love that he's got a fascinating life that he can weaponize to give back energy. Davy Crockett + ASS forever on a Bowie knife!

Guillermo was hilarious when high. "Hey gurrrrl!" Love his floating frogs as well. Why were those hairy little guys so funny?

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Isn't he dead? I thought Guillermo stabbed him with the "put him down" needle. To save Nadja. He does love them all and they love him back! Not only was Nadja saving Guillermo but Nandor was saving Colin!

You may be right; but wouldn't there evidence that he was killed by a familiar brought in by Nadja?  Maybe there won't be repercussions, but there should be.

I do wonder if whatever was in the hypodermic that could kill a partially-turned vampire would be able to kill (not just temporarily incapacitate) a true vampire.  Was it holy water?  It shouldn't be an easy task to accomplish. I'm not sure that Nandor should have been capable of being completely drained to the point of "death" by Lazlo's machine, either. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

What a fun episode. Colin Robinson is interesting! Oh no! 

Enough to draw everyone's attention away from poor Guillermo suffering on the floor. But with these guys it wouldn't take much lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Is John Slattery an energy vampire???

OMG. The Familiar Vet was just hilarious from start to finish. One of them in the waiting room had one of those collars around his neck to prevent him from licking himself. Another one was in a kennel cab! And the doctor just kept saying it would be best to just put them down. Nadja running through the place opening doors to exam rooms gave us a peek at such hilarious sights.

I have to say, I think the show is struggling a bit to make The Guide a series regular. She had barely a cameo this episode. The five established leads work well in various groups and pairings, we don't really need a sixth. 

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I do wonder if whatever was in the hypodermic that could kill a partially-turned vampire would be able to kill (not just temporarily incapacitate) a true vampire.

I thought Guillermo stabbed him in the heart with a knife.

11 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Speaking of Colin, I love that he's got a fascinating life that he can weaponize to give back energy. Davy Crockett + ASS forever on a Bowie knife!

Is this the first time Colin has ever mentioned having a same-sex relationship? He's been established as primarily hetero prior to this. Also, Davy Crockett lived between 1786-1836. How does Colin remember that far back if it was a previous incarnation of his? He didn't even know what "his deal" was before he died at the end of Season 3.

• Like 7

So gross that foot lol

On 8/11/2023 at 10:57 AM, iMonrey said:

I have to say, I think the show is struggling a bit to make The Guide a series regular. She had barely a cameo this episode. The five established leads work well in various groups and pairings, we don't really need a sixth. 

She's OK but I wouldn't miss her.

Edited by Starchild
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Or at least immune to them.

I'm fine with her in small doses--nice having her show up as a volunteer as her way of "giving back" and that's it.

Is this the first time Colin has ever mentioned having a same-sex relationship? He's been established as primarily hetero prior to this. Also, Davy Crockett lived between 1786-1836. How does Colin remember that far back if it was a previous incarnation of his? He didn't even know what "his deal" was before he died at the end of Season 3.

And yet he did read every single one of his diaries to come back to his regular self. So my guess is the cycle that repeats is that as he gets close to death he starts losing his memories and starts longing to know about his origins, then when he's reborn he finds the stuff he arranged when he was at the start of the cycle and remembered everything.

Gotta wonder what famously interesting Davey Crockett saw in Colin!

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 6

Loved this ep, except for just about everything being too dark for me to see.

John Slattery basically as a human energy vampire was pretty funny.

I was cracking up at the doctor’s solution to every medical concern, “Just to be safe, I say we put him down.” And was one of the vampires Jeff Hiller? I wasn’t able to catch the end credits.

Nandor and Colin Robinson rolling out of Slattery’s car was fantastic.

Is LBB standing for “little boring bitch” a real thing? If not, it should be.

I believe that one guy at urgent care who Nadja pushed out of the way made a Wilhelm scream.

“Get away from her, you bitch” was a reference to Aliens, yes?

As I said, the ep was very dark (literally) so I didn’t get a good look at the frogs until the very end. Are they transforming into little humanoids?

• Like 6

The first time they enter the UC room, the doctor is telling another vampire that they should put down her familiar, because of quality of life even if he was treated.

I was thinking, makes sense, the vampires have compassion.

Then "wait what?"

Turns out the doctor's prescription for everything was to put them down, kill them.

I'm thinking the vampires need to get a different insurance plan or try to find another UC facility.

Even Nadja is afraid of Nandor if he finds out?  So a familiar being turned by another vampire is like the worst case of infidelity?

