Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Lies Have Got No Legs

• Start Topic

Nicole regrets meeting Mahmoud's friends; Gabe has business blues; Debbie heads to Morocco despite warnings from her kids; Jeymi worries when Kris wants a weapon; Rishi's friend drops a truth bomb on Jen; Daniele and Yohan clash.

First Look: 03/03/23; TLC: 05/03/23; Discovery+: 05/03/23;

• Like 1

Rishi’s friend tells Jen about the family looking to arrange a marriage for him. Rishi does not immediately plan on telling his family that he is engaged. Jen, stay for a month and go home,

Daniele learns that Yohan hasn’t been honest with her. He was going to be a father with another woman. She is still hung up on finding a cheaper luxury apartment.

Something happened with Gabe but I don’t remember.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I thought she claimed to be a good witch on an earlier episode and now she denies engaging in witchcraft.  Sounds like the story changing she supposedly despises.  Also believing pouring some colored water on the floor is going to make a business prosperous seems more childish than anthing Yohan does.

• Like 8
  • Applause 11
  • LOL 1

All I see with Osama is Eugene Hütz as Alex in "Everything is Illuminated." I half expect him to show up to pick her up from the airport in a little blue wagon with a Border Collie wearing a hand-lettered tshirt that says, "Officious Seeing-Eye Bitch." I can't. 😂 I totally get it now - he's definitely a 1950s New York artist trapped in a Berber family in North Africa. I haven't even seen them together yet but I feel like Debbie and Osama are the only couple that makes it this season. 😂

Kris seems like an absolute nightmare. I thought Jeymi was the villain in that relationship and truly thought she was a grifter. Now she's probably thinking, "Holy SHIT how do I get this woman out of this apartment?" Also, $500/month for an apartment? Danielle spent half of that on prosperity juju!

Danielle, take several seats for once. It may not have occurred to you, but your 'husband' comes from a macho, Christian culture and perhaps (A) it's a little fucking difficult to talk about his feelings - including the hurt he might have felt if HE wanted to keep the baby, (B) yelling "some woman I boned aborted my baby" isn't high on his list of things to casually chat about, (C) he probably thought that you'd go running back to his family and tell all of them. 🙄 Unbelievable. I didn't use BC for the first time in 18 years and got pregnant like BAM at the age of 42, but I lost the baby. How about taking the energy you're spending whining about Yohan's ex's abortion and all of the money you're spending on bruja shit and start IVF instead? Jesus christ already.

Jen, girl, GTFO of there and get your chunky highlights on a plane and go HOME. Holy shit, Rishi is a definite snack but no. It's like we're reliving the last few seasons with a slightly more intelligent Jenny and a hot version of Sumbitch. The only thing they have going for them is Rishi's teeth and biceps at this point.

And yes, Nicole. Furthering the 'spoiled, ugly American' stereotype by pushing everyone to acquiesce to your whims and demands. There's culture, and then there's CULTURE. The latter is where you embarrass others and make them uncomfortable, and Nicole seems to have a knack for that. I totally understand where she's coming from regarding a woman's place in Egypt, but c'mon. There's a reason you left last time and were starting/looking into the divorce process.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7

I’d be acting the same way as Yohan In that shop. I respect everyone’s beliefs but she’s doing too much with her little bottles of “magic” liquids. 

She’s overreacting way too much, what another women that was previously with Yohan decided to do with her body, isn’t her business or concern. She’s just finding any excuse to argue to get out of what she’s secretly hiding & lying about. 

Omg Jen with the questions, can you make it anymore obvious to the family that you & Rishi are together? You may as well have just said it!! 

Nicole makes me uncomfortable in so many ways, I’ve never seen someone who looks like a nervous wreck 24/7 it’s all over her face & it’s exhausting. 

Gabe bores me, The whole story line is him constantly exaggerating her families willingness & acceptance of his true self, in the end we will find out that they do accept him, so predictable. (btw, I fully support the Trans/LGBTQ community)

Debbie is a hoot. Her son needs to not worry, she will be back in the states sooner then later.

That knife/gun shop had an odd set up, there was nothing really from stopping some random person off the street from walking in & taking those poorly secured weapons off the shelves & running away. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just checking, crazy stabby stabby woman is the same one who was running around in a unicorn onesie in the first episode, right? Yikes.

