Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E08: Halloween

• Start Topic

I find the voting power of Vinny oddly interesting. Because this isn't the first time the show's had a Jersey Shore cast member on and neither outstayed their welcome this long. The Situation was quickly dispatched and Snooki was actually not a bad dancer and endeared herself to the viewers but still left mid-season. Actually, if I remember correctly, she was voted out during Halloween Week. So it's odd that Vinny, despite his consistently low scores, seems to have a rabid voter base that keeps him entirely out of the Bottom 2. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, vibeology said:

Like others said, Vinny made the rookie mistake of picking his stars and not his pros. Trevor picked second and he got both Mark and Witney and already had the advantage of Emma. Vinny's team should have had Val but with Val out there was no one there to push the team into doing something interesting. Artem and Gleb as the most experienced pros? They were fucked. 

Yes, I made the same comment above.  I not only thought of Mark, Witney, and Emma.  I also thought of Britt who choreographs a lot of the group pro dances for tour.  It didn't help that Val wasn't there.  Artem is a great pro for teaching proper ballroom technique.  But he's in the mold of Tony, Maks, etc. that go for more traditional choreography.  This earns extra points from Len during pair dances.  However, when it comes to team dances, it helps to have creative cross trained dancers like Derek, Mark, Witney, and Britt.  Derek especially is a master at looking at the whole production, formation, costumes, and overall cohesiveness of a team dance.

47 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I find the voting power of Vinny oddly interesting. Because this isn't the first time the show's had a Jersey Shore cast member on and neither outstayed their welcome this long. The Situation was quickly dispatched and Snooki was actually not a bad dancer and endeared herself to the viewers but still left mid-season. Actually, if I remember correctly, she was voted out during Halloween Week. So it's odd that Vinny, despite his consistently low scores, seems to have a rabid voter base that keeps him entirely out of the Bottom 2. 

Yes, Snooki went out during Halloween because I remembered she was still in costume during last good byes.  Previously, I also made the comment that the Situation was gone quickly and Snooki was gone in top 8.  Although, if you can believe it, I thought the Situation was worse than Vinny and stiff as a board. I did think that Snooki was a decent dancer though which Vinny isn't.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Although, if you can believe it, I thought the Situation was worse than Vinny and stiff as a board.

Oh I believe it because I watched it. The Situation was awful, no question. But that's what surprising to me about Vinny's staying power. Because The Situation was quickly and fairly dispatched of because he was awful. Yet, Vinny continues to live to dance badly another day. And you can't even say it's the power of his Pro because they gave him a new Pro, who I very much doubt came with some huge built-in fanbase. It's just amusingly interesting to me.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Oh I believe it because I watched it. The Situation was awful, no question. But that's what surprising to me about Vinny's staying power. Because The Situation was quickly and fairly dispatched of because he was awful. Yet, Vinny continues to live to dance badly another day. And you can't even say it's the power of his Pro because they gave him a new Pro, who I very much doubt came with some huge built-in fanbase. It's just amusingly interesting to me.

I think it part of the rise of Influencers and reality stars.  Trista was on season 1 and was voted out first.  Kim K barely lasted in an early season…but can you imagine if she was on now?   She could come out and stand there and still win. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Does Vinny have a large following on social media? I thought Snooky was the popular one on that show, but she didn't last long even though she was pretty good. Speaking of social media, Charli's following is so huge only one percent of her followers could vote and she would still win by a landslide. How do you beat that?

• Mind Blown 1
36 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Speaking of social media, Charli's following is so huge only one percent of her followers could vote and she would still win by a landslide. How do you beat that?

This part really bothers me about this show.  You can vote without even seeing people dance. Hell, I think a lot of people that vote don't even watch the show.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, marykat71702 said:

This part really bothers me about this show.  You can vote without even seeing people dance. Hell, I think a lot of people that vote don't even watch the show.

I think that's what happened when Bobby Bones won.  Some big name singers asked their fans to vote for him and they probably didn't watch the show.  I know that it happens with other celebrities on the show so that's just one example.

