Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

"Return to the Lonely Road." Oh my. So much to unpack. There's an awful lot about this case that didn't make sense, primarily because Dateline didn't address it. For example, where were Dana's and Deb's parents during all of this? No mention of them. Brittany went to live with her paternal grandmother even though her parents weren't married. She seemed to have a relationship with her mother's sister, Deb, but then why didn't she ask her how her mother died if her father and grandmother were unwilling to tell her?

I'm not sure Russell Atkins was guilty. The defense made a pretty good argument that a murderer wouldn't have been banging on doors at 3:00 in the morning trying to get help. The prosecution's case was entirely speculative. On the other hand, I distrust lawyers who have man-buns. And the fact that they found a pool cue nearby is awfully suspicious.

Then on the other (yes I have three hands) head wounds are so complicated and hard to call. There are many cases where someone is accused of beating someone over the head when in fact they just fell. The Staircase comes to mind. That Dr. Spitz is all over the place lately and even he said the injury was consistent with a fall. Dana wouldn't even have had to hit a pole or mailbox, if she fell hard enough against the edge of a curb. 

I'm pissed off that the show waited until we were 78 minutes in before telling us there was another passenger in the car! If we take Roxie at face value this was just a tragic accident and the daughter refused to accept it and went on a witch hunt. I'm also still suspicious of her father.

Finally, since no post of mine would be complete without snark: Aunt Deb? 1980 called, and they want their hairstyle back.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I’m still chewing on this one, too. I’m wondering where baby Brittany was the night of the death. Didn’t sound like she was home with dad, since Roxy (wasn’t the club also called Roxy? Funny) thought the dad could have tracked them and come across Dana lying on the road and killed her. I wonder if the grandparents already had custody of the baby. 

I wonder why the dad told Brittany she wasn’t ready to hear the truth when she confronted him as a teen.

i don’t know if Russell did it but I can imagine that if he did, it was probably impulsive (and according to Roxy there was a pool cue in the car which wasn’t there later). He might have realized that Roxy, at least, and maybe others knew Dana had left with him and so he would certainly be a suspect if he just left her in the road. So he concocted his story. He didn’t seem super bright to me but if she really did fall out of the car, and he went so far as to call the police, why not tell the truth right up front? His changing stories were stupid. He could have shown the police the faulty door when they arrived. I think he said he was on parole, and ex-girlfriends reported beatings, etc. so apparently he could be impulsively violent. It’s interesting that he apparently turned into a choirboy after this tragic occurrence. He did not strike me as such; flipping Brittany off in the courtroom was lovely. And he didn’t seem the least bit sad, ever, that Dana has died.

I thought Roxy seemed fishy. I don’t think she was involved but she just didn’t seem believable.

i would like to read a well-researched book on this case. I’d like know more about the other “activities” that allegedly went on at the club. Maybe Russell the bouncer was trying to recruit Dana and things somehow went bad. Who knows? I would like to.

And my heart goes out to those who loved Dana.

(I had the same reaction to the lawyer with the slovenly man bun, but later when he was interviewed and I couldn’t see it, I thought he was very handsome. Still a bit slovenly front the front. But such potential! LOL)

EtA: Roxy wasn’t in the car when it happened. They dropped her off first. She talked about helping Dana back into the car (why was she out?) through the well-known faulty door, which she also said they weren’t able to use when they ini tally got in at the club. I think Roxy is covering something, like maybe she doesn’t actually KNOW anything but she remembers that pool cue in the backseat...and wonders...and then there was that early report that Russell was her boyfriend...

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 9

Personally, I don’t really believe Russell at all.  He didn’t come across well in his interviews with Dateline or law enforcement.  His stories were too inconsistent, and one thing in particular that struck me as odd was him saying he didn’t see her fall out, but rather he heard the sound of a car door shutting, and saw she was gone.  Huh?  How in the world did a broken car door shut all by itself? 

That being said, I thought the case against him was flimsy at best, so I don’t know if I, as a juror, would have voted guilty.  My gut feeling says he did it, but you don’t convict based on gut feelings alone. 

• Love 10

Dana wouldn't even have had to hit a pole or mailbox, if she fell hard enough against the edge of a curb. 

