Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

Oh, you're right, i saw that...  I know the evidence is pretty in-your-face.  I just can't wrap my brain around shooting someone after knowing them for 3 weeks!  Even if she were the "Monday night girl", that's only 3 Mondays.  I suppose people have been killed for less...

• Love 5
Eric did lead life in the fast lane, but he was single so he could do what he liked.  I would think a young, unattached guy could date multiple women, it might cause some drama but getting killed is rather unexpected!  The pot is really nothing to me, he didn't seem to be into any shady deals with the cars or anything...I don't know.  He still didn't seem to be a likely murder victim to me.

Since we all watch these crime shows, we know that people can be unlucky enough to become involved with just one dangerously unstable person. What I was getting at is that if you're dating/seeing/sleeping with more than one person, the odds of you running into an unstablle person like Katrina are higher.  I got the sense that's what Eric's siblings kind of worried about.  You're right, as an available single man, there's nothing wrong with dating more than one person, but unfortunately, you only have to be wrong once for the price to be a heavy one.

• Love 3

If I had been the first lady they tried to pin it on, the older one, I'd be suing the shit out of this show.  Way to make her look like a complete psycho.  Even though it was well established that she did not do it, the fact that the entire family tagged her for it is bad enough.  With no reason other than.....she was an older woman.

• Love 1

Since we all watch these crime shows, we know that people can be unlucky enough to become involved with just one dangerously unstable person. What I was getting at is that if you're dating/seeing/sleeping with more than one person, the odds of you running into an unstablle person like Katrina are higher.  I got the sense that's what Eric's siblings kind of worried about.  You're right, as an available single man, there's nothing wrong with dating more than one person, but unfortunately, you only have to be wrong once for the price to be a heavy one.

This is true for both men and women, but when the story is about a woman who's murdered by one of her several lovers, there's always an undercurrent of toungue-clucking and pearl-clutching that I didn't pick up on with this story.  She's always got a "shocking secret" that's..."Coming up!" whereas with Eric it was all very matter-of-fact that he went home with a different girl each night.  His siblings were classy; they didn't make a big deal over his lifestyle from a moral perspective, and neither did the show.  Had Eric been a woman, I'm not sure it would have been the same situation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

I really loved the cop who investigated this murder.  He was so compassionate and dedicated.  If he hadn't done the tedious work of testing all the guns that had been confiscated, they would never have had enough evidence to convict.

• Love 3
(edited)

This is true for both men and women, but when the story is about a woman who's murdered by one of her several lovers, there's always an undercurrent of toungue-clucking and pearl-clutching that I didn't pick up on with this story. She's always got a "shocking secret" that's..."Coming up!" whereas with Eric it was all very matter-of-fact that he went home with a different girl each night. His siblings were classy; they didn't make a big deal over his lifestyle from a moral perspective, and neither did the show. Had Eric been a woman, I'm not sure it would have been the same situation.

Yes to all of this. Handsome single man with money to burn? Of course he's playing the field, having fun, enjoying himself. I kept waiting for the parade of potential suspects but there were only two. When it's a single female victim? We get flowcharts with pics of all of her past lovers and ten red herrings and people commenting on her behavior and risk taking.

Funny how that works.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

Aw, a reference from 1977. ;)

I wonder what the average age is around here, anyway. I skew the numbers north myself but don't think there are a whole lot of members in their late teens to 20s, either.

• Love 4

Aw, a reference from 1977. ;)

I wonder what the average age is around here, anyway. I skew the numbers north myself but don't think there are a whole lot of members in their late teens to 20s, either.

Do millennials have the attention span to even watch a TV series?   :-)

• Love 1

I'm a GenXer age-wise.

Katrina either brought the gun with her to Eric's apartment or she went back to her apartment (since they lived in the same building), got the gun, and re-entered Eric's apartment.  Either way, she seems very impulsive...killing someone she had known for three weeks, not throwing the gun in a body of water, and leaving the serial number on the gun.

She doesn't strike me as someone with the intellectual capability to have gotten a job with the NIH.