• Like 2
On 10/31/2022 at 8:08 PM, Melonie77 said:

When the bottom two were revealed I wasn't sure who I hoped would leave....I really like Jordan a lot more than Heidi, but Heidi's dances are better. And I like Artem a lot. He is a much better pro than Brandon.

I totally agree. It pains me to say it, but I do think Heidi is a better overall dancer than Jordin, but she seems absolutely joyless, and Jordin is the exact opposite. But I've thought all season Jordin would be better with a different pro. Bummed that it came to this since the obvious worst didn't even make it into the bottom two......

The only thing that makes me not furious about Vinny is that if it does turn into a Bobby Bones situation, how funny would it be to have him beat their golden girl Charli?

My favorites were Trevor and Shangela. I cannot believe how much better Trevor has gotten over the last few weeks! Was it perfect, no, but the music, costumes and choreography were great, and he was good enough to sell all of it. Loved it. Same with Shangela. That last lift and head twist was awesome. Maybe Gleb should always dance with drag queens. It's his best work on this show ever.

I am still rooting for Wayne, but that was not great. It looked more like a freestyle than contemporary.

I like Alan more than Val, and I think Gabby did great with him. I liked Daniel's Paso too, but I fear he's next on the chopping block if Vinny escapes the bottom again.......

• Like 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

I think that's what happened when Bobby Bones won.  Some big name singers asked their fans to vote for him and they probably didn't watch the show.  I know that it happens with other celebrities on the show so that's just one example.

This year the show even encourages voting before the dancing has finished!
It used to be such a perk to dance last when there was enough time given to vote. Now it's a drawback to be the final performer.

I think for future seasons they need to find yet another way of beating this potential Vinnie-type problem with mindless voting by people trying to make a statement, or by those who have huge voting blocks yet do not even watch the show.
As much as I don't always agree with the judges' scores I would rather see their points count a lot more than the audience votes....especially now that they've moved to streaming. I really think they have a lot less people voting overall since the move to Disney. If a group takes up a cause then they are going to succeed against a lack of interest in voting overall.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

The only thing that makes me not furious about Vinny is that if it does turn into a Bobby Bones situation, how funny would it be to have him beat their golden girl Charli?

That would be funny and I too would get a kick out of it! But the only thing is it could really finally destroy the show if another bad dancer won through mindless marathon voting. The Bobby Bones thing really hurt this show and firing Tom Bergeron and replacing him with the worst host imaginable who also appears to be bulletproof had just about killed it. Now moving it to streaming is another big issue for many people.
I really enjoy this show and hope it doesn't get killed off.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

This year the show even encourages voting before the dancing has finished!

Hasn't there been voting during the show for several seasons now?

I think for future seasons they need to find yet another way of beating this potential Vinnie-type problem with mindless voting by people trying to make a statement, or by those who have huge voting blocks yet do not even watch the show.

If that kind of voting is happening with anyone it's Charli.

29 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

As much as I don't always agree with the judges' scores I would rather see their points count a lot more than the audience votes....especially now that they've moved to streaming. I really think they have a lot less people voting overall since the move to Disney. If a group takes up a cause then they are going to succeed against a lack of interest in voting overall.

Perhaps the way to fix this is to just have the live audience in the studio vote, much like Masked Singer, and continue to let the judges pick who actually goes home.

• Useful 1
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

Hasn't there been voting during the show for several seasons now?

If that kind of voting is happening with anyone it's Charli.

I don't remember it being so rushed like it is this year. In the past they may have allowed voting during the show but the votes did not count until the following week so you could chose to wait until you saw all the dances. Now they are using our votes for that very night's elimination so they close out the voting early - immediately after the last dance. That doesn't give you time to consider that last dance. And there are no commercials to do your voting while the show is breaking - so I'm finding myself voting for everyone I like whether I have seen them dance that night or not before the last dance or two has taken place.
And if you rewind any parts during the show you really have to watch you don't miss the cut-off time.

