Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 9:40 PM, Mondrianyone said:

And such outstanding criminal minds, since the killer was a Mercer guy, too.   You're right about that!

Guess he took a class called “How Not to Get Away With Murder.”

I wonder how he got the master keys. I wonder if that apartment complex rents out the “murder unit.”

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4

I just gotta say that y'all are my people! I rewound that first kiss scene twice to make sure I saw what I thought I saw! LOL!  Very weird kissing.

I'm in the "crime of opportunity" camp too.  I don't think he got in the car that night with the express intent of shooting her, but took the opportunity when it arose.  Otherwise, she probably would have met with an accident on the ranch.  Lots of reasons to shoot guns on a ranch.

• Love 9

The one thing that did give me pause was the defense saying that because his net worth was $1.5 or $1.8 million (I can't remember which), he was well off and didn't need Diane's money. Their combined wealth might sustain their lifestyle, but his alone certainly would not. His wealth alone would be considered maybe upper middle class (at least in my books) at most, hardly the money needed for their lavish lifestyle and ranch. After reading some posts here I am starting to agree that maybe he hadn't planned it (then and there) but that it was a crime of opportunity. 

• Love 4

Echoing ChristmasJones and Judy Obscure.  I originally came here to discuss "The Other Side of Paradise" (in which I think the ex did it and essentially got away with a slap on the wrist), and you guys are talking about another case about someone named Lauren who had a dog named Butterbean.  Apparently, I've missed a case somewhere.  Sigh.  It's difficult to keep up with true crime, even in the summer.  Eben though there are many repeats, the possibility of updates always exists.

• Love 2

Tex McIver: The jury's decision made absolutely no sense to me.  Intent to shoot her, but not to kill her?  My opinion from the 48 Hours thread hasn't changed.  Anything with negligent manslaughter I'd buy, but nothing that points to murder because I don't think the prosecution proved intent AT ALL!  I think the prosecution was so fixated on showing that Tex was not a wonderful person.  He might not have been, but that's not evidence of murder.  There turned out to not be a second will that anyone could find, and the relationship with Austin did not seem that strange to me.  He was their godson, and Tex and Diane did not have any kids of their own.  I've heard of people who take their godson responsibilities extremely seriously and are very close with that child.  The only difference is that Diane and Tex had lots of money.  If they wanted to blow a big fat wad on kids parties, so be it.

I also Diane's co-workers didn't like Tex.  He might have said some eyebrow-raising things, but that's not proof of anything.  I think the sale of Diane's clothes and jewelry was very overblown.  It happened two and a half months after her death, not two days or two weeks.  Even if her estate didn't have debts to pay, selling all that stuff made perfect sense to me.  What else was he going to do with it?  I think people were so awed by it because she was so wealthy.  If Tex had been Regular Joe Tex in suburbia holding a garage sale on his front lawn, no one would have cared.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Echoing ChristmasJones and Judy Obscure.  I originally came here to discuss "The Other Side of Paradise" (in which I think the ex did it and essentially got away with a slap on the wrist), and you guys are talking about another case about someone named Lauren who had a dog named Butterbean.  Apparently, I've missed a case somewhere.  Sigh.  It's difficult to keep up with true crime, even in the summer.  Eben though there are many repeats, the possibility of updates always exists.

Well, you must watch the case with Butterbean. 

I'm really conflicted about this case and what bothers me is that if his intent was to kill his wife, why shoot through the back of her seat?  If the intent was murder, why not aim for her head, so the odds of killing her are greatest?   That's why I question the scenario and give Tex the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Tex McIver: The jury's decision made absolutely no sense to me.  Intent to shoot her, but not to kill her?  My opinion from the 48 Hours thread hasn't changed.  Anything with negligent manslaughter I'd buy, but nothing that points to murder because I don't think the prosecution proved intent AT ALL!  I think the prosecution was so fixated on showing that Tex was not a wonderful person.  He might not have been, but that's not evidence of murder.  There turned out to not be a second will that anyone could find, and the relationship with Austin did not seem that strange to me.  He was their godson, and Tex and Diane did not have any kids of their own.  I've heard of people who take their godson responsibilities extremely seriously and are very close with that child.  The only difference is that Diane and Tex had lots of money.  If they wanted to blow a big fat wad on kids parties, so be it.

