Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Edible Complex

• Start Topic

the fact that Kevin Alves is 31 and playing a 17-year-old Travis is laughable,

Oh so I feel a bit better about the fact that whenever I thin of Nat with Travis I think of Juliette's Nat with Alves Travis? I love Sophie but there is a real chemistry suck there, knowing he's that much older than her kinda explains it. 

I think the show feels a little weirdly edited this year, even jankily edited, despite the two year gap in production it somehow feels rushed, at least in this one aspect. But I'm really enjoying the pacing, just letting them finally wild out on Jackie's Blair Witch BBQ special was great. Gross but great.

I think we gotta accept that the lack of game is do to the VVitchy. I just refuse to believe there is any other rational non supernats reason. And I'm loving it, this seasons is really giving me Rosemary's Baby vibes, Shauna eating the ear reminded me of Rosemary eating the raw pork. Lotties cult is like the Coven, the reference to Macca root/tannis root. I think the show is nakedly engaging in the genre side of things and I'm always here for that. I think Natalie has also experienced the wilderness coming back, that last scene seemed like a flashback to an overdose aka near death, and I wonder if she finally confessed to Travis that she saw it too? Interesting that Shauna is the only one to not have an overt supernatural experience (so far) either in the past or in the present? Or did she in the attic last season? I'd have to rewatch.

I am bored of  Shauna's daughter she's such a hateful little pill, and the actress doesn't really shade it much. She's contemptuous to her mom, her dad, her boyfriend, and honestly to her friend too. Too bad I can't see her get eaten.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Yeah something is off, but I don’t know what it is.  Still love the show, but I’m wishing it was as good as season 1.

I don't think anything feels off, but tonally it's different from a lot of Season One.  Even after the plane crash, there was an arch humor - see the girls' funeral tributes ("she never mixed her sins and cosins"), followed by their jokes around the fire about whose bad deeds caused the plane to crash.  The girls were all still pretty hopeful and supportive of each other at that point, when it was still early after the crash, and the days were long and warm.  Flash forward to December/January, and they're stuck inside and starving, and it's dark and freezing out all the time.  A lot of that initial innocent humor is gone (and arguably left when Laura Lee was killed).  Now whatever energy they have left is spent griping at each other.*

* Actually, to me they don't seem like they're cold and starving enough.  They have way too much energy for people who are barely eating.  

• Like 15
On 4/2/2023 at 9:47 AM, WaltersHair said:

Why isn't Natalie in full blown withdrawals at the cult? The amount of drinking she did last season would put her right back in alcoholism.

Unless Lottie has some herbal Ativan.

I'm more concerned with how long she's been in those tight leather pants.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 17
19 minutes ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

I'm more concerned with how long she's been in those tight leather pants.

Right?! I would've been out of those things and into the roomy heliotrope pajamas in two seconds flat! 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

They got some humor in with Adult Lottie. The actress is doing a great job with the little bits of comedy.

And I just always generally find Adult Misty hilarious. The kittens on the desktop! Clocking Elijah Wood's muscular calves (one of the things she listed as a turn-on during her date last season)!

• Like 9
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought Shauna carefully making 1 hamburger patty with a spatula was pretty hilarious.

Have you noticed she makes a lot of different meats for dinner, meat loaf, pot roast, etc...I would have been put off meat after eating my friends in the wilderness.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/31/2023 at 5:24 PM, WaltersHair said:

The banquet scene reminded me of The Secret History which was published in the early 90's. There was also a great documentary about The Donner Party put out by Ric Burns circa 1992. The actual Donners who survived supposedly were the only ones not to participate in the cannibalism, so I was glad to see Coach recuse himself. I hope that bodes well for him, but maybe not.

The Donners mostly didn't survive.  It was the Reed family who managed to survive without cannibalism.  This would be a good year to check out the monument at Donner Lake.  It's built to have the figures at the height of the snowpack the year they were stranded.  Usually it's way over your head.  This year, so much snow that you could probably shake hands with them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The Donners mostly didn't survive.  It was the Reed family who managed to survive without cannibalism.  This would be a good year to check out the monument at Donner Lake.  It's built to have the figures at the height of the snowpack the year they were stranded.  Usually it's way over your head.  This year, so much snow that you could probably shake hands with them.