My suggestion for having the judges votes count more than the peoples' votes was meant as something the show would be transparent with by providing an explanation of the percentages/how much weight each side would provide at the beginning of the season.

I think I vaguely remember they already did something like this years ago but perhaps they may need to turn up the value of the judges' votes even further.

• Love 1

Unpopular opinion: I rather Vinny win than either of the D'Amelios. 

He's not very good but at least he's trying. And though he's a reality star, that's far more legit than being a social media influencer and social media influencer's mom. I agree, he should've went home already, and I would hate to see anyone else leave before him (aside from the non-star D'Amelios). 

I do think Wayne will make it to the final and hopefully him being a legit star can get the votes needed to overcome the ringer.

ETA: It makes no sense that Len's vote is the deciding/tie breaking vote. In the event of a tie, it should come down to which dancer received the most votes. At least that would be more fair and would cut out the judges playing favorites. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

And though he's a reality star, that's far more legit than being a social media influencer

I always thought reality stars and social media iinfluencers were similar. Being famous for having no talent. But maybe I'm getting too old to tell the difference. lol

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/1/2022 at 8:09 AM, Lady Calypso said:

That, and with how the make-up team went all out with each couple this season for their dance, they essentially left no time for many of them to get out of their costume and into another one. So it would look real funny for them to be in matching costumes but then see Brandon, Heidi, Shangela, Gleb, etc. be in their original make-up.

Some more thoughts regarding this year's Halloween team dances and the sub-par performance and presentations...

During the earlier part of the night, I began to wonder how they were going to get the make-up off the dancers/pros AND get them changed into their team-dance costumes in time. They have always managed to do this in the past but I didn't see anyone disappearing from the sky box to take care of this.

When they did not change for the team dance at first I thought there was not enough time due a lack of commercials - but they could have easily inserted a guest performance or had the troupe dance to allow for extra time to change outfits. Or could there have been too much time wasted on Tyra's inane blabbering or Alphonso's too extensive sky box questions and banter?

I also remember from years past whenever there was a team dance, the order the cast danced in the line-up was based on what team they were on and whether that team went first or second. 

Another thought regarding the lack of time excuse which I suppose they would also use to explain away this year's absence of any props, adequate lighting or decent stage presentations.....didn't ABC sometimes pre-tape certain special dances in advance in order to give them enough time to set up the stage/props and costume the dancers properly? Why couldn't they do that this year?

It also seems that the teams did not have enough time to work on the dances. The performances I linked to on the last page and below show how much thought went into not only a unified visual theme with costumes, props and lighting but also dance steps that incorporated some group hip-hop and contemporary synchronized movements along with individual couple sections. I'm sure COVID had something to do with the loss of time but I don't quite understand how it was possible in other years to find the time for great team dances and not this year 

We were told how moving to a streaming channel would offer many benefits. We are now paying to see the show.
Yet the Halloween team dances were so far below the standard of previous years, in my opinion they would have been better off not doing them at all.

Here are another pair of Halloween team dances from the past - Season 19 from 2014. All of the pros involved in these two dances are present for this year's show.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

It would be totally hilarious if he beat both Disney darlings Charli and Gabby. LMAO

40 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Perhaps the way to fix this is to just have the live audience in the studio vote, much like Masked Singer, and continue to let the judges pick who actually goes home.

I think it would take the fun out of the show if the judges decided who won. I mean, I don't care for Vinnie, but if he wins, so be it.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I think it would take the fun out of the show if the judges decided who won. I mean, I don't care for Vinnie, but if he wins, so be it.

Perhaps the finale could be open to a public vote and they could do a two night extravaganza like the old days. Honestly, I don't know why they can't bring back the results show like they used to have, especially now that it airs on D+ - it's not like the results show is taking a prime time slot since it's on demand.

• Love 3
(edited)

Since I always hope someone from the show peeks in here as well as on social media to see what fans think, I'm going to continue on with my critique of the current program as it now presents on Disney...

Another example of how the Disney version of the show falls well below status compared to ABC's version is the lack of any Halloween opening number. This can't be all due to COVID. Could it be that Tyra's ramblings, strutting and posing takes up that much time that we are losing parts of the show? I noticed she had to have a grand entrance last night.

