Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Cave

Bort
  • Start Topic

Gavin enlists his grandfather's help to guide him to his missing wife. Eve and Levi navigate a horrifying new reality. In 1988, Josh and Riley discover they're being followed by a man who reveals information about the mystery behind the sinkholes.

Airdate 4 October 2022

• Mind Blown 1

I guess helping this sinkhole dude is the reason Josh and Riley will be in 1988 for awhile. But they don't know that much. They could tell him everything they know in an hour and then jump in the sinkhole.

I thought everyone was way to accepting of these 40 year olds showing up all, "I'm the little kid you saw YESTERDAY. I came back from the future." 

Man, Gavin jumps in a sinkhole to 10,000 BC for Eve and she kisses his best friend? Enslaved in a cave is one awkward place to have a love triangle.

I do like that some of the other abductees are also from the La Brea sinkhole. It makes sense that not everyone would have made it to the same clearing and some people got caught.

I missed Scott. I can't believe they didn't show us anything that happened in that building. 

• Like 5

So the new folks are the Exiles. Maybe the ones after will be the Wayouts.

We get scenes of Eve’s and Levi’s affair. Was that his family at the airbase? 

Wolfsnack and Pre-Med find conspiracy guy who thinks they know more than they are letting on. Yeah, the non 1988 clothes might help. He has been keeping track of the sinkholes and can predict a new one four days out. Uh, figure out where, fill a bus or a bunch of cars with gas and supplies, and send ‘em down.

Gavin’s grandpa left him hanging to be a bear’s dinner, and then drugged him so he would get captured by the Exiles and not just sneak in with a handy map to get out. Grandpa’s plan is mysterious and the viewer hopes it comes together. Poor Gavin has to see his wife and friend. Awkward.

Ella comes back and she isn’t wanted. Yeah, aging 20 years does that. Daughter gets her prosthetic fixed.

Scott comes back with a tale for…. Next week?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Wolfsnack and Pre-Med find conspiracy guy who thinks they know more than they are letting on. Yeah, the non 1988 clothes might help. He has been keeping track of the sinkholes and can predict a new one four days out. Uh, figure out where, fill a bus or a bunch of cars with gas and supplies, and send ‘em down.

The new one was going to be in the ocean, causing a tidal wave. Weren't some of the people from the other village from a sink hole in the ocean? I would think it is connected, except a sinkhole never caused a tidal wave in Santa Monica. 

Josh and Riley should get him to give them supplies in exchange for telling him the little they do know. Then they should jump and get back to their families....they can't do much to help this guy who is way smarter than them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Does Jack Martin, who plays Josh, know that we call him Wolfsnack? 
It seems he might be amused by it.

I kind of hated this episode because it was all so depressing and hopeless and had way too much violence and double-crossing.

What are the odds that the mineral being mined by The Others is what causes the sinkholes to open?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

More mysteries and few answers.  Ugh.  Nice of Silas to just dump Gavin to be found but the Others, er Exiles who are enslaving people to build a runway I mean mine for mysterious rocks.  Just give him the stupid map and run off.  How many of those slaves are from present day LA that they could organize a successful revolt?  I wonder if those rocks have anything to do with that mysterious building.  Why did stoner guy have to come back at the end of the episode and he looks to tell everyone what he saw, just tell us already.  

About that 1988 Geologist guy, yeah it’s creepy that he was stalking Riley and Josh like he was.  I would have just kept my distance, trying to lose the guy.  I wonder if they’ll tell the guy they fell in to a sinkhole in 2021 LA, went through a portal to get to 1988 LA and now he should ditch all the sinkhole research to buy Apple stock 😆   Instead we get a lot of drama about potential sinkholes.  Is this to send more people down to help Eve and Levi with their revolt, lol.  

Edited by Cobb Salad

Ugh. This show is just trying way too hard to be Lost. I don't understand why or how I'm supposed to be invested in this subplot with "The Exiles" when it's all a big mystery and we don't know who they are, where they came from, or what they want. And you can't ask them because the just smack you. It's all so dumb. Does the show really need this?

Same goes for Silas and his cryptic "I can't tell you what you want to know or why I'm doing anything I'm doing" ass. This is not compelling TV, it's just frustrating and irritating. The show thinks it's baiting and hooking me but it's just pissing me off. That's one thing I liked about Wayward Pines, when some character started talking in riddles Matt Dillon just pulled out his gun and shot him.

