Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Social Life

• Start Topic

From FYI:

Our three couples take the next step and attempt to merge their new marriages with their old social lives. Some friends and families are more accepting than others. Dr. Pepper Schwartz visits all three couples to see who is really making the effort to integrate their worlds versus who is still keeping their distance. Monet wants Vaughn to hang out with her girlfriends. Doug invites his parents over for dinner so his mother, who is skeptical of Jamie, can start to get to know her better. Jason goes to one of Cortney's burlesque performances, and Cortney goes to one of Jason's wrestling matches. Jamie's tough past comes back to haunt her as she takes husband, Doug, to visit the trailer park she grew up in.

This episode was kinda meh for me.

I'm getting tired of Doug's slacker look.  He's supposedly a "software salesman" but he doesn't look like he'd be presentable to potential customers, what with the scruff and that "can't make up its mind" hairstyle of his.  Maybe he does stuff in the office and his brother and sister actually meet people.  I'm just waiting for those damn false eyelashes of Jamie's to fall off while she's fluttering them at him.

Jamie looks a lot like the sister who talked the most, except she hasn't got false eyelashes.

Courtney is going to meet Jason's mom, and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to meet her family before the five weeks are up.  Fingers still crossed for these two.

Vaughn and Monet cooked together and he wants to spread organic honey on her ass.  Got it.

• Love 2

Well we got the first casting call commercial for MAFS part Deux. Will the normal cast of famewhores come out to play?

I actually hope all these couples make it. If Vaughn could get over himself enough to actually notice that Monet is beautiful and a fairly loving and giving woman he could do a lot worse. Jason and Cortney are adorable and Doug is kind of like big old faithful and lovable St. Bernard.

Edited by Arienne

I find Jamie to be an insincere phony. She's always "on," playing some kind of part. However, I believe Doug is as authentic as they come. His easy grace playing with the kids was genuine to me, not a show for the camera. These two are a match made in hell.

And Vaughn should just admit he didn't care for Monet' s look in a swimsuit during their honeymoon. Yes, he said he wanted curves, just not Monet' s particular body type. She's good enough for five weeks of sex but not good enough for Vaughn' s standards of the supermodel he probably believes he deserves. It really doesn't matter to him what she says, does, agrees to, or compromises with him. Vaughn' s mind was made up by the honeymoon trip.

Tonight was the first time I wondered about the genuineness of both Cortney and Jason. I think they're both decent people but not ready for a life together.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 5

Vaughn and Monet cooked together and he wants to spread organic honey on her ass. Got it.

Organic. Organic honey to lick off of someone. Vaughn has very specific tastes.

I don't know about you, but any more than a few licks of honey is enough. Spreading it all over someone doesn't seem very sexy at all.

I don't know about you, but any more than a few licks of honey is enough. Spreading it all over someone doesn't seem very sexy at all.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.  I like honey in my tea, but not on my body.

Actually, I think Vaughn was just blowing smoke.  I don't believe he wants to lick anything off Monet's body.  Like sleekandchic said, he's just using up his five weeks.  Might as well have sex to pass the time.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

This week every single couple looked shaky... and the previews did not look good for Jamie and Doug.

Doug and Jamie have been my favorite couple but, because of her issues, now I feel like she's just waiting for him to fail her so she can reject him. I'm not sure why. Maybe she wants to reject him before he rejects her. I think deep down she may have some real issues with shame and feeling unworthy, so she is convinced he will inevitably reject her.

She just keeps testing him and testing him, and has so many "non-negotiables". She can't be with a man who is in debt and doesn't have his life together (aka a schmuck). She can't be with a man who doesn't accept her family and her past. I couldn't quite make out everything she said in the preview, but she said something about him being really immature and that she couldn't be married to a man like that.

Newsflash, Jamie, if you're going to spend your life with a man, there will be times when he lets you down and disappoints you. If she's going to have a successful relationship with Doug, or any may, she needs to accept that. She's gushed so many times about how great Doug has been about accepting her quirks and issues, but is she willing to accept his shortfalls? The good in Doug seems to so far outweigh any shortcomings; for her sake I hope she realizes that.

