Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E08: Halloween

• Start Topic

Halloween theme plus Team Dances
“Halloween Night” – The ballroom transforms for a haunting “Halloween Night” as the nine remaining couples perform bewitching new routines.
As an extra trick (or treat), the contestants are split into groups to compete in a terrifying team dance.

The Teams:
Team Wicked – “The Witches Are Back” from Hocus Pocus 2
Vinny & Koko, Shangela & Gleb, Gabby & Val, Heidi & Artem and Jordin & Brandon
Team Scream – “Heads Will Roll” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Trevor & Emma, Charli & Mark, Wayne & Witney and Daniel & Britt

Edited by Melonie77

Disney's episode blurb claims "Hosts Tyra Banks and Alfonso Ribeiro will walk out to “Night Crawling” by Miley Cyrus ft. Billy Idol."

Does this mean that there won't be a group intro dance and Tyra will instead be given time to parade about and strike poses in her costume? What a surprise!🤣

Thoughts so far...

Loved Gleb and Sangela's very creative and creepy doll dance. Shangela's reaction to her scores was funny. I think Gleb's dolly-girlfriend was even more horrifying than the two of them...I wonder who was behind that very eerie mask.

Mark and Charli's ode to exorcism movies was very good but there is something missing from her dances. She is certainly not the best contestant to ever appear on the show.

Love Sasha's yearly Halloween pranks!
The audience was told they could dress up and it looks like many of them did.
I wonder why Alphonso did not wear any costume or Halloween attire.
I've been enjoying the occasional dance demonstrations and particularly liked tonight's presentation of the difference between the Tango and Argentine Tango. Derek does a great job with these. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

Heidi is safe and looks pissed off, while Jordin is going home and is jumping for joy and beaming.

Heidi can leave yesterday.  Dammit, Len!

Shocker the Production Picks mom was saved!!

Also Pissed Vinny is still fucking there! 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

Heidi is safe and looks pissed off, while Jordin is going home and is jumping for joy and beaming.

Jordin's in the bottom for the first time and gets sent home. I am LIVID. 

This was Heidi's second time in the bottom. It was her time to go. 

And then there's Vinny. 

These judges and their little pets are so fuggin annoying. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Jordin's in the bottom for the first time and gets sent home. I am LIVID. 

This was Heidi's second time in the bottom. It was her time to go. 

And then there's Vinny. 

These judges and their little pets are so fuggin annoying. 

That's right it was Heidi's second time! Fuck these Judges and Production and their sickening blatant favoritism for a fucking Tik Tok star and my god the Jersey shore fanbase is so annoying Vinny shouldve been gone by now 

Edited by Josh371982
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

Yes, & double damn the production team. Both Heidi & Charli can leave anytime. 

Jordin has such a sparkling (no pun) personality. Both DeMelios (sp?) are so tense and boring. 

Bruno is wearing off on Derek! 

Vinnie isn't a great dancer, but at least he's putting effort in and enjoying himself, which is not what I get from Heidi or Charli. 

Edited by Kristi800
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Once more, I am begging people to stop voting for Vinny!  It was so obvious in the group dance how far behind the others he is in skill and growth.  And so Jordin, who has been improving and doing really well, gets sent home while we are stuck with Vinny yet again.  If he ends up in the finals, it will be a joke.

Jordin - I hated this song choice, and the dance was a bit awkward in a couple of places, but she's been improving and is doing quite well.  She should not have gone home tonight.

Charli - Mark's choreography was at its best in this dance.  It was awesome!  But I couldn't help wishing he were dancing it with someone else who could really bring it to life.  Charli is technically great, but I just don't "feel" anything when she dances.  And that's a dance that should have made people feel.  <sigh>

Daniel - I thought he did really well for having missed a day of training.  I think paso is one of those dances that's really hard for the male celebrities.  A lot of them don't do it well.  Daniel acquitted himself nicely here.

Shangela - This was phenomenal!  I did not think Gleb had that kind of choreography in him.  He's like a whole different pro paired with Shangela.  I really want her to make it to the finals.  She's just so much fun to watch.  Definitely deserved that perfect score.

Vinny - Nope.  Just nope.  I get that he's trying, but he just doesn't have it in him.  He should have gone a couple of weeks ago, and there's no excuse for him to still be there.

Heidi - This was great choreography by Artem, and she danced it well.  But she has the same problem her daughter does - she doesn't make me feel anything.  

Gabby - I thought this was good, but I wouldn't have given it any 10s.  She did seem to suffer just a bit from having had to change partners.  Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I love that song, and I hated what they did to it.

