Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Part Six - The Bounty

• Start Topic

Re: "Pop Goes the Weasel" - PlutoTV is airing "Encounter at Far Point" and I just watched the original whistling scene. It ALWAYS bugs me because, for all his reputation as a musician, Riker finishes Data's whistling in the wrong key. It actually makes my ears hurt to hear it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 3/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I suspect that is not actual Troi but just a Changeling.

I think so, too. Which means we'll have to wait yet another week, at least, before Deanna Troi actually joins the "reunion." And while I'm telling myself to stop speculating and hazarding guesses, because TPTB (which, now, in my head as to this show stands for The Pakleds That Be) have shown themselves quite limber enough to limbo below whatever low bar I imagine they've set, I'll continue:

I think any suggestion of multiple hostages will be a fake out to try to convince the audience that Troi is the real deal, and that there'll be a late reveal of yet another hostage. And I'll hazard a guess that it'll be someone *not* from TNG and that I'll not recognize who it is. So, maybe someone from the first 2 seasons of Picard or that housekeeper/friend from the first episode. 

In any event, Vegas is *not* taking any bets against Troi being a changeling this upcoming episode.  It did set 8 minutes before end credits as the over/under as to how long it'll take the reveal to be. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'd say Worf does, mostly. If I were to revise the line, it would be "I will find him, Admiral. I will bring Captain Riker home."

But then I wasn't bothered by the "he is the manifest" line either. 

Much better sentence. And I agree about the second point. The manifest line didn't make my ears bleed like so much of the other dialogue. Dorn can put lipstick on the pigs of many of these lines and save the writers from themselves. Not all the time, but they're lucky to have him save them from themselves as often as he does. 

And I've picked up there's supposed to be some point -- some development -- regarding Worf saying Will instead of Commander Riker. There'll be some point he'll call him Will, to show they're now on a first name basis. 

But the problem with that is the fact that what Worf called Will was never an issue in their friendship. Will was Worf's best friend while on the Enterprise. Worf was Will's closest friend after Deanna. Besides, what they called each other long after they stopped serving together would be well-settled. There was no reason why this point in time -- season 3 of Picard -- would be the one time Riker would bring that up. They've seen each other, at least occasionally, in the years after Worf left the Enterprise. Worf was at Riker's wedding for [insert Klingon word]'s sake. Just, no. 

Edited by Francie
because "reunion" really belongs in (air) quotes

Assuming Worf survives, he could retire to the Chateau and pioneer the production of PRUNE based beverages with Chamomile notes...

ETA: Added bonus of Modern Family style Klingon - Romulan interaction.

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 3
On 3/24/2023 at 2:07 AM, rtms77 said:

If the Changlings wanted Borg tech, there was a huge Cube 2 seasons ago they could have hijacked. Not to mention 7 of 9 would be a much better person to capture since she was far more integrated with the Borg, I mean she took control of the cube in season 1. If anyone has genetic material of value she would have it. JL was only a Borg for a few days? A week at most?  Not to mention 7’s technology was superior to anything JL had. It just doesn’t make sense.

There is perhaps something unique in how Picard was assimilated that may or may not have been passed on to Jack. We know from BOBW and First Contact the movie that he was placed in a special position within the Borg, and not just left to be a typical drone. So at least hypothetically, there could be something of particular value in his body and in Jack's body.

On 3/25/2023 at 5:40 AM, marinw said:

So did Geordi marry Leah Brahams? The real one?

We don't know. My guess is no, based on Geordi's kids appearing to be 100 percent Black as opposed to biracial. However, I recognized the kids could be adopted, from previous relationships, or the unlikely-but-possible case where a Black and White couple have two children who appear as dark-skinned as Geordi's do.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:19 AM, tv-talk said:

Maybe because it was a great episode that gave hardcore Trek fans what they wanted and set-up possibly a few more decent to great episodes? I have no idea why people choose to pick this episode apart as if it doesnt meet some previous standard Star Trek set with logical plots and lack of nonsensical situations. Newflash- Star Trek has always been basically the same way this episode was, ie you can always think "Wait, why didnt they just use that thing from the other episode and solve the problem immediately and easily?" 

For some Trek fans, part of the enjoyment is the nitpicking.

For some Trek fans, things will be viewed with nostalgia or other biases. It's not possible to watch many TOS episodes (I would say most, if not all) without seeing obvious continuity errors, characterization departures, plot holes, etc. etc. But because those episodes started it all, or were parts of our childhood, or were carried on the lightning-in-a-bottle chemistry between the leads, those things get downplayed.

