Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/15/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Monday, May 15 — Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)

Tuesday, May 16 — Rita Moreno (“Fast X”); Kelly McCreary (ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy”)

Wednesday, May 17 — Sigourney Weaver (“Master Gardener”); Patricia Clarkson and Trace Lysette (“Monica”)

Thursday, May 18 — Michael J. Fox (“Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie”)

Friday, May 19 — Daveed Diggs “(The Little Mermaid”)

Edited by falltime
spelling
  • Thanks 1

TWO SEGMENTS devoted to discussing whether the media spends too much time covering Trump.  You devoted TWO ENTIRE SEGMENTS to this man.

Sunny should have been corrected in the fact Daniel Penny's donation fund was started by his attorneys.  Any and all proceeds will go to the attorneys.  Penny won't see a cent.  I'd also like to know why Sunny posits this as a racially motivated crime.  Did Daniel Penny target Neely because of his skin color?  Would he have intervened if the harasser had been white?  I think so, so what's the problem now, Sunny?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Ana embarrassed herself today when she said loved The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel sooooo much and that she was rewatching it, and then proceeds to say that she was waiting for Midge to sleep with Lenny Bruce. Can't be too much of a fan if you didn't know that they DID sleep together last season. 

Edited by TravelingLady
To correct spelling of Ana's name
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Has anyone noticed a difference without writers?

Rita Moreno was on the Today Show this morning too and was hilarious.  She was flirting shamelessly with Craig Melvin. Wish I could be text buddies with her too!

14 hours ago, TravelingLady said:

Ana embarrassed herself today when she said loved The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel sooooo much and that she was rewatching it, and then proceeds to say that she was waiting for Midge to sleep with Lenny Bruce. Can't be too much of a fan if you didn't know that they DID sleep together last season. 

I did catch Rachael telling Ana to "watch again"!

• LOL 1

How does everyone feel about the love fest about Martha on Sports Illustrated? I have mixed feelings. I think good for them and good for her but then again most women after a certain age become invisible. I like what Joy said it’s about what you’re doing and that she’s enjoying her life more than she as previously.  It’s money and health  that helps and allows you to be able to do those things that make a person happy…like traveling 

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

How does everyone feel about the love fest about Martha on Sports Illustrated? I have mixed feelings. I think good for them and good for her but then again most women after a certain age become invisible. I like what Joy said it’s about what you’re doing and that she’s enjoying her life more than she as previously.  It’s money and health  that helps and allows you to be able to do those things that make a person happy…like traveling 

I say “you go, girl!”  She looks amazing in the photos although they are artfully arranged to minimize what viewers can see. 

• Like 9
(edited)

Martha is naturally beautiful, and as a former model, with about 40 years as a rich celebrity, she has a huge head start on most women wrt her appearance and its maintenance.  Photoshop, picture angle, and doubtless plenty of cosmetic tweaking probably were important to SI’s final product.  Have heard in the past that Martha has long practiced yoga, Pilates, and obviously, followed a healthy, home - grown/cooked diet.  But have also heard that Martha was on extended bad terms with her only child, had a tumultuous relationship, ending in a vicious divorce, with her husband (who then married one of Martha’s most valued employees), and that she was notoriously ambitious, imperious and self-centered.  So maybe it’s easier to focus on one’s looks and following a healthy lifestyle if other people and their needs aren’t overwhelmingly important to you.

And, Joy, I love you, and you’re also very youthful in appearance, but you’ve often touted your Botox use, so sun avoidance hasn’t been your only complexion help.

Edited by flummoxd
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, flummoxd said:

And, Joy, I love you, and you’re also very youthful in appearance, but you’ve often touted your Botox use, so sun avoidance hasn’t been your only complexion help.

And melanin no doubt helped Whoopi avoid wrinkles, as Joy and Whoopi said, but they missed another reason:  Whoopi's obesity.  It's no secret that as you age, wrinkles are less prominent if you're overweight.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

Gemma Violet, as a humble pensioner with a modest income, I’m on that particular skin care program myself😉, & it’s working quite well!

Have to add that much as I admire Rita Moreno, I felt her awards story was TMI - & of course potty mouth Whoopi loved it and wanted to hear MORE🙄  To each her own.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Have to add that much as I admire Rita Moreno, I felt her awards story was TMI - & of course potty mouth Whoopi loved it and wanted to hear MORE🙄  To each her own.

Another characteristic of growing older is not having a filter anymore.  Or a strong bladder.  😄

I did like hearing her MLK Jr story.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
59 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I did too.  However I literally cringed when she said she likes black boys.  It just sounded bad.  I know she didn't mean it to sound bad but to me it did.  

