Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

OMG, it's even worse than what was quoted in the linked article.  I just watched last night's The Daily Show, which opened with a piece on Adams that showed the podcast footage; what Adams went on to say after declaring Black people a hate group whites should get the hell away from is, "You just have to escape.  So that's what I did; I moved to a neighborhood with a low Black population."  Looking it up, he fled San Francisco, moving farther and farther out in the East Bay, and is now in a 7,000 square foot mansion in a Tri-Valley suburb where less than one percent of population is Black.  I guess that's finally white enough for him to feel safe?  What a piece of shit (which, I realize, is an insult to excrement).

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 16
  • Applause 1
On 2/26/2023 at 7:03 PM, Dani said:

I looked up the company behind the survey and it only took reading the headline to see the problem, “Despite years of progressive activism, a majority of Americans still don’t buy into the “woke” narrative that white people have a monopoly on racism.” 

It was a survey of only 1000 people that asked 2 questions. 

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  “It’s OK to be white.”

2* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  “Black people can be racist, too.”

I can’t find how many Black individuals were even polled. Assuming it was representative of US demographics, 26% would be whopping 31 people who disagreed or weren’t sure. 

Adams taking a survey with that headline serious tells me everything I need to know about him. 

All righty then. I’m on an online survey panel, and occasionally there are questions that I just have no idea how to answer. Those in the quote are the equivalent of “all lives matter - agree or disagree?”  Well, umm, yes, but…

32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

OMG, it's even worse than what was quoted in the linked article.  I just watched last night's The Daily Show, which opened with a piece on Adams that showed the podcast footage; what Adams went on to say after declaring Black people a hate group whites should get the hell away from is, "You just have to escape.  So that's what I did; I moved to a neighborhood with a low Black population."  Looking it up, he fled San Francisco, moving farther and farther out in the East Bay, and is now in a 7,000 square foot mansion in a Tri-Valley suburb where less than one percent of population is Black.  I guess that's finally white enough for him to feel safe?  What a piece of shit (which, I realize, is an insult to excrement).

I just can’t wrap my head around what he’s thinking. Is this some kind of performance art, a la Colbert Report, and we’re supposed to realize he’s making fun of people who really think that way?  Sadly, I guess not. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

It seems both Adams and Harrelson  decided not to just hint  at having controversial POVs but wound up taking flying leaps to double down on said opinions.

Even with all the above said, I hope  Harrelson somehow is still above wanting anything to do with Adams but I'm not so sure.

• Useful 6
23 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Even with all the above said, I hope Harrelson somehow is still above wanting anything to do with Adams but I'm not so sure.

Yeah. Harrelson is coming across as a moron but Adams is coming across as scary in his beliefs. 

• Like 10

WaPost article explaining the history of "it’s OK to be white" and the polling company Rasmussen. 

The phrase “it’s okay to be White” was popularized in 2017 as a trolling campaign meant to provoke liberals into condemning the statement and thus, the theory went, proving their own unreasonableness. White supremacists picked up on the trend, adding neo-Nazi language, websites or images to fliers with the phrase...

White supremacists have used the phrase since at least the early 2000s, said Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow for the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism. Six years ago, the term gained popularity when people on the discussion forum 4chan decided to employ the phrase as a stunt.

The trolls posted sheets of paper with just the words “it’s okay to be White” on building doors and other public locations in the hope that some people would become upset and express frustration. Many people saw through the prank, Pitcavage said, and recognized its malicious intent...

For those who know about that baggage, Pitcavage said, the words “it’s okay to be White” are not nearly as innocuous as they may seem. Even for people who are unfamiliar with it, he said, the weird phrasing may suggest that it is meant to troll or trigger them.

“You can see that phrase and easily recognize that someone’s trying to get a rise out of you by using it,” Pitcavage said. “Disapproving of that statement and disapproving of whiteness or White people are two very different things.”...

In recent years, Rasmussen has shifted from serving primarily as a right-leaning polling firm to more actively amplifying conservative causes, with a website featuring commentary from conservative and libertarian pundits. In the video about the recent survey question, Mitchell also hyped polling results that he said showed “nearly half the country is concerned that vaccines are causing a significant number of unexplained deaths.” (The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said there is no evidence that coronavirus vaccines are causing deaths.) On Twitter, the firm also elevated misinformation about alleged fraud in the 2020 presidential election and highlighted conspiracy theories suggesting that the Jan. 6 insurrection was a “set-up.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

Sounds like something created by a group of people who REALLY, desperately need to find something to do with their time/lives. Imagine how pathetic you have to be to think this sort of thing is clever or funny. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Celebrity-ish?  Honey Boo Boo's boyfriend arrested after car chase. She was in the car with him at the time. 

21-year-old Dralin Carswell was cuffed Tuesday in Monroe County, according to police ... who says 17-year-old Alana was in the car with Dralin when the tags on his Dodge Charger were run by police, which showed the owner of the vehicle had outstanding warrants.

Monroe County Lt. John Thompson says an officer then attempted to do a traffic stop on Dralin, but instead was led on a chase that went about 3 miles -- ending in a pit maneuver, spinning the car out.

