Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: In a Flash

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A dry thunderstorm rolls over LA, bringing in a series of lightning strike emergencies for the 118 and leaves a first responder's life hanging in the balance. Athena and May go undercover at the rehab facility to help Bobby with his investigation into his sponsor's mysterious death. Maddie dreads her parents visit to her and Chimney's new and unfinished house, while Chimney get a surprise of his own from a visiting Albert.

Airdate: 03/06/2023

(edited)
4 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Anyone know Oliver’s contact status?

Nope. 
Based on this episode, I guess that would be a spoiler they would be keeping under wraps?
I mean. It kind looks like the sperm donor arc was leading up to this——even though IRL, if it was a no-involvement agreement, this would be the end of it. 
And maybe that will be the outcome. Saves on having to deal with a lot of guest cast cameos, including a baby. 

I was so confused at first with May being a [fake] addict.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

Well, that was a goddamn intense episode. It was a lot darker than I thought it would be, between the case with the pregnant woman having her baby in a car crash, the father who got struck by lightning under sand that turned into glass, and then with the ending with Buck getting struck by lightning and going into cardiac arrest.

Seriously, the scene with the baby being stuck in the car was horrifying. This is an 8pm show and that scene felt like it should be on at 10pm. 

May going undercover with Athena was an interesting choice, but I didn't hate it. It does seem like May got the other woman to help them out, at least. Bobby obsessing for four months over Wendell's death does make sense and I'm glad we seem to still be exploring. Plus, I like the slight realism that Bobby's been looking into this for months and there's been little progress. I appreciate that over him solving the case within days. 

Buck and Maddie's parents are WAY too chill. Something's going on with them and I don't buy that it's simply because they're grandparents. They have an angle.

I'm not loving the perspective that the show is taking with Chimney and his father. I do not like the idea of everyone encouraging Chimney to move past what his father did to him. Sometimes, I think it's ok to cut off toxic people, especially ones who hurt you deeply. You do not always have to take the path of forgiveness and I kind of wish one person was on Chimney's side about his dad. I like Albert typically, but he stepped over the line on this one. 

I really can't imagine them killing Buck off. This show doesn't DO the killing major characters thing. They're not gonna do it halfway through the season, either. 

Not a bad premiere back. It was more intense and went darker than I thought it would.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not loving the perspective that the show is taking with Chimney and his father. I do not like the idea of everyone encouraging Chimney to move past what his father did to him. Sometimes, I think it's ok to cut off toxic people, especially ones who hurt you deeply. You do not always have to take the path of forgiveness and I kind of wish one person was on Chimney's side about his dad. I like Albert typically, but he stepped over the line on this one. 

This!!! When Chim's brother said Jee-Yun deserves a grandfather, I said out loud not at the expense of Howie's emotional well-being. 

Howie's always been my fave, and I don't like to see him hurting. Stop it show, lol

Edited by Izzy85
  • Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I did appreciate Hen advising Chimney to basically tell his old man that’s he’s awful and to get stuffed. She was most certainly not advocating letting the guy back in.

• Like 16
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, that was a goddamn intense episode. It was a lot darker than I thought it would be, between the case with the pregnant woman having her baby in a car crash, the father who got struck by lightning under sand that turned into glass, and then with the ending with Buck getting struck by lightning and going into cardiac arrest....This is an 8pm show and that scene felt like it should be on at 10pm. 

They did have one of those warning screens at the beginning.

31 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Buck and Maddie's parents are WAY too chill. Something's going on with them and I don't buy that it's simply because they're grandparents. They have an angle.

Xanax?

• LOL 5
(edited)

This show! I forgot how intense it is sometimes. But, unlike Lone Star, even when their rescues are preposterous, it still comes across like tension with adrenaline, rather than as comical and absurd, even when it IS absurd. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I was so confused at first with May being a [fake] addict.