I've honestly believe now that Doug may be Jamie's only shot at a successful relationship. I'm not sure she's going to find anyone else who will be so patient with her and willing to work through her issues. On the other hand, if things don't work out between them, I think Doug will have a long line of women waiting to grab him.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 5

Doug and Jamie have been my favorite couple but, because of her issues, now I feel like she's just waiting for him to fail her so she can reject him.

I've really been rooting for them as a couple, but this episode really turned me off of her.  I found Jamie really frustrating in this episode, and from the previews, things don't look like they go any better next week.  Viewing her in the best possible light, I think she wants all the perks of being in a relationship (minus the sex) without having any of the messy emotional stuff.  She wants to be petted and admired and emotionally propped-up without having to give anything in return.  Granted, Doug seems low on personal drama and angst and might not require as much hand-holding, but I haven't seen her do one supportive, comforting thing for him in return.  I don't recall her voluntarily paying him a compliment or doing one kindness for him.  If she has, I missed it between her judging his appearance, judging his job, judging his life choices.   She called him a monster.  When he told her he had lost his job and went into debt, she didn't console him and tell him how hard that must've been, she called him a schmuck.  Because it's all about her emotional needs and overcoming her issues, and not the other way around.  At. All.  Gah.

I feel like she has put up so many dealbreaking hurdles he's had to jump over -- her dog, her schedule, her trust issues -- and he has done all of them successfully with patience, understanding, and good humor.  Now she's running out reasons to dump him, and she's panicking.  My head was spinning from the mixed messages.  Doug needs to be understanding of my trailer park past!  Doug can never be understanding enough of my trailer park past!  Doug needs to be there for me!  Doug needs to leave me alone!  

I thought it was rich in the previews where she accused Doug of not being ready to be a husband because (presumably) he dresses like a frat boy and doesn't make as much money as she does.  Funny, because I can think of few people less ready to be a wife than Jamie Otis.  I get that she has issues that keep you from letting your guard down, but then don't marry someone you've never met.  Don't do something that basically requires you to let your guard down almost immediately and then blame the other person for failing you in the relationship.  

Run away, Doug, run away.

• Love 13

For a while there, I had high hopes for Jamie and Doug, but they were dashed when she told her sister that she did not want her children calling him uncle. I think that signified that to her this is a temporary situation. I found it rather odd that after three weeks, Jason still hadn’t told Courtney his mother’s name and even more bizarre that she hadn’t asked. I would dearly like to know what those two talk about. Vaughn is just biding his time.

• Love 8

Last night's episode was so drab for me. I couldn't figure out how the eff Monet and Vaughn got from Point A to B in a blink of an eye. I do like that he tried at the brunch but it looks like next week things are back to the same ole.

I too am curious about what Cortney and Jason talk about. Why doesn't she know his mother's name yet? I get that he's guarded but seriously?

Speaking of guarded, Jaime better hope that Doug wants to stick around forever because I just can't see another man being THAT patient with her. I do love that her dog was on his mom's lap during their visit.

• Love 2

GREAT write-up Tara and Brian! Brian, I'd love to hear more on your theory about single women and dogs.

I think the only viable couple is Jason and Courtney. Jamie and Vaughn are there for TV time and exposure. Wait...Jamie is FOURTY YEARS OLD??? She looks great for 40...not that 40 is old. If she really is that age and she truly wants love...then yeah, she needs to stick it out with Doug. She's had plenty of time to do better and it hasn't happened and god knows, she could do much worse.

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 1

The thing that bothers me about this show is the editing monkeys.  I think that a lot of the talking heads are spliced to create the drama that the producers want.  I'm going by the outfits that the couples are wearing.  For example, last night Monet was in a dark-colored outfit in the beginning, then towards the end of the show she was in the same outfit.

• Love 3

I don't mind Jamie that much tbh. I know I would be a total wreck if I came from where she came from and didn't even know who my father was. But Doug is such an understanding and easygoing guy, she really needs to hang on to him! No, he won't fully understand her past, but neither will anyone else, who hasn't grown up in a trailer with drug addicts. And she wants the opposite of that, so she's just gonna have to deal with it. She has her family who has been through the same supporting her. I'm sure most handsome and rich successful men would understand her even less or actively judge her. Or at least their families would. Doug and his family are great and not snobby at all. She needs to realize how lucky she is. Doug may not be a career focused person, but he said he's always had a job or several, so it's not like he's a lazy bum just because he's not making loads of money right now. She's definitely the one doing all the judging in that relationship. I also agree that she's gonna have a tough time finding something better with all her quirks and baggage. But I don't think she's a bad person, so I really do want them to work out.

