Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Eight Episode Talk

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Why does Ed Sheeran style his hair to look like bedhead? Is that supposed to be appealing? 

Apparently yes. See also Harry Styles and any of those similarly styled young-uns. I would have rocked this look several decad *a-hem* years ago if I had known it would be acceptable someday.

• LOL 1
On 10/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, wonderwoman said:

i will never be able to hear the flintstone’s theme without thinking of that bit.

I finally got a chance to watch this episode tonight and I agree completely!

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

what the hell is going on? looks like another week of reruns — kimmel, fallon, and myers, too. 

i haven’t been keeping close track, but it seems like it’s a week off every few weeks. 

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 2

"Steroids Urkel", OMFG. 

The bit about Cruz at the beginning made me happy. 

ETA: Ooooooooookay, well, thanks, Stephen, now I'm gonna need some brain bleach after that bit about Trump and Kim Jong-Un. I have to sleep in a couple hours :p!

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Steroids Urkel", OMFG. 

The bit about Cruz at the beginning made me happy. 

I especially loved the extended boo that the photo of "Steroids Urkel" received. So therapeutic. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Again, about Cruz at the Yankee Stadium...couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Love 7
On 10/18/2022 at 9:54 PM, wonderwoman said:

what the hell is going on? looks like another week of reruns — kimmel, fallon, and myers, too. 

i haven’t been keeping close track, but it seems like it’s a week off every few weeks. 

Bugs the hell out of me. You'd think with what these guys get paid, they'd be expected to show up a little more often. They also miss a lot of what's going on in the world while they're off for a week or two. When they return, a lot of the topics have gotten pretty stale and the newer stuff gets short shrift.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Bugs the hell out of me. You'd think with what these guys get paid, they'd be expected to show up a little more often. They also miss a lot of what's going on in the world while they're off for a week or two. When they return, a lot of the topics have gotten pretty stale and the newer stuff gets short shrift.

All those people on the credit roll every night? They get the week off, too. And I'm guessing that they, from writers to PAs to studio floor, work much harder than the boss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, wonderwoman said:

On 10/25/2022 at 8:46 PM, Ms Lark said:

10 hours ago, SG429 said:

All those people on the credit roll every night? They get the week off, too. And I'm guessing that they, from writers to PAs to studio floor, work much harder than the boss.

The hosts and their team sign a contract to perform so many weeks of shows per year/season. These don’t always get spread out the way we’d like - I think there was discussion here or another forum about how August sees many late night shows shutter for three or four weeks. There is some magical algorithm that seems to get many of the shows on the same pattern which frankly sucks. But they really aren’t taking any more time off now then in the past — maybe an extra week or two over the last couple of years (thanks, COVID). And then we’re going to see a week or two dark at Thanksgiving and two to three around Christmas. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Floved:

No one should have to discuss health care with their local political leaders, especially if you live in one of those really small towns where the local mayor is a dog: “Making this decision was Ruff, but I believe life begins at . . . Squirrel!”
(Stephen's monologue)

And, if anyone was not aware: Meet the dog mayors of America

Too bad Nikole Hannah-Jones was on at the end. In case anyone missed it (just a little over 8 minutes): youtu.be/anauBRiChkc

10 hours ago, saoirse said:

The hosts and their team sign a contract to perform so many weeks of shows per year/season. These don’t always get spread out the way we’d like - I think there was discussion here or another forum about how August sees many late night shows shutter for three or four weeks. There is some magical algorithm that seems to get many of the shows on the same pattern which frankly sucks. But they really aren’t taking any more time off now then in the past — maybe an extra week or two over the last couple of years (thanks, COVID). And then we’re going to see a week or two dark at Thanksgiving and two to three around Christmas. 

I just assumed football was the rationale for the previous week's scheduling of one of the contract-mandated of weeks-off.
Seth Meyers is still off this week; I guess they have a lower budget.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just assumed football was the rationale for the previous week's scheduling of one of the contract-mandated of weeks-off.
Seth Meyers is still off this week; I guess they have a lower budget.

Seth also does his show the week of Thanksgiving and most of the other shows are off that week. They have the Myers family show on Thanksgiving night. I like that we get Evie more frequently!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I loved the kid scary movie writers room.

Stephen's face at the "There was ice cream music, but no ice cream!" bit...:p. And the girl blaming that thing falling on her dead grandma!

But yeah, I'd totally watch that movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I loved the one kid insisting that hairspray does in fact work as a weapon against demons. She sounded like everybody knows that, you idiot! 

Also, the conversation between the one kid and Stephen about "Freddy and the actor" and how they went back and forth about what his picture was, and the kid was also like: why is this man not understanding this?????

I thought the title was brilliant. I wonder if it takes less than 45 minutes for adults to come up with a movie title that good.

• Love 2

LOL, I loved the "Groot Boy" song at the beginning :D. Good choice of Rihanna song to parody, too, I like that one by her. Now I want to go listen to the original. 

