Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

This repeat was good timing as I just listened to Over My Dead Body. It's a new podcast that discusses this case.  It's funny to see how people look vs. How I thought they'd look.

You rock the house.  I'm listening to the podcast as I'm typing this and am currently on Episode 2.  I watched last night's Dateline episode.  I had seen it before but had forgotten how angry it made me.  I believe that Wendi at least has knowledge of Dan's murder.  I think her parents, her brother, and probably her as well paid for the hit.  It ticks me off that they're getting away with it.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 11

I really dislike Andrea Canning and this episode was a prime example. She starts out by spending five minutes telling us how she has started a family and lives on the upper west side of NYC (just steps from Central Park y'all!) and how this crime was not far from where she lives. ...Um, what the fuck, Andrea?! You did not know the victim, nor did the crime have any impact on you whatsoever, nor was your personal information relative to the story in any way! She inserts herself into the stories a lot, but never quite this blatantly.

I was pretty convinced the ex-husband was guilty by the end of the trial, but I thought the case started out pretty weak, actually. First the victim's friend made a big deal out of the fact that she would never take a bath, and then went on to say she had just had her hair treated and couldn't get it wet. Um . . . maybe that's why she was taking a bath? Instead of a shower? I also thought they were grasping at straws when they said the way the cabinet had been yanked off its hinges wouldn't have been the way it would have looked if she'd grabbed it to stop herself from falling. 

In the end the testimony from the girlfriend was the most damning thing against the accused but I honestly didn't think there was any evidence she hadn't just slipped and hit her head in the tub. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

also thought they were grasping at straws when they said the way the cabinet had been yanked off its hinges wouldn't have been the way it would have looked if she'd grabbed it to stop herself from falling. 

What I was confused by was when they showed the wife shot the cabinet was not the one above the tib but father away and given her height itsisnt look like she would be able to reach it from the tub but then they just mentioned her weight. 

• Love 1
Just now, biakbiak said:

but then they just mentioned her weight. 

I'm pretty sure they said she was 5'4", 130 pounds.

Which, if you hung your entire weight on a hinge that was just screwed into what looked like a fiberboard cabinet faced in laminate, would probably be enough to pull the hinge loose.  But I'm still convinced he did it.

• Love 8
Just now, Mondrianyone said:

pretty sure they said she was 5'4", 130 pounds.

Which, if you hung your entire weight on a hinge that was just screwed into what looked like a fiberboard cabinet faced in laminate, would probably be enough to pull the hinge loose.  But I'm still convinced he did it.

I meant they didn’t mention her height when it came to grabbing the cabinet which looked to high for someone of her height to hang her full body weight on.

• Love 2

What I believe they didn't mention was the distance from the floor of the tub to the cabinet knob.  Without that info, it's really not possible to know if she could've grabbed the knob just by reaching up.  Although if you jump to clutch onto anything to keep yourself from falling, that could account for a few inches of disparity.  And it would also add to the likelihood the hinge would get pulled loose.

• Love 5

I believe that Wendi at least has knowledge of Dan's murder.  I think her parents, her brother, and probably her as well paid for the hit.  It ticks me off that they're getting away with it.

That was a sad story. I wish the prosecutor had the guts to take the Adelsons to trial because you can connect the dots from them to the hitmen pretty clearly and I would definitely vote guilty if I were on the jury. But I can see the problem here, they can't directly pin it on any one family member in particular so it's just guess work as to whether it was the brother, or the brother and the mother, or the whole damn family. 

I can only hope this has had a detrimental effect on their dental business. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But I can see the problem here, they can't directly pin it on any one family member in particular

I think they have a pretty strong case against Charlie but they would have a stronger case if they could get Katie to talk.  I think that's part of the reason they haven't arrested him.  If They really only get one shot.

I am a little surprised that his parents haven't looked into a lawsuit for wrongful death.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think they have a pretty strong case against Charlie but they would have a stronger case if they could get Katie to talk.  I think that's part of the reason they haven't arrested him.  If They really only get one shot.