I like Martha Stewart and I didn't always like Martha Stewart.  She seemed different after going to jail.  More humble?  Less smug?  I don't know but I have enjoyed her ever since.  And I give her credit for saying out loud what most people don't.  That money is usually her motivation for doing something.  

• Like 9

If by "caping" you mean giving more details than Sunny would allow then yes, she was caping.  The only racist in that biased discussion, per usual, was Sunny.  So, thank you, Whoopi for giving us a more rounded view of what transpired in that classroom.  If it were up to Sunny we would have only heard what she wanted us to hear.  I wonder if Sunny's license plate reads:  YTY-BAD.  THIS is why I stopped watching the show.  

The McCarthy era looks like a cake walk in comparison to what is happening in this era.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
16 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

If by "caping" you mean giving more details than Sunny would allow then yes, she was caping.  The only racist in that biased discussion, per usual, was Sunny.  So, thank you, Whoopi for giving us a more rounded view of what transpired in that classroom.  If it were up to Sunny we would have only heard what she wanted us to hear.  I wonder if Sunny's license plate reads:  YTY-BAD.  THIS is why I stopped watching the show.  

The McCarthy era looks like a cake walk in comparison to what is happening in this era.

Glad to see that someone (personally surprised it was Whoopi) recognized that when we see these little videos, we don't see the complete context, which could change the meaning of the moment. Also good for Joy pointing out that the teacher apparently was hoping to turn what sounds like members of the class ignoring the lesson in favor of their own conversation into a "teachable moment" (or something like), even if it didn't come off. If the school has a rule about using phones in class, recording, etc. then the student who recorded the conversation should still be sanctioned, regardless. When presenting a lesson, the teacher can't ignore it when the students keep talking about something else. Maybe he could have told them all to just be quiet and listen, but then he'd come off as not being considerate of his students' concerns, so maybe it was a lose-lose scenario anyway.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Another characteristic of growing older is not having a filter anymore.  Or a strong bladder.  😄

Yeah where was she on the not wearing underwear discussion ? . 
I'm in a small club but never cared for her but found her somewhat palatable when she was on.
The “I like the black boys”  was so out of line.  . 

on my closed captioning what they wrote at the end of Sara was they do things which I’m sure was altered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Glad to see that someone (personally surprised it was Whoopi) recognized that when we see these little videos, we don't see the complete context, which could change the meaning of the moment. Also good for Joy pointing out that the teacher apparently was hoping to turn what sounds like members of the class ignoring the lesson in favor of their own conversation into a "teachable moment" (or something like), even if it didn't come off. If the school has a rule about using phones in class, recording, etc. then the student who recorded the conversation should still be sanctioned, regardless. When presenting a lesson, the teacher can't ignore it when the students keep talking about something else. Maybe he could have told them all to just be quiet and listen, but then he'd come off as not being considerate of his students' concerns, so maybe it was a lose-lose scenario anyway.

I have no problem with the teacher addressing the conversation.  Or the topic in general.    But he said a word he knew was inappropriate six times.  Doesn't matter if the kids said it.  As a teacher, he should have first let the kids know the word was inappropriate (like he would if they were cursing in the classroom) and then addressed the conversation if he felt the need to.    At the end of the day saying the word period was wrong and needed to be reported.   Knowing the full context does not change that (to me).   

If the young lady had not recorded the conversation, the school would have probably done an investigation of some sort, but he probably would have been in that same classroom the next day.   Which would have likely been disruptive to many of the kids in the classroom.   The video gives definitive proof and forced the school to take action immediately.   I do wonder what message the school is trying to send by suspending the young lady for 3 days?  Maybe she will be able to write a great college essay about her experience like Sara said.  But there are a lot of other kids who aren't as strong or don't have parents that support them in that way, that will be afraid to report things they know are wrong.   

And the irony is not lost on me, that so many states have passed or in Missouri's case, trying to pass laws forbidding the discussion of race in the classroom.   Had that law been in place, this teacher would have been breaking the law by even engaging the kids in the why is the word offensive conversation.   Even if he hadn't used the word.   

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I wish someone on the panel had pointed out to Sunny that her "teach math, not race" argument is the same one being used by the book banning/CRT crowd.  It was really weird hearing her say that after preaching the opposite for months.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone catch what Sara said at the end of the second segment (when she covered her mouth)??

6 hours ago, Glitches said:

I missed an entire conversation. What did Sarah say that had everyone reacting with a gasp? 

She just let the word "shit" slip. "Do you know how young 60 is?! I know 60-year-olds! They run marathons! They DO shit!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • LOL 4
57 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Pretty much all Sunny talks about is race.

It was the same on Tuesday when she said that the guy on the NY subway was murdered (her word) by the white guy making herself judge & jury. 

• Like 9
13 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I did too.  However I literally cringed when she said she likes black boys.  It just sounded bad.  I know she didn't mean it to sound bad but to me it did.  

