Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, BlueSkies said:

I mean not to slight anyone here who has tattoos but I saw them all over on a guy's arms today.  It looked real ugly.

What's the appeal to people?  A way to destress or the art form of it or both?  

Tattoo removal business might be something to invest in now 

There are medical uses, to hide scars.  I want to do that.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

There is a house that was turned into a business address along one of the main drags near me that has a tattoo parlour on one side and laser tattoo removal on the other.  I don't know if they're owned by the same person but that cannot possibly be a coincidence!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought everyone knew that Marilyn Monroe had plastic surgery for decades. I've known since  was a kid. All you have to do is look at pictures of her from the forties. Different nose, different chin, etc.

Yeah Norma Jean was a pretty girl, but she didn't look like Marilyn Monroe. A lot of people think her beauty was natural though, just because plastic surgery many decade either can still look pretty bad. She took a gamble getting work done. 

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Well, it looks like HIPAA does allow the release of records 50 years after death. Call me surprised.   And it looks like these skeevy folks sold her records 50 years after her death, like the way people sell old memorabilia.  Ugh.  This was from the individual records of the plastic surgeon.  He probably was holding on to them because she was a celebrity.  Most doctors and hospitals do indeed get rid of records for ordinary folks after 7 years.  When MM died, HIPAA wasn't even a thing.  So he was probably just holding on to those records to see what happened. 

Yeah, but that's different from the doctor selling the actual x-rays and other records. 

It pays to be ordinary folk sometimes.  

37 minutes ago, nokat said:

My DNA is out there. I was more curious than worried and I don't have any markers for diseases, but the gene pool could be used to help. I know I am naive to think positive rather than negative thoughts about it.

Mine is out there as well. I like that you are positive!

31 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I mean not to slight anyone here who has tattoos but I saw them all over on a guy's arms today.  It looked real ugly.

People seem to love or hate tattoos. I'm neutral on them. I think some can look beautiful, even sexy (especially on a guy with nice arms), but some tattoos just look stupid. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, isalicat said:

If you send your DNA sample off to one of those ancestry research organizations, you have just entirely lost privacy rights to that info, frankly, which is why I'll never do it. We were warned that this sort of info eventually can lead to loss of medical insurance (if your DNA shows a predisposition to some horrible genetical driven disease, for example) or even employment (if your employer gets a hold of this info and decides you are a bad risk because of said DNA prognostication of a future condition). Just like the DMV sells your contact info (as do so many other entities), so your DNA can be accessed by public agencies (which is how they are catching serial killers and other murderers from the past). YMMV.

I don’t think this is true?   I know when I had mine done they just assigned you a number or something, my name wasn’t anywhere on the dna kit so I don’t think they can necessarily track it back to me. 

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It pays to be ordinary folk sometimes.  

1 hour ago, nokat said:

My DNA is out there. I was more curious than worried and I don't have any markers for diseases, but the gene pool could be used to help. I know I am naive to think positive rather than negative thoughts about it.

Mine is out there as well. I like that you are positive!

When being ordinary pays off.  I did want to know if I had any DNA that could pass down.  For family, not for me.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

My son has a tattoo obsession.  He likes going to get these temporary ones and for a while, had tons...He IS going to be an artist some day (right now, anyway), so he'd fit right in.  LOL.  One thing I'm going to warn him against is to get a tattoo of his significant other's name.  Because he might regret it some day.  LOL.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I'm so glad I'm not famous. No one would want to buy my medical records. Re:tattoos? At my book club last night, someone was talking about a younger co-worker who had her late dad's signature tattooed on her inner arm. That procedure had to hurt! Owwww 😖

• Like 5
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

If you send your DNA sample off to one of those ancestry research organizations, you have just entirely lost privacy rights to that info, frankly, which is why I'll never do it. We were warned that this sort of info eventually can lead to loss of medical insurance (if your DNA shows a predisposition to some horrible genetical driven disease, for example) or even employment (if your employer gets a hold of this info and decides you are a bad risk because of said DNA prognostication of a future condition). Just like the DMV sells your contact info (as do so many other entities), so your DNA can be accessed by public agencies (which is how they are catching serial killers and other murderers from the past). YMMV.

1 hour ago, partofme said:

I don’t think this is true?   I know when I had mine done they just assigned you a number or something, my name wasn’t anywhere on the dna kit so I don’t think they can necessarily track it back to me. 