I'm all for a deal in which Katie gets full leniency, time served, in exchange for revealing the Adelson's involvement.

I actually think the D.A. has enough proof to charge the the mother and brother. Or are they also "taking care" of the D.A.?

I thought it was cold of Wendi to joke about "late ex-husband sounds like latex husband" and it was especially bitchy of her to change the children's names. I believe that he really loved his kids and had a strong desire to be fully involved with them despite the divorce.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I'm all for a deal in which Katie gets full leniency, time served, in exchange for revealing the Adelson's involvement.

In the Small Talk thread, we're talking a little bit more the case since it's a little more up-to-date than this episode.  Not really a spoiler since this is true crime but for those who might want to listen to the podcast---

Spoiler

She was offered immunity.  She's still not talking.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I am a little surprised that his parents haven't looked into a lawsuit for wrongful death

Maybe because they're older, and they're in Canada?  Wrongful death suits do sometimes help criminal cases, but the Markels would have to be dealing with two nations.  Could they do everything long-distance from Canada?  I'd assume they'll be coming in June for the trial, but Toronto to Tallahassee is a long trip.  Maybe it's too far for them to do it regularly?

• Love 4

That case about Trent's murder left me so frustrated.  The murderer walks free after five years of time served.  Trent's parents won the wrongful death suit but haven't received a penny from the murderer's rich family. Why is it the law doesn't make people pay in these cases?  Worst of all,  Amy's life is ruined, she has to stay in hiding, fearful, never seeing her family, for the rest of her life and it was all for nothing.

• Love 10

Just saw the Dan Markel episode. So interesting, especially the work with traffic and bus cams. I chuckled when Wendi's ex boyfriend discussed how he almost didn't come in because he didn't want to see his interview on Dateline, considering I was watching his interview on Dateline! 

I paid close attention to Wendi's body language and behaviour during her initial long interview, and it sure seemed appropriate to me. The way she acted and the things she said were the kind of things I expect to see from someone finding out someone close to them has been shot, yet so often on these shows you see a very phony, stilted version because the person knew all along. If Wendi was faking her reactions during those 4 or 5 hours she deserves an Oscar. I don't think she knew. But I could be wrong! 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Awful that the conviction got thrown out.

Yes, and I know that it doesn't bring Trent back, but I'm not exactly sad that his murderer is using a motorized wheelchair and looks to be a quadriplegic.  Karma's a bitch.  (I love karma---big believer in it.)  Murderer is not in jail, but he is getting some form of payback from the universe.

• Love 11

That was a very karmic ending. I'm glad at least Dateline exposed him, just in case anyone new around him doesn't know he is a murderer.

Why does no one ever seem to see a penny of their civil lawsuit judgements? Does the person immediately claim bankruptcy or something? 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That case about Trent's murder left me so frustrated.  The murderer walks free after five years of time served.  Trent's parents won the wrongful death suit but haven't received a penny from the murderer's rich family. Why is it the law doesn't make people pay in these cases?  Worst of all,  Amy's life is ruined, she has to stay in hiding, fearful, never seeing her family, for the rest of her life and it was all for nothing.

The judgment is against the individual not his family. If the murderer has nothing in his name and doesn’t work, he is what is called “judgment proof.”

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Ah, thanks, LittleIggy.  So his family can pay his million dollar bail for him and buy him that snide lawyer and the other lawyer who read Amy's private diary out loud, but when it comes to paying the victims, family doesn't count.  Dateline should warn us when the ending is so unsatisfactory. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

So his family can pay his million dollar bail for him and buy him that snide lawyer and the other lawyer who read Amy's private diary out loud, but when it comes to paying the victims, family doesn't count.  Dateline should warn us when the ending is so unsatisfactory. 

Unsatisfactory is right! It was horrifying that Amy had to sit through having her explicit PERSONAL diary read, as if this changed anything. That was vicious. 

