Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: The Enemy Within

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing February 28, 2023:

Now that Elijah and Abril have become allies, the team must rely on Monica, Elijah's lawyer, to uncover their plans; Officers Nolan and Juarez reopen her sister's case and discover a discrepancy that leads them on a new trail.

16 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Ugh. I hate Rookie crossovers.

I hate crossovers generally. But when it involves The Rookie: Feds/Niecy Nash/Simone Clark, the very thought  leaves me nauseous.

How in hell has that steaming pile of the crappiest crap that ever crapped not yet been cancelled?

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
15 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I hate crossovers generally. But when it involves The Rookie: Feds/Niecy Nash/Simone Clark, the very thought  leaves me nauseous.

How in hell has that steaming pile of the crappiest crap that ever crapped not yet been cancelled?

Smitty does real police work over there when he is the crossover.

• LOL 1

Elijah AND a Rookie Feds crossover ? 

Why not bring back Cousin Oliver and the Fonz jumping the shark while they are at it ? 

Please for the love of God let Elijah get killed off this week. 

I've said it before but I miss the semi lighthearted tone of the earlier seasons. Like when every episode had an offbeat/funny cold open scene. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 7

Monica + wood chipper= a match made in heaven! I did enjoy the way nobody at the LAPD bought one single thing she said. 
But Elijah is still in the picture? Ugh! I refuse to watch the stupid crossover, but is it too much to ask that they could at least get Abril? 
Daddy and Me traffic school. Is that even a thing? Tim and Lucy are talking about having kids so casually like it’s the next thing on their to do list. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

But Elijah is still in the picture? Ugh! I refuse to watch the stupid crossover, but is it too much to ask that they could at least get Abril? 

I fell asleep for a bit during the Feds episode, but I'm pretty sure

Spoiler

Abril was offed by someone, I'm just not sure who or how.

When Monica was sitting in the police station flashing back to the woodchipper, I wanted to believe that this show was written on a level where that signified Monica was using the memory of her terror to motivate her to get into character to fool the cops, but I think that's too complex for this show.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

When Monica was sitting in the police station flashing back to the woodchipper, I wanted to believe that this show was written on a level where that signified Monica was using the memory of her terror to motivate her to get into character to fool the cops, but I think that's too complex for this show.

Shit, you're right, we're still going to get a goddamn Monica redemption plot, aren't we? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

They’re setting us up for more Elijah with annoying scamster prisoner whose name I can’t remember. Plus why are they together?  Isn’t Elijah in pretrial lockup?   Or is it idiot plot syndrome. 

It’s definitely Idiotic Plot Syndrome that allows Elijah and Friendly Serial Killer to have their own lending library.

Elijah just better not kill the Charming Big Bad (Matthew Glave as Oscar Hutchinson)! Please let it be the other way around.

Edited by shapeshifter
looked up name of charming Big Bad
  • Like 1
On 2/28/2023 at 6:10 AM, Netfoot said:

It's apparently doing fairly well in the ratings. Heaven knows why.

8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

They’re setting us up for more Elijah with annoying scamster prisoner whose name I can’t remember. Plus why are they together?  Isn’t Elijah in pretrial lockup?   Or is it idiot plot syndrome. 

Idiot plot.

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's POSSIBLE that maybe they'll make Monica the new drug lord, right? That at least is SOMEthing better than a Monica redemption plot. 

That was my take on it. I thought "Oh no, not another red headed recurring baddie, on top of Elijah and Abril - and then Mr. Charm in the prison.

The make a wish kid plot was okay, but not great. It was a little too obvious. Celina's story semi-interested me, I'd rather see them work on her sister's murder than Elijah any day (despite the fact that I'm not fond of children being harmed stories).

• Like 3

I thought the make a wish kid story was ridiculous. How would a little kid possibly know where to go on a police officers computer to even find their dad’s tickets much less know how to delete or erase those tickets. Hate Elijah’s attorney. She should be smart enough to know this ends one of two ways; either she is killed or out in prison. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I figured it would be to good to just kill of Elijah but yes, chalk another one up to Idiot Plot device by having Elijah across from a serial killer who's already been convicted.

As for Monica, eh.  I'd prefer she get bumped off.

Tim and Lucy talking kids is not something I care to hear or see.  And of course Smitty would be the one who has his password written in plain view for someone to see.

• Like 3

I'm a bit pissed off, now. 

I watched The Rookie as I usually do, and was pleased to see Elijah taken down. Would have been happier if Angela had shot him twice in the head, so as to guarantee there was no way he would pop back up again in some later episode, but...

I didn't see much of a crossover. The episode was notably free of Simone Clarke. But they promised a crossover so I dutifully watched The Rookie: Crapola Feds to see what else Fillion and the gang got up to, but... none of them appeared! The only person who "crossed over" (unfortunately not the River Styx) was the very Elijah I was hoping never to see again!

So, I had him and Godawful Simone plus a whole bunch of other (I assume) main characters who I knew absolutely nothing about and who I wished would just STFU and GOMS (Get Off My Screen).