I also Diane's co-workers didn't like Tex.  He might have said some eyebrow-raising things, but that's not proof of anything.  I think the sale of Diane's clothes and jewelry was very overblown.  It happened two and a half months after her death, not two days or two weeks.  Even if her estate didn't have debts to pay, selling all that stuff made perfect sense to me.  What else was he going to do with it?  I think people were so awed by it because she was so wealthy.  If Tex had been Regular Joe Tex in suburbia holding a garage sale on his front lawn, no one would have cared.

I agree totally about him selling her clothes.  I know there are people who have to rent storage units for the extent of their lives because that was grandma's stuff and anything she had ever touched has great sentimental value.  Then there's people like me who just don't make that connection with the things my loved one's owned unless it's something very personal like a quilt she had made herself. or a locket she wore everyday.

I don't think the jury's decision made sense either, but once the judge told the stymied jury to go back and try harder, I think they just came up with something that would satisfy the ones who thought it was murder without making the other jurors too upset.  I can only guess the one's who thought "murder," were unwilling to go as low as negligent manslaughter.

The slow ride to the hospital and the lack of any real reason to be holding the gun -- plus, if he was frightened enough t think he needed the gun, why would he drift off to sleep? -- all seemed fishy to me. 

I  wish they had a special law, something  beyond negligent manslaughter, for people who buy guns and then mishandle them enough to kill another person.   A gun is not something you need to have around like a car which might result in a deadly accident.  Tex willfully bought that handgun, decided to keep it in the car,  and asked to hold it inside the car.  That, all by itself, put the two women in danger.  If he then killed one of the with it, accident or not,  I'm ready to throw the book at him because there was absolutely no excuse for him to put them at such risk.

• Love 13

I’m with others who are/were on the fence about Tex McIver. I live in Atlanta as well and this was a big story here. Though I didn’t follow it. 

I didn’t think much of him selling her clothes etc. two months after the fact either, but this never goes over well with the public no matter whether rich or not, if the person whose items are being sold died under suspicious circumstances. 

He did exhibit some bad behavior in trying to get the friend to lie who was driving and the other friend to retract the BLM statement he’d made, but I think it all kind of fell in line with what seemed to be his paranoid mindset.

I thought the memorial party or whatever it was that her company did in her honor with her clothes, car and other items on display was creepy and strange. 

After watching this episode, I too came to conclude that what happened was likely involuntary/negligent manslaughter at worst. If he wanted her dead, being that he did have money, there were a number of ways he could’ve gotten rid of her without what some are deeming as “crime of opportunity” that turned out to be very sloppy and ultimately got him convicted of murder anyway.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Guess he took a class called “How Not to Get Away With Murder.”

I wonder how he got the master keys. I wonder if that apartment complex rents out the “murder unit.”

I've seen too many of these shows, and I was very reluctant to turn my key over to the condo manager. It's helpful if you lose your keys, but what if the maintenance guy is a murderer?? 

11 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

I had met Tex before this incident. He's always been a looney tunes kind of guy. While I don't think this was a case of premeditation, I do think that he took the opportunity when he had it. She was dumb to hand him the gun, but stupidity isn't permission to murder. 

Strange case. 

You met him? Do tell! I agree that it was a crime of opportunity. 

• Love 4

Does anyone have an opinion on Saturday night's two hour Dateline about the poisoning case? In the end, the forensics seemed to point to the woman who was convicted, but she had no motive as far as I could tell. Very strange. At first I thought she could be being framed by the son, but I guess they ruled that out. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, missy jo said:

Does anyone have an opinion on Saturday night's two hour Dateline about the poisoning case? In the end, the forensics seemed to point to the woman who was convicted, but she had no motive as far as I could tell. Very strange. At first I thought she could be being framed by the son, but I guess they ruled that out. 