Nandor will not only kill Gizmo but slay them all and then himself?

But he doesn't give off that vibe, even though his past reputation includes being some bloody mass murderer.

Most of the time he has that affect of wanting to be liked so much, like the previous episode where he wanted so bad to be friends with the guy he met at the gym -- the "lengths" he went to to try to be accepted by him.

But for a second, there was menace in his voice as he demanded to know what the hell was this and pulled out one of the hairy frogs.

Again, I predict that it will turn out to be a nothing burger or there will be a reason Nandor doesn't become murderous.  Like Gizmo not turning all the way, either because of his Van Helsing genes or reasons.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, aghst said:

Even Nadja is afraid of Nandor if he finds out?  So a familiar being turned by another vampire is like the worst case of infidelity?

Nandor will not only kill Gizmo but slay them

He is a bit of a drama queen.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2

Aw Nadja secretly loves Gizmo. Like a pet, but still.

Also Colin Robinson is secretly interesting and just hiding it so he can feed? Who would have thought?

All the secrets coming out this episode. Except Nandor is still clueless about Gizmo. I'm still not sure how this whole thing will be resolved, but I'm more and more here for it. Started a bit slow, but with Nadja in on it, this should be interesting, even if only in reaction shots, but probably also in other ways.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, Galileo908 said:

And yeah, do NOT fuck with Nadja. She didn't even need to pull rank that she's the head of the Staten Island Vampiric Council, she fucked up that hospital all on her own. It's sweet that she really does care about Gizmo in her own way.

I kinda think they forgot about that. Not the writers mind you, they are on top of this shit, unlike in a lot of other shows, but the Vampires. They clearly lost interest and then just forgot about it.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:43 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They "put him down". He won't tell anybody about anything anymore.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:51 PM, possibilities said:

Vampire doctors do blood tests for a sprained finger. It's their thing (and they may or may not take a sip here and there).

On 8/10/2023 at 11:03 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

You may be right; but wouldn't there evidence that he was killed by a familiar brought in by Nadja?  Maybe there won't be repercussions, but there should be.

In vampire society? They don't seem to exactly have cops or follow up on things.

Was wondering the same thing. But we didn't see his eyes glow. So he might just be an obnoxious human, aka an actor.

Is this the first time Colin has ever mentioned having a same-sex relationship?

That would probably make him too interesting. Still a bit less usual than being straight. So he keeps it to himself.

But yeah I listened to a Podcast with Harvey Guillén a while ago and he just offhandedly said "well all the [main] Vampires are queer". So I think that was the intention from the beginning. It just didn't come up yet.

Also, Davy Crockett lived between 1786-1836. How does Colin remember that far back if it was a previous incarnation of his? He didn't even know what "his deal" was before he died at the end of Season 3.

He got his memories back by reading his old diaries. I think that kinda overwrote his new childhood memories, so he might not remember that he died and was reborn a few times over. But it was a bit fuzzy.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:37 PM, aghst said:

The first time they enter the UC room, the doctor is telling another vampire that they should put down her familiar, because of quality of life even if he was treated.

You missed the funny part. She only had a cold. The quality of life was going to be bad, because she was *gasp* almost 40. That is why she was put down.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:37 PM, aghst said:

Nandor will not only kill Gizmo but slay them all and then himself?

I don't think Nadja really believes that. If she did she wouldn't have brought Gizmo back home. She still doesn't want to break Nandor's heart, which is why she doesn't say anything.

• Like 3

This episode was hilarious, I had to rewind a few times.

I love that Lazslo is now the go-to scientific expert.  The way he kicked down the railing in the beginning cracked me up for some reason. 

Is this the first time that Colin Robinson cursed?  I can't remember him having a foul mouth before.

Poor Guillermo! The vampires abandoned him on the floor and Nandor and Nadja were arguing about who should help him.  His foot was very gross.

I was surprised to see John Slattery.  When Colin made that Irish slur, I thought he would kick them out.  It seemed like he planned on kidnapping the guys to take them to Brooklyn.  It would have been interesting to see how that turned out.

Nadja is bad-ass and crazy.  She slapped the shit out of Guillermo (twice!) for no reason, which made me laugh like crazy.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

As I said, the ep was very dark (literally) so I didn’t get a good look at the frogs until the very end. Are they transforming into little humanoids?

I had trouble too, especially that first scene where he shows the frogs to Guillermo in a box.

4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Also Colin Robinson is secretly interesting and just hiding it so he can feed? Who would have thought?