Honestly, they've got time travel and mastodons and all kinds of prehistoric creatures, do we really need all this mystery bullshit? Sam tells Gavin "some people" took Eve and Levi and Gavin doesn't immediately go "What people?"

This guy in 1988 says he's the head of geology at some university, obviously a paid expert in his field, but . . . nobody believes him? Why not? Is he that bad at it? If this so-called expert comes along and says he can predict when the next sinkhole will open up you'd think somebody would listen to him.

This show is dumb.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

So Eve being Eve urges Levi to fight off a bunch of Exile brutes who are kicking the crap out of the chef from LA, and Levi, of course, dives into the middle of it to get the crap beat out of himself, but not before he punches one of the brutes, and then:

• [Brutish Exile Guy] You're gonna pay for that. Take him.
  • [Eve] No, wait! Wait! No! Where are you taking him? Where are you taking him? Levi!

A little later, Eve is chilling in a cave with a door when the brutish Exiles dump Levi in with her. 
He's "okay." Seriously. No broken bones. No man parts chopped off. Got all his teeth. Nose straight. 
He's literally okay except for a little scrape that Eve tenderly dabs with her hanky or whatever.
And Eve, who is irresistible to Gavin and Levi, who are both hunky guys, apparently is in no way attractive to the Brutes. Lucky Eve.

I am glad there was hardly any gratuitous violence. 
But none of this makes sense.

And. Of course. They all speak American English.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

OK I have never beem to LA.  but seriously whats with everyone wearing heavyish coats ? Eve has a sweater and a shearling jacket, her daughter has a hip length DOWN parka FFS. It doesn't look that cold. 

I gotta admit my eyes are starting to glaze over at the all the time shifting characters, I can't keep track of them all. 

Edited by Msample
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Msample said:

OK I have never beem to LA.  but seriously whats with everyone wearing heavyish coats ? Eve has a sweater and a shearling jacket, her daughter has a hip length DOWN parka FFS. It doesn't look that cold. 

I gotta admit my eyes are starting to glaze over at the all the time shiting character, I can't keep track of them all. 

They got the warm clothing from the wardrobe trailer that conveniently went down sink hole last season and landed with no obvious damage 😆😆😆

Yeah, they’re presenting too much mystery here and not enough answers.  I hope it starts to clear up soon so people don’t give up and stop watching.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobb Salad said:

Yeah, they’re presenting too much mystery here and not enough answers.  I hope it starts to clear up soon so people don’t give up and stop watching.  

It's already too much of characters being cryptic and intentionally withholding information for no reason, other than to keep the mystery for the audience. 

Probably why we've gotten so little of our favourite stoner, Scott. He's appeared in three minutes for both episode, 5 seconds being just this episode.

I'd call 1988 Guy the Conspiracy Dude, but his theories aren't exactly conspiracies, are they? But of course Pre-Med is the one noticing that he's following them as Wolf Snack is, as usual, totally oblivious and convinced that he's not. Wolf Snack, your only useful thing you've done all series is open a door, sit down.

Otherwise, I have zero idea how they're gonna convince people in LA that there's a tidal wave coming. "Hi, we're from the future after we got stuck in the past and we think you should listen to this guy who claims a tidal wave is coming!" But I can't wait to see how they try.

So, Princess Peach and Pilot Pete get their own flashbacks to the affair, bringing them together in Prehistoric La Brea time, just as Psychic Dad shows up at the Exiles' camp! Also, how useless were these two? Continuously being told to get to work and both chose to stand around and gawk and get other people in trouble.

So, I thought Psychic Dad was related to Old McSilas, but I guess not? Boo, that means the Josh-is-Silas theory won't be super, super creepy! I guess that's not a bad thing.

Meanwhile, Mad-Eye Moody (my new nickname for Izzy until she does something monumentally stupid that warrants a different nickname) gets her prosthetic fixed by Dr. Seal, who...still is basically doing nothing. And Stockholm gets upset by her Abusive Sister, who...yeah I guess still exists.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How about the red-headed professor being Eve and Levi's son?

In 1988?  Only if he’s another time traveler from either the future or from 10,000BC.  Which is possible on this show 

I mentioned Silas ( or his son) because they might have been alive in 1988 in their natural time line.  I believe Silas is from the present era and  kidnapped Isiah and yanked him into the year 10,000BC in a misguided  attempt to ‘protect’  him from his parents.  

