Type keyword(s) to search

The ABCs of Schoolhouse Rock

An ABC Special hosted by Grey's Anatomy's Chandra Wilson. The show will feature interviews with creators and writers, while ranking the best of the songs. Airing Sunday, Sept. 7th at 7/6 Central.

Conjunction Junction is a lock for #1, right?

• Love 1

Oooh, is it sad that I got a huge smile reading this thread? This Gen X kid LOVED her some Schoolhouse Rock! So cool a special is coming. ABC should have never stopped it to begin with.

And I'm another who always thinks of "Conjunction Junction", although "Just A Bill" ranks highly with me, too.  :-)

Count me as another who loves "Conjunction Junction (what's ur function? )".

But my favorite is "Skate 8". "If u could skate a figure 8." It's so very soft pop of the times, and a delight to watch.

I always liked A Noun is A Person, Place or Thing...The Preamble...Interjections.

America Rock, (No More Kings, Elbow Room, The Shot Heard Round the World} and Grammar Rock were my favorites.

I bought the DVD and my children learned to sing the preamble like I did.

• Love 1

Being from the original Schoolhouse Rock generation, I was amused when Hooked On Phonics came on the scene and implied that they invented the concept of teaching through catchy music.  I was like, "hello, Schoolhouse Rock?"

As someone on the old TWoP thread mentioned, they weren't afraid to introduce topics like base-12 in "Little Twelvetoes" and infinity in "Figure Eight."  When I watch "Interjections" on YouTube nowadays, I like to substitute some, um...more adult expressions. :)

• Love 1
I like this cover of "The Tale of Mr. Morton" by Skee-Lo.

From the Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks album.  I've still got that disc.  Probably should pull it out again soon.  Lots of good covers on it.  Blind Melon's cover of Three is a Magic Number is also very good.

When I watch "Interjections" on YouTube nowadays, I like to substitute some, um...more adult expressions. :)

Let me guess...there's a list of seven words....

• Love 1

Two surprises, one pleasant, one disappointing: "Electricity" made the top five. It's in mine, but it isn't mentioned that much in most people's.

The disappointing one is that no Multiplication Rock song made it. It's the one that started the whole thing, after all.

• Love 1

I was singing right along. I forgot how much I loved these. I always loved the Verb one. My favorite part was the little boy being hugged by his mom at the end. I always thought the figure 8 one was beautiful, too. Now I want the whole collection.

I was hoping they'd put it on their OnDemand list but no such luck. :(  I missed it too.   I have all of them on DVD, but I wanted to see the special.  Darn! <---(Interjection)

Edited by anstar
  • Love 1

Oh no!  I totally missed this and am now a sad panda...shucks.

I too love Conjunction Junction, but the softer melodies of Figure Eight and Three Is A Magic Number are really my faves.  I bought these on vhs when my daughter was a wee one and while she never quite got the Schoolhouse fever like I did she did enjoy them.  

Funny how Three Ring Government with the circus theme is such an apt description of politics in general. 

• Love 2

I was hoping they'd put it on their OnDemand list but no such luck. :(  I missed it too.   I have all of them on DVD, but I wanted to see the special.  Darn! <---(Interjection)

Damn, I knew nothing about it until I just opened this thread, & it's not even on OnDemand? That suckis.

Figure 8 always sounded like a lullaby to me.  Or at least it lulled me into a stupor as a kid.  Didn't much like that one. 

For some reason, I've had the doo-w** "Victim of Gravity" stuck in my head for a couple of days now. At least it's a bouncy earworm.

Damn, I knew nothing about it until I just opened this thread, & it's not even on OnDemand? That suckis.

I was on the same boat so I put it into my tivo. Today it showed up. It will be rebroadcast Sunday, Oct 12th at 3PM CST.

So when you're happy (Hurray!)  I got to see it. 

I like Conjunction Junction but it's not my favorite.  I thought it was neat that some medical school had the first year students learn the Telegraph Line song and that immigrants trying to become citizens would be shown I'm Just A Bill. 

Okay, I missed a big chunk of this the first time around so I was looking forward to a rewatch.  So of course my cable went black for over 10 minutes of it this weekend.

Hey, Xfinity:  Lolly, lolly, lolly get your failure here...