They have an extensive privacy policy. Just like cell phone providers, they don't just give away your DNA to the police or the feds. There is also an area about informed consent if you want to participate in research. It's a really easy to navigate policy. 

This is from the Ancestry.com Privacy Policy

image.thumb.png.b3dc0a804173712a1998bdfac8c302b5.png

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

One thing I'm going to warn him against is to get a tattoo of his significant other's name.  Because he might regret it some day.  LOL.  

My sister has some tattoos, and she's said that some of the places she's gone to will not do names of significant others*, precisely for that reason :p. I don't know if that's the case at tattoo parlors in general, but I wouldn't be surprised.

*Unless the significant other had passed away or something, of course, and the person wanted to pay tribute to them. That would be an understandable exception. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

There is also an area about informed consent if you want to participate in research

This is how I understood it.  You can choose somewhat, but you know everything is being sold.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

To each their own. I love tattoos (I have two small, extremely personal ones of my own) and I think a full sleeve on a guy is sexy. In the final Avengers movie when Hawkeye showed up with a sleeve, I sat up and thought "well, hello there. Where have you been the last several movies?" 

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Does anyone crochet? I know we have a craft forum but it's not that active.

A friend of mine is a nurse in the NICU and they are looking for people who can help crochet baby octopi for the babies in care at her hospital outside of Atlanta (can be sent via mail or she'll pick them up locally).

I said I would ask around. If you can help, please let me know!

https://crochetforbabies.com/2017/03/04/octopus-for-preemies-2-0-free-crochet-pattern-octo-project/

image.thumb.png.c672a99010ef42c4e98702e0363add59.png

I used to. I associate it with my mum and sister, who are no longer here (sister is still alive, but we don't speak). I might try again, but it's been over a decade, so I don't know if I will be any good. 

On 8/22/2023 at 11:34 PM, Annber03 said:

There's also the pride/shame aspect - for all that people keep insisting that poor people should just go use these services, poor people are still judged and shamed so much as it is to where they might be embarrassed to go in there even if they know it'll benefit them. That whole "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality runs so strongly through this country that people are often afraid/ashamed to ask for help even when they could/should. Because to WAY too many people, the response to seeing someone who's poor is, "Just go get a job!" 'Cause, y'know, poor people have NEVER heard that suggestion before, or ever considered that apparently oh-so-simple idea themselves, or anything. 

Ha, seriously, this.  And hell, even if you have the means to cook at home, I mean...when you're poor, maybe you're too stressed out about other things to want to cook. Maybe you're poor because you're working a job that barely pays minimum wage and so by the time you get home you're too tired and exhausted to cook. Maybe you're poor because you're dealing with some kind of financial stresses (like medical debt, for instance) and so you just can't really find the energy to cook right then. 

Or maybe you just want to fucking go out for a meal that isn't something you can make at home for once because hey, at least it's something different and it's one minor luxury you might want to allow yourself for a change. Apparently poor people can't ever be allowed to do anything fun with any money people give them, not even once, no, they must spend it on necessities only and they must have all their finances heavily scrutinized and judged by everyone around them to make sure they're using that money and aid in an "approved" way. 

Meanwhile rich people can blow their money on all kinds of ridiculous shit and when they go into debt everyone rushes to help pull them out of financial ruin, and that's fine, they're allowed to do that, 'cause they've got the money to do so. Apparently that's just fine. 

(To say nothing of how people have actually said that if someone has a fridge or a microwave in their house, then they can't really be considered "poor". If someone has basic appliances in their home that they use for the basic necessities, then they're either not poor at all or at least not poor enough.

And people wonder why poor people get so fed up and just say "screw it" to all of this nonsense.) 

I agree with all of this. We aren't at the food stamps stage yet, but we've been almost homeless before, and making biscuits to eat, out of the flour and butter that was left in the cupboard. I found out my dad didn't pay the electric bill this month, when I managed to change the password for the electric company's site, when we'd been without power for hours, but he bought me that blender jug. So, I'm going to try even harder to be careful with food waste, electricity, etc. 

I remember watching a TV show about charities that helped women to get a nice wardrobe, fix their teeth, and so on, to help them to get jobs. This was something like twenty years ago, but I loved that. I never thought I might have to try that myself, if things don't get better. I'm not there yet, though.

