Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Alive!

• Start Topic

(edited)

We catch up with the gang in a state of flux, dealing with Miranda’s crumbling marriage, Charlotte’s husband’s crumbling pelvic floor, and Carrie’s struggle whether or not to lean on former Vogue mentor / fashion industry legend Enid Frick (Candice Bergen) for a much-needed book endorsement.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Like 5

I didn't see a topic so I created one. Must have happened the same time you did one @QQQQ.  Sorry for any confusion.

Are the writers sure this is a comedy and not a tragedy?
Miranda is way over her head with Che. And Che likes group sex - with men! Who knew. 
Glad Miranda was uncomfortable back at the old Brady residence.  Steve with his punching bag was funny but I wish he was doing Debbie instead.  I CANNOT believe he even fucking offered to move out of the place so Miranda can be more comfortable.
Brady is still a whiny kid.
Carrie is an idiot. I am glad Enid only wanted her for the money.  And the older guy is Enid's boyfriend.  
Charlotte and Harry's sex issues are a snore. The rich friend's overlooking dessert and sending out the invites - first world rich people's problems.
So they cleared up if Bitsy was married to a gay guy or not. 
The only good thing is seeing Gloria Steinman. And sorry, she couldn't save the show.
I am dealing with 2nd hand embarrassment for this show.

• Like 23

OH FFS, this show. Jotting these notes as I am watching the episode.

Carrie, for all intents and purposes, you ARE retired. You don’t *need* to work. Someone like Enid would absolutely have potential readership that included women who retired younger thanks to self-made affluence, inherited money or a combination of both. Quit whining and avoiding actual work, and then being insulted that you’re viewed as a retiree. You live a rarefied life and so do the women in Enid’s orbit.

Oh and not getting your picture taken near any woman in a walker? Honey, you had HIP SURGERY last season. Stop acting like you are above admitting you’re older. It’s more pathetic to cling to your youth than to embrace being older and (as the show would have once added to everything) fabulous.

Brady, shut up. You are such an insufferable whiner about everything. Even when you have a point, you drown it in obnoxiousness.

Steve looks hot.

I really don't care about the anniversary of the Wexleys.

Don't need to see Charlotte jerking off Harry either.

We will never be rid of Che. Cynthia Nixon isn’t going to let that happen.

Congratulations, MPK. You saw the ‘Kamp Krusty’ episode of The Simpsons (with the parents cheering after the summer camp bus pulls away) too.

Is ‘City Comptroller’ the only political office MPK knows? I’m sure it was meant to be a cute callback to John Slattery but this is just dumb (and not very interesting a callback).

Well, nice that it only took Gloria Steinem for Carrie to realize her ageism. I did like that Enid didn’t want Carrie’s writing, just her money – and got it. Fuck you, Carrie.

• Like 15
  • Applause 9

Unfortunately there is nothing that seems fresh in this series. It needs a boost. I also don’t see it as coming from cameos a la Gloria Steinem, Candace Bergen or upcoming ones with her running into her ex boyfriend or Samantha. It needs writing without a formula or a new perspective. 

• Like 12
(edited)

I'm not sure where to even start with this...

David Eigenberg just gave us all some justice for Steve. He looks incredible - with or without perfect hearing. I wish he hadn't offered to move out. That should be Miranda, who basically wants to live in LA half the year with Che. Ugh.

I just don't like Che, I don't like Miranda and Che together, I now hate MIranda, and I just don't buy the storyline because I watched all 6 seasons and both movies and this plot doesn't track. It never will. It has dragged down an already terrible show into something that actively slaps fans in the face. I'm going to ignore it going forward, because it clouds my ability to properly evaluate the rest of what's on screen. Everytime I enjoy myself for 5 seconds, there's Che again. Was Sara Ramirez always so unlikeable? I didn't like Callie either, but it was very low level. Che just takes a bad show and makes it 50 times more annoying.

So, after an entire year of the lead actresses calling everyone out for ageism (and every other -ism in the book because that's the ONLY reason you might not like this show), they decided to... be as ageist as possible and punch down toward the only group more ripe for ridicule? It makes me think of when Bethenny Frankel screamed at Carole Radziwill, "At least I'm not 60!" Like, I'm sorry, what? Aging is a privilege, you arrogant bitch. Consider the alternative. 

Back to Brady - they have his timeline totally wrong. He should be in college already. The writers can't count, or are retconning again. Beyond annoying. It would be much easier to have him drop out, explaining Miranda's ire. And her hypocrisy. I guess her "woke" ideals are fine for her but no liberal grace for her son. Gap years are a thing, MIranda. Especially in Europe. It's ok to start  college a year later than usual. Buck up, buttercup. I really enjoyed her misrepresenting the parental roles to Carrie. She was just as lackadaisical about Louisa as Steve was last year. And she quit her job, bailed on an internship that would have bolstered her new college degree, and detonated her family for... what again? But Brady wanting a year to regroup is a no-go, and Steve's fault! Sure, Jan. 

Brady gave the one line I'd been dying to have someone say about Miranda. "This isn't her." 

So from that therapy appointment, I gleaned that Miranda has told Brady nothing about Che? She asked Steve for a divorce but they're lying to their kid? She's hiding Che? Or is Che not at all interested in meeting her son? That was all kinds of gross to me. Brady isn't 2, he's in his 20s. Give your kid the dignity of the truth. 

