Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Edible Complex

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Demian said:

I love that you used that clip!!

Maybe I am reaching but these young women adjusted to the wilderness awfully quick (it seemed), and maybe it is because if they didn't learn how to field dress a deer or any animal ASAP they would starve so suddenly they could give Bear Grylls a run for his money...also, I am not sure I would know what part of a human could be eaten, do we treat a human like a cow and go for a rump roast or flank steak? I can pick a steamed crab, been doing it since I was very young but I would be stymied to know what I could eat from a human body.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I love that you used that clip!!

Maybe I am reaching but these young women adjusted to the wilderness awfully quick (it seemed), and maybe it is because if they didn't learn how to field dress a deer or any animal ASAP they would starve so suddenly they could give Bear Grylls a run for his money...also, I am not sure I would know what part of a human could be eaten, do we treat a human like a cow and go for a rump roast or flank steak? I can pick a steamed crab, been doing it since I was very young but I would be stymied to know what I could eat from a human body.

The Andes survivors ate almost every part, mostly uncooked (they shaved it off thinly and dried it in the sun).  It kept them alive. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, AstridM said:

The Andes survivors ate almost every part, mostly uncooked (they shaved it off thinly and dried it in the sun).  It kept them alive. 

I am terrified that I might some day need to know this information, lol.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 7
On 4/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, Colorado David said:

this old meat is a minor nitpick.

It’s not old meat; it’s only been frozen for 2 months. People in the real world get a cow or pig butchered to stock their freezer, so it’s frozen meat for 4 or 6 or even 12 months, depending how much they eat. It’s normal to freeze meat to thaw and eat later. 

On 4/7/2023 at 8:32 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Maybe I am reaching but these young women adjusted to the wilderness awfully quick (it seemed), and maybe it is because if they didn't learn how to field dress a deer or any animal ASAP they would starve so suddenly they could give Bear Grylls a run for his money...also, I am not sure I would know what part of a human could be eaten, do we treat a human like a cow and go for a rump roast or flank steak?

I think they adjusted out of necessity. It helps they have a cabin with a fireplace and lots of available firewood (although it wouldn’t be dry, but whatevs). I thought one of them knew how to butcher. 

As for what parts of a human to eat, I assume like any mammal, you go for the muscular areas. I mean, meat is muscle. Ugh, can’t believe I’m giving it that much thought.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, BitterApple said:

This is gross, but wouldn't the obvious thing to do is leave Jackie's bbq'd corpse out as bait?

Well, there are probably entrails.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:51 PM, Ceindreadh said:

would cooked meat be that attractive to animals that would be used to eating raw meat?

Bears will break into campers or coolers and eat anything that’s edible. I don’t think their palate is that sophisticated.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Shermie said:

I think they adjusted out of necessity. It helps they have a cabin with a fireplace and lots of available firewood (although it wouldn’t be dry, but whatevs). I thought one of them knew how to butcher. 

It was Ben, the coach, who had hunting experience. He taught Shauna how to dress the deer.

They have little else to do other than practice things, too.

• Like 4

And it’s been 8 months.

I’m kind of disbelieving on the fact that nobody has found them yet. I suppose that may be how they’re rescued after 19 months, but it seems like people would have tried harder to find the plane, given that they know it went down on land and there could be survivors. It’s different when a plan disappears over the ocean; you figure it’s gone and can’t be recovered. Yes, I know it went off course and yes,I know that it’s a vast search area. But if my child was on that plane, I’d move heaven and earth until it was found. Again, maybe that is how they’re eventually found, by an intrepid search party funded by one of the rich parents or something.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I did some Googling, and it turns out that 1996 was one of the deadliest years in aviation history. In the U.S. at the time, there were two major crashes: the ValuJet plane that went down in the Everglades in May, and TWA 800, which went down off Long Island in July. For those of us old enough to remember the latter, it was worldwide news at the time, especially since there were allegations of terrorism.  Translating that to Yellowjackets, maybe there were intensive searches until bigger, more high profile accidents pulled the personnel and resources elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see if any of this factors in when we get the post-rescue timeline.

Also, Lottie's parents would've had the money to hire all kinds of private investigators, but maybe they chose not to, and were fine with writing her off. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

And it’s been 8 months.

I’m kind of disbelieving on the fact that nobody has found them yet. I suppose that may be how they’re rescued after 19 months, but it seems like people would have tried harder to find the plane, given that they know it went down on land and there could be survivors. It’s different when a plan disappears over the ocean; you figure it’s gone and can’t be recovered. Yes, I know it went off course and yes,I know that it’s a vast search area. But if my child was on that plane, I’d move heaven and earth until it was found. Again, maybe that is how they’re eventually found, by an intrepid search party funded by one of the rich parents or something.

