Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

Snow day here too. Or, as the School District is calling it “Virtual Learning Day”. Whatever it’s called, I’m still in my jammies and loving it. But got to go get the snow off the driveway and off my car before the Big Freeze…

• Like 5

We got maybe 5"...no garbage/recycling pick up today, schools closed. But the US Mail came through!! It's only 30° so the snow is sticking around. So unusual for metro DC area after several years of "snow drought" (as they're calling it). More snow predicted for Friday. ☃️

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

We've got about 3-4 inches of light, powdery snow here North and West of NYC. Cold today, but not sub zero.  Nice thing about the super light snow is that I could use my little leaf blower to clean off the back porch so that Norman doesn't track it into the house.

• Like 11

It's been so fucking cold here in Seattle that I haven't taken a shower since Thursday. I mean in the low teens at night and mid twenties during the day. We have an old house with no central heating, just space heaters and radiators. We can't use anything too high watt because we'll blow fuses. I'm miserable.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 15

I will say I am glad that the snow was light and powdery.  I was able just to push the shovel along instead of having to lift.  I would have had to hire someone to do the shoveling if it had been wet and heavy, as I injured my back a couple of weeks ago.  It's just a muscle strain/sprain, but I did a damn fine job of it, and can barely lift a laundry basket much less a shovelful of snow.  

But my walkway is clear, my car is snow-free, and I'll be able to get out of my driveway when I need to, so it's all good.  Except for that part where it's 20F with wind chills closer to 10F.  The temps have been dropping all day.  I just don't know how y'all who live farther north can stand the constant cold, snow, and wind every year.  (We're meant to be back in the 50s next week.)

• Like 3
  • Hugs 7
  • Love 1

We got maybe 2 inches of snow, plus freezing rain and a "wintry mix"...the campus finally closed at 3, like that's going to do anyone any good when the roads are already a mess. Fortunately for me, this was one of my WFH days.

• Like 8
(edited)
On 1/15/2024 at 1:04 PM, BlueSkies said:

It was an expression I never used to care for but I’m feeling it a lot right now

It is what it is 

I never minded that expression but find myself using it a lot these days in my quest to accept things I can’t change. That’s most things lately.

I am currently dreading all the shoveling in sub-freezing temperatures tomorrow morning. The driveway will be plowed but I have a lot of stairs plus the vents and generator to clear while my husband continues to recover from surgery. It had to be scheduled in winter because one can NOT be recovering during golf season!

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 7
  • Sad 1

I just got back from an appt with the opthalmologist, & then Wegmans (parked in their semi-open parking garage). The roads were ok, traffic was light (thank God), but the parking lot outside the medical office's bldg was icy in sections--of course, right where people get out of their cars 🤬. So I moved to a (barely occupied) section for bank customers, hoping I wouldn't get towed. It was cleaner. Oy vey. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
(edited)

Meanwhile, it's in the low 70s and sunny here.

I saw the footage of what the stadium in Buffalo looked like before they unearthed the seats and remembered why I've only ever visited that part of the country in summer.  Fall would be pretty, but winter is a big fat nope.  I did once go to Boston in December, and nearly cried when I stepped out of the airport.  And apparently they were having a mild winter.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

Speaking of snow I'm guessing it is a lost arts to listen yo your local radio broadcasts for school closings.  I recall waking up early in the morning listening to local radio to hope my school was always closed.  This is like in the 90's/early 2000s.

Guess everything school cancellation wise is via internet, texts, websites. etc....  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Boston is stunning in autumn. It used to be that you could book an inn or hotel for Columbus Day Weekend in NYS and New England, & *know* you're going to see stunning fall foliage. Those days are over.  Now you have to watch the foliage "maps" to figure out the best time 🙄.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A bit snowy and below freezing in Rochester NY, but nothing like the deep freeze in Chicago or Montana.

*Waves* We've been in that deep freeze here in Iowa - Saturday night our wind chill here got down to -43 below (the temperature itself was -15 degrees). 