You're not the only one!  I thought I know I'm getting old but how did I not remember that May was using? Thank God they cleared that up quickly!  LOL!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, LtKelley said:

I mean, I agree that its ok to cut toxic people off, but what did Chimney's dad do? He was domineering and disapproved of the profession Chimney went into. In Chimney's eyes, he may have loved Albert more and ignored Chimney and Chimney's grief for his mom. There's reasons to go no contact - god knows the Buckley parents have earned some no contact for *never telling Buck about his older brother* - but being emotionally cold and domineering doesn't hit my "never speak to him again" vibes. Frankly Maddie has been far more emotionally abusive to Chimney hands down and he does seem to forgive her. 

It's a bit more complicated than that. Beyond not having a loving relationship with Chimney throughout his childhood (where I think Chimney spoke to Hen or Maddie about how unloved he felt by his father), his dad abandoned him and his mom when he was a kid, and went to start another family. When Chimney's mom died when he was a teenager, I don't believe his father even tried to get him back (even though Chimney DID choose his friend's family as his caretakers). So yeah, I'd say that he was toxic enough to have Chimney rightfully wary of reconciling. Feeling unloved and then being abandoned is enough to be toxic. 

Maddie made her mistakes, 100%, but she did come back and she did apologize and she did work with Chimney to get their relationship to as close as where it was when they started. Chimney's dad, as far as I remember, hasn't even apologized for abandoning his son and treating him the way he did while he treats Albert better. His dad would need to put in a LOT of work, and I haven't seen evidence that he cares enough to try. Even in this episode, I didn't see a hint of regret for how he treated his son. I just saw a lot of Albert stepping in. 

Albert is pushing for a reconciliation when he probably doesn't fully understand the situation. It's Chimney's dad who needs to make the effort, not Chimney. Chimney doesn't need to be the bigger person here by reconciling first. And it doesn't seem like his dad is interested in reconciling, not as much as Albert hopes.

Plus, the idea that he needs to reconcile because Jee needs both sets of grandparents is not a good enough reason. It makes the reconciliation seem forced. Yes, it is A reason, but there needs to be a true desire to reconcile on both ends. And I don't see it from Chimney's father in any way.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I got a creepy vibe off Hen's kid secretly contacting his bio dad. 

I'm not so sure it is his bio dad. Has this ever been discussed/verified? If it has then I likely missed it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, preeya said:

I'm not so sure it is his bio dad. Has this ever been discussed/verified? If it has then I likely missed it.

I just caught a re-run a couple of days ago where Denny's bio-mom (the drug addict) pointed out a man in the park standing a few yards away from the group and said he was Denny's dad (the man waved).  It was definitely the same actor playing him. I also seem to remember an episode where Denny's adopted moms met with the social worker and they all talked about what kind of contact the man would have with Denny, but I don't remember if they discussed verifying that he was Denny's father. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, that was a goddamn intense episode. It was a lot darker than I thought it would be, between the case with the pregnant woman having her baby in a car crash, the father who got struck by lightning under sand that turned into glass, and then with the ending with Buck getting struck by lightning and going into cardiac arrest

I had to hide my eyes with the dad. I was like, if they kill off this father …. Like, I was genuinely upset. And seeing the umbilical cord was jarring too.

They even put bags under Mae’s eyes when she went undercover as an addict. Nice touch.

I agree with whoever said that the senior Buckleys were acting too nice and they wonder what’s up.  

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Albert is pushing for a reconciliation when he probably doesn't fully understand the situation. It's Chimney's dad who needs to make the effort, not Chimney. Chimney doesn't need to be the bigger person here by reconciling first. And it doesn't seem like his dad is interested in reconciling, not as much as Albert hopes.

