Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Eyes Do Not See What the Mind Does Not Want

• Start Topic

Kris' health problems worry Jeymi; Debbie pursues a prenup; Gabe and Isabel fear telling her family he's transgender; Jen's mistrust of Rishi grows; the culture clash continues between Nicole and Mahmoud.

First Look: 24/02/23; TLC: 26/02/23; Discovery+: 26/02/23;

First look.  If When Nicole leaves Egypt. She needs to take Fatima with her. Her husband looks like an ass and the poor girl was an imported bride.  

I wonder if the dislike for the kids is a made up storyline for Gabe as producers didn't think the the trans thing with the parents was enough storyline?

• Like 5
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, greekmom said:

First look.  If When Nicole leaves Egypt. She needs to take Fatima with her. Her husband looks like an ass and the poor girl was an imported bride.  

I wonder if the dislike for the kids is a made up storyline for Gabe as producers didn't think the the trans thing with the parents was enough storyline?

Maybe I spaced out but when did he say he didn’t like the kids?

• Like 7

The cracks are already starting with Jeymi and Kris. They are in for a rocky ride.

Gabe seemed happy to see Isabel and the kids at the airport. They are not toddlers so they will have some school and hobbies.

It would be very hard for me to live with a multigenerational home with parents and brothers and sisters and their kids. I would turn in to a screaming head case in no time. I like my space and my privacy.  Nicole is probably used to a California diet with lots of fruits and vegetables and not a lot of fried food. It will take a while to adjust. I felt badly for Fatima. None of the men in that family seem useful. It would be disheartening to learn that my life is basically going to the market, staying with the family and kids and not really having any friends. The isolation would be tough.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Nicole looks so miserable and she just got there! She is rail thin, I wouldn’t be surprised if she has an eating disorder. Does she really think they’ll get their own apartment in a culture where it’s the norm for multiple generations to all live together? 

Gabriel must have decided that tattoos really aren’t a permanent commitment since he had an ex’s covered. Maybe there are several ex’s names disguised in all that ink like those hidden picture drawings. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Sorry. Didn't he say in his intro a few episodes back he's not interested in raising kids and that they are at a point they can raise themselves?  

8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

. I felt badly for Fatima. None of the men in that family seem useful. It would be disheartening to learn that my life is basically going to the market, staying with the family and kids and not really having any friends. The isolation would be tough.

I found it very interesting that both brothers had to get "imports" for wives.  To me that means that there is something fishy overall with the family that no Egyptian woman wants them.  

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, magemaud said:

Does she really think they’ll get their own apartment in a culture where it’s the norm for multiple generations to all live together? 

Where did they live when she was there for two months?  It sounded like it had not been with mom.

21 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Yes, that’s what he said. 

But then Isobel was going on about his great connection with both kids.  Maybe he just meant he gets to skip the newborn/toddler stuff such as feedings and changings.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Where did they live when she was there for two months?  It sounded like it had not been with mom.

But then Isobel was going on about his great connection with both kids.  Maybe he just meant he gets to skip the newborn/toddler stuff such as feedings and changings.

I got the impression they DID live with his mother (where else?) because she complained about all the people, the chaos, no privacy, etc. Maybe he lied to her and promised that they'd get their own place if she came back. 

I also think Gabriel doesn't mind grown children although he naively thinks the boy is old enough to be on his own. Since he can't have a biological child anyway, maybe his "no children" stance is a defense mechanism. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Nicole made a rash, uninformed decision to marry a guy she barely knew. She was perfectly capable of educating herself about the Muslim faith and lifestyle, but either didn’t, or thought she could make some changes and had flexi rules. She was probably around 34-35 when she met Mahmoud. I don’t know if these dudes realistically expect the foreign women/wives to change their entire world overnight. As an independent woman who is pushing 40, moving in to that crowded house is tough when one is used to space. Did she ask about life in Cairo, whether she can work, get a work permit, whether she can continue her fashion business? What daily life is like? I would have divorced the guy and never looked back.

I also thought it was off that the other brother had a Chinese wife. Why did both brothers choose foreign women? Did Mahmoud see a ticket to the US? He wanted an exotic blonde woman? Why did Nicole not ask him any questions about anything? Just that he was a beautiful boy?

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

I also thought it was off that the other brother had a Chinese wife. Why did both brothers choose foreign women? Did Mahmoud see a ticket to the US? He wanted an exotic blonde woman? Why did Nicole not ask him any questions about anything? Just that he was a beautiful boy?

Did they say she was Chinese?  I may have missed that.  Otherwise, I was thinking she could be Indonesian or Malaysian.   Both those countries are majority Muslim.  

• Like 1

I don’t see how they’d afford to live on their own since Mahmoud isn’t inclined to work. I guess Nicole’s on line job supports them. I really don’t see what the attraction is. He’s nowhere close to being a beautiful boy and completely useless too. 

• Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I don’t see how they’d afford to live on their own since Mahmoud isn’t inclined to work. I guess Nicole’s on line job supports them. I really don’t see what the attraction is. He’s nowhere close to being a beautiful boy and completely useless too. 

He manages a fabric store.  It’s where they met and they showed him working there earlier this season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Amusing that she thinks living on their own is an option.  And not just because of the money.  If Mahmoud is at work in the fabric shop all day, what will she do?  His family would not be pleased at her wondering around, perhaps making contact with the exPat community.  

And then there is her lack of head covering, the food and the other cultural expectations of Muslim women.  No way will they want her out of their sight.   And I thought it was a little sad how the other lady was so excited that they could hang out and be friends.   I imagine she is lonely.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, magemaud said:

Sounds like the synopsis for EVERY episode this season! 

Yep, every episode is the same old issues over and over again, just about done with this show.

20 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I missed it too, he seemed excited to have a family, but I did doze off lol.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Maybe part of the time, but she (most people really) would want to get out and about, at least some of the time.  

Unfortunately, as much as she wants to, she's not going to be allowed to be out and about by herself. I predict her future will be at home alone (if they get their own place), at her in-laws or maybe briefly going out to local shops with other women in Mahmoud's family. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
47 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Unfortunately, as much as she wants to, she's not going to be allowed to be out and about by herself. I predict her future will be at home alone (if they get their own place), at her in-laws or maybe briefly going out to local shops with other women in Mahmoud's family. 

I hope he’s good in bed but I have a feeling in that culture the woman’s enjoyment of sex isn’t a high priority.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
14 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Sadly, you are very right 

6ADE55C3-2BD2-4C24-B7AF-F4061B87858E.jpeg

What does FGM actually stand for? I'm guessing I know but I'm not sure and let's not leave people guessing. And if it is what I think it is what is why are we using letters rather than words, we don't use MGM for the male version or are we using the old double standard again.

This is not aimed at you @DEL901.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
59 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

What does FGM actually stand for? I'm guessing I know but I'm not sure and let's not leave people guessing. And if it is what I think it is what is why are we using letters rather than words, we don't use MGM for the male version or are we using the old double standard again.

This is not aimed at you @DEL901.

NP. It was spelled out in the larger article I clipped this excerpt from.  FGM stands for female genital mutilation which used to be called female circumcision, however (and there are varying degrees) all are designed to ensure the female doesn’t get pleasure from sex. 

Spoiler

Putting this in spoiler tags due to the content.  Once saw a hidden camera video…the Egyptian parents took their daughter, probably 6 or 7 to an actual doctor. They pulled off her panties, sat her on dad’s lap. Dad held her legs apart so the doctor could amputate her clitoris.  The doctor used a scalpel but no anaesthetic.  It was horrifying.  (Note video was from an angle so the actual procedure couldn’t be seen, just the child’s pain).  The doctor then congratulated the parents on their decision, because it was large and she surely would have been promiscuous.

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

I assume that’s just so they aren’t tempted to have an affair.

Exactly. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 8
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I hope he’s good in bed but I have a feeling in that culture the woman’s enjoyment of sex isn’t a high priority.

Maybe it will come out that Nicole "took his virginity" like Yve did with Mohammed and Jenny with Sumit. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2

I’ve got last week’s episode on and I am again floored by the naivety of Nicole and her parents.  Practices in Egypt, regardless of western opinions are their choice. It would be different if he moved to the US, but she moved to his home country and she needs to figure out how to acclimate.  I also recommend she keep a sharp eye on her passport and birth control.

When she was a tourist, there was tolerance as long as she didn’t openly do anything to give offence.  But now, not only is she married to a follower of Islam, but she converted.  There will be little tolerance and her behaviour could reflect badly on her husband’s family.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

If Jen believed that Rishi hadn’t been with another woman in the two years that they were apart, then I have a bridge to sell her.  It spans from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

Why the heck is Nicole back in Egypt?  She doesn’t seem to like her husband, and it’s perfectly clear that she doesn’t want to be there.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Why the heck is Nicole back in Egypt?  She doesn’t seem to like her husband, and it’s perfectly clear that she doesn’t want to be there.

She doesn't really seem to like anything, though. She has such a flat affect and doesn't seem to ever really smile.

It's not nice to feed someone something and not be honest about what it is they're eating. I'm looking at you Isabel.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Like 5

Nicole needs to go back home. 

A bit more of Tabitha aka Carol Baskin but not much.  The lady is crazier than a handbasket.  I think the son should have gone with her but maybe she needs a wakeup call.

I know it maybe or may not be true - but I do think Kris is on something more than taking pain meds for the pain.  