I had a coworker whose teenage aunt died around 1963 when she was in a car full of other kids and the car flew around a curve, door flew open and she fell out and hit her head on the curb.  So, it's totally plausible.

• Love 4

Russell's story made no sense from the start. Way back when it happened, he said he took that road to go to a store to get cigarettes, even though there were no stores in that area open at that time of night. He said that he was nearing a corner when Dana fell out of the car, but he didn't know that she had fallen out until he heard the car door shut. How in the world does someone fall from a moving car, but be able to shut the door behind them as they fall out? Never mind a door that doesn't shut properly in the first place, even if that explanation made an iota of sense. Also Dana was not found anywhere near a corner, far from it in fact. In addition her purse was found in the middle of the road. How did she fall out of a car onto a curb, but her purse ends up in the middle of the road? 

Though I do think the case wasn't strong, certainly with what we saw presented, Russell's own words would make me think he was guilty. But since Dateline usually leaves out a lot of info, I assume there was more presented that helped the jury come to the guilty verdict. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Fable said:

Personally, I don’t really believe Russell at all.  He didn’t come across well in his interviews with Dateline or law enforcement.  His stories were too inconsistent, and one thing in particular that struck me as odd was him saying he didn’t see her fall out, but rather he heard the sound of a car door shutting, and saw she was gone.  Huh?  How in the world did a broken car door shut all by itself? 

That being said, I thought the case against him was flimsy at best, so I don’t know if I, as a juror, would have voted guilty.  My gut feeling says he did it, but you don’t convict based on gut feelings alone. 

Yes, I found this odd too. How fast was this car going? She didn't scream when falling out? I didn't believe one thing the best friend was saying. 

Especially the bit about the door. She says we aren't supposed to use it but then they did use it? 

It maybe wasn't intentional but he was at least negligent. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The defense made a pretty good argument that a murderer wouldn't have been banging on doors at 3:00 in the morning trying to get help.

Eh, that didn't seem odd to me. I've heard stories about other people who've committed murder who then went banging on doors or calling 911/other people for help. Good way to try and cover their tracks, especially if it's an impulsive murder, as some think this might've been, and they're all, "Oh, shit, time to do damage control!" as a result. 

I'm pissed off that the show waited until we were 78 minutes in before telling us there was another passenger in the car! 

Yes! I was like, "Wow, that information could've been helpful a lot sooner." 

Even then, though, she still wasn't as much of a witness as she could've been, since she was dropped off before everything with Dana happened. I agree with the idea that she might be covering up whatever she does know, though. 

I also agree that Russell didn't exactly help his case with all his constantly changing stories. I get the argument that police can be intimidating and all that, because yeah, that can be true. But constantly changing your stories doesn't really help you if you're trying to claim your innocence, either. At the very least, it hindered the investigation, because the time the police spent trying to parse out his different versions of what happened that night could've been focused on actually examining other aspects of the case, or potential suspects, instead. 

I also wonder what kind of teacher thinks it's okay to blindside a five year old with the question of how her mom died. She didn't know that Brittany didn't know, but still...I would think that's a subject you would approach with extreme caution and sensitivity for somebody that young, whether they know the details or not. 

• Love 11

Russel's story did not make much sense to me.  I can't fathom having a passenger, then looking over and not having a passenger but noticing the door close while in motion. Ummm...okay?

And Roxy's weird insistence that Dana's boyfriend must have followed Dana and the bouncer in his car, happened to come upon her when she fell out of the vehicle and then murdered her made her extremely suspicious to me.

• Love 14
On 3/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

Though I do think the case wasn't strong, certainly with what we saw presented, Russell's own words would make me think he was guilty. But since Dateline usually leaves out a lot of info, I assume there was more presented that helped the jury come to the guilty verdict. 

Exactly, the fact that a DA even took the case on, twice, makes me think there must have been more evidence that Dateline left out. I do wish we knew whose DNA was under her nails. I don't believe the case had enough for guilty or not guilty.