Wayne - Great comeback after last week.  This was really good, and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Trevor - Oh my God!!  That was such a wonderful, emotional dance.  Great choreography by Emma, and Trevor handled it so well.  It was like watching a totally different dancer out there.  It could have been better technically, but the heart with which he danced more than made up for any deficiencies.  That dance made me feel.

Team Wicked - This was a fun dance, but it showed so clearly how far behind the others Vinny is as a dancer.  They all seemed to go for lifts in their solos with greater and lesser degrees of success.

Team Scream - Really enjoyed this dance, and I liked the variety in the solos - more dancing with few big lifts.  I also liked the choreography going on around the solo dancers.  Both dances were fun, but I agreed with the judges that this was the better one.

As soon as I realized Heidi was in the bottom two again, I told my husband I expected they would save her so they could keep going with the ridiculous mother-daughter "rivalry" crap.  Jordin earned another week.  

Edited by LadyMustang65
  • Love 8
(edited)

I'm worried about Vinnie being able to stay in past next week and perhaps into the finals. I'm not sure it's the Jersey Shore fanbase voting for him. I've seen a lot of support for him on Reddit and noticed he gets a good amount of cheering from the audience - more than many other dancers. Maybe people see him as an underdog to cheer for? But he is not getting much better.

Tonight his performance reminded me of a dance version of a 'paint-by-number' painting. It was very step by step and too mechanical.
I don't like his attitude nor his partnership with KoKo either. He's a curmudgeon and she seems to be frustrated with him. There's been a few times where they've shown her getting annoyed with him. I hope the show can find a way to send him home next week with the latest contest - a relay dance.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

When the bottom two were revealed I wasn't sure who I hoped would leave....I really like Jordan a lot more than Heidi, but Heidi's dances are better. And I like Artem a lot. He is a much better pro than Brandon.
I thought it was funny when Carri Ann made a comment about being thankful for Heidi smiling while being critiqued. When Len said Charli made a mistake during the team dance she argued back a bit saying something about being the 'murderer'. I don't think the TikTok pair like being critiqued.

• Love 1

Not surprised in the result of tonight's elimination. I knew this would be a make or break week for Vinny. Unfortunately, I knew I would be correct in that he is getting at least to semis but possibly now to finals, knocking out better dancers. And, alas, Jordin fought a losing battle over Heidi. Goddamnit, Carrie Ann! I knew Len would save his Precious Older Lady contestant, but you?!?! You were on point ALL NIGHT and then you do this?!?!

Jordin going leaves Daniel in immediate danger next week, it leaves Heidi, Shangela and Trevor also in danger. Shangela has a huge fanbase, but I think that Vinny continuing to escape the bottom two while being at the bottom every week leaves into question if his fanbase is bigger than hers. Hell, is his fanbase bigger than one of the frontrunners'?

21 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Team Wicked - This was a fun dance, but it showed so clearly how far behind the others Vinny is as a dancer.  They all seemed to go for lifts in their solos with greater and lesser degrees of success.

I think they ALL failed their solo segments, including lifts. It wasn't just Vinny, either. Jordin tripped on her dress during her solo AND fumbled her cartwheel badly, Shangela had her arms flailing too much at the end, Alan almost dropped Gabby when he flipped her, and Heidi was doing THE softest flicks with her feet and also fumbled her lift. 

They had fun, but the team dance was a mess. It didn't deserve that pity 9.

Meanwhile, Team Scream planned out a storyline in order to help elevate their dance, and it worked. It wasn't just in sync with their partners, it was in sync with each other. And I loved the different ways they split apart and came back together. 

As for the rest of the night, Shangela and Trevor had my favourite dances. Shangela's dance was just stunning. Gleb completely shocked me with how GOOD it was. I'm so happy she got the perfect score tonight; she more than deserves it. And Trevor? Man, he's been embodying what this show is about, similar to what Iman did last year. Unfortunately, Trevor has a lot to overcome and I can't see him getting to the finals just with how stacked this cast is, but in any other season, I'd want him in the finals 100%. He's grown the most out of anyone and you can see how much it means to him to be there. 

I'm glad Daniel had a slightly better week here. He's trying so hard and I did think his Paso was quite good. Derek's shout-out to him after the team dance, coupled with the two 9s he got during his own dance, really touched him, you could tell. He looked surprised when Derek singled him out in a positive way. 

Wayne had a good comeback this week, but not nearly enough. I actually think this was NOT Witney's best work. I also did think Wayne made some missteps by the end, and Witney should not have done that last move at the end (lifting herself off the floor) because Wayne seemed like he was going to but stopped, so it looked VERY awkward. 