• Love 4

She doesn't strike me as someone with the intellectual capability to have gotten a job with the NIH.

According to the local news media, Katrina Renee Ben, now 37, was a traveling nurse from Silver Creek, Mississippi. She told police she worked for the NIH, but she also said she never owned a gun and that that pot dealer was the last person to see Eric Somuah alive.

I didn't understand why Eric, a Jaguar/Range Rover salesman in Bethesda, Maryland, was starting a staffing business for home healthcare aides. Was that legit, or just a pickup line?

• Love 1
(edited)

The show said Angelina Rodriguez targeted specific men, pretending to be what she thought they wanted. And she moved really fast—she met Frank in February; they married in April. According to the Los Angeles Times, Angelina got pregnant three months after meeting Tom Fuller, who became her second husband. (He's the father of both Autumn and the 13-month-old baby who died.)

I know about her relationships. I was just commenting on how these guys could even glance at her. She is not at all attractive. I am surprised she even got any guy to look at her for longer than five minutes.

Milkshakes and green gatorade, both of those have been done and seem suspcious.  Try something new, people!

I am going way back. Does anyone else remember a segment on some show about a woman who poisoned her husband with anti-freeze in his milkshake drinks? I think they were those healthy protein shakes. He survived, but he ended up with severe kidney damage and he has nerve damage. I think she was let out on bail and she fled. It might have been on Unsolved Mysteries. I am talking about the 80s here.

All I know is, the most dangerous time for females is when they are around 8 months pregnant. Also, don't allow your partner to drive you to a cliff to "see the sunset, especially if he has never done that and there are problems in your relationship.  Yeah, I have learned a lot from watching these kind of shows.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
(edited)

Barry Beach loses at Montana Supreme Court

Beach previously applied for clemency in 2014 but the parole board denied it. That decision led Montana state legislators this spring to pass a new law taking clemency out of the hands of the parole board and giving it to the governor.

Montana Governor Steve Bullock has previously supported clemency for Beach. His lawyers say they will apply for clemency at the earliest opportunity once the new law takes effect October 1st.

This is the one "true crime drama" case that seriously drives me up a tree, so I check on it from time to time.  The entire Montana Parole Board should be fired, in my opinion, and if a state's judicial system ever was in need of investigation, it's Montana because I firmly believe there's some seriously shady crap (blackmail, corruption) at work behind the scenes.  I hope Governor Bullock does the right thing and grants Barry clemency.  Then I hope some heads start to roll, even all the way up to the Montana Supreme Court.  The only legal authority that I would trust in this matter would be the judge who got Barry released for the 18 months before the decision was overturned, sending Barry back to prison. 

i believe the witness who came forward in that hearing.  I believe that Kim was murdered by that group of girls and that powerful political forces have conspired to keep Barry Beach in prison.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

"Dangerous Liaisons" originally aired Thursday, June 4, 2015, at 8 p.m.

I laughed at the end when Abigail Simon said she should've plead guilty and served five months in jail. Instead, she admitted to having sex with a 15-year-old boy on multiple occasions but insisted she was the "victim."

I finally got around to watching this episode, and Abigail Simon also proved that she lacked credibility by how she handled her supposed "victim" claim.  I can plausibly buy the possibility of a high school student threatening her.  Many years ago, I taught in a Catholic elementary school.  I had a parent leave a very abusive/borderline threatening message on my work voicemail.  It truly did scare the crap out of me...to the point that I no longer wanted to be alone in the same room with this parent.  I played this voicemail for another teacher, and she told me not to erase the voicemail, go directly to the principal, and give her my access code so she could listen to it.  I did, the principal listened to it, took the matter to the pastor, and the pastor told the parent not to have any sort of contact with me for the rest of the year.  The parent complied, and all was fine.

I'm quite sure there is some sort of protocol for dealing with threats to teachers in high school, just like there was in my elementary school.  The fact that Abigail didn't go to another staff member or her principal was the first clue that her claim was bogus.  The second red flag that indicated bogusness was her meeting the kid at her condo for tutoring.  Major, major, major no-no in teaching...because you're asking for trouble, especially if the student is in high school.  It's best to tutor in a public place or have someone else (besides you and the student) in the residence where you're tutoring in order to avoid any possible appearance of an inappropriate situation.