I quoted your post, because a tiny bit of this is about what I was going to talk about, when I opened the thread. I made brownies tonight, and bought chocolate chips, to make cookies. I don't know if anyone remembers my deep depression vents about wanting to make Christmas cookies, but I cut myself on the food processor, a few years ago, and I was also upset over seeing a very long line of cars, lining up for the food bank, when I'd gone to work with my dad, and we were going to look for a tree. I was dealing with other things, too (we all were), and so I gave up. December 2021, my dog could no longer walk, and I was losing it from a lack of sleep. I think I made cookies on new year's eve, but I was miserable. Last year, I made some cookies on a pinch of yum bucket list, and I loved them, but I still wasn't feeling it.

This year, I think I might try to make the dough in advance, once every week or two, and put it in the freezer. If I have the energy/motivation. Every year I try to force that Christmas feeling that might be gone for good, so I don't want to be stressing, and trying to make something in a rush. Then I can just pull out so many little balls of cookie dough, and bake them as needed. 

• Hugs 12
On 8/20/2023 at 12:52 PM, shapeshifter said:

I've been reading fewer and fewer books over the years, and now pretty much only read articles. I may be a retired librarian, but there's a reason those librarian conferences sold so many t-shirts emblazoned with "So Many Books, So Little Time."

Still, yesterday in Target this book caught my and my daughter's eye:
The Midnight Library: A Novel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525559493
https://www.worldcat.org/title/1143637380

I'm fond of saying "in an alternate universe, I was . . ." so I probably should read this book, even if the author doesn't explore being a weathergirl on TV.

I read this, two years ago, and loved it. I'm going to re-read it, if I can find it. Some of my friends started up a book club again, and we're reading Self-Compassion.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I too have been under the impression that the ancestry/DNA outfits are sort of guilty of data mining, and that our private information is their stock in trade.

People share so much anyway with sites like Facebook. I'm of the mind that if I can help cure a disease or track down a killer I'm all in.

• Like 5

I emptied out my backpack last night. Wow I had a lot of unneeded things in there lol. Now it actually possible to carry without  feeling like I’m going to fall over from the weight of the backpack.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, emma675 said:

To each their own. I love tattoos (I have two small, extremely personal ones of my own) and I think a full sleeve on a guy is sexy. In the final Avengers movie when Hawkeye showed up with a sleeve, I sat up and thought "well, hello there. Where have you been the last several movies?" 

Tattoos on men seem to be like huge muscles. Women either REALLY like them or REALLY do not. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Tattoos on men seem to be like huge muscles. Women either REALLY like them or REALLY do not. 

I hate huge muscles, but tattoos it depends.  I have two myself.  I don't particularly care for the look of being covered in numerous colorful tattoos, but it's not an automatic deal-breaker if I'm otherwise attracted.

• Like 2

If I see a really well done tattoo, I appreciate it for the art that it is, but I often wonder about the expen$e too.
If I see a poorly done tattoo, I feel sorry for the person wearing it. 

My sister and my niece are practically wallpapered with tattoos, mostly because my niece's ex is a professional tattoo artist. He does good work, but it turned out that after 10 years of marriage and 2 kids, he was putting all the profits up his nose (cocaine) and having sex with his assistant. STDs were involved too. 
So I wonder what my sister and my niece think of their tattoos now.

I barely managed to tolerate needles for my stage 4 cancer chemo and surgery and post-surgical procedures, as well as 8 crowned molars and 2 root canals. But no way am I getting a tattoo.

My very paranoid and cautious son-in-law did the most expensive DNA testing that includes all the medical stuff, so I'm inclined to believe the data is secure, but he's also sloppy with passwords, so IDK.

Edited by shapeshifter
my usual typos
  • Like 3

So we're back to masking at work starting Monday.  We've always had to wear them if we are in patient areas but in our offices they lifted that mandate a few months ago.  I don't object, exactly, but when they insist (well not insist I guess, more like don't care enough to do anything about it) on keeping the temperature on the floors at a balmy 24c (and sometimes higher) wearing a mask all the time is not in my top 5 list of favourite things to do at work.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I posted a part of the contract you sign with Ancestry on another thread a few years ago. I just found it:

The terms of service you agree to when you submit to DNA testing say that you “grant AncestryDNA and the Ancestry Group Companies a perpetual, royalty-free, world-wide, transferable license to use your DNA, and any DNA you submit for any person from whom you obtained legal authorization as described in this Agreement, and to use, host, sublicense and distribute the resulting analysis to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered.”