Without the beacon that Misty smashed, it's searching for a needle in a haystack.  Even with adequate resources it's still going to take a hell of a long time to search the whole area.  Especially given that they'll first have wasted a lot of time in searching where the plane should have been if it hadn't gone off course.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
47 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I did some Googling, and it turns out that 1996 was one of the deadliest years in aviation history. In the U.S. at the time, there were two major crashes: the ValuJet plane that went down in the Everglades in May, and TWA 800, which went down off Long Island in July. For those of us old enough to remember the latter, it was worldwide news at the time, especially since there were allegations of terrorism.  Translating that to Yellowjackets, maybe there were intensive searches until bigger, more high profile accidents pulled the personnel and resources elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see if any of this factors in when we get the post-rescue timeline.

Also, Lottie's parents would've had the money to hire all kinds of private investigators, but maybe they chose not to, and were fine with writing her off. 

I remember the one off Long Island. It was on the news, and I was on the floor with my dad's laptop, still pretty new to the internet, and listening to Art Bell on the radio, with my headphones. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Shermie said:

I suppose that may be how they’re rescued after 19 months, but it seems like people would have tried harder to find the plane, given that they know it went down on land and there could be survivors.

They're not even in the right country. It would have been an American rescue effort searching in America. We always knew the Yellowjackets were actually in Canada, where Canadian authorities had no reason to be searching, but after the season premiere we found out just how far north in Canada they are. They're not at all close to the border with America; they're closer to the Northern Territories, which are so sparsely populated over such a vast area that they don't get to be an actual province of Canada.

It's not that clear how rich Lottie's parents are; Lottie mentioned in the second episode of the first season, the one where we saw the immediate aftermath of the crash, that her dad didn't opt for a bar cart because it was cheaper. They have money, certainly, but there's money and then there's money. They're likelier to be millionaires - with much of that in their home and their stock holdings and spending most of their yearly income - than billionaires. Whatever they were willing to put towards search efforts would have been blown well before they got anywhere close to where the Yellowjackets actually were.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

They're not even in the right country. It would have been an American rescue effort searching in America. We always knew the Yellowjackets were actually in Canada, where Canadian authorities had no reason to be searching, but after the season premiere we found out just how far north in Canada they are. They're not at all close to the border with America; they're closer to the Northern Territories, which are so sparsely populated over such a vast area that they don't get to be an actual province of Canada.

That doesn’t even make sense. It’s 1200 miles from the US to the Northwest Territories; how on earth would the plane go that far off course without being detected? They’re clearly in a mountainous region, which looks more like Alberta/BC to me. I guess it’s tv geography.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

It's not that clear how rich Lottie's parents are; Lottie mentioned in the second episode of the first season, the one where we saw the immediate aftermath of the crash, that her dad didn't opt for a bar cart because it was cheaper. They have money, certainly, but there's money and then there's money. They're likelier to be millionaires - with much of that in their home and their stock holdings and spending most of their yearly income - than billionaires. Whatever they were willing to put towards search efforts would have been blown well before they got anywhere close to where the Yellowjackets actually were.

I was thinking the same thing. They’re not even in the US, so it makes sense to me that they weren’t found.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Maybe I am reaching but these young women adjusted to the wilderness awfully quick (it seemed), and maybe it is because if they didn't learn how to field dress a deer or any animal ASAP they would starve so suddenly they could give Bear Grylls a run for his money.

One thing I noticed on rewatching some of the early episodes was, in particular, how Shauna immediately agreed to be the one to act as butcher of the wildlife.  They needed Ben to tell them what to do, but after that she learned to ride that bike cut up animals and other woodland creatures, as needs must. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, AstridM said:

I was thinking the same thing. They’re not even in the US, so it makes sense to me that they weren’t found.

I think a typical flight to Seattle from New Jersey would bring them close to the Canadian border. You would think that when the plane went missing they would consider them being in Canada and reach out to the Canadian authorities. Maybe they didn't know quite how north they were, but it shouldn't be shocking that they could be in Canada.

My understanding is that flights are all tracked by air traffic control, so I don't get how they could get so far off course without anyone knowing what direction they were headed in. I get that you may not be able to find someone deep in the forest, but not how they were so far off. 

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Thalia said:

One thing I noticed on rewatching some of the early episodes was, in particular, how Shauna immediately agreed to be the one to act as butcher of the wildlife.  They needed Ben to tell them what to do, but after that she learned to ride that bike cut up animals and other woodland creatures, as needs must. 

Some people have killer genes or whatever, and just need the catalyst to get them started. (Some probably never start) Shauna killed Adam without batting an eye, it seemed. One wonders how she tempered her impulses for 25 years.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Shermie said:

Some people have killer genes or whatever, and just need the catalyst to get them started. (Some probably never start) Shauna killed Adam without batting an eye, it seemed. One wonders how she tempered her impulses for 25 years.

She killed him because she felt threatened, so that's probably the idea. She was acting on similar impulses 

Spoiler

with the car jackers.

When they're walking to the plane she lashes out at a reporter too. It's probably the way she's been holding everything in that makes it explode out even more violently now, though.

