Type keyword(s) to search

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

• Start Topic

On 5/18/2023 at 5:14 PM, AimingforYoko said:

If this is how Scorsese hangs it up, it's interesting that it's not(but kind of is) a mob movie. 

He already has other films in the works, including another Grann adaptation. I wouldn't expect this to be his last outing.

The book is one of the best pieces of non-fiction I've read in the last decade, so I've been looking forward to this film for a long time.

• Like 2

This movie is very good, albeit, it doesn't quite justify its mammoth run time.  The story itself is obviously upsetting but it's Scorsese so you know he's going to do well with it.  DiCaprio does his usual, I feel like we've seen him give this type of performance before, but Lily Gladstone and Robert De Niro both truly popped for me.  

I would have wanted better closure here but that could have been on purpose.  The Osage Nation probably didn't get the closure they wanted  deserved either.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 8

Marvelous film. DiCaprio always delivers, but in recents DeNiro has been listless. I'm glad that he has material that has awakened the acting prowess within him.  

A gripping story. And while, sadly, I think there wasn't enough perspective from the Native American characters, I hope people could feel a sense of rage and injustice at the atrocities committed against the community. 

The length only started getting to me maybe at the 2 1/2 hour mark because that when it becomes a slightly different story, but I can't think of anything that could have been exorcised . There was no fat to this story. 

And complete aside: I just got a kick out of seeing so many singers acting in a Scorsese film. 

• Like 5

waaaaaayyyyyyyy to long.  Just saw it this afternoon and it was exhausting.  It was beautifully filmed and there was a lot of lovingly photographed details.  I think as he gets older, Scorsese, his movies seem to get longer.  I did keep getting distracted by those teeth DiCaprio was sporting.

• Like 4

What did y'all make of the coda? 

Spoiler

I took it as a commentary on the true crime craze and how it sensationalizes and trivializes real atrocities that happened to real people.  I also think it was notable that entire cast of the radio show was white.  Period accurate for sure but also a commentary on who even gets to tell the story.

• Like 6

Lily Gladstone's best scene was when Mollie asked Ernest about the insulin. Just a subtle shade crossed her face when he lied to her face and you knew she was done with him. She did a great job with all the emotional trauma she suffered but I love the little bits like that.

24 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

What did y'all make of the coda?

The bit where the radio actor did the stereotypical "Indian" voice was definitely a commentary on who gets to tell the story.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Lily Gladstone's best scene was when Mollie asked Ernest about the insulin. Just a subtle shade crossed her face when he lied to her face and you knew she was done with him. She did a great job with all the emotional trauma she suffered but I love the little bits like that.

The bit where the radio actor did the stereotypical "Indian" voice was definitely a commentary on who gets to tell the story.

So agree. She portrayed such complex feelings. On one hand this man did horrific things to your family and help them to be systematically murdered, but on the other you are facing moving forward totally alone and ill and grieving. Any path forward is still completely devastating.

• Like 9

There was a brief period where I thought Mollie figured everything.  The scene where she says they will move and put all Ernest's secrets in a box and bury them. I thought that my be her way of saying "I know" so that he would never have to tell her and she never had to "know" for real.  If that makes sense.  All the easier to stay in denial and kind of take the easier path in moving on with him.  So glad for her sake that wasn't the case.  He didn't deserve her.  I agree Lily Gladstone did so well with the giant emotional swings as well as the small details.  

On the flip side, what movie did Brendan Fraser think he was in?  I almost burst out laughing at one point as he was so over the top it bordered on parody.  Maybe I was just punchy because we were rounding the final turn of the movie.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

On the flip side, what movie did Brendan Fraser think he was in?  I almost burst out laughing at one point as he was so over the top it bordered on parody.  Maybe I was just punchy because we were rounding the final turn of the movie.

I've seen more than a few people, and even a full-on write-up, panning his performance but I thought it was fitting. He was playing a bombastic, showy lawyer - the type of lawyer someone like Hale would have.  If Scorsese had a problem with the tenor and tone of what he was doing, he would have guided him. 

Also, the third actor had a few bits of levity like the scene where Kelsie is spitballing to his lawyer about the legality of adopting his late wife's kids and getting their headrights in case something happens to them.

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Like 4
43 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

I've seen more than a few people, and even a full-on write-up, panning his performance but I thought it was fitting. He was playing a bombastic, showy lawyer - the type of lawyer someone like Hale would have.  If Scorsese had a problem with the tenor and tone of what he was doing, he would have guided him. 

Also, the third actor had a few bits of levity like the scene where Kelsie is spitballing to his lawyer about the legality of adopting his late wife's kids and getting their headrights in case something happens to them.