Jason seems to be holding back so much. I'm wondering if he expected it to not work out, and now that he actually likes Cortney he's realising that he may be stuck with her forever and it's freaking him out. I don't think he knew what he was signing up for. I felt so bad for Cortney saying she cries all the time now. It would be pretty awful if she never got to meet Jason's mom. If they stay married that is.

It's nice to see Monet and Vaughn getting along a bit better simply because I'm sick of listening to them argue. I still don't see a future for them though. They're still brushing their problems under the carpet. I never feel like Vaughn is being sincere when he's talking to the camera.

• Love 3

Try show, try to sell this as real. I'm still not convinced that the majority aren't looking for some tv time. Not that I care, I'm watching it as entertainment, but the serious tone of all the experts is laughable.

Vaughn seems to talk a different game in his talking heads than he does with the experts. I agree with many of you that he appears to just be marking time & having sex. Honey, specifically sticky honey sounds sexy? That sounds like a mess to me & a massive sugar overload. I think the only reason they haven't strangled each other is because that aren't around one another too much. I found it funny that he made a point of home-cooked meal Sundays being the goal after the cooking demo. I wonder if Monet was hearing a voice inside her head reminding her that in a few more weeks it'll be Vaughn free Sunday brunches all the time.

Poor little Courtney & Jason. Their wrestling & burlesque performances were sad. The club Courtney was at looked like it held 20 people but only 10 showed up & Jason's high school gym only needed to pull out one stack of bleachers. I do think the no mom name thing is weird. If I'd thought about it I would've paid attention & seen if the scene/outfit showed that comment at an earlier time & it's all editing, but I don't care enough to go back & look.

I know Doug seems patient & kind but something about him is beginning to rub me the wrong way. I don't feel he's all that genuine, almost like he's a character more than himself. He's seems very aware that he's on camera. On a shallow note, the flop sweat is hard to see all the time as well. I agree that when Jamie said the kids didn't need to call him Uncle Doug it was a sign. In fact I think Doug should have seen it as a large, flashing countdown sign she carries with her always.

FYI MaFS educational tidbit of the week:

In-law stuff be hard y'all! In case you didn't know (and who did?!) the Wikipedia-lite research team from this show wants us to know integrating families isn't always easy peasy. It can be a challenge. Oh no! You're kidding me. I wish I'd known that before I got married. Why didn't anyone ever tell me that? Why isn't this common knowledge? It would've saved me so much trouble when my ex-in-laws were cruel & belittling. If only I'd been prepared it would've made all the difference I'm sure. I should compile all the amazing information this show is giving out like treasured pearls of unheard wisdom into a pamphlet. We could pass it out to those considering marriage & cut the divorce rate in half with one small step. Thanks FYI & MaFS for your incredibly insightful & informative wisdom. Changing the world one heart-filled screen cut at a time.

• Love 7

AH so THAT'S why Vaughn's so stuck on the cooking thing. It didn't dong on me until this episode: his mother probably was going above and beyond trying to make up for the fact that his dad died, because that c word seems to come up a bit. Food probably is another way to say I care and I'll take care of you. She probably waited on him a lot.

This also made me think back to the casting special where they had another black woman they thought of pairing up with with him but ultimately chose Monet and said  that the other lady was "too religious" for him. If he was going to get his Sundays off and get home cooked meals (assuming she cooked,) I don't think he would have cared. He probably comes from a traditional and religious upbringing anyway. Still feel like they were put together for drama's sake.

Jamie is overdramatic. I don't think someone like Doug is really going to care that much about about you coming from, gasp, hard upbringings. Now it could be that she's being sincere but damn she acting like it was the end of the world to show him that. But then again, look at what she's said to Doug about his job and living at home, and so on. She's hella judgemental and has gotten on my nerves since the first episode.

I had to roll my eyes so many times at the experts talking their obvious drivel.

