Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Hiding In and Moving Out

Pallas
  • Start Topic

On 3/1/2023 at 11:08 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I like the actor playing Louise (and loved her in 8 Simple Rules) but don't buy her in this role.

I take it you missed her role in Sons of Anarchy. 😁

• Like 2

Darlene should know doing her sardonic 1 liners with Harris was not going to work since she/Harris have a different mother and daughter relationship than she and Roseanne had.  Harris didn't inherit the ability to use humor to mask pain.  Darlene should save that for her son Mark...whose sarcasm is a sweeter version of Darlene's sarcasm.

It was nice to see Louise back again.  

• Like 5
3 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

Never watched the show, not one that interested me. Also never watched Married With Children. I did watch the show Sagal starred in a couple of years ago, Rebel. And of course she has guested in many, many shows over the years. 

• Like 1
On 3/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, QQQQ said:
On 3/2/2023 at 5:11 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

The whole storyline of Louise constantly touring is another dumb storyline to me. How old are Louise and Dan supposed to be? Lets say 60 which would be very generously young. 

60 would mean Dan was 25 when Roseanne premiered. Dan and Louise (and the actors) are actually almost 70

I think Dan and Roseanne were mid-late 30s in the first season. In Dan's birthday episode in season 2 or 3, Roseanne mentions Dan turning 39. 

13 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

To get Harris to move into Darlene's house?  And now that no one but Dan and Louise are living in Dan's house, Jackie should be hanging out at Darlene's, not Dan's, as she was in this episode.

If John Goodman (for some reason) wanted less time on the show, they could have him and Louise doing their own thing while keeping Harris and Jackie involved with the rest of the family at Darlene's house.

If that's what this has been all about, it's going to be strange getting used to the focus being on the Darlene house set, instead of the old Dan's house set that has been so familiar.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I think Dan and Roseanne were mid-late 30s in the first season. In Dan's birthday episode in season 2 or 3, Roseanne mentions Dan turning 39. 

Yes, if you go by the times ages were specifically mentioned in the early seasons of the original, Dan was born in '51 and Roseanne in '52.  So Dan is in his early 70s now (as is John Goodman).  Louise went to high school with them, so can only be at most a few years younger (and, indeed, Katey Sagal is in her late 60s).

Just now, rmontro said:

If that's what this has been all about, it's going to be strange getting used to the focus being on the Darlene house set, instead of the old Dan's house set that has been so familiar.

I don't think they're going to do that, no matter how many people wind up living at Darlene's -- the Conner living room and kitchen are still going to be where we see people a good chunk of the time (since where these people live has never much affected how often they congregate there).

• Like 6
On 3/3/2023 at 1:04 AM, Yeah No said:

And add me to the list that thought the touring storyline was dumb.  Did Katey Sagal not want to be on the show full time? 

Maybe they don't want to pay her to appear in every episode. This week, the actors playing Mark and Ben were absent and presumably did not need to be paid.

• Like 1
On 3/5/2023 at 7:27 AM, b4pjoe said:

She was fantastic in SOA, the role suited her so very well - plus being married to the show's creator, and he seems like he was a genuine biker only added to the suitability.

Okay episode. I don't get all the moving around of the people - for god's sake work out what is best financially and stick with it.  Harris' hand me down slam I actually liked as fairly genuine, as younger people now have such a sense of entitlement to many luxuries - all new stuff being one of those IMO. And what is with this family and tainted memories??  Ok maybe a house I could see as that is big and significant, but clothes?? Whatever - make new happy memories with them to replace the old ones. I have shopped many a thrift store and could give two s's what the history of the clothes are. 

Can someone please clarify, are we to believe Louise is making a decent income off of touring? I roadied for a small band for several years, and unless you're fairly famous you are barely making enough to cover expenses and save a little bit. She could do FAR better doing something else if income is her goal.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Ok maybe a house I could see as that is big and significant, but clothes?? Whatever - make new happy memories with them to replace the old ones. I have shopped many a thrift store and could give two s's what the history of the clothes are. 

