Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E07: Week 7

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, phlebas said:

((ALL IMHO)) I may be in the smallest minority, but I like both of these ladies -- though I don't think they're great Bachelorettes.

Rachel seems really sweet. She does lead with her emotions, which send you over the top in stressful times. We've seen this time and again. On the plus side, she may get really high highs to set off the low lows. I don't think there's anything wrong with being like that, though I think she would do best with someone more even-keeled.

She's also not dumb or weak. There have been some times this season and last where she's shown some steel and a solid sense of humor. Only flashes, since that's not her role and she's not as extemporaneous as Gabby, but it's all there.

The problem is that this show is designed to make people like her go crazy.  Allow production to manipulate your emotions, and they will come at you like an energetic dog going at a new chew toy. Rachel is playing into their hands, and she's paying for it.

Gabby definitely has better defense mechanisms. She leads with a wicked sense of humor and lets her dingbat persona mask a sharp mind. We've seen what she's like when she's angry, and it's impressive.  

Unfortunately, Gabby seems to be burying some deep self-esteem issues. This is also irresistible to production. While they're not going to make her think she's ugly or dumb, they are tickling the "unworthy" button.

Of course, we're all assembling all our opinions from a heavily edited show. I might be totally off.

In both cases, they are coming off as messy leads, just like everyone else recently not named Tayshia. Despite that, I think they're both really good people. Watching Gabby interact with Erich's family showed a level of empathy that impressed me.

Unfortunately for them, I think their best match is each other. I don't think they'll go that way, but I can dream...

These last few episodes are going to be ugly. 

You may have already boarded a plane with Pilot Pete at the helm :)  You survived a pilot having to get his mom's approval to taxi, so there's nothing Rachel can do that you can't handle!

Or jake “on the wings of love “

• LOL 3
On 8/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Jillibean said:

I hesitate to even say anything here, but I feel like I have to defend Erich. I think it's a pretty complicated situation. As one of the many people who has experienced a parent with cancer, sometimes you just don't know because nobody knows and their best guess is "we really don't know" or "we'll try this and do a scan in three months and then we'll see." Although Erich did say the cancer was terminal, many times you will know that and still have no idea what about of time you are looking at--it could be years. And from what Erich said, this might not be the first time they've been told something similar only for things to turn around in a more positive way. I did not get the impression that Erich, or anyone in his family, really, thought that Allan had so little time left, but I DID get the impression that Erich's father is very much someone who believes in living life and seizing opportunities and that he likely would have encouraged Erich to pursue this and not wanted to be a reason he didn't. 

I think it was very clear from watching this hometown that Erich adores his dad and I'm sure every part of it what happened has been devastating to him. I don't know that questioning whether he should have been away to begin with is productive. 

Agreed. From the sound of it, the diagnosis has been dire for an extended period of time. Could have been years, so it's not like Erich could be holding a permanent vigil for years on end. And even though that's all true, I would bet that Erich is going to carry some measure of guilt with him for the time he spent away since it happened that his dad passed away in some close proximity to that, but he shouldn't. 

I just laughed when Rachel was explaining how she was able to get the men during dates (cancelled), cocktail parties (cancelled), and just spending time together (when?).  Both leads really don't know these final men.

Yeah, of all seasons, this one was the hardest to sell in terms of time spent with the contestants. They had 1 (2, maybe?) cocktail parties all season and multiple cancelled or missed opportunities thanks to Rachel's rollercoaster of emotions.

While Tino's family were mean to her, it was an interesting test and Rachel failed it with flying colors. She just had no response and got so defensive so quickly, she seems like the type who needs the path to be entirely smooth, she doesn't handle obstacles or surprises very well.

Lenny’s family from Meredith’s season and Desiree’s from Sean’s season would like to have a word. That visit is not  even in the top 20. Lol

I didn't see Meredith or Desiree's seasons, but I'd have to put Rachel Lindsay's visit to Dean's dad up there on the cringe list. I'm honestly not even sure why he agreed to appear, he didn't even really acknowledge the show or play along in any way.