I’ve seen this one twice now, and I still just don’t know what to think. If Katie truly did it, she must be straight up insane given that her alleged motive was to rekindle with the son (who abused her and whom she dumped, if I recall). 

The husband carrying on with the sister seems highly fishy and perhaps a motive. I know they claim they didn’t get together until after the death but I am skeptical. 

It is truly puzzling. The daughters are invested in believing Katie guilty because that lets their dad and brother off the hook. I doubt their objectivity. The sisters believe Katie to be innocent and I tend to trust their opinions. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’ve seen this one twice now, and I still just don’t know what to think.

Same here.  The only thing I'm sure of is that the two daughters of the victim are the very last word in whiney criers, they could get jobs as hired mourners for big funerals.  I know they lost their mother and I'm very sorry for that,  but I wanted to hose them down with cold water  and beg them to get a grip for a few minutes.  Think what life must be like for their husbands.

• Love 12
(edited)

I didn't find either Diane or Tex particularly likable, so it is hard for me to root for either one. Not that I think Diane deserved to die, but I do think it was an accident committed by a doddering old man. 

That's where I landed too. I think Tex was "eccentric" to say the least, which is why his behavior was so prone to suspicion.

I  wish they had a special law, something  beyond negligent manslaughter, for people who buy guns and then mishandle them enough to kill another person.   A gun is not something you need to have around like a car which might result in a deadly accident.  Tex willfully bought that handgun, decided to keep it in the car,  and asked to hold it inside the car.  That, all by itself, put the two women in danger.  If he then killed one of the with it, accident or not,  I'm ready to throw the book at him because there was absolutely no excuse for him to put them at such risk.

Yes! I don't want to get all political here but to me this case showed how dangerous it is for a lot of these "eccentrics" to have guns at the ready. I do buy that he thought he needed a gun in the car for protection when driving through neighborhoods he considered sketchy . . . i.e. "a little too dark." Because, he's just that guy. And this is where it got him. It's a case for stricter gun control legislation if you ask me. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

It's odd. There are five different Dateline episodes where I have either known the victim, the murderer, or the family. 

Wow! That is something. I've never known a victim/murderer/family, but a former intern from my old office showed up on an episode (he became an attorney in the DA's office) and I lost my mind!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, veronicamers said:

Wow! That is something. I've never known a victim/murderer/family, but a former intern from my old office showed up on an episode (he became an attorney in the DA's office) and I lost my mind!

One of my law school classmates now is an LA County DA, and has appeared on Dateline multiple times - was so weird the first time I saw him on it!  Have had others that took place where I live, but thankfully never knew any victims or murderers personally...

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I do buy that he thought he needed a gun in the car for protection when driving through neighborhoods he considered sketchy . . . i.e. "a little too dark." Because, he's just that guy

Tex is also from an older generation.  He's 75, and the reality is that his viewpoint about certain neighborhoods is not unheard of in pep[le who inhabit his age group.  I was also shocked that the jury didn't give more weight to the condition that was diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic.  The Mayo Clinic is not junk science, and it was noted that Tex was asleep.  The gun could have still been fired even if it wasn't cocked.  It would be more difficult to do, but it could still be done.  I mentioned in the 48 Hours thread that I also startle easily due to my disability.  I have often been known to jerk or flail for an instant if I'm really startled.  I could completely squeeze something VERY FIRMLY if I were startled, and it would be a total (screwed up) reflex  I completely agree that he shouldn't have been holding the gun,, but the fact that he was diagnosed with a condition where he could flail during sleep and he was indeed asleep does impact the whole cocked/unclocked issue, in my opinion.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

It's strange to know the murderer. You kind of start going back over it and seeing if you could have spotted any sign. I work in PR and Communications, including taking photos of events. A few years ago there was a big murder case where the police came calling me to get copies of photos from a ribbon cutting and contract signing because two of the people there were thought to be involved in a murder and having an affair. 