I don't want Steve to punch MIranda in the face, but I would like him to tell the truth and call her out. I can't believe that Carrie and Charlotte tiptoe around her the way they do, cosigning her damaging choices. That's part of why the storyline drags the whole series. Samantha would have questioned her strongly. These two doormats just shrug and move along with their own myopic problems. No one is allowed to challenge each other. 

Charlotte and Harry's storyline is the only one I can stand. At least it's a little bit funny. LTW and her husband are funny but I do not care that much about their home life and their parents.

Seema is still really one-dimensional. 

Oliver Hudson is super hot... I thought they were going to put him and Carrie together. But she'd never go there. She's just gonna go back to her old well, which now only has one option...

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Like 10
  • Applause 11
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Unfortunately there is nothing that seems fresh in this series. It needs a boost. I also don’t see it as coming from cameos a la Gloria Steinem, Candace Bergen or upcoming ones with her running into her ex boyfriend or Samantha. It needs writing without a formula or a new perspective. 

SATC was almost always "fresh" and fun to watch. This series just doesn't have "it" for me. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 17
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I just don't like Che, I don't like Miranda and Che together, I now hate MIranda, and I just don't buy the storyline because I watched all 6 seasons and both movies and this plot doesn't track. It never will. It has dragged down an already terrible show into something that actively slaps fans in the face. I'm going to ignore it going forward, because it clouds my ability to properly evaluate the rest of what's on screen. Everytime I enjoy myself for 5 seconds, there's Che again. Was Sara Ramirez always so unlikeable? I didn't like Callie either, but it was very low level. Che just takes a bad show and makes it 50 times more annoying.

Che and Miranda still have zero chemistry.  And it's not like those actors haven't had chemistry with other people.  When Sara was on Grey's they had chemistry with Jessica Capshaw who played their wife Arizona. Come to think of it they had chemistry with just about everyone they were paired with.  Men and women.   And Cynthia had strong chemistry with Blair Underwood when he played Robert.  But these two characters together is just not working.  

6 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Aging is a privilege, you arrogant bitch. Consider the alternative. 

They say with age comes wisdom but with these women I ain't seeing that.  Well except for Charlotte.  She annoys me the least.

8 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I gleaned that Miranda has told Brady nothing about Che?

So where did she tell him she was when she was in LA?  If he doesn't know when he finds out he better be mad.  You destroy your kid's family the least you can do is explain to them why.  But knowing these writers and their Che love they will have him think it's cool his mom is with someone we are supposed to believe is super funny and cool.

11 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

She's just gonna go back to her old well, which now only has one option...

I've said before if they end up together it is such lazy writing.  What if John Corbett had said no or was unavailable? Was Berger next on their list?  Maybe Carrie's high school boyfriend who was in the looney bin? These writers just can't seem to write something new and imaginative.

• Like 14
(edited)
32 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I've said before if they end up together it is such lazy writing.  What if John Corbett had said no or was unavailable? Was Berger next on their list?  Maybe Carrie's high school boyfriend who was in the looney bin? These writers just can't seem to write something new and imaginative.

I always laugh when I think about the scene where they are having lunch outside and Carrie is thinking how normal everything is... then the guy runs by yelling feces. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

I can’t believe Gloria Steinem signed on for this dreck.  Must’ve thought it was still the groundbreaking female-empowerment old show, but now with older women viewers.  Wrong on all counts.  Also, Billy Dee Williams, nice to see him, but he’s too old to be acting.  Something is clearly wrong there, he sounded like he had a lot of trouble memorizing those lines and getting them out.  Hope he’s ok

Which brings me to the stupid party plot.  NO WAY someone, no matter how busy with work, wouldn’t CHECK PAPERLESS POST REGULARLY and notice there were NO RSVP’s.  You don’t just tell the restaurant 31 people, unless you just have money to burn.  That’s not how any of this works.  Have these writers never held a party?  Or did they just think “hey, wouldn’t it be funny if the guy forgot to send the invites?”  The thing is, if you’re a human being on planet Earth, when you send electronic invites, you check regularly and get a final count.   That’s how you get RSVP’s.  For any party, you need to monitor RSVP’s.  (Unless you wrote “regrets only,”  but you wouldn’t do regrets only for a seated dinner with a head count.).  You need to know how many people are coming.  Why wouldn’t you check?  Also, that particular website, which they mentioned by name, doesn’t just tell you RSVP’s. It tells you which invites were sent and which were opened.  You’d see that none were sent, and none were opened,  if you checked it, even once.   You can even set notifications for when people respond.  So are we supposed to believe that this guy just made an invitation, forgot to hit send, and then just NEVER LOOKED AT THE WEBSITE AGAIN?  And just TOLD THE RESTAURANT 31 PEOPLE?   Why?  Why would he even know the exact number 31 without checking the site?   It would’ve been just as easy, and made so much more sense, to have him notice that he had put the wrong date.  That sort of thing happens.  That is plausible.  That would result in them getting a lot of RSVP’s, so they wouldn’t realize something was wrong, but then nobody showing up.  That’s where I thought they were going.  But, no.   Also, why is “Mother Wexley” (what is this, The Jeffersons?) having an argument from 1978 about whether women should work outside the home?  (Paging Gloria Steinem).  Seriously ridiculous plot.   Not only is it totally dated, but they’ve  been married like 20 years, and she’s been working the whole time, but we are supposed to believe this is the first time it’s come up?  This was the best story idea you could think of for this couple?  So relevant to the concerns of modern successful working parents?   Just, do better.  For Lisa.  