It reminded me a lot of the OJ scenario where the murderer appeared to get away with it, but in the end, he didn't. Like OJ, this murderer's name was ruined, then he was found guilty in civil court. Meanwhile, he ended up in a wheelchair and back in court for other unnamed offenses. 

So he's been punished in many ways. But not as much as Trent and his family, or poor "disappeared" Amy. I feel like she's been punished the most, because you know she lives her new life in fear of being executed. 

Yup. Very unsatisfactory. 

• Love 6

The Trent murder was another warning to never commit to paper what you don't want read in public.  It seems pretty unfair that the lawyers were able to execute a search warrant on the witness and this was a typical case of dragging the witness through the mud when they are only trying to help bring a killer to justice. 

I don't know how these type of defense attorneys can sleep at night!!!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I was wondering how they got ahold of a hand written journal! How the hell do you get a search warrant on a witness?

It wouldn’t be a search warrant. It would be a subpoena.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

It wouldn’t be a search warrant. It would be a subpoena.

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

How does that work? How do they even know she kept such a journal? Did she reference it to the cops/prosecution and it was disclosed to the defense?

Yeah, I just didn't understand how they got hold of that.  I wish that were better explained.  Defendants are entitled to impeach witnesses using the witnesses' own statements, but I'm not sure how the defendant here was really entitled to these private journals. 

Also, why did they run this episode now -- was it an update?

• Love 2

Regarding the Dan Markel case, there is no reason for the perpetrators to kill Dan except that Wendi's family paid for the hit. I don't believe Wendi knew about the hit ahead of time, although I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out she did. Her initial interview with the police was very convincing. Either she's an outstanding actress or she really didn't know. It's not just her emotional response but the things she said. If she knew her family was involved I don't think she would have brought up her family the way she did. She clearly knows now so she's not completely innocent (and changing the children's names shows that she's very callous) but I think there's enough doubt that she shouldn't be convicted of setting up the hit or knowing about it before it happened unless more evidence is uncovered.

I'm also going to say something very unpopular. I found Dan Markel extremely unlikable too. He was as bad as Wendi in their divorce and custody case. He didn't deserve to be killed for it (especially since Wendi wasn't any better than he was) but he was no angel. It's great when both parents want to be involved equally in their kids' lives but it's inappropriate that he wanted to hug his kids every morning, even on the mornings Wendi had them. The fact that he expected her to accommodate that is outrageous. In bitter custody cases it's best for the children that the parents have as little contact as possible, and that they don't see their parents together often. That means limited time with mom on dad's custody days and vice versa. When parents insist on trying to see the kids on non-custodial days it is a red flag. It's a sign of needing to control the kids and perhaps even the ex-spouse. It says he was concerned more about his needs than what was best for the kids. Similarly, Wendi also did not have her kids' best interests at heart, so I'm not siding with her in any way. Wanting to limit their contact with their father so she could be closer to her family in an area she found more desirable is incredibly selfish. Also, there were reports that her mother spoke negatively of Dan to the children, which she clearly allowed. That is one of the worst things you can do to a child, badmouth or sanction badmouthing of the other parent. I feel really badly for those children. 

On the positive side I do feel optimistic that Charlie, and perhaps other members of the Adelson family, will be charged eventually. I don't understand why Charlie (and maybe the mother) haven't been charged already. There are cases with less evidence than this one that are brought to trial (and end in convictions), and I don't see how anyone would vote not to convict. It's odd that Katie, who was offered full immunity, hasn't flipped on Charlie yet but I think there's still a good chance she will, and if she doesn't I do think they will try to prosecute anyway. 

• Love 8

I was satisfied with the fact that Trent’s killer is in a wheelchair, although I prefer prison. I researched a little, and Trent’s father said the killer is living in Pennsylvania because that state won’t force civil suit payouts. Not sure if I phrased that right. I’d imagine the killer’s dad is dead, but I know there are plenty of inheritance loopholes to keep any money away from Trent’s family. I really liked Trent’s dad. I hope they get some peace. 