Gabby and Alan! Wow, Alan pulled something from Gabby that Val has been unsuccessful with. He somehow reeled in her cheerleader smile and kept her gaze on him. She didn't do that a couple of dances ago with Val, so seeing Alan be able to do that with her was very, very important. Yes, she still had her smiley moments but there was a point where Gabby smiled at the camera and Alan reeled her in to him. Great partnership; I think Gabby would have done better with Alan.

Charli's dance was...ok, nothing that special, kind of boring, and I'm glad for CAI being more picky with her this week.

Heidi...is there. This dance was a severe step back, though. I don't mind Heidi or her dances usually, but this week was especially bad. Yes, Heidi is usually expressionless when she dances, but this week, she looked...lost. Not in a good way, but as if she couldn't remember her next step. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

🤚 Wait!

I loved that version of Shivers. Sounded so much sexier than Ed Sheeran's version of "Oooh, I love it when you do it like that...."

I just found out a group called District 78 did a cover of the song, and that's the version DWTS used tonight.  Listening to their version, I liked it much better.  Still love Ed's original - I have it on my ipod and will play it multiple times before moving on - but this version was better for the Halloween theme.  It's just that their band isn't that great at times.

• Thanks 2

So I watched Charli Shangela and Wayne because they really are the only ones I’m interested in.

I won’t vote for Charli on principle, but man that choreo was so damn good, probably one of the best Argentine Tangos with the Halloween theme. When Derek says he likes the more intense tango I much prefer what Mark does with how an Argentine style is different than ballroom Tango. The back bend  exorcist walk was just so Incredibly unexpected creepy and perfect for the atmosphere. I love how Mark issues her abilities in such creative ways.Could we have seen a little more erotica? Yes but she’s 18 and I know the pros try not to go too far when they are younger. 

Shangela finally got her perfect score and it was because it was a fairly simple dance, it could have been more intricate but Gleb doesn’t have the background in Jazz so simple sells well. Honestly I enjoy their rehearsal packages more than the dancing. 

Wayne did well enough but his partner isn’t  very creative and that’s what was wrong with the routine.. I wished he had Daniella for a partner because her choreography is so much better than the repetition in Witneys hip hop, and she definitely would have done so much more with the Halloween theme music. 
Too bad Jordan left over Heidi, the woman is now a 2 time bottom- seems to be the killer of first timers in the bottom first Joseph now Jordan. 

who the hell is still voting for douche Vinny?  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

They saved Heidi, who only is on the show for being a Tik Tok celebrity's mom, over Jordin, an actual celebrity?

Gotta keep their favorite and pick to win Charli happy, Cause it's a mandate the "Tik Tok Social Media Megastar" must be protected.

51 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

That's right it was Heidi's second time! Fuck these Judges and Production and their sickening blatant favoritism for a fucking Tik Tok star and my god the Jersey shore fanbase is so annoying Vinny shouldve been gone by now 

And did you see Charli’s FACE when Len called her out on a mistake??  I thought she was going to slice him in two on the spot!  Then of course Mark had to jump in and say, “Oh, no…precious girl didn’t goof, I did!!

She also looked royally pissed to be the last one called safe.  I would be thrilled if she and her RBF mother were bottom three!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

And did you see Charli’s FACE when Len called her out on a mistake??  I thought she was going to slice him in two on the spot!  Then of course Mark had to jump in and say, “Oh, no…precious girl didn’t goof, I did!!

She also looked royally pissed to be the last one called safe.  I would be thrilled if she and her RBF mother were bottom three!

Awww Charli the entitled Tik Tok Megastar was called safe last. Waaah waaah waaah. She needs to be a shock boot. But Production is probably counting on her fanbase thinking she's losing votes so they vote harder to save their precious Chosen one safe 

(edited)

A few more thoughts...

Loved Trevor and Emma's dance! Trevor has some skills and musicality and Emma is bringing it all out with great choreography. She should make every dance have a story for him to relate to - it's actually an effective learning tool for him. I'm so glad he has stayed in this long and hope he will continue past Vinnie, Daniel and Heidi.

I enjoyed watching Wayne and Whitney's dance but couldn't help noticing the resemblance to Twitch and Cyrus's fantastic robotic-animation dance choreographed by Christopher Scott's on SYTYCD.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Love 2

I was really disappointed in the team dances overall....In the past the Halloween team dances were much bigger productions with group costumes, props and a major theme and story - and far better recognizable music clearly associated with Halloween.
I'm sure long time viewers will remember but here are some examples to compare. These dances from the past make tonight's group dances look bad.