Miranda almost seemed like her old self when she was at home with Brady and Steve, and especially in the elevator with Carrie talking about the therapy.  But WHY WAS THE WHOLE FAMILY ATTENDING THERAPY TOGETHER FOR THREE WEEKS FOR BRADY’S BREAKUP?  Hear me out:  Brady at the beginning of the session said it had been three weeks, and he felt he was over the breakup, and he now wanted to talk about the parents’ situation.  Miranda seemed surprised he even noticed that or wanted to talk about it.  So, are we to believe that they had been in family therapy for three weeks JUST to discuss the breakup?  Why?  Are we to believe Brady had been going to therapy alone?  But Miranda said “we have therapy today” and it seemed like it wasn’t the first time they had all gone together. It seemed like family therapy.  For a teen’s breakup.  Does.  Not. Happen.  This show is just soooo poorly written.  Miranda would’ve scheduled therapy for Brady, alone, because of the breakup.  OR, she would’ve scheduled family therapy for them all, but specifically to talk about the separation/divorce situation.  No way it would not have come up in family therapy for 3 weeks.  No way she would be surprised he wanted to talk about it.

Miranda and Che- still horrible, and I called the whole threesome a mile away.  And Miranda was a total third wheel in that sex scene, neither of them made any effort to attend to her, it was either Che and the Ex doing stuff with Miranda just sort of there, or Miranda and the Ex both doing stuff to Che.  And Miranda is just fine with this, and grateful when Che deigns to come out and sleep on the couch with her?  Hate.

Carrie:  the ageism I assume was meant to be played for laughs, and they did call her out on it eventually, (they waited too long), but it didn’t come across as funny at all.  It seemed like the show was making fun of older women.    Gloria effing Steinem was there, you little brat!  And that’s going to be you someday, sooner than you think!  That old man they were setting her up with didn’t look exactly geriatric, he looked like Ted Danson to me, but I couldn’t see the photo too well.  And to just tell Enid she would never date someone that old?  Who DOES that?  Frankly, SJP doesn’t look much younger than the person who plays Bitsy.  The whole thing was insulting, and I’m younger than SJP!   Obviously MPK thinks old ladies are gross.  Someone in a walker?  Please.  But, hey, we get to see a geriatric dick.  Because that’s not gross.  

Charlotte:  loved the summer camp empty nest plot, that really does happen, parents go nuts when the kids are away.  (I’m vacationing in Europe as we speak).  Didn’t need to know about Harry’s ejaculate, and the sex scenes were gross.  But sometimes the original show was like that, with the graphic weird embarrassing sex stuff and the girls discussing it after.  So it was on brand.  Didn’t really need to see that, though.  The actor who plays Harry is a real trouper.  He must be getting paid a lot to be naked and making those faces.  

Overall, this wasn’t a horrible episode if you can get past all of the above.  

ETA:  Seema!  I forgot to mention Seema!  She is really funny.  And she had no plot this week.  They don’t know what to do with her.  See also, Nya.  Nada for Nya.  This show works with four women, they can’t seem to do more, and maybe that would be too much for the audience.  So they seem to be alternating a main plot for one of the new characters each week.

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I too didn't know that men had kegles too, or needed to do them.

Enid calling Marlon her boyfriend.  better tell him, as apparently he thinks he's the boyfriend for a lot of women.  idk if he would be good for carrie, she is petite.  

I did think Carrie was smart to get a photo with Gloria Steinham, as that may help her book.  i can get her fearing she was being lumped into the over 70 crowd in her 50s, but she is lucky that she doesn't have to keep working (or you know, actually work at all, ever) like most women in their 50s (and 60s).  

the Wexleys acted like this was the first time they sent their kids to summer camp.  and seriously, why don't they have a personal assistant?  they seem rich enough to afford one who could handle these apparently pesky domestic chores like sending out invitations and ordering the cake.  i don't know how you could tell the restaurant 31 people when you didn't check rsvps, even if it was for regrets only.

Charlotte could easily take a part time job at a gallery while the kids are in school.  but maybe she wants to educate herself on latest art stuff.  

Sure, Brady can take a gap year, but it sounded like he didn't want to go to college at all.  and even if it is just a year, what is he going to do for that year?  there was no mention of him getting a job or helping out at Steve's bar (if he even could do that at his age).  i certainly wouldn't mind my kids taking a gap year, but not if all they are going to do is sleep and play video games.  

i agree that it should be Miranda leaving the house, since she is the one likely to only be around part time.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

So many thoughts this episode - so many things I did not need to see!

What I did NOT need or want to see:

The whole Charlotte Harry thing - did NOT need to see that - seriously is that the best thing they could come up with for the two of them? I would have rather they spent the time on the Brady/Hobbes Family therapy. 