I didn't go into work last Friday, because we were under a winter storm warning that transitioned into a blizzard warning and we were also under a wind chill warning (which just ended earlier today....though now we're under a wind chill advisory, so...progress :p?), so I was like, "...yeah, not even gonna bother." :p. Even if I had gone into work, though, I wouldn't have been there long, as I guess my workplace shut down around noon on Friday. 

I'm personally fine with this weather...well, not so much the bitter cold, I don't need it to be as cold as it has been these last few days, but I am happy to finally have some decent snow and to have winter actually looking and feeling like winter. I've been sitting here looking at the snow and cold these last few days and thinking, "Where was all of this at Christmas?" :p. 

• Like 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's been so fucking cold here in Seattle that I haven't taken a shower since Thursday. I mean in the low teens at night and mid twenties during the day. We have an old house with no central heating, just space heaters and radiators. We can't use anything too high watt because we'll blow fuses. I'm miserable.

@peacheslatour I feel so damn bad for you. We're on opposite sides of the country...or I'd say, c'mon over for a hot shower!  So, space heaters still don't help???

P.S. I'm reading your great aunt's book, "The Circular Staircase". Very old fashioned, very scary, but not in the terrified way.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to do roast chicken for dinner tonight, but it was so cold that I turned it into stew.  Then I accidentally dumped half a container of turmeric powder into the chicken and spent part of the time scooping it out so it wouldn't be so...turmericky.....Served it with rice.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I was going to do roast chicken for dinner tonight, but it was so cold that I turned it into stew.  Then I accidentally dumped half a container of turmeric powder into the chicken and spent part of the time scooping it out so it wouldn't be so...turmericky.....Served it with rice.

You aren't the only one who has created such interesting, meals thanks to "accidents".

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

@peacheslatour I feel so damn bad for you. We're on opposite sides of the country...or I'd say, c'mon over for a hot shower!  So, space heaters still don't help???

P.S. I'm reading your great aunt's book, "The Circular Staircase". Very old fashioned, very scary, but not in the terrified way.

Thank you! It's finally in the thirties and I took a long shower and made enchiladas and some guac. Ahh....

• Like 3
  • Applause 6

We had a few inches of snow here but the roads were a mess and it's supposedly icing up out there tonight.  Ugh.  And we only just had close to a foot of snow not even a week ago and tons of rain every week like clockwork almost twice a week going back a few weeks now (which lead to that huge tree falling on my house almost a month ago).  We had a very mild, almost snow-free Winter last year so this year is sucking for us so far.  At least the tarp on the roof has been holding up so far, despite a few drips coming through near the front door....And STILL no estimate from the insurance adjuster on the tree damage!

And then today as Mr. Yeah No was washing dishes, the kitchen faucet broke and he couldn't fix it.  So it was sandwiches for dinner and tomorrow (which is technically today now) I'm picking up a faucet and we have a plumber coming. 

Livin' the dream here in CT.....😏

• Hugs 9
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you! It's finally in the thirties and I took a long shower and made enchiladas and some guac. Ahh....

It's getting above freezing today do I can finally run the dishwasher, woohoo! It's on an outside wall so I always worry about running it when it's in the teens outside. My house is on pier and beam foundation which makes it easier to fix plumbing and electrical issues, but it exposes more outside air to the pipes. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

At 8 a.m. this morning in Rochester NY it was 9°F (-13°C) with little wind.

At least it's sunny today.

A week from now (after several days of snow) it should be above freezing.

I've lived with cold winters my whole life, except 4 years in Sacramento CA, where it did dip below freezing too.

I'm going to see my 2 Lambchops in a couple of hours. It's Lambchop #1's 2-year-old birthday. He does not know the word "birthday" or the concept, but his Mommy does, and she has always been all about celebrating occasions, and has postpartum hormones, so I will bring some crayons wrapped in paper.

I have a pair of snow boots, a squeegee, and a shovel in the car.

A couple of times when I got off work at the college library after 10 p.m. I had to use a Kleenex box to clear off my windshield.
Note to self: Be sure scraper/squeegee/brush thingy is in the car before I leave.

Only once did I have to dig out to get home after work, but that was because I got plowed in and was the last one leaving. 

Since I'm no longer a mini-Incredible Hulk, the Lambchops' Daddy would have to do the honors if that ever happened, but it won't tonight.