• Love 4

As cute as Courtney and Jason are, I had to laugh at their "hobbies."  She was sort of dancing around but I wouldn't really call it dancing, in her burlesque getup, and he was getting his butt slammed to the mat.   In both cases, the crowds looked pretty sparse.  But good for them if it relieves stress, I guess.

As nice as Doug appears to be, I have to honestly say that after a few weeks of seeing him in action, I wouldn't blame a woman for being leery of him.  It's not because of his looks because I think he's nice-looking.  It's because he gives off this air of being a slacker, and like a grown man who really does live in his parents' basement.  Jamie or no Jamie, he needs to clean himself up.

Does anyone know how many episodes are left?

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

Does anyone know how many episodes are left?

I'm pretty sure Jamie said on twitter way back when this all started that the last episode was September 9th so that would make for 3 more episodes.  But last weekend all six were flown out to LA for a reunion taping so that could extend the show's run another week.  Or its two more episodes with the reunion on September 9th.    I don't think FYI has anything official out yet.

Edited by CindyBee

I still think Jamie accidentally revealed that she had sex with Doug at some point due to last week's deleted tweet. Not that that would mean anything in and of itself.

Cortney and Jason could double their audience if they found a way to combine wrestling and burlesque.

Vaughn and Monet are hilariously dysfunctional. I couldn't care less how they do.

• Love 3

I have not watched Jamie on any other shows but I can't understand why she's on this show. It seems you need to be very open minded to let someone choose a partner for you. Seems she should at least be willing to give it a try instead of holding back so much. I understand her fears but I think you need to be sort of fearless taking on this show's idea. It's not as much fun watching someone be so closed minded. She's not very light hearted. Someone with deep issues should not apply for this.

• Love 4

You guys do realize that if none of these couples stay together, nobody's watching season 2 of this shit, right?

I'm expecting none of them to stay together & I'll have no problem watching a season two. Of course I'm a glutton for reality show punishment & may be slightly silly in my viewing habits. I don't see this as a social experiment or a way to meet a mate but as a show for my snark & entertainment. The show itself might find it's disappointed because it seems to want to believe it's real.
  • Love 3

Quite frankly I also don't get all the drama about Jamie's upbringing... the embarrassment/shame,  drama, etc. Your background is your background. Either people accept it or they don't. She's done well for herself, she beautiful, well-spoken, great job, etc. In fact, she could be looked upon as an inspiration... that one's background does not define them. SHE is the one who needs to work on accepting herself and her experiences. She actually seems to have a great life if she would only open her eyes to see that. Poverty, bad parenting, etc. are not an embarrassment or shameful... they are simply experiences that make us who we are. 

Yeah as someone else mentioned upthread, I also think that Monet is not quite what Vaughn was looking for physically. I think she's hella cute but he just doesn't seem that enthused about her physically like she is with him. I don't recall him complimenting her much in contrast to Jason and Doug who frequently talk about how good their wives look. 

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 7

Try show, try to sell this as real. I'm still not convinced that the majority aren't looking for some tv time. Not that I care, I'm watching it as entertainment, but the serious tone of all the experts is laughable.

I completely agree. From Jason not telling Cortney his mom's name, to Jamie telling her relatives not to call Doug uncle, to Vaughan's entire attitude...show, you've lost that reality feeling and it's gone, gone, gone, whoa-oh-oh-oh...

I maintain that Jason had no business going on this show if his mom is that sick. If she's not interested in participating, I don't blame her one bit. Same with Cortney's family. Hell, if my sister did something like this I'd have a hard time being on camera too.

I was trying hard to have some sympathy for Jamie ("Auntie Gorgeous"??) but her shame and embarrassment about her family and upbringings got to me after a while. I found myself wondering how often her siblings get to NYC and how she describes them to her friends. I also wondered what her siblings would think after seeing this show. Also, Jesus-Pete...that view from the deck!

Vaughan has officially worked my last nerve. I doubt even Sleeps-With-Bible woman would have been good enough for him.

Assuming any of these couples stick it out, I'm betting they won't last past Christmas, if that.

• Love 3

I watched the episode again, and it seems like the editors were trying really hard to make Jamie's family's living situation worse that it is, for at least some of them. They interviewed Jamie in front of the rather run-down trailer that her sister Leah (and a guy, not sure if her husband or brother) came out of when they first arrived. It was covered in a wood paneling, and the foundation was covered in a different wood paneling.