• Love 6

Last night’s story left a lot of holes.

What/why was she doing at the guy’s trailer that killed her? Someone she barely knew.

Who is taking care of her child once she was murdered?

The doofus investigator went to jail ... for what? How long?

• Love 6

OK, found out some more info from Facebook, the woman’s cousin posted that the guy had been stalking her for some time. They worked at the same place but barely knew each other. Here’s a story that gives a lot more info.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2019/02/13/daniel-myers-pleads-guilty-to-murder-in-heather-bogle-case/stories/20190213126?fbclid=IwAR2SEgjqS6ITOOTgs46E5qK95Crm304PG107oYg23xLpIvae5pHuGbqzpY0

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Ugh I hate baseball season, another episode joined already in progress! 

27 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Tampering with evidence and he got 2 years. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

OK, found out some more info from Facebook, the woman’s cousin posted that the guy had been stalking her for some time. They worked at the same place but barely knew each other. Here’s a story that gives a lot more info.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2019/02/13/daniel-myers-pleads-guilty-to-murder-in-heather-bogle-case/stories/20190213126?fbclid=IwAR2SEgjqS6ITOOTgs46E5qK95Crm304PG107oYg23xLpIvae5pHuGbqzpY0

Wow, that's creepy. Yeah, when they were discussing the hair cutting, Heather's family was right to assume it was likely somebody who had a personal connection to her, because that would've made sense. But once we learned about this guy, the stuff with the hair also made me think of serial killers, as they tend to take something from their victims as well. Judging from this guy's behavior described in this article, and the way he snapped when she laughed at him, I get the feeling if he hadn't been caught, he could've killed again. 

And that just makes everything with O'Connell all the more infuriating as a result. His apology in the courtroom when he was getting caught for his crimes: "I was just so determined to solve this case." And tampering with evidence and targeting people for flimsy reasons helps with that...how? Idiot. 

I'm glad the case was ultimately solved in the end, though, despite all this mess, and that Heather's family was able to patch things up with her girlfriend and move on from the suspicions and accusations as they did. And I feel for the other people who got accused as well. 

• Love 9

JFC, that O'Connell guy was a stone-cold idiot.  For half of his interview, his responses consisted of just parroting back whatever Josh said last.  His theory of the crime against the 3 or 4 incorrectly accused people didn't even make sense.  He had a witness that said she saw the car drive into the apartment's lot, and the driver run away.  Why in the hell would "drug dealers" in a "deal gone wrong" kill someone, put the body in the victim's car, drive it to their own apartment complex, run away and then, what?....circle back to their own apartment feet from the body/car? It makes no sense!  Whenever he gets out of jail, I hope he doesn't get back that managerial job at McDonald's; he's too stupid to work the soda fountain!

I'm glad that new cops came in and got the case solved though.  And at least someone in the ME's office thought to collect DNA...since the sheriff was on drugs, and the detective couldn't find his own ass with a map and a Eagle Scout troop, it was a damn miracle that anyone did anything right at the outset.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

There was only a couple minutes left in the show when the new detective took over, so I thought maybe they weren't even gonna solve it, but apparently it could have been solved in 5 minutes. Thank God that creep didn't kill anyone else thinking he got away with it the first time.

I wonder why he cut her hair. And what the person from work who wrote the cops that email knew about him. Wish we could have gotten a bit more on the real culprit. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lizzing said:

that O'Connell guy was a stone-cold idiot

He had me wondering about his brain right off the bat when he told Josh that once he saw her hair had been cut off he knew the perp had been angry.  I guess the severely beaten, black and blue body and the two bullet holes hadn't already told him that.  Right after that we had Omar Satchel saying he knew he was a suspect because he was black.  No, Omar, I think it was probably the body in front of your apartment and the ten page rap sheet. If you don't want to be treated like a criminal, you might want to  quit committing so many crimes. I did notice O'Connell and Satchel both said, "pichures" for pictures.  There was plenty of stupidity to go around in this one.  I'm surprised we didn't get more sarcasm from Josh.