Chim’s dad really is an asshole - him butting into the Buckley’s business alone was incredibly out of line and inappropriate, and is an example of Chim’s dad NOT making any effort, just showing up and butting in and thinking he’s entitled to the respect of anyone in that room. Also, as I said in another thread, you can forgive someone and still not want them in your life, or have limited contact with them. Chim’s dad can be a grandfather and still not have much of a relationship with Chim, if that’s what Chim wants.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I had to hide my eyes with the dad. I was like, if they kill off this father …. Like, I was genuinely upset. And seeing the umbilical cord was jarring too.

There were a lot of harrowing shots this episode. Even the multiple shots of Buck dangling from the ladder was rough to see. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Also, as I said in another thread, you can forgive someone and still not want them in your life, or have limited contact with them. Chim’s dad can be a grandfather and still not have much of a relationship with Chim, if that’s what Chim wants.

This is so true. I can speak to this from real-life experience.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Plus, the idea that he needs to reconcile because Jee needs both sets of grandparents is not a good enough reason. It makes the reconciliation seem forced. Yes, it is A reason, but there needs to be a true desire to reconcile on both ends. And I don't see it from Chimney's father in any way.

Chimney’s father seems to have too much of his own baggage full of trauma to realistically unpack on a show where he’s a tertiary character.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They did have one of those warning screens at the beginning.

They did, but I still wasn't prepared for how dark they went with multiple scenes.

Also, I'm in Canada, so the Global TV announcer was practically yelling the warning.

"There are scenes that contain mature ADULT!!!!!! content." 

Thanks, Global TV Guy. I don't know why you had to emphasize the adult part, but thanks for warning me every commercial break end.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

Believe me when I say that I agree that it wasn't a perfect, loving, dad-son situation. Chimney says Dad abandoned him and Mom and went off to another family... Is that actually what happened? Sure, maybe, or maybe Chim's mom ordered Dad away and refused access. I can tell from experience that family events look different and are remembered differently by different people. My sibling remembers a toxic event where she insists our mother "punched her in the eye leaving a bruise" over a minor incident at school. My own memory was that she was slapped open handed, with no bruising, AFTER she spent a good ten minutes screaming at our mother over how she had the right to run away at 15.

My point? Mom was toxic but Sis wasn't exactly lil miss innocent and thirty years later, she's misremembering/enhancing the tale. 

I don't think Chim needs to invite dad over for the big game but it might be healthy for him to at least hear what Dad's side of the story was. Albert seems to have been raised by a somewhat different father, maybe Dad has regrets and maybe Chim would feel better knowing that. Thats all I am saying. Chimney isn't necessarily an accurate reporter of what happened in his childhood. 

Sure, I do get what you're saying, 100%. 

I think, if Chimney's dad showed ANY signs of wanting to reconcile in this episode (beyond just showing up at his house), maybe. But this episode was Albert pushing the reconciliation. Their dad didn't really show that he was there to admit his faults and express regret. If Chimney wants to hear him out, fine. I also think he has every right to tell his dad to screw off after that. Even if Chimney's mom HAD ordered his dad away, once she was gone, he had every opportunity to come back for his son. He didn't seem to even try until Chimney was older. And we haven't seen any evidence that Chimney is misremembering his father's treatment.

I just believe that Albert is 100% wrong in telling Chimney to essentially forgive their dad, or at least let him into his life, just for Jee's sake. Though IF there's a reason why this is being pushed now (I've seen a theory that maybe their dad is dying and this is the last chance of reconciliation), it WOULD make sense as to why Albert forced this reunion on Chimney, though still wrong.

Like this episode, the Buckley parents seem to be making an effort. It's weird and I'm highly suspicious of their intents but they're putting more effort than Chimney's father is. IF we can see that his father is attempting to reconcile and admit his faults, maybe I could see a reconciliation. But I just don't like the narrative that Chimney absolutely needs to let his father back in because of his child, as it feels manipulative, to an extent. And I hope Chimney puts his foot down on this because his father needs to make way more of an effort beyond just showing up. 