I felt bad for Tyler but I can understand why Rachel didn't want to go through with meeting his family and lying to them. She has no poker face at all, all her emotions are clear at all times. There's no way she would have been able to fool his family and if that were my son or brother, I'd rather the girl didn't fake it and lie to us. I do hope production bought them dinner or something, though. Tyler is cute and will be a huge hit if he goes on Paradise

Yeah, at first I thought it was super rude of her not to just go and quietly release Tyler at the rose ceremony, but it is true that Rachel couldn't fake it if she tried. So being questioned about her future with him, etc when she already knew he was a goner would have been weird. And it'll probably work in Tyler's favor that he got the embarrassing public dismissal, that usually earns the contestant some public goodwill and brownie points for future appearances.

Although personally, I'd pick Tyler just because I love the Jersey shore and don't get there anymore despite living right over the border, so I loved all the background shots. "Watch the tram car, please..." was the music of my childhood, disappointing that the tram wasn't running. Rachel had the most phallic-looking corn dog I've ever seen, I'm shocked the camera didn't linger over the shot of her putting that in her mouth.

I think of all the hometowns, I actually like the Johnny/Gabby visit felt the most natural. And I appreciate the moments where you can see Gabby mocking the cheesy staples of the show, like the long montages of walking toward each other or dreamily wandering. Rachel was born for that kind of cheese, she was doing it on her own all through the Clayton season, but Gabby struggles with the cheese. And hardly ever did the Bachelor handshake. 

Speaking of the Bachelor handshake, I died laughing when Rachel did it with Zach, he hunkered down like he was calling his dog. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

@phlebas
I agree both girls are messy leads. But I do like Gabby and believe she is a good person. I think she may actually find a good match in Erich and hope it works out for them.
I'm not crazy about Rachel though and think she is too self-centered. I did however really feel for her when she was ambushed and attacked by Tino's vile father who appears to be an ugly man both inside and out. I don't know how she could choose this guy after that experience w/ his malicious father. Sometimes its true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I'm hoping she chooses Aven instead of Tino.
I don't think she is letting her mind do the picking for her though! As many others have said, she doesn't talk to the guys that much and would rather just kiss them.🤪

I did say I was a small minority :)

I'm impressed with how Rachel is still hot when she cries -- which is extra lucky in her case

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

While Tino's family were mean to her, it was an interesting test and Rachel failed it with flying colors. She just had no response and got so defensive so quickly, she seems like the type who needs the path to be entirely smooth, she doesn't handle obstacles or surprises very well.

No she doesn’t, which really doesn’t bode well for her career as a pilot or for her unfortunate passengers 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

On the first episode this season, they showed Rachel taxiing up to meet Gabby in a small prop plane.  They didn't show her actually flying the plane.  I assume it was for show.  I doubt that a plane that small has the range to go all the way from Florida to California.

I am under the impression that she flies and instructs on Cessna type planes. She has never mentioned flying jets.  She is a pilot, but she is not going to be flying for Delta anytime soon. Edited to add that there are height requirements for some pilot positions.  In the Navy, you have to be at least 5-4 to fly an airplane. There are probably similar things with some airlines.  A lot of airline pilots are very tall.

Just noticed your edit. Good point...You also have to pass the ASTB exam and have a higher IQ for the Navy. A lot of airlines prefer to hire ex military pilots. I can't picture Rachel landing a fighter jet on an aircraft carrier nor flying a huge commercial jet!
I think there is a shortage of pilots in the US right now but I hope Rachel sticks with the Cessna type planes. 
I wonder if she will even pursue her interest in flying after the show. One thing that always surprises me is the number of bachs/bachettes with good careers who end up not returning to them after the show ends. As we all know many end up trying to make money in entertainment or by influencing and I guess that may have been their reason for going on the show to begin with. I was especially surprised to hear that Michelle was not going to return to her teaching position.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

No she doesn’t, which really doesn’t bode well for her career as a pilot or for her unfortunate passengers 

Thats actually a really good point . Teaching and not flying is probably best for her !!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Thats actually a really good point . Teaching and not flying is probably best for her !!

Remember this show is heavily edited, not a psyche treatise :) She may be perfectly suited to fly planes, but the 40 minutes we see of her every week are deliberately curated to tell the type of story which this show is terrible at telling...

• Like 2
  • Love 7
On 8/22/2022 at 10:55 PM, Hpmec said:

No one has mentioned it, and maybe it's because many of those posting here are way younger than me, but Jason's mom looks a lot like an actress named Katherine Ross who had major roles in The Graduate and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid back in the 60's. 

Edited by debbie311
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, phlebas said:

((ALL IMHO)) I may be in the smallest minority, but I like both of these ladies -- though I don't think they're great Bachelorettes.