Here is the opening we got last night...I thought this little sequence would break into a dance routine but it did NOT. This was the entire opening act! The show then moved into Tyra's time-sucking entrance.

Now compare that with this fabulous wonderfully produced Halloween opening number from 2019 (watch for 2 funny cameos from Len and Tom Bergeron):

You're not fooling us Disney! Now that we are paying for this show we want more for our money not less!

Edited by Melonie77
  • Applause 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

I'm hoping that none of them win - Vinnie or the TikTok ladies. But I'm not sure who I would prefer if it had to be one of the two. I really don't like Charli coming on the show as basically a professional dancer but I do not like Vinnie's attitude and I always vote for the dancing as well as who I like. I think Vinnie believes he deserves an abundance of mindless votes because he sees himself as the underdog. Yet the judges told him a couple of weeks ago that he needed to spend more time practicing.

57 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

It would be totally hilarious if he beat both Disney darlings Charli and Gabby. LMAO

I don't think the judges should decide who wins. I just think maybe their vote should count as a higher percentage to combat dumb Bristol Palin type block voting from those who aren't even watching the show.

I too would laugh if Vinnie beat out the tiktockers but not if he sends home anyone else. I would find that disappointing. I don't think Gabby is a Disney darling. She has been hindered by shady events a couple of times now.

If Vinnie wins it will really hurt the show the way Bobby Bones' win did. DWTS has only been renewed for two seasons on Disney. I can see a Vinnie-win on top of the streaming move and the lower quality production killing the show.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

He's not very good but at least he's trying. And though he's a reality star, that's far more legit than being a social media influencer and social media influencer's mom. I agree, he should've went home already, and I would hate to see anyone else leave before him (aside from the non-star D'Amelios). 

Wow I totally would HATE for Vinnie to stay over anyone, including Charli and Heidi.  I like to be entertained. This buffoon does not entertain me in the least. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I'm shaking my head at Drek saying he "likes more punch", then gives her a 10.

Omg at this Derek typo 🤭

I like Derek a lot more now since becoming a judge. As a pro I was sick of him and would have loved calling him "Drek." 

I've given in to the Charli inevitability. Her foxtrot also impressed the heck out of me. I am enjoying just seeing them dance and hope they get finals, but don't win. And an Emmy win for Mark would be awesome!

Vinnie is an OK personality but should have gone 3 episodes ago. I hate watching them. I find their choreo, themes, sets, makeup, and wardrobe lame too. I'm not sure about Koko yet.

I hope the next 2 eliminated are Vinnie and Daniel. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

My suggestion for having the judges votes count more than the peoples' votes was meant as something the show would be transparent with by providing an explanation of the percentages/how much weight each side would provide at the beginning of the season.

This reminded me that I've been wondering how exactly the vote total calculating works. Is it like a ranking system so whoever has the highest score gets like 8 points and then the lowest gets 1 and then they do the same for the audience votes and then add the 2?

15 hours ago, funnygirl said:

It makes no sense that Len's vote is the deciding/tie breaking vote. In the event of a tie, it should come down to which dancer received the most votes. At least that would be more fair and would cut out the judges playing favorites. 

This! Especially since Len is the judge that most plays favorites with his scoring imo. But just in general, this is a far better way to do it.

40 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This reminded me that I've been wondering how exactly the vote total calculating works. Is it like a ranking system so whoever has the highest score gets like 8 points and then the lowest gets 1 and then they do the same for the audience votes and then add the 2?

This! Especially since Len is the judge that most plays favorites with his scoring imo. But just in general, this is a far better way to do it.

The show should really explain to viewers exactly how the voting works.
As I mentioned above I think I remember that sometime ago (before the Bobby Bones incident) that a change was made to allow the judges votes to weigh more heavily than the viewers. This may have been done around the time there was a problem with groups "voting for the worst" just to mess with the show. Maybe someone else will recall more accurately if there was an announced change in how votes were tabulated as I have only been watching since the season Jennifer Grey won. I think that was the same season the Bristol Palin thing happened. 