Oh, that's freaky. 

I always think about that, too, though, yeah, with these kinds of stories. It's always interesting to see how the people who knew a murderer try and reconcile and deal with that fact.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, Ohmo said:

and the relationship with Austin did not seem that strange to me.  He was their godson, and Tex and Diane did not have any kids of their own.  I've heard of people who take their godson responsibilities extremely seriously and are very close with that child.  The only difference is that Diane and Tex had lots of money.  If they wanted to blow a big fat wad on kids parties, so be it.

Tex has 3 children from his first marriage.  He has grandchildren. He has virtually no relationship with two of his children. And a strained relationship with the third. Also Austin, the godson has a brother a couple of years older than he is. I feel sorry for him with all the attention that was lavished  on Austin. 

Edited by Cara
  • Love 7
On 6/23/2018 at 10:30 AM, Mama No Life said:

Just finished the one from last night.  Tex seemed crazy.  I know I should talk about the crime but I really want to see if anyone noticed how the victim (Diane?) kissed?  She literally enveloped his lips with her own.  Like she couldn't make them move. But given how much lip filler her buddy Danny Jo had I wouldn't be surprised....

I told my girlfriend that the way Diane kissed was probably the motive for the crime. Life is too short to be kissing bad kissers. 

On a serious note, I am in the crime of opportunity camp. As a responsible gun-owner, I wouldn't do any of the things with my handgun Tex did that night. 

I don't think I know anyone who's been on Dateline, but three girls in my high school were murdered by their boyfriends within a one-year period. If there'd been a Dateline back then, I'm sure they'd have done a story on it. I was friends with one victim; my sister was friends with another. We didn't know the third one well (it was a huge high school.)

I also had a former boss who was shot and killed by a guy he'd fired a few days prior. The dude walked right into the office, said a few hellos, calmly went down the hall to the boss's office and shot him. I'd enjoyed working with the killer and was shocked when it happened. It's weird to see people you know in these tragic news stories. For the record, the boss didn't light up room; he was a tyrant who enjoyed making his employees cry. He didn't deserve to die, of course. 

Speaking of the sanctifying of victims, I saw a comedian once who did a great bit about that. He said just once he'd love to see someone say, "Oh, that guy was a total dick. I'm surprised someone didn't kill him sooner!" 

• Love 4
(edited)

Since you were commenting on knowing people who had murdered, I wanted to run something by you.  Even though I grew up in a very conservative background, heavily involved in church, nice neighborhood, family oriented, etc. My family and I have personally known quite a few people who either killed or were murdered, went missing or were found deceased. It goes back to the 1960's. The last one happened a few months ago.    I know it sounds bizarre.  I'm toying with a book idea, but, some of these cases are still not solved and it's a little intimidating, if you know what I mean. One occurred in another state.   It would take a lot of time for me to gather police records, newspaper articles, do personal interviews, etc.  but, I really think it would be fascinating. I'm such a private person. I'm not sure how I feel about it.   The number is over 10. What do you think? Oh, I know it might be rather morbid, so, there's that too. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Since you were commenting on knowing people who had murdered, I wanted to run something by you.  Even though I grew up in a very conservative background, heavily involved in church, nice neighborhood, family oriented, etc. My family and I have personally known quite a few people who either killed or were murdered, went missing or were found deceased. It goes back to the 1960's. The last one happened a few months ago.    I know it sounds bizarre.  I'm toying with a book idea, but, some of these cases are still not solved and it's a little intimidating, if you know what I mean. One occurred in another state.   It would take a lot of time for me to gather police records, newspaper articles, do personal interviews, etc.  but, I really think it would be fascinating. I'm such a private person. I'm not sure how I feel about it.   The number is over 10. What do you think? Oh, I know it might be rather morbid, so, there's that too. 