And maybe this IS leading to a reconciliation between father and son. Maybe Chimney's dad is there to apologize and make amends. I'm just saying that his father DID do things to Chimney that warrants the distant relationship and the reconciliation shouldn't be on Chimney, as he didn't do anything wrong. It's on his father to reach out and apologize and admit fault. It just feels like the show is leading to an arc where Chimney reaches out to his father first (with Albert pushing Chimney to form a relationship with their dad for Jee). I just need to see his father reach out and I'm very wary about that happening. 

Also, relating to this, something I DID notice in the episode was when Chimney saw his father on his doorstep, he didn't look pissed but I thought I saw a hint of a smile so it does seem like Chimney would be partially open to a reconciliation.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Like this episode, the Buckley parents seem to be making an effort. It's weird and I'm highly suspicious of their intents but they're putting more effort than Chimney's father is. 

Buck did make references to family therapy with his parents last season. The attitude change from them might be attributed to that plus some possible individual therapy for all parties.

One thing I noticed about both this show as well as Lonestar is the emphasis on forgiveness, healing and mental health care. Very few grudges are held long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I agree. Not ever relationship needs to be reconciled and many should not be. It's a weight off of your shoulders, and there's no need to put that weight back on, especially if there's no change in the other person. I kind of resent the constant messaging (in the world, not just in this episode) that you should make peace with toxic people.

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. Beyond not having a loving relationship with Chimney throughout his childhood (where I think Chimney spoke to Hen or Maddie about how unloved he felt by his father), his dad abandoned him and his mom when he was a kid, and went to start another family. When Chimney's mom died when he was a teenager, I don't believe his father even tried to get him back (even though Chimney DID choose his friend's family as his caretakers). So yeah, I'd say that he was toxic enough to have Chimney rightfully wary of reconciling. Feeling unloved and then being abandoned is enough to be toxic

Absolutely.

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Chim’s dad can be a grandfather and still not have much of a relationship with Chim, if that’s what Chim wants.

Given that the grandfather lives in Korea and rarely leaves, Jee would never have much of a relationship with him anyway, so that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to reconcile. Granted, all of my grandparents were dead before I was born and I've never had that kind of relationship, so my perspective may be different.

If Buck is dead, what I see happening is his parents fighting for custody of his friends' child. I hope it doesn't go that way.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 6

The trouble with splitting the season up with such a long break in between is that I have very little recollection of the whole Wendell thing so the plot about the rehab facility is going over my head. 

Otherwise, I did think it was a pretty good episode with the kinds of crazy rescues the show is known for. After the terrible season Lonestar has been this was like a welcome breath of fresh air. 

• Like 11
(edited)

The rescues are horrifying especially the ejected baby with the umbilical cord and all. Then we have Buck getting struck by lightning, dangling and lifeless. It’s too much…🫣

Denny’s storyline is quite scary. I don’t want anything bad to happen to that sweet boy.

Chim has done an amazing job refurbishing and transforming the Murder House into a lovely home.👏🏻

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 8
3 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Denny’s storyline is quite scary. I don’t want anything bad happens to that sweet boy.

As much as I don't like how he's hiding this from Karen and Hen (Denny, you know better!), I totally get why he's hiding it. I think he doesn't want to make his moms feel like they did something wrong. He doesn't seem to want to disappoint them. Even if that's naive thinking and Hen/Karen only want him to be safe, he's still a kid who is clearly craving a father figure in his life. I think he definitely deserves a better father figure. Denny, your Mama works with a lot of great father figures! 

His birth father, on the other hand, sucks for not telling Hen/Karen that Denny's reached out. Even if Denny should have told his moms, his birth father should have when he couldn't. He's the adult; he needs to set a better example by not keeping this from his moms. But it goes to show that his birth father isn't going to be reliable for Denny and he WILL be hurt by him in some way. I just haven't decided how yet.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Given that the grandfather lives in Korea and rarely leaves, Jee would never have much of a relationship with him anyway, so that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to reconcile. Granted, all of my grandparents were dead before I was born and I've never had that kind of relationship, so my perspective may be different.