There will always be ringers, and some of them I've really liked, because they brought personality along with their talent. Charli, for all her social media fame, is so incredibly blah. She is technically a lovely dancer. She has beautiful lines. But I feel nothing when she dances. There is no chemistry between Mark and her. Same with her mom. She has such a foul look on her face all the time. Yes, she's technically competent, but I feel nothing when she dances. Her stink face during her time in the bottom 2 v. Jordin's beaming face -- that is the difference right there. I'd take 10 Jordins over 1 Heidi. Jordin may not be as technically good as Heidi, but she brought personality and performance to the floor. Something Heidi completely lacks. I wish Jordin had a different pro. Brandon is meh for me. 

I don't know who I'd like to win, but definitely not Charli, Heidi or Vinny. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 11/1/2022 at 6:38 PM, Lady Calypso said:

However, seeing as the show dropped the showmance angle REAL FAST (and they did; they stopped talking about Tremma as a couple after that horridly offensive week 2 when it's all they talked about), it probably WAS uncomfortable for Sasha and probably for Emma too. They really haven't talked about Trevor/Emma in a romantic/sexual sense since, so thank god for that. That was terrible of the show to do week 2, especially when most were unaware of the Sasha/Emma separation.

I totally agree! I think the show stopped the showmance bit after week 2.  I also think there was never anything between Emma and Trevor at all and that the producers/editors created that whole storyline all on their own. When their was an outcry from viewers over doing this with the Sasha and Emma situation, the producers dropped it like a hot potato!
I noticed that Sasha pulled scary Halloween pranks on Trevor and Emma this week just like everyone else so I'm sure everything is fine.

• Love 1

I still think Emma and Trevor are hooking up, although the producers did cool down the romance/showmance angle because of the backlash regarding Sasha, who may or may not be okay with it. I can't think of any other reason they are bending over backwards to keep boring Trevor around. They conveniently manage to give him a showdown with Vinny which he can't lose. Of course, it's just a theory and I have no proof of any of this LOL.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

I still think Emma and Trevor are hooking up, although the producers did cool down the romance/showmance angle because of the backlash regarding Sasha, who may or may not be okay with it. I can't think of any other reason they are bending over backwards to keep boring Trevor around. They conveniently manage to give him a showdown with Vinny which he can't lose. Of course, it's just a theory and I have no proof of any of this LOL.

For me, I've enjoyed seeing Trevor's growth the last three weeks. Yes, he's grown in the last few weeks, enough where I personally would not mind seeing him get farther. He probably won't for much longer, but people love a growth story, and Trevor embodies that better than anyone. At least, he has shown the most obvious growth. That's why he's being kept around (that, and he went against JJD for his second time in the bottom, and you could tell the judges were itching to get rid of her). 

Honestly, I'd rather see someone like Trevor get farther, someone who started with no experience and poor dancing and grew over the weeks, over someone like Charli, who is very static and consistent which leaves her to not grow at all, or Vinny, who may have a positive attitude when things go well but has not grown one bit.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I politely disagree - they wouldn't keep them around for a showmance that isn't manifesting itself. As @Lady Calypso has said Trevor's journey and his steady improvement is what the show likes to see. He and Emma have a good partnership and are fun to watch. He started out seemingly afraid to dance and now he's truly enjoying it. He's got a great storyline, works hard, and is a nice looking guy!😍

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

I politely disagree - they wouldn't keep them around for a showmance that isn't manifesting itself. As @Lady Calypso has said Trevor's journey and his steady improvement is what the show likes to see. He and Emma have a good partnership and are fun to watch. He started out seemingly afraid to dance and now he's truly enjoying it. He's got a great storyline, works hard, and is a nice looking guy!😍

I don't find them fun to watch, but different strokes for different folks :-D

I would definitely prefer to see him win over Vinny though.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I would definitely prefer to see him win over Vinny though.

Yes! He is the better dancer and has a better attitude when critiqued.