They own your DNA in part while you're alive and in full after you die, as I recall it. And they can reassign the rights to any other person or company as they see fit. To me that's more than a little chilling, but if you're comfortable with it, at least you know what you're signing up for.

• Mind Blown 3
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

And I'm one who's not big on either :p. If a guy has, like, a couple small tattoos on their arms or something of that sort, I could be okay with that.

But yeah, I'm not big on the whole thing of guys covering their entire bodies in tattoos. I appreciate the artwork involved and if someone wants to decorate their body that way, awesome, go for it. 

Just not a particular look that really appeals to me personally. 

As for muscles, I don't mind a well-toned arm, but muscles so big that I can see the veins sticking out and whatnot...no. That's just too much for me. 

• Like 8

Hah! My opinion re: tattoos on men doesn't really count as I'm not young. But my reaction to tattoos had always been one of revulsion. When I was growing up, the only men who had tattoos were either motorcycle guys, hoods, and/or former military. Seeing that eerie blue ink on skin creeped me out. Today, tattoos are different color so it's not creepy. I wonder if it's no longer painful as so many have their arms covered in tattoos ("sleeves").

• Like 4

My sister said hers definitely were painful when she got them, though some were a little more tolerable than others, and the more she got used to getting tattoos the easier it was for her to deal with any pain that came with them. Some of it depends on what part of the body you get tattooed, too, and how big or small the tattoo might be and how long it might take for it to be done. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Usually the most expensive box of tissue in the aisle.  I won't miss what I don't buy.  On the other hand that article mentioned a few products I didn't realize were also exiting Canada.  Trying to decide how much I will care about missing out on lean cuisines.  I know my husband is mourning the loss of bugles but the big one was Little Debbies.  Not so much because we bought them, we really didn't, but talk about a callback to childhood when we saw them on the supermarket shelves!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

So we're back to masking at work starting Monday.  We've always had to wear them if we are in patient areas but in our offices they lifted that mandate a few months ago.  I don't object, exactly, but when they insist (well not insist I guess, more like don't care enough to do anything about it) on keeping the temperature on the floors at a balmy 24c (and sometimes higher) wearing a mask all the time is not in my top 5 list of favourite things to do at work.

That you're back to masking tells me there is another wave of illness coming. 

I know masks suck. I have a feeling it is a necessity every fall.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, nokat said:

That you're back to masking tells me there is another wave of illness coming. 

We've had several outbreaks in  two separate in-patient areas and in what they are calling "an abundance of caution" we're rolling things back for awhile to try and nip it in the bud.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

We've had several outbreaks in  two separate in-patient areas and in what they are calling "an abundance of caution" we're rolling things back for awhile to try and nip it in the bud.

It's the time of year when we get vaccinations. I'm thinking it is earlier than usual.

I also think the more we get vaccinated, the lower your work load.

Should probably take this to health. Drags my wonky leg with me.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Usually the most expensive box of tissue in the aisle.  I won't miss what I don't buy.  On the other hand that article mentioned a few products I didn't realize were also exiting Canada.  Trying to decide how much I will care about missing out on lean cuisines.  I know my husband is mourning the loss of bugles but the big one was Little Debbies.  Not so much because we bought them, we really didn't, but talk about a callback to childhood when we saw them on the supermarket shelves!

I don’t even know what Bugels are until I read the article.  I know a lot of brands have shuttered/pulled out in the past few years, but most were local/specialty foods.  And apparently, we use Scotties tissues way more than Kleenex.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/24/2023 at 5:05 PM, nokat said:

There are medical uses, to hide scars.  I want to do that.

Yes, there are. I am still thinking about getting tattoos to hide the scars from my double mastectomy (no reconstruction). I just can't seem to decide what to do and it was  10 years  on the 13th of this month. I like the vines with flowers that would peek out on slightly lower necklines. At first I worried about how they would "age" but now I am old...they probably wouldn't change much. I keep thinking and thinking about it...

• Like 7
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yes, there are. I am still thinking about getting tattoos to hide the scars from my double mastectomy (no reconstruction). I just can't seem to decide what to do and it was  10 years  on the 13th of this month. I like the vines with flowers that would peek out on slightly lower necklines. At first I worried about how they would "age" but now I am old...they probably wouldn't change much. I keep thinking and thinking about it...