Jen needs to go home.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Jen. Damn moron. You give  up your life and travel to India while not knowing if or when Rishi is going to get real with his family about your engagement. Then you with hold sex until he tells his parents that you are much more than a "friend". Fantastic start to a healthy relationship. 

Kris is so creepy. I'm only speculating here but I think she's a full blown addict. 

Nicole is so pale, so thin and her face is frozen. Where is she going to get all that botox in Egypt? 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I question Nicole's commitment to living in Egypt for a number of reasons, but not the least of which is her lack of dedication to learning how to say the most basic words, like hijab. Because really Nicole? "HiGAB?" Really?? Gimme a break. And nothing has been done to quell my 'Mahmoud gives off big 'mo energy' concerns. From the way he dramatically rolls his eyes at Nicole to the campy  flicks of his wrists, everything about him just screams "HOMOSEXUAL!" (And before anyone suggests cancelling me, I am a big 'mo myself. It's not a pejorative; it's a term of endearment. I got permanently banned from Television Without Pity years ago because the mods didn't understand how gay people joke about gay people & thought I was being homophobic.) Storyline aside, Nicole's facial expressions are hilarious. Especially her indignant "I don't understand" face. Watch for it - treat yo'self.

Debbie has a knack for being able to justify doing clearly insane things. While her arguments for going to Morocco to marry Osama are fairly unassailable, (she's found a kindred spirit and feels it would be crazy to abandon that, she's in her sunset years and wants to live the rest of her life pursuing what she believes will make her happy, etc) her son's common sense arguments against going to Morocco are also solid and likely accurate. A prenup is a great idea, but it just scratches the surface of what Debbie should've done at that point to protect herself and her assets.

Reddit seems convinced that Kris is an opiate addict, but I suspect she's just a hypochondriac. Not that the two things are mutually exclusive, but I can't imagine anyone who has a serious opiate habit being able to maintain it in a country like Morocco. And I also can't imagine any opiate addict not making damn sure that they would have access to their substance of choice before traveling to another country and I don't think opiates are as readily available in Muslim countries. I lean more toward her being a hypochondriac because she seems to have a host of allergies/health issues. I know some people like her - never met a food allergy they didn't have, has every disorder they've ever read an article about or heard about on the news. Restless leg syndrome? They have it. Fibromyalgia? Check. Celiac's? "GET THAT BAGEL AWAY FROM ME, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME??" Unfortunately, there's a quack with a prescription pad for every loony with an insurance card, so Kris has been prescribed all manner of pharmaceuticals. This isn't something I know for a fact, but rather, something I just feel in my bones.  

ETA: People on Reddit are calling the trip to the pharmacy the smoking gun about Kris being an addict, but the pain meds Kris got at the pharmacy were just OTC, not prescription.

Edited AGAIN to add that evidently, some medications that are Rx here in the US can be purchased OTC in Columbia. I stand corrected.

I continue to love Gabe & Isabel in all of their boringness. 

Special thanks to TLC for giving us a break from Danielle this week. It felt good to watch a whole episode without wanting to punch my TV.

Edited by FrancescaFiore
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Why do these men keep getting engaged to older American women, knowing their family's are never going to approve and allow them to marry? If you know you will never stand up to your parents then don't date older American women. It makes no sense! Rishi is the new Summit.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, FrancescaFiore said:

And nothing has been done to quell my 'Mahmoud gives off big 'mo energy' concerns. From the way he dramatically rolls his eyes at Nicole to the campy  flicks of his wrists, everything about him just screams "HOMOSEXUAL!" 

He seems very uncomfortable around her.  Calling her "my love" all the time, and I mean all the time, doesn't seem like it's coming naturally.  It's like he read it in a book or something.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, magemaud said:

Maybe he lied to her and promised that they'd get their own place if she came back. 

She lied to him about being willing to dress differently, so...great match!

7 minutes ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Reddit seems convinced that Kris is an opiate addict, but I suspect she's just a hypochondriac. Not that the two things are mutually exclusive, but I can't imagine anyone who has a serious opiate habit being able to maintain it in a country like Morocco.

I was thinking more along the lines that an exotic place like Morocco would be full of exotic opium dens, so maybe a good fit.  But then I realized you've got your people mixed up--Kris is in Colombia.  But that might not be a bad fit, either.

17 hours ago, Gobi said:

The Ouigers (spelling?) are Muslim. I imagine one would be quite happy to move to Egypt to marry.

I wondered about her being a Uyghur.  I'm not an expert, but she looks more Chinese than images of Uyghurs I've seen, who look more like Mongolians to me.

But there are other Muslim groups in China, although I'm not sure they're picked on as much as Uighurs and therefore as desperate to flee.  But if Fatima was raised Muslim she might not see anything oppressive about life as the wife of one of Mahmoud's brothers.  Business as usual.

• Like 6
  • Love 1