• Love 8

I think it says something that initially the authorities just wrote it off as a tragic accident, even if they thought it was fishy. There was enough missing information about the victim that makes me think there's part of the story they didn't want to tell us lest they be accused of victim-blaming. Let's face it, Dana was involved with some pretty shady characters. Doesn't mean she deserved what happened to her but might be the reason the cops weren't overly invested in the case until they were forced to be. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 3/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, iMonrey said:

The prosecution's case was entirely speculative. On the other hand, I distrust lawyers who have man-buns.

LOL  Sometimes I'd just like to make my own rules, that being one and another one being: 

If a man has a history of beating up women and then one turns up dead while in his presence,  he killed her!  Sure, in this case, she just might have been drunk enough to open the door to vomit and fell out, and he might have been drunk enough not to see it happen, but I'm in favor of convicting him anyway.  The loser beats women!

I despised those friends who kept insisting he was a, "big teddy bear" even after hearing his past convictions of domestic violence. 

• Love 9

"The Road Trip" - classic case of The Husband Did It. Was pretty obvious from the start because of the almost sarcastic way they narrator kept reminding us that he was out of town when the murder took place. Then there was the interrogation video when he was acting all squirrelly. How weird that his best friend looked exactly like him. Something tells me there was more to it than just friendship, at least on the part of the so-called best friend. 

• Love 6

Yes it was predictable but I watched the whole Road Trip.  Imagine having a wife who looks good,  earns big money while you stay home and make messes, and even allows you to have sex with other women, but that's not enough for some reason.  You have to have her brutally murdered by a psycho with a hammer.  It's too bad they all three  couldn't have got life in prison without parole.

• Love 12

Mr. K and I thought it was a great story.  We knew it was hubby when he began his fake cry routine during the interrogation.  Yet another story of a creep husband leaving the kids motherless.  The kids tried to get his death penalty reduced and didn't succeed.  But I suspect they are not as blind as his own mother who thinks he was railroaded.  Yeah, really, the friend had an independent reason to kill her. . .

Anyway, I tried to figure what would have happened had the tipster not come forward.  It would have been a long way around to catch up with the childhood best friend from the trailer park.

I loved how Wayne kept coming in to be interrogated with no shirt or shoes!

There is a Rolla engineering school in Missouri (part of a state school, apparently).  But did that guy really go there? 

• Love 6

"Return to the Lonely Road"

While I have great empathy for Brittany, I'm completely fine with overturning the verdict.  Brittany's Dana's daughter.  It is totally understandable that she would want to find some justice for her mother.  However, I'm still not certain there was a crime, and if there were, I can't get to saying with certainty that Russell did it.

Roxy's testimony about the car door seemed credible to me.  An accident seems plausible.  If you absolutely tell me there was a crime, Toby (Brittany's father) seems as likely a suspect as Russell.  In a smoky, crowded dark bar, I can absolutely believe that Toby might have shown up.

My overall point is that all possibilities still exist for me, which means no conviction for Russell.  I wish Brittany and Deb well, but I think they were after something they wanted, not something that could be known or proven.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/28/2020 at 11:00 PM, Court said:

Yes, I found this odd too. How fast was this car going? She didn't scream when falling out? I didn't believe one thing the best friend was saying. 

See, I did.  Also, it was established that Dana was intoxicated.  Russell mentioned that she might have gotten sick.  If she leaned on the door to get her head out the window, I could see it popping open.  As to screaming, she might not have been aware of what was happening if she was drunk.

I'm not saying Russell was a choir boy back then, but I can't get to an absolute that he did something to harm Dana.

ETA: About Russell's story, there's a difference between stupid and guilty.  Him changing his story struck me as more stupid than guilty.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4

Roadtrip - yes, indeedy - as soon as they showed the police tape of "the grieving husband" pulling his Sarah Heartburn act, I said to my companion, "Yup, he was behind it!".  Who the hell really acts like that in real life?  I think that these murderous people who have their spouses bumped off (or do it themselves) must watch too many soap operas or very old movies to think that's how bereft people behave.  I'm sure most cops roll their eyes at that kind of theatrics and figure the person has something to hide.  

And yeah, this guy had the Golden Goose but guess he figured that he'd be better off with the 5 mill in insurance money than whatever alimony his wife was going to have to pay him in a divorce.  

