Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Where my mom was living before she died (a private small group home - wonderful caregivers!) they also had one that came in once a month. I thought that was great until I discovered they were charging $150 for each visit to cut my mom's toenails. That is three fancy pedicures hereabouts, so I just started taking her with when I got a pedicure and it was a great time for us to visit and make snarky comments about everything and anything. She had perfectly polished fingernails and toenails right up to her last breath!

I'd love to be able to do that but my dad can neither speak nor walk and he doesn't know his own name. My mom would have been great for that. I was always cracking her up, even on her death bed. She was as snarky as we are.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think that TWoP got way too caught up in enforcing unnecessary rules by the end. You'd like to see a set of rules that encourage civil discussions and eliminate the bitter shots fired all willy-nilly that you find pretty much everywhere on the internet.

And what the heck was with that "no boards on boards" thing on TWoP?  What did that even mean?  Not that too many seemed to know - because it was violated often - though apparently a big no-no.  But heck if I ever understood what it meant even though it was repeated - often.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
3 minutes ago, realityplease said:

And what the heck was with that "no boards on boards" thing on TWoP?  What did that even mean?  Not that too many seemed to know - because it was violated often - though apparently a big no-no.  But heck if I ever understood what it meant even though it was repeated - often.

I think it meant not to talk about the boards on the boards. The problem was that mods didn't apply the rule equally. Mods like the infamous Howard were looking for people to slip up. That one was on a power trip! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think it meant not to talk about the boards on the boards.

You mean  like if you didn't like some feature of the board or a rule you weren't supposed to talk about it?  That seems like a good rule but a real bad way to express it if so.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

You mean  like if you didn't like some feature of the board or a rule you weren't supposed to talk about it?  That seems like a good rule but a real bad way to express it if so.

If it were only that it would have made some sense, but it was far more convoluted and opaque than that. You couldn't mention anything about what others wrote and the things people would get in trouble for would make your head spin if you tried to make sense of it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Suzn said:

If it were only that it would have made some sense, but it was far more convoluted and opaque than that. You couldn't mention anything about what others wrote and the things people would get in trouble for would make your head spin if you tried to make sense of it.

This! 

• Like 4
On 8/29/2023 at 7:43 PM, realityplease said:

And what the heck was with that "no boards on boards" thing on TWoP? 

They wanted us to focus on the shows and our opinions about them, not our opinions about the opinions held by recappers or other posters, especially as a collective -- it prohibited things like "I don't understand why everyone/most people here are saying X" or even "Over on [other forum], people think X, but". 

But, like with everything else, it was taken to the extreme.  Regarding "boards on boards", the most consistent moderating offense was that if a poster mildly mentioned in a negative way (gee, similar mentions on the positive side were somehow never a violation) a recap or recapper, a mod - especially if one of the mods who wrote recaps, never mind that particular recap - might swoop in and declare it boards on boards.  The rule was so arbitrarily applied as compared to others, almost no one could predict what would be deemed a violation.

As with any forum, there were good and bad moderators, but as a whole they were notoriously thin-skinned at TWoP.  And several consistently failed to hold themselves to the same standards - with regards to the "don't be disrespectful" mandate - they held regular members.

(I only experienced one moderation incident my entire time there, but I saw plenty of posts that were subsequently deleted or moderated for petty reasons, and heard additional horror stories of varying degrees of reliability; I liked many of the rules, but the stringent way they were often applied was bonkers.  What an odd power to get off on.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think it meant not to talk about the boards on the boards. The problem was that mods didn't apply the rule equally. Mods like the infamous Howard were looking for people to slip up. That one was on a power trip! 

Oy, Jacob was a real piece of work too. As for "boards on boards," it made sense to an extent -- like don't make the discussion about the boards or the people on them. However, again, sometimes a mention or a reference was a legitimate part of the trajectory of a conversation. But no -- some mods would swoop in on the tiniest thing! Plus, the wording/explanation of "boards on boards," if I remember right, would have made the quoting a previous post "bad'!

Looking at the weather and news now trying to determine if my dad's area is OK. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They have one that comes in once a month or so at my dad's group home.

That is great.  I wish my Sister would go in one of those.    Get this.  She has Macular Degeneration in one eye and can’t see.  She still drives !!!!!  They pass everyone down there.  Everyone still drives down there even tho it’s dangerous.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 1
On 8/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm mighty curious.  Is there a podcast board on that WDW website?  I don't see it. I'd be curious to see it.  Is it about leadership of the WDW web site or about Disney itself?  That's quite a forum, I have to say, for those who are into Disney.  The level of detail people retain about the park rides and rules for scheduling is astonishing.  It has become so complicated and difficult and expensive to visit these attractions. 