Oliver Hudson (sorry forgot his characters name) and Che - sorry do not see them together every and I did NOT want to see them all in the bed together - and I want to scream - in my best Regina George voice Stop trying to make Che happen, Che is not going to happen! They could have done this storyline for Miranda in so many better ways, there was no foundation, no conflict, and Miranda is just whiny and needy.

and that picture Bitsy sent - did not need to see that! 

Other random thoughts.....

Perhaps Carrie's book would get more press if she kept her publicist Samantha and I am betting Samantha would have been able to convince Enid to put a blurb about Carrie's book in her newsletter. 

Brady - seriously, he does not know his mother is with Che? - it seems like he did not even know his mom left his Dad. So what did he think when she went to California at the end of last season it was for a solo vacation?

I am sure I have more..I am so disappointed, last week looked like there was some return to normalcy for the characters and the show was more enjoyable - this week feels like some gigantic steps back.

Except - I did like  Billy Dee Williams - that was a nice surprise! And as far fetched as the Wexley story was, I actually found that to be the most engaging part of the episode for me - but between the invitations this week and the van being forgotten last week maybe they need a personal assistant - they are so busy with work it seems like they would have someone to do that. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I don't want Steve to punch MIranda in the face, but I would like him to tell the truth and call her out. I can't believe that Carrie and Charlotte tiptoe around her the way they do, cosigning her damaging choices. That's part of why the storyline drags the whole series. Samantha would have questioned her strongly. These two doormats just shrug and move along with their own myopic problems. No one is allowed to challenge each other. 

This! On SATC the friends challenged each other. Last season when Charlotte tried to tell Miranda she was making a mistake Miranda stormed off in a huff, so now they do not tell her how unhealthy and toxic her relationship with Che is. Miranda would always call out Carrie - the bullshit bagels, quitting her job and going off to Paris with "the Russian", and all the fights over Big.  I do not get why they do not have someone holding up a mirror to Miranda and asking her if this is what she wants! And yes I agree Brady had the best line when he said "this is not her".  I keep waiting for Miranda to have an epiphany and when I think it will happen it doesn't and she regresses even further. 

Oh and why should Steve leave - Miranda will either be in LA or Che's apartment its not looking like she has any plans to stay in Brooklyn anytime soon. 

And I know I have asked this before - but what does Che see in or want from Miranda? She told Miranda over and over she did not want a traditional relationship. 

• Like 18
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I haven't watched yet but I'd LOVE to have David Duchovny back! 

Oh no, I really wouldn't actually. No telling how they'd tell his story. He's probably still at the Club Med psychiatric hospital all these years. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
14 minutes ago, zamp33 said:

so now they do not tell her how unhealthy and toxic her relationship with Che is.

Because the people writing this dreck don't think it's unhealthy and toxic. And neither does  Miranda Cynthia.

16 minutes ago, zamp33 said:

And I know I have asked this before - but what does Che see in or want from Miranda? She told Miranda over and over she did not want a traditional relationship. 

If Che had stayed in the bedroom with her ex husband and had sex with him even with Miranda saying it was OK she would not  have been OK.  Miranda is trying to live a life she isn't cut out for.  She is so desperate for this to work she is willing to lose herself.  If this was happening to any friend of mine I would have to say something.  It is not fun to watch.  It is beyond cringe.  The only thing Miranda and Che seem to do is attempt to have sex.  I don't know what the show expects us to believe Che and Miranda have built their relationship on.  I understand Miranda was unhappy in her marriage but what she has with Che is not something that is going to last.  

• Like 19
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2

I have so much to say about his episode, so much in fact that I can hardly find the words to convey my thoughts...starting with clothing, the tri corner hat Carrie was wearing to have coffee with Sima, atrocious. 

Che and Miranda seems so forced, a friendship would have been a better way to go with those two, I do not buy for one minute Che's ex would be down to ef with Che and Miranda or Che would want to have sex with her ex especially not knowing how Miranda might feel, even if Miranda was on board Che seemed only interested in the ex. Did the writers forget we remember Samantha and the Hotel Guy's threesome, that did not work either.

I have decided Che's ex was trying to Aiden 2.0, shaggy hair, man jewelry, etc...

Harry and his lack of sperm was educational for me, call me naive but I had no idea that could happen. The stupid thing was they sat in the doctor's office getting medical advice and Charlotte tells Harry and the doctor she can instruct the kegels because she is the expert and Harry didn't want to hear more about it from the doctor. Also, I do not want to see Harry getting jerked off as much as I did not want to Charlotte grab him by the taint in helping him to kegel.

Billy Dee Williams, OMG! He is still very handsome, who didn't hum Diana Ross' song Mahogany when he came on the screen?

Gloria Steinem, what a wonderful get for such a sort of shitty show.  

Last season Steve was a dottering old man who could barely manage to make a sandwich this season he is shirtless, well toned and a demon on the speed bag...which is it going to be writers, pick a lane!

Brady has been going to therapy for 3 weeks after spending a significant amount of time in Europe, announces he does not want to go to college in the fall, does time stand still in Carrieville? Miranda should have asked what his plans would be if college is out, why stop being a parent?

Sending the kids to camp is great, I got the impression this is a summer ritual for all of those parents why were they all acting this is the first time they were sans kids?  In the privacy of Harry and Char's bedroom they could have sex but he could not cum on her tits if the kids were home? Was it a very loud event for them? 

