Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

This clip from Fernwood 2 Night in the late 70s - a faux talk show spinoff of the BSC late-night soap opera Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman - seems appropriate to this sad day of remembering the amazing, versatile comedic talent of Martin Mull.

Edited by giovannif7
correct show title
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not Colonel Mustard!

This is his daughter's announcement on Instagram:

I love the part about the dogs.

Here's an obituary, from Variety.

Awww. That’s lovely. I saw him in a number of other things — the lecherous boss in Mr. Mom comes to mind. But to me (one of those ‘80s kids who watched Clue enough times to be able to quote it verbatim), he has always been Colonel Mustard. He was awesome in that. “Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?!” Rest in peace to a funny man who gave hours of entertainment to so many.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Although I've seen Mr. Mull in quite a few other roles before and after the following since then, the first place I recall him from was when he played the awkward bullied teen protagonist's well-intended but clueless widowed father Larry Peache in My Bodyguard (1980) - a hotel manager who was also trying to corral his somewhat flirty elderly mother 'Grandma' Peache(Ruth Gordon) and dealing with an assistant trying to get him fired to gain his job. While the hotel subplots had little connection with the main plot of the teen  adjusting to attending public school and seeking the means to avoid being bullied, I always thought that Mr. Mull helped with the much needed comic relief to the serious and poignant main plot and his  was one of many performances in that movie that  spurred me to follow their careers thereafter!

RIP, Mr. Mull.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, this is sad news!  Besides Colonel Mustard, I remember him most as Leon Carp from Roseanne.  

RIP, Mr. Mull.

Same. He was hilarious on that show. And I remember him from Mr. Mom as well. I didn't see Clue until just within the past year, but yeah, he was great in there, too, as always. So sad to hear this news. 

Lovely tribute from his daughter. 

• Like 6

Heartbreaking news. I was introduced to the wonderful Mr. Mull at a young age through Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, much like the recently deceased Dabney Coleman, and have been a lifelong fan of both. Mull is best remembered from that show as Barth Gimble, who went on to host Fernwood 2 Night and America 2-Night, but it's often forgotten that he was preceded by his brother, Garth, also played by Mull. He was an ill-tempered and violent character, who memorably met a nasty end, being impaled by a Christmas tree!

On F2N and A2N, while Barth claimed to be fond of Fernwood, he also sometimes referred to it as "the town that killed my brother"!

Mull was also very versatile, and was a painter and musician. His 1977 album, "I'm Everyone I've Ever Loved" is highly recommended. It's a fusion of great music and jokes, and I've had portions of it memorized for over 40 years. Here's a tune you may have heard and didn't know was his!

RIP, Mr. Mull. You will be horribly missed.

• Like 6
  • Love 2