Funny you should mention the Donner Party.  I saw this on an auction site yesterday, words fail me.

Screenshot from 2023-04-03 19-25-53.png

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 8
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Have you noticed she makes a lot of different meats for dinner, meat loaf, pot roast, etc...I would have been put off meat after eating my friends in the wilderness.

It's all red meat too, no poultry or fish. 

• Applause 2
3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

They got some humor in with Adult Lottie. The actress is doing a great job with the little bits of comedy.

And I just always generally find Adult Misty hilarious. The kittens on the desktop! Clocking Elijah Wood's muscular calves (one of the things she listed as a turn-on during her date last season)!

Right now there is humor in the adult timeline, but it used to be in both timelines.

• Like 5
On 3/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, Anela said:

Oh god. They need to stop with the Javi fake-outs. That guy called himself Jay, or J, and I pictured reddit freaking out. 

Of course Natalie faked finding his jacket in the wilderness. That's not good. Travis doesn't need false hope, but his brother is still out there somewhere, dead or alive, and that isn't fair to him, either. 

The end was gross, but we knew it was coming. Someone mentioned maenads and Dionysus, the other day, on reddit. Poor coach. 

Where is the dog? I'm glad that Sam was a hallucination, and safe at school. 

Loved Elijah Wood. "What about your nurses? The all-too-common sadist." Ha! 

Yes, I read the whole thing on that in a Greek mythology book about cannibalism, sex, food, drinking lol

• Like 2

I suspected that Jackie would be the first person eaten, but I wasn't expecting Jackie Jerky so quickly! I knew that this season would be crazy but we are really coming in hot on the batshit. The flashes between everyone at their Roman feast to ripping Jackie's body apart is definitely going to stay with me for awhile. It was like they were mentally so gone that they really did see this as a feast and got themselves into a frenzy, they didn't even see Jackie or her body anymore, just food. I'm glad other people jumped to Bacchus, a very apt comparison considering many of his stories in the mythology involve his followers violently ripping people apart in a hedonistic frenzy, many of the frenziers being young women. 

I don't trust Lottie, its been made clear that just about every character is an unreliable narrator so I am not so sure we saw the whole story. I suspect that Travis might have been a sacrifice and not an accidental death. She might be all new age mother now but we have seen a mean side and a dangerously unstable side already to her adult self. 

Tai really is losing touch with reality, between being sleep deprived and having this scary blackouts, everyone around her better watch out, as her wife just found out. Still very concerned about that puppy dog. 

Travis will be/would be furious at Nat if she ever found out what she did, even if it was for his own good. It seems like Javi has to be dead at this point, which just makes me think he'll survive even more. Is there someone else in the woods who took him in? 

I can tell that Elijah Wood and Misty are going to be a fun duo. 

• Like 10
(edited)
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Oh yeah, why was she doing that?  Is that just to show that she eats alone?

I love how they've had subtle references to their relationship to meat for some of them. Misty still loves jerky (just as she rewatches movies she heard about in the woods). Tai makes herself vegetarian--at least, good Tai does. And Shauna seems to honestly feel comforted and in control when she's making meat, having been the butcher. Like she went to that to calm down.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 13
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I suspected that Jackie would be the first person eaten, but I wasn't expecting Jackie Jerky so quickly! I knew that this season would be crazy but we are really coming in hot on the batshit.

Someone called her Snackie, and that's how I think of her now. 😄 Poor Jackie. 

• LOL 18
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I love how they've had subtle references to their relationship to meat for some of them. Misty still loves jerky (just as she rewatches movies she heard about in the woods). Tai makes herself vegetarian--at least, good Tai does. And Shauna seems to honestly feel comforted and in control when she's making meat, having been the butcher. Like she went to that to calm down.

Yes. And I suspect Natalie is in the vegetarian camp too, or at least tries to be, given her remark to Misty about jerky. She either abstains, or gives in occasionally and hates herself whenever she does.

With Lottie, so far we've only seen her take a brief sip of a smoothie. But it would be in keeping with her current shtick if she's also vegetarian.

So really, the only survivor we have no idea about is Travis.