I couldn't believe Danielle literally made Yohan carry her purse. Well, I can, actually, because she's the WORST. What a harridan. Does she really have children?

I kinda dig Debbie. She and Ousama might be a match, he's definitely a little offbeat and so is she. I like his art and her style.  😄

The bigger 1000-lb sister is getting proposed to? WTF? She's a nasty piece of work. Meanwhile, my gorgeous, smart, funny niece can't get a date! 

Edited by bref
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, bref said:

Just checking, crazy stabby stabby woman is the same one who was running around in a unicorn onesie in the first episode, right? Yikes.

Can you imagine if she started making stabbing motions with the knife while wearing the unicorn onesie?!?! 🤣

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 10

I was pleasantly surprised by Mahmoud’s friends.  They were uncomfortable but unless I miss something, we’re not unkind to Nicole.  They came to dinner to support their friend meet his wife’s demands.  She keeps complaining, but the standards aren’t his or his family’s standards.   They are the country’s.   She gets a little bit of a pass in public when people think she is just a tourist, but if they knew she was married to a local and had converted, things would get ugly quickly.   She has to understand that her actions will impact him and his family too.  Best to pack it up.  Even he understands that. 

Daniele is a terrible person. Why should Yohan have told her about a relationship that happened before he met her if there was no marriage or children?  She so clearly looks down on him.  He puts up with her because she represents a chance to go to America.   There will be fireworks when he finds out the truth. 

I can’t believe that Rishi actually translated Jen’s questions accurately.    His family doesn’t look well to do.  They are hoping for a bride with money.  Does Jen have $$$

Gabe is an idiot.  You don’t just show up in a foreign country expecting you can just operate your business like you did back home…doesn’t matter if it is Colombia or Canada.  But especially when you don’t speak the language.  Of course the girlfriend is going to take charge.  

Some of the photos of Debbie….either old or photoshopped.  I can’t remember…have they met?  Does he know how old she is?  He wants to delay getting married.  Smart of him.  

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who saw the preview of Oussama at the airport and thought "Oh my God, the Moroccan Michael Jackson, and he's going to step off into the "Billie Jean" dance across the parking lot"?

Someone who's more knowledgeable than I about Egypt can verify if it's common that wives don't meet their husband's friends.  I knew that observant Muslims do separate men and women at the mosque, and just like many other cultures, there are/were "men's places" and "women's places".  At any rate, Mahmood was acting like a nervous little rodent in the cafe and at the restaurant, and the gaydar sirens are going off like the tornadoes last week.  I'll just say it, folks, I think he's found the perfect beard, if she stays.  I can't believe Nicole is pushing 40.  A goldfish has more common sense.

(The gaydar is strong for Oussama, too, and something will go very wrong.  But darn it, he loves cats and animals, and there's something about him that I just like, so far.)

If I were Jaymi, I'm running for the hills, not the altar.  Two days in  brought more red flags than a bullfight in Madrid.

I also stand on my above statement that Jen is being set up as Rishi's secret.  She's marginally more intelligent than Jenny in the sense that she's not going to wait a darn decade to get her man.  I think she's out of there before the end of the season.

I'll say it also, Danielle is the biggest bitch in all the time of this show.  I'm not counting some of the characters, like Anfisa, who were at least honest about being a bitch.  Danielle thinks she's right!  Who brings up a very painful memory to her "husband", who has virtually no English, and argues over and over that he lied?  He got a girl pregnant, she lost the baby, that's it.  Or maybe I'm wrong?  I think Yohan means that she lost the baby, either way.

And if we're going to talk about liars, Danielle, You deceived Yohan when you married him knowing full well you wanted to live in the D.R. and were massively in debt so you couldn't have sponsored him anyway.  I'm not saying Yohan's an angel, but now on top of losing a child, he's soon to lose his marriage and probably all hope for getting to the U.S.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

Usamma is a very strange one. Lover of quiet cats, working on his parents tiny little farm and writing poetry. If he was older he would probably be a good match for Debbie, another very strange one.

What the hell was Gabe having a meltdown in the fabric store and freaking because he just now realized he left his "stamps" at home. His girlfriend (sorry, forgot her name) has it together much more than he does. He needs her to interpret for him and teach him how to handle business in Colombia and now is going to start resenting her because he does need her more than he thought.  