I feel like the humor of the Kelsie scene fit the tone of the movie as a whole.  Fraser's performance was bizarre.  It felt more petulant child than bombastic lawyer.  Maybe it was simple miscasting though as I could see Lithgow being the one to better pull off the character.  Truth be told I didn't love him in The Whale either but at least the performance didn't feel out of step with the film.

Edited by kiddo82

I saw this last night. I read the book a few years ago and was glad during the film that I did, because it meant I knew Mollie would survive the poisoning. There was so much evil and misery going on that otherwise I would not have been sure. It was such a relief when the FBI arrived.

Regarding the running length, I had cognitive dissonance because while watching it, I often thought that it seemed like it could be tightened up, yet whenever I checked my watch I was surprised at how much time had flown past. It didn't feel like a 200 minute movie. I've sat through 90-minute movies that felt longer.

Ernest was such a weak and contradictory man. And that moment where he signs the papers his uncle gives him? How dumb can a person be?

• Like 3
19 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

Marvelous film. DiCaprio always delivers, but in recents DeNiro has been listless. I'm glad that he has material that has awakened the acting prowess within him.  

A gripping story. And while, sadly, I think there wasn't enough perspective from the Native American characters, I hope people could feel a sense of rage and injustice at the atrocities committed against the community. 

The length only started getting to me maybe at the 2 1/2 hour mark because that when it becomes a slightly different story, but I can't think of anything that could have been exorcised . There was no fat to this story. 

And complete aside: I just got a kick out of seeing so many singers acting in a Scorsese film. 

I watched it yesterday and this was pretty much my take too. It's the first time in a long time I actually felt like De Niro was acting and not just doing his own spin on De Niro. He was quietly very sinister. And truthfully I felt like this was the first time Leo felt like he was doing more than Leo in a while too. I am not sure I have ever seen him play a character that was quite that willfully dense before. But the performance that really stood out to me was Lily Gladstone. I hope she gets an Oscar. I really liked a lot of the supporting actors too. 

It was a long movie, but I didn't find it boring or slow. I did find the earlier parts of the movie more interesting than the courtroom drama--which I am usually a sucker for--but it still worked for me. That being said, I am glad I watched it in an IMAX theater with reclining seats, and though I look forward to seeing it again, I will be happy to do that at home where I have control over when I can pause it. (In the early afternoon show I went to, there were a lot of people in the premium reclining seats, and one group came in, saw us in the reclining  seats and were like "Oh we're paying extra to upgrade to that." But I think the lengthy runtime was definitely why so many people were doing that.) 

I am a big Sturgill Simpson fan. I was introduced to his work by my brother, whom I watched the movie with, and we totally started elbowing each other when we finally saw him. LOL 

I also thought the cinematography was stunning and appreciated the set and costume detail. I loved the music, too. I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat ever since I got home last night. 

5 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

This was my take too. I burst out laughing when he was claiming he was not even allowed to communicate with his client. It was over-the-top, but I think intentionally so. It seemed to me like the kind of mannered performance a dodgy lawyer in the 20s would do in court. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
On 10/21/2023 at 2:59 PM, kiddo82 said:

DiCaprio does his usual, I feel like we've seen him give this type of performance before

I disagree there. Even when he's played a villain role (which, the last one would have been The Wolf of Wall Street in 2013) he hasn't played somebody this stupid.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I agree with that. Arnie from What's Eating Gilbert Grape would run rings around Earnest.

Hey now! Arnie wasn’t stupid, he was neurodivergent. And he was a good kid that cared about his family.

So yeah, rings around Ernest, but basic human decency shouldn’t be a high bar.

• Like 3

So I'll freely admit that The Irishman downright pissed me off. Other than Joe's constrained performance I loathed it. Tough for me because I love Marty.

Thank God for this one.

At the moment I decided that it was getting a bit too long, it effing switched gears. I didn't know about some of the late arrivee actors, but was damned pleased to see them. 

Lily was transcendent. She was the ultimate of Scorcese's "less" performances. How she can hold the camera. Marvelous.

Leo was such a dumbass. It was hard to want to watch such a complete and utter dumbass. He was great, I'm not complaining. Just what an amoral dumbass.

And it is great to see DeNiro turn it ON.  Devious bastard. Quite memorable.

Didn't feel like 3 1/2 hours and I loved the coda because a certain actress had a line in it. I loved her when she said in Goodfellas "I can't go without my lucky hat!" 

Edited by MrsR
  • Like 4

I saw this last night.  I only had a passing familiarity with the story, and have not read the book, but I thought Marty & Co did a great job with it.  I had read a bit about how involved the Osage Nation was, and I definitely appreciated that.  