I'd like to see Vinnie go next, then Heidi.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's why he's being kept around (that, and he went against JJD for his second time in the bottom, and you could tell the judges were itching to get rid of her). 

They why did they give her the dance marathon win?! That will never make sense to me. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

They why did they give her the dance marathon win?! That will never make sense to me. 

No idea, maybe it was producers who wanted her to win. I think the marathon was rigged, anyway, so producers wanted her to stay that week.

15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Agree.  The guy has shown very little in terms of dancing so why not stand around and lift Emma and then fall seductively on a table? Okay, I laughed out loud at the stupid choreography.  He's a snore fest. There is next to no growth in terms of dance technique.  DWTS official twitter re-tweeted his asinine tweet - eww-which says nothing about dancing, just about being her bedroom boy - tell me again that the show is tamping down the hook up?  The producers don't care about growth they care about viewers watching, and this kind of salacious junk gets people to watch.  He will probably go farther than he should because the show knows the demographic are suckers for this crap, personally I'd rather see the end of him sooner rather than later.  But of course, he gets paired with Vinny for the Relay.  I would rather he got paired next to Wayne and then we'd really see if Trevor's Samba improved. Because if Trevor was so good getting such a high score, he should be paired next to someone of his supposed massively improved dance ability, not the weakest dancer left. Talk about a set up. My guess is they are doing what they can to carry this dead weight as far as they can, so Emma has a partner to host the tour. 

Trevor Donovan on Twitter: "18th-century aristocrat Barbie and her Valet de Chambre. #dwts #tremma https://t.co/stYss7UloV" / Twitter  

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, White Dog said:

Agree.  The guy has shown very little in terms of dancing so why not stand around and lift Emma and then fall seductively on a table? Okay, I laughed out loud at the stupid choreography.  He's a snore fest. There is next to no growth in terms of dance technique.  DWTS official twitter re-tweeted his asinine tweet - eww-which says nothing about dancing, just about being her bedroom boy - tell me again that the show is tamping down the hook up?  The producers don't care about growth they care about viewers watching, and this kind of salacious junk gets people to watch.  He will probably go farther than he should because the show knows the demographic are suckers for this crap, personally I'd rather see the end of him sooner rather than later.  But of course, he gets paired with Vinny for the Relay.  I would rather he got paired next to Wayne and then we'd really see if Trevor's Samba improved. Because if Trevor was so good getting such a high score, he should be paired next to someone of his supposed massively improved dance ability, not the weakest dancer left. Talk about a set up. My guess is they are doing what they can to carry this dead weight as far as they can, so Emma has a partner to host the tour. 

Trevor Donovan on Twitter: "18th-century aristocrat Barbie and her Valet de Chambre. #dwts #tremma https://t.co/stYss7UloV" / Twitter  

Yeah, he isn't exactly denying that they are an item, and they are definitely riding the Barbie and Ken crap as much as they can. I give Sasha kudos for keeping his mouth shut. I hope this annoying pair is on the next train out, but I doubt it. You are right, if he improved so much then he should have been up against Shangela, who had a breakthrough last week.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1

Umm how come Gabby got 10s when clearly her routine had mistakes. Her frame was not right. The footwork was not neat and she seemed uncomfortable.  The judges scoring is not consistent  

I am happy for Trevor. He is a good dancer, but never got the deserved scores.

Wayne has had 2 bad weeks. I am worried for him for the 90s night. Again a wrong song that does not match a salsa. 

• Sad 1
On 11/1/2022 at 7:11 AM, White Dog said:

So I watched Charli Shangela and Wayne because they really are the only ones I’m interested in.

I won’t vote for Charli on principle, but man that choreo was so damn good, probably one of the best Argentine Tangos with the Halloween theme. When Derek says he likes the more intense tango I much prefer what Mark does with how an Argentine style is different than ballroom Tango. The back bend  exorcist walk was just so Incredibly unexpected creepy and perfect for the atmosphere. I love how Mark issues her abilities in such creative ways.Could we have seen a little more erotica? Yes but she’s 18 and I know the pros try not to go too far when they are younger. 