Well, it looks like Jen is almost as tall as Rishi so she's got one requirement down. I think he is hot AF but these Indian men turn in to little boy mush when it comes to pleasing their families. 

Daniele=disgusting. Yohan is not much better but he is in for a rude awakening when he realizes she's nothing as she presented herself to be. 

Nicole- go home, little girl. You don't understand the culture and aren't willing to admit it's too overwhelming for you.  She's lucky Makkmood let her out on the streets without her head covered, much less letting her meet his friends. 

3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

They were uncomfortable but unless I miss something, we’re not unkind to Nicole.  They came to dinner to support their friend meet his wife’s demands.

Plus I'm sure TLC threw a couple of Egyptian $$$ their way to ease the discomfort. 

Knife weilding Kris is a nightmare. That's all I got to say about her. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Knife weilding Kris is a nightmare. That's all I got to say about her. 

It was so odd that she had to pretend to be slicing and dicing in the store, so awkward.

She mentioned she could not bring her knives from home, why couldn't she have packed them in her checked luggage? 

Jeymi is going to have a hard time getting Kris out of the apartment and on a plane home, Kris is armed and crazy. Didn't Kris say she and Jeymi were going to get married in nine days once she got to town? I hope not.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, AR Traveler said:

I'll say it also, Danielle is the biggest bitch in all the time of this show.  I'm not counting some of the characters, like Anfisa, who were at least honest about being a bitch.  Danielle thinks she's right!  Who brings up a very painful memory to her "husband", who has virtually no English, and argues over and over that he lied?  He got a girl pregnant, she lost the baby, that's it.  Or maybe I'm wrong?  I think Yohan means that she lost the baby, either way.

And if we're going to talk about liars, Danielle, You deceived Yohan when you married him knowing full well you wanted to live in the D.R. and were massively in debt so you couldn't have sponsored him anyway.  I'm not saying Yohan's an angel, but now on top of losing a child, he's soon to lose his marriage and probably all hope for getting to the U.S.

I couldn't believe she was repeatedly haranguing Yohan for misstating a past abortion as a miscarriage (which an abortion technically is, the only difference being an external instead of internal cause) while she's been lying about her entire financial situation and reason for not wanting to return to New York. She's approaching Angela/Big Ed levels of awfulness.

People Magazine referred to Daniele and Yohan as “Love on Paradise” alums.  Anyone watch?

https://people.com/tv/90-day-daniele-calls-yohan-liar-says-marriage-isnt-what-i-want-learning-of-exs-abortion/

Her New Agey stuff was just as bad, but she wasn't this much of a demanding harridan.

I can’t believe that Rishi actually translated Jen’s questions accurately.    His family doesn’t look well to do.  They are hoping for a bride with money.  Does Jen have $$$

Also, the mother was quite plain that she's expecting Rishi's new bride to completely take over the housecleaning, cooking and whatnot else. No way Jen is going to be good with that.

10 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Kris seems like an absolute nightmare. I thought Jeymi was the villain in that relationship and truly thought she was a grifter. Now she's probably thinking, "Holy SHIT how do I get this woman out of this apartment?" Also, $500/month for an apartment? Danielle spent half of that on prosperity juju!

And yes, Nicole. Furthering the 'spoiled, ugly American' stereotype by pushing everyone to acquiesce to your whims and demands. There's culture, and then there's CULTURE. The latter is where you embarrass others and make them uncomfortable, and Nicole seems to have a knack for that. I totally understand where she's coming from regarding a woman's place in Egypt, but c'mon. There's a reason you left last time and were starting/looking into the divorce process.

Kris is starting to give off hypochondriac vibes. Is a "mint allergy" even a real thing? And however bad her neck situation is, I find it hard to believe she'd have to be in a halo brace for an entire year if she had neck surgery. She might have to be in a halo brace for a short time before transitioning to one of those stiff plastic neck collars, but not a whole entire year. Even professional wrestlers who have disc replacements or fusions in the neck don't have to be a collar for a year.

As for the apartment: Both Kris and Jeymi are in the wrong. Jeymi shouldn't have gone 25% above budget for a place without asking, but Kris should understand that an "American-style" apartment is going to cost more than the average.

Nicole seems to revel in being a put-upon victim. She's constantly crying, begging for attention, asking her hubby to break all sorts of local rules and customs so she can feel better (she's either never heard the expression "When in Rome" or thinks it doesn't apply to her) and generally demanding the world revolve around her. Just watching her on TV is exhausting. I can't imagine how bad she must be in person.