As a lover of true crime books, I'd say go for it. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, teebax said:

As a lover of true crime books, I'd say go for it. 

Thanks.  Maybe, that's why I was always drawn to true crime too.  I'm juggling two careers right now, but, as soon as I can slow down a bit, I just might explore it further.  I do think it's unique.  The one downside is unearthing painful memories for the families.  I may make some calls and see if it's feasible. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 10:56 PM, missy jo said:

It seemed to me that the evidence did prove she was guilty.  She's just one of those people who is truly without a conscience.  That's how she is able to be perceived as so sweet, but, she really isn't.  It's sad that she has people in her camp who are blinded by her and that they will continue to support her, which will take up so much time and energy for many years.  It's doubtful, she'll ever accept responsibility.  I actually wonder what else that she may have done over the years, that hasn't come to light yet.  Her ex-boyfriend, in retrospect, believes that she poisoned him too, but, they couldn't prove it.  I would be very suspect of her. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Since you were commenting on knowing people who had murdered, I wanted to run something by you.  Even though I grew up in a very conservative background, heavily involved in church, nice neighborhood, family oriented, etc. My family and I have personally known quite a few people who either killed or were murdered, went missing or were found deceased. 

Sounds exactly like the type of setup for a true crime book/show. How many times have we heard people say some variation of, "Oh, this town is so quiet/the family/townspeople are all church-going, God-fearing folks/everyone knows everyone here, we just couldn't imagine somebody being murdered here!" I think you'd definitely have a story worth telling there, for sure. 

I'm sorry you've seen so much tragedy. 

• Love 4
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Sounds exactly like the type of setup for a true crime book/show. How many times have we heard people say some variation of, "Oh, this town is so quiet/the family/townspeople are all church-going, God-fearing folks/everyone knows everyone here, we just couldn't imagine somebody being murdered here!" I think you'd definitely have a story worth telling there, for sure. 

I'm sorry you've seen so much tragedy. 

Thank you.  Only one of the victims was a member of my family and it occurred many years ago.   The rest were friends or family members of friends, classmates, etc.  that we knew.  Some were business people that we knew.

I know that with the true crime tv shows, the surviving victims, often say that you just never think something like that could happen in their community....well, people in my family's community don't say that, because it often has happened.  People that I met in college, graduate school and in my new career, (new city), don't know anyone personally who has been murdered or a victim of murder, so, for me to have a long list....it's bizarre.  Even by my standards.  It's really baffling.  Most of the crimes have been solved.  There are just a few that are still cold cases. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2018 at 5:46 PM, JudyObscure said:

The slow ride to the hospital and the lack of any real reason to be holding the gun -- plus, if he was frightened enough t think he needed the gun, why would he drift off to sleep? -- all seemed fishy to me. 

I believe he'd had too much to drink and was passing out.  

On 6/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, Enero said:

I thought the memorial party or whatever it was that her company did in her honor with her clothes, car and other items on display was creepy and strange. 

Me too!!!  I get she was rich and all that, but having mannequins with her clothes, etc, was just very strange. 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:26 AM, XrystalPond said:

It's odd. There are five different Dateline episodes where I have either known the victim, the murderer, or the family. 

No offense, but if we ever met in real life, I would run the other way.  

• Love 4

Wow. Yeah, that's very freaky indeed. I don't personally know anyone who's been murdered and I'm in my 30s. 

That sucks that your family's community has become so jaded about that stuff. Yes, the whole "we never thought anything like this could happen here" mantra is cliche, because (and I don't mean this to sound paranoid or anything) no town is ever completely immune to this kind of crime, sadly...but still, it's also perfectly reasonable for people to want to believe and expect that the town they live in will be at least relatively safe overall. It's scary to think that somebody can come along and shatter that notion of safety so quickly.

