Type keyword(s) to search

What An Idiot: Stupid TV Moments

• Start Topic

On 10/9/2023 at 8:33 AM, Madding crowd said:

It wasn’t a family sitcom though, it was about the friends and I think the show showed enough of Ross with Ben to make me think he loved his son. Emma was always with Rachel’s mom in the last season but I don’t think we were supposed to assume her parents didn’t love her-just that the show was about adults.

Even were I to give this spin the benefit of the doubt, I would  STILL think Ross is an idiot for preferring to spend time with these fellow so-called 'friends' to his own son.

• Like 5

Here’s another “Ross is an idiot” moment: thinking it would be a good idea to use Phoebe’s street threats to protect his lunch from getting stolen again and get respect from his coworkers. And blowing up at his boss for being the one that ate HIS SANDWICH. And he’s shocked that they put him on administrative leave?! He’s lucky he didn’t get fired.

And then there’s Wesley on Angel who, instead of telling his damn friends about the prophecy that Angel will kill his son, consults Holtz and Justine who (surprise surprise) cut his throat after kidnapping the baby and whisk him off to a hell dimension. All because Wesley was jealous of Fred and Gunn and wanted to prove he could be the big hero on his own?! And then he had the nerve to be shocked that everyone is mad at him for his lies and betrayal?!

Wes, word of advice: you’re an idiot.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Even were I to give this spin the benefit of the doubt, I would  STILL think Ross is an idiot for preferring to spend time with these fellow so-called 'friends' to his own son.

It’s not a spin to say Friends was about the six friends and not a family sitcom, it’s the entire premise of the show. We didn’t see every moment of these characters lives, Ross didn’t have primary custody of Ben and there was plenty of mention of Ross having to pick up Ben or leaving to get Ben or scenes of him with Ben. Rachel did have primary custody of Emma but the baby was rarely seen. Are we supposed to think she was a bad mother? I think she spent time with Emma but the show was focused on friendship not parenthood.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Maybe, but as a semi-regular viewer of the show, I definitely didn't want to spend time with Ross' son because the kid was annoying as hell in the few episodes which featured him after he was a baby.  Methinks the producers/writers knew their audience.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Madding crowd said:
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

It’s not a spin to say Friends was about the six friends and not a family sitcom, it’s the entire premise of the show. We didn’t see every moment of these characters lives, Ross didn’t have primary custody of Ben and there was plenty of mention of Ross having to pick up Ben or leaving to get Ben or scenes of him with Ben. Rachel did have primary custody of Emma but the baby was rarely seen. Are we supposed to think she was a bad mother? I think she spent time with Emma but the show was focused on friendship not parenthood.

I don't think we know that Ross preferred to hang out with the other five. My assumption is that we're seeing Ross during Ben's mom's designated time with him, not that Ross is avoiding him when he's supposed to be seeing him. We also barely see Ross going to work, but that doesn't mean he doesn't go every day.

• Like 11
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe, but as a semi-regular viewer of the show, I definitely didn't want to spend time with Ross' son because the kid was annoying as hell in the few episodes which featured him after he was a baby.  Methinks the producers/writers knew their audience.

IMO, the  main flaw in that theory is that everyone on that show (sadly, including Phoebe by the end) 'was annoying as hell'.

However, at least a parent has the opportunity via raising their offspring to change their child's personality for the better. Alas, Ross blew that chance to spend his time with his annoying same age peers who only seemed to change for the worse- another indication of his stupidity!

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Blergh said:

I always thought the show forgot about Ben. I was surprised Ross reminded his parents about Ben when they called Emma his first grandchild.

• Like 4
On 10/11/2023 at 1:23 PM, Spartan Girl said:

And then there’s Wesley on Angel who, instead of telling his damn friends about the prophecy that Angel will kill his son, consults Holtz and Justine who (surprise surprise) cut his throat after kidnapping the baby and whisk him off to a hell dimension. All because Wesley was jealous of Fred and Gunn and wanted to prove he could be the big hero on his own?! And then he had the nerve to be shocked that everyone is mad at him for his lies and betrayal?!

Wes, word of advice: you’re an idiot.