11 hours ago, KateHearts said:

How does Gabe move to a new country to set up his business there and- oops- forget his company stamp (whatever that is)?  Seems like fake drama to me.

My question: If it takes a month or more for his stamp to get from the US to Colombia, wouldn't his clothes take a month to get from Colombia back to his US customers as well? Either this is a made-up storyline or Gabe is dumb as hell.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

My question: If it takes a month or more for his stamp to get from the US to Colombia, wouldn't his clothes take a month to get from Colombia back to his US customers as well? Either this is a made-up storyline or Gabe is dumb as hell.

I thought he bought boxers premade and just sewed the bulge in himself.  But they were buying bolts of cotton and elastic in Colombia.  I would think sewing boxers one by one with a sewing machine would be very slow going and unless you are an expert easy to screw up. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Made up, it takes 3 to 25 business days and the cost obviously depends on speed, weight etc. He could always try asking fedex or ups rather than just plucking numbers out of thin air. If he's stupid enough to just give up that easily he has no right running any business.

Further investigation shows Fedex could get it from Miami to Bogota in 2 days for between $200 & $300 for a 3lb box & a stamp probably doesn't weigh that much. So a lot cheaper is easily possible from other carriers or longer transport times.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Nicole's facial expressions are an absolute gift to 90DF memes and gifs. 

She is SUCH an Eeyore. I can't help but notice that there doesn't appear to be any physical affection between she and Mahmoud. No hugs and kisses in the privacy of their room. It's been 2 years since she last saw him and they aren't even talking about wanting to have sex. Something is definitely up with that relationship.

Kris and her weapons: a narcoleptic who has night terrors and is on opiates with a giant stabby-stabby: what could possibly go wrong?

I felt for Gabe when he realized that he left something essential back in the States. I have a recurring nightmare about being overseas without something I absolutely NEED and I've felt that panic and the sinking feeling in my stomach when I realize I know exactly where the thing I need is: thousands of miles away. Gah! That sucks so hard!

It appears that Danielle done manifested herself a shitty relationship. Why she's all up in some other woman's abortion is beyond me - seemed like some producer-manufactured bullshit to me. What does it matter to Danielle that some ex of Yohan's had an abortion? What possible relevance does that have for her? Why does she feel so strongly that Yohan owed it to her to tell her about some other lady's abortion? That's kind of not his decision to reveal. And Danielle goes straight to "You're toxic. I want you to be a different person," instead of explaining how this "lie" impacts her (it doesn't and she wouldn't be able to articulate the significance because it has none). I just think she's awfully finger-waggy for a person who likely hasn't disclosed to her husband how much debt she's in and why that means she really can't go back to the US for at least 7 years, when her credit record gets reset. And I don't think either of them can afford the K1 filing fees or an immigration attorney's fees, but I doubt that Danielle has expressed to Yohan that she's too broke to even be able to file for a visa for him. I wonder how him knowing that would effect their relationship, since he seems so interested in moving the the US so he can work and send money home to his family.

Oussama seems like a sweet kid. Bless him for feeding and caring for the many stray cats of Morocco. Nevertheless, there's just no way he and Debbie are going to work out. He's naïve and she's living in a fantasy world. Regardless, I thought Julian was a dick about it when he took her to the airport. He managed to eke out a little good son behavior at the very end, but he talks to Debbie like she's incompetent and senile. She's just terrible at identifying appropriate relationships for herself, hence her 3 prior failed marriages. And she seems like she's a little... dotty. I could've sworn she was about to launch into a whole Bing Crosby/Bob Hope Road to Morocco song, but then caught herself when she realized that's a reference only she (and some of us oldie viewers) would get, but it would sail directly over her betrothed's head. And can we just talk about what a bummer his name turned out to be? I mean, do the math: 9/11 happened 22 years ago, when Oussama was 2 years old. He got to have that name for 2 years before it became the 'Adolf' of the 21st century.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Kris is starting to give off hypochondriac vibes. Is a "mint allergy" even a real thing? And however bad her neck situation is, I find it hard to believe she'd have to be in a halo brace for an entire year if she had neck surgery. She might have to be in a halo brace for a short time before transitioning to one of those stiff plastic neck collars, but not a whole entire year. Even professional wrestlers who have disc replacements or fusions in the neck don't have to be a collar for a year.