But that was not the same house as where they sat on the deck with the gorgeous view. That seemed to be her sister Johannah's house, which looked like a regular house to me or at least a very nice trailer home. It was painted tan, and it had a regular cement foundation. The house next door to it was definitely a house and not a trailer, and looked really nice. I also thought Johannah was as well-spoken, together and pretty as Jamie is, and it seemed like her kids were friendly and well behaved. Nothing came off as "redneck" about her to me.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 2

I wonder how Jamie's family felt, watching that episode and hearing her call them "rednecks" and basically trailer park trash.  Between that and basically calling Doug a monster, I think the woman has got some serious issues.  At this time, I think she needs therapy more than a husband.

• Love 10
I was trying hard to have some sympathy for Jamie ("Auntie Gorgeous"??) but her shame and embarrassment about her family and upbringings got to me after a while.

This, plus what everyone else said, plus SHUT UP ALREADY. She loves her sisters to death but is very ashamed of them. Bet that makes for pleasant holidays.

When did "trailer parks" become the depth of despair, anyway? My mostly-single-in-between-husbands alcoholic mother raised my sister and me in various low-rent apartments on welfare. I guess I have no soul because I never thought much about it as a kid and certainly don't dwell on it now. If you all want, I'll take you on a photo tour of the crappy places I've lived. There was even a manufactured house in there (which, btw, Jamie? Is what they're called these days.)

Cortney has seriously never sat Jason down and said, "I want to hear about your mom."? In their heads, they really are just dating.

And oh, honey. Dita Von Teese, Lili St. Cyr, Sally Rand, Gypsy, or even Robin Antin would have your head on a platter for calling what you did burlesque. But it's nice that you have fun with it.

• Love 2

You guys do realize that if none of these couples stay together, nobody's watching season 2 of this shit, right?

who says? I saw a commercial for casting and I could have sworn I read a season 2 being approved somewhere. I'd watch the stuff all over again.

Obviously, the "good one week, bad the next" relationship episodes are all editing monkeys. Vaughn and Monet have a lot of fights, but they may only consider it a small part of the relationship. 

As far as Jason's mother, I know that dying people 1)don't like meeting people 2)don't like being on camera and 3)don't want people knowing their business. I think there may be a meeting, but these reveals are probably just to satisfy the audience.

I'm not surprised at all about the Uncle Doug stuff from Jamie. Her history makes me think that every stepfather or paternity-failure guy was Uncle something-or-other. She'll likely have sex with Doug before she'll be comfortable with her nephew calling him Uncle.

The intro is still so weird to me. They've tried everything to find love? Monet's the oldest and she's what... 33? What is this "everything" that she's tried?

Was Monet washing a cabinet in that scene where she told Vaughn her friends were coming over? What?

Yeah, if Vaughn could have come home earlier and didn't, he loses the right to complain about Monet having a girl's night.

"Relationships are difficult. I think that it's important that it's not easy in a lot of ways because the commitment of a marriage and honoring that commitment requires a high level of intention and work." Just keep tap dancing, Cilona. Just keep tap dancing.

How long have they been married? How does Courtney not know the name of Jason's mom?

I don't know anything about Don't Tell Mama besides the fact that it's where Seth Rudetsky does his Broadway Chatterbox shows. It seems like an OK cabaret but not the best venue.

"I knew that I needed to show him who I am and show him my heart so he could open his heart to me." Burlesque! Oh, show. You know this is silly, too, don't you? There were a lot of quick cuts but that did not look like burlesque choreography. More like... community theatre Guys and Dolls. Lots of jazz hands.

"Grocery shopping can teach you a lot about someone..." I thought you were the "sexologist."

So, Doug's mom. Lady, I don't think you get to be skeptical about Jamie's motives when your son also agreed to sign up for this cockamamie show. That is, if you're going to be skeptical of her, you have to hold him to the same level of scrutiny. "He was ready?" How is that a good justification?

I find Jamie to be an insincere phony. She's always "on," playing some kind of part. However, I believe Doug is as authentic as they come. His easy grace playing with the kids was genuine to me, not a show for the camera. These two are a match made in hell.