That whole story was sad to watch. If he just told Angel or at least the other ones, they could have come up with some solution. I put it into the plot-dictated stupidity pile, because Wesley was otherwise pretty smart. 

18 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't think we know that Ross preferred to hang out with the other five. My assumption is that we're seeing Ross during Ben's mom's designated time with him, not that Ross is avoiding him when he's supposed to be seeing him. We also barely see Ross going to work, but that doesn't mean he doesn't go every day.

Isn't that how TV works? We see what is relevant to the story, depending on if the show is focused on dating, family or work.

• Like 9
17 hours ago, Blergh said:

IMO, the  main flaw in that theory is that everyone on that show (sadly, including Phoebe by the end) 'was annoying as hell'.

However, at least a parent has the opportunity via raising their offspring to change their child's personality for the better. Alas, Ross blew that chance to spend his time with his annoying same age peers who only seemed to change for the worse- another indication of his stupidity!

I didn't find them all annoying.  And this wasn't a show about parents and their kids.  It was about adult friends interacting.  Hell, I didn't really want to see these people at work all that much either.  Plus, we were seeing Ross at times when Ben was with his mother.  Presumably Ross was allowed to spend his non-custodial time doing things other than parenting.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

That whole story was sad to watch. If he just told Angel or at least the other ones, they could have come up with some solution. I put it into the plot-dictated stupidity pile, because Wesley was otherwise pretty smart. 

Not always. Kidnapping Connor wasn’t the only stupid thing he did, but it’s the one he never really apologized for, and that always irked me.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't find them all annoying. 

Note, that I said 'IMO' (in my opinion) that I found them all annoying not that everyone in the world found them annoying. To each one's own.

Moving on. I also thought  Oliver Douglas of Green Acres (1965-1971)was an idiot for buying the Old Haney Place without even seeing it first- especially considering the fact that Oliver was a lawyer!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I also thought  Oliver Douglas of Green Acres (1965-1971)was an idiot for buying the Old Haney Place without even seeing it first

Not to mention how ramshackle it was!  He STILL loved it despite the condition it was in or the constant repairs.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Moving on. I also thought  Oliver Douglas of Green Acres (1965-1971)was an idiot for buying the Old Haney Place without even seeing it first- especially considering the fact that Oliver was a lawyer!

Never watched that show, but it seems that a lot of people on tv and movies buy houses that they never saw. Or sometimes move their family to a house that they inherited from a (usually distant) family member without having ever seen the house or having not seen it for decades. Often strange supernatural things will happen at that house which is why you could buy it so cheap.

• Like 4
On 10/13/2023 at 12:48 AM, Zella said:

On paper, Oliver is more logical than anyone else on the show, but really he's crazy as hell too. LOL I love when he's shown farming in a suit and/or sweater vest. 

While Lisa and everyone else in Hooterville let their illogical logic rule, Oliver constantly kept trying to fit the illogical round holes into his square pegs! For example, just because the USDA manual stated that plants needed to be X number of inches apart, he made sure the POTS each plant had been planted in were that number of inches apart!  LOL

• LOL 5
21 hours ago, Blergh said:

While Lisa and everyone else in Hooterville let their illogical logic rule, Oliver constantly kept trying to fit the illogical round holes into his square pegs! For example, just because the USDA manual stated that plants needed to be X number of inches apart, he made sure the POTS each plant had been planted in were that number of inches apart!  LOL

I always thought Lisa hoped that would get Oliver to come to his senses and move back to New York.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always thought Lisa hoped that would get Oliver to come to his senses and move back to New York.

It was interesting that despite Lisa's constant claims to want to return to New York, it was SHE (the furr-ihn Hungarian pampered princess )  who adjusted to life on the farm AND became a pillar of the community in Hooterville - via embracing the illogical logic while Oliver (the staunch US-American patriot lawyer) who was constantly frustrated by unreal realities of his new home and community  who kept  trying to have his logic somehow compel his new community to fit his own idealized vision!  Of course, it helped  that Lisa that  treated all her neighbors like visiting dignitaries while Oliver never stopped  being  patronizing to them!  Yet, of course, despite their bedroom wardrobe forever staying unfinished and exposed to the elements, not only did  Lisa often  hold court in their sumptuous four-poster bed but she and Oliver's respective fashionista and suit outfits somehow were never were less than immaculate!