I mentioned last week that Kris most definitely is exaggerating the neck surgery issue. I used to work with a spine surgeon; if her neck were so unstable that she'd be lying down in a halo for a year then there would be no way she would be allowed to walk around now and wait until she felt "ready" for the surgery. Neck fusions involve plates and screws, a night or two in the hospital and maybe 3 months in a stiff neck collar. No elective surgery would require immobilization for a year- that just opens the door for any number of complications and doesn't aid in recovery at all. She is full of you-know-what.  A hypochondriac, drug-seeker, exaggerator and weapons collector. What a catch.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, bref said:

The bigger 1000-lb sister is getting proposed to? WTF? She's a nasty piece of work. Meanwhile, my gorgeous, smart, funny niece can't get a date! 

But did she even try to get a date with whoever's proposing to the bigger 1000-lb sister? 

• LOL 15
1 hour ago, FrancescaFiore said:

He managed to eke out a little good son behavior at the very end, but he talks to Debbie like she's incompetent and senile.

He’s a cop and a lot of them talk down to everybody like they know better and only they understand the dangers of the world.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Nicole's facial expressions are an absolute gift to 90DF memes and gifs. 

She is SUCH an Eeyore. I can't help but notice that there doesn't appear to be any physical affection between she and Mahmoud. No hugs and kisses in the privacy of their room. It's been 2 years since she last saw him and they aren't even talking about wanting to have sex. Something is definitely up with that relationship.

Kris and her weapons: a narcoleptic who has night terrors and is on opiates with a giant stabby-stabby: what could possibly go wrong?

I felt for Gabe when he realized that he left something essential back in the States. I have a recurring nightmare about being overseas without something I absolutely NEED and I've felt that panic and the sinking feeling in my stomach when I realize I know exactly where the thing I need is: thousands of miles away. Gah! That sucks so hard!

It appears that Danielle done manifested herself a shitty relationship. Why she's all up in some other woman's abortion is beyond me - seemed like some producer-manufactured bullshit to me. What does it matter to Danielle that some ex of Yohan's had an abortion? What possible relevance does that have for her? Why does she feel so strongly that Yohan owed it to her to tell her about some other lady's abortion? That's kind of not his decision to reveal. And Danielle goes straight to "You're toxic. I want you to be a different person," instead of explaining how this "lie" impacts her (it doesn't and she wouldn't be able to articulate the significance because it has none). I just think she's awfully finger-waggy for a person who likely hasn't disclosed to her husband how much debt she's in and why that means she really can't go back to the US for at least 7 years, when her credit record gets reset. And I don't think either of them can afford the K1 filing fees or an immigration attorney's fees, but I doubt that Danielle has expressed to Yohan that she's too broke to even be able to file for a visa for him. I wonder how him knowing that would effect their relationship, since he seems so interested in moving the the US so he can work and send money home to his family.

Oussama seems like a sweet kid. Bless him for feeding and caring for the many stray cats of Morocco. Nevertheless, there's just no way he and Debbie are going to work out. He's naïve and she's living in a fantasy world. Regardless, I thought Julian was a dick about it when he took her to the airport. He managed to eke out a little good son behavior at the very end, but he talks to Debbie like she's incompetent and senile. She's just terrible at identifying appropriate relationships for herself, hence her 3 prior failed marriages. And she seems like she's a little... dotty. I could've sworn she was about to launch into a whole Bing Crosby/Bob Hope Road to Morocco song, but then caught herself when she realized that's a reference only she (and some of us oldie viewers) would get, but it would sail directly over her betrothed's head. And can we just talk about what a bummer his name turned out to be? I mean, do the math: 9/11 happened 22 years ago, when Oussama was 2 years old. He got to have that name for 2 years before it became the 'Adolf' of the 21st century.

Regarding Daniele, even if she had the cash to apply for Yohan’s visa, no way would it be approved…she has to agree to be financially responsible for him for a certain period of time…she can’t even be financially responsible for herself.  

And, lol, I caught the Crosby/Hope road movie reference too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It was so odd that she had to pretend to be slicing and dicing in the store, so awkward.

She mentioned she could not bring her knives from home, why couldn't she have packed them in her checked luggage? 