I think Shauna misses being in the woods. I've thought that since I noticed early in S1 that she keeps a pine air freshener in her car. It's like she's been sleepwalking through most of the last 25 years, living someone else's life instead of the life she wanted to have. For both Shauna and Misty, it feels like the woods was the high point of their lives. I guess it's not surprising those are the two who eat meat quite happily.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
44 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

For both Shauna and Misty, it feels like the woods was the high point of their lives. I guess it's not surprising those are the two who eat meat quite happily.

Though Natalie too said that when she left the woods she had no purpose, so she might also be more aware of the good things about that life. And even in the woods she said she stopped really wanting to drink when she was there. I don't know what it means, exactly, but it seems like even she's aware of it.

• Like 7

Honestly I like that the show isn't being coy about the cannibalisms.    So many shows have this big secret that looms over a show for seasons upon seasons and the secret ends up not living up to expectations.   Just saying "Yeah they ate people' two episodes into season two kinda wipes away the problematic will they/won't they aspect of the show and just dives in head first with the whole "this is what happened" and now they have to live with the consequences and as we know they don't do that very well.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I stand corrected. Re-watched the documentary and realized i was getting the Reed and Donner families mixed up. Anyway you look at it, a terrible tragedy that lingers even today. If the soccer team thinks anyone is going to leave them in peace, they're sadly mistaken.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

With Lottie, so far we've only seen her take a brief sip of a smoothie. But it would be in keeping with her current shtick if she's also vegetarian.

The actress playing adult Lottie said Lottie is vegetarian.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I know its supposed to be shocking or tv shocking at least but the question really is "would you do it in Shauna's place?"   Even without the pregnant being an issue.   You were stuck in the middle of nowhere.   No food.  No game to hunt.  It was either too cold to fish or you didn't know how to ice fish.    And your best friend since kindergarten recently dead was being kept frozen until the ground thawed so she/he could be buried.    You are starving and there is meat RIGHT THERE TO EAT.

Would you cook and  eat your friend?  

Or would you starve first?

Its a fair question.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I know its supposed to be shocking or tv shocking at least but the question really is "would you do it in Shauna's place?"   Even without the pregnant being an issue.   You were stuck in the middle of nowhere.   No food.  No game to hunt.  It was either too cold to fish or you didn't know how to ice fish.    And your best friend since kindergarten recently dead was being kept frozen until the ground thawed so she/he could be buried.    You are starving and there is meat RIGHT THERE TO EAT.

Would you cook and  eat your friend?  

Or would you starve first?

Its a fair question.

Yes it is, and they weren’t even trying to “cook” her. Given the circumstances, probably yes. 

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Honestly I like that the show isn't being coy about the cannibalisms.    So many shows have this big secret that looms over a show for seasons upon seasons and the secret ends up not living up to expectations.   Just saying "Yeah they ate people' two episodes into season two kinda wipes away the problematic will they/won't they aspect of the show and just dives in head first with the whole "this is what happened" and now they have to live with the consequences and as we know they don't do that very well.

There was never a "will they/won't they" in regards to cannibalism. As the showrunners said, they showed us the cannibalism in the pilot. The questions have always been "how and why did they do it," since we were also shown in the pilot that the Antler Queen's group didn't just eat people who were already dead, they killed at least one girl and then ate her.

I agree eating Jackie wasn't morally wrong, since she was already dead and everyone else is at the risk of starving to death. It's not an easy thing to do psychologically or emotionally, which is why they dissociated from the reality of it and imagined themselves feasting on normal food, but that's separate from questions of morality. The men's soccer team that crash-landed in the Andes had already set a precedent; the movie dramatizing that came out in 1993 and since Ethan Hawke was in it, I'm sure at least a few of the girls saw it, just like I did (I was a senior in high school in the spring of 1996, just like most of them). Murdering people in order to eat them, OTOH, is a different story, and we have yet to see how and why they got to that point.

23 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Though Natalie too said that when she left the woods she had no purpose, so she might also be more aware of the good things about that life. And even in the woods she said she stopped really wanting to drink when she was there. I don't know what it means, exactly, but it seems like even she's aware of it.

That's a great point and I forgot about that. But Natalie is also so overwhelmed with guilt about something or other; Shauna was nasty to her about it when they were on the stakeout last season. Granted, the guilt could have something to do with their departure from the woods, though, as opposed to what was done while living in the woods (thinking of that theory that they knowingly left someone behind). Or maybe Natalie is just intended to be someone who's deeply conflicted. Tai seems pretty firmly on the side of being glad to be out of the woods, while Misty and Shauna are in the "that was my best time" camp. It would make sense to have someone in the group who's quite ambivalent.