Both Mark and Derek were pros on the season that produced the 2 dances above. They choreographed and performed in them with their stars. I wonder what they really thought of tonight's Halloween group dances?

Here are a couple more...

• Love 3

Yes the team dances were performed  with their original costumes. I thought everything would have been better with  more of a team look.  I think the COVID protocols came into play here, especially with yet another pro testing positive-they all had less rehearsal time and they probably had to forego the larger production numbers. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

That’s what I want to know. He is horrible and has a pissy attitude. And his team stunk big time.

Maybe it's not just about who is voting for him but it might also be about who doesn't bother voting?

Out of all the people I know that watch the show I'm the only one that votes. I think a lot of folks can't be bothered. With the move to Disney there may be even fewer people voting. If there are a group of people determined to keep a contestant in they are going to make him outlast an overall lackluster voting public.

More viewers have to vote for the other contestants. I guess it can't be left to just the fan base of each cast member to vote. We could end up with another Bobby Bones season if Vinnie never gets into the bottom 2.

There’s a real “feel sorry for Vinnie” ground swell after he was criticized for his crap he calls dancing from Len. Then the Jersey Shore fanbase got all motivated when they never were so motivated for Snooki who was a far superior performer. He’s still a douche even commenting that he kept up with the male pros on the team dance. Yeah right Vinnie. Narcissists like this goombah are a dime a dozen. If I want to be entertained by useless individuals I can watch Judge Judy.  He has only been in the bottom once whilst Trevor and Heidi have been there twice. So who’s next. Hopefully the relays will finally knock him out or somebody else will be going home.

• Love 3

ETA: I think I have a reason why they’re keeping Heidi around. The theory is strategic. It’s pretty obvious that when Heidi goes her votes will go over to Charli , who, at the moment is getting through without the boost. However, her being called safe last tonight is a signal to her fans that they need to vote, and if she gets into trouble with the votes moving forward my guess is her mom will be the sacrificial lamb to keep the DeMelio name on top of the leaderboard. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

I'm worried about Vinnie being able to stay in past next week and perhaps into the finals. I'm not sure it's the Jersey Shore fanbase voting for him. I've seen a lot of support for him on Reddit and noticed he gets a good amount of cheering from the audience - more than many other dancers. Maybe people see him as an underdog to cheer for? But he is not getting much better.

Tonight his performance reminded me of a dance version of a 'paint-by-number' painting. It was very step by step and too mechanical.
I don't like his attitude nor his partnership with KoKo either. He's a curmudgeon and she seems to be frustrated with him. There's been a few times where they've shown her getting annoyed with him. I hope the show can find a way to send him home next week with the latest contest - a relay dance.

I feel like this is a “vote for the worst” situation. I remember thinking that was funny phenomenon back in the day but now find it painful.  I just fast forward through his entire package. I keep hoping that as the votes condense they will finally overcome his vote base. If not it will show that this system is a farce. 
agree that Heidi should have gone home. She should have been dressed as the cyborg because that’s the vibe I get from her every week.  Jordan got screwed but she took it like a pro. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, White Dog said:

Yes the team dances were performed  with their original costumes. I thought everything would have been better with  more of a team look.  I think the COVID protocols came into play here, especially with yet another pro testing positive-they all had less rehearsal time and they probably had to forego the larger production numbers. 

That, and with how the make-up team went all out with each couple this season for their dance, they essentially left no time for many of them to get out of their costume and into another one. So it would look real funny for them to be in matching costumes but then see Brandon, Heidi, Shangela, Gleb, etc. be in their original make-up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ag54 said:

I feel like this is a “vote for the worst” situation. 

I really don't think this is it and I also think those kind of votes don't ever make up as much of the totals anyway.

I might consider starting to replace Jordin with Gabby in my voting roster that includes Vinny, Shangela, Trevor, and Daniel. Or I might just keep it to those 4 but then in the finale just vote for whoever has the best shot at beating Charlie. Which actually is probably Wayne.

7 hours ago, White Dog said:

ETA: I think I have a reason why they’re keeping Heidi around. The theory is strategic. It’s pretty obvious that when Heidi goes her votes will go over to Charli , who, at the moment is getting through without the boost. However, her being called safe last tonight is a signal to her fans that they need to vote, and if she gets into trouble with the votes moving forward my guess is her mom will be the sacrificial lamb to keep the DeMelio name on top of the leaderboard. 