Lily Gladstone was amazing.  Every glance and half-smile carried so much emotion and meaning.  And because I hadn't read the book, I was so worried for her when Ernest was slowly killing her.  Do we know what, besides insulin, he was injecting?  I thought it was interesting that he took some as well.

Ernest was a dumbass.  I don't want to defend him, but it might be said that he didn't know what he was doing until he was in too deep.  Uncle King was ruthless, and no doubt would have had Ernest killed, too.  Speaking of the killers, none of them was exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, either.  Despite that, they probably would have gotten away with everything if the Bureau of Investigation hadn't gotten involved.  Everyone else was either in on it or simply didn't care.

I dreaded the run time, but while I was watching, I honestly couldn't figure out what I'd cut.  I was riveted.  I appreciated the ending, too -- much better than simple title cards telling us what happened in the end.  And the drum circle was lovely.

• Like 5
On 10/25/2023 at 6:23 PM, Browncoat said:

Lily Gladstone was amazing.  Every glance and half-smile carried so much emotion and meaning.  And because I hadn't read the book, I was so worried for her when Ernest was slowly killing her.  Do we know what, besides insulin, he was injecting?  I thought it was interesting that he took some as well.

The book doesn't include any information that Ernest was adding something to her insulin, so I'm not sure where that came from, or if it was a construct of Scorsese's. The book also holds its cards closer to its chest, as in it's over halfway thru before we realize it's Hale and Ernest, et al, committing the murders, so it's kind of shocking. Scorsese pulls no punches with it; we know pretty immediately who the bad guys are. 

I thought it was a brutal, beautiful, awful masterpiece. Lily Gladstone is, as someone above said, transcendent. Both DeNiro and Leo are 20 years too old to play these men, but that really didn't matter. They're great actors. But it's Lily's film. 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, luna1122again said:

The book doesn't include any information that Ernest was adding something to her insulin, so I'm not sure where that came from, or if it was a construct of Scorsese's.

Construct, but it makes sense  to add that bit because up to that time Ernest could fool himself into believing that his Uncle was just helping out by getting Mollie insulin, when he should have known his uncle would never want her to get better since the entire graft was dependent on the deaths of Mollie and her family.  By making Ernest knowingly add a bit of something extra he can no longer hide behind denial. He was being knowingly complicit in her poisoning. I think that's why he took a bit of it himself.  At one point he said he loved his wife almost as he loved money and I believed him. He loved her on a level and it wore on him to be a part of this plot but not enough for him to stop.

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Like 6
9 hours ago, luna1122again said:

The book doesn't include any information that Ernest was adding something to her insulin, so I'm not sure where that came from, or if it was a construct of Scorsese's

I'd call it less a construct than a logical guess. The Hale conspiracy was poisoning Mollie; the most logical person to have been doing it is Ernest, though he never personally admitted to it.

• Like 2

I am rereading the book for the first time since it was released. I am pretty early in the book so not to any of the poisoning, but I did a search for the word insulin in a digital copy, and there is a mention that investigators suspected her doctors were poisoning her when they were supposed to be giving her insulin shots. The prosecutor directly questioned them about the insulin shots they were giving her and it is noted her health improved immediately after she was removed from their care.

Grann speculates that they may have indeed kept Ernest in the dark about that aspect of the plot because they weren't sure he'd go through with poisoning her, but he also says maybe Ernest just never would admit to it because it looked so bad.

I think from a dramatic standpoint, Ernest being the one to do it in the movie works a lot better than it only being the doctors. His being involved in the murder of her other family members is heinous on its own, but actively poisoning her is really beyond the pale. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
(edited)

Finally saw it on Apple TV. Man was it LONG. But Lily deserves all the awards. And this was DeNiro’s best movie in ages.

Good lord, I never thought Leo could play anyone more repellent than Calvin Candie,  but he sure proved me wrong here. I don’t give a fuck if Ernest really loved Mollie or not, you can’t love someone and help wipe out her family and friends. That’s sick.

God the way those murder sequences were just so cold and ruthless. Pure Scorsese but still.

I will agree with the criticisms that more focus is on the white murderers than the victims (except Mollie). And I hate that for the SAG best ensemble nomination, none of the native cast except Lily was listed. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I hate that for the SAG best ensemble nomination, none of the native cast except Lily was listed. 

Her and Tantoo Cardinal.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Her and Tantoo Cardinal.

My point remains.

Ernest’s grief over baby Anna probably was genuine, but it shouldn’t have taken that for whatever passed for his conscience to kick in. And even then he still wouldn’t own up to poisoning Mollie. Even if he did actually want to kill her, just “slow her down”, it was heinous.