• Love 2

That Chad Wallin-Reed case is one of my most memorable episodes, for sure. I seriously could not believe that entire family: Chad, his "poor little wife" and their kids, for whom I DO feel somewhat sorry, by the way, I mean they ARE kids, but I hated the way the show kind of exploited them.

But that POS lied about being a Ranger and all the people he had killed in his imaginary head war and his extreme love of guns... that crazy sign, just, ugh, the whole deal.

Which leads me to say something which will probably be unpopular, but for all that is good and holy, WHY IN THE HELL did those kids who were intelligent keep messing around with that guy's stuff??? After reading that sign, I would have known he was probably a crazy person and would have stayed far away from him.

They did not deserve ANYTHING of what they got, but oh dear gods, why couldn't they just stay away from the crazies?????

• Love 2

Which leads me to say something which will probably be unpopular, but for all that is good and holy, WHY IN THE HELL did those kids who were intelligent keep messing around with that guy's stuff??? After reading that sign, I would have known he was probably a crazy person and would have stayed far away from him.

I said the same thing in a post somewhere up thread.  I see stuff like that I am not inclined to mess with the owners.  Plus being out in such a remote area you just don't mess with people.  If I were in the home and someone drove up my driveway in the middle of the night I would be totally freaked out.  Would I get in the car and chase them no.  Would I shoot at them if they got out their car yes.

Aired 7/10

I'll admit, I believed Cindy until the show got to the DEA wire in the middle of the episode.  The killing of her husband's "business" partner (and I use that term loosely) did seem planned.

However, I do think it was a stretch for the prosecution to infer that Cindy had become pregnant by the guy after Orly's death.  i do think that it COULD have happened, but the prosecution didn't provide sufficient evidence to me that it DID happen.  Innuendo is not evidence.

I aso think that Orly was involved in some shady stuff, but that's still a leap to infer that Cindy was shagging  IIan.

• Love 3

What bothered me most about this one was that the lead-in gave the whole thing away! Without that, I wouldn't have suspected the wife of any sort of murder.  I just couldn't imagine a woman who would talk on the phone 30 times a all day to a man she thought had shot her baby and killed her husband, much less invited him over to help move.  The police may have told her to "stay in touch," but I don't call my best friends that much in a month.

• Love 4

I was pretty suspicious of her from the start just because of the way her husband died, I figured they were into some bad shit, and then the pain management clinic confirmed it for me.

• Love 6
(edited)

One look at Cindy and I thought she was involved in her husbands murder.

Yes, I am suspicious that way.  :-)

The "pain management clinic" was the topper for me - shady, shady shade shade.

ETA - she probably conspired with the partner to kill her hubby and then offed him, too.  No loose ends.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

One look at Cindy and I thought she was involved in her husbands murder.

Yes, I am suspicious that way.  :-)

The "pain management clinic" was the topper for me - shady, shady shade shade.

ETA - she probably conspired with the partner to kill her hubby and then offed him, too.  No loose ends.

In what way, walnutqueen?  I've often been told that I have a pessimistic outlook, but I didn't get that vibe right away.  What made you suspicious right out of the gate?

• Love 1

What bothered me most about this one was that the lead-in gave the whole thing away! Without that, I wouldn't have suspected the wife of any sort of murder. I just couldn't imagine a woman who would talk on the phone 30 times a all day to a man she thought had shot her baby and killed her husband, much less invited him over to help move. The police may have told her to "stay in touch," but I don't call my best friends that much in a month.

That's why I no longer watch the lead-in. I dvr and then fast forward through the first few minutes. I don't know why they do that. 48 Hours is the worst. What's the point of a mystery show if you give it all away in the opener?

• Love 3

In what way, walnutqueen?  I've often been told that I have a pessimistic outlook, but I didn't get that vibe right away.  What made you suspicious right out of the gate?