I dont get why it's so imperative for them to kiss the ass of and favor someone who dances on Tik Tok and is only famous for that. The favoritism is sickening. Shes not a real star in my eyes 

• Love 6

Vinny and Koko’s makeup was AMAZING. Heidi and Artem’s also looked really good.

Charli is clearly a really good dancer, but her performance is always so dull. Heidi, too.

I really enjoyed Trevor and Emma’s. He’s come a long way.

Edited by Electruck
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Charli is technically good but she's back to not performing.  I actually gave her kudos on her foxtrot performance last week. 

I wished Jordin would have stayed.  She went out joyfully while Heidi looked pissed.  I'm sorry but Heidi look like she forgot the choreography last night especially during the group dance. The witch group dance was a mess.  Yes, Vinny is technically weak in comparison but Heidi was the one that stuck out to me as being worse because she looked lost.  Plus she was already in the bottom twice and this was the first time Jordin was in the bottom.

I was disappointed in Wayne and Witney's contemporary.  That was the dance I was mostly looking forward to because she did great Halloween contemporaries for Milo and Frankie.  Plus it was a District 78 song and the Vibe (the Utah dance studio where she, Lindsey, and Brandon danced) always uses District 78 so she's used to choreographing to their songs.  Melonie77, the beginning did remind me of Twitch's and Cyrus' dance and I knew that there was no way that they would match that dance.  But I was still hopeful.  There were some good parts but I think my expectations were too high.

Team Scream had better more creative choreographers on their team.  It was weird that everyone kept their own costumes.  It looks more unified with matching costumes.  You can tell that the show wanted Trevor to stay based on their comments on keeping him from the bottom.  And they set it up with Vinny getting the lowest scores.  It didn't work.

I had a feeling that Trevor and Emma would try to duplicate Ghost because of the song. Plus it's a love story and the show can't resist playing to some kind of showmance.  He was good in it since it plays to his acting abilities.

Gabby had more chemistry with Alan than Val.  There were some minor mistakes in their dance but that's probably due to switching partners.

Shangela is a great performer.  Even better, I don't mind Gleb this season.  I usually think he's a sleeze or douche.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Gleb's choreography last night was the best I've ever seen from him. He is much better with Shangela than he has been with anyone else. I hope she makes the finals, but I don't see her beating Wayne, Charli or Gabby.

Trevor was much better and his dance was pretty good, but it wasn't worthy of 10s. He seems nice and all, but why are they working so hard to keep him? Or Heidi? Jordin was only on the bottom once, so they should have kept her. I give her kudos for smiling the whole time, because they royally screwed her. The judges' save is way past its expiration date. Time to let the people on the bottom go.

I had to laugh that Vinny picked the three weakest choreographers (Alan, Gleb and Brandon) for his team.  On top of that, Koko certainly didn't help, either. That had to be the worst team dance ever.

• Love 3

Shangela really brings out the best in Gleb. That partnership has elevated his choreography and his overall personality. Their dance was the best last night and deserved to be at the top of the leaderboard. Full stop.

Sick of the machinations made possible by these second rounds - marathons, teams, relays - whatever label you'd like to give it, it's propping up dancers who don't need/deserve it. Case in point: Charli and Mark still ending up atop the leaderboard last night. 

I actually find Heidi more emotive than her daughter. Charli is competent but she's very stiff and doesn't come off like a pro at all. For all the excitement Mark brings to the ballroom, I don't find even his clever tricks can make her shine. She's nowhere near the bottom yet - that was a fake-out because she's not near the top.

I don't mind Heidi being kept around because I love Artem. And at least I feel I've seen Heidi grow. 

For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think Vinny goes next week. They'll find some way to boot him, even if it's through a shady double elimination. 

I certainly enjoy the Daniel/Britt partnership, but I don't get the intense love for Daniel. He's not a great dancer and he's not improving that much. I thought that paso was a mess. I'd have sent him home before Jordin, and would send him home before Trevor or Heidi.

The Trevor and Emma thing is also much too much. He's ok, and he's shown growth, but it's not the great arc production is telling us it is. Please stop making it all so awkward with Sasha standing right there. 

Loved Alan and Gabby. I hope they stop nitpicking her so she can make the finals. Her dances always entertain me most, and now I know it's not because of my Val bias. Speaking of Val - yikes! I hope he's alone and Jenna is ok. I'm about as pregnant as she is, and the idea of COVID terrifies me right now. I hope she has the support and care she needs while he quarantines. 

Wayne Brady will win this thing. He's going to get to the finals, and people are going to vote for that cool, funny guy who turned out some great dances instead of the Tik Tok star who rolled in already a dancer. They can't make it obvious, but that's what TPTB want right now, I think. They're careful to place him near the top each week - even after a stumble - and he gets really sympathetic, relatable packages. Count me as one who thinks he might already be miles ahead in votes.