Jeymi is going to have a hard time getting Kris out of the apartment and on a plane home, Kris is armed and crazy. Didn't Kris say she and Jeymi were going to get married in nine days once she got to town? I hope not.

They likely would have been confiscated.  You generally can’t bring weapons into other countries.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I’m confused about something Danielle said when talking to Yohan about the alleged lie he told her.  She hesitated and said her words were too important to say in Spanish….then, she says it in English.   And, there’s an interpreter who chimes in to interpret to Yohan. Why?  Doesn’t Danielle speak fluent Spanish?  At times, I though her Spanish was better than Yohan’s.  Lol. So, why couldn’t she say her comments in Spanish?  I just found it odd.  She’s actually seemed contemptuous of him since arriving.  I wonder why. 

Nicole is concerning.  I’m not sure what is going on with her, but she doesn’t seem stable.  

Osamma needs an extra can of fish for those cats.  A couple look way too skinny.  Lol Does he even have electricity in his house?  Will Debbie stay there?  I can’t see this going well.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

That movie came out in ‘42 and she was 16 in ‘72 so she may have seen it in reruns but it wasn’t really of her era.

Au contraire! In 1942, there was precious little that a 16 year old girl could do for entertainment besides go to the cinema. Heck, I went to the movies more as a 16 year old than I do as an adult. I think any movie from her teenage years is something she was probably into, the same way that teenage girls were into Titanic.

ETA: Maybe I should read things more thoroughly because I toooootally misread the OP. Don't mind me, just derpin' out over here. 

Edited by FrancescaFiore
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, why couldn’t she say her comments in Spanish?  I just found it odd.  She’s actually seemed contemptuous of him since arriving.  I wonder why. 

I don’t speak Spanish fluently but Veronica on PT said Danielle’s is no better than Chantel’s.  Regarding the contempt, all I ever heard Danielle say complimentary about Johan was that he has a big dick and maybe she is over that already.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Regardless, I thought Julian was a dick about it when he took her to the airport. He managed to eke out a little good son behavior at the very end, but he talks to Debbie like she's incompetent and senile. She's just terrible at identifying appropriate relationships for herself, hence her 3 prior failed marriages.

Who knows what he has been through with his mother all of his life. I bet it was not easy. Maybe this is one of her many hair brained ideas and he's used to it but tired of it at the same time. 

• Like 12
(edited)
2 minutes ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Au contraire! In 1942, there was precious little that a 16 year old girl could do for entertainment besides go to the cinema. Heck, I went to the movies more as a 16 year old than I do as an adult. I think any movie from her teenage years is something she was probably into, the same way that teenage girls were into Titanic.

She was born in ‘56 so she couldn’t go to the movies in ‘42.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 1

...and why that means she really can't go back to the US for at least 7 years, when her credit record gets reset.

I could've sworn she was about to launch into a whole Bing Crosby/Bob Hope Road to Morocco song, but then caught herself when she realized that's a reference only she (and some of us oldie viewers) would get, but it would sail directly over her betrothed's head. And can we just talk about what a bummer his name turned out to be? I mean, do the math: 9/11 happened 22 years ago, when Oussama was 2 years old. He got to have that name for 2 years before it became the 'Adolf' of the 21st century.

It's even longer than 7 years. When you declare Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the accounts and creditors you stiffed are wiped off your record after 7 years, but the bankruptcy itself stays on your record for 10. I speak from personal experience.

The Road to Morocco thing reminds me of when Mrs. RaiderDuck and I saw Rich Little (now in his late 70s) perform in Vegas last year. He opened the show by warning that anyone under the age of 40 wouldn't know any of his impressions. I'm 51 and got maybe 3/4 of them. It WAS nice seeing Carnac the Magnificent (a famous Johnny Carson character I'd always loved) one more time, though.

I remember reading a 2003 (or so) story about an Arab couple who traveled as a family a lot and had named their child (born in 1999 or so) Osama Bin Laden. EVERY SINGLE TIME they flew in or out of the US, they'd be questioned by TSA agents.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

That movie came out in ‘42 and she was 16 in ‘72 so she may have seen it in reruns but it wasn’t really of her era.