❄️🌞🌠🎂

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Speaking of snow I'm guessing it is a lost arts to listen yo your local radio broadcasts for school closings.  I recall waking up early in the morning listening to local radio to hope my school was always closed.  This is like in the 90's/early 2000s.

Guess everything school cancellation wise is via internet, texts, websites. etc....  

I once had a two hour delay for school, my dad drove me that day and when I went to walk in, they said they were closed.  Dad had left, had to call him to come back and get me.  Hadn't yet been announced on the radio.

• Hugs 4
22 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Nice thing about the super light snow is that I could use my little leaf blower to clean off the back porch so that Norman doesn't track it into the house.

I love that super light snow.  Denver gets it in the earlier part of the winter, and the heavier stuff in March.  We got about a foot of the light snow once and I got all of it off the car with a whisk broom, and dug out the car with the plastic dust pan thing that came with the whisk broom.  All while the sun was shining.  It was by far not the worst day I've ever had.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I'm staying indoors today. It was 10° early this morning...a good day to chill out. Plus, parking lots have icy areas left by plows & I'm still wearing a "boot" 🤬--scared of slipping & doing any more damage. But the snow on shrubs, lawns, trees looks pretty. It's a good day for cups of Starbucks hot chocolate, made in the single serve brewer. It's not as OTT sweet as SwissMiss so I can load my cup up with mini marshmallows 😁

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm staying indoors today. It was 10° early this morning...a good day to chill out. Plus, parking lots have icy areas left by plows & I'm still wearing a "boot" 🤬--scared of slipping & doing any more damage. But the snow on shrubs, lawns, trees looks pretty. It's a good day for cups of Starbucks hot chocolate, made in the single serve brewer. It's not as OTT sweet as SwissMiss so I can load my cup up with mini marshmallows 😁

Me too with my foot.  Anyone living with this snow and crappy weather feeling the affects of arthritis or whatever causing aches n pains?  I could hardly get my boots on as we have a doctors appt today.  I feel like going back under my covers.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Me too with my foot.  Anyone living with this snow and crappy weather feeling the affects of arthritis or whatever causing aches n pains?  I could hardly get my boots on as we have a doctors appt today.  I feel like going back under my covers.

I did the other day.  Way back when, when I lived in Virginia,  my mom was coming home from work, she got stuck at the bottom of our hill.  My dad went to dig her out and had almost gotten to the part of the road he cleared in front of our driveway when he go stuck again.  So I came out to help, he put the car in park, I was standing at the car door when he took his foot off the brake and the car started rolling backwards, where I then got ru over by the car door.

Decided to sleep it off and went to the hospital the next day where they took an xray and found no broken bones.  Only a sprained shoulder.  Left with a sling and pt appointments. 

When it gets really, really really cold, it and my ankle (another story), it starts aching to the point I need a heating pad.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 3
On 1/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, Browncoat said:

Snow day!  This storm gave us our first significant (measurable) snowfall in almost two years.  It's just a couple of inches, maybe three, although it's still snowing a little, and I'm already tired of it.  I dread the next few days, too, as the temperatures are meant to drop dramatically, and the wind is meant to pick up.  I don't really mind the cold, but I don't like the wind.  

SAME HERE! In MD! I was doing the 💃 because it wasn't a dusting or a piffle! We haven't had any decent snowfall since...2017?

On 1/16/2024 at 12:12 PM, annzeepark914 said:

We got maybe 5"...no garbage/recycling pick up today, schools closed. But the US Mail came through!! It's only 30° so the snow is sticking around. So unusual for metro DC area after several years of "snow drought" (as they're calling it). More snow predicted for Friday. ☃️

Yup! 5" and I loved it! The only thing missing is I wish my place had a fireplace! So I worked from home yesterday since I didn't venture out to dig the snow on Monday! And yup, at 5:45 pm, I grabbed my shovel. Was frozen by the time I got back inside. Waited an hour or two and jumped in the shower! Hot water! YESSSSS!!!!!!!

And I'm hoping for more than a measly 2" on Friday-which luckily is my remote working day!