Poor Jordin. She didn't deserve to go - especially this week - but she was no production darling. She consistently danced early, with very little extra sparkle thrown into her packages, and she had to do many dances in hold. I don't feel she got a lot of room to shine, and I love Brandon as a pro, but his choreo is lacking. He just can't seem to produce a wow number the way Mark, Whitney, Artem, and Val can. 

The team dances clearly suffered in the wake of Val's illness. Time lost, shakeups, etc. must have left no time to pull together something show-stopping. Almost every Halloween ep I've watched had better material. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I didn't see it that way at all, she looked awkward and embarrassed. Len's delivery was very strange and everyone going silent didn't help smooth it over, Witney was standing there with her eyes darting around and no one was talking, the whole moment was awkward. And she tried to joke it off by saying "I was hiding a murder." And I think she and the others might have been confused about exactly when she went off, it certainly wasn't an obvious gaffe like we saw in the other group dance.

I didn't know her before this and I'm not into TikTok, but I can't be bothered to get worked up over a kid maybe not having the wherewithal to react perfectly in every situation, I know I couldn't have at 18. 

I had to laugh that Vinny picked the three weakest choreographers (Alan, Gleb and Brandon) for his team.  On top of that, Koko certainly didn't help, either. That had to be the worst team dance ever.

That was the biggest mistake in the team division, all of the really creative choreographers were on the other side. And the "stand and clap choreography" while the solos danced was a noticeably bad idea. Perhaps Val's illness impacted things as well, but it really did not come together well. I think every single couple bobbled at least one lift, even Gabby came down awkwardly on one and she's probably the best at them out of that group. Shangela's energy helped them a bit, but overall, it was not good.

I wished Jordin would have stayed.  She went out joyfully while Heidi looked pissed.  I'm sorry but Heidi look like she forgot the choreography last night especially during the group dance. The witch group dance was a mess.  Yes, Vinny is technically weak in comparison but Heidi was the one that stuck out to me as being worse because she looked lost.  Plus she was already in the bottom twice and this was the first time Jordin was in the bottom.

Heidi really did look noticeably lost, I think she went wrong at some point and then struggled to get back into the rhythm. And I don't think Heidi has another expression, even her smile is hard. I think it's just her face and her makeup didn't help. It was beautifully done makeup, but on her particular face, it highlighted the resting bitch face she already has. 

Vinny and KoKo's makeup was artistically great too, but completely freaked me out. The weeping eyes on KoKo made her every expression look incredibly creepy.

I can't figure out if that was just a very flattering outfit on Jordin or if she'd lost some weight. I was thinking she had lost a lot, but then they showed last week's recap and it didn't appear that way anymore. Maybe it was just the hair and the tight bodysuit. She went out with a lot of grace, but I couldn't help thinking she jinxed herself in her Alfonso interview when she said she'd have to do a certain dance next week. She caught herself and said "if things line up right" but the DWTS jinx got her anyway. 

I liked her as a person and she danced well enough, but she wasn't someone whose dancing really excited me, so I'm not too upset that she went. But please let Vinny go next, it's well past time. He tried, but it's just not clicking. He couldn't even clap on beat in that group dance. Time to let him ride off into the sunset.

The Trevor and Emma thing is also much too much. He's ok, and he's shown growth, but it's not the great arc production is telling us it is. Please stop making it all so awkward with Sasha standing right there.

Trevor has certainly improved, but the showmance thing with a dancer whose estranged husband is also there is uncomfortable to watch. Also, I don't know if it's because she's co-emceeing the DWTS tour, but Emma has been excessively camera-hogging in a way I've never seen her before. She'd always seemed so low-key, but there's something different about her this season that I find off putting.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Trevor has certainly improved, but the showmance thing with a dancer whose estranged husband is also there is uncomfortable to watch. Also, I don't know if it's because she's co-emceeing the DWTS tour, but Emma has been excessively camera-hogging in a way I've never seen her before. She'd always seemed so low-key, but there's something different about her this season that I find off putting.

You're right. There is something annoying about her this season. I don't know if she and Trevor are hooking up, but they give off vibes that they are and it is awkward with Sasha there. The show seems to be shoving their romance/showmance down our throats as well. He has been on the bottom two twice, but they manage to pull out the tens to keep him.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

You're right. There is something annoying about her this season. I don't know if she and Trevor are hooking up, but they give off vibes that they are and it is awkward with Sasha there. The show seems to be shoving their romance/showmance down our throats as well. He has been on the bottom two twice, but they manage to pull out the tens to keep him.