Officers say they found marijuana and Dralin was arrested for DUI and fleeing from cops, as well as outstanding warrants out of Wilkinson County. Another passenger, Julian Malik Divon Williams, was also arrested for outstanding warrants.

• Useful 4

Chris Rock did the first ever live comedy special, on Netflix tonight. I don't always find his jokes funny but this one is savagely true.

“I have no problem with the wokeness. I have no problem with it at all. I’m all for social justice. I’m all for marginalized people getting their rights. The thing I have a problem with is the selective outrage,” Rock said. “You know what i’m talking about. One person does something, they get canceled. Somebody else does the exact same thing, nothing. You know what I’m talking about … the kind of people who play Michael Jackson songs but won’t play R. Kelly. Same crime, one of them just has better songs.”

• Like 13
  • Applause 5
21 minutes ago, Dani said:

So Mr. Rock somehow thinks Ms. Pickett-Smith deserved for him to belittle a physical challenge of hers on worldwide television and the only reason he didn't physically respond to Mr. Smith's physical attack after said belittling was because his own parents taught him 'not to fight in front of white people'?!

I don't know Mr. Rock's parents from Adam or Eve so I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that he IGNORED parental teachings about not belittling others with physical challenges rather than neither them nor any mentor of his from toddlerhood to middle age having never taught him that vital lesson.

P.S. I was willing to give Mr. Rock the benefit of the doubt that he was just being a clod to get cheep laffs rather than having deliberately decided to pick on her because he didn't like how Mr. Smith had reacted to her revelations about their union.

• Like 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Dani said:

It was always sexism. The stupid hair joke that started all this made it clear.

Look, what Will did was wrong, but Chris Rock playing the victim to just act like an even bigger asshole is just gross. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 17
  • Applause 2

Yeah, Chris Rock has a thing about Jada and has for years.  The last time he hosted the Oscars was during the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag campaign on twitter.  A lot black celebrities spoke out about it, chose not to attend the Oscars, were vocal about it.  And he decides to call out Jada in his monologue. From what I understand he's picked her out in other ways. 

I personally can't stand him.  I hate bullies.  And he is a card carrying bully.  In my opinion, he uses his "comedy" and his acceptance amongst the while comedy elite as a way to punch down under the guise of observational comedy.

• Like 20
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Any idea what he said about the slap? Personally, I think Smith should have been arrested and charged with assault.

It's discussed in the Celebrity Misdeeds thread.  In a nutshell, he blamed Jada.

• Mind Blown 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Look, what Will did was wrong, but Chris Rock playing the victim to just act like an even bigger asshole is just gross. 

I completely agree. Thanks to all this news, I discovered that a few months age he compared the idea that he would return to host the Oscars to Nicole Brown Simpson returning to the restaurant she was at before she was killed. 

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, Chris Rock has a thing about Jada and has for years.  The last time he hosted the Oscars was during the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag campaign on twitter.  A lot black celebrities spoke out about it, chose not to attend the Oscars, were vocal about it.  And he decides to call out Jada in his monologue. From what I understand he's picked her out in other ways. 

I personally can't stand him.  I hate bullies.  And he is a card carrying bully.  In my opinion, he uses his "comedy" and his acceptance amongst the while comedy elite as a way to punch down under the guise of observational comedy.

His special last night was in Jada’s hometown. Jada is clearly living in his head for some reason that probably has nothing to do with her. 

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And much of that punching down is at the expense of women.  I notice he had to take a jab at Meghan Markle (defending the Royal Family?  Really?  Is he hoping for an invite to the coronation?) but in the past he's dragged other female celebrities in one way or another. He gets a little blow back on twitter but not much in the mainstream media.  Mocking women, especially women of colour just doesn't seem to be something that gets you cancelled.  Too bad.

• Like 19
  • Sad 2
18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Chris Rock did the first ever live comedy special, on Netflix tonight. I don't always find his jokes funny but this one is savagely true.

The continued hero worship of Michael Jackson is infuriating to me but Rock’s particular comparison of listening to their music doesn’t work for me. Plenty of people who are outraged by what Michael Jackson did are willing to listen to his music only because he is dead and unable to profit. 

Mostly I agree with the idea of selective outrage but find it absurd coming from Rock who is guilty of the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Say what you what about Will Smith, but at least he apologized. Chris is just doubling down and acting like an asshole.

True and this shows that the slap was about a lot more than one joke. It was still absolutely the wrong decision but I’m less inclined to hold it against Will Smith long term. 

4 hours ago, Dani said:

The continued hero worship of Michael Jackson is infuriating to me but Rock’s particular comparison of listening to their music doesn’t work for me. Plenty of people who are outraged by what Michael Jackson did are willing to listen to his music only because he is dead and unable to profit. 

Mostly I agree with the idea of selective outrage but find it absurd coming from Rock who is guilty of the same thing. 