I think it was a fleeting expression that crossed her face during the intro, and, of course, because it's always the spouse!  :-)

• Love 2

OH GOOD...someone started a thread about this ep!  Thank you :)

Same as above, I felt so bad for Cindy at first.  Umm...I can only imagine the terror/rage someone in her position might feel, and how it might get to you and mess with your head.  But while undoubtedly tempting, the price of "revenge murder" just isn't worth it...her son would've been better off with his mom around and his dad's killer loose! (if that guy even was the killer)

And yeah, so many questions.  1) Why would a hairdresser start a pain management clinic? *cough* pill mill *cough*  Totally shady.  2) Why would you tell the guy servicing computers at your new "business" THAT YOU KILLED SOMEONE?  I wouldn't even tell my own sister/best friend that!  And even if that guy wasn't a DEA agent who just happened to be wearing a wire...if he were a normal person you'd think he'd go running to the cops anyway.

If I were Cindy I wouldn't have gone on Dateline at all.  It was so freaking obvious she killed the business partner...I know she wasn't going to admit it, but watching her"re-interpret" her own words was pathetic!

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, I had no idea that being a hair dresser qualified someone to start a pain management clinic. Yikes. That was almost as shocking as this woman killing her husband's business partner in cold blood.

So I wonder who Cindy got pregnant by after her hubby died? She was quite insulted that the police thought it was the business partner, but it also seemed like it was quite soon after her hubby died. And why in the world would she need to go to the hospital after miscarrying at 3 weeks? Three weeks? Aren't there lots of women who would not even know they were pregnant at that point, and it would just be like a late period? In any case why would she text the guy that she thinks killed her husband - the guy who has his own family?

In any case she is where she belongs. Not only did she ensure that the daughter of her husband's business partner would grow up without a father (she was so proud of that) she ensured that her own son would grow up without his mother. But I am sure he is better off without her influencing him, so in his case I think he is lucky.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5

That's why I no longer watch the lead-in. I dvr and then fast forward through the first few minutes. I don't know why they do that. 48 Hours is the worst. What's the point of a mystery show if you give it all away in the opener?

This is what I do as well. I don't enjoy having the entire episode spoiled. The lead-ins for 48 Hours are so long!!

As for this episode, I wish there was more information. I would have liked to hear more interviews with other people, and more details about the case. I felt like the bulk of the episode was the interview with the wife.

• Love 4

And yeah, so many questions. 1) Why would a hairdresser start a pain management clinic? *cough* pill mill *cough* Totally shady.

None of it made sense to me. A mechanic and a hairdresser had the capital to start multiple businesses and invest in real estate, and had $180k in cash for various "business transactions" somehow? Okay, then. Nothing suspicious there.

They never did explain who killed the husband. I know it's unsolved, and I'm not convinced that she was responsible for that, but I'd easily believe that she was less than forthcoming, lest she shed light on their shady dealings.

• Love 5

Yeah, I always look at what the person they're interviewing is wearing (ie prison scrubs) and it gives it away!  I was almost mad this time they pulled the "scarf trick".  I mean, I don't actually WANT to know, but...?

• Love 1

Yeah I fell for the scarf over the prison jumpsuit too. 

I'm not sure who killed her husband.  I thought at first she did it with the partner and then she killed the partner to tie up lose ends (as mentioned by poster up thread) but by the end of it I don't think she did.  I think she really killed the partner because she knew/thought he was behind it.  And she took her revenge.  I think she has watch too many Action movies where the hero gets his/her revenge and gets away with it. 

And why did she tell that uncover guy all that?  Huh?

• Love 6

Not sure where else to put this.

I know that with the weird sudden shifts in dAteline episodes being put hither and yon whenever NBC needs to fill a scheduling hole.  Plus the fact that they are making two hour shows out of old one hour ones and vice versa, Starting a thread with all the info is not easy.

But could we at least try to make sure the initial date the show airs is included somehow?  I check the schedule by date and if it sounds or says it is a repeat I can go about my business. Doesn't mean I won't check said thread but it helps keep things neat and clean as it were. 