I quote lines from old movies, I am big fan of the Golden Age of Hollywood (and all the Carol Burnett spoofs of those films), the Golden Age was my mother's era (she was born in '32 and for reference, I was 11 years old in '72), so I get the reference Debbie made about Road to Morocco, I doubt Osama will understand any references Debbie will make about anything. Not only is age a factor, they come from two completely different worlds, I would find it exhausting to have to explain everything and probably very lonely to know there is no one I could relate to or have any sort of conversation with and I guess that could be said about everyone on this show.

I have decided to refer to those two as Harold and Maude. 

7 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Who knows what he has been through with his mother all of his life. I bet it was not easy. Maybe this is one of her many hair brained ideas and he's used to it but tired of it at the same time. 

I have to agree, I mean her daughter did not even bother going to the airport to see her off, maybe she knows she is on airport pick duty at the end of the month, lol.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I don’t speak Spanish fluently but Veronica on PT said Danielle’s is no better than Chantel’s.

Of course Veronica would say that. She's a bitch! 

How bad could it be if their spouses and families seem to understand everything they say? I would say Chantel is fluent and Daniele can mostly communicate pretty well. Maybe she gets flustered when she's angry hence her going back to English. I'm sure their accents aren't perfect but so what. Chantel's husband had a heavy accent and nobody cared, because he was trying to learn English. Speaking of trying, how's the English lessons going, Yohan? I haven't heard him try to speak one word yet. Good luck in the US, buddy. If he ever get's there.  

• Like 1

Does anyone think Nicole looks like the actress who plays Meredith Grey?  Obviously not her hair but her voice and facial expressions remind me so much of her.  She also reminds me a bit of Renee Zellwinger.

Kris is crazy.  Does anyone else think its strange that she left her 18 year old son to go move to south America with a woman she never met?  I know 18 is legally an adult, but he might not even be out of high school yet.  I think her girlfriend is going to run away from her soon.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I quote lines from old movies, I am big fan of the Golden Age of Hollywood (and all the Carol Burnett spoofs of those films), the Golden Age was my mother's era (she was born in '32 and for reference, I was 11 years old in '72), so I get the reference Debbie made about Road to Morocco,

For sure.  I just think many people her age (who were in high school when the Beatles broke up) were of the hippie/rock era and wouldn’t necessarily be fond of movies from 30 years before.  Many teens of today have never seen big 80s films.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Katie111 said:

Does anyone think Nicole looks like the actress who plays Meredith Grey?  Obviously not her hair but her voice and facial expressions remind me so much of her.  She also reminds me a bit of Renee Zellwinger.

Kris is crazy.  Does anyone else think its strange that she left her 18 year old son to go move to south America with a woman she never met?  I know 18 is legally an adult, but he might not even be out of high school yet.  I think her girlfriend is going to run away from her soon.

I hope Jeymi does leave Kris. More odd things are coming out every day and she looked demented in the knife store. Jeymi doesn’t seem like she wants to deal with any of it and I don’t blame her.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

This year I have more empathy for the men because they are hoping for a better life, and to get to a better life, they're willing to put up with: a) neurotic chick who doesnt want to follow customs or have family around; b) delusional gal who doesn't want her hubby in America, and c) old gal who's looking for a final adventure. The guy with the old gal may make out the best as she seems generous and kind.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Of course Veronica would say that. She's a bitch! 

How bad could it be if their spouses and families seem to understand everything they say? I would say Chantel is fluent and Daniele can mostly communicate pretty well. Maybe she gets flustered when she's angry hence her going back to English. I'm sure their accents aren't perfect but so what. Chantel's husband had a heavy accent and nobody cared, because he was trying to learn English. Speaking of trying, how's the English lessons going, Yohan? I haven't heard him try to speak one word yet. Good luck in the US, buddy. If he ever get's there.  

Woah, did Veronica do you dirty? This sounds personal, if you know her to be a bitch.

Danielle seems to communicate well enough, but I wish she didn't when she keeps digging for details from a past that's none of her business. She's married, what difference does it make that he said, "she couldn't  have it" or "she aborted". He doesn't know anything about this women's experience any more than Danielle. 

On 3/3/2023 at 9:06 PM, Frozendiva said:

Rishi’s friend tells Jen about the family looking to arrange a marriage for him. Rishi does not immediately plan on telling his family that he is engaged. Jen, stay for a month and go home,

Daniele learns that Yohan hasn’t been honest with her. He was going to be a father with another woman. She is still hung up on finding a cheaper luxury apartment.