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

That's a great point and I forgot about that. But Natalie is also so overwhelmed with guilt about something or other; Shauna was nasty to her about it when they were on the stakeout last season. Granted, the guilt could have something to do with their departure from the woods, though, as opposed to what was done while living in the woods (thinking of that theory that they knowingly left someone behind). Or maybe Natalie is just intended to be someone who's deeply conflicted. Tai seems pretty firmly on the side of being glad to be out of the woods, while Misty and Shauna are in the "that was my best time" camp. It would make sense to have someone in the group who's quite ambivalent.

I thought she felt guilty about hunting people - if she was involved - and/or about Javi, now that we've seen what she did in this episode. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/31/2023 at 10:08 AM, BitterApple said:

Great article where the show runners break down last night's episode. It's lengthy but if you scroll towards the end, they explain the weird Lottie/Travis/Natalie sex scene. It's reminiscent of the Man of Science vs. Man of Faith theme that played out during the course of Lost. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/yellowjackets-season-2-episode-2-cannibalism-dream-sequence-1235363388/

That's exactly what I thought during that whole sequence, starting from when the snow fell (🤔 was knocked?) from the tree onto Jackie's pyre. It was giving me complete LOST vibes and all I could think was, I hope they give a better explanation when all is said and done!🤣

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I think its really best to NOT read anything these showrunners have to say sometimes LOL. I mean the most well know cannabilism due to deprivation story, especially in modern times is Alive and those survivors were Catholic and morally tortured by the choice, and also disgusted by eating human flesh, and a couple refused on do it. 

I'm really interested in this whole Javi is alive thing, because I think he is alive, and Nat's choice to convince Travis to give up his search is going to come back to haunt her even if per se Travis never learns what she did to convince him. But then how is he out there surviving is there someone else out there with them? 

• Like 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, blixie said:

I think its really best to NOT read anything these showrunners have to say sometimes LOL. I mean the most well know cannabilism due to deprivation story, especially in modern times is Alive and those survivors were Catholic and morally tortured by the choice, and also disgusted by eating human flesh, and a couple refused on do it. 

I'm really interested in this whole Javi is alive thing, because I think he is alive, and Nat's choice to convince Travis to give up his search is going to come back to haunt her even if per se Travis never learns what she did to convince him. But then how is he out there surviving is there someone else out there with them? 

To me, the showrunners/writers’ comments make the show so much better. I adore them. YMMMV. 

ETA - I’ve been reading the book about the rugby team stuck in the Andes as shown in “Alive” and while a couple people did refuse to eat the human remains, they eventually both gave in due to necessity. It was simply that or starvation. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

ok question for hunters or med students....is flesh edible after two months??? i am doubting jackie was frozen as shauna kept her in that shed and you saw no breath vapor? which mean  it is above freezing. i am thinking everyone cept coach is gonna get severe food poisoning.

I am sure someone has already said this but I feel like Shauna is living her life the way she thinks Jackie would have because she feels guilty about her death.  Probably why in the woods she was happier because at that point she was still living her own life.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
42 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

ok question for hunters or med students....is flesh edible after two months??? i am doubting jackie was frozen as shauna kept her in that shed and you saw no breath vapor? which mean  it is above freezing. i am thinking everyone cept coach is gonna get severe food poisoning.

I think she was frozen. I’m sure the meat (yikes) wasn’t the freshest but since it was cooked it will probably be fine. I think their minds are going to be more of a problem than their stomachs .

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

A quick google search indicates 3-4 months for certain types of frozen meat and as long as 4-12 months for other types of frozen meat. Jackie was frozen for 2 months, so they're good there.

2 hours ago, Guinnessgirl said:

I am sure someone has already said this but I feel like Shauna is living her life the way she thinks Jackie would have because she feels guilty about her death.  Probably why in the woods she was happier because at that point she was still living her own life.

Which makes me wonder how Adult Shauna felt about what Jeff said last season about how he was the high school boyfriend. He knew he and Jackie wouldn't have lasted beyond then, which I agree with because Jackie never seemed very into Jeff and it's hard to believe she wouldn't have met someone she liked better in college.