My daughter was a character for Disney for seven years.  Her whole house in N.Y. Is Disney, plus she owns a Time share there.  I’m going to ask her what’s up.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My daughter was a character for Disney for seven years.  Her whole house in N.Y. Is Disney, plus she owns a Time share there.  I’m going to ask her what’s up.

Sorry, but I am old school and don’t know about pod casts at all.  She did say there are many podcasts from many people.  So, no help here. 🤷‍♂️. I have no idea what all that means.  Sorry.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The things that cause me to laugh out loud are becoming a source of concern, lol.

Exhibit A: image.thumb.png.5535d56144b8eeb101f0b958d439cbe3.png

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

image.thumb.png.5535d56144b8eeb101f0b958d439cbe3.png

Didn't make me laugh (few things do) but I f'love it!❤️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The things that cause me to laugh out loud are becoming a source of concern, lol.

Exhibit A: image.thumb.png.5535d56144b8eeb101f0b958d439cbe3.png

Same here. For example, I was cry-laughing the other night because of some random comment on my town's FB page. I still don't know if there was a typo or language barrier or if someone posted to the wrong place or what...maybe someone else will cry-laugh too. Maybe not. Anyway...

371086445_316131000885451_9022996302891075109_n.jpg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 10
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Same here. For example, I was cry-laughing the other night because of some random comment on my town's FB page. I still don't know if there was a typo or language barrier or if someone posted to the wrong place or what...maybe someone else will cry-laugh too. Maybe not. Anyway...

Again, I often miss the funny part of jokes, so I don’t get it. 
But while swimming in Lake Michigan I was kind of creeped out by a mink or 2 swimming alongside — not too close, but still:😳  
And this was before such animals were suspected of being potential COVID carriers.
Minks do seem like big brothers of rats, so I can relate to someone being anxious about them appearing unexpectedly.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It cracked me up because of how random the conversation was.

Ah ha!
Whereas to me it was a little PTSD. 😉

I take stuff way too seriously.
When I was a little kid and did cute, funny, little kid stuff, my Mom would often have to intervene with "Don't laugh, or she'll cry!"

At least now if I do or say something that inadvertently (or intentionally) makes people laugh, I take it as a win, because at least I didn't inadvertently offend anyone.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It cracked me up because of how random the conversation was.

Exactly! I keep checking back to see if there's more. No luck (but I'm still laughing at it). "Random" seems to be what often gets me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But while swimming in Lake Michigan I was kind of creeped out by a mink or 2 swimming alongside — not too close, but still:😳  
And this was before such animals were suspected of being potential COVID carriers.

Farmed minks were catching it from infected workers, and passing it around quickly and widely as they're kept in such densely populated environments.  A wild mink is unlikely to have been infected by a person in the first place, or to turn around and spread it to others as they don't live in packs.  The one infected "wild" mink I've ever read about being found in the U.S. was, based on its location, presumed to have been an escapee from a mink farm.  The fact nothing has come of the COVID mink problem here in the two years since seems to back that up.

I would still be startled to find a couple of them as my swimming companions, though!  I've never seen one in person, so I'd probably have to wait until I got home and searched online to confirm exactly what had been swimming with me.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I would still be startled to find a couple of them as my swimming companions, though!  I've never seen one in person, so I'd probably have to wait until I got home and searched online to confirm exactly what had been swimming with me.

I did have to look them up to identify them as minks when I first saw them along the bigger rocks while walking along the lake. (My first guess was otter.)

I'm pretty sure they were swimming parallel to me on my right because their babies were probably in the rocks of the man-made jetties to their right.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I did have to look them up to identify them as minks when I first saw them along the bigger rocks while walking along the lake. (My first guess was otter.)

I'm pretty sure they were swimming parallel to me on my right because their babies were probably in the rocks of the man-made jetties to their right.

Mink are mean little shits and they will fuck you up if they get a chance.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm stealing this line, "who feeds you?" 😁

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I laughed at this, too, along with the "UFO" picture above :D.

I had a similar situation like yours the other night, too - I was on a Discord for a fandom I'm in, and someone shared a photo of that meme of Elmo with his arms raised and a fire behind him. 

And something about that image in the context of the conversation we were having (which was pretty strange to begin with, so that probably factored in :p), just cracked me the hell up. 

Mind, it really doesn't take a whole lot to make me laugh in general, so...:p. 

• Like 3

I'm not afraid of bats. Not like I am of snakes, and hairy spiders.