Finally, Frick and Frack, the murderers from the midwest.  So you just go and kill this poor woman who never did a damn thing to you, and you don't even get a downpayment for the hit?   All sorts of stupid right there if you ask me!  And I agree with Judy Obscure - too bad all 3 of them didn't get life, though frankly, I think all 3 should have gotten the chair.  

• Love 4

The world is so messed up right now that I was just grateful we had a good old fashioned "spouse murders his wife" story. 

I shouldn't find that comforting but I do compared to some of the more odd/random murders from the past few weeks.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes it was predictable but I watched the whole Road Trip.  Imagine having a wife who looks good,  earns big money while you stay home and make messes, and even allows you to have sex with other women, but that's not enough for some reason. .

I will forever love on these shows how the "grieving" spouse always tries to put on a totally innocent front at first, only for the real story and secrets to slowly spill out over time. 

"Oh, yeah, we were a great couple, got on well. No affairs, nope." Family members also echo the, "They were a perfect couple!" mantra. 

Then...

-"...well, yeah, I mean, we fought, all couples fight sometimes. She had a bit of a temper."

-"...now what exactly do you mean by 'extramarital affairs'? 'Cause we swing a little...." (and of course, they "swing", which apparently means that he gets to sleep with other women, and there's no talk of her getting to sleep with other men (or women), and she was totally fine with that arrangement, he says of the now deceased woman who cannot confirm or deny that claim)

-And then we find out that he had numerous explicit texts and photos from numerous women that he claims he'd only been with once a long time ago, 'cause, y'know, who doesn't keep explicit texts and photos from numerous random flings you had years ago?

No, all of the above does not automatically make somebody a murderer, true (his other behavior throughout this story more than took care of that suspicion), but holy shit, people, just be upfront and honest about this stuff from the get-go. They're going to look at your phone/computer history and stumble upon this stuff eventually, they're going to interview other people who know you and may know about your secret lifestyles, etc., so you might as well just lay it all out there right away instead of doing the whole, "We were the perfect, happy couple!" song and dance routine.

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

.How weird that his best friend looked exactly like him. Something tells me there was more to it than just friendship, at least on the part of the so-called best friend. 

Honestly, I was wondering the same thing. Very "Single White Male" (in this case :p)?

7 hours ago, GussieK said:

The kids tried to get his death penalty reduced and didn't succeed.  But I suspect they are not as blind as his own mother who thinks he was railroaded.  Yeah, really, the friend had an independent reason to kill her. . .

Right? 

I'm kind of surprised that the children's plea to spare their dad's life didn't sway the judge, but at the same time, given the guy's behavior, I get why he wasn't moved. I'm not a death penalty supporter, myself, but yes, when Mark was sitting there being all, "The children have lost their mommy, and now they're about to lose their daddy" and invoking God and all that, I was like, "Oh, spare me...". Should've thought about all of that before you orchestrated a plot to murder your wife, buddy. 

3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Finally, Frick and Frack, the murderers from the midwest.  So you just go and kill this poor woman who never did a damn thing to you, and you don't even get a downpayment for the hit?   All sorts of stupid right there if you ask me! .

Yeah, but hey, at least the one guy got to take an opportunity to leave a negative review of a restaurant on Yelp, so...

For as serious and awful as this murder was, I could not stop laughing at the stupidity of these two. Especially Jimmy. Using your own name as an e-mail address, using the very weapon that gives a nod to your nickname of "The Hammer", gleefully bragging about the murder to your girlfriend*, not disposing of your clothing very well... This case was a classic example of, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." 

*Seriously, we need to sit down with that girl and talk about her life choices. She got hooked up with a guy who's on probation for weapons charges and is involved in a murder scheme (and is incredibly inept at it, no less), and brags about murdering somebody. Again, I know that pickings can be slim in smaller towns, but come on. It's okay to be single, ladies. Really, it is. 

And she smokes while pregnant as well. I seriously pity that poor baby. 

I loved how Wayne kept coming in to be interrogated with no shirt or shoes!

What in the hell was all that about? I also loved him trying to be all, "Oh, that wasn't me on the cameras at that Wal-Mart." So, what, apparently there's a third guy out there who just happens to look like both you and Mark and happens to know your partner in crime, Jimmy, and happened to be in that Wal-Mart that day with him, then? 