This is what? The third Crossover for Rookie/Rookie Feds? I really don't like to watch the latter but for continuity of the former I watched them all.

No more. I don't care if it features Alyssa Diaz naked. I ain't watching again. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

There WAS a major plot development that impacted The Rookie in the Rookie: Feds episode, though, so in think that it was one of the most important "crossover" episodes they've done so far, as yes, the other ones have been barely crossovers at all.

• Like 1
(edited)

I just thought of a question.  Is Angela supposed to be pregnant on the show again?  I know the actress is pregnant again IRL.  She was exposing herself as very pregnant tonight when sitting on the couch at the end, but I thought the character was not pregnant again.  She was doing all that hand to hand fighting too.  I guess the showrunners have abandoned the old trick of hiding the actress behind a pillow or counter.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
4 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I just thought of a question.  Is Angela supposed to be pregnant on the show again?  I know the actress is pregnant again IRL.  She was exposing herself as very pregnant tonight when sitting on the couch at the end, but I thought the character was not pregnant again.  She was doing all that hand to hand fighting too.  I guess the showrunners have abandoned the old trick of hiding the actress behind a pillow or counter.

Angela *is* pregnant in-show again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The good: less Bailey than usual.
The bad: everything else.
My favorite parts: my glass of wine, the book I was reading, and the nice nap afterward.

Were we supposed to recognize the prisoner with the books? If so, who was he?

• Applause 1
7 minutes ago, Driad said:

Were we supposed to recognize the prisoner with the books? If so, who was he?

He was:

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Charming Big Bad (Matthew Glave as Oscar Hutchinson)

Sorry, I don't recall his evil deeds specifically, just his genius for deviousness.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, Elijah mentioned he was going to punch her baby. 

Yeah, there's been this weird trend lately to have pregnant women engaging in combat (Avatar 2 is the most recent example I can think of).  I find it super annoying.  I've been pregnant three times and there's no way I'd have purposely put my unborn babies in danger like that (and don't get me started on Angela roundhousing Elijah while pregnant.  I just can't).  I probably shouldn't be annoyed since this show left reality a long time ago but unrealistic portrayals of pregnancy (not to mention labor) just bug me.  

And I usually just have this show on in the background while I'm doing other stuff these days but I actually sat down and paid attention to this episode and I still have no idea what happened at the end there.  So the red-headed lawyer purposely set Elijah up?  Or was that an accident?  And why does she hate the LAPD?  Was that covered in a previous episode or was that just introduced here?  

• Like 5

Awful episode, I just watched hoping it would be the end of that annoying "villain". But.. meh...

For us who didn't watch Feds, could some of you who managed to watch it till the end give us a summary?
did Elijah finally left Rookie's world for good? (crosses fingers)
thanks in advance.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

For us who didn't watch Feds, could some of you who managed to watch it till the end give us a summary?
did Elijah finally left Rookie's world for good? (crosses fingers)

Full disclosure, I fast-forwarded through 99% of the episode, because I can’t stand that show, and I really resent being tricked into watching it.

Abril is dead. Elijah lives (to annoy us for) another day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

So the red-headed lawyer purposely set Elijah up?  Or was that an accident?  And why does she hate the LAPD?  Was that covered in a previous episode or was that just introduced here?  

It's unclear, but PROBABLY she didn't purposely set Elijah up. She hates the LAPD because they arrested her in front of everyone at the courthouse a couple of episodes ago. 

1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's unclear, but PROBABLY she didn't purposely set Elijah up. She hates the LAPD because they arrested her in front of everyone at the courthouse a couple of episodes ago. 

That's why she hates the LAPD with the heat of a thousand nuns? 
Seems a little petty.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That's why she hates the LAPD with the heat of a thousand nuns? 
Seems a little petty.

Well, I think she already kind of hated Wesley who cheated on her when they were engaged and recently accused her of being a sociopath (he's right but still) and by extension Angela. I do feel like 'threatened to feed me to a wood chipper' should rank higher than 'was a jerk' and 'arrested/embarassed me' in terms of fueling hatred though

• Like 3

I don't disagree that she's a shittily written character, but in the context of how they've portrayed her, she's a huge egomaniac who takes pride in being seen as the top lawyer (even if she has to bribe judges to win her cases), so being arrested and put into handcuffs and perp-walked in front of all of her legal colleagues would be a big deal to her.  

I agree that Elijah threatening to kill her was worse, but I think the argument is that while she WAS helping him, she was doing it only because she was scared of him (plus, of course, she doesn't care about breaking the law, so helping him commit crimes is cool with her). So she's happy he's behind bars, but she wasn't going to actively make a move against him. Or else she would have done it when they had her locked up at first. So she hates the cops and the DA's office a lot, but hates Elijah, too, but she's scared of him and she isn't scared of the cops and the DA's office at all (hence her then warning Abril as soon as she could). 

(edited)

Another boring episode.