I actually disagree. I think they stopped the showmance angle after week 2. They haven't really mentioned it (especially after it being shoved down out throats week 2) and I've enjoyed them more, as a result. But also, Trevor being saved twice made sense. The first time, he was against Sam, who had already been in the bottom two the week before and, although Trevor and Sam were equal in dancing ability at that stage, saving Trevor made sense.

Saving Trevor over JJD personally made me happy, but also Trevor was showing more growth than JJD, who was still stomping in her dances.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I actually disagree. I think they stopped the showmance angle after week 2. They haven't really mentioned it (especially after it being shoved down out throats week 2) and I've enjoyed them more, as a result. But also, Trevor being saved twice made sense. The first time, he was against Sam, who had already been in the bottom two the week before and, although Trevor and Sam were equal in dancing ability at that stage, saving Trevor made sense.

Saving Trevor over JJD personally made me happy, but also Trevor was showing more growth than JJD, who was still stomping in her dances.

Normally, I don't care if Trevor and Emma were hooking up but it is distasteful for the show to hint about it since Sasha is there.  Previously, I wrote that Trevor looked good in their contemporary because he performed it well which he should since he does those Hallmark movies.  I don't think it deserved 10s but the show is always generous when it comes to contemporaries.

I didn't mind Trevor being saved over Sam or JJD.  It was just obvious that the show was trying to save him because of comments.  I do think the show was also trying to get Vinny in the bottom 2.

Edit to add - although last year, I did make the comment that if they were going to hand out 10s for contemporaries, Jimmie and Emma should have received at least a 10 for theirs.  I thought that story was more compelling than last night's ghost story.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That, and with how the make-up team went all out with each couple this season for their dance, they essentially left no time for many of them to get out of their costume and into another one. So it would look real funny for them to be in matching costumes but then see Brandon, Heidi, Shangela, Gleb, etc. be in their o

Maybe -but during season 25 Jordan Fisher was originally a Werewolf with a bunch of fur on his face and fangs and wolf body for his Paso Doble and Lindsay was a blond little red riding hood... Then for the Monster Mash the fur was gone and Lindsay was a red headed harlequin clown.  I think the show being 2 hours live need to think about how the costume changes will work and select teams that dance earlier or later depending on the wardrobe changes. It may have been the Covid protocols this time, but to keep people interested they need to think about it moving forward because this was a fail. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, realdancemom said:
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Normally, I don't care if Trevor and Emma were hooking up but it is distasteful for the show to hint about it since Sasha is there

Yeah, adultery isn't something to celebrate.  There have been hook ups real and imagined with someone else's husband or wife over the years and it's just damn disrespectful. Even if Sasha and Emma are not together anymore, they're still legally married. The show pushing the story overtly earlier and then subtly with the storyline of the overwrought contemporary of her being his dead wife was tasteless. She didn't need to be his 'wife' she could just be a ghost or an angel of death, like in All That Jazz. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

I was really disappointed in the team dances overall....In the past the Halloween team dances were much bigger productions with group costumes, props and a major theme and story - and far better recognizable music clearly associated with Halloween.
I'm sure long time viewers will remember but here are some examples to compare. These dances from the past make tonight's group dances look bad.

Both Mark and Derek were pros on the season that produced the 2 dances above. They choreographed and performed in them with their stars. I wonder what they really thought of tonight's Halloween group dances?

Here are a couple more...

I know it was a silly song, but I liked the What Did the Fox Say? group dance. It seems like the team dances were better when Derek, Mark, and even Maks were there. 

Len mentioning a club in Argentina and then Tyra talking about clubbing. She's so annoying. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I know it was a silly song, but I liked the What Did the Fox Say? group dance. It seems like the team dances were better when Derek, Mark, and even Maks were there. 

Len mentioning a club in Argentina and then Tyra talking about clubbing. She's so annoying. 

Yes, I miss the team dances with the old pros, especially Derek. I still remember those. I'm not going to remember the ones from yesterday.

I like Derek as a judge, but it would be nice if he came back as a pro.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, White Dog said:

I'm not so sure that holds up since they are always careful to say when it gets down to three couples left that all those couples are not necessarily at the bottom.  So I think calling Charli safe last was just an attempt to build suspense, which of course didn't work because until Charli is actually called in the bottom two, you won't convince anyone that she's really 3rd in the popular vote.  I think they're keeping Heidi around because they always love their "faux" competitions.  Remember Carlos and Alexa Pena Vega?  And Nick and Vanessa Lachey? It's their second favorite tactic after showmances to try to drum up some drama.