I've started all of one or maybe two threads.  It was pretty straightforward but again that was back when Dateline was on once a week and during the regular season.  But is the date area still available even if you don't feel you can follow the episode guidelines?  I have no idea.  Anyhow I'll step off my pedantic soap box know and leave you with your memories of Keith Morrison's creepy as fuck cadence ringing through your heads.

• Love 2

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't generate much sympathy for Cindy, who was in the middle of such a tragic situation.  Something just doesn't ring true, especially when she was on the news pleading for people to come forward with information.  Just seemed off.

• Love 3

Oh I sure did stay home on a Friday night and watched a Dateline. The editors tried to make the case more interesting, like teasing us with a LESBIAN LOVE TRIANGLE (oh my!), but I thought it was a real dud overall.  The worst line regarding a hidden camera:  "hopefully it caught a portrait of the killer suitable for framing..."  I mean, I'm unemployed while there is someone who gets paid to write lines like that.

And with all due respect to the deceased, it isn't her fault after all, but Chiquita is a very silly sounding name.  I felt like the they kept using every excuse to say Chiquita instead of a pronoun, just because it's kinda fun to say.

• Love 4

I honestly don't know how I feel about the police lying to suspects during interrogations: You failed the polygraph. We have your fingerprints/DNA at the scene. We have a CC video of you. A witness saw you there.

On one hand, if the suspects are innocent, they should realize the cops are making it up. On the other hand, that's how false confessions are coerced.

• Love 5
(edited)

I found so much of the husband's story questionable. Starting with Chiquita calling him to bring her dinner. Their house is 25 minutes away from her office - why would she not just order take out rather than wait for him to drive half an hour to her office, not including the time it would take on top of that to get the food. I assume the cops checked where he went for the food? But he could have been setting up his alibi. He said he went to a MacDonalds where he lives and then drove to her office. Wouldn't the food be stone cold by the time he arrived at her office 25 minutes later? If he was really going to take her food, why would he not go somewhere close to where she worked?

He also said he took money downstairs to a client for her, and that she had another client who was supposed to be coming to her office after he left at 8:30. Her assistant said she never saw clients after hours, and if she did the assistant would know about it. And why would Chiquita being giving money to a client - shouldn't they be giving money to her? Sounds like the husband was trying to cast suspicion on some supposedly shady clients who quite likely did not even exist - at least in the context of that evening.

I have seen other shows where the police lie to someone they are questioning trying to rattle them. The thing is, if you have nothing to hide and are telling the truth it won't rattle the innocent person and that person will stick to their story. In this case their lie was pretty harmless and did catch him up that he was on the street where her wallet was found.

As usual with Dateline though,  I think they left out a lot of things that would have pointed to his guilt.

And I have to agree about the woman's unfortunate name - everytime they said Chiquita my brain added on 'banana'.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 3
I found so much of the husband's story questionable.

I did too, but, I'm sorry, the judge was a freakin' moron to not recuse himself/herself because Chiquita had clerked for this judge.  If i were the husband, I'd be pitching a fit about that, too.

• Love 4
(edited)
I'm not sure who killed her husband.  I thought at first she did it with the partner and then she killed the partner to tie up lose ends (as mentioned by poster up thread) but by the end of it I don't think she did.

Agreed. I absolutely think she took her revenge, but I don't believe she was involved in Orly's murder.  Whatever Cindy is as a person, I do think she loves her son, and I don't think that she would have been OK with having her husband offed while their sun was in the vicinity of the crime.

Edited by Ohmo
(edited)

I worked in the legal field in downtown Baton Rouge for 20 years, so the Dateline telling of this story piqued my interest.  It made no sense that Harris got burgers from McD's in Baker, as was shown on the receipt; that store is right by his house, but there's a McD's downtown BR that is less than 5 minutes from her office.  (I can't remember what all was open in January '09 downtown, but there were probably only 2 other viable options for quick takeout then for after 6 p.m., so her asking for him to bring her food isn't out of the realm of normal.  The mini grocery store that is now in the base of her office building wasn't open in '09.)  So yeah, it was odd or just stupid to bring her cold food.