I stopped watching a minute into the interview so I didn't see that part. It sounds so cringe, but in her defense, she is 91. 

8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't care why the teacher said the word.  I don't want to hear anyone saying the word.

Agree. It's 2023. Why does a teacher think it's okay to actually say the word?

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I stopped watching a minute into the interview so I didn't see that part. It sounds so cringe, but in her defense, she is 91. 

Agree. It's 2023. Why does a teacher think it's okay to actually say the word?

He knew exactly what he was doing. He resigned because he realized his ass was wrong. He can  shove an isocseles triangle right up his racist butt. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Sara sounded incredibly stupid on that first topic, arguing for a student being suspended for taping their teacher's massive blunder in actually using a slur that was being discussed? Yeah, yeah, if it happens, you wouldn't punish the child at home because they were in the right, sure, but to support the school suspending them in the first place, WTF? She's just a nutcase these days.

It's very hard to imagine any parent allowing that to happen to their child considering what the situation was without causing a serious ruckus of some kind, threatening a lawsuit, whatever.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I agree with Sunny, being stalked is very frightening, whether you're a celebrity or not. But like that clip of Adams being skeptical it was a two-hour chase and Alyssa bringing up how it almost deliberately brought back Diana, I think they likely over-dramatized it.

Whoopi was right that there's an easy way to deal with crazy in-laws--don't invite them, don't answer the door, whatever. Who would want someone like that at their wedding?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Hold up: Michael was offered Ghost?!?

I was just as shocked as Whoopi. I mean, it certainly would have been a different movie. Aw, don’t beat yourself up about turning it down, Michael, it all worked out. I could never picture anyone except Patrick in that part—God rest his soul.

• Like 7

Really ? what is the age range of View viewers ? Do that really give a big damn about Vanderpump reality casts  goings on?
I can not believe how often this has been covered elsewhere. Michael Fox segment should have been extended. Did Alyssa say Whoopi watched that reality show? I find that hard to believe. I’d bet my life Joy didn’t as she’s busy like me watching a British shows. 

• Like 2

the Michael J Fox segment was really hard to watch..  my brother also had Parkinson's and it was awful to watch him decline but, thankfully, he never got this bad before he died.  i am not a big Whoopi fan, but her obviously sincere love for this man was nice to see.

but, yeah, who cares about that stupid reality show? having that follow a sad segment just seened really misplaced

• Like 9
  • Hugs 7
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

am not a big Whoopi fan, but her obviously sincere love for this man was nice to see.

I agree. I’m no Whoopi fan either but I also think she has a big heart when it comes to people facing challenges. She’s seems to have a lot of empathy for those struggling. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

the Michael J Fox segment was really hard to watch..  my brother also had Parkinson's and it was awful to watch him decline but, thankfully, he never got this bad before he died.  i am not a big Whoopi fan, but her obviously sincere love for this man was nice to see.

My dad has it too. He’s doing okay on meds and everything, but yeah, watching Michael like this hurts. He was my first big celebrity crush and he’s a genuinely good guy.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree with Sunny, being stalked is very frightening, whether you're a celebrity or not. But like that clip of Adams being skeptical it was a two-hour chase and Alyssa bringing up how it almost deliberately brought back Diana, I think they likely over-dramatized it.

Whoever used the phrase "catastrophic car chase" seemed to mean for it to reflect the accident that killed Diana. From all the reports I've seen, it was hardly a "chase" let alone "catastrophic". It did sound annoying and a little frightening for the passengers, but the driver (at least the taxi driver) didn't seem to think it was that crazy. As some of the ladies said, New York has plenty of experience with all kinds of celebrities, from show business to politicians, heads of state, and so on, so it would be smart for people like H & M to take advice about best security practices when visiting there. The cynical view is that this was an attempt to invoke memories of Diana to give Harry and Meghan more attention and sympathy soon after the Coronation grabbed so much attention to King Charles and Prince William. Less cynical view is that Harry (and maybe Meghan) is highly sensitive to traffic problems especially involving photographers, due to his mother's death, and he might overreact a bit in these situations. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I don't blame Harry for overreacting to anything relating to the paps following his family, especially in a vehicle. 

And while it might not have been a typical car "chase"...what would we call it? A car stalking??

I really wish they would leave H&M alone. Take your pics, but no need to run them or others down with scooters, etc, for blocks or miles. I mean seriously, how many photos do we really need of the same scenario?

• Like 12
On 5/17/2023 at 10:58 AM, athousandclowns said:  . 

on my closed captioning what they wrote at the end of Sara was they do things which I’m sure was altered. 

I also must use closed captioning and am so over their sanitization - of course, that’s (slightly) better than the all too prevalent no captions!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, flummoxd said:

I also must use closed captioning

I always get a chuckle when I use closed captioning that they identify Sunny talking as Alyssa!  They couldn't be farther apart.  LOL!