I was very close to 3/4 of my grandparents so I do value those relationships - but I wasn’t suggesting that Chim reconcile to foment that relationship. Quite the opposite: that he and/or Maddie could encourage it without reconciliation between them. (And of course, if they felt like he was toxic to Jee Yun, they wouldn’t and shouldn’t encourage a relationship between them.)

53 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Chim has done an amazing job refurbishing and transforming the Murder House into a lovely home.

Yeah, I don’t remember much about it before but I think it was a pit, so they and their contractor did a great job. That outdoor patio is lovely.

• Like 4

I watched this on Hulu, so if there was a warning, I missed it. Whew, I was not ready for the intensity! Also, since it's been so long since the last episode, I too was confused for a second with Athena and May at the rehab facility.  Look at May doing her undercover work!  

I thought it was funny how Buck and Chim were so intentional in addressing each other by their government names during the family gathering. 

Buck hasn't been in physical peril for a minute, so he was due. I suspect he'll be okay. Especially since apparently he's learning to cook?  When did this happen? 

I came into the thread all "Team Chim! suck it, dad!"  Still, I appreciate the circumspect perspectives on potential reconciliation here. Food for thought.    

I found Hen's advice really astute, especially since it was about Chim, and not his father or Jee (who was SUPER adorable this episode). Love that friendship.  

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I kind of resent the constant messaging (in the world, not just in this episode) that you should make peace with toxic people.

Yeah, it is definitely pervasive in TV.  I think it is less than it used to be in popular culture.  Feels like there is more awareness these days on toxic relationships.  

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

If Buck is dead, what I see happening is his parents fighting for custody of his friends' child. I hope it doesn't go that way.

I hope not as I do not think they'd have standing to bring a custody suit.  The mom carrying the baby is the biological mother, right? And birth mother.  She'd have exclusive rights over any grandparents. 

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

His birth father, on the other hand, sucks for not telling Hen/Karen that Denny's reached out. Even if Denny should have told his moms, his birth father should have when he couldn't.

Yeah.  He did tell Denny he needs to tell his moms but he could as well.  I'm not sure what to read into that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Chim has done an amazing job refurbishing and transforming the Murder House into a lovely home.👏🏻

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that! Another reason I wish they wouldn't take such long breaks in the middle of the season. I couldn't figure out why the mother said it still needed work, it looked completely finished to me.

I hope not as I do not think they'd have standing to bring a custody suit. 

Oh, when has a little thing like reality ever gotten in the way of a 9-1-1 plot?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Chim has done an amazing job refurbishing and transforming the Murder House into a lovely home.

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah, I don’t remember much about it before but I think it was a pit, so they and their contractor did a great job. That outdoor patio is lovely.

Did Chim and Maddie have an extra $100K laying around for improvements? Or maybe a second mortgage? 
Because that's what those improvements look like to me. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I thought it was funny how Buck and Chim were so intentional in addressing each other by their government names during the family gathering.  

The Buckley parents dislike nicknames and really don’t like the use of ‘Buck.’ I’m sure the name thing was Buck trying to keep the peace.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, LtKelley said:

god knows the Buckley parents have earned some no contact for *never telling Buck about his older brother* - but being emotionally cold and domineering doesn't hit my "never speak to him again" vibes. 

Can you remind me what happened with the older brother? I picked up from context that they had a brother who died, but I have no memory of this storyline. 

I agree the house renovations looked quite costly. I am telling myself they did all their own labor, so they only paid for materials, but it would still be a lot. They did say Maddie's parents paid the downpayment for them.

I think the only ones we've seen with an expensive house are Athena and Bobby and I assume that her previous husband, who I think was an architect, paid for that.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Faceplant said:

Can you remind me what happened with the older brother? I picked up from context that they had a brother who died, but I have no memory of this storyline. 