I don't mind them because I find them both fake. I think he's faking at playing a nice guy. Not that he's a monster who kicks puppies but all the stuff about forcing physical intimacy and then backing down but constantly reminding her about it skeeves me out and then going overboard and bringing her flowers and things. It seems like a game. Like an act for the cameras. And since they've both decided to go that way, whatever. 

• Love 1

I agree that Jamie seems to have some issues beyond her trailer upbringing. Maybe I don't understand, because I was raised in a different environment, but I just don't see how being poor could warrant all that upset. As someone mentioned, she should be proud of what she's accomplished in building a better life for herself despite her difficult background. So yeah, I also think there may have been some type of abuse as the real underlying cause behind the overwhelming emotion.

On that note, I'm confused about the trailer they visited. She said it was the trailer she grew up in and it looked like it was still being lived in, but no one was there. I assume whoever lives there now wouldn't want her wandering through and she didn't mention her Mom still lived there, so I'm confused. Either I missed something or it's more show shenanigans. Doesn't really matter, just odd...

I think there are lots of cold feet forming, now that the novelty of the situation has worn off. IMO, the only players still in the game are Doug and Courtney. Everyone else has put this little dalliance into their "interesting life experiences" column and mentally moved on.

Edited by ElleBee

I wonder how Jamie's family felt, watching that episode and hearing her call them "rednecks" and basically trailer park trash.  Between that and basically calling Doug a monster, I think the woman has got some serious issues.  At this time, I think she needs therapy more than a husband.

If the experts are any kind of experts at all, they would suggest therapy for Jamie. She obviously grew up in an abusive home and carries around a lot of shame. She also has a lot of trust issues which therapy could help her with. I think she came on this show thinking it was another Bachelor type deal, but it's forced her to go a lot deeper because she cares about Doug.

It never makes sense to me when people say they don't know how to cook. If you can read, you can cook.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 4

Obviously, the "good one week, bad the next" relationship episodes are all editing monkeys. Vaughn and Monet have a lot of fights, but they may only consider it a small part of the relationship. 

As far as Jason's mother, I know that dying people 1)don't like meeting people 2)don't like being on camera and 3)don't want people knowing their business. I think there may be a meeting, but these reveals are probably just to satisfy the audience.

I'm not surprised at all about the Uncle Doug stuff from Jamie. Her history makes me think that every stepfather or paternity-failure guy was Uncle something-or-other. She'll likely have sex with Doug before she'll be comfortable with her nephew calling him Uncle.

I had never thought of this being a possible reason behind her opposition to the kids calling Doug, "Uncle."  Your theory makes good sense.

Yeah, if Vaughn could have come home earlier and didn't, he loses the right to complain about Monet having a girl's night.

Right; in last week's episode no mention was made of Monet having first tried to get him to return home earlier in the week. When this "little" detail came to light in this week's show it changed my perspective on who was really at fault, and it's not Monet.

As nice as Doug appears to be, I have to honestly say that after a few weeks of seeing him in action, I wouldn't blame a woman for being leery of him.  It's not because of his looks because I think he's nice-looking.  It's because he gives off this air of being a slacker, and like a grown man who really does live in his parents' basement.  Jamie or no Jamie, he needs to clean himself up.

Maybe, but I don't see it necessarily as a negative sign if - particularly in today's uncertain economy - a person continues to live "at home."

I won't begin my rant on that topic, though, since  I've never liked that "Oh, you still live at home?" phrase.  Isn't home where the heart is, or some such thing.  Or it could just as likely be under a bridge,  in a treetop, or in a Trailer!

My impression of Doug living with his parents differs totally to Jamie's initial reservations, as demonstrated by her profound lack of tact.  So every adult who resides with his or her parents for a spell appears to be a "schmuck?" 

Rather, I felt that Doug genuinely enjoys his family - I think we have all gleaned that impression as early as Episode 1~! - and his family likes his company as well.  It's a mutually agreeable arrangement, and for that I find Jamie's "schmuck" comment just too much.

Which leads me to another thought about Jamie.  I don't find that Doug is in need of a clean up so much as Jamie.  Her verbal filter is begging to be replaced.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday

I found it rather odd that after three weeks, Jason still hadn’t told Courtney his mother’s name and even more bizarre that she hadn’t asked. I would dearly like to know what those two talk about.