But. As I was dumping my cardboard (breaking down the boxes) and putting them in the appropriate bin in the laundry room late last night (each floor has this room for all tenants to use; wish my complex had washer/dryer in the unit, but oh well), when a flapping noise startled me.

At first, I thought it was a bird. But then I noticed the shape of the body and wings. It looked like a baby bat! I moved aside and kept the door open so it could leave, but I think it's hurt; it kept hopping and flapping, but didn't fly out. Ultimately, it hopped to behind the dryers.

I will be calling the leasing office to let them know. Not sure what they can do. But poor little bat.

• Sad 7

Just got a jury summons in the mail. I have been summoned three times now, and both times it was canceled (one was a Friday in June, the other was the week before Christmas). I’m kind of hoping I get to stay this time because as kind of a law geek, I want my IRL but not as exciting SVU experience. 🤣

It is a county court summons and they are not having me come in until the afternoon. Could go either way! The thrill begins. 🤣

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Just got a jury summons in the mail. I have been summoned three times now, and both times it was canceled (one was a Friday in June, the other was the week before Christmas). I’m kind of hoping I get to stay this time because as kind of a law geek, I want my IRL but not as exciting SVU experience. 🤣

It is a county court summons and they are not having me come in until the afternoon. Could go either way! The thrill begins. 🤣

My mom loved jury duty. I've never been summoned.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom loved jury duty. I've never been summoned.

One of my sisters was a few years ago.  Ended up being a very high profile (in our area anyway) case of attempted murder.  She told us afterwards that a lot of the testimony was very distressing and never made it into the news cycle.  Even so I think I would also want to serve on a jury if summoned.  And not that I'd want something grim but with my luck it would be some dry white collar accounting crime that I would not even begin to understand!

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I came close to saying to my supervisor today Yes Ma’am.  

But I’m thinking that could be considered rude? 

Depends on the way you say it.

I was raised to say yes/no sir/ma'am and thank you that way.

I'm old, so I usually say it respectfully. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

One of my sisters was a few years ago.  Ended up being a very high profile (in our area anyway) case of attempted murder.  She told us afterwards that a lot of the testimony was very distressing and never made it into the news cycle.  Even so I think I would also want to serve on a jury if summoned.  And not that I'd want something grim but with my luck it would be some dry white collar accounting crime that I would not even begin to understand!

My biggest fear is having to be on one of those sequestered juries, like the OJ or Bill Cosby trials. 

I got a county court summons, and we don’t really have high-profile trials in my part of PA, so hopefully that won’t happen. But I wonder how crazy I would go anyway. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I could see this either way, my first thought was to not find it offensive in the context that you wrote it above, but then I remembered that I've always hated the word ma'am, as having an old person context, so maybe they might be offended?

3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Just got a jury summons in the mail. I have been summoned three times now

The jury system must love me, I get summoned like clockwork every time the limit (2years - 6 years) runs out on my last jury summons.  I've been lucky enough imo to never get chosen for jury duty.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My life, in one little list.

image.thumb.png.6779e3fec7b79ae4a7e21e3a56657da1.png

4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Oof. Me and #5 have a history.

But have you done #5 with something simple you've cooked a million times? 

(That's me).

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 5
7 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

2 hours ago, partofme said:

I could see this either way, my first thought was to not find it offensive in the context that you wrote it above, but then I remembered that I've always hated the word ma'am, as having an old person context, so maybe they might be offended?

@BlueSkies, I'm inclined to think that if you are worried about Yes Ma'am-ing your supervisor, you probably already have picked up on at least some subliminal hints that your supervisor would *not* appreciate being Yes Ma'amed. 

Like @partofme mentions, I remember being offended by a Yes Ma'am about 30 years ago when I was just starting to get a few white hairs.

So:
If you seriously doubt the customs of politeness from the geographic region of your upbringing can be overridden by your awareness that Yes Ma'amming your supervisor is not a good career move —
At least have a sincere, believable apology rehearsed for when you inevitably Yes Ma'am your supervisor and see a really offended look come across her face.

Edited by shapeshifter
added "sincere, believable" to the apology ​😉​
  • Like 2

I really don't care if someone calls me ma'am.  In fact, I hate it when children address me by my first name without their parents asking me first.  I also don't like it when peers ask their children to call me "auntie" even if I'm not an honorary aunt to their kids (I get that it's cultural custom, but they're ASSUMING that I follow Hong Kong custom.  If I'm not that person's friend, then I'm not an honorary aunt.  I know I've said this a billion times here).  However, if someone at work called me ma'am, then it's a sign that I probably did something wrong/sound to much like a bword.

• Like 4