It's bad enough to be living the life your dead best friend would have had instead of the one you wanted for yourself because you feel guilty or whatever. It's even worse to be living the life your dead best friend wouldn't actually have had because you feel guilty or whatever! (Shauna's subconscious speaking as "Jackie" was interesting on a related point here, when she said that she was smart too and Shauna just preferred to think otherwise.)

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I thought there was breath--on Shauna's side. Jackie's breath didn't show because she wasn't real.

47 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Which makes me wonder how Adult Shauna felt about what Jeff said last season about how he was the high school boyfriend. He knew he and Jackie wouldn't have lasted beyond then, which I agree with because Jackie never seemed very into Jeff and it's hard to believe she wouldn't have met someone she liked better in college.

Melanie Lynsky, interestingly, said she got with Jeff because after everything she couldn't face dating anyone she'd ever have to tell about her past. With Jeff she didn't have to.

Regarding the wind and the snow, it still doesn't seem like Lost to me. Lost clearly had a supernatural/sci-fi thing going on. That scene had the pov that made it look like a forest spirit had intentionally knocked off the snow, but that's how the girls would interpret it. It's still the real world with real world properties, but mystical. Every day, for instance, people claim that God is visible in the world as it is now. Some people would experience that setting on a spiritual level and some not.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Colorado David said:

They've been eating the bear meat that has been kept in that shed about as long as Jackie was, and that doesn't seem to be a problem. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

eta: ok i will let it go for the show's sake. i let a LOT go for Lost, so this old meat is a minor nitpick. I can do without more cannibalism, tho i know there's at least one more victim. did we decide who that girl is?

Just now, Colorado David said:

eta: ok i will let it go for the show's sake. i let a LOT go for Lost, so this old meat is a minor nitpick. I can do without more cannibalism, tho i know there's at least one more victim. did we decide who that girl is?

I don’t know if the writers have even decided who that is yet. We probably won’t find out for another season or 2.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, blixie said:

I think so, too, but if it happens, I'm not looking forward to it. It's unnecessarily soapy in a show that has a lot going on. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

I can do without more cannibalism, tho i know there's at least one more victim. did we decide who that girl is?

No, we've only eliminated who it couldn't be, either because we've seen them in the present or they're dead already in the past. Mari is arguably the strongest possibility now, if one thinks the showrunners would prefer it to be a girl we knew from S1 instead of one of the "new" girls getting cycled in from background/offscreen. In that case it has to be Mari as she has the right color hair and she's not black. (I know they used a stand-in, as is normal for mysteries, but they're not going to radically change hair or skin color.)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

No, we've only eliminated who it couldn't be, either because we've seen them in the present or they're dead already in the past. Mari is arguably the strongest possibility now, if one thinks the showrunners would prefer it to be a girl we knew from S1 instead of one of the "new" girls getting cycled in from background/offscreen. In that case it has to be Mari as she has the right color hair and she's not black. (I know they used a stand-in, as is normal for mysteries, but they're not going to radically change hair or skin color.)

I happened to catch a recent, very  bad talk show that had Melanie L on and she said "Everyone is obsessed with pit girl and I don't understand why." Maybe pit girl was, at least initially, only important plot-wise to showcase the cannibalism ahead.

I also had no idea she was from New Zealand. Her American accent is so good.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

I happened to catch a recent, very  bad talk show that had Melanie L on and she said "Everyone is obsessed with pit girl and I don't understand why." Maybe pit girl was, at least initially, only important plot-wise to showcase the cannibalism ahead.

If pit girl wasn’t important, they shouldn’t have shown her at the beginning of the pilot episode, to hook people, or in the first episode of the second season. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Anela said:

If pit girl wasn’t important, they shouldn’t have shown her at the beginning of the pilot episode, to hook people, or in the first episode of the second season. 

She could have been kidding about the obsession. She seems to have a dry sense of humor. She also said

Spoiler

That the baby would be important in 1996 and the present and that came across as more sincere than the above. She didn't give much away and refused to answer some questions.

• Like 4
(edited)
32 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

She could have been kidding about the obsession. She seems to have a dry sense of humor. She also said

Reveal spoiler

That the baby would be important in 1996 and the present and that came across as more sincere than the above. She didn't give much away and refused to answer some questions.