I went to Camp Louise in the Catoctin Mountains every year for the month of August, it was an amazing camp and the campers did the happy dance when the parents left!

1 hour ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Which brings me to the stupid party plot.  NO WAY someone, no matter how busy with work, wouldn’t CHECK PAPERLESS POST REGULARLY and notice there were NO RSVP’s.  You don’t just tell the restaurant 31 people, unless you just have money to burn.  That’s not how any of this works.

Ugh, so dumb. Even if the invites were sent not everyone is going tis going RSVP yes..so now we know they are so busy the cake does not get ordered, the invites were too much of a burden to hit send and then suddenly they announce that Herbert is going to run for comptroller.  Also, they have an anniversary party without the kids, that just felt strange to acknowledge them as the rest of their family in the celebration.

Carrie has forgotten she is sporting a new hip so stop acting like the bloom is still on your rose.  Giving Enid $100,000 because she put her foot in your mouth was stupid, for a writer she does not choose her words very carefully.

I call BS on her wanting to have brunch with Bobby Lee, she was offended by him during their time on the podcast, why would she want to socialize with him?

Why would Bitsy send a dick pic to Carrie, that was so coarse.

I think you all have posted some really good points about this episode, there was a lot to unpack and I understand why everyone's posts (mine included) were so long.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Because the people writing this dreck don't think it's unhealthy and toxic. And neither does  Miranda Cynthia.

If Che had stayed in the bedroom with her ex husband and had sex with him even with Miranda saying it was OK she would not  have been OK.  Miranda is trying to live a life she isn't cut out for.  She is so desperate for this to work she is willing to lose herself.  If this was happening to any friend of mine I would have to say something.  It is not fun to watch.  It is beyond cringe.  The only thing Miranda and Che seem to do is attempt to have sex.  I don't know what the show expects us to believe Che and Miranda have built their relationship on.  I understand Miranda was unhappy in her marriage but what she has with Che is not something that is going to last.  

Maybe this will lead to Miranda entering a healthy LQBTQ+ relationship? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And with someone normal.  Miranda should never have had a relationship with Che, not after they were smoking weed with the underaged Brady.  And smoking weed in an elevator, too. 

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, PRgal said:
7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And with someone normal. 

I wouldn't count on it though. And not this season for sure. PMK seems to think we should all love Che as much as he does.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, PRgal said:

And with someone normal.  Miranda should never have had a relationship with Che, not after they were smoking weed with the underaged Brady.  And smoking weed in an elevator, too. 

And what kind of message does this send? That if you are part of the LGBTQ+ community you right away have to be freaky with threesomes (or whatever) and do drugs? I would much rather if Miranda were going that route that she meets someone who is a regular person and enters an adult relationship with them. Maybe they wanted a person like Che to shake things up? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 7
  • Applause 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Sending the kids to camp is great, I got the impression this is a summer ritual for all of those parents why were they all acting this is the first time they were sans kids?  In the privacy of Harry and Char's bedroom they could have sex but he could not cum on her tits if the kids were home? Was it a very loud event for them? 

I call BS on her wanting to have brunch with Bobby Lee, she was offended by him during their time on the podcast, why would she want to socialize with him?

It

It wasn’t that they couldn’t do it when the kids were home.  The writers were doing that stupid cliche where the wife only offers something other than vanilla because it’s the husband’s birthday.  In this case, Harry says “But it’s not my birthday!” and we are supposed to laugh at what a frigid shrew Charlotte is.  She explains that she is making an exception because the kids just went to camp, so it’s like Hanukkah.  (Because I know sooooo  many women who agree to do special sexual acts only on Hanukkah.  That’s a thing.  (Not). )

The Bobby Lee thing was also just clumsy exposition, in order for her to have an excuse to have the book out at a lunch (because, of course, she would have promised Bobby a signed copy and it would be EXTREMELY significant to her even though we never heard about it before and she hardly ever sees him),  where she would just HAPPEN to run into Candace Bergen so they could talk about the blurb thing and also shoehorn in Candace’s new old lady magazine venture.  (oh, and get in a stupid diarrhea joke while they’re at it, because they also need a reason for Bobby to leave the room so she and Candace can talk.)  I mean, you can SEE the gears cranking with these writers.  They’re working waaaay too hard, and nothing is organic or makes any sense. ( Just have her be having lunch, either by herself or with the girls, and run into Candace that way.  You can still discuss the book she never blurbed.  You don’t need it actually there!)

And I agree, no way Bitsy would have sent a dick pic.  No way a woman that age (or any age) would care so much about dick size, or would be in the habit of taking this type of photo.  No way a man that age would send one.  I think this is another  instance of Gay Male Writer Syndrome (tm).  That was always a criticism of this snow, that the ladies were written like gay men.   I do apologize to any women reading this who are really into dick size, like above all else.  I mean, it’s definitely a factor, but not something I would really brag about to my friends, unless the person was an unusual freak of nature.  Not always a good thing, btw.  And you don’t date someone because of it, you don’t even know the size until you’ve gone out a few times.  In my experience.  (If someone had shown me a picture like that as a way to get me to go out with someone, my first response would be “that’s nice for him, but what does he do for a living?” )

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 10
  • Applause 4
15 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

And I agree, no way Candace would have sent a dick pic.  No way a woman that age (or any age) would care so much about dick size, or would be in the habit of taking this type of photo.  I think this is another  instance of Gay Male Writer Syndrome (tm).  That was always a criticism of this snow, that the ladies were written like gay men.   I do apologize to any women reading this who are really into dick size, like above all else.  I mean, it’s definitely a factor, but not something I would really brag about to my friends, unless the person was an unusual freak of nature.  Not always a good thing, btw.  And you don’t date someone because of it, you don’t even know the size until you’ve gone out a few times.  In my experience.  