Daniel Buckley was diagnosed with leukemia at 4yo. His parents and Maddie weren’t a match so Buck was conceived in 1991/92 to be his brother’s savior. He’s a donor baby.

Despite being a match, there were complications during the transplant and the bone marrow cells failed to graft, causing Daniel to relapse. He died a year later in 1993 at 8yo. His death led their parents to become distant from Maddie and Buck. They also made Maddie promise to never tell Buck about Daniel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was very close to 3/4 of my grandparents so I do value those relationships - but I wasn’t suggesting that Chim reconcile to foment that relationship. Quite the opposite: that he and/or Maddie could encourage it without reconciliation between them. (And of course, if they felt like he was toxic to Jee Yun, they wouldn’t and shouldn’t encourage a relationship between them.)

I think I conflated two topics. I just meant that in any case (Chim reconciling or not), Jee isn't going to have much of a relationship with her grandfather given the distance between them.

I don't devalue the relationships with grandparents, as much as I just don't know what that would be like. My own kids didn't feel like they had much of a relationship with their (late) grandparents, even though my parents were nearby and visited often, and we flew to visit my husband's mother as often as we could (which wasn't that often given our finances). I think it would be great to have that, I just have no experience of it on my own.

• Like 1

That certainly turned out to be an intense episode, I had to close my eyes when that baby came out of the pregnant woman in the taxi. I know that Buck will be fine, no main character actually dies on this show (Chim walked off a bar to the head) but seeing him dangling there was still pretty viscerally terrifying. I know that bad things happen to everyone on this show, but Maddie and Buck seriously cant catch a break. 

The Buckly parents were so chill it felt weird. I know that they made some amount of peace with Buck and Maddie in their last appearance, but they did such a 180 its like they smoked several bongs of pot to get to this level of chill. The situation with Chim and his dad is complicated, I never like when the media tries to push this idea that you have to forgive your relatives and keep them in your life, no matter how awful they are, just because your biologically related. Chim's dad has been pretty awful in his flashbacks so I cant blame him for not wanting to see him or being pissed that Albert blindsided him like this. But I can also see why Albert, who it seems has at least a tiny bit more warmth towards his parents than Chim, thinks that this could be a good idea. He really doesn't seem to get just how estranged Chim and their dad is, and he's probably thinking about how great its been for him and Chim to reconnect so of course its going to be great for their whole family to bond. Albert is sometimes a lot like Buck, a sweet puppy dog who wants everyone to be happy but doesn't think about the consequences of his actions as much as he should, even if he was well intentioned. 

I like that Hen told Chim that he should talk to his dad as a chance to unload on him and make him understand how bad of a dad he was, I can imagine that being very cathartic. 

This season of Lone Star has been so annoying, its really made me appreciate this show more. It certainly does a lot of the same things, soap opera plots, arcs that drag on, main characters getting hurt for obvious melodrama, but it usually handles those things a lot better. We still get a lot of rescues, unlike Lone Star which has had about three rescues this whole season, and the whole cast is used, no one gets shunted to the side to prop up the writers favorite characters. 

Look at Mae going undercover, I guessed pretty quickly what was going on after everything with Bobby and his suspicions about his sponsors death. Mae has had the wildest career path. 

• Like 5

I'm happy to see this bonkers show back. For some reason Lone Star doesn't land for me like Original Recipe 9-1-1. 

Athena and May going undercover was kind of fun. Athena looked great as a wealthy woman looking for somewhere to dump her junkie daughter.

Is JLH pregnant again? Between the boxy jackets and some weird blocking it feels like something is going on.

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, marceline said:

I'm happy to see this bonkers show back. For some reason Lone Star doesn't land for me like Original Recipe 9-1-1. 

Athena and May going undercover was kind of fun. Athena looked great as a wealthy woman looking for somewhere to dump her junkie daughter.

Is JLH pregnant again? Between the boxy jackets and some weird blocking it feels like something is going on.