Sorry, I’m grumpy tonight. I might stop reading anything from the show runners and actors. I’m just going to sit back and watch as it happens. If the spoiler is true, then

Spoiler

I hope the baby wasn’t adopted out, and is now sending the postcards. Or woods baby is evil, or anything like that.  It it seems like that’s where it’s going, if it’s important in the present.  Unless they do something to it in the past, and it comes out. Oh geez, if the baby survived and grew up, and they kill it now… see, two many wild speculations, and too soapy for me, on top of everything else, like Tai’s sacrificing dogs, and intentionally having a car accident to hurt her wife.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Anela said:

Sorry, I’m grumpy tonight. I might stop reading anything from the show runners and actors. I’m just going to sit back and watch as it happens. If the spoiler is true, then

Oh, I didn't take it that way. I have a personal strict avoidance of spoilers, but she happened to be on a show with the actor who plays the HBO version of Perry Mason and I was interested in what he had to say.

If anyone is interested, its an episode of Watch What Happens Live on Bravo. And now I'm completely embarrassed.

• LOL 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Regarding the wind and the snow, it still doesn't seem like Lost to me. Lost clearly had a supernatural/sci-fi thing going on. That scene had the pov that made it look like a forest spirit had intentionally knocked off the snow, but that's how the girls would interpret it.

I think if you build a funeral pyre directly beneath a tree that's carrying a heavy load of snow, the snow's just going to drop on its own.  So, you know, maybe don't build your funeral pyres directly beneath heavily snow-laden trees in the future.  Live and learn.

48 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

If anyone is interested, its an episode of Watch What Happens Live on Bravo. And now I'm completely embarrassed.

As well you should be.  Andy Cohen is awful. 😉

Edited by Demian
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, WaltersHair said:

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I'm with Melanie, surprised at how her identity is treated as a mystery. It seemed like that opening part was there to say that this was the kind of society that would eventually create, one with human sacrifices. We didn't have to think about it beyond knowing we were eventually going to see everything leading up to it. That would naturally include knowing who Pit Girl was, but knowing now doesn't really give us anything but a name that could be any name. Once we find out how they choose the victim, we'll know how she got chosen and after that it's probably just random, like Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. Unless this particular girl does something to make them hunt her, but in that case, again, it won't mean anything until the story happens.

The real bait and switch, I notice on rewatch, is Jackie. Jackie's the first girl we're introduced to as a character and we're immediately seeing her as a teenager dealing with her identity and her life. The coach even has that talk with her about her abilities etc. She's totally set up as our main character in a New Jersey teenager story, then after the crash she has a totally different role. That is, she has the same role, but it has a different meaning now.

• Like 8
(edited)
10 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

She's totally set up as our main character in a New Jersey teenager story, then after the crash she has a totally different role. That is, she has the same role, but it has a different meaning now.

I like this -- it's like Janet Leigh in Psycho:  She's set up initially to be the main character, but then her purpose in the story rather violently (and gruesomely) shifts towards something very, very different.

Edited by Demian
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, WaltersHair said:

Oh, I didn't take it that way. I have a personal strict avoidance of spoilers, but she happened to be on a show with the actor who plays the HBO version of Perry Mason and I was interested in what he had to say.

You put it in a spoiler box. 

41 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I'm with Melanie, surprised at how her identity is treated as a mystery. It seemed like that opening part was there to say that this was the kind of society that would eventually create, one with human sacrifices. We didn't have to think about it beyond knowing we were eventually going to see everything leading up to it. That would naturally include knowing who Pit Girl was, but knowing now doesn't really give us anything but a name that could be any name. Once we find out how they choose the victim, we'll know how she got chosen and after that it's probably just random, like Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. Unless this particular girl does something to make them hunt her, but in that case, again, it won't mean anything until the story happens.

The real bait and switch, I notice on rewatch, is Jackie. Jackie's the first girl we're introduced to as a character and we're immediately seeing her as a teenager dealing with her identity and her life. The coach even has that talk with her about her abilities etc. She's totally set up as our main character in a New Jersey teenager story, then after the crash she has a totally different role. That is, she has the same role, but it has a different meaning now.

I didn’t think anything of it, until the show runners made it sound like her identity wasn’t important, and she was just a hook to reel people in. Like she didn’t matter at all. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1