I for one was surprised that Carrie did not delete that photo, I know I would have.

• Like 17
14 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And what kind of message does this send? That if you are part of the LGBTQ+ community you right away have to be freaky with threesomes (or whatever) and do drugs? I would much rather if Miranda were going that route that she meets someone who is a regular person and enters an adult relationship with them. Maybe they wanted a person like Che to shake things up? 

I think it would have been better if instead of having Miranda fall in love with Che the comedian/Carrie's woke boss, she could have fallen for someone she met at school or at her internship, and have it build slowly and gradually and have her talk with a therapist and then Steve - that would have been more organic and more in line with Miranda and more accepting to the audience - plus Miranda would not have to lose her sense of self and throw away her career. 

What is happening with Che is not an adult relationship and it is painfully obvious they are in such different places in their lives and view the relationship differently. I really am still hoping Miranda finally is like wtf? What am I doing? What am I getting out of this "relationship"? I mean Miranda starts last season with going back to college and changing careers - now her career is Che's groupie and propping up Che. 

33 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think you all have posted some really good points about this episode, there was a lot to unpack and I understand why everyone's posts (mine included) were so long.

I agree with this! So much to say. I am so glad I found this board - I don't know why I keep watching...

• Like 10
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, zamp33 said:

I think it would have been better if instead of having Miranda fall in love with Che the comedian/Carrie's woke boss, she could have fallen for someone she met at school or at her internship, and have it build slowly and gradually and have her talk with a therapist and then Steve - that would have been more organic and more in line with Miranda and more accepting to the audience - plus Miranda would not have to lose her sense of self and throw away her career. 

What is happening with Che is not an adult relationship and it is painfully obvious they are in such different places in their lives and view the relationship differently. I really am still hoping Miranda finally is like wtf? What am I doing? What am I getting out of this "relationship"? I mean Miranda starts last season with going back to college and changing careers - now her career is Che's groupie and propping up Che. 

I agree with this! So much to say. I am so glad I found this board - I don't know why I keep watching...

That was the original plan for Miranda, she was going to have a friendship with Nya, and gradually develop feelings for her, surprising herself.  But that was Nixed (see what I did there) because Cynthia Nixon thought Che/Sara Ramirez was hotter.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, zamp33 said:

Now that would have been interesting and much more realistic then her behaving like a love sick teenager. 

1 minute ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

That was the original plan for Miranda, she was going to have a friendship with Nya, and gradually develop feelings for her, surprising herself.  But that was Nixed (see what I did there) because Cynthia Nixon thought Che/Sara Ramirez was hotter.  

Well, it isn't and it is destroying the character. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Now that would have been interesting and much more realistic then her behaving like a love sick teenager. 

Ever since I read the interview where CN discusses how she is the reason for the Miranda/Che hookup, and how it was supposed to be Nya, I have felt so sorry for the Nya actress.  She would’ve been so much more integrated with the show, now they don’t know what to do with her.  And Che would’ve been like Bobby Lee, just another quirky person at the podcast we would never see again once it was cancelled.  A minor character.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Cloudly said:

HOW is Carrie a literal (former) sex column writer, yet cannot take the word “vagina” in her mouth or form a coherent thought on sperm? 

I still remember in the OG series that when her book publishers tried to come up with a sexy cover, Carrie was all “oh, I don’t write about sex, I write about relationships!”  You literally outed a politician for having a golden shower fetish, sit your ass down.

I hope Gloria Steinem got a fat paycheck the size of Kim’s for this dreck.  Let’s make you give an inspiring speech but then show you doddering out of the bathroom?

I didn’t mind Charlotte’s storyline with Harry at all.  In the OG series, she says point blank that he’s the best sex she’s ever had.  She already had one significant relationship die due to sexlessness, why *shouldn’t* she work to maintain a decent sex life?

Seema is the new Sassy Gay Best Friend of the series, despite being female and straight.  Doing nothing in an entire episode but popping up and offering sarcastic yet wise life advice.  Watch your back, Anthony, she’s gunning for your spot.

I have so, so many questions about Miranda’s storylines — she’s been with Che for like, easily, months, if not a year?  How is she not divorced yet?  

Like, you need a place to stay, stay with Charlotte or Carrie, don’t go making your nebulous relationship more nebulous by continuing to live with Steve and Brady, even though you are in a very serious relationship with someone else.

So in therapy, it was implied that Miranda and Steve are staying together for the sake of Brady and, I’m sorry, but, literally, LOLWUT!?!  

The dude is 18 (which, retcon), he is not an actual child who can’t handle why mommy and daddy broke up.

Does Che have some sort of fetish for getting off while others are nearby?  First fingerbanging Miranda when Carrie is in the next room, now fingerbanging Miranda with Lyle literally sleeping (or “sleeping”) right next to them.

