Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

It sounds so bloody depressing. Oh hey yeah, let's watch a marriage fall apart. Woo hoo! Why are all the films so depressing? I remember when Room was winning all the awards. Fuck that. No I don't want to watch this unbelievably depressing kidnap movie. 

Marriage Story was sad but it had more comedy in it then I thought it would. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, topanga said:

To me, he seemed socially awkward and uncomfortable, and it comes across as phony and deliberately weird. Just my opinion, though. 

This crossed my mind, too.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I once saw Joaquin Phoenix at a film premiere and he was more fucked up than just about anyone I've ever seen.  He couldn't stand up by himself, so one of his co-stars and the director held him up.  The one thing that I noticed is that it seemed that all the people connected with the film were VERY concerned about him and seemed to care about him a great deal.  I remember feeling angry at him because he had watched his beautiful brother die of a drug overdose in a parking lot.  I hope he's clean for his sake and for all the people who really seem to love him.

River 😞 

This is still what plays through my head when I think of River.

1917 winning has really messed up the Irishman and Marriage Story's chances for next month.

Well that's time.  See you at the SAGs!  Good bye forever Ricky Gervais, unless the HFPA forgets to put that in writing again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I actually thought it was solid telecast, until the last bits when Joaquin made things weird and uncomfortable, and then Renee almost put me to sleep.  But there has been ones that had been much worse, so yay?  It seem like Ricky just disappeared for over half of it.

Favorite part was probably Tom Hanks' speech, and the wins for Brad Pitt, Olivia Colman, and Awkwafina.  But I suspect that Joaquin's speech is going to be the one the internet and social media talk about.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

1917 winning has really messed up the Irishman and Marriage Story's chances for next month.

Well that's time.  See you at the SAGs!  Good bye forever Ricky Gervais, unless the HFPA forgets to put that in writing again.

Not too sure, I know 1917 is a serious contender, but no one really takes the GGs/HFPA as a good precursor to the Oscars. I mean, I don't think anyone saw Roma dominating the Oscars (at least in terms of nominations) when it barely made a blip in GGs and SAGs. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

This sounds really odd, but every time I see Joaquin, I get sad that his brother River isn't around to see his success. 

Don't think it's weird, I think about it a lot especially lately with Joker's success.

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Wait! We’ve got SAG next week! 

Isn't it Critics' Choice, then SAG? Or do I have that mixed up?

• Love 2