Shangela finally got her perfect score and it was because it was a fairly simple dance, it could have been more intricate but Gleb doesn’t have the background in Jazz so simple sells well. Honestly I enjoy their rehearsal packages more than the dancing. 

Wayne did well enough but his partner isn’t  very creative and that’s what was wrong with the routine.. I wished he had Daniella for a partner because her choreography is so much better than the repetition in Witneys hip hop, and she definitely would have done so much more with the Halloween theme music. 
Too bad Jordan left over Heidi, the woman is now a 2 time bottom- seems to be the killer of first timers in the bottom first Joseph now Jordan. 

who the hell is still voting for douche Vinny?  

I totally agree with you on Whitney's choreography.  You see less of the actual dance style. That's what bothers me and wish she would stick with the actual dance style and technique. Unfortunately Wayne has got another wrong song for the 90s night- 'Motown phily' to which they will be doing a salsa?? I want to see how they can pull that off.

5 hours ago, Milakaren said:

Unfortunately Wayne has got another wrong song for the 90s night- 'Motown phily' to which they will be doing a salsa?? I want to see how they can pull that off.

Disagree. Wayne got a perfect score for  a Samba to Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock's It Takes Two. It wasn’t Samba music by a long shot. A hip hop to Samba is much more difficult to pull off than a hip hop tune to an easy Salsa 4 count imho.  If they didn’t penalize them for the hip hop Samba they would be pretty inconsistent to go after them on the Salsa.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:41 PM, White Dog said:

Yes the team dances were performed  with their original costumes. I thought everything would have been better with  more of a team look.  I think the COVID protocols came into play here, especially with yet another pro testing positive-they all had less rehearsal time and they probably had to forego the larger production numbers. 

Late reply, but I suspect the simplest explanation for no group costumes would be budget cuts. It was rumored that moving to Disney+ would entail a smaller production budget, including reduced pros' salaries. Not sure whether that was ever confirmed, however.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:42 PM, Ilovepie said:

This is how Alexis became the first SYTYCD ballroom winner.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:43 PM, Melonie77 said:

I don't remember it being so rushed like it is this year. In the past they may have allowed voting during the show but the votes did not count until the following week so you could chose to wait until you saw all the dances. Now they are using our votes for that very night's elimination so they close out the voting early - immediately after the last dance. That doesn't give you time to consider that last dance. And there are no commercials to do your voting while the show is breaking - so I'm finding myself voting for everyone I like whether I have seen them dance that night or not before the last dance or two has taken place.
And if you rewind any parts during the show you really have to watch you don't miss the cut-off time.

The current system of voting during the live show--to determine that night's elimination--was implemented by the previous showrunner. The past 2(?) seasons, West Coast viewers were upset that the voting window would close before the show even aired on their local ABC stations. They either had to vote blind, or not vote at all. At least now, West Coast viewers can live stream Disney+ during the voting window, which is probably why Conrad Green opted not to revert to the older system. Agreed that voting feels rushed now, but that's due to the lack of commercials, imho.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, peachmangosteen said:

It's based on percentage. The percentage of judges score is added to the percentage of viewer votes. e.g. If dancer A receives 20% of the judges' scoring points and 30% of the viewer votes, then their tally is 50. If dancer B receives 10% of the judges' points and 15% of the viewer vote, then their tally is 25. The higher tally is the better result.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, jackjill89 said:

I wish Jordin had a different pro. Brandon is meh for me. 

Brandon has an "old soul" personality, imho. I've enjoyed his partnerships with stars like Mary Wilson and Kenya Moore, because their energies match better. Jordin still has a youthful energy, and a winning personality as evidenced by her AI title. Although Brandon is a little younger, this was a mismatch imho. Don't know why they dropped Keo, but he might have matched Jordin's personality better. Of the current tall pros, only Alan (or maybe a reformed Gleb?) brings younger energy, although Ezra from the troupe might become an option for youthful tall stars.

• Useful 2