23 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I will say I am glad that the snow was light and powdery.  I was able just to push the shovel along instead of having to lift.  

I was afraid the snow would have iced over-as there was talk about freezing rain, but nope! It was still soft and powdery and I used my shovel to push it all off from the hood and roof. But it was so cold that instead of melting, the drift of snow that made it inside my car from my boots was still there this morning!

About 15 degrees this morning when I left for work; it's sunny, but 25, but I'm hoping that the sun melted the snow. I have my wet/dry vac, so will use that if it's still there.

For all that I love and prefer summer-when it's winter? I want SNOW! and Lots of it! I remember being sooo excited in 2009-2010 when we got several storms that gave us 2-3 feet--in over 30 years. They (media, of course!) dubbed it "Snowmageddon" as if they'd forgotten the storms of the 80s (1987 where school closed during midterms and I was pissed after studying for my Trig and it was all in there in my brain), and early 2000s-2002, 2006.

I'll snuggle down with spiked hot chocolate when I get home!

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm going to see my 2 Lambchops in a couple of hours. It's Lambchop #1's 2-year-old birthday.

Happy birthday to your little lambchop! 🎂🎈 I love your nickname for him; reminds me of the Shari Lewis show I used to watch when I was little. Safe driving! 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Yes! I've got osteoarthritis in my knee and hip and they burn like fire when it's cold. I wish we had a wood burning stove or a fireplace too.

• Hugs 7
39 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

SAME HERE! In MD! I was doing the 💃 because it wasn't a dusting or a piffle! We haven't had any decent snowfall since...2017?

Was it 2017? That was a biggie. I remember looking out the upstairs hall window, unable to see the road in our cul de sac. They couldn't even plow it was so deep. Eventually they brought in Bobcats to dig us out. When we moved to this area in 1998, we kept hearing about a big snowstorm in '96. I grew up in a small city in NY. Our house was on a main avenue that was also a state road, so it was always plowed all night long during blizzards. We loved hearing the plows in the middle of the night cause that meant this was *serious snow*.  We knew that in a few hours we'd learn the joyous news that school was closed! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Was it 2017? That was a biggie. I remember looking out the upstairs hall window, unable to see the road in our cul de sac.

Yup. All the snow has bypassed us and hit New Jersey, New York, and further north. So while it wasn't 6-8 inches, at least the snow came up above my lower  calf! 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Was it 2017? That was a biggie. I remember looking out the upstairs hall window, unable to see the road in our cul de sac. They couldn't even plow it was so deep. Eventually they brought in Bobcats to dig us out. When we moved to this area in 1998, we kept hearing about a big snowstorm in '96. I grew up in a small city in NY. Our house was on a main avenue that was also a state road, so it was always plowed all night long during blizzards. We loved hearing the plows in the middle of the night cause that meant this was *serious snow*.  We knew that in a few hours we'd learn the joyous news that school was closed! 

We used to live in Chicago when I was a kid. We lived in an old Victorian house that had been converted into three apartments. There was a large family on the first floor, the top floor was occupied by a pair of "confirmed bachelors" and we were in the middle. I remember looking out the window and the cars parked along the sides of the street were mere bumps in the snow.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

I did the other day.  Way back when, when I lived in Virginia,  my mom was coming home from work, she got stuck at the bottom of our hill.  My dad went to dig her out and had almost gotten to the part of the road he cleared in front of our driveway when he go stuck again.  So I came out to help, he put the car in park, I was standing at the car door when he took his foot off the brake and the car started rolling backwards, where I then got ru over by the car door.

Decided to sleep it off and went to the hospital the next day where they took an xray and found no broken bones.  Only a sprained shoulder.  Left with a sling and pt appointments. 

When it gets really, really really cold, it and my ankle (another story), it starts aching to the point I need a heating pad.

The heating pad is my best friend.  Both husband and I use them constantly as they are soothing.  Somehow, the weather lately has gotten to us.  Very damp.