I'm glad, at least, that most of the cases involving the people you know have been solved. At least their loved ones have some answers and some proper resolution to the crime. Hopefully the ones that remain open will be solved in time, too. 

• Love 1
On 6/23/2018 at 8:50 PM, atlantaloves said:

Oh, and guys she was not the salt of the earth nor would she give you the shirt off her back. Ha! 

Do tell more!

• Love 5

As a responsible gun-owner, I wouldn't do any of the things with my handgun Tex did that night. 

But that's just the point. Clearly, Tex was not a responsible gun owner. It's like saying "as a sane person, I would never do what this crazy person did." By all accounts this guy was an oddball. I also don't want to sound like I'm victim blaming here, but his wife, or the friend driving the car should have actively discouraged a guy like that from holding a gun in his lap especially if they realized he had nodded off. 

I do think the conviction itself was somewhat justified in that it was not based on intentional homicide but on a felony of mishandling a firearm. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But that's just the point. Clearly, Tex was not a responsible gun owner. It's like saying "as a sane person, I would never do what this crazy person did." By all accounts this guy was an oddball. I also don't want to sound like I'm victim blaming here, but his wife, or the friend driving the car should have actively discouraged a guy like that from holding a gun in his lap especially if they realized he had nodded off. 

Agreed,  Being an irresponsible gun owner or a jerk isn't the same thing as being a murderer.  That's why even the "opportunity" theory isn't solid to me.  I can see that an opportunity existed, but I see no evidence that he intended to take advantage of the opportunity.  He didn't suggest the route.  In fact, he appeared to tell the women that this was not a good idea.  He did not pick a fight or start an argument, which to me, would have shown some evidence of intent.  All he did was ask for the gun, which was always kept in the car.  Negligent and reckless?  All day long and worthy of prison time, but I think we're getting into mind-reading to get intent out of her handing him the gun.  To me, what was proven was a) he fired a gun, b) an opportunity existed (because of the presence of the gun) for someone to get hurt, and c) someone was shot.  All of the other stuff was "could have," not "proven," at least not proven enough for me to convict someone of murder.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, iMonrey said:

I do think the conviction itself was somewhat justified in that it was not based on intentional homicide but on a felony of mishandling a firearm. 

I think that as posted above, the reason Tex got the murder conviction is due to him mishandling the gun.  And, under felony murder rule, if you are committing a felony and someone is killed, even if you didn't intend for anyone to die, then, it's still murder, under this statute.  It can end up creating a very serious conviction for someone who had no intention of someone dying. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 6/25/2018 at 8:26 AM, XrystalPond said:

Wow, that’s fascinating.  Would you mind sharing which episodes?  

45 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:
  1. A rerun of one ran today on CBS in Atlanta. Murder in Broad Daylight. That's the Andrea Sneiderman case, or as my Jewish husband calls it - when Jews go bad. That's the case where my photos from the ribbon cutting and contract signing at GE were used as evidence of the affair between the murderer and the wife. 
  2. The Tex McIver one that ran Friday night was one. I interviewed him for a story on a case he was working on.
  3. Justice for Sparkle - I didn't know her, but her stepmother was a prominent reporter on the news in Atlanta. I worked with her stepmother quite a bit and remember when the murder happened. Her mother was at a press conference for a school opening when she got a call about her stepdaughter being murdered.
  4. Fred Tokars case - he hired a hitman to murder his wife right in front of their two sons. I actually babysat the boys a few times when I was still a teenager.
  5. And then the Lita Sullivan murder. She was an African American socialite married to a white man named James Sullivan. The day their divorce was final, his hired hitman shot her at the front door after pretending to deliver her flowers. Her father was a board member for the DOT. I worked there and had quite a few dealings with him, not knowing about his connection to the case. Then one night I'm watching Dateline and there he was being interviewed.
  6. I had a slight connection to the Watcher. A good friend of mine attended law school at Mercer and had just moved out of those same apartments a few months before because she got married. She knew all the victim and the murderer there. 