2 hours ago, White Dog said:

Maybe -but during season 25 Jordan Fisher was originally a Werewolf with a bunch of fur on his face and fangs and wolf body for his Paso Doble and Lindsay was a blond little red riding hood... Then for the Monster Mash the fur was gone and Lindsay was a red headed harlequin clown.  I think the show being 2 hours live need to think about how the costume changes will work and select teams that dance earlier or later depending on the wardrobe changes. It may have been the Covid protocols this time, but to keep people interested they need to think about it moving forward because this was a fail. 

That's a bit easier to take off in a short time than full body paint, though. I do agree, though, the team dances would have been way better coordinated visually. I just think, because they went all out on the makeup for each couple, it was physically impossible for them to change into team outfits without looking weird.

2 hours ago, White Dog said:

Yeah, adultery isn't something to celebrate.  There have been hook ups real and imagined with someone else's husband or wife over the years and it's just damn disrespectful. Even if Sasha and Emma are not together anymore, they're still legally married. The show pushing the story overtly earlier and then subtly with the storyline of the overwrought contemporary of her being his dead wife was tasteless. She didn't need to be his 'wife' she could just be a ghost or an angel of death, like in All That Jazz. 

I mean, to be fair, we don't know Sasha/Emma's situation at all, how long they've been separated, what their arrangement is, etc. So we can't really judge it based off the little info we know. It's not adultery if they've been separated for several months, or if they both are already seeing other people or agreed that it's ok to see other people (as divorce can take a long ass time to finalize). 

However, seeing as the show dropped the showmance angle REAL FAST (and they did; they stopped talking about Tremma as a couple after that horridly offensive week 2 when it's all they talked about), it probably WAS uncomfortable for Sasha and probably for Emma too. They really haven't talked about Trevor/Emma in a romantic/sexual sense since, so thank god for that. That was terrible of the show to do week 2, especially when most were unaware of the Sasha/Emma separation.

• Love 2

Like others said, Vinny made the rookie mistake of picking his stars and not his pros. Trevor picked second and he got both Mark and Witney and already had the advantage of Emma. Vinny's team should have had Val but with Val out there was no one there to push the team into doing something interesting. Artem and Gleb as the most experienced pros? They were fucked. 

• Like 2

Well, Tyra's outfit wasn't as outlandish as usual. I'm sad they took away the opening group dances again.

They have amazing hair, makeup, and wardrobe teams!

Jordin-I had written down that she was solidly in the middle of the pack, and that I didn't see her going much farther. Imo, I think the Heidi was the right one to save.

Charli-I'm glad Mark was able to dance. As much as I dislike Charli, I appreciate and like Mark's dancing/choreography. I'm shaking my head at Drek saying he "likes more punch", then gives her a 10. I don't understand why everyone was so impressed with the backbend walk.

Daniel-It's probably not fair, but I can't help but compare him to Nyle. He does well, but there's just something that doesn't click with me.

I like Derek's dance lessons

Shangela-She deserved that perfect score-she owned that dance floor. Props to Gleb as well.

Vinny-Maybe it's just me, but that didn't really seem like a Paso Doble. He's still stompy and just not smooth. He needs to go.

Heidi-I personally liked last week's dance better, but it was still good.

Gabby-I like Alan, but I feel like it would have had more punch/impact with Val. There was a stumble, they shouldn't have gotten 10s.

Wayne-Y'all know how much I love this man and hope he wins, but I still don't like contemporaries and I didn't care for this one. There was also too much fog. I kind of wish he didn't say anything about being injured-it almost sounds like he's making pre-emptive excuses 😟

Trevor-He has improved so much that it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a dark horse finalist. He definitely better stay longer than Vinny.

Did any of you ever watch World of Dance? Derek saying "goosies" 🤣

Team Wicked-Not a great group dance that also had some really awkward lifts.

Team Scream-Did the sainted Charli actually get called out for a misstep? This group dance was 100% better than Team Scream.

Are there really only 3 weeks left? If so, I'm smelling a double elimination or two...

I almost forgot to mention Sasha-I love how he gets so excited about Halloween. I felt bad for him when Jordin just looked at him :)

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 10:08 PM, Melonie77 said:

When the bottom two were revealed I wasn't sure who I hoped would leave....I really like Jordan a lot more than Heidi, but Heidi's dances are better. And I like Artem a lot. He is a much better pro than Brandon.

This, so much this!

• Love 1