Type keyword(s) to search

Super Bowl LVII - Live Chat Thread

OtterMommy
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I don't hate her.  I know nothing about her.  Wrong musical era for me.

I have recently come to realize that the only musical act I will put down my book or phone to watch is one whose albums I have owned on cassette. No shade on newer artists, but they just haven’t stuck with me like those of a bygone era. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

I have recently come to realize that the only musical act I will put down my book or phone to watch is one whose albums I have owned on cassette. No shade on newer artists, but they just haven’t stuck with me like those of a bygone era. 

I don't know if there is an artist that has cross generational appeal anymore.  But last year's halftime show was awesome. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Steroids don't work instantly, it wouldn't help him tonight.  More likely, an anesthesiologist with training in pain relief injections shot some local anesthetic in there so it won't be as painful as he continues to play on it.

I imagine he got a pre-game shot so there may be a limit to how much they can give him.  

2 minutes ago, mariah23 said:

With the outfit and barley moving, one must ask-is she pregnant again?!

As an OB/GYN, I am pretty good at sussing this out and, yes, around 22-24 weeks or so I'd guess.

It also explains why she hasn't shed any of the many layers she's wearing and the rather low key performance.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
Just now, Notabug said:

As an OB/GYN, I am pretty good at sussing this out and, yes, around 22-24 weeks or so I'd guess.

It also explains why she hasn't shed any of the many layers she's wearing and the rather low key performance.

She also had her hands around her belly a lot.

• Like 2
Just now, Crashcourse said:

Shit.  They could've paid me 1/10 of what she got paid to just stand up there and lip sync in a ridiculous outfit.

You could've gotten twice as much as she did, it's the same: Zero. Halftime performers are not paid.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Does a longer halftime show help players recover? Mahomes might need an encore or two.

Players HATE the long halftime at the Super Bowl.  Too much time for muscles to relax and cramp.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

Shit.  They could've paid me 1/10 of what she got paid to just stand up there and lip sync in a ridiculous outfit.

And if she is, indeed, pregnant, then perhaps she should have declined doing the show.  

Why? She looks like she's first trimester. Pregnant women can perform.

• Like 7

And if she is, indeed, pregnant, then perhaps she should have declined doing the show.  

Or I was thinking if whether the NFL knew she was. To be fair, she may not have been pregnant when she accepted to do the show, and it could have been too late to drop out. Or the contract might have liability built into it. 

• Like 1

Performers are paid scale, and there is no if: she is pregnant.

9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't know if there is an artist that has cross generational appeal anymore.  But last year's halftime show was awesome. 

I think Bruno Mars had cross-generational appeal.  He was rather new and hip but his style was a throwback so even if people didn't recognize the music, they appreciated the showmanship.

7 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Ha.  From what I've heard from friends who have seen her in concert, low key is her key even when she's not pregnant.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
Just now, DoctorAtomic said:

Or I was thinking if whether the NFL knew she was. To be fair, she may not have been pregnant when she accepted to do the show, and it could have been too late to drop out. Or the contract might have liability built into it. 

Pregnant women are protected by federal law.  Even if she isn't technically employed by the NFL (or Apple since they sponsored the show), it would be a very bad look to fire her from the halftime show for a physical condition that doesn't prevent her from singing,  The uproar would've been huge.  And rightly so.

• Like 7
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

Um this is nothing against the announcers but why'd they go with an all-white broadcasting booth?

Because that's their regular #1 team?  Why would you break it up for the Super Bowl?

• Like 7
44 minutes ago, twoods said:

There was a lot of right wing outrage over the female M&Ms so they said that Maya Randolph was now going to be their spokesperson. They made that decision specifically for the SB commercial and to make fun of all the “outrage.”

That’s not quite accurate. There was not a lot of outrage, but one overrated, off the rails nut job protesting and his crazy followers.

These days, most companies don’t bow down to the right wing, let along the extreme right wing.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I wasn't saying the NFL would or should fire Rhianna after contracting her for the show, but whether had they known beforehand would they have hired her. 

Serious question here: why can't pregnant women perform? She's not disabled or anything.

• Like 9
Just now, Stats Queen said:

That’s not quite accurate. There was not a lot of outrage, but one overrated, off the rails nut job protesting and his crazy followers.

These days, most companies don’t bow down to the right wing, let along the extreme right wing.

Based on the Maya Rudolph commercial, I don't think M&M's is going to be bowing down to them, either.  Looks like they're going to turn it into a thing to sell more M&M's.

Let's face it, it is hard to take seriously anyone who complains that a piece of cartoon candy that is ostensibly female should wear high heels instead of sneakers.  Personally, I don't care if my cartoon candy is bareefoot or wearing swim fins either,

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Performers are paid scale, and there is no if: she is pregnant.

Not for the Super Bowl. The NFL pays for the cost of the show and for the travel expenses, but do not pay the artist for the performance. The artists do it because it's a publicity boost.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I wasn't saying the NFL would or should fire Rhianna after contracting her for the show, but whether had they known beforehand would they have hired her. 

Why?  How did her pregnancy affect her singing at the halftime show?  What if she'd broken her wrist or sprained an ankle in rehearsals?  If the NFL/Apple/Fox knew, and I think they probably did, they were probably excited about the extra buzz the show would get once people realized she was also announcing another pregnancy.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Let's face it, it is hard to take seriously anyone who complains that a piece of cartoon candy that is ostensibly female should wear high heels instead of sneakers.

Wasn't the outrage at the people who were outraged that the original M&M was wearing boots?  I'm not sure why her original outfit was offensive to some.  

• Like 1