I do think Mollie and Ernest both had mutually beneficial motives for marrying each other. From the very beginning, Mollie teases him about him being a “coyote wanting money” but she needed security and he was charming enough — heck, even I cracked a grin at “I bet that’s (native) for ‘handsome Devil” line. That doesn’t mean genuine love on her end didn’t come later. And she obviously trusted him until the point where the truth was staring her right in the face. I sure hope her next husband treated her better.

I get the radio show epilogue was satirizing how that piece of history was whitewashed. That didn’t make it any less cringey.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I’m 50 minutes into this, and having a hard time believing that Mollie would marry Ernest.

I just can’t buy that he’s the best she could get.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Also who names their kid “Cowboy”? SMH

It's actually just a nickname for him. They did call him that, but his name was James, per the book.  

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Zella said:

It's actually just a nickname for him. They did call him that, but his name was James, per the book.  

Ah, that makes more sense.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:37 PM, revbfc said:

I’m 50 minutes into this, and having a hard time believing that Mollie would marry Ernest.

I just can’t buy that he’s the best she could get.

Agreed, but like I said, she needed security, and he was the nephew of Hale, the “generous benefactor” for the town and the Osage people. His corny flirting had a certain level of charm, even some of the lines he fed her came off as “I don’t see color”, which she did at least call him out on. Sort of.

Anyway, she wound up paying dearly for her poor judgement. 

• Like 3

I thought this was an interesting interview with Jason Isbell, who played Ernest and Mollie's brother-in-law Bill, and some of the behind-the-scenes stuff is interesting. https://www.gq.com/story/jason-isbell-just-another-actor-with-a-night-job

I found it especially amusing that the dialect coach told him that because of his naturally heavy Alabama accent, he didn't have any notes for Isbell and he could just talk the way he normally did. But then de Niro was apparently standoffish with Isbell for a few days because he thought he was method-speaking to get into character until he realized Isbell really does just sound like that. LOL 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

What was happening during the scene with the fire on Hale's ranch? Something about how he took out a fire insurance policy and he was maybe committing fraud? But the camera kept lingering on the fire as if it was important. As if another murder was taking place.

Also, during the trial, that guy Kelsie testified to how he killed Anna, but then we later saw the murder take place in flashback. That's redundant, and I don't know why the doctors cut open the head in public. I know they said they were searching for the bullet, but why didn't they take the body inside to some coroner's office? Why do that outside in front of that whole crowd of people? It just felt like Scorsese was being too graphic and showing things that didn't need to be shown.

• Like 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ah, that makes more sense.

Agreed, but like I said, she needed security, and he was the nephew of Hale, the “generous benefactor” for the town and the Osage people. His corny flirting had a certain level of charm, even some of the lines he fed her came off as “I don’t see color”, which she did at least call him out on. Sort of.

Anyway, she wound up paying dearly for her poor judgement. 

It was so obvious what was going on, white men marrying Indian women and the Indian women dying.  Along with many other Indians just being shot instead of the pretense of making it seem like natural causes, which is apparently what spiking the insulin was about.

Someone mentioned that killing a dog would get the killer in more trouble than if he killed an Indian.

Then the elders were talking about how they would kill the murderers who were killing the Osage if they could see them.

And Earnest and Hale were right there.

Mollie asked President Coolidge to send help but she didn't point fingers.  The investigators showed up and it didn't take long to find out what was going on, who was behind it all.

With her wealth, she couldn't simply just stay away from Fairfax, go to Colorado Springs as Reta talked about?

Also why only marry white men?  Was there some big shortage of Indian men?

After Molly was treated, they probably told her that Earnest was spiking her insulin.  Yet until she asked him, she didn't suspect?

Those fed doctors didn't tel her she should continue with the insulin?  Earnest and Hale outlived her by decades it appears.

They referred to her bad diet so she was maybe more portly than portrayed here.

Edited by aghst
On 1/15/2024 at 11:11 PM, aghst said:

Also why only marry white men?  Was there some big shortage of Indian men?

This is clearer in the book, but they did try to show this in the movie: The Native population had been declared mentally incompetent in mass and were legally required to have a white person (generally a man, because let's add patriarchy to racism) manage their money. They literally did not have direct access to their funds and require permission from their white guardian for any access. So they are between a rock and a hard place and for a lot of them the least terrible path was to be married to their guardian (and thereby hopefully have more influence) vs having random white man in town serve that function.