• Hugs 4
(edited)
On 1/16/2024 at 11:03 AM, peacheslatour said:

Duck Brand window treatments (shrink wrap for windows) makes a huge difference. It's easiest found online. It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it, it goes up quickly.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 1/16/2024 at 5:08 PM, Caoimhe said:

It had to be scheduled in winter because one can NOT be recovering during

During golf season.  I had to continue that.  Tell me about it.  I think my husband is in depression since the cold weather up north.  As soon as golf season starts, he’s all reguvinated and raring to go.  It’s a miracle.  He needs another back surgery but won’t go.  Maybe next winter.  He’s either playing it or watching it.  Lol.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes! I've got osteoarthritis in my knee and hip and they burn like fire when it's cold. I wish we had a wood burning stove or a fireplace too.

How do you know if you have these things?  Does it show up in a normal blood test?  I wake up lately and can barely walk.  I know some people have things much worse, but it’s so annoying.  What’s best ..Advil or Tylenol, or Aspirin?  Or a gun?

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 4
7 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

During golf season.  I had to continue that.  Tell me about it.  I think my husband is in depression since the cold weather up north.  As soon as golf season starts, he’s all reguvinated and raring to go.  It’s a miracle.  He needs another back surgery but won’t go.  Maybe next winter.  He’s either playing it or watching it.  Lol.

How do you know if you have these things?  Does it show up in a normal blood test?  I wake up lately and can barely walk.

I went to an imaging place and they took X-rays. I've got it my wrists too but I never feel it.

• Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
49 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I went to an imaging place and they took X-rays. I've got it my wrists too but I never feel it.

Oh .. got it.  One time I went for X-rays of my shoulder.  The Orthopedic Dr. showed me “white” along the shoulder .  It was arthritis.  Right.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We have a new Chipotle outlet on our corner.  Maybe it's time for a burrito bowl tonight . . .

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I can relate, he’s bored in winter and up until his surgery was playing indoor golf once a week at the nearest golf course simulator. I had to laugh because he saw our cable bill two nights ago and was shocked that we have such an expensive tv package.  I explained that the only reason we have it is for him to watch the golf, and if he wants to change it that it’s up to him.  I don’t see that happening.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

Snow melted! Most of the snow gone from the car except for a few ice patches, which I scraped off and now no snow ❄️ will freeze on the windshield or rear windshield.

There was a spear of ice under the rear fender that looked like one of those stalagmites from Luray. So I kicked it off.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 2

Snow mostly melted off my car, mostly due to radiant heating -- it did not get above freezing today.  I think it might tomorrow and Friday before a truly brutal (to me) blast comes in Saturday.  Highs that day are meant to be in the teens.  And of course there will be wind.  There is always wind.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

❄️There was a spear of ice under the rear fender that looked like one of those stalagmites from Luray. So I kicked it off.

Hey...you should've left it on and tried to "grow" a few more. Then you could have played a tune (like they do on that stalagmite organ way down inside Luray Cavern (I'm always thinkin' 😊).

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've had a knee problem, since I was a kid. A doctor said that I would grow out of it, but I didn't. It starts with pain in the knee, moves down the back of my calves, into the back of my ankle, my foot, and up my inner thigh. It's hurting right now, but just mildly. 

I was having joint problems in the cold, starting in 2019, but I've been using collagen a lot (adding it to hot chocolate), so that might be helping. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 7
11 minutes ago, Anela said:

I've had a knee problem, since I was a kid. A doctor said that I would grow out of it, but I didn't. It starts with pain in the knee, moves down the back of my calves, into the back of my ankle, my foot, and up my inner thigh. It's hurting right now, but just mildly. 

I was having joint problems in the cold, starting in 2019, but I've been using collagen a lot (adding it to hot chocolate), so that might be helping. 

Oh Geeze.  Pain is no joke especially since you were a kid.  I had a second spine surgery last year, but I still have pain especially in damp cold weather like now.  Guess we have to live with it unfortunately.  🤷‍♂️

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And of course there will be wind.  There is always wind.

LOL, I've said similar things to my mom before. The weather forecast could be wrong about EVERYTHING else, no matter what they predict...

...but whenever they say it'll be windy, by god, it's windy :p. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
13 hours ago, Anela said:

What type of collagen do you take, if you don't mind sharing?