It's not like they were talking hand-me-downs saved from Darlene or Harris' childhood! This is fairly new stuff worn only by Beverly Rose.  And we've heard multiple times that Becky spends real money on BR's wardrobe.

I was somewhat surprised that Becky had held on to the outgrown clothes instead of reselling them, because she isn't having another child and she's sharing a room with BR. So, where was she storing them?  In Dan's basement pot garden?  In the kitchen cabinet where the tapes were found?  Maybe in the garage of the new house (hopefully the possum hasn't made a nest in them.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 4

"Darlene said something like she tripled her caffeine intake because pregnancy made her tired so that’s probably why Harris popped out and walked or ran down the hall when she was born.  It was more bad writing from people that apparently never watched the old show."

Would it be so hard for the writers to at least have some kind of knowledge of the original show?  and I actually enjoy Harris' snarkiness more than Darlene.  I don't know who's writing Darlene's lines, but they aren't funny at all and are delivered in this deadpan way that doesn't even come close to Roseanne's delivery. Darlene just sounds petty and mean. 

• Like 3
On 3/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, Bastet said:

Yes, if you go by the times ages were specifically mentioned in the early seasons of the original, Dan was born in '51 and Roseanne in '52.  So Dan is in his early 70s now (as is John Goodman).  Louise went to high school with them, so can only be at most a few years younger (and, indeed, Katey Sagal is in her late 60s).

I'm happy there is age-appropriate casting. I don't think Dan would go for someone in her 50s or younger, and I don't think Goodman would be OK with casting someone young enough to be his (or Dan's) daughter as Dan's love interest.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:04 PM, Yeah No said:

Did Katey Sagal not want to be on the show full time?

Maybe she is still recovering from her accident. The staying-in-bed storyline was odd but have we seen her be super mobile since returning to the show?

• Like 2
On 3/5/2023 at 3:52 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If John Goodman (for some reason) wanted less time on the show, they could have him and Louise doing their own thing while keeping Harris and Jackie involved with the rest of the family at Darlene's house.

I wouldn't really miss Dan and Louise tbh

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't think Goodman would be OK with casting someone young enough to be his (or Dan's) daughter as Dan's love interest.

Agree; I cannot imagine that going over at all well with him.  He didn't want Dan to have a love interest at all, which is why they agreed to write the Louise storyline at a slow place, and then he got on board with it.

I know musicians who are still touring full-time in their 80s so don't see why Louise shouldn't be. That said not clear to me why she can't find ways to play locally. Or why she hasn't in all these years.

• Like 3

I thought it was all really well done.  Good acting all around. Kind of a cop out to have Harris miscarry, but I understand the show not wanting to deal with the issues of an abortion story in this day and age.

”You think Harris is mad at you wait until Mark finds out you moved him into a window seat”. Lmao!  Why would they do that??

I like Mary but yeah, it’s kind of weird she’s still on the show when both her parents aren’t around.  I miss DJ.

Ugh, just looking at that water bed made my back hurt, and I’m in my 40’s!  I’m so glad they got rid of it.

• Like 3
On 3/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, theredhead77 said:

Maybe she is still recovering from her accident. The staying-in-bed storyline was odd but have we seen her be super mobile since returning to the show?

Katey has been recovered from her car accident for a while now and yes she's been mobile and just fine. The bed scenes were because Louise was depressed, yes it was odd just because it's not in her character to be that way, things change, people change and not only that, but things like that can happen when people are depressed no matter who they are just saying. 

That said it's not that Katey doesn't want to be on the show it's just Louise a reoccurring character and that's just how it is and Katey likes that way to my understanding it's what reoccurring status means the character isn't gonna be in every episode all the time it has nothing to do with her accident at all, it's Katey's choice and that's what she chose to do was to be on reoccurring status. 

Edited by ESS
On 3/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, Colorado David said:

She was fantastic in SOA, the role suited her so very well 

I so agree with you. I loved her in SOA!! definitely did a phenomenal job in that role!

• Like 4