• Like 2

Do the producers choose the news/pop culture stories for the hot topics then meet with the co-hosts?  Because yesterday's HT were DOA.  Maybe the writers are more involved than I realized.

Not to be mean to Michael but the only entertaining part of Thursday's show was watching the deer in headlights look on the co-host's faces as they were trying to figure out what he was saying.

• Sad 4

Color me shocked--I almost expected to hear Sara defending MTG today simply because Sunny was also criticizing her, lol.

I did miss seeing Ana today. She did seem a little taken aback last week by whatever it is with Alyssa and Sara tag teaming Sunny, maybe she just wanted a break from that, but I had been looking forward to a show with less of those two going on and on (and yet saying very little).

• Like 2

Maybe Sara has had enough of Sunny's self righteous woe is me everything is about race eye rolling attitude & is teaming up with Alyssa so that she gets a word in rather than just sitting there looking pretty. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 5/17/2023 at 4:32 PM, After7Only said:

I have no problem with the teacher addressing the conversation.  Or the topic in general.    But he said a word he knew was inappropriate six times.  Doesn't matter if the kids said it.  As a teacher, he should have first let the kids know the word was inappropriate (like he would if they were cursing in the classroom) and then addressed the conversation if he felt the need to.    At the end of the day saying the word period was wrong and needed to be reported.   Knowing the full context does not change that (to me).   

If the young lady had not recorded the conversation, the school would have probably done an investigation of some sort, but he probably would have been in that same classroom the next day.   Which would have likely been disruptive to many of the kids in the classroom.   The video gives definitive proof and forced the school to take action immediately.   I do wonder what message the school is trying to send by suspending the young lady for 3 days?  Maybe she will be able to write a great college essay about her experience like Sara said.  But there are a lot of other kids who aren't as strong or don't have parents that support them in that way, that will be afraid to report things they know are wrong.   

And the irony is not lost on me, that so many states have passed or in Missouri's case, trying to pass laws forbidding the discussion of race in the classroom.   Had that law been in place, this teacher would have been breaking the law by even engaging the kids in the why is the word offensive conversation.   Even if he hadn't used the word.   

After7, I'm sure those kids know they're not to use that word.  I would rather know what happened prior to the start of recording in order to have a better understanding of the context in which the word was used.  i.e. if it was used against another student, etc. 

Also, in reference to the bolded part of your comment, you seem perfectly fine with this teacher's forced resignation, no wiggle room there, yet you make excuses for the student who broke the rules.  Why do rationalize the punishment of one over the other?

Lastly, her family has hired an attorney.  An attorney for a three day suspension?  An attorney who is doing the news circuit.  No agenda there, no siree.

• Sad 1

Well, I'm personally tired of Sara's vapid commentary that adds nothing to the conversation. She's always been that way, but it was easy to ignore when she was playing "the nice one," but it's much more irritating on top of the attitude.

Lately she reminds me of what happened to Nicolle Wallace on this show, only at least with Nicolle (even when she became unbearable in her pettiness) there was always some substance to be had. That's never been the case with Sara.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

After7, I'm sure those kids know they're not to use that word.  I would rather know what happened prior to the start of recording in order to have a better understanding of the context in which the word was used.  i.e. if it was used against another student, etc. 

Also, in reference to the bolded part of your comment, you seem perfectly fine with this teacher's forced resignation, no wiggle room there, yet you make excuses for the student who broke the rules.  Why do rationalize the punishment of one over the other?

Lastly, her family has hired an attorney.  An attorney for a three day suspension?  An attorney who is doing the news circuit.  No agenda there, no siree.

I did not say that and the inference is yours and not mine.   The teacher was wrong for using the word.  Period.  Full Stop.   That wrong should have been reported.   Period.  Full Stop.  It doesn't matter what the kids did.   He is the adult (an older one at that) and the teacher.   He is held to a higher standard.

Context I agree is important and I would consider that when evaluating the punishment.   Based on the context reported, I don't think he should be fired.  But I think he should be reprimanded in some way.  Suspended for 3 days like the young lady was.  Required to apologize to the class and take diversity training, etc.   But he chose to quit.  (He was not forced).   I also have no problem with the kids who used the word being taught why it is so offensive and inappropriate (but some might consider that CRT 😉).   

The young lady has an attorney likely because of the media attention.  I don't think she had an agenda when she filmed it, other than recording something she found offensive.

I agree with Sunny that the parents should fight the suspension.  At the very least to fight for other kids in the future who might be afraid make a complaint against a teacher because of how this young lady was treated.   Parents fight suspension for their kids everyday.   And this was a situation where the punishment did not fit the crime IMHO.   

• Like 5