1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

I mentioned Silas ( or his son) because they might have been alive in 1988 in their natural time line.  I believe Silas is from the present era and  kidnapped Isiah and yanked him into the year 10,000BC in a misguided  attempt to ‘protect’  him from his parents.  

He recognized Rebecca (and she recognized him) when she was working to get Isaiah to the light to get to 1988 so what you’re saying makes sense.  Then there’s Silas’ comments to Gavin hinting his parents are still around, add that to the list of mysteries this show is presenting and the it’ll probably take forever before we know the answers about that.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

I never knew bears were so easy to kill. Not sure why people think they're scary. Just poke 'em in the back with a 6-inch knife & boom! 1 dead bear

Just like last week's wild boar killed with one throw of a not very sharp spear.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm not ready to stop watching since there's nothing else on but there's just so much shit being added. Now we have the Exiles? And they run a mining camp where they mine.... what, dilithium? gold pressed latinum? And there's the giant fancy tower and tunnels galore everywhere and Levi and Wasshername the Lead and Gavin have a triangle and Black Psychologist Who BTW Was Dying Of A Brain Tumor has a thing for The Shaman Lady and Lily and Veronica are weirded out and there's still Confederacy Gold Loot... and what?

Polar bears? The Black Pearl? Jesus wandering by to let everyone know he's decided to let us all go to hell because these idiots have ruined humanity for the rest of us?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 10/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, Cobb Salad said:

About that 1988 Geologist guy, yeah it’s creepy that he was stalking Riley and Josh like he was.  I would have just kept my distance, trying to lose the guy.  I wonder if they’ll tell the guy they fell in to a sinkhole in 2021 LA, went through a portal to get to 1988 LA and now he should ditch all the sinkhole research to buy Apple stock 😆   Instead we get a lot of drama about potential sinkholes.  Is this to send more people down to help Eve and Levi with their revolt, lol.  

One thing they don't seem to have any recognition of the whole butterfly effect of disturbing anything and changing the past.  They were smart enough last week to know not to mess with their dad but they should have a little more reserve about telling someone from the past something they may not be supposed to be privy to.

Also something that has been gnawing at me.  Apple was doing pretty well in 1988.  It was on the verge of bankruptcy nearly 10 years later in 1997.  Now if you kept your stock another 10, 20, years yeah.  That would rock.  But if you sold it say January 1st 1997 I'm not sure you would have made much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, iMonrey said:

Same goes for Silas and his cryptic "I can't tell you what you want to know or why I'm doing anything I'm doing" ass. This is not compelling TV, it's just frustrating and irritating. The show thinks it's baiting and hooking me but it's just pissing me off. That's one thing I liked about Wayward Pines, when some character started talking in riddles Matt Dillon just pulled out his gun and shot him.

Yep, extremely annoying.  Gavin should have killed Silas on general principle.  The show is not smart enough to take itself this seriously.  It should have gone into goofy fun territory.

I really, really can't stand the Levi/Evie/Gavin triangle.  Boring!  And the way Levi and Evie need to talk about their relationship while in the midst of various life threatening dramas is ridiculous.  Blech.

So Dimwits from the Future but are now in the 80s don't tell 80s Professor Dude that they're from the future with no memory of said ocean sinkhole?  I know, timey wimey and all that.   Dimwits need something to do, i guess.

On 10/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:

never knew bears were so easy to kill. Not sure why people think they're scary. Just poke 'em in the back with a 6-inch knife & boom! 1 dead bear

I did LOL at this while watching.   No reason for anyone to be scared of any of the sinkhole living creatures now!

I also laughed at Dr. Seal telling Izzie she can help plant crops or whatever and she's all "Nah, I'll just stay here and sit on my ass! Thanks though!"

I'll give it a couple more eps but I was looking for dumb fun.  Right now the show is just dumb with not enough fun.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, raven said:

I really, really can't stand the Levi/Evie/Gavin triangle.  Boring!  And the way Levi and Evie need to talk about their relationship while in the midst of various life threatening dramas is ridiculous.  Blech.

So Dimwits from the Future but are now in the 80s don't tell 80s Professor Dude that they're from the future with no memory of said ocean sinkhole?  I know, timey wimey and all that.   Dimwits need something to do, i guess.

