Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E18: Top 5 to Top 3

• Start Topic

Wanted Colin, Megan, Wei. I assumed we’d get Wei, Colin, Iam. Thrilled to see Zachariah go, even if it was far too late. 

I still think Iam making it this far is Americas way of rebelling against the whole “skinny/pretty people are successful” mindset. There’s no way that people voting for him all actually like that kind of music. If they did, people outside of Hawaii would have heard of his dad. People can tell me all damn day how great he is, but I doubt 99% of his voters would ever buy a ticket to see him stand in one spot playing a ukulele (cause God knows he’s not moving), and most wouldn’t be bothered to pay for one of his 12 songs that all sound alike from an album. 

He will win. I wish Megan would, but she should still land a spot in contemporary Christian music if that’s what she wants. 

• Like 7
Just now, Gemma Violet said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right, especially since Colin and Megan will now split the country vote.

Yep. And that’s fine. Winning isn’t really a necessity. I’ll guarantee you that if six months from now you put either of them in a venue and Iam in one next door, they sell 3x the tickets he sells as long as the venue isn’t in Hawaii. 

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, MissPriss said:

We’ is definitely a brilliant singer. She’s just didn’t belong on AI. Too much exposure and experience in my opinion. 

That's what my mom said. 

I'm fine with Iam and Megan making it. Neutral on Colin. I thought maybe Zachariah might get in over him. 

Whole lot of talk about people's lights tonight :p. 

The "Part of Your World" performance was lovely. 

• Like 2

Judges to Iam: "You know who you are, and you don't waiver.  Good for you for staying true to yourself."

Judges to literally every other contestant on the show ever: "You're too one-dimensional.  You need to expand your repertoire.  Broaden your horizon."

Iam definitely doesn't deserve to win, but based upon the response of the crowd and the voting each week, he will.  Unfortunately, he'll be one of those winners that will fade into the sunset 15 minutes after the finale airs.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)

WTH voted for that proverbial dime-a-dozen bland Megan?!

And seriously---Iam? SERIOUSLY?! He's a walking Hawaiian cliche'! A poor man's Big Willy, RIP.

Well, TPTB have wanted Iam from the git-go, so now they have him. The other two are such obvious fodder.

WE' WAS THE BEST.

😡 🤬 👎 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right, especially since Colin and Megan will now split the country vote.

I'm not so sure about that.  Noah and Huntergirl didn't split the vote last year - they finished 1-2.  Scotty and Lauren didn't split it either and they beat out Haley Reinhart.  The country (and Christian) vote is massive and Iam being from Hawaii doesn't help as much with voting - the show starts at 2 pm over there.  At this point with only three left I think he finishes third (and then becomes the house entertainer at the Disney Aulani resort).

I think Colin wins as he has all the demographics on his side, but I'm rooting for Megan since I think she's the best singer left (she was great on both her songs this week).  I wouldn't be surprised to see her win either but I'm picking Colin in a close vote.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, cowgirlwen said:

Judges to Iam: "You know who you are, and you don't waiver.  Good for you for staying true to yourself."

Judges to literally every other contestant on the show ever: "You're too one-dimensional.  You need to expand your repertoire.  Broaden your horizon."

They always do that. Sometimes they even tell a person one week that they should stick to what they're doing and then 2 weeks later they are annoyed at them for doing just that. Fast forwarding the judges is the only way to enjoy this show imo.

Unfortunately, he'll be one of those winners that will fade into the sunset 15 minutes after the finale airs.

So, like 90% of the winners lol.

1 hour ago, UrbanShocker said:

I think Colin wins as he has all the demographics on his side, but I'm rooting for Megan since I think she's the best singer left (she was great on both her songs this week).  I wouldn't be surprised to see her win either but I'm picking Colin in a close vote.

I agree.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

So, like 90% of the winners lol.

I agree.

Lol, yeah, it's not like superstardom is waiting in the wings for any winner of the current iteration of the show. 

And I'm betting Colin wins, AI voters seem to love country-leaning males and the WGWG cliche became a cliche for a reason.

This episode was a serious snooze, wow. I just watched it now and I cannot remember a single performance. Even the sound seemed muted.

I don't know who the mentor was, but she didn't add anything. And that "moment" with Iam looked so incredibly forced. The tight camera angles giving the appearance of a massive crowd and the fact that it looked like half of them were just in line for rides and watching the "show" for something to do while waiting. And I like Iam, but I'm not a fan of the show going out of its way to shove someone down my throat.

Really, the only moment that stood out to me was Ryan Seacrest's visible annoyance with Katy Perry when he was trying to deliver his lines and she interrupted him to rattle on about his pajamas. He looked so over her and I couldn't agree more.

Actually, the other memorable moment was also Seacrest-related, I was dying laughing at his effort to not ingest any calories from that churro. You could see him holding the bite in his mouth, I assume he spit it out immediately after they called cut. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I wasn't that surprised We went. Her second performance had the feeling of a goodbye from her interactions with the judges. She was my favorite this year, but I always felt Iam was the best shot at a good winner this year. I like Megan more every week. Hopefully the two country will divide and Iam will win like the year's Maddie and Just Sam won. I think it didn't happen last year because they had a great contestant in Noah and Leah (the non-country one) wasn't very good either to propel her to the win, at least JMO. Here's hoping Iam wins though, his voice is beautiful. He would probably be my third favorite winner of the ABC years if he managed it, behind Maddie and Noah but ahead of Laine.

I was grateful for some song choices that were out-of-the-box last night. I was gritting my teeth in expectation of hearing "How Far I'll Go" and "You've Got a Friend in Me" for the umpteenth time.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

That was an incredibly boring episode. Maybe it’s just because I knew very few of those songs. Those I did know didn’t excite me, and those I didn’t know… also didn’t excite me. I used to get excited for Disney night but taste level is missing from both recent Disney and those choosing songs.

