Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Eight Episode Talk

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Stephen was downright giddy last night! He is a performer, and sometimes acts excited over things he doesn't really care about. But it's obvious when he's busting his buttons with happiness, and last night, the buttons were flying! He was barely able to control his glee during the monologue!

It was nice to see, after so many years of frustration. 

I enjoyed his reaction to the news, too :D. It was so fun to see him being able to report on something good for a change. 

I also enjoyed that story about Disney and DeSantis. That's absolutely hilarious and brilliant. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ahisma said:

Okay, the Ted Lasso cast pep talk was very cute!

We/I forget that Stephen is very much an excellent actor too.
He never broke character.
The "C word" bit was LOL. (C was for "Can't")

But watching this early this morning, I may have woken up my over 80-years old neighbors with my rarely loud laugh at the children's book reference:
https://youtu.be/-11iag36wFU?t=111
Just me?
(retired librarian who has read hundreds and hundreds of books to children and even illustrated one published children's book)

• Like 7

That was a really fun interview, indeed :D. I loved seeing Stephen get to geek out a bit, and the crew seem like a really cool bunch of people. 

Also, for some reason, the way Stephen yelled, "YEAH, KILL THE MOON!" in the monologue cracked me up :p. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, ahisma said:

“Three astronauts and one astronoot” 🤣

OMG.
I have a sister who moved to Canada in the 70s who sometimes uses terms I do not recognize, which irritates me, plus the way she says "pasta," with a flat A that would have gotten her admonished by our mom because it's like the Chicago suburban short A of the 60s.

Maybe Stephen or his writers have a close American-born friend or relative who irritates them too with their Canadianisms, because "astranoot" is not a thing: 
simple.wiktionary.org/wiki/File:en-ca-astronaut.ogg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I would have been terrified to pick up, hold, and bend over to put down puppies in that cocktail dress Jennifer was wearing! Had fingers crossed the whole time she wouldn’t have a wardrobe malfunction.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
39 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I would have been terrified to pick up, hold, and bend over to put down puppies in that cocktail dress Jennifer was wearing! Had fingers crossed the whole time she wouldn’t have a wardrobe malfunction.

I also had a "holy shit" moment!!!  I'm sure she didn't know what she would be doing when she got dressed!!??

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ahisma said:

I was thinking the same thing! I was like, "...that is not an outfit I think I'd be wearing when holding dogs, but okay..." :p. 

I've never seen "Alias", but I am familiar, of course, with Victor Garber, so I totally "awww"d at the photo of her and Victor sharing a hug. I can totally get her having difficulty not smiling around him, from what I've heard about Garber, it'd be very tough, indeed ;D. 

That puppy segment was a very welcome balm after the monologue, because between that "mutants" comment and the whole thing with Kid Rock, holy shit, seeing that much stupid all at once hurt my brain. 

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

"Xi's Got the Look". Fantastic XD. 

Also loved that story about the pencils whose anti-drug message was (literally) dulled as you kept sharpening them. That's hilarious. 

All true 

IMG_9265.jpeg

• LOL 13
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That pencil thing surprised me, because I don’t think I’ve ever seen pencils where the writing didn’t start with the eraser at the left.

Not to be pedantic (meaning I'm about to get pedantic), I just looked at a variety of writing instruments, Ticonderoga, Dixon and novelty pencils, Bic pens, Sharpie, highighters. They all seem to read from the pointy end, and I'm thinking it has something to do with most folks being right-handed.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, SG429 said:

Not to be pedantic (meaning I'm about to get pedantic), I just looked at a variety of writing instruments, Ticonderoga, Dixon and novelty pencils, Bic pens, Sharpie, highighters. They all seem to read from the pointy end, and I'm thinking it has something to do with most folks being right-handed.

You know what, after I made that earlier post, I started looking at the few pencils I still have laying around, and you're right - all but one start the writing at the pointy end.  I could swear in the past when we had pencils from businesses, teachers, etc., they were the opposite!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

You know what, after I made that earlier post, I started looking at the few pencils I still have laying around, and you're right - all but one start the writing at the pointy end.  I could swear in the past when we had pencils from businesses, teachers, etc., they were the opposite!