I eagerly look forward to MPK and Cynthia and Sara’s cycle in the press tour about how this is a daring and progressive representation of a polyamorous relationship when…so many red flags.

“Oh, let’s all get drunk and talk about our previous triad partner and how we all had to push past our boundaries and limits.”  What a total coincidence!  

Oh, my husband accidentally ended up in my bed and we have *no choice* but to sleep next to him because the coach is broken.  Whoopsies!  It’s okay though, he sleeps like a log and we can totally fingerbang right next to him!  Oh wait now, my sleeping-like-a-log husband has now miraculously awakened and is now eager to feel us both up.  But you’re totally cool with this, right?  This somehow comes off as completely coincidental and not a deliberate long con at all?

Enid remains my absolute queen of putting Carrie in her place.  “Oh, honey, you think I wanted you to *write* for us?  I just want your dead husband’s money.”

I’ve been rewatching a lot of ‘Alias’ lately so I’m depressed with how old Victor Garber looks but apparently he was fully 51 in that show (and still hot!) so, I mean, not bad for 73.

Also still loving Bitsy.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Well, it isn't and it is destroying the character. 

And MPK and CN refuse to listen to that valid criticism.  And we are told we are the problem for not liking that storyline.

5 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

because Cynthia Nixon thought Che/Sara Ramirez was hotter.  

CN had a pretty nice career up to this point.  Now people are talking about her as that actress who insisted her character have a totally out of character affair with a character played by someone she was hot for.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Surprised to see people didn't know men could do kegels! Every gender can. If you're not doing them already, start now! 10 a day (though more is better) and your life will change. Not just your sex life, but it helps with incontinence and hygiene as well.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but am I reading correctly that Bitsy is sending someone else's unsolicited dilz pic? Not cool, Bitsy, for the recipient or for the subject of the photo. 

Edit: Just watched the episode and OMG, Charlotte was over-complicating the process. Just squeeze your muscles like you're interrupting your pee flow (for those of you who don't know, which I'm sure is minimal). IDEK what she was trying to do. 

Edited by monagatuna
  • Like 6
45 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Yes! Unsolicited dick pics are not cool, show! Not even when it's a woman sending it to another woman.

How and why did Gloria Steinem agree to do this episode? Even if the writers and showrunner think this is a progressive, positive show about women of a certain age, I don't see GS seeing it that way.

• Like 10

oh, i meant to mention that i thought it was very unprofessional of Harry's doctor to start eating a protein bar or whatever right in front of them while discussing the issue.  i mean really, you can't wait 5 minutes, or just take a small bite and finish it before you start talking?  what were the writers thinking?

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

I didn’t mind Charlotte’s storyline with Harry at all.  In the OG series, she says point blank that he’s the best sex she’s ever had.  She already had one significant relationship die due to sexlessness, why *shouldn’t* she work to maintain a decent sex life?

That’s exactly the problem I had with it. She would!   No way she would’ve been the type to reserve certain acts only for birthdays.  It’s like they just wanted to do the frigid wifey thing for a laugh, and also to show how she would know he had no sperm.  Even though, last season, we were treated to a whole scene of her blowing Harry, with a prosthesis and everything, and a lunchtime discussion about how she still does this for Harry, even though they’ve been married a long time.  But I guess the writers forgot that.  

5 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

oh, i meant to mention that i thought it was very unprofessional of Harry's doctor to start eating a protein bar or whatever right in front of them while discussing the issue.  i mean really, you can't wait 5 minutes, or just take a small bite and finish it before you start talking?  what were the writers thinking?

I think they probably thought it would be funny, just because a doctor wouldn’t do that.  But, while we are on the subject, why was Charlotte there with him?  Is she his mother?  This just seems like something he should have done himself, then reported back.  It really doesn’t concern her, (though of course she thinks it does because as we now know, she just loves semen so much!  Said nobody, ever.). 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, zamp33 said:

Oh and why should Steve leave -

I like to think he had a slight epiphany. Living in that apt has the issue with his son or ex wife being there at any time. 
If he gets a new apt closer to his bar he has more privacy. A place to hop to for hanky panky. Privacy, peace and quiet. He has done all the right things for so long. I understand the show is not about men, but it’s time for him to move on with his life and for Miranda to see just what she left in order to be with Che. Starting with Steve’s revenge body 🔥

• Like 17
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

At this point, it almost feels like the show is fucking with us with Che. “You don’t like Che and their cringey relationship with Miranda that’s made her into a mindless selfish drip? Well, this season have MORE Che and MORE of Miranda having a personality transplant in this awful relationship! And if you have a problem with that, you’re homophobic!” It’s like if George Lucas read all the reviews of Phantom Menace and then decided to build the rest of the franchise around Jar Jar Binks out of spite. 

This validates my decision to not even ATTEMPT watching this season. But then, considering Michael Patrick King is STILL spouting revisionist history as far as Miranda goes, I expect nothing less.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I like to think he had a slight epiphany. Living in that apt has the issue with his son or ex wife being there at any time. 
If he gets a new apt closer to his bar he has more privacy. A place to hop to for hanky panky. Privacy, peace and quiet. He has done all the right things for so long. I understand the show is not about men, but it’s time for him to move on with his life and for Miranda to see just what she left in order to be with Che. Starting with Steve’s revenge body 🔥

I know this show is not about the guys, but for Steve, and his revenge body, I'd gladly make an exception!