Chiquita's assistant seems to be reliable, so I believe her that no clients were scheduled to come by that night.  However, there are plenty of reasons why she could have been giving clients money; she did civil work too, having won a sizable judgment mentioned in the show, and worked on the ladies' adoption.  A client could be owed a settlement check or a refund on filing fees.  I just doubt anyone was scheduled to come downtown, after business hours, unscheduled.  The assistant would have likely had the check prepared and copies/receipts for the check prepared to paper up the money trail, as is required.

I'm not sure about the recusal issue.  Dateline made it seem like Harris' first attorneys, the Unglesbys, didn't ask for recusal.  However, there were reports that Lewis Unglesby (the father of the guy on Dateline and a big time defense attorney...he rep'd former Gov. Edwards on his last federal criminal trial, among others, so we're not talking some wet behind the ears public defender) did ask Judge White to recuse herself.  It is unclear on what grounds, though.  It may have just been because she clerked for White, and not because of the representation issue, but I haven't found the decision yet.  It's hard to believe that the Unglesbys couldn't have found out who Chiquita represented and/or that she made a campaign contribution, however.  Those are accessible facts on line or going to the courthouse.  Judge White declined to recuse herself, and, according to the legal assistant's comments in media, had the approval of the state supreme court.  Again, I can't find that ruling, and am interested to see what actually happened there.  Just from personal experience, I was before Judge White when she was on the City Court bench, and she was always fair, organized, and prepared, so I have a hard time dismissing her conclusion without more information.  I couldn't say the same for a large number of other members of the Baton Rouge judicial community.

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 7

Agreed. I absolutely think she took her revenge, but I don't believe she was involved in Orly's murder.  Whatever Cindy is as a person, I do think she loves her son, and I don't think that she would have been OK with having her husband offed while their sun was in the vicinity of the crime.

My theory is that Cindy killed the business partner because they were in cahoots to knock off her hubby, but the partner's goons messed up and almost took out the kid as well. She went all mama bear on his ass.

• Love 2

Chiquita's assistant seems to be reliable, so I believe her that no clients were scheduled to come by that night.  However, there are plenty of reasons why she could have been giving clients money;

I thought it was odd that the husband said she was giving clients money - it made me think he meant cash which is what I thought was odd. You'd think if it was a cheque he would have said cheque but maybe that is just my suspicious mind. Also I thought the assistant said that they NEVER had clients come to the office at night. I no longer have the episode on my PVR to check so could be wrong.

• Love 1

This episode was really boring.  I figured that the husband did it when they were interviewing everybody BUT him, so I thought, "oh, he's in lockup after being found guity". Yawn.  

What are your thoughts on whether the murder was planned or just happened in a fit of anger?   And hubby was pretty good at cleaning himself up and not dripping blood all over the office building when he made his escape!

(edited)

Wow. So Stephanie was leaving, Dale, her husband for the other guy, - dance guy.  Then dance guy broke it off and the husband took her back? At least for those one or two days before she "went missing." The restraining order for spanking a kid was a little brutal imo.. right before she told him she is leaving him. Then she tried to cancel it, but you cant really unring the bell in that case.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

You are right CD. I'm just now watching the end. Yikes. The boyfriend didn't seem like the one to me because he was already leaving. He (bf) was out. He had no reason to kill her. Same for his wife. I wish she hadn't asked the judge to hold the restraining order bc that helped Dale's case.. The ex gf added a lot too imo. 

This was a repeat from 2012, so I didn't watch it again. But, he got 112 years in prison for her murder. Pretty sure the jury got it right. He took her back just long enough to kill her, in my opinion.

Agreed AND he only had her back in the first place bc the other dude called it off. He (Dale) had to have known that.

I remember this story, but I think it was on another show.  Her friend pulled attention through the whole story, and there were constant shots of her friend dancing (quite amateurishly) through the entire segment.  That stuck with me so strongly, I almost couldn't watch this episode.

• Love 2