Something happened with Gabe but I don’t remember.

I have no interest, at present, in rooting for any of them. I'm surprised Americans aren't trying to condemn this show.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'll be darned -- I like Debbie AND Oussama. They're both out of their minds to think a marriage makes sense, but they seem sweet and largely harmless, other than to themselves. I even like Oussama's art. That said, a modern Moroccan city is one thing -- a tiny Berber farming village in Morocco is quite something else. Berbers are basically an indigenous minority group in Morocco. They wouldn't even necessarily speak Arabic as a first language. And unless Oussama's dad has a day job and just has the farm to honor tradition, they are POOR. Three cows and 13 chickens is a subsistence farm, not a commercial farm.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Oh! I forgot the most ridiculously-done-with-a-straight-face moment! Little Miss "You don't know how to run a successful business, let me help you" shows us that her brand of "help" is candles and herbs from the bottanica. And not just a few little baubles, noooo. $235 worth of bullshit Earth Mother oils and spices! These were her "necessities." And y'gotta laugh at her being so aghast that Yohan refers to what Danielle practices as "witchcraft," because that's exactly what Wicca is: creating potions and spells using herbs, candle wax, oils and other various things and ceremonially putting those things into a small pouch.  It was just so absurd, her being all, "Why do you keep saying this is witchcraft?" when she's standing there with little jars full of nightshade and eye of newt.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Nicole seems so anxious that it made me anxious watching her segment.  She must be there for the t.v. exposure and pay check.  But, whatever they are paying the mother, it isn't enough-Nicole is taking a long time in the bathroom (it seems they only have 1) and the family has to just wait for her.  I think the mother knows Nicole will leave again.  Even after her husband tells her what the cultural expectations are it's as if she just doesn't believe him.  She married him, lived in Egypt for a month or two and then left.  Yet, she still hasn't figured out the cultural expectations.

Jen thinks she is outthinking Rishi-we shall see.  I agree with others that his sister knows something is going on.

Danielle bothers me to no end.  Instead of buying all of the scents and oils, maybe she should have just invested that $235 in his business.  And, she seemingly wants Yohan to grovel at her feet because she has accused him of lying.  I bet his response of did she want to end the marriage took her for a shock.  She is so one to talk about lying when she has no intention of applying for his spousal visa yet hasn't told him.  Lies of omission, yet she is accusing him of the same.

I laughed at the 'Merica shirt (shrug).  I agree with a previous poster that Debbie's son and daughter have probably gone through a lot of craziness with her.

Kris?  I have no idea why she had so many knives (I live in the South and no it's not a 'thing'-but it certainly looks like her thing).  So, pharmacy, weapons store...just the tip of the iceberg perhaps.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, bref said:

Difference being... when your niece receives a proposal, it'll be because of her personality, not notoriety.

2 hours ago, Chalby said:

I have no interest, at present, in rooting for any of them. I'm surprised Americans aren't trying to condemn this show.

I take that back, so my apologies. I just remembered these Americans are imposing themselves on other countries. Those countries should be upset with these representations. And America should be breathing a sigh of relief they want to be expats.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I also suspect his primary concern over his mother's $$$ is how much he'll get when she dies.

Or he could be concerned that the Osamma will fleece his mom out of all her money and then mom will be dependent on him and his sister.  It has happened plenty of time in romance scams. You have a woman who lives a comfortable life and a guy who lives on a farm that is in shambles. Do they have the basics? Electricity? indoor plumbing?  I dont see Debbie roughing it.

16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Osamma needs an extra can of fish for those cats.  A couple look way too skinny.  Lol Does he even have electricity in his house?  Will Debbie stay there?  I can’t see this going well.  

Me neither. As much as I dont like her kookie self, I don't want to see her lose her life savings to this grifter.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Oh! I forgot the most ridiculously-done-with-a-straight-face moment! Little Miss "You don't know how to run a successful business, let me help you" shows us that her brand of "help" is candles and herbs from the bottanica. And not just a few little baubles, noooo. $235 worth of bullshit Earth Mother oils and spices! 

Right? Dying here. That "botanica" must have been a tourist trap. There's a sizable Dominican community where I live, and there are little storefront botanicas all over the place. I imagine that it would be a job to find $200+ worth of candles and herbs at one of those. They're all in the Dominican neighborhoods. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 3