I wish the story about Celina and her sister’s case could be weaved into a different episode so it can get the attention it deserves.

Why was Angela allowed to be in the field during Elijah’s sting? When Wesley and his hottie bodyguard were busy fighting bullets left and right, where’s Jack? We didn’t hear him crying etc. Weird.

What’s with the foreshadowing of Chenford’s kid? Another unplanned pregnancy? Too soon okay. Tim hasn’t even meet Lucy’s parents yet. Geez. 🙄

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

What’s with the foreshadowing of Chenford’s kid? Another unplanned pregnancy? Too soon okay. Tim hasn’t even meet Lucy’s parents yet. Geez. 🙄

We haven’t  met Lucy’s or Tim’s parents, have we? Or are they both conveniently (for casting purposes) orphans?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I don't disagree that she's a shittily written character, but in the context of how they've portrayed her, she's a huge egomaniac who takes pride in being seen as the top lawyer (even if she has to bribe judges to win her cases), so being arrested and put into handcuffs and perp-walked in front of all of her legal colleagues would be a big deal to her.  

I agree that Elijah threatening to kill her was worse, but I think the argument is that while she WAS helping him, she was doing it only because she was scared of him (plus, of course, she doesn't care about breaking the law, so helping him commit crimes is cool with her). So she's happy he's behind bars, but she wasn't going to actively make a move against him. Or else she would have done it when they had her locked up at first. So she hates the cops and the DA's office a lot, but hates Elijah, too, but she's scared of him and she isn't scared of the cops and the DA's office at all (hence her then warning Abril as soon as she could). 

Maybe.

Or the “I hate the LAPD” was just overly dramatic to convince her would-be murderers-at-the-moment not to kill her.

I think the writers have confused “complex character” with “confusing character.”

Maybe it was an autocorrect of a typo on their memo? 
(only slightly kidding)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

We haven’t  met Lucy’s or Tim’s parents, have we? Or are they both conveniently (for casting purposes) orphans?

Tim's abusive dad was introduced a few seasons ago. Lucy's parents were too I think in season 2.

• Useful 1
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

We met Lucy’s mom - Vanessa Chen twice. She came to stay with her in S02•E05 (Tough Love). She showed up in S03•E10 (Man of Honor) to share her disappointment and to bully Lucy into changing career.

In S04•E14 (Long Shot), Lucy learned from her aunty that her mom had an affair with one of her client and her bio dad is Patrick Walsh. He died in a car accident 5 yrs earlier.

We met Tim’s abusive father - Tom Bradford (James Remar) once in S04•E09 (Breakdown). No name/info about his mom.

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

It plays more like they are planning. Tim has already been married and I don't remember Lucy's age but Melissa O' Neil is at the do it now or potentially face more difficultly if she continues to wait age.

11 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Wasn't that the The Rookie: Feds crossover FBI agents?

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Raja said:

It plays more like they are planning. Tim has already been married and I don't remember Lucy's age but Melissa O' Neil is at the do it now or potentially face more difficultly if she continues to wait age.

I think Lucy is in early 30s while Tim in his early 40s.

• Useful 1

And in Melissa O'Neil case Lucy has the perfect pregnancy' hide  in an undercover role they have kept open for her as opposed to the fighting pregnant detective

(edited)
On 3/1/2023 at 11:53 PM, JamieLynn832002 said:

I do feel like 'threatened to feed me to a wood chipper' should rank higher than 'was a jerk' and 'arrested/embarrassed me' in terms of fuelling hatred though

Agreed. But I think we’ve established that her priorities are kind of wonky.

I haven’t liked Matthew Glaive since he played arrogant troll Dr. Dale Edson on ER all those years ago. I don’t find Oscar charming. All Angela’s talk about claw hammers was getting my hopes up. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Like 2
On 3/1/2023 at 7:48 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

Full disclosure, I fast-forwarded through 99% of the episode, because I can’t stand that show, and I really resent being tricked into watching it.

Abril is dead. Elijah lives (to annoy us for) another day.

But, unless I was dreaming while painfully struggling through Feds, didn’t Abril’s crew murder Elijah’s entire crew?

On 3/1/2023 at 8:28 AM, Madding crowd said:

thought the make a wish kid story was ridiculous. How would a little kid possibly know where to go on a police officers computer to even find their dad’s tickets much less know how to delete or erase those tickets.

He didn't know. He was literally Googling it. And it was Smitty's computer. He wrote his username and password on a post-it, which is at least totally accurate for the character.

I'm so glad nobody bought Monica's story. I guess her being willing to get the crap beaten out of her shows an incredible level of self-preservation. And a whole lot of crazy.

Watching Angela beat the crap out of Elijah was satisfying, as was watching the bodyguard take down his henchdude.

I figured Celina's mom would be a big part of a future story. 

23 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I know Smitty left his password out. My point was how could the dad think his son could figure out how to erase charges against him-no one would think that would work. I think it was a silly storyline.

Yes. Of course criminals who get caught tend to be dumb.