Organic honey? ;)

As I said, I find both Jamie and Doug fake. I still think she's not actually falling for him but instead deciding to play along because she signed a contract or because she likes being on TV. For whatever reason, she decided to commit to the show and this is the character/storyline she decided to go with after not initially being attracted to him. If I'm wrong, that's lovely. Anyway, with that in mind, no, I don't think she should settle on someone who doesn't make her happy and who she can't be in an equal relationship with. She doesn't need to "realize how lucky she is." I don't think she has unreasonable standards. It's not about finding the most handsome man in the world. It's about finding someone that you're attracted to. It's not about finding a billionaire entrepreneur. It's about finding someone whose goals and ambitions line up with yours. Granted, if that's what she's looking for, yes, it's unreasonable. But if she doesn't think Doug can make her happy then no, she shouldn't force it because he's been nice to her for the past few weeks.

The sad thing is... I think they are trying.

I should compile all the amazing information this show is giving out like treasured pearls of unheard wisdom into a pamphlet. We could pass it out to those considering marriage & cut the divorce rate in half with one small step.

That sounds like one of the pamphlets Emma would have given out on Glee. Appropriate as high school students are the only ones gullible and stupid enough to need/believe said pamphlets. 

"We really hashed it out in an non-accusational way. And honestly we had a great night. Probably one of our best nights we've ever had." He's talking about sex, right? 

The session with Dr. Pepper didn't seem to do much for Monet and Vaughn but the chef was a nice idea.

Ugh, can we stop acting like brunch is this special, magical thing that Monet invented. Brunch is somewhere below "family game night" on the list of meaningful social traditions.

"I think that their physical connection is strong enough and I'm hopeful that their emotional intimacy will grow exponentially from here on out." Based on what, Dr. Logan? It's not like you're growing a culture of bacteria. You can't just hope that their emotional intimacy will grow exponentially and will it into being. This isn't like keeping Tinkerbell alive.

Oh my God, his wrestling name is "Kross." That combined with the symbol Courtney drew makes him seem like a Christian rock band. I can't. He's fairly buff, particularly up top in the neck and shoulders but he looked tiny next to his opponents.

That coffee cup was ridiculous. I thought you were all kidding but no, that's larger than a small serving size of soup.

"Food is like sex. It's the only other activity that involves all five senses." Most things involve sight, touch, and hearing, and you can argue that smell is involved with everything even if you aren't actively sniffing things so taste is the only difficult one. I'm sure something other than food and sex involves taste. I'm too tired to figure it out now. Help, please? 

I was trying to figure out what they cooked... a strawberry salad with fish?

• Love 1

By the way, where did they go to visit Jamie's relatives. It was apparently within driving distance of New York but trees and mountains and nature look the same to me.

Do they feed them certain words? I feel like I could make a drinking game out of how many times someone has called Jason "guarded."

"I think being vulnerable is a huge part of marriage. And I want him to want me. And I want him to need me." Oh, Courtney. I would take you more seriously if you didn't almost quote Cheap Trick lyrics at me.

So there are two weeks left. Hmn. On the one hand, if you don't absolutely hate the person, I could see staying married until you realize it's not going to work out. So basically, like if you dating someone and living together. On the other hand, I don't know how difficult it is to obtain and divorce and I'm still suspicious about whether they paid for the apartments they (not counting Monet and Vaughn) are currently staying in so in that case, it'd be easier to just sign the papers that the MAFS producers have ready for them.

• Love 3

Rather, I felt that Doug genuinely enjoys his family - I think we have all gleaned that impression as early as Episode 1~! - and his family likes his company as well.  It's a mutually agreeable arrangement, and for that I find Jamie's "schmuck" comment just too much.

I have to admit one of my favorite relationships on this show is between Doug and his brother, Matt. I think they're so funny together. They seem to have a brother/best friend relationship which I think is really nice.

Married at First Sight really seems to be FYI's heavy hitter. Are any of you watching the other shows? I'm curious about B.O.R.N. to Style (mainly because I could go check out the store if I really wanted to) but I've seen enough styling shows to last me a lifetime.

• Love 1