Unfortunately,  this wasn't our usual stupid murderer, killing for custody or money.  It was one of those  types I can not get my head around.  If you like a woman so much you're stalking her, why kill her the first time you get a chance?  I agree with @Annber03, he would have killed over and over, every time a woman rejected him.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

He had me wondering about his brain right off the bat when he told Josh that once he saw her hair had been cut off he knew the perp had been angry.  I guess the severely beaten, black and blue body and the two bullet holes hadn't already told him that. 

That bit immediately reminded me of a show I saw on the Investigation Discovery channel a while back. These people were describing a murder scene with a woman who'd been stabbed, and one of the people investigating said pretty much the same thing there: "I believed whoever had stabbed her was very angry."

And then somebody else was like, "She died in a way nobody wants to die." Thanks, Captain Obvious. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

There was only a couple minutes left in the show when the new detective took over, so I thought maybe they weren't even gonna solve it, but apparently it could have been solved in 5 minutes. Thank God that creep didn't kill anyone else thinking he got away with it the first time.

I wonder why he cut her hair. And what the person from work who wrote the cops that email knew about him. Wish we could have gotten a bit more on the real culprit. 

I was searching for info on this guy, and came across an article that said his ex girlfriend/mother of his child committed suicide in 2009. The police reopened the case, wondering if he might have killed her too. Apparently she left a suicide note that was hidden by this guy for years (why?)) which confirmed to police that she did commit suicide. Though they think he drove her to it because he was abusive. 

The one thing I hated was how this show was padded. (Not unusual for Dateline - but still). Though they said that the victim's brother and girlfriend were both suspects, and interviewed both, the cops would have known from the DNA that neither were the killer. Unless they thought that either hired someone, but neither of them seemed bright for that. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I was searching for info on this guy, and came across an article that said his ex girlfriend/mother of his child committed suicide in 2009. The police reopened the case, wondering if he might have killed her too. Apparently she left a suicide note that was hidden by this guy for years (why?)) which confirmed to police that she did commit suicide. Though they think he drove her to it because he was abusive. 

...damn. That's chilling. 

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, JudyObscure said:

Dateline should warn us when the ending is so unsatisfactory. 

I thought of this comment tonight watching the "Fatal Attraction" episode. Sooooo unsatisfying. I thought it was an open and shut case till the last 5 minutes where they suddenly make you question the verdict. 

If she did give him the poison, how super creepy that she'd follow him to the hospital and sit there smiling while his girlfriend filmed them, knowing he was probably about to die. 

I found the courtroom sequence incredibly uncomfortable. My worst nightmare is to sit in a court while my entire private life is dissected in front of a whole room full of people, and a few million watching on TV. Oh, and filming closeups of my face while I'm confronted by the last people I want to see. 

It's hard to understand how someone could be so healing and wonderful while also a home wrecking would-be murderer. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's so extreme. 

Finally, it was a weird episode if only because the victim didn't die! He was alive and talking. Honestly, I didn't get a good feeling about him at all. He's certainly the worst boyfriend ever. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

It's hard to understand how someone could be so healing and wonderful while also a home wrecking would-be murderer. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's so extreme. 

That seems to be a thing on a lot of these shows, where the suspect is somebody in a high position in the town-lawyer, doctor, law enforcement, etc. Real comforting to think these people are in lines of work that are supposed to be helpful to people...

Honestly, I didn't get a good feeling about him at all. He's certainly the worst boyfriend ever. 

Same. Even when he was acknowledging his affair during the trial, he sounded apologetic, but it didn't quite feel...genuine at the same time. Hearing that bit at the end about the other women coming forward wasn't all that surprising to me. 