I’ve seen all those cases covered.  How awful for you.  Thank you for sharing.  

• Love 4
22 hours ago, XrystalPond said:
  1. A rerun of one ran today on CBS in Atlanta. Murder in Broad Daylight. That's the Andrea Sneiderman case, or as my Jewish husband calls it - when Jews go bad. That's the case where my photos from the ribbon cutting and contract signing at GE were used as evidence of the affair between the murderer and the wife. 
  2. The Tex McIver one that ran Friday night was one. I interviewed him for a story on a case he was working on.
  3. Justice for Sparkle - I didn't know her, but her stepmother was a prominent reporter on the news in Atlanta. I worked with her stepmother quite a bit and remember when the murder happened. Her mother was at a press conference for a school opening when she got a call about her stepdaughter being murdered.
  4. Fred Tokars case - he hired a hitman to murder his wife right in front of their two sons. I actually babysat the boys a few times when I was still a teenager.
  5. And then the Lita Sullivan murder. She was an African American socialite married to a white man named James Sullivan. The day their divorce was final, his hired hitman shot her at the front door after pretending to deliver her flowers. Her father was a board member for the DOT. I worked there and had quite a few dealings with him, not knowing about his connection to the case. Then one night I'm watching Dateline and there he was being interviewed.
  6. I had a slight connection to the Watcher. A good friend of mine attended law school at Mercer and had just moved out of those same apartments a few months before because she got married. She knew almost all the people there, including the victim and the murderer. 

Holy crap!

• Love 3

It does make you feel uneasy when the murders are so close.  Whenever they do the murders on cases near me, it's hard to watch. I lost a lot of sleep after this murder.   Unusual Suspects featured the rape and murder of Stephanie Bennett.  Just a horrible case that occurred in the city I was living. Her apt wasn't near me, however, the KILLER  worked not far from my office and home! They later discovered that he was stalking another woman to kill.  Freaked me out at the time. Turns out he was a serial killer and he killed himself in his cell before trial.  (A good friend of mine lived in her apt complex and had met her, but, was not a friend.) They got this killer with DNA.

https://www.inquisitr.com/2752722/stephanie-bennett-drew-planten-investigation-discovery-shines-light-on-lake-lynn-rape-murder-of-north-carolina-woman/

Kathy Taft was raped and murdered while in the bed after just coming home from the doctor from having facial surgery.  This happened in my neighborhood, maybe 10 blocks away.  I almost lost it after this one. Many sleepless nights.  The killer lived pretty close by.  They got him with DNA too! (I had worked for her husband's best friend when I was in college.)

https://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/13665559/?s=1

These were both stranger killers.  

These are not on my list for my book though. 

Both cases, were

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It does make you feel uneasy when the murders are so close.  Whenever they do the murders on cases near me, it's hard to watch.

Indeed. It's not a murder in my town's case (well, not an officially proven murder, anyway)*, but Jodi Huisentruit's still unsolved disappearance happened where I live (I was 10 when she disappeared, but I definitely remember the story being in the news), and it's been that case for our town, that kinda just...lingers and haunts the area. It's especially weird when they do shows on these cases and you see shots of your hometown throughout. 

*There has been the occasional murder in my town/area of the state, too, but those were personal disputes that got solved pretty fast, and none of them seemed to rise to the level of national conversation. At least, not that I'm aware of, anyway. 

@XrystalPond....damn. That is a lot of cases. Ye gods. I've seen most of those stories, too. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Indeed. It's not a murder in my town's case (well, not an officially proven murder, anyway)*, but Jodi Huisentruit's still unsolved disappearance happened where I live (I was 10 when she disappeared, but I definitely remember the story being in the news), and it's been that case for our town, that kinda just...lingers and haunts the area. It's especially weird when they do shows on these cases and you see shots of your hometown throughout. 