On a more positive note, I loved the guy interrogating him, just trying to roll with his "I'm so awesome" rambling. You could tell he was thinking, "...'kay, that's nice, can we get back to talking about the murder now?" He was great.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:. 

What in the hell was all that about? I also loved him trying to be all, "Oh, that wasn't me on the cameras at that Wal-Mart." So, what, apparently there's a third guy out there who just happens to look like both you and Mark and happens to know your partner in crime, Jimmy, and happened to be in that Wal-Mart that day with him, then? 

On a more positive note, I loved the guy interrogating him, just trying to roll with his "I'm so awesome" rambling. You could tell he was thinking, "...'kay, that's nice, can we get back to talking about the murder now?" He was great.

Yeah forgot to mention this. The obligatory big-box-store video of the perps buying the murder weapons and cleanup equipment. Will they never learn?  

Edited by GussieK
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Roadtrip - yes, indeedy - as soon as they showed the police tape of "the grieving husband" pulling his Sarah Heartburn act, I said to my companion, "Yup, he was behind it!".  Who the hell really acts like that in real life?  I think that these murderous people who have their spouses bumped off (or do it themselves) must watch too many soap operas or very old movies to think that's how bereft people behave.  I'm sure most cops roll their eyes at that kind of theatrics and figure the person has something to hide.  

Ha ha hadn’t heard that expression in years. My mother used to call me that when I was whining about something. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Yeah forgot to mention this. The obligatory big-box-store video of the perps buying the murder weapons and cleanup equipment. Will they never learn?  

And Budweiser T-shirts, too! The perfect accessory for would-be murderers. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Road Trip I had seen before, maybe on 48 Hours or something. My God that trio of perps were buffoons. It always breaks my heart when the victim asks "why?" as they are being killed. 

The Lonely Road, the daughter needs to get some therapy and move on with her life. No mother wants their child dedicating decades of their life to getting justice for their murder. She did her best and she needs to let it go. She is too fixated. I always tell my brother, if I am murdered do not waste years of your life trying to find my body or seeking justice or sitting in courtrooms. I'm dead, I don't care. To which he replies... "you and your Dateline!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

Maybe we have to start a Dateline Bingo list!  

When they started in on the "They were the perfect couple" spheel, I turned to my mom and joked that we need to make a drinking game out of this. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I will forever love on these shows how the "grieving" spouse always tries to put on a totally innocent front at first, only for the real story and secrets to slowly spill out over time. 

Yeah I can't figure out why he'd be stupid enough to admit to the "swinging" then go from "once or twice" to enumerating the many, many women he slept with. The only reason I could see for it is an irresistible urge to brag. 

• Love 4

I actually only watched the first hour of this, as I had seen the story before and assumed that Dateline was just adding an update on to the end and repackaging it as a new episode. Was there anything that I missed in the second half that made it worth a 2 hour episode? 

I am constantly amazed at seemingly smart successful women who put up with loser husbands, let alone loser husbands who want to bring other women into their bedroom. It really is just mind boggling to me. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I actually only watched the first hour of this, as I had seen the story before and assumed that Dateline was just adding an update on to the end and repackaging it as a new episode.

I think this was Dateline's first episode on this case.  The reason many of us know it is because 48 hours did it a few years ago.  No, there wasn't any earthshattering in the second hour.  If you saw the 48 Hours episode, you could have skipped this episode entirely.  I watched the whole thing expecting Dateline to have its own spin on the case.  Nope.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I think this was Dateline's first episode on this case.  The reason many of us know it is because 48 hours did it a few years ago.  No, there wasn't any earthshattering in the second hour.  If you saw the 48 Hours episode, you could have skipped this episode entirely.  I watched the whole thing expecting Dateline to have its own spin on the case.  Nope.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't delete from my PVR but will now.

It always amazes me that with the number of murders that are carried out (and many of the WTF was that?! variety), that the three main shows that cover true crime just recycle the same murders. People magazine often covers bizarre murders, but they never seem to make it to Dateline, 20/20 or 48 Hours. I know People has its own show now on the murders it covers in its magazine, but unfortunately I cannot access them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

People magazine often covers bizarre murders, but they never seem to make it to Dateline, 20/20 or 48 Hours. I know People has its own show now on the murders it covers in its magazine, but unfortunately I cannot access them. 