You can read more about it here: https://www.npr.org/2023/03/23/1165619070/osage-headrights-killers-of-the-flower-moon-fletcher-lawsuit

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 1/15/2024 at 10:45 PM, Cress said:

I know they said they were searching for the bullet, but why didn't they take the body inside to some coroner's office? Why do that outside in front of that whole crowd of people? It just felt like Scorsese was being too graphic and showing things that didn't need to be shown.

If I remember from the book that is actually what happened. They did the inquest right then and there at the scene and also random people both observed and trampled all over the crime scene. I think your reaction is exactly what Scorsese is going for because you should be horrified by it.

Edited by bluphoenix451
  • Like 3

Ok thanks for answering my question about the weird public autopsy. Did the book mention the fire at all, or is that something that Scorsese just made up to be visually dramatic?

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Cress said:

Ok thanks for answering my question about the weird public autopsy. Did the book mention the fire at all, or is that something that Scorsese just made up to be visually dramatic?

I'm pretty sure that there is an intentional fire set on the prairie for him to collect insurance money in the book. I personally thought there was some dark humor in the scene as the agent posing as an insurance guy realized during the conversation that the fire they're watching is an act of fraud against the very policy he sold Hale. It basically underscores how greedy Hale is and how bold he is in undertaking his schemes. He'll acquire a policy and turn around and commit fraud on it within weeks of purchase because he assumes he can get away with it. Insurance fraud is also a recurring issue in the story, from the harebrained car theft scheme to the very sinister manner in which Hale acquired insurance on Henry Roan Horse before killing him. It's basically part of a pattern to the family's crimes. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Just watched this earlier today and I also came away with this:

On 1/15/2024 at 5:39 PM, revbfc said:

I’ve got to hand it to DiCaprio, he truly made me believe his character was the dumbest motherfucker in all of Oklahoma.

I know, right? What the hell did he think he was doing shooting her up with insulin and the poison?!

I have to believe it wasn’t Scorcese’s intention to make Ernest more sympathetic. Riiight?

I wish I could understand Osage language because I really wanted to know what was being said when I it was spoken and we didn’t get the subtitles for it, like we did for other times when what was being said did have subtitles.

I had read the article/interview in The Washington Post with Mollie’s granddaughter or maybe great granddaughter who was named after her before the movie was released. I think I’d forgotten that Mollie hadn’t been murdered, but survived being poisoned. Because I kept wondering if Scorsese dared to change something so big. And that Mollie still believed in him after she was treated and got better?! Then I had to stop thinking with my 20th/21st century lenses.

Color me shocked! I either didn’t read carefully enough but I didn’t know that John Lithgow and Brendan Fraser were also in this!

I have to read the book.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2

I'm not sure these characters were suppose to be too smart.  Earnest and Mollie were probably uneducated and haven't seem much beyond their small town.

Maybe they weren't completely literate either.

In fact even the mastermind Hale might not have been too sophisticated.  Certainly he gaslit most of the others in that small town but when the federal investigators came, he seemed to think he could just bluster his way out of trouble.

But it didn't take long for the investigators to map out everything that they'd been doing.  It was pretty obvious, that the Osage women were being married and then would die under mysterious circumstances and all their rights which gave them all this oil income would go to the husbands or ultimately to Hale.

Then some of these men would marry other Osage women and they also would die.  Or many Osage were simply murdered.

Hale was throwing a tantrum about not collecting on the life insurance of that one Osage guy, whom he had murdered but wanted it to look like suicide.  However the killer they hired just shot him in the back of the head.  Despite the fact that he was obviously murdered, Hale was stomping his feet about collecting the life insurance.

Again, not really a mastermind.

But of course, he had enough connections or maybe bribed someone and he got out of prison, lived a much longer life than Mollie.  Not sure how well he lived or how much of the money he still had.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have to believe it wasn’t Scorcese’s intention to make Ernest more sympathetic. Riiight?

I have to believe that too because he sure as shit wasn’t sympathetic to me. Except his reaction when the baby died.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Lily Gladstone won the SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role...

SAG Awards 2024: ‘Oppenheimer’ Dominates as ‘Succession’ and ‘The Bear’ Win Top TV Prizes
By Selome Hailu, Brent Lang    Feb 24, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/sag-awards-winners-2024-full-list-1235921598/ 

“Killers of the Flower Moon” star Lily Gladstone was named best actress for her performance as Mollie Kyle, an Osage woman who is betrayed by her husband and targeted for her fortune as part of an elaborate conspiracy. Gladstone made history, becoming the first indigenous actress to win the award. “We bring empathy into a world that needs it,” she told her fellow performers, urging the actors in the room to “keep speaking your truth.”

Edited by tv echo