And for some Trek fans, it's easy to be satisfied with how Trek used to be, but with getting truly complex shows like The  Sopranos, The Wire, and what have you, Trek needs to step up its game.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:28 AM, paigow said:

Riker had his brain hijacked so many times during TNG, maybe it has finally caught up to him....

• Captured during undercover away team mission after his theatrical Tour de Force [directed by Bev]
  • Captured by Romulans  emotionally needy alien, provided with fake son & fake Romulans
  • Addicted to mind control game that only Wes & Data resisted
  • More???
  • ETA: Experimented on by those clicking subspace aliens... sleep deprivation and losing grip on reality

A couple other times come to mind, although Riker wasn't singled out for either:

He and the rest of the crew were given selective amnesia except for their useful skills so they could attack an alien race in the episode
"Conundrum."

He and the rest of the crew had brief memory wipes to forget their encounter with reclusive aliens in the episode "Clues."

9 hours ago, paigow said:

What is his kill count this season? 5?

I'd have to think it higher. He single-handedly killed the Ferengi gangster and all his mooks, which I would estimate to be about 4-5. Then between him and Raffi. they killed all the Vulcan gangster's mooks (but not the Vulcan gangster as far as we know). So I would put that at another 2-3 kills. I don't know if we want to count the Changeling that they were interrogating as well.

28 minutes ago, Francie said:

I think so, too. Which means we'll have to wait yet another week, at least, before Deanna Troi actually joins the "reunion." And while I'm telling myself to stop speculating and hazarding guesses, because TPTB (which, now, in my head as to this show stands for The Pakleds That Be) have shown themselves quite limber enough to limbo below whatever low bar I imagine they've set, I'll continue:

I think any suggestion of multiple hostages will be a fake out to try to convince the audience that Troi is the real deal, and that there'll be a late reveal of yet another hostage. And I'll hazard a guess that it'll be someone *not* from TNG and that I'll not recognize who it is. So, maybe someone from the first 2 seasons of Picard or that housekeeper/friend from the first episode. 

In any event, Vegas is *not* taking any bets against Troi being a changeling this upcoming episode.  It did set 8 minutes before end credits as the over/under as to how long it'll take the reveal to be. 

Much better sentence. And I agree about the second point. The manifest line didn't make my ears bleed like so much of the other dialogue. Dorn can put lipstick on the pigs of many of these lines and save the writers from themselves. Not all the time, but they're lucky to have him save them from themselves as often as he does. 

And I've picked up there's supposed to be some point -- some development -- regarding Worf saying Will instead of Commander Riker. There'll be some point he'll call him Will, to show they're now on a first name basis. 

But the problem with that is the fact that what Worf called Will was never an issue in their friendship. Will was Worf's best friend while on the Enterprise. Worf was Will's closest friend after Deanna. Besides, what they called each other long after they stopped serving together would be well-settled. There was no reason why this point in time -- season 3 of Picard -- would be the one time Riker would bring that up. They've seen each other, at least occasionally, in the years after Worf left the Enterprise. Worf was at Riker's wedding for [insert Klingon word]'s sake. Just, no. 

My guess/hope is that Will sees through the Changeling deception quickly next episode, and then we cut to what the real Troi and Kestra had been up to.

As to the line, I think that most possible variants would have worked better:

I will bring Will home.

I will bring Riker home.

I will bring William T. Riker home.

I will bring your Number One home. (well, maybe not that one).

I will bring the guy who married the woman I had a crush on for like a year home. (OK, that one's right out.)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

My guess/hope is that Will sees through the Changeling deception quickly next episode, and then we cut to what the real Troi and Kestra had been up to.

For Will's sake, or rather for the integrity of his character's sake, I hope he realizes it nearly immediately. While I like your version better, the best I can reasonably hope for is that Will will play along with the changeling for awhile (with TPTB trying to lead the audience on) and then reveal that he's known almost immediately. 

I think it's just her. He'd know right away if it wasn't her so it's pointless for Vadic to even try to trick him. She knows everything about them, judging by how much she knows about Shaw and the others, so she presumably knows that she's a Betazoid. At the beginning of the episode, she said find her someone close to Picard and the crew that was not on the Titan so they just went and got Deanna.

Even if it's a changeling fake out at first, I'd guess she just has the real Deanna somewhere else.

Plus, spoilers (about Deanna vs real Deanna)

Spoiler

the preview for the episode and the trailers give away that it's the real Deanna on the shrike, if not from the very beginning, at least at some point. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Instead it probably has to do with whatever briefly gave Stupid Jack advanced abilities.  