Overall, if not for Lisa's presence somehow protecting Oliver from his own hubris, Oliver would have wound up broker than broke and in a padded cell in no time flat! Yep, Oliver's an idiot but he'd be even more lost without his illogical logic better half!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

Veronica Mars, "The Wrath of Con". 

Flashbacks show Veronica's late friend Lilly encouraging Veronica to try a flashier look for the school dance, like "strapless red satin" instead of the demure pink dress Veronica selected. When they go to the school dance with their dates, they instead opt to go to the beach to play "Never Have I Ever" (or something) and Veronica, then the shrinking violet, says, "I've never gone skinny-dipping!"

The episode ends in the present day, Veronica now indeed wearing a strapless red satin dress to the school dance, but on the way there, she makes her friends stop at that same beach... so she can go skinny dipping.

Not after the dance, mind you. Before the dance.

Um, Veronica, honey? I get that you're honoring your deceased friend by taking chances and living life to the fullest and all that crap, but why in every circle of hell did you buy a new dress, go through the trouble of putting on make-up and getting your hair done (neither of which is a cheap or quick undertaking) just to take a damn swim?? You probably have fucking seaweed in your hair, your makeup is ruined, your dress is all sandy and dirty... is there a reason this couldn't have waited?!?! 

Trivial, I know, but it's always bugged me.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 10/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, Blergh said:

The Brady Bunch (1969-1974)

I hope they were satisfied keeping their bladders on standby the next four years until Greg moved out instead of just letting their folks move into a house with one bathroom for each  gender of sibs!

I recently watched the episode where Jan buys the hideous wig. She's in the bathroom trying it on when Marcia and Cindy come up needing something. Jan says she's in there and they proceed to bang on the door and tell at her to come out. They eventually barge in. I'm just thinking why don't you tell them you're on the toilet Jan? Lol I mean I know we never saw one, but surely it was there. I think she told them she'd be a minute, but they still insisted she come out. That was just annoying on their part. It's a wonder if anyone was able to go in private up there. Ha

A little later Mike comes up to get her because Carol needs her. She doesn't even tell him that she needs a minute. At least he was nice enough to call her from their bedroom door and wait a second. She thinks she has to go down that instant, so she just puts a towel on her head which the boys rip off in the next scene discovering the wig. Then she gets laughed at. There I was thinking, why don't you just take it off really quickly and hide it somewhere before you go downstairs?? It seemed like Mike was just gonna let her know and leave. Just tell him "okay I'll be right down", and stash it under your bed or something. 

On 10/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, Blergh said:

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Messed it up
  • Like 4

I’m on S8 of my ER watch and I nominate Luka for telling Abby she isn’t that pretty and isn’t that special (which…true…but still), and then them breaking up. And then four years later Abby going crawling back to him and getting knocked up and deciding to keep the baby even though she knows she shouldn’t be a mother. Then they decided they should get married on top of having a baby in their unstable, miserable lives where it seems like they can barely stand each other, much less enough to have a child and get married. Poor kid. He had no chance of a normal life in a stable and loving home. 

Why would you crawl back to a guy who said something so shitty to you in the first place? Is the sex that incredible that you can’t get it anywhere else in all of Chicago? And why would someone who is so scared of being pregnant constantly have unprotected sex? 

If this were the Am I The Asshole subreddit, my conclusion would be ESH (Everybody Sucks Here). 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
On 11/5/2023 at 7:06 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I’m on S8 of my ER watch and I nominate Luka for telling Abby she isn’t that pretty and isn’t that special (which…true…but still), and then them breaking up. And then four years later Abby going crawling back to him and getting knocked up and deciding to keep the baby even though she knows she shouldn’t be a mother. Then they decided they should get married on top of having a baby in their unstable, miserable lives where it seems like they can barely stand each other, much less enough to have a child and get married. Poor kid. He had no chance of a normal life in a stable and loving home. 