The cast and the writers make a huge difference.

To my understanding, JLH is indeed pregnant, they're just not making it so on the show.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Mae has had the wildest career path. 

Between Mae and the kids of Lone Star, they could definitely spin off a 9-1-1 Kids show, but given:

12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The cast and the writers make a huge difference

even though the writers have the will to create kid-themed misadventures, the casting would be key.

Just musing.

• Like 2

To my understanding, JLH is indeed pregnant, they're just not making it so on the show.

JLH is not pregnant as of September last year according to this article. I think she is just having trouble losing the baby weight and the clothes they're putting her in to "disguise" her figure are actually more distracting than effective.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

I am appalled by her clothes.  I keep hoping they are part of her story line instead of them trying to hide her body.  Like, the clothes are a remnant of her PPD, and as she recovers, she'll start wearing clothes that fit and flatter. 

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 1:55 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Daniel Buckley was diagnosed with leukemia at 4yo. His parents and Maddie weren’t a match so Buck was conceived in 1991/92 to be his brother’s savior. He’s a donor baby.

Despite being a match, there were complications during the transplant and the bone marrow cells failed to graft, causing Daniel to relapse. He died a year later in 1993 at 8yo. His death led their parents to become distant from Maddie and Buck. They also made Maddie promise to never tell Buck about Daniel.

I have watched this show since the beginning, but somehow I completely have forgotten this storyline. Thanks for the recap! 

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
On 3/7/2023 at 9:13 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The rescues are horrifying especially the ejected baby with the umbilical cord and all.

I saw that happen in real life on the ID show Body Cam. On a very stormy late late night a young woman with an eighteen month old went into labor and her mom was driving her to the hospital and spun out in a traffic accident just as the young woman gave birth in the back seat. The newborn plus placenta was jolted out of her at the time of impact of the car into a telephone pole and the baby was missing in the dark. They didn't know if the baby was ejected out of the car (back window was blown out) onto the dark pavement somewhere or was still inside but the policeman finally found it after he located the umbilical cord, still attached of course,and followed it to the infant who was shoved way under the back seat. The woman's mom was standing outside the car crying hysterically while holding the eighteen month old (we can't find the baby! which confused the cop because she was holding a baby) while the policeman searched in the dark for the newborn. It was the most incredible thing I've seen. The baby was okay. 

So it was weird to see they used that real situation and incorporated it into this episode.

Yeah, it's fine to detach from a toxic person but it is for the affected person to decide whether that drastic measure is the right solution for them. It's okay for Albert to try to bring them together if the father and stepmother want to try to fix the situation but ultimately it is up to Chim if he wants to mend or detach. My mom was a terrible mother of kids, a good mother of adults, and an absolutely perfect grandmother to our children. So who knows what the right answer is?  Being a crappy parent of a child does not make you a toxic person. And there is always room for change and growth.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

My mom was a terrible mother of kids, a good mother of adults, and an absolutely perfect grandmother to our children.

My daughter's mother-in-law is the same. But, unlike the ripped-from-the-headlines-body-cam part of the episode, the family dynamics stories are presumably based on distorted memories of the writers rather than actual footage. 

14 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

The newborn plus placenta was jolted out of her at the time of impact of the car

Having carried 3 babies for an extra week each, I wonder if putting on a neck brace and then driving fast and slamming on the breaks would've sped things up a bit. Heh. Just kidding. Sort of.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Having carried 3 babies for an extra week each, I wonder if putting on a neck brace and then driving fast and slamming on the breaks would've sped things up a bit. Heh. Just kidding. Sort of.

My two were a month early each (no issues, thankfully) and very short delivery times. They were very kind to me. But with the second I lived in fear of being on the 6 o'clock news as a woman who gave birth on the side of the freeway.

Having the baby ejected is even more terrifying. Nothing at all like a Lobby Baby (Seth Meyer's stand up on his wife's experience is hilarious)

• Like 3