Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: TV Theme Night

• Start Topic

This was perfect, I loved the open, I loved the costumes, I loved Jenny with dark hair, I loved that Nicole redeemed herself from that mess last week. 

I loved the songs - I knew all of them, and theme songs are designed to be catchy, memorable and easy to sing along with. I loved that it sort of leveled the playing field among the contestants - even the ones who aren't singers had the chance to do well. Loved seeing the Brady Boys, I ignore Tori Spelling always so I pretend she was someone else, as a matter of habit. 

Even the costumes seemed more like previous seasons than basic ones like Hedgehog. This may be my favorite episode of the whole series so far. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Jenny looked great with dark hair. 

That opening was inspired--very cute. And to have Robin sing it was perfect. 

Took me a minute to get why Nick's favourite show was All My Children. Ha! 

Edited by Lilac2000
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Hated it!! This isn’t AI or the Voice, so having a theme was stupid. MS is supposed to be about recognizing a voice, and/or trying to guess who's singing.  As soon as the “mummies” walked out, it was a no-brainer. I didn’t need ANY clues. I just knew by the body types and a matter of deduction. Besides, what other 3 males (that could sing) would it be? Then once the clues were revealed, it was anticlimactic. Not a fan of themes for MS…and wound up fast-forwarding the remainder of the show. The only thing (person) I enjoyed seeing was Gloria Loring, period.

Edited by Soapy Goddess

I like the new format, but I think they should have 4 people performing. They did on the premiere so I don’t know why they couldn’t do it each episode (maybe they can’t get enough people to participate).

I hope they don’t keep doing theme nights, though.

• Like 1

It definitely seems like they've swung more towards "just put on a show that makes you feel good" and away from the competition aspect this season. Probably because of all the bad vibes last season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

For the first time ever I guessed the singers before they even sang.  The clues were enough to know it was the Brady bros.  

I just don't care for Harp.  Yes she is a good singer.  But I find her kind of boring.  We all knew she was moving on.  The show wanted her to move on.  

• Love 1

While I appreciated hearing the iconic theme songs, I didn't think any of them were right fits for this competition.  They just aren't designed to showcase a singer's voice.  "The Monkees", "Movin on Up", even the Harp singing "Thank You For Being a Friend" were all boring to listen to.  The "Full House" song was a poor choice for the singoff, the Fortune Teller didn't stand a chance and I appreciated at least that Harp added her own take on it to make her sound great.

Best singing of the night was by Robin Thicke singing "As Long As We've Got Each Other".  I grew up watching all those 80s sitcoms with my family and hearing that song instantly took me back to that nostalgic time.  Growing Pains, Family Ties, Cheers, The Golden Girls, Who's the Boss, etc.  I teared up a little seeing the picture of Alan Thicke.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I long ago gave up on the notion that this is any kind of legit competition, and started judging it solely on how it entertained me. It's gotten more obvious each season that the "results" are decided ahead of time, based on performer schedule and availability. This format just leans into that. This episode entertained me greatly, though I would have loved the Good Times, Three's Company, Cheers, and Facts of Life songs as well. Maybe if they do this theme next season I'll get my wish.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

For the first time ever I guessed the singers before they even sang.  The clues were enough to know it was the Brady bros.  

I just don't care for Harp.  Yes she is a good singer.  But I find her kind of boring.  We all knew she was moving on.  The show wanted her to move on.  

IMO She's probably already picked to be the winner. Don't care for her singing style (JMHO). 

• Love 1

Harp is my favorite type of singer. I cry tears of joy when she sings. I can't control it. I feel like she has the voice of angels (growing up in a Black church could be the reason). But I also *love* Amber Riley as a person. She won her season of DWTS, and I voted every week. Which was not something I did before or after.

Sometimes it's so nice to know the younger generation can have powerhouse Diva singers like Boomers and Gen X have!

Amber also has—thus far—been spared from the many Glee "curses" and I wish her the best after all the gleeks have been through.

Also, I'm a softie, but I cried when I saw Jodie sitting there while Amber sang the Full House theme. I really really loved Bob Saget. When they thought Ken was fake crying, I was like "it's not fake!!! We're sad!"

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Harp is a strong singer, but her costume keeps her immobile which does mean she has to rely on her voice and less on dancing and that can make her less entertaining compared to more mobile singers. 

I suspect the next few rounds we'll see the strong singer in the second and third rounds just to "shake things up" and show it isn't just the first one who gets through. 

• Love 1
On 10/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, Stats Queen said:

I hope they don’t keep doing theme nights, though.

I saw a promo earlier while I was eating dinner that said this upcoming weeks theme was 

Spoiler

Andrew Lloyd Webber 

night. I don’t know if that technically needed a spoiler tag since they’re airing promos saying it, just trying to be cautious if people want to be surprised on Wed night. 

• Useful 1
On 10/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, Bookworm13 said:

I saw a promo earlier while I was eating dinner that said this upcoming weeks theme was 

Reveal spoiler

Andrew Lloyd Webber 

night. I don’t know if that technically needed a spoiler tag since they’re airing promos saying it, just trying to be cautious if people want to be surprised on Wed night. 

For the record, if it appears in a promo, we don't count it as a spoiler.

• Useful 1

I am glad it'll be a new group of contestants next week.    It was getting boring knowing that the Harp was going through regardless.   I wonder if they'll have three finalists or four.   I'm guessing 4 so that'll be 12 episodes total and then maybe two more episodes for the finale & then  another two filler episodes that can be fast forwarded through sprinkled in for a total of 16. 

Loved this episode!  As a girl from the 70’s, I could certainly relate.  The Monkees and Brady Bunch boys! Omg………right up my line!  I’ll watch this one again this weekend!  I find this show so entertaining.  

• Love 1