Type keyword(s) to search

80 for Brady (2023)

greekmom
  • Start Topic

Four best friends live life to the fullest when they embark on a wild trip to see their hero, Tom Brady, play in the 2017 Super Bowl.

Starring: Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Rita Moreno and Sally Field

Release date: February 3, 2023

21 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I'll watch this via streaming because I love all of these ladies. I hate Tom Brady but it will be nice to revisit him getting his butt whooped by the Eagles. 😊

I agree, I love all the ladies and hate Brady. But I think this movie is about the 2017 Superbowl and the Eagles won in 2018.

• Like 3
On 11/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, jah1986 said:

But I think this movie is about the 2017 Superbowl and the Eagles won in 2018.

People usually go by the Superbowl being the previous year, so the Super Bowl that took place in 2018 would be referred to as the 2017 Super Bowl as it crowed the winner of the fall 2017 season.

However, story-wise it'd make more sense for the 2016 Superbowl (that took place in 2017) that the Patriots won against the Falcons, as they won after overcoming a pretty big deficit.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 11/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, jah1986 said:

I agree, I love all the ladies and hate Brady. But I think this movie is about the 2017 Superbowl and the Eagles won in 2018.

8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

People usually go by the Superbowl being the previous year, so the Super Bowl that took place in 2018 would be referred to as the 2017 Super Bowl as it crowed the winner of the fall 2017 season.

However, story-wise it'd make more sense for the 2016 Superbowl (that took place in 2017) that the Patriots won against the Falcons, as they won after overcoming a pretty big deficit.

I literally know nothing about football and don't even follow it so I'll just take your word for it. 😂

• LOL 1

Maybe it's because I've been seeing the preview in a theater, on a giant screen, but I find Jane Fonda's plastic face to be too distracting.  Her face looks tighter than it did in Barbarella, 55 years ago.  Before man walked on the moon.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
formatting
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

Well, I took one for the team, and went to see this today.  It was cute and funny, a mostly fluffy bit of entertainment despite the presence of Tom Brady, Guy Fieri, and Gronk.  Billy Porter was a gem, and our ladies were fabulous, of course.  I think it helps that it was inspired by a true story.  I would also say that it's more about the women and their adventures at the Super Bowl than about Brady, although his presence looms large.

The theater was packed!  I don't think there was a single empty seat.  And, honest to God, I saw several women wearing Tom Brady Patriots jerseys.  

Bottom line, I'm not mad I saw it, I don't want my time back, but I don't know that I'll watch it again when it eventually comes to TV.

• Like 4

I saw this over the weekend, the parts not including TB were good, but the end had way too much Tom Brady.  And that final scene was just cringe.  I liked Gronk's cameo it was just enough and he was the dumb jock we all know and love without going too dumb jock (USAA commercials).  He hit the Himbo sweet spot.  

One thing that had me scratching my head was the choice of previews for this movie.  I really want to have a word with whomever at the studio or AMC who decided this movie was perfect movie to advertise multiple Marvel projects and Cocaine Bear.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I saw this over the weekend, the parts not including TB were good, but the end had way too much Tom Brady.  And that final scene was just cringe.  I liked Gronk's cameo it was just enough and he was the dumb jock we all know and love without going too dumb jock (USAA commercials).  He hit the Himbo sweet spot.  

One thing that had me scratching my head was the choice of previews for this movie.  I really want to have a word with whomever at the studio or AMC who decided this movie was perfect movie to advertise multiple Marvel projects and Cocaine Bear.  

I think part of is the overall lack of films being released in comparison to pre-pandemic. I’ve been going to the movies weekly and seen some truly odd selections for the previews. Last week a romantic comedy I was seeing had Cocaine Bear and horror films for previews. Sometimes seems like studios are just throwing out everything and hoping something sticks with the audience.

• Like 1

I just saw this on Paramount+ and really enjoyed it. I love all the ladies, but was so distracted by Jane Fonda's face, it took me out of all her scenes.  Good use of Harry Hamlin and Glynn Turman. Loved Billy Porter also.  I felt the movie was just long enough that I didn't get bored. Glad the ladies were supportive and protective of each other throughout. Fun way to spend 90 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, jah1986 said:

I just saw this on Paramount+

Ah, thank you.  Despite Tom Brady, I want to see this because of the fabulous cast, but not until I could do so for free.  I have access to Paramount+ via a friend's account, so I will add this to my list and watch this weekend.

• Like 2
(edited)

What or who is a Gronk?

ETA: Never mind.  Sister explained it to me. Although she's also concerned that I actually watched the first 50 minutes of this movie.

Edited by QQQQ

Nothing can make re-living that Super Bowl palatable, or Brady and Gronk charming, so I'd have liked this more if they were "80 for Manning" wanting to go to Super Bowl XLII (BTW, Edelman, that has the best Super Bowl catch ever).  Even switching out the team, though, it would still be quite a ridiculous story (yes, it's based on real people, but not on real events).  But it's cute, and it's terrific seeing these four acting legends together.  They deserve a far better script, but they make the film watchable. 

I like that the men weren't distracting (and Mickey was a hoot), it's about the friendship.  That definitely should have been better developed, but the actors sold it.

I like that we got to see what Trish looks like at home, since she gets all dolled up to go anywhere, even just to watch football with her friends.  Betty telling her husband his paper is important to him, not to her, was great, too, and I like that it got through to him, and he apologized, told her to have a great time, and didn't call her again.

• Like 1

I watched this on Paramount + and it was a nice,cute, charming little movie.  I'm glad they had a fun adventure and it shows you can still have fun adventures at any age.  Don't get wrapped up in the mindset of being too old. The end got me as I thought Lou had passed away when it cut to 2020.  Fun seeing many of these actors as well.  I don't know why Jane Fonda got all that work though it made her look worse. Sally Field looked so much more natural and better. 

• Love 1

I watched this afternoon, Paramount+, and enjoyed it. I don’t have strong feelings one way or the other re: Brady.

Love Fonda & Tomlin in Grace & Frankie. In that, Fonda doesn’t look as over-plasticized as she did in this movie. Part was the hair & makeup. They were all so good in this! Age range of the four is 76 to 91 now. Pretty amazing.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

In that, Fonda doesn’t look as over-plasticized as she did in this movie. Part was the hair & makeup.

It was perfect for the character -- she doesn't step out of the house, even just to go watch football with her friends, without getting dolled up like her old glam self, but at home she goes natural (well, the Hollywood version of natural).

• Like 3

I enjoyed it a lot, great group of 4 and different plot with then being football fans. 

Was really happy it didn't end on the Lily's character being dead. Not nice fake out. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I wouldn’t pay to see this crap in a theatre but was intrigued & just streamed it. Absolutely horrible. I had to ff’d most of it. Why would these liberal women (irl) even want to speak to these men? Tom Brady is disgusting.  Good Lord, as said by others here, Jane Fonda looks incredibly plastic. She is scary to watch. Is she dipped in wax, stretched to the max, plastered in theater makeup? How can anyone watch her these days and not be distracted. And while I’m all for elderly women not dressing like they’ve given up, there is a breaking point where you just look like fodder for jokes.
These women can act but not in this movie. And that goes for the other schlock movie of Janes, the Bookclub 2 .
Good for you Sally Field for not f***ing up your face. 

I thought this movie was cute.  My brother has been a patriots fan forever when they could not win a game.   Most people don’t remember that.  So I told him I watched this one for him.  I am sure he was thrilled.

Sally Fields character was the most relatable imho.