I only in the past few years started listening to Michael Jackson's music again.  I don't seek it out but if it pops up on Pandora I don't hit skip.   I still find it kind of icky though listening to it.  Haven't listened to R Kelly since the first allegation. 

I always liked Chris Rock but lately the misogyny in comedy which was always there but now seems much more obvious. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I always liked Chris Rock but lately the misogyny in comedy which was always there but now seems much more obvious. 

It's not just him unfortunately.  Feels like it's always one step forward, two steps back.  There's a lot of talk about cancel culture and how comedians can't say what they want.  But if that's the case I'm seeing very little evidence of it when men, in the name of "humour" still feel very free to call women bitches and basically tell them to sit down and shut up.  

• Like 20

I watched part of the special and there are issues I have with "wokeness"and "cancel culture" but overall, I found myself not liking Rock's attitude towards the Slap.

He was better off not saying anything. To go after the Smith marriage and bring up the infidelity of it? What business is it to him? To leapfrog from that to the Slap made no sense. Yes, Will and Jada discussed their marriage and issues within. That's their right but to use their issues as a comedy routine is just tacky and lazy. 

Chris has said things in the past that made me laugh like the "bullet control" and his riff on "MLK streets in neighborhoods" and a bit on the "white mall and the used to be the white mall".  That stuff was funny and yes, had an edge of anger and truth. Ranting about the dysfunction in someone's marriage is NOT. 

I still think Smith is a tool for what he did but I don't think Rock is much better.

• Like 14
19 hours ago, stonehaven said:

He was better off not saying anything. To go after the Smith marriage and bring up the infidelity of it? What business is it to him?

Chris seems to have some kind of major issue with Jada and my twisted imagination is going to go with "he's been in love with Will for decades and will never, ever forgive Jada for stealing his man!" haha

Seriously though, what could she possibly have done that makes him zero in on her so specifically? He really seems to have some kind of beef with her. I mean, I don't even like her and I don't get why he just keeps piling on her. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Seriously though, what could she possibly have done that makes him zero in on her so specifically? He really seems to have some kind of beef with her. I mean, I don't even like her and I don't get why he just keeps piling on her. 

I had assumed there was some bad blood between Chris Rock and Jada that happened years ago and the gossip about it had passed me by.   So essentially he just decided she was fair game and has been picking at her for years now? 

• Like 7

Great article on JK Rowling's new podcast by the wonderful Monica Hesse. Just confirms, once again, that Rowling is a bigot who has as many problems with facts in the real world as she does with plot holes in her fictional one www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/03/06/witch-trials-jk-rowling-podcast-hesse-column/

• Like 6
  • Useful 7
  • LOL 2
On 3/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, Mabinogia said:

I don't follow celebrity gossip, so this will be just pure speculation, but when a man is focusing on a woman in this way, a good guess IMO is often that she rejected him. I mean, men are not that complicated (not meaning that in a bad way.) And if it's true that she and Will have some sort of open relationship, at least that's how I understand it from how people commented on the whole situation, then I can easily see that some guy might take that information as an encouragement that he has a chance too.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I think Chris Rock had every rite to do what he did.

Of course he did, and, we, the public, have every right to express our opinion of his actions.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4

So apparently the gun in the Rust shooting has been destroyed by the State.   Either through testing or deliberately, its not clear.   Which means the Defense has no access to it to do their own testing.   This is going to be a MASSIVE problem.   Like drop the charges level massive.   This prosecution has been a mess.   First the DA has to drop the gun enhancement charge because the facts don't fit the criteria.   Now this.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 11
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

So apparently the gun in the Rust shooting has been destroyed by the State.   Either through testing or deliberately, its not clear.   Which means the Defense has no access to it to do their own testing.   This is going to be a MASSIVE problem.   Like drop the charges level massive.   This prosecution has been a mess.   First the DA has to drop the gun enhancement charge because the facts don't fit the criteria.   Now this.  

How in the world did that happen!!! Yes, I understand you do not know, but I cannot even begin to imagine how someone would destroy a gun.

10 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

How in the world did that happen!!! Yes, I understand you do not know, but I cannot even begin to imagine how someone would destroy a gun.

The how is easy. Crush it or melt it down. The why is puzzling.

13 minutes ago, Anduin said:

The how is easy. Crush it or melt it down. The why is puzzling.

Well one rumor I heard was that it was send for expert testing and fell apart during the testing.   But that is just an "I heard."   So not sure if it was a deliberate destruction or it just got destroyed through testing.   

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The DA made a statement that Baldwin’s lawyers are wrong and that the gun is available for them to review. Seems like the defense was being hyperbolic in claiming the gun is effectively destroyed. 

“The defense’s unexpected statement in the status hearing today that the gun had been destroyed by the state may be a reference to a statement in the FBI’s July 2022 firearms testing report that said damage was done to internal components of the gun during the FBI’s functionality testing,” spokesperson Brewer postulated. “However, the gun still exists and can be used as evidence.”

22 hours ago, Notabug said:

Of course he did, and, we, the public, have every right to express our opinion of his actions.

And the authorities had the right to charge him with assault, although they didn’t choose to do so. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2