*There has been the occasional murder in my town/area of the state, too, but those were personal disputes that got solved pretty fast, and none of them seemed to rise to the level of national conversation. At least, not that I'm aware of, anyway. 

@XrystalPond....damn. That is a lot of cases. Ye gods. I've seen most of those stories, too. 

I know that this young woman's case has been featured, because I have seen it.  In fact, I think I've seen more than once. It is a HUGE mystery.  Man, I wish they could figure it out. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I can't begin to imagine what it's been like for her family. So many years and no answers. They've had billboards in the area recently trying to appeal to people for new tips, since this year would've marked Jodi's 50th birthday. 

The case has taken some rather weird twists and turns over the years, too, which adds to the creepiness of it all. 

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I can't begin to imagine what it's been like for her family. So many years and no answers. They've had billboards in the area recently trying to appeal to people for new tips, since this year would've marked Jodi's 50th birthday. 

The case has taken some rather weird twists and turns over the years, too, which adds to the creepiness of it all. 

Someone took her in the parking lot.  So, they likely knew her schedule.  I would suspect the guy she spent the previous evening with watching a video or someone in her apt complex. In March 2018,  the police executed a search warrant on the friend she spent the evening with, right before her disappearance to get his vehicles' GPS!  I hope they found something and are looking for remains. That could take a good while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodi_Huisentruit 

• Love 1

Tonight's episode about Dwight Jones was so disturbing.  I can't believe she was paying $6,000 a month to him in spousal support and he was driving a Mercedes on top of it.  I did wonder where he was getting his money from when they show started because they said he rarely worked and would sometimes sleep for days, not leaving the house, mostly going on tirades.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Tenarife60 said:

and he was driving a Mercedes on top of it

The Mercedes was from 2001 so it was either from the marriage or he bought it used which wouldn’t have been that expensive.

• Love 1
On 6/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, XrystalPond said:
  6. I had a slight connection to the Watcher. A good friend of mine attended law school at Mercer and had just moved out of those same apartments a few months before because she got married. She knew almost all the people there, including the victim and the murderer. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/08/06/nyregion/life-term-imposed-in-rooftop-slaying-of-aspiring-actress.html

My close encounter is that I heard this murder happening.  No, I am not kidding.  I lived in the adjoining building in NYC.  My husband was out of town.  I heard the girl on the roof screaming help me help me.  Blood curdling screams, as you can only imagine that term could be.  I called 911, and apparently so did many neighbors.  It was not a Kitty Genovese situation.  The police came immediately, but it was too late.  I had to move out of that building soon after. 

8 hours ago, Tenarife60 said:

Tonight's episode about Dwight Jones was so disturbing.  I can't believe she was paying $6,000 a month to him in spousal support and he was driving a Mercedes on top of it.  I did wonder where he was getting his money from when they show started because they said he rarely worked and would sometimes sleep for days, not leaving the house, mostly going on tirades.  

This was so disturbing, I agree.  I appreciate that they are trying to get publicity for the lack of protection for domestic violence victims.  How is it after he kidnapped the child and held him hostage he had to have supervised visits? 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This has got to be one of the shortest from the initial crime to airing the episode. 

When I was reading the brief write-up online of what the episode was about I thought it was going to be about the serial killer in Maryvale (or what they dubbed 'Scary-vale'), also a Phoenix suburb.  I had wondered whatever became of that and if the guy was ever caught.  On Wikipedia they said one of the suspects was shot dead by a woman he tried to rob.  She pulled out her pistol and shot him (made me think it was Meghan McCain and all the guns to brags about having, LOL), and the other suspect ended up in jail, then the killings stopped.  

11 hours ago, Tenarife60 said:

I was absolutely floored that he not only got spousal support -- but that she was mandated to pay for (not just agree to) those supervised visits with the child he had held hostage.  He was convicted of a minor offense -- instead of any of the serious offenses which was ridiculous in itself-- so I'm sure his attorney used that to claim he was not the monster she was portraying in the divorce and custody battle.

• Love 11