I'll give it a couple more eps but I was looking for dumb fun.  Right now the show is just dumb with not enough fun.

About Levi/Eve/Gavin, they showed us scenes of what we were told last season, more time wasted on a rehash of something we already knew.  Just tell us something new already.  I’m bored by it too.

I was waiting for Riley and Josh to tell the 80s Geologist guy they’re from the future, went down a sinkhole, etc. but I was disappointed.  What could happen? He’s found a couple of people who believe his theories, it’s not like he’s going to have them committed for saying such crazy stuff while he’s pushing theories he says no one else is buying.  

I’ll probably stick with it for a while longer however I’m sure with how bad this show is enough people will give up and it’ll be cancelled before we get any meaningful explanations about what’s going on.  

On 10/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, Cobb Salad said:

More mysteries and few answers

That is the reason for the show to exist. They are writing all kinds of weird and impossible, and they will answer all the questons in the same fashion, with explanations that will not make sense at all. But seriously, with this show, I don't care. I don't care about the stories as much as I am having fun watching this crappy show 

On 10/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

And. Of course. They all speak American English.

More: they all speak modern American english, with expressions of daily life. What caught my attention was, assuming that Silas and Gavin/Isiah are part of that era (I might be wrong), when Gavin is telling gramps that he grew up like a child of that time, went to college...Silas didn't stop him to ask "what is college"? After that I was rolling my eyes too hard that it blocked my hearing so I am not sure what else was said

That little knife on the bear would be like an annoying paper cut on a human's finger. But the big bear died immediately 🙄

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, circumvent said:

More: they all speak modern American english, with expressions of daily life. What caught my attention was, assuming that Silas and Gavin/Isiah are part of that era (I might be wrong), when Gavin is telling gramps that he grew up like a child of that time, went to college...Silas didn't stop him to ask "what is college"? After that I was rolling my eyes too hard that it blocked my hearing so I am not sure what else was said

Heh. Great example.
But I haven't ruled out that Silas is an older version of Gavin. 
I don't recall for sure, but I don't think this show has ruled out having 2 versions of a person in the same timeline (which is a staple of most time travel stories). 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

when Gavin is telling gramps that he grew up like a child of that time, went to college...Silas didn't stop him to ask "what is college"?

I have to be honest, I have always assumed Silas was some sort of future scientist. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Took me a few days to get motivated to watch this episode.  I thought it was relatively engaging, which is weird since I find myself completely uncurious about all the mysteries they are trying to bait us with.  I can't get myself to care less about what the Exiles are mining, or what Scott saw, or who Silas is.  I'm trying to figure out what drug this show is pumping through the TV screen that still makes me mildly entertained by it.

The reunion scene with "Everyone!  It's Eve's husband.  He's Isiah!" was so unintentionally hilarious.  As said above, everyone was like oh ok, that's not weird at all!

Dr. Seal was so on edge last episode, and now, he's all dandy?  I actually liked his scenes with Izzy, though.

If they don't trust Silas, why don't they go ask the village people?  Surely they know where the Exiles are.  But nooooooo, we need to have Gavin take Silas, who totally won't escape.

I guess Silas was confident the Exiles won't just murder Gavin in there?   Does he carry all his maps around with him?

Wolf Snack really is dumber than a door knob.  What a great idea to sneak past and outrun all these cops up the steep hillside in broad daylight.  At least Riley seems to have a brain.  So did the huge tidal wave in Santa Monica not happen because of Wolf Snack and Pre-Med help?  It's not like they know anything specific that could help anyone to stop a sinkhole event.

I'm glad Eve and Fighter pilot guy's idiotic plan to get the fellow captives to rebel didn't happen.  It sure looked like the guards outnumbered them, and even if that wasn't the case, the guards have weapons and are in good physical shape.  If there had been an escape, of course Virgil and the redshirts would have been the ones to die.  Oh, what nice guards to put those two in a private room!   Now how will these brilliant writers conspire to have Gavin enter that room next episode right when they are having sex?

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1

I love how Eve was all “my dad cheated and it destroyed our family, this would never work…” - okay, but that didn’t stop *you* from cheating in the first place?   And continuing to cheat!  

I’m presuming that the show went with The Exiles because calling them The Others would make it too obvious a Lost rip-off.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2