I think it boils down to who is willing to go on camera and given an interview.  Sure, they could cover some of the other bizarre murders but if they can't get people who knew the victim, the perp and the detectives/prosecutors to speak on camera, it'd be a pretty boring episode.    When it's a written narrative (which I'm assuming that's what People does) they can get quotes from people but even if they don't want to speak, they can rely on court records...etc. to round out their story.  Some podcasts use actors to recreate the document of record but Datelines doesn't appear to want to take that angle.

• Love 3

The story was completely new to me, but I hadn't seen that "48 Hours" had done a story on it, too. 

I do agree it's weird how some cases seem to get covered more often than others. 

• Love 4

I am constantly amazed at seemingly smart successful women who put up with loser husbands, let alone loser husbands who want to bring other women into their bedroom. It really is just mind boggling to me. 

They could do a whole series just about that. Too often it boils down to staying together "for the sake of the children." Yeah, how'd that work out for you, lady? 

• Love 3
On 4/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, Annber03 said:

When they started in on the "They were the perfect couple" spheel, I turned to my mom and joked that we need to make a drinking game out of this. 

And every (female) victim lit up the room when she came in. 

• Love 9
(edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 4:05 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think it boils down to who is willing to go on camera and given an interview.  Sure, they could cover some of the other bizarre murders but if they can't get people who knew the victim, the perp and the detectives/prosecutors to speak on camera, it'd be a pretty boring episode.    When it's a written narrative (which I'm assuming that's what People does) they can get quotes from people but even if they don't want to speak, they can rely on court records...etc. to round out their story.  Some podcasts use actors to recreate the document of record but Datelines doesn't appear to want to take that angle.

I can't access the People episodes to see if they have actual on camera interviews from the people in their articles, but I would assume so. Otherwise it would be a pretty boring show. But there are certainly others who are able to have well rounded, interesting episodes including interviews, On the Case with Paula Zahn comes to mind. She has just finished her 19th season. I think Dateline often is just lazy, or maybe lacking in the funds to find and research good stories. In any case I am often disappointed in their episodes, also due to their penchant for leaving out pertinent information. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
On 3/30/2020 at 6:55 PM, iMonrey said:

I think it says something that initially the authorities just wrote it off as a tragic accident, even if they thought it was fishy. There was enough missing information about the victim that makes me think there's part of the story they didn't want to tell us lest they be accused of victim-blaming. Let's face it, Dana was involved with some pretty shady characters. Doesn't mean she deserved what happened to her but might be the reason the cops weren't overly invested in the case until they were forced to be. 

Yes once again the victim was a perfect person who had one night of bad choices.  I would hope that had she lived, she would’ve broken it off with those people because Roxy looked like she has lived a rough life with countless bad choices.  Not the kind of people I would want around my children.

• Love 2

I’ve read a couple of more articles regarding Vallow and ‘her bond reduction.’   Sounds as if she is getting ‘no, thanks, your money isn’t good enough’ from the bondsmen along with a ‘give us the kids.’  A good thing.  She must have the ten grand to  pay it herself. 

Let’s get additional murder charges in before the reduction.  How can so many people die suspiciously around someone?  Makes you want to know exactly what took place in each situation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Ellee said:

I’ve read a couple of more articles regarding Vallow and ‘her bond reduction.’   Sounds as if she is getting ‘no, thanks, your money isn’t good enough’ from the bondsmen along with a ‘give us the kids.’  A good thing.  She must have the ten grand to  pay it herself. 

Let’s get additional murder charges in before the reduction.  How can so many people die suspiciously around someone?  Makes you want to know exactly what took place in each situation. 

I’ve tried to follow this discussion of this case on Websleuths.com but it is so convoluted that I cannot keep up. I would have to read posts all day every day. Very sick situation and again, I can’t wait for the definitive book. 

• Love 2

MsJamieDornan are you a fan of Jamie or just coincidence?