Yes, it bugs me that nobody questioned his sudden River Tam moment. That has nothing to do with Picard's illness. Unless we're supposed to think young Jack was also extensively trained in hand combat. Jack-of-all-trades 🤷‍♀️ however the editing and framing of the scene seemed to indicate that something else was going on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FloatOn said:

I think it's just her

Yeah I would think it's just her and this will be the episode she gets her moments as the other old cast members have been getting. On that note I suspect Data will play an outsized role moving forward as Brent Spiner has always been extremely popular with fans. 

More callbacks this episode!

One of the subtle ones was Geordi's "That young man is your son?" line in the ready room after he beamed aboard. In one cut of The Wrath of Khan, after being rescued from the Genesis Cave, Kirk tells Spock: "That young man... he's my son," to which Spock replies, "Fascinating."

As for the "burgling" of Picard's body from Daystrom, this hints at a possibility from a William Shatner novel (ghost written by Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens), in which 

Spoiler

Kirk's body is recovered from Veridian III by the Romulans who, together with the Borg, employ alien technology to resurrect Kirk to be used as an ultimate weapon against the Federation. The novel is fittingly titled "The Return".

Edited by tkc
On 3/26/2023 at 4:56 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Poor Picard! He keeps giving away bottles of Chateau Picard wine and nobody wants it. 

The original Philippa Georgiou was a fan of Picard wines, but it doesn’t bode well that people keep disdaining it since Jean-Luc took over the winery.

Oh well, at least Laris is a big fan.

Geordi was the helmsman of the Enterprise in Season One-so he shouldn’t be so judgmental of Crash. Although he did clarify his pride in her later on in the episode.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3

During TNG  Riker hit on Lal in 10-Forward... This new composite android should return the favour... after Riker inevitably escapes from Vadic....

How far is Nepenthe from the Squid Nebula Birthing Room?

Did Vadic fly across the galaxy, kidnap Troi, fly back to Daystrom before Titan could beam everybody back?

Any chance that the transport inhibitors created ANOTHER Tom Riker???

6 hours ago, Lebanna said:

Even for junkie Raffi, Chateau Picard was a last resort...

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Lebanna said:

The original Philippa Georgiou was a fan of Picard wines, but it doesn’t bode well that people keep disdaining it since Jean-Luc took over the winery.

Someone who likes fruit juice may not be the best judge of a dry mead

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, marinw said:

Geordi was the helmsman of the Enterprise in Season One-

and the second-best Shuttle Pilot on Enterprise-D... surpassed only by William T. Riker

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 3/23/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ottis said:

Let down #1: The bad gal is going to go scorched Earth on Picard … within 72 hours? I know they have warp, but what’s that, 2 maybe 3 trips? Not very scorched Earth.

Let down #2: Jack isn’t something interesting. He just has the same thing J-L has. Huge miss here.

Let down #3: We go on a side trip to R & D vs. have far more interesting conflicts with changelings in disguise.

That’s a lot of let down’s for 15 minutes in so far.

They are doing well with the fan service. The rest is inconsistent. One thing that puzzles me about Picard the show is its Data fetish. I have watched ST for 50 years, including all of TNG. Data was a main character but IMO was way down the pecking order. This show always seems to reveal him like the way ST:TMP revealed the Enterprise in dry dock.

Picard and Data were often the main focus of TNG. The four TNG movies revolved around them. Both Stewart and Spiner should have gotten Emmy nods for their work on the show. So the focus of them isn't surprising though I am tired of all the Soong relatives.

This episode might have been wall to wall fan service but I loved it. After a mostly disappointing first two seasons, Picard is the show I look forward to the most and reminds me why I loved TNG in the first place. With Geordi back, the gang is all here. Loved seeing the fleet museum. Even Seven talking about Voyager was great. I really hope Shaw gets through this, he's too good a character. 

I'm not unmindful about some of the questionable writing this season. Like, if all the starships in the fleet are linked together, how the hell does Shaw, the Titan's captain and an engineer, not know that?

• Like 4

Minor question. Shaw described himself as a "Greese Monkey". Do 24/25 Century Starships even use greese?  Or is it just a figure of speech?

FWIW, I remember one time on Voyager B'Lanna told Seven that her hair care regime included engine greese.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, marinw said:

Minor question. Shaw described himself as a "Greese Monkey". Do 24/25 Century Starships even use greese?  Or is it just a figure of speech?

FWIW, I remember one time on Voyager B'Lanna told Seven that her hair care regime included engine greese.

Well, Jack said they "were running on fumes" in an earlier episode, and I'm sure gas-powered engines haven't been around for ages. It seems idioms stick around... because if they had used more time-appropriate figures of speech - "I'm a plasma targ" -  they'd get flooded with fans asking what it meant.