That sounds pretty! 🌸

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Ten years! The hell with cancer.

I have scars on my neck that I'd like to hide. Nothing like a double mastectomy though.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I emptied out my backpack last night. Wow I had a lot of unneeded things in there lol. Now it actually possible to carry without  feeling like I’m going to fall over from the weight of the backpack.

I emptied my purse.  Why do I have ten pens in there, and my coin purse is like ten pounds.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

One of my goddaughters got married today, it was a destination wedding and we weren't able to attend, but thanks to the magic of the Internet we've gotten lots of pictures of the ceremony already and will likely get lots more of the reception.  She was disappointed that there was such a relatively small turnout for her wedding - and I sympathize - but it's asking a lot to expect people to spend $$$ just to get the the wedding and that leaves aside accommodation, gift, new ensemble if needed, and so on.

• Like 13
6 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

One of my goddaughters got married today, it was a destination wedding and we weren't able to attend, but thanks to the magic of the Internet we've gotten lots of pictures of the ceremony already and will likely get lots more of the reception.  She was disappointed that there was such a relatively small turnout for her wedding - and I sympathize - but it's asking a lot to expect people to spend $$$ just to get the the wedding and that leaves aside accommodation, gift, new ensemble if needed, and so on.

She should have streamed it for those invited but couldn't attend.  Doing that was really common during the pandemic when people had to have smaller weddings.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Yes, I appreciate the desire to get married in a beautiful place, but I would think unless you come from wealthy folk *on both sides* if you want to have a large wedding, have the wedding some place relatively accessible and affordable and then spend the money on a honeymoon in the land of your dreams. Now, I was a hippie girl back in the day, so my husband and I got married in a no-cost venue (on the University of California Santa Cruz campus) which was really lovely and easy for everyone to get to. We stipulated no presents, please, but if you would like to donate to our honeymoon fund, thank you! and wound up with enough to go to Europe for three months on the $5 a day plan.

• Like 12

I had prophylactic mastectomies ten years ago also.  I have small implants, so I was able to have them placed at the same time as the main surgery.  The plastic surgeon really wanted to give me those nipple tattoos, but I resisted.  I don't think it was a money grab.  He's just really into making people feel better.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Yes, I appreciate the desire to get married in a beautiful place, but I would think unless you come from wealthy folk *on both sides* if you want to have a large wedding, have the wedding some place relatively accessible and affordable and then spend the money on a honeymoon in the land of your dreams. Now, I was a hippie girl back in the day, so my husband and I got married in a no-cost venue (on the University of California Santa Cruz campus) which was really lovely and easy for everyone to get to. We stipulated no presents, please, but if you would like to donate to our honeymoon fund, thank you! and wound up with enough to go to Europe for three months on the $5 a day plan.

Speaking of getting married at school, if we weren't interfaith, I'd totally have had my ceremony at my high school's chapel!  A lot of Old Girls do that.  It's such a lovely place and very nostalgic for many of us.  We did end up getting married (and had our reception) at a gorgeous venue by Lake Ontario though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, nokat said:

I'm sorry, but seeing Kleen-exit made my day.

21 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Usually the most expensive box of tissue in the aisle.  I won't miss what I don't buy. 

That’s funny. Probably 90% of the groceries and household products I have are store brand, but Kleenex is one that I will buy the “real thing”. (I’ve tried the store brand and the other name brands, but nothing’s the same.)  I do try to wait till they’re on sale though. I’m sure I save enough to cover the difference with all my other store brand stuff!

Funny how everyone has their own “special” preferences.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

She should have streamed it for those invited but couldn't attend.  Doing that was really common during the pandemic when people had to have smaller weddings.

Yep. My son and his wife had a Zoom wedding in 2020. It was fun.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

When you are somehow emotionally involved with something it is very difficult at times to think more pragmatic and abstractly.

I have so much been there. It goes to my intestines.

• Hugs 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Funny how everyone has their own “special” preferences.

This was especially hard during the pandemic when my Mom got me to do her shopping for her and had no idea how (a) hard it was to find certain products in the first place, let alone a specific brand, and  how (b) little time I wanted to actually spend in the grocery store - and  I sure wasn't going to 3 or 4!

• Like 5
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

A cousin back home died recently and her funeral was live streamed.  With the time difference we didn’t get up to watch, but it’s the first time I’ve seen this.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2