Rachel seems really sweet. She does lead with her emotions, which send you over the top in stressful times. We've seen this time and again. On the plus side, she may get really high highs to set off the low lows. I don't think there's anything wrong with being like that, though I think she would do best with someone more even-keeled.

She's also not dumb or weak. There have been some times this season and last where she's shown some steel and a solid sense of humor. Only flashes, since that's not her role and she's not as extemporaneous as Gabby, but it's all there.

The problem is that this show is designed to make people like her go crazy.  Allow production to manipulate your emotions, and they will come at you like an energetic dog going at a new chew toy. Rachel is playing into their hands, and she's paying for it.

Gabby definitely has better defense mechanisms. She leads with a wicked sense of humor and lets her dingbat persona mask a sharp mind. We've seen what she's like when she's angry, and it's impressive.  

Unfortunately, Gabby seems to be burying some deep self-esteem issues. This is also irresistible to production. While they're not going to make her think she's ugly or dumb, they are tickling the "unworthy" button.

Of course, we're all assembling all our opinions from a heavily edited show. I might be totally off.

In both cases, they are coming off as messy leads, just like everyone else recently not named Tayshia. Despite that, I think they're both really good people. Watching Gabby interact with Erich's family showed a level of empathy that impressed me.

Unfortunately for them, I think their best match is each other. I don't think they'll go that way, but I can dream...

These last few episodes are going to be ugly. 

You may have already boarded a plane with Pilot Pete at the helm :)  You survived a pilot having to get his mom's approval to taxi, so there's nothing Rachel can do that you can't handle!

I agree completely! I really like both girls, especially in interviews off-show. Rachel is very sweet and a lot funnier in interviews than the show's edit allows her to be. This show and the producers mess with people very badly. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, phlebas said:

Remember this show is heavily edited, not a psyche treatise :) She may be perfectly suited to fly planes, but the 40 minutes we see of her every week are deliberately curated to tell the type of story which this show is terrible at telling...

This is true, but the show has become so manipulative of the participants as well as the viewers that I think a lot of people have to find snark and humor in it to bother watching any more.
I'm sure there is only small amount of reality in these shows and the rest is all staged. I believe that not only is there a story created via editing but that the leads are often involved in staging certain parts.
I always get a kick out of how the producers present some of the Bachs. The jobs and/or identities that ABC credits some of the participants with are often preposterous. James AKA 'Meatball' was labeled a "Meatball Enthusiast" on their website! Other 'careers' are embellished. And as I mentioned above even some who do have good professions never go back to their careers after their time on the show ends. It seems like becoming part of bachelor nation becomes their career. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I really agree the show was terrible at telling any story this season. With 2 bachelorettes they must have had so much more footage filmed than what was shown and I don't understand why they didn't lengthen the season. I don't think they skimped on filming. Why didn't they plan to extend by a couple of weeks, have a couple of 3 hour episodes or add some additional Tuesday airings as they have done w/ BIP?
Reality Steve said he is aware of some filming they did for hometowns that was not used. Apparently Zach's father is a retired fire chief and they filmed at the local fire station yet never showed this portion. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, MadeleineElster said:

OK, I've only watched a season or two of this show-- someone needs to explain to me what the "bachelor handshake" is-- unless you can't do that because of what it is... Thanks!

It's a rather intimate form of greeting between the bach and bachette where the bachette  jumps into the arms of the guy and wraps her legs around his waist.🤣

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

It's a rather intimate form of greeting between the bach and bachette where the bachette  jumps into the arms of the guy and wraps her legs around his waist.🤣

Because nothing says romance as much as throwing your back out.

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

This is true, but the show has become so manipulative of the participants as well as the viewers that I think a lot of people have to find snark and humor in it to bother watching any more.

Oh totally.  I only watch it because I'm texting friends at the same time and we're laughing our butts off :)  

So when we argue over contestants, we're really arguing over our interpretations of some caricatures from these contestants.  We can bury that, but when we de-emphazies that part, we can all have fun with this nonsense.

Basically I'm just rooting for hot chix at this point :)  KENDALL WHERE ARE YOUUUUUU

• LOL 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Re my above posting, YES, I thought the same thing. She was also in the Original Stepford Wives movie.  AND, she is also married to Sam Elliot, in real life.