That said, unless they've perfected frictionless surfaces - which seems unlikely - then moving parts still need some sort of lubricant. The lift doors, for example.

Which begs the question: Are self-sealing stem bolts also self-lubricating?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Cattoy said:

Well, Jack said they "were running on fumes" in an earlier episode, and I'm sure gas-powered engines haven't been around for ages. It seems idioms stick around...

“The thing’s gotta have a tailpipe.”

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, benteen said:

Picard and Data were often the main focus of TNG. The four TNG movies revolved around them. Both Stewart and Spiner should have gotten Emmy nods for their work on the show. So the focus of them isn't surprising though I am tired of all the Soong relatives.

My answer to this would be that Picard and Riker, Picard and Worf, Picard and etc were *also* often the focus of TNG. As I said, Data was one of the main characters, but for me he fell well below Picard, Riker, Geordi and Deanna and was on par with Bev Crusher. That's partly because he was simply a Spock analogue, i.e. "different and struggles to be accepted/fit in." But that's another thread.

My other answer would be, all of TNG movies weren't very good. The best one was saved by Kirk's presence. So I have never found a focus on Data to be an interesting way to present Star Trek, and Picard's focus on that is weird given all the possible ways it could go.

3 hours ago, marinw said:

*Something* still has to use grease! That aside, sometimes old terms stick around even when their original use doesn't. They carry some of the original meaning but in a new setting. Sometimes that works. I struggle more with pulls like The Orville having the crew like 80s music. That seems really unlikely. Maybe "Wang Chung Tonight" becomes a classic like Beethoven, but not *all* of those 80s songs would. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

My answer to this would be that Picard and Riker, Picard and Worf, Picard and etc were *also* often the focus of TNG. As I said, Data was one of the main characters, but for me he fell well below Picard, Riker, Geordi and Deanna and was on par with Bev Crusher. That's partly because he was simply a Spock analogue, i.e. "different and struggles to be accepted/fit in." But that's another thread.

My other answer would be, all of TNG movies weren't very good. The best one was saved by Kirk's presence. So I have never found a focus on Data to be an interesting way to present Star Trek, and Picard's focus on that is weird given all the possible ways it could go.

*Something* still has to use grease! That aside, sometimes old terms stick around even when their original use doesn't. They carry some of the original meaning but in a new setting. Sometimes that works. I struggle more with pulls like The Orville having the crew like 80s music. That seems really unlikely. Maybe "Wang Chung Tonight" becomes a classic like Beethoven, but not *all* of those 80s songs would. 

First Contact was the best of the TNG movies though I did enjoy Generations. I actually enjoyed Nemesis too though like Picard it was riddled with plot holes.

Those relationships were important but Picard and Data had a lot of prominence. Even more than those other relationships. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Now hold your horses and pipe down! Not to sound like a broken record, but we have to strike while the iron is hot and before we run out of steam.  I don't know if there is a rule of thumb for when things go haywire, but roll down your windows and show your true colors. Hey, it's part of the daily grind.

Before this gets too over the top, someone turn off the lights.

I could go on, but I don't want to be run out of town on a rail.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
On 3/23/2023 at 10:40 PM, greekmom said:

That's why I said, Thomas Dekker would have been a better fit. He's 29 but looks younger.

Dude is 35 and looks like he discovered botox 10 years ago.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:08 AM, Francie said:

Many, if not most, of the viewers who are bathing in the warm milk of nostalgia seem to be Star Trek universe (Berman edition) fans. Two points seems to hit with viewers this week -- 7 of 9 waxing nostalgic about the voyager ship and Geordi's return. That's fine if this season was sold as Voyager-Deep Space Nine-The Next Generation revisit. For this TNG fan, anyway, I've never seen Voyager or Deep Space Nine, and those moments are as dull as watching painting dry. 

I have seen Voyager and DS9 (and would highly recommend you check out at least DS9) and those moments are still very very dull to me. But so are the TNG moments. Just throwing the charcters in there and not having good stories doesn't work for me. It's weird, when the TNG movies came out, those didn't work for most fans and they were similar to this season of Picard. All pomp and no substance. I guess rose coloured nostalgia goggles are super powerfull indeed.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:08 AM, Francie said:

I'll give one example. Riker telling Picard "that's an EXCELLENT use of burgle as a verb." What a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid line.

Oh yeah, that line was horrible. Though I have to say the writers have gotten the characters right for the most part. Or maybe it's just a case of the bar having been moved so far. Because man, were those not the same characters in Picard season 1 and 2.