Why would you crawl back to a guy who said something so shitty to you in the first place? Is the sex that incredible that you can’t get it anywhere else in all of Chicago? And why would someone who is so scared of being pregnant constantly have unprotected sex? 

If this were the Am I The Asshole subreddit, my conclusion would be ESH (Everybody Sucks Here). 

You forgot the part where Luka beats a guy to death while on his first date with Abby.  And she is not only not repulsed by this, she actually pursues him and falls into bed with him.    Only on TV would manslaughter be an aphrodisiac.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
15 minutes ago, Notabug said:

You forgot the part where Luka beats a guy to death while on his first date with Abby.  And she is not only not repulsed by this, she actually pursues him and falls into bed with him.    Only on TV would manslaughter be an aphrodisiac.

Movies too. Padme Amidala went for Anakin even after he confessed to killing a heap of Tuskens.

• Like 5
On 9/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Re: Gilligan's Island

I've always liked the theory that the castaways actually died during the storm and the island is Hell (or maybe just Purgatory).

Well, if you can think of anything worse than being stuck with Gilligan for all eternity, I'd like to hear it!

Isn’t that the prenise of ‘lost’, sorta? Mr Howell would get to me. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
49 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

In fairness, they did kill his mother.

Yes, I understand why Anakin killed the Tuskens. But I don't quite see why Padme was still so attracted to him. Maybe she felt that mass murder was justified.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
On 12/27/2023 at 7:12 AM, Anduin said:

Yes, I understand why Anakin killed the Tuskens. But I don't quite see why Padme was still so attracted to him. Maybe she felt that mass murder was justified.

I don't see Padme being okay with mass murder. I can see her marrying him if she didn't know about it.

I really want to know why no one did do anything to free Anakin's mother from slavery. Anakin saved Naboo and no one not even Padme did anything to free her? The Jedi were worried about his attachments to his mother hey maybe freeing her from slavery might help that situation. Padme and the Jedi are always helping everyone else in the galaxy. But then leave Shmi in slavery (plus everyone else there in slaved). 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't see Padme being okay with mass murder. I can see her marrying him if she didn't know about it.

I really want to know why no one did do anything to free Anakin's mother from slavery. Anakin saved Naboo and no one not even Padme did anything to free her? The Jedi were worried about his attachments to his mother hey maybe freeing her from slavery might help that situation. Padme and the Jedi are always helping everyone else in the galaxy. But then leave Shmi in slavery (plus everyone else there in slaved). 

All I can say is, Jedi are supposed to be free of attachments. The attitude was that Anakin should ignore his past life. But I agree, it doesn't excuse Padme. She could have done something, especially since Naboo and Tatooine are pretty close.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

In addition to making no attempt to free Shmi even after returning to Naboo with her huge incomes from queenship and the Senate [and never even claimed to have tried but failed to do so (e.g. precious riches sent from Naboo for that purpose had been robbed by Tatooine bandits)]and essentially concocting excuses for Anakin after he fessed to her butchering even the innocents among the Tuskens [not just the marauding adult murderous kidnappers of Shmi], IMO what really sealed Padme's idiocy and having the judgment of pea in a henhouse had to be Padme's reaction to Anakin's slaughtering the Jedi youths and babies who'd sought his protection [ as opposed to adult combatants]: she wanted him to run away with her back to Naboo to raise their child together.

So she thought that someone she knew had  committed mass murders of  children and even babies not only deserved zero punishments or consequences whatsoever for having done the above, but  it seemed she thought that they instantly could just plunge into parenthood and he'd be an ideal co-parent to their offspring on her planet (with zero chance of any of his victims' loved ones,etc. seeking him out). Yeah, it seemed she embodied the old 'I don't care how he atrocious  he has been  to other folks because he thinks I'm SPECIAL and would never even  think to so much as raise a hand to me or our own family' solipsistic  idiocy! REALLY?

Even his reaction to her plea seemed, at best, that he was annoyed by that suggested option like he'd just felt having stepped on a slug rather than wanting to lovingly embrace her and become the Galactic  Daddy Walton- all of this BEFORE he realized that Obi Wan was with her! NOT that she deserved any violence on his part whatsoever but  look how burying her head in the sand to be lovey dovey and wanting to  play house worked out for her!