"What's the difference?" No shit :/. Fuck you, Musk.

On a more positive note, wishing Mr. Pelosi a speedy recovery.  Also, awwwww, Benny :). 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

The last monologue was on fire, from the musical bit to those puppies.

"You need a comfort cookie?" My God, those sad people who love complaining about people who try to feel happy, safe or comfortable. If they are miserable, everyone should be!

That whole bit with the Fox News people whining about students holding puppies was...truly something. Slow news day, guys? 

But yes, yay for seeing some actual puppies to help lighten the mood :D. 

• Love 7

Okay, the Sexiest Man Alive bit was funny, from the “two finalists” announcement to the pre-recorded tape with the shared title. Especially appreciated the sexy message, “Go vote tomorrow”!

• Love 6

I loved that skit, too :D. But aw, John, you'd make my "sexiest man" list :D! As would Stephen, for that matter. 

That entire interview between Stephen and John was so fun. John's story about one of his early jobs was wild, and I loved the way he laughed when Stephen suggested Truss' curtsey was what killed the Queen. His laugh is so adorable, LOL. I also totally get his reasoning for wanting to vote on election day itself, there is something about the buzz of the day and the people gathering that is rather invigorating. 

Good monologue tonight, too. Especially the way Stephen mocked Elon, and said something like, "Awwww, did someone hurt Mr. 'Free Speech's precious fee-fees?" :p. 

And the election day song list at the beginning. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Herschel Walker" was my favorite XD. 

Yeah. This episode really helped calm my anxiousness about tomorrow. And it helped after a stressful day at work today, too, so thank you, Stephen. 

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

and how about that Lion King live preview?

🦓🦁🦒🐆🐘🦜🐅
pt-claps.pngpt-claps.pngpt-claps.pngpt-claps.pngpt-claps.pngpt-claps.png

In one of my alternate universe lives, I make costumes for that show.

Stephen totally co-opted the DeSanctimonious nickname!

💚John Oliver's Irish jig heel click in lieu of a curtsy!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Stephen totally co-opted the DeSanctimonious nickname!

That DeSantis ad was...wow. My mom and I sat here just trying to figure out where the eighth day came from. I joked that maybe DeSantis was thinking of the Beatles' "Eight Days a Week", but that's an insult to one of my favorite Beatles songs :p. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope it will be available to stream tomorrow. I missed it live.

It is on CBS's website. That's where I went to pick up the 6 minutes I missed at the beginning.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

That "99 Red Balloons" opening was inspired XD. Also loved, "It's like what happens when you wash your Klan robes with your MAGA hats." Perfect. And my mom and I got a really good laugh out of the clip of Doocy explaining why Oz lost. I only wish my state could've been among those who could add to the celebratory news, but nationally speaking, it's definitely nice to have some happy news to discuss for a change. 

I loved the interview with Bono last week, and I was hoping he'd get to be among those doing the Colbert Questionert, so yay for him getting to do this! I've not heard the Bee Gees song he mentioned, but now I'll have to check it out. And his choice for best sandwich sounds...interesting :p.

(Also, Bono kicked off the song "Vertigo" by singing, "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!", so yeah, we know you're not much for counting, buddy :p.)

Stephen geeking out over U2 is yet another reason I like him so much :D. And I'm with him on being thrown by hearing McIver speak in her natural accent. 

Good show tonight :). 

• Love 6

Agreed. She always has such great advice to share. I loved the blue jacket she had on in that "parent talk" skit she did with Stephen, too. 

And I got a kick out of the bit in the monologue describing the "My Pillow-fication of the GOP" XD. That description is just....*Chef's kiss* 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Likely Louis preferred they not mention it.

He announced it himself on Instagram about a week ago  but perhaps doesn’t want them to make a big issue of it on the show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

He announced it himself on Instagram about a week ago  but perhaps doesn’t want them to make a big issue of it on the show. 

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Likely Louis preferred they not mention it.

Or, maybe my second guess, which was that TPTB decided not to announce that anymore?

• Love 1

I have floved Jon Stewart since I saw him in The Nanny episode "Kissing Cousins" (the 4:25 mark has the cousin reveal), perhaps also because some would say Jon and I are at least 30th cousins, but I really loved him last night, especially because they brought up the last time Jon was on TLSSC

which vindicated my interpretation at the time of Jon doing a comedy bit lampooning nuts (rather than being just a nut himself) and yet, I remember right after it aired in June of 2021, wondering if I might be wrong (had Jon gone nuts?).
But reviewing the bit now, it is so obviously a comedy bit.
I guess it was just "too soon" when he did it in June 2021 when vaccines were just becoming widely available:

• Love 1

His defense of Dave Chappelle reminded me of how he used to defend Bill O'Reilly. I think when people are your friends you tend to refuse to see the bad stuff no matter what.

Has he ever mentioned O'Reilly after all the sexual harassment scandals blew up in his face?

Edited by ruby24
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1