I have artists' pencils manufactured in both the UK and Germany with the brands and info going from the pointy end.
So I googled: 
     pencils custom advertising 
and saw the same.
But then I somewhat randomly googled: 
     pencils promotional messages left-to-right
and finally found these:

il_fullxfull.1826840287_1vvh.jpg

--with messages that seemed to give more thought to the effects of sharpening than the "Do Drugs" on the show last night.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Uh, a little advice, Stephen Colbert. Be more specific when you're describing the main headlines. What you should have said, last night in your opening monologue, was that the trial between Dominion and Fox News has been delayed 24 HOURS!!! You make it sound as if Dominion has settled with Rupert Murdoch's media outfit when, in fact, they clearly aren't!

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Uh, a little advice, Stephen Colbert. Be more specific when you're describing the main headlines. What you should have said, last night in your opening monologue, was that the trial between Dominion and Fox News has been delayed 24 HOURS!!! You make it sound as if Dominion has settled with Rupert Murdoch's media outfit when, in fact, they clearly aren't!

Well they did today, but I don't think Stephen was prescient!

Edited by lookeyloo
  • Useful 1

I laughed more than I probably should've at the "Meanwhile" joke from the other night about the kid who got stuck in one of those machines where you can get toys and stuffed animals and all that: "His parents tried to get him out, but they ran out of quarters." :D. 

• LOL 6

Stephen is in trouble with a lot of Australians because of his stunt with the didgeridoo the other night (when he was talking about Crikey and Lachlan Murdoch - which, by the way, is pronounced LOCK-lun, not LACK-lun). Cultural sensitivities apply to the instrument - it's part of the spiritual beliefs of many Aboriginal peoples, and it is customary for non-Indigenous people to get permission from traditional owners before they play it. (Here is an article with more info if you're interested.) I found it surprisingly tone-deaf (no pun intended) of him to do what he did. (I'm a white Australian who has read and studied a lot of material on our First Nations cultures.)

Edited by purist
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

haven’t seen the guests for tonight’s show. please —  PLEASE —  don’t let him be on vacation!

Sorry - it's showing on Titan TV as repeats.  And he even said something last week (I can't remember the context) about not being live next week.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sorry - it's showing on Titan TV as repeats.  And he even said something last week (I can't remember the context) about not being live next week.

At the end of Thursday's show, he said he was wishing James Cordon all the best, as this is his last week hosting The Late Late Show, because he wouldn't be on this week. Tonight's show is a rerun from last month that had Mary J. Blige and Alison Roman as his guests.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Stephen and his writers are always sharpest after a break, IMO.  
But apparently they’ll be off again starting tonight because of the writers strike, especially since Stephen says he is a member of the WGA? (deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-late-night-shows-to-shut-down-immediately-1235352054)

At least they got to totally nail the nickname that TFG couldn’t come up with: De Sandwich 🤣

Nicolas Cage was surprisingly great doing The Colbert Questionert.  
I guess he comes by it naturally, being a Coppola? (wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Cage#Early_life_and_family)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Kudos to Nicholas Cage for answering "oh, cats", without hesitation. Has anyone done that before? I know I've seen folks first say they like both, then veer more towards one (usually dogs), but I can't recall a straight-up "cats" before. Good for him! (Cats sure can be veiled and offbeat, so like recognizes like.)

Glad it seems they added a couple new questions; "earliest memory" and maybe one other? I have to think that celebs' PR people fill them in before coming on the show, so I'm often suspicious of the sighing and pausing before answering. Keep 'em on their toes!

Oh, and James Marsden is always adorable. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Kudos to Nicholas Cage for answering "oh, cats", without hesitation. Has anyone done that before? I know I've seen folks first say they like both, then veer more towards one (usually dogs), but I can't recall a straight-up "cats" before. Good for him! (Cats sure can be veiled and offbeat, so like recognizes like.

Nope this was the first.  I jumped up and down and cheered!   

Love Stephen’s support of unions.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Kudos to Nicholas Cage for answering "oh, cats", without hesitation

It all that cleaning up after the wife’s Pomeranian.

• LOL 5