All the above are among the reasons I could only see the first three eps once and couldn't bother attempting to watch the Abrams Add Ons -no matter how often all the above got replayed on TV.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
41 minutes ago, Blergh said:

In addition to making no attempt to free Shmi even after returning to Naboo with her huge incomes from queenship and the Senate and essentially concocting excuses for Anakin after he fessed to her butchering even the innocents among the Tuskens, IMO what really sealed Padme's idiocy and having the judgment of pea in a henhouse had to be Padme's reaction to Anakin's slaughtering the Jedi youths and babies who'd sought his protection [ as opposed to adult combatants]: she wanted him to run away to her back to Naboo to raise their child together.

So she thought that someone she knew had  committed mass murders of  children and even babies not only deserved zero punishments or consequences whatsoever for having done the above, but  it seemed she thought that they instantly could just plunge into parenthood and he'd be an ideal co-parent to their offspring on her planet (with zero chance of any of his victims' loved ones,etc. seeking him out). Yeah, it seemed she embodied the old 'I don't care how he atrocious  he has been  to other people because he thinks I'm SPECIAL and would never think so much as raise a hand to me or our own family' solipsistic  idiocy! REALLY?

Even his reaction to her plea seemed, at best, that he was annoyed by that suggested option rather than wanting to lovingly embrace her and become the Galactic  Daddy Walton- all of this BEFORE he realized that Obi Wan was with her! NOT that she deserved any violence on his part whatsoever but  look how burying her head in the sand to be lovey dovey and wanting to  play house worked out for her!

That was shit writing even for Lucas. They really did Padme dirty.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 12/29/2023 at 5:56 AM, Spartan Girl said:

That was shit writing even for Lucas. They really did Padme dirty.

Oh, I totally agree - and he  gave Padme one of the most pathetic endings in the whole saga with her not even telling her newborns that she loved them or bidding them farewell [never mind that she didn't look even a trimester pregnant with a singleton before the birth].

Alas, though, any character's deeds or actions depicted are the character's themselves- regardless of how rottenly their authors had sabotaged them.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
(edited)
On 9/4/2023 at 11:31 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Friends: Carol inviting both Susan AND Ross to be at the sonogram was a stupid and insensitive move on her part. Expecting your ex to stay in the same room with the person you cheated on and left him for is A LOT to ask. Especially when Susan could barely bring herself to be civil to Ross.

Come to think of it—and this might be slut-shaming, but screw it—it was stupid that Carol let herself get pregnant in the first place. When you’re cheating on your husband and planning to leave him, it’s prudent to at least make sure your birth control is foolproof (or you know, not sleep with two people at the same time) so you don’t wind up bringing a child into your fucked-up situation in the first place! 

I always thought Carol deliberately got pregnant. She and Susan planned to use Ross as a sperm donor and quite stupidly and cruelly counted on him not wanting to be a father which of course backfired.

I think that if the show aired today, this is one of the storylines that would hit completely different. And would need to be treated very differently.

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I always thought Carol deliberately got pregnant. She and Susan planned to use Ross as a sperm donor and quite stupidly and cruelly counted on him not wanting to be a father which of course backfired.

I think that if the show aired today, this is one of the storylines that would hit completely different. And would need to be treated very differently.

Possibly but I can't help but think that between Ross's seeming to forget about  Ben in just a few years,etc. it wound up backfiring on all four of them but the audience wasn't supposed to think of that!

I also think it's possible that Carol would have eventually seen Susan as somewhat toxic and controlling.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
(edited)

The latest SVU episode where Olivia and the squad stood by and did nothing while masked group of team literally broke in and stole evidence, with the excuse being the teenagers were “unarmed” and they didn’t want the scrutiny was a new low of stupidity.

I wish I was making this up. They were breaking glass and throwing chairs, and Liv was screaming “Don’t shoot, they’re just kids!” Nobody even used a taser.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
33 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

The latest SVU episode where Olivia and the squad stood by and did nothing while masked group of team literally broke in and stole evidence, with the excuse being the teenagers were “unarmed” and they didn’t want the scrutiny was a new low of stupidity.