I don't think he's secretly interesting. For some reason the black eye made everything he said seem more interesting. And then the whole thing snowballed when he got his foot run over and became a Tik Tok star.

They "put him down". He won't tell anybody about anything anymore.

On first watch I thought they killed the vet for some reason. On second watch all Guillermo did was stab him in the leg with the needle. But the hypo was filled with whatever they were going to use to put down Guillermo so yeah, I guess they did?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't think the vet was a vampire. Did anyone see any fangs?

Oh he was definitely a vampire. Everyone who worked at the clinic was. Only a vampire wouldn't know how long a human even lives. I mean, if you're almost 40, you've got what, a couple more years left? 

I'm assuming the reason the technicians all had cages on their heads is so they wouldn't be tempted to eat the patients. 

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why couldn't they just stake him? Was the vet not a vampire?

I think they were just sticking to the veterinary theme of "putting down" the familiars the way they do with animals. Since that seems to be the vet's diagnosis for all his patients he must have a lot of the kill drug on hand. They wouldn't have stakes on hand because the patients aren't vampires (usually). 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

The vet knew that Guillermo was turning into a vampire, so whatever he was going to use to put him down would be able to put down a partially turned vampire.  Therefore, I think they killed the vet when they used the needle on him.

Loved the scenes where Colin couldn't feed because everything was too interesting or because John Slattery was an energy human.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Oh he was definitely a vampire. Everyone who worked at the clinic was. Only a vampire wouldn't know how long a human even lives. I mean, if you're almost 40, you've got what, a couple more years left? 

Which just reminded me of Nandor a few episodes back saying humans have such short lives. They only live, what? 200, 300 years?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think he's secretly interesting. For some reason the black eye made everything he said seem more interesting. And then the whole thing snowballed when he got his foot run over and became a Tik Tok star.

The things he said to give Nandor back his energy were objectively interesting and that had nothing to do with the black eye. Even the black eye only revealed his interesting side. That Vietnam story for example was also really interesting.

So I think he is secretly interesting and just hiding it.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Which just reminded me of Nandor a few episodes back saying humans have such short lives. They only live, what? 200, 300 years?

Also, once Nadja turned to the camera person and asked "How old are you? 90, 95?"

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Good episode. Quick/Dumb question . . . how long were Nadja and Guillermo together in England? Either way, I liked the chemistry, as well as turning being held in parallel to losing one’s virginity. Gizmo gave his to Derrick. Of course Nadja would be disgusted . . . and she didn’t even know the money used was embezzled from her club. She wouldn’t have waited for Nandor to kill him if she knew that.

Also having good chemistry: Nandor and Colin Robinson, even after the latter noted the former was “as smart as a Russian toilet.” You sensed Nandor actually cared about Colin Robinson. Too bad all the good plans went up in flames.

Did the camera person in John Slattery’s car also bail out? Or am I thinking too hard again? Maybe I should just focus on the Guillefrogs.

Forrest Avenue is indeed on Staten Island, but it’s more of a vein (like Hylan Boulevard) than an attraction. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “Staten Pie-land.” I know Toronto works as a good stand-in, but I’m hoping the show does come over a few times for real.

• Like 4
On 8/10/2023 at 9:44 PM, Galileo908 said:

That's a good point. I was about to say that the gang ARE the powers that be...at least in Staten Island. I almost forgot about the others. Baron and Sire aren't going to like it.

Who knows what the Sire will think about it? He's not exactly the poster boy for vampiric normalcy. And Baron Afarnas seems pretty genial about Guillermo dropping by, he's mellowed a lot since the first season.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:58 AM, Starchild said:

She's OK but I wouldn't miss her.

Yeah, this is the first time ever that a Kristen Schaal character hasn't made me actively want her off my screen immediately, but I don't think she's actually added much to the show this season.

• Like 2
On 8/10/2023 at 11:58 PM, sistermagpie said:

There's even the unspoken joke that he finds *Colin's* accident fascinating and hard to pin down when he's got Nandor in the car.

That was really funny, as was Nadja doing her impression of Lazlo. But I think the funniest part was Lazlo saying something like "fuck my old boots" when he heard Colin Robinson's stories. This might be my favourite episode.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:23 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, this is the first time ever that a Kristen Schaal character hasn't made me actively want her off my screen immediately, but I don't think she's actually added much to the show this season.

I used to find her annoying but awhile ago I watched all four seasons of The Last Man on Earth and I guess I built up a tolerance.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2