I even remarked on it when the doctor strange movie came out and Patrick Stewart played Professor X again, that he obviously can still play his old characters in a recognisable way and that he or the writers or Picard just don't want him to...

On 3/24/2023 at 4:09 AM, Tyro49 said:

Tribble always reacted that way to Klingons; we just never saw it from that angle before.

That tribble was genetically modified to be this eldritch abomination. It said so on the plack. Thank goodness for that. I couldn't live with knowing that all tribbles have that under their fur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

That tribble was genetically modified to be this eldritch abomination.

What I would have found funny is if our jump scare first sight of the freaky monster tribble was shown as being from Worf's point of view -- but then from Riker and Raffi's perspective it was just a regular fluffball tribble!

Worf: GAH!

Riker: 😄

Edited by tkc
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Well, that was something, I guess. Who was that Geordi LaForge? Because, uh, no.

The pacing was brutally slow and clunky - the script needed another rewrite. Worf took forever to put in that secret key. 

Nice moment with Seven and Voyager, ruined by Jack Crusher. Seriously, a town full of 20 somethings and they use this guy. Well, considering JJ cast Adam Driver as the son of Han and Leia, I guess this guy looking nothing like Bev or Picard and too old for the part is par for the course. Although Bev manages to look worse - she knew Picard had that disease and didn’t screen her child?

Frontier Day. So, the concept of the frontier is tied up with manifest destiny and other awful concepts in America’s past. I know it’s part of Trek history but would they really use it? it rings like the start of season 2 on Alternate Earth with their celebration of wiping out everyone. 

But by all means, let’s have everyone there. All I can hear is Real Khan saying “We’re all one big, happy fleet.” Now with extra interconnectedness.

Speculation…

Spoiler

So how many Changelings really are in Starfleet? Is this their idea? Is Vadic really the baddie? Who’s trying to stop whom?

• Like 4

All these years astronomers have been trying to convince us that space is vast and endless, but apparently it's a very small backwater where no matter what coordinates you punch in, you keep bumping into old friends. 

This episode left me feeling melancholy.  All the quality and thoughtfulness we associate with Star Trek must be gathering stardust in an exhibit at the space museum right next to Captain Kirk's bones (no, not you, McCoy).

On 4/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, ML89 said:

Well, considering JJ cast Adam Driver as the son of Han and Leia, I guess this guy looking nothing like Bev or Picard and too old for the part is par for the course. Although Bev manages to look worse - she knew Picard had that disease and didn’t screen her child?

I don't mind Picard's son.   He's a vast improvement over the spoiled yuppie they cast as Kirk's son.   "Captain, David is dead" = music to my ears.  (FWIW, I also despise Batman's son, Damian Wayne.)

Speaking of Bev looking worse ... has Gates McFadden's head gotten larger over the years?  Literally, I mean.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I don't mind Picard's son.   He's a vast improvement over the spoiled yuppie they cast as Kirk's son.   "Captain, David is dead" = music to my ears.  (FWIW, I also despise Batman's son, Damian Wayne.)

He isn't a bad actor, but literally 10 years too old for the part.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

Speaking of Bev looking worse ... has Gates McFadden's head gotten larger over the years?  Literally, I mean.

It's all the plastic surgeries messing up the proportions.

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

It's all the plastic surgeries messing up the proportions.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No, her hair's gotten smaller.

I considered both possibilities the other night while watching an episode of Star Trek: TNG.   I don't know the name of the episode, but it's the one where Beverly teaches Data how to tap dance.   It was quite a contrast to see them both so young and vibrant in that episode, then to switch over to Picard and see them thirty years later.  But I was looking closely at Beverly's face.   The red mane aside, her face and head appeared smaller than they do now.   Is it a fact that she has had plastic surgery?

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, millennium said:

I considered both possibilities the other night while watching an episode of Star Trek: TNG.   I don't know the name of the episode, but it's the one where Beverly teaches Data how to tap dance.   It was quite a contrast to see them both so young and vibrant in that episode, then to switch over to Picard and see them thirty years later.  But I was looking closely at Beverly's face.   The red mane aside, her face and head appeared smaller than they do now.   Is it a fact that she has had plastic surgery?

That's was Data's Day, from the 4th seasons. I love that episode. 

I don't know what you mean by her face and head appearing smaller, but Gates was 3 or 4 months pregnant when filming that scene. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I've read recaps of this particular episode and none of them have answered my question, which is, when Worf, Raff and Riker enter the Fleet museum, after checking in, walking down the hall, looking at the exhibits, what was the first exhibit?  Before the Tribble and Moriarty, there was a first exhibit that one of the three looked at, what was it?  It looked like a device from the original series.