• Like 3

She killed him because she felt threatened, so that's probably the idea. She was acting on similar impulses 

Also when Jessica was pushing her for the real story - if I recall correctly, she started chopping meat? And then killed the rabbit for dinner soon after. It seems to be the way she handles feeling out of control.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

Also when Jessica was pushing her for the real story - if I recall correctly, she started chopping meat? And then killed the rabbit for dinner soon after. It seems to be the way she handles feeling out of control.

Also, the way she was lovingly and meticulously constructing hamburger patties after Kevin's visit. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I’m listening to a podcast where Kevin Alves, who plays young Travis, is interviewed. I didn’t even think about this until he mentioned it, but he said his character feels some guilt in eating Jackie, partly because she might still be alive if he hadn’t gone in the attic with her. Obviously it’s a stretch at best to blame yourself for that, but I totally forgot about that perspective from Travis

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, jsm1125 said:

I’m listening to a podcast where Kevin Alves, who plays young Travis, is interviewed. I didn’t even think about this until he mentioned it, but he said his character feels some guilt in eating Jackie, partly because she might still be alive if he hadn’t gone in the attic with her. Obviously it’s a stretch at best to blame yourself for that, but I totally forgot about that perspective from Travis

She might still be alive if even one of the people in that cabin went out to check on her that night. I understand why they didn’t and no one is to blame, but I’d imagine that most of them have a few guilty feelings. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 4
On 4/17/2023 at 8:05 PM, AstridM said:

She might still be alive if even one of the people in that cabin went out to check on her that night. I understand why they didn’t and no one is to blame, but I’d imagine that most of them have a few guilty feelings. 

Nat and Travis came back to the cabin at one point after she had gone out there - I think she was obscured so they couldn't see her, but they might not have even realized she had gone outside in the first place.

• Like 3
On 4/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, WaltersHair said:

If anyone is interested, its an episode of Watch What Happens Live on Bravo. And now I'm completely embarrassed.

As you should be!  I watched that episode too, and I usually avoid wwhl.  

And of course, because he’s an asshole cokehead, Andy didn’t let Matthew Rhys talk much and all of his very dry humor went over Andy’s head. 

On 4/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I can pick a steamed crab, been doing it since I was very young but I would be stymied to know what I could eat from a human body.

I have thought about this too.  I wouldn’t just grab and eat!  You get all the squishy veins and stuff.  This show is actually slowly turning me off meat altogether.

On 4/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Ceindreadh said:

Without the beacon that Misty smashed, it's searching for a needle in a haystack.  Even with adequate resources it's still going to take a hell of a long time to search the whole area.  Especially given that they'll first have wasted a lot of time in searching where the plane should have been if it hadn't gone off course.

Back in 1996, didn’t planes have what they have today- a constant ping between the plane and the tower?  They should have an idea of where the plane has been, right?

• Like 5
On 4/27/2023 at 7:55 AM, heatherchandler said:

Back in 1996, didn’t planes have what they have today- a constant ping between the plane and the tower?  They should have an idea of where the plane has been, right?

Yes but Misty killed the black box ping. She, in that moment, didn’t want to be found.

• Like 2

I mean... I'll kind of handwave the whole black box thing, because in my understanding of how those things are constructed, there's no way a teenage girl could destroy it like that. They're designed to withstand all kinds of forces, but not Misty Quigley? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8

. I don’t think their palate is that sophisticated.

I recently watched a program about animal criminals. The bear that broke into a multi-million dollar house in Aspen and ate almost everything in the refrigerator left the inexpensive ice cream untouched.

Surely the sight of smoke rising in the middle of an uninhabited area in winter would have indicated that there was life below?

• Like 1

I just started watching Season 2.  I have to say, this show really does draw me in.  I've been watching an episode almost every night for the last 2 weeks. 

The last few minutes of this ep were brutal!  I love that they didn't have Ben participate, and just be horrified by what he saw.  That's going to be so much more awkward than the post-doomcoming day-after. 

I also thought about them using Jackie as bait for other animals.  But I'd guess if they still had bear meat they would have tried that already. 

I'm curious about Lottie's insistence that Javi is alive.  I'm not sure what to think of this.  The show has shown her visions to be accurate, so I'm just accepting her as someone with premonitions.  But I hope the supernatural stops there.  And I certainly don't want there to be a group of "others", like in Lost, who Javi has been hanging out with.  Nor do I want a secret bunker under the tree stump.   If the show goes there, I think I'd be done.  To me, Lost is not a show to copy off of - it was a master class in how to piss off your audience by just making shit up as you went along.

I don't see how Shauna ends up anywhere but in jail by the end of the season, but since the showrunners have talked about 5 seasons, that doesn't make much sense story-wise.  My guess is that Jeff will take the fall for her, eventually.  Possibly in a suicide note.  (Pure speculation here.)

I like modern day Lottie and Nat together.  I'm not thrilled with the casting of modern day Lottie - it's not a good physical match for me.  But I do like the actress and the character and the not-a-cult-but-oh yeah, it's a cult. 

Misty is a trip.  I don't find her to be a believable character, but she's fun, so I just go with it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2