We chose a good song from Frozen II but IMO both her arrangements were far too bombastic. They drowned her out despite her prowess. Busy production value has reverse effect at this point - less is more. She should have stripped them down for a real moment.

Zacharia chose the best songs but, his moment had come to an end. I wish him all the best, he was nothing but a nice guy and hard worker who entertained us.

Colin knows how to pick songs. He’s got Noah vibes. Best of the night, IMO. He could win.

Megan is the best singer but neither song was a home run. Both were largely forgettable and that disappointed me because I look forward to hearing her more than anyone else.

Man, can they push IAM any harder? How many times has he gotten the pimp spot? I don’t think he has ever been anywhere near the first half of the show. Anyway, I had no use for either of those performances. Snoooooze. I knew he’d make the finale, he’s good, I like him - but I’m getting insanely annoyed at the over praise and I’m befuddled by the huge groundswell I see every week like he’s the second coming. I can’t believe so much goodwill is still riding off that audition. The truth is he’s never topped it. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I haven't watche AI since 2020.  I think Sam somebody won that year.  Anyway, I tuned in to see what the fuss this Iam dude was all about.

And I'm still wondering what all the fuss was about.  Someone earlier posted that Iam will probably win because he's a big boy and the show is pushing this anyone can win narrative.  I didn't like how he sounded or his songs.  No one will remember him after next week.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I hate the way Katy Perry is trying to gaslight us all into believing that Iam is worthy of winning! 

Also, are there audience signals that cause them to hoot and holler whenever Iam opens his mouth or have they been drinking Katy Perry's koolaid?

• Like 3

Disney week has always been one of my least favorite weeks in terms of song selection; I just don't care about literally any of these songs.  I will say at least some of the songs were different than in previous years.

I love We's voice but has it ever been confirmed that ther speaking voice is a put on?  I think it was the intro for Halle Bailey where she sounded totally normal.  I am not surprised she didn't make it into the Top 3 but she's the only one that maybe there's the possibility of an off chance that I'd listen to her music outside of AI :)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I remember when We was on The Voice there were several comments that came out about her talking in a normal voice when she didn't realize she was being watched.  I believe there were a few clips that people found proving she could talk normal but preferred the baby voice that made her singing voice such a Thing.  I do think she puts it on because she thinks it makes her sound sweet.  I just think it makes her sound fake.    

• Useful 2

I’m inclined to believe We’ is fake. She’s an outstanding singer but there’s something that is keeping her from greatness. It could be her perceived fake voice, as mentioned above, or her fake sweetness. Something is preventing her career from soaring. Something that is only discernible after a while. I know luck has a lot to do with success but appearing on The Voice and now American Idol is pretty much “luck”, yet her career stalls for a reason. 
Just my 2 cents worth. 

(edited)

There should be a rule that if you've competed on one voice show you can't be on another. It's ridiculous. They become fame whore wannabes. We has a great voice, yes. But I can't get past the baby talk voice and the fact that she's a serial TV show competitor, so I can't take her seriously at all. I hear Megan was also on the voice, is that true? If so, ditto her. Iam sucks. I'm sorry but like many here have already said, he's a good tourist luau entertainer and that's about it. He's not the second coming of Don Ho. And Colin, I need subtitles to understand what he's mumbling 90% of the time.  I think I'm put on AI going forward. It's too rushed and stacked with undeserving people IMO. 🙄 

Edited by gingerella
13 minutes ago, gingerella said:

There should be a rule that if you've competed on one voice show you can't be on another. It's ridiculous. They become fame whore wannabes. We has a great voice, yes. But I can't get past the Ababa talk voice and the fact that she's a serial TV show competitor, so I can't take her seriously at all. I hear Megan was alo on the voice, is that true? If so, ditto her. Iam sucks. I'm sorry but like many here have already said, he's a good tourist luau entertainer and that's about it. He's not the second coming of Don Ho. And Colin, I need subtitles to u serdtand what he's mumbling 90% of the time.  I think I'm put on AI going forward. It's too rushed and stacked with undeserving people IMO. 🙄 

I think it might be OK to compete in another singing show if you made it to the equivalent of Hollywood week. But if you got to the top, say, 10 or 12 on another show, then they shouldn't be allowed to compete on Idol. Certainly not if they were the top 3, like Wé. I don't watch The Voice--Megan finished fairly low, right? At least not top 10?

• Like 1

I was distracted most of the show by the out fit KP was wearing.  That thing had to be hot and tight.  How did she sit there under hot lights and not sweat?!  I most certainly would.

Ok as for the results, I am not too surprised.  I agree with posters upthread that WE is just too polished.  She has a great voice but there is a definite disconnect between her and the audience.  Its like perfection without passion.  

Hope anyone but Iam wins.  Super nice kid but not an American Idol.  But what most AI winners fall into obscurity, but some runner ups have hit gold.  The actual winner is not necessarily the best singer but the most popular singer.  And AI has done everything possible to push Iam through.  So if he wins its on them.  He will not be the next greatest find for AI.

I would like them to go back to original format where we see more of the singers that actually went through to Hollywood week and not the handpicked contestants like they did this season.  Over 50 people made it through, but we really only saw the ones AI deemed worthy of their own hashtag.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

With Iam, I think a lot of people are caught up in his backstory - the way they did with Just Sam.

But it's not like anyone from this season screams breakout either.  But then Idol really hasn't produced a lot of successes in the last decade.

They love pimping Gabby Barrett as if she is this huge star.  Fact is, lots of alums from the FOX era can rival her.

• Like 5