Inreally hope ^^^^ that cult is wiped out and nonfunctional re Vallow/Daybell clearly a lot of coverup going on with more than just these two. The crazy part is she seemed to be a sane good mom prior to joining this group/daybell 

very scary, lately the cults seem to just get more bizarre and bizarre, this plus Nxivm ugh

Saw Mystery on the Jordan River last night. I assume this was a repeat. My DVR never seems to record the Saturday or Sunday shows. Anyway, I knew it was Chris the minute they showed his picture, even though the show went on a wild goose chase after the wrong suspect for about half an hour. So when it came back to Chris I was unsurprised.

I found Veronica's flame red hair really distracting, mostly because you could see that her scalp was also red where her hair parted in the middle. My eye just went right to it every time she was on camera. But she didn't have red hair in the news clips and courtroom footage, so I wondered if maybe she dyed it that color as a tribute to Annie. They seemed to make a big deal out of the red shoes she was wearing when she died. 

Sad story, and we never really got a motive for this. I guess Chris just thought it was the most expedient way to deal with a pregnant girlfriend.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Sad story, and we never really got a motive for this. I guess Chris just thought it was the most expedient way to deal with a pregnant girlfriend.

It's horrible that, that motive is becoming so common. 

• Love 1

I just watched The House, and have so many questions.  But what if this is a case where the murderer killed Scott to put the wife in prison?  Someone heartless enough to kill him in order to get her in prison.  I know this has no basis in what was shown in the show - but this show     was so incomplete. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nora1992 said:

but this show     was so incomplete. 

I wish there was some way to know if we're watching an episode with no resolution because then I'd never have to watch. 

We're presented with people who think Anne is evil, including her own children, and a neighbor's video that makes her look horrible. Then two people who think she was a wonderful, self-sacrificing nurse and mother. Obviously, they can't both be right. 

My gut instinct, based on many factors, says she was involved in his death. But obviously the hard evidence wasn't there. There's also the endless paperwork about endless domestic calls to the police by EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY! What a complicated story. 

• Love 6

I definitely think Anne got away with murder, and I was shocked. Although I think the guy they ended up releasing without even charging committed the actual crime at her behest. I didn't catch why so much of the evidence was ruled inadmissible (the domestic calls, the neighbor's recording, etc.) but if the jury had just been allowed to watch this episode I think the verdict would have been different.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

didn't catch why so much of the evidence was ruled inadmissible (the domestic calls, the neighbor's recording, etc.) but if the jury had just been allowed to watch this episode I think the verdict would have been different.

I don’t know about that. I think there is a good chance that she might have been involved but there is no way I could vote to convict beyond a reasonable doubt with the evidence presented on the show. Especially when even a lot of it was very vague they didn’t go into great details on the domestic complaints, some of which she filed and that clip of what I am assuming was a longer conversation wasn’t evidence of murder. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
On 4/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, JAY89 said:

MsJamieDornan are you a fan of Jamie or just coincidence?

Fan

16 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I wish there was some way to know if we're watching an episode with no resolution because then I'd never have to watch.

Good answer.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t know about that. I think there is a good chance that she might have been involved but there is no way I could vote to convict beyond a reasonable doubt with the evidence presented on the show.

I wanted to read all of those reports.  In detail.  I think those could have turned some of the tide, and I wanted a lesser count so i could convict her of something.  My gut says that she did it in concert with the guy. Either they actually did it together or he did it at her direction.

I'm sorry the DA filed the case and went ahead with it as weak as it was.  I was surprised that there was no mention of trying to flip him to testify against her.  I definitely think she was at the very least involved and should be in jail for something.  This seems like the reverse of many of the cases we see---the ones where they wait years to file while they investigate.  Instead, the DA rushed it, and Anne got away with it.

Finally...Yay for a Josh episode!

• Love 6

It was a little shocking that the police went for a welfare check in broad daylight and missed a woman locked in a room and a body in the backyard.

What does it matter if her DNA was not on the wood chips. Only the two of them had access to the washing machine and he's dead! 

The whole family seemed off. She might have had borderline personality disorder. Why did they not get divorced? Who loves a house to the point they are willing to stay in it with a spouse they hate so much they are constantly having to call the police and must sleep in a locked room?

• Love 17