Suck it, Miranda.

And, just for posterity, fuck this show.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I assume you’re agreeing with me.  Che sets a bad example by who they are - weed smoking and into weird stuff.  

(edited)
7 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I assume you’re agreeing with me.  Che sets a bad example by who they are - weed smoking and into weird stuff.  

Yes, I am. The show wanted to introduce a non-binary character which is great, but then they had to make them "edgy" and in this case, not in a great and interesting way. I watch Quantum Leap and you have a non-binary character, Ian. I adore them! Funny, edgy (the right way) and very intelligent. Granted QL is a Sci-Fi drama but I feel they got the character right. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, luna1122again said:

I haven't watched yet but I'd LOVE to have David Duchovny back!

2 hours ago, monagatuna said:

I haven't watched the episode yet, but am I reading correctly that Bitsy is sending someone else's unsolicited dilz pic? Not cool, Bitsy, for the recipient or for the subject of the photo. 

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

This validates my decision to not even ATTEMPT watching this season. But then, considering Michael Patrick King is STILL spouting revisionist history as far as Miranda goes, I expect nothing less.

And, just for posterity, fuck this show.

I wish I could go back and not watch!

Last week Carrie  blows up the podcast and leaves her team jobless because she can't say vagina and suppository and this week she utters   some of the most   vulgar expressions   ever heard on cable [or streaming] TV.

How sway?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)

The dick pic was a consent problem too.  And it was also a Chekov’s gun waiting to go off.  Why didn’t she delete it?  Oh, then we couldn’t have had that cringey joke. Just like last week when we knew that phone would ring during the TV taping. Ugh. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 9
4 hours ago, zamp33 said:

The whole Charlotte Harry thing - did NOT need to see that - seriously is that the best thing they could come up with for the two of them? I would have rather they spent the time on the Brady/Hobbes Family therapy. 

Oliver Hudson (sorry forgot his characters name) and Che - sorry do not see them together every and I did NOT want to see them all in the bed together - and I want to scream - in my best Regina George voice Stop trying to make Che happen, Che is not going to happen! They could have done this storyline for Miranda in so many better ways, there was no foundation, no conflict, and Miranda is just whiny and needy.

3 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

It wasn’t that they couldn’t do it when the kids were home.  The writers were doing that stupid cliche where the wife only offers something other than vanilla because it’s the husband’s birthday.  In this case, Harry says “But it’s not my birthday!” and we are supposed to laugh at what a frigid shrew Charlotte is.  She explains that she is making an exception because the kids just went to camp, so it’s like Hanukkah.  (Because I know sooooo  many women who agree to do special sexual acts only on Hanukkah.  That’s a thing.  (Not). )

Charlotte was always prissy on the streets and a freak in the sheets.  Remember when she and Trey were having sex problems and she met her sorority sisters and basically bitched how she just wanted to fuck and be fucked really bad?  

But they did the same thing with Harry and Charlotte last year when they were in the bathroom and she was going to blow him and it was Lily or Rock who opened the door and interrupted them.  I remember there was a stunt penis involved. 

I honestly thought that Che and or their husband (whatever his name is) was going to initiate a 4some when they were all sitting on the bed and discussing their sex lives.  I bet Miranda would have been all for it and Carrie looking at her like she lost her freaking mind. 

Wasn't it Carrie who was saying about aging gracefully when Samantha had a big birthday in one of those 2 movies and she turned what 60?!  So now Carrie is an ageist? And IMHO - Carrie looks closer to 60 than 50. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

At this point, it almost feels like the show is fucking with us with Che. “You don’t like Che and their cringey relationship with Miranda that’s made her into a mindless selfish drip? Well, this season have MORE Che and MORE of Miranda having a personality transplant in this awful relationship! And if you have a problem with that, you’re homophobic!” It’s like if George Lucas read all the reviews of Phantom Menace and then decided to build the rest of the franchise around Jar Jar Binks out of spite. 

My best friend said they are trolling us and I have to agree.  They don't care about the quality of the show.  They just want to write this garbage and say oh you don’t like it well then you guys are all a bunch of bigots.

• Like 12
(edited)

The one person I MOST wanted to NOT come back was Enid. 

I cannot stand Candace Bergen in anything, never have.  Hated Murphy Brown & everything she's ever done. 

Her characters are all horrible shrews and here she is, back again carrying on her tradition.  I imagine she's the same in real life. 

And if I was Steve, I'd damn sure get OUT of that drab, tacky family home that screams "Blue Collar" and into a cool, bachelor apartment.  With a bed his skanky ex never slept on and everything new to go with a new life.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Applause 3
23 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

The one person I MOST wanted to NOT come back was Enid. 

I cannot stand Candace Bergen in anything, never have.  Hated Murphy Brown & everything she's ever done. 

Her characters are all horrible shrews and here she is, back again carrying on her tradition.  I imagine she's the same in real life. 

And if I was Steve, I'd damn sure get OUT of that drab, tacky family home that screams "Blue Collar" and into a cool, bachelor apartment.  With a bed his skanky ex never slept on and everything new to go with a new life.  

I adore Candace Bergen. Watch her in The Wind and the Lion or Soldier Blue. She is amazing. 

• Like 8