I wish I was making this up. They were breaking glass and throwing chairs, and Liv was screaming “Don’t shoot, they’re just kids!” Nobody even used a taser.

Forgive my willful ignorance [since I've long since quit bothering with the show] but what kind of evidence did these teens steal when they broke in?

One thing [I think] is for sure: had any thieves attempted to steal rape kits from an a police evidence storage room, Olivia would have torn them apart herself with her bare hands- regardless of where they fell agewise between Pampers and Depends!

47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't know if it is enough for me to check out the episode but it is certainly enough to head over the the SVU forum when I finish here.

I wonder how Detective Mac Taylor would react to a mob hitting his lab?

(edited)

I've watched a lot of SVU over the years--though not anything recent--and I always was mystified at how both Stabler and Benson still had jobs. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
5 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't know if it is enough for me to check out the episode but it is certainly enough to head over the the SVU forum when I finish here.

I wonder how Detective Mac Taylor would react to a mob hitting his lab?

IIRC, the season 3 finale had that exact plot, only it was an armed gang trying to retrieve evidence from a drugs bust and Mac went all John McClane on their asses.

• Useful 4

The last episode I watched of Law and Order SVU was when the Captain Cregon was suspended for all the illegal crap the squad had done. Olivia and Stabler were shocked that he was suspended. They should have been shocked none of them were in jail for the many crimes they committed. 

• Applause 5

Re Everybody Loves Raymond (1996-2005), one has to wonder why Debra didn't make it a condition of marriage that they'd move AWAY from Raymond Barone's  annoying father Frank and his smothering,manipulative mother Marie. .

Yeah, I know there wouldn't have been much if any kind of a sitcom without these two antagonists making trouble for the younger Barones but still. .. .

• Like 6

They actually had an episode that flashed back to how that setup came to be. It was actually Debra's idea to move across the street from them, because their house was in a good neighborhood and Frank was a realtor, so they would get a good deal, and it had enough room for them and their growing family. 

Ray was actually the one who kept saying, "No, moving across the street is a bad idea..." but Debra still had a friendlier interaction with his parents at the time and she shrugged off his concerns. 

One of those decisions that sounded good at the time, but in hindsight, Debra definitely was kicking herself about. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

They actually had an episode that flashed back to how that setup came to be. It was actually Debra's idea to move across the street from them, because their house was in a good neighborhood and Frank was a realtor, so they would get a good deal, and it had enough room for them and their growing family. 

Ray was actually the one who kept saying, "No, moving across the street is a bad idea..." but Debra still had a friendlier interaction with his parents at the time and she shrugged off his concerns. 

One of those decisions that sounded good at the time, but in hindsight, Debra definitely was kicking herself about. 

I love Ray pulling out the map of the greater tri-state area to show Debra where they needed to look for housing.  "This is the hot zone" meaning anywhere that Marie could deliver a lasagna and it would still be hot was out of the question.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

Logan in Gilmore Girls thinking that it was a good idea to ask Rory to marry him during a party at her grandparents house. I like the guy, overall, but that was dumb move.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Logan in Gilmore Girls thinking that it was a good idea to ask Rory to marry him during a party at her grandparents house. I like the guy, overall, but that was dumb move.

The whole proposal and aftermath was a dumb move. Rory clearly was not ready for marriage. Logan sprung the proposal on her and moving to San Francisco where he found a job and she could work at one of the San Francisco newspapers. He didn't ask her if she wanted to move to San Francisco. Rory doesn't want to marry but keep dating. Which makes sense. She just finished college and ready to see where her career took her.  Logan doesn't want to keep dating. He wants marriage or nothing. Now that's an even crappier move because he told her a couple episodes before not to worry about factoring her in when she was offered a job at a Providence newspaper they would make it work. Then he completely blindsides her with the proposal and life in San Francisco and their done if she says no. 

• Like 4
(edited)

The Tudors: You could already consider the real Katherine Howard an idiot just for cheating on Henry VIII knowing full well what happened to her predecessor, but at least the real one had the excuse that Henry was an old fat man by this point and she was a young girl basically served up to him on a silver platter by her family, so yeah marriage to him wasn’t exactly pleasant.