(Also, when they were talking about him carrying her up the stairs and whether or not that was a sign of something deeper-I mean, he could've just been acting dorky and silly 'cause he was all caught up in the moment, too. I wouldn't read too much into that when judging how deep his feelings went one way or another.)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Thanks for the link. That guy is a sociopath. Heather died a hero getting that DNA evidence.

• Love 5

I'm not happy with how much they drew it out and then provided very little resolution.

"Jagged" was weird. They spent the whole hour on people who weren't even involved, let alone guilty, then it ends up being some rando they don't tell us jack about. WTF.

What/why was she doing at the guy’s trailer that killed her? Someone she barely knew.

They established she smoked pot. She might have been into other drugs. I suspect they want to steer clear of victim blaming here but I'm guessing she went there to do drugs. He probably told her he had some great pot or something so that's why she went. She obviously wasn't interested in him romantically so I can't think of any other reason she'd go.

Wasn't he stealing drugs from the evidence locker?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 3/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, Lizzing said:

JFC, that O'Connell guy was a stone-cold idiot.  For half of his interview, his responses consisted of just parroting back whatever Josh said last.  His theory of the crime against the 3 or 4 incorrectly accused people didn't even make sense.  He had a witness that said she saw the car drive into the apartment's lot, and the driver run away.  Why in the hell would "drug dealers" in a "deal gone wrong" kill someone, put the body in the victim's car, drive it to their own apartment complex, run away and then, what?....circle back to their own apartment feet from the body/car? It makes no sense! 

I had the exact same thought!  The only eyewitness you have is one that says the car was parked there and somebody started walking north.  So from that you go to the nearest apartment and just bother whoever you find in there instead?  I know people who are smoking pot don't always make the best decisions, but parking the dead body out in front of your house would be fairly unlikely.

And then that security footage from the vicinity of where the car was left shows a white SUV.  And then this Omar guy has a picture on social media in a white SUV from 3 years ago.  Seems like a pretty tenuous connection...and that's the BEST evidence you have to suggest that Omar was involved?  Watching a jury evaluating that would have been pretty funny had there not been a woman's murder involved.  Usually with Dateline's lionization of law enforcement, I thought it was going to turn out O'Connell was right despite the family's objections, but I'm glad they followed through and showed he was completely wrong.  I would have applauded O'Connell's showing up on Dateline knowing he was in the wrong had his apology in court not so missed the mark in identifying where he went wrong in the investigation.  No, you didn't try too hard, you didn't try hard enough, buddy!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Wasn't he stealing drugs from the evidence locker

No that was the sheriff himself. I believe the investigator went to jail for tampering with evidence in Heathers murder case- but the episode didn’t explain what evidence. 

• Love 2

I wonder how many people with a mile long wrap sheet lived in that apartment complex, or visited that apartment complex frequently. Omar as the suspect made zero sense if you throw out the cadaver dog, which I, like the suspect's girlfriend, think was completely fabricated. The detective knew Omar's girlfriend lived close to where they found Heather's car and body and he decided to pin this thing on him and the girlfriend. Most likely he convinced himself it was them and did some really unethical and illegal things to make the evidence fit his suspects, but there's always the chance he's a complete psychopath and decided to pin it on Omar and his girlfriend because he disliked the guy and he wanted to mark the case as solved. Either way, he was despicable and his non-apology was severely lacking. It's clear he has no remorse and doesn't think he did anything wrong.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

God, those poor mothers. 32 years of not having any answers, of having to deal with such a deep loss. I can't even begin to imagine.

I feel for the sisters, too. To see their lives change so dramatically in the blink of an eye like that, all because they separated from their sister for a few brief moments. How many times do you think they've asked themselves, "What if we'd remembered to bring our lunches with us, what if we hadn't split up...". 

Bless that determined detective, though, for keeping this case alive. I'm glad she was able to ultimately bring the families the news they'd longed for, and I love how she forged a close bond with Jenny's mom. I got all choked up when she talked about being able to tell her, "We got him." 

• Love 11