My sister said that Tino's father reminded her of someone from the original Star Trek series.
🤣I have to say that I agree:

329001329_1bachstartrektino.thumb.jpg.168ca359872f361085d526b76689574a.jpg

Edited by Melonie77
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

Because nothing says romance as much as throwing your back out.

Lol, that’s why Zach squatted down so hard when Rachel was approaching, it made him look like he was calling a golden retriever, but he was clearly readying himself to lift Rachel without hurting himself. 

• LOL 8
On 8/22/2022 at 9:04 PM, JenE4 said:

After all that Rachel and Tino tell each other they're falling in love with each other?!? Well, you better elope, because I have 0% doubt Tino's Dad is going to object to your wedding! It got to the point where the dad was obnoxious. Go ahead and tell your kid that you're worried about him rushing in, but there's no reason for them to be so cruel to Rachel to the extent that they laugh when she thanks them for being welcoming because they know they were the fuck not in the slightest bit.

I was impressed that Rachel handled it as well as she did. Her thanking them for "being so welcoming" and how she appreciated their "hard hitting questions" was the perfect response. It's the way I was taught to handle things like that; be sweet as pie while calling people out on their shit. It's a great way to get control of the situation and make people look like the assholes they are. For someone as emotional as Rachel can be, she held it together really, really well, Good for her. I hope Tino's parents feel like crap when they watch themselves on the show. I appreciate their skepticism, but there was no reason to be complete jerks. Dad was especially rude.

• Applause 2
  • Love 8
On 8/24/2022 at 1:53 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Rachel had the most phallic-looking corn dog I've ever seen, I'm shocked the camera didn't linger over the shot of her putting that in her mouth.

Not quite sure it didn't.  Look up "Standards and Practices."

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, queta said:

I hope Tino's parents feel like crap when they watch themselves on the show. I appreciate their skepticism, but there was no reason to be complete jerks. Dad was especially rude.

Apparently the Bachelorettes aren't allowed to say, "WAIT!  Look, I'm not taking him to the gallows; this isn't life or death.  We're not even getting MARRIED!  If he's my choice, it's merely an engagement--a time where we WILL get to know each other better. AND...not only is there no deadline, the percentage of these 'engagements' rarely end in marriage--with all due respect."  I added that last phrase because rarely does someone truly mean "respect" in these situations.

12 hours ago, queta said:

Dad was especially rude.

...with a snarky little smile on his face.

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, queta said:

I was impressed that Rachel handled it as well as she did. Her thanking them for "being so welcoming" and how she appreciated their "hard hitting questions" was the perfect response. It's the way I was taught to handle things like that; be sweet as pie while calling people out on their shit. It's a great way to get control of the situation and make people look like the assholes they are. For someone as emotional as Rachel can be, she held it together really, really well, Good for her. I hope Tino's parents feel like crap when they watch themselves on the show. I appreciate their skepticism, but there was no reason to be complete jerks. Dad was especially rude.

Rachel's response to Tino's parents really was perfect. She must have been surprised at the reception she got as well as hurt, yet she did hold it together by resorting to simple politeness. 

I think Tino's dad may have been somewhat embarrassed by his son's participation on the Bachelorette! While it aired he apparently posted about it on Facebook and called out a local radio personality for ridiculing the show and cast during the first episode. He wrote that the radio host didn't know anything about his son and that he should have done a little homework before "painting everyone with the same brush"! He included this link to a positive article from a local news site about his son's appearance on TV.

https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/community-news/santa-clarita-native-takes-first-impression-rose-in-season-22-bachelorette-premiere-424815

I just can't get over how Daddy Franco looks more like a relative of Vulcans Spock and Serak than he does Tino.🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 8/25/2022 at 8:53 PM, Melonie77 said:

My sister said that Tino's father reminded her of someone from the original Star Trek series.
🤣I have to say that I agree:

329001329_1bachstartrektino.thumb.jpg.168ca359872f361085d526b76689574a.jpg

We can clearly see Tino's dad wears a bad rug. But it looks to me like he has had some plastic surgery on his face. While he's at it he should address those steamer trunks under his eyes. 

• Sad 1
  • LOL 2
On 8/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, Melonie77 said:

Erich is a nice looking guy and seems nice too. We're finally seeing more of what he's all about. That's very sad about his father.

I agree with everyone about Rachel - she should have gone to meet Tyler's parents.

I disagree. It's a lot more cruel to show up, paste a smile on her face, and lie through her teeth.

• Love 1