But thanks to the showrunners and/or Jonathan Rhys-Meyers refusing to make Henry fat and gross, Katherine just comes off as an even bigger idiot for cheating so gleefully and thinking she could get away with it. The only flimsy excuse she has for sympathy is maybe realizing that she’s nothing more than a baby-making machine to Henry and was cheating on her with Anne of Cleves** but that doesn’t really help.

In fairness, she’s not the only stupid one in this storyline. Thomas Culpepper was a predator and a rapist who just wanted Katherine as another notch in his belt despite knowing how risky it would be. And when finally got, he denies it, but is dumb enough to admit to “intending to do ill with the Queen” as if that would actually save him instead of sealing his doom.

But perhaps the biggest idiot of all was Francis Dereham, who thought it would be a bright idea to blackmail Katherine into taking him into her staff, then basically get drunk and sexually harass her and her maids and stupidly brag about how close he was to the Queen and how close they’d be after the king was dead. How could he not think that would come back to bite him in the ass?! What a MORON.

**This of course was bullshit since again real Henry was fat and gross, which was why Anne of Cleves probably agreed to the divorce so quickly and no doubt thanked God every night that she didn’t have to share a bed with him anymore!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

**This of course was bullshit since again real Henry was fat and gross, which was why Anne of Cleves probably agreed to the divorce so quickly and no doubt thanked God every night that she didn’t have to share a bed with him anymore!

Yeah, Anne of Cleves got to walk away with her head, money and estates and no husband to put up with. Pretty great deal for her.

• Like 10
(edited)
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, Anne of Cleves got to walk away with her head, money and estates and no husband to put up with. Pretty great deal for her.

Yep, going from Henry's dear wife to his 'dear sister' as he called her was a really good gig.  This especially since Anne's brother, the Duke who arranged her marriage to Henry, was well known as a creep and probably would've locked her in the dungeon as spoiled goods had she been sent home instead of being allowed to live in luxury in England.

The Tudors really suffered from the miscasting of Henry as well as their reluctance to show his tremendous physical deterioration in the last years of his life.  Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was way too short to play the 6'2" or better king.  Multiple sources reported Henry was much taller than most men of his time.  Henry Cavill, playing Henry's best friend, Charles Brandon, towered over him.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 8

Mr. Fitch and I loved watching The Tudors back in the day, but in retrospect... it was really a stupid show. The ludicrous miscasting left and right (Joss Stone as Anne of Cleves? Are you kidding me??), the nonsensical timeline (that one lady in waiting who didn't age a day in the course of literal decades), the obvious stupidity of not showing Henry VIII's physical deterioration until the very last episode (why?!?!), I now wonder why we bothered.

I'm glad we now have shows like The Great, which loudly and proudly revel in how historically inaccurate they are, and don't take themselves so seriously.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Mr. Fitch and I loved watching The Tudors back in the day, but in retrospect... it was really a stupid show. The ludicrous miscasting left and right (Joss Stone as Anne of Cleves? Are you kidding me??), the nonsensical timeline (that one lady in waiting who didn't age a day in the course of literal decades), the obvious stupidity of not showing Henry VIII's physical deterioration until the very last episode (why?!?!), I now wonder why we bothered.

In my defense, I watched it for entertainment value not historical accuracy.

*beat*

And for the fine Mr. Cavill.

• Like 4
  • Wink 4
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2024 at 10:27 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I couldn't make it through the first episode when they had Henry VIII's uncle killed. What uncle? His only uncles were the princes in the Tower. I'm glad I stopped there I would have been really annoyed over changing his sister Mary's name to Margaret. He did have a sister named Margaret who became Queen of Scotland. Which would have made great stories given all the wars between them in his reign. Plus she was awesome. She got a divorce from her second husband so she could marry her third husband, way before Henry got his first divorce , he even lectured her on it. But she did what she wanted. I don't know why they couldn't have both sisters. 

I'm glad we now have shows like The Great, which loudly and proudly revel in how historically inaccurate they are, and don't take themselves so seriously.

I do like those that do let you know right off the bat that their not going to bother to be accurate. You know what your getting. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1