Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Eight Episode Talk

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

so prince harry is on tuesday? means i’ll be able to call it an early night. 

Same here, and cancel my scheduled DVR recording as well.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Like 1

Not gonna lie: as Chris Wallace pointed out-on his fingers-everyone he called to try and get Stephen to appear on his show, and getting the brush off, and Stephen looking…guilty and trying not to laugh out loud? Had me:

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF
best GIPHY even if Snoops is laughing at what he’s reading!😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 1/6/2023 at 11:44 AM, wonderwoman said:

so prince harry is on tuesday? means i’ll be able to call it an early night. 

On 1/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, lurkerbee said:

Same here, and cancel my scheduled DVR recording as well.

I'll be taping as usual. But I only watch the opening monologue, Meanwhile, and sometimes a bit that might be interesting. I usually skip over the interviews, unless it's someone I may find interesting.

Prince Harry is not that someone!

• Like 4

Disclaimer: I am not a Royal Watcher. 
Yet, I'm not immune to buzz. 
I happened to see about half of Harry's interview with Anderson Cooper, and thought AC did well. 

Then I saw most of Stephen's interview with Harry and found it excellent.

When Stephen began this show, his interview skills seemed weak. 
Kudos to him for taking the time to learn how to do it right.
He read the whole damn book in one day to prepare. 
Some jokes may have been prepared, but mostly Stephen tapped into Harry's surprisingly witty sense of humor and they just playfully parried.

If you do not think you want to watch a Spare Harry interview but have friends and family who are likely to natter on about him, Stephen's interview is very watchable.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 11
24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Disclaimer: I am not a Royal Watcher. 
Yet, I'm not immune to buzz. 
I happened to see about half of Harry's interview with Anderson Cooper, and thought AC did well. 

Then I saw most of Stephen's interview with Harry and found it excellent.

When Stephen began this show, his interview skills seemed weak. 
Kudos to him for taking the time to learn how to do it right.
He read the whole damn book in one day to prepare. 
Some jokes may have been prepared, but mostly Stephen tapped into Harry's surprisingly witty sense of humor and they just playfully parried.

If you do not think you want to watch a Spare Harry interview but have friends and family who are likely to natter on about him, Stephen's interview is very watchable.

I enjoyed it as well, though I didn’t realize he was going to be the sole guest. It was both funny and sad, the latter especially when Stephen asked Harry about his mom and about grief and grieving

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 8

I enjoyed the interview with Prince Harry.  He really is disarming and witty, and he’s led an interesting life.  

He wrote the book; he had his reasons.  I happen to perceive him as truthful, and so he’s right- better to hear it in his own voice.  He seems to have considered the consequences and made his choice.  I’m going to read the book, even though much of it has leaked.

The thing that struck me is how much he looks like his grandfather, Prince Philip.  When the Queen died we saw tons of pictures and it’s quite pronounced.  

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

I thought it was a very good interview and Harry seems so much less stiff than his family, at least in this venue.  Also, he says his family doesn't understand therapy and William and Catherine have taken on as one of their issues mental health.  But, I guess maybe they just talk about it and that's it.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, DanaK said:

I enjoyed it as well, though I didn’t realize he was going to be the sole guest. It was both funny and sad, the latter especially when Stephen asked Harry about his mom and about grief and grieving

Yeah, that got me, too, especially Harry's whole thing after his mom's death of thinking, "Oh, she's not really dead, she's simply hiding." :(. I often forget about the fact that Harry and I are the same age until it's mentioned somewhere (I was born almost a full month after him), but knowing that and then thinking about how the fact he was only twelve, almost thirteen, when Diana died just makes my heart go out to him. I can't imagine what it'd be like to lose your mom that young, and in such a tragic way, and to have to deal with all that intense scrutiny and spotlight as you're trying to grieve and mourn as well. His point about how the trauma of losing their mom so young may have factored into the fracturing relationship between himself and William was a good point, too - grief can indeed totally mess up otherwise close relationships in some truly awful ways. 

I also liked Stephen's question about whether the royal family wanted to drive Meghan away or break her spirit so that she'd be easier to control. That was a particularly weighty, powerful point to bring up. 

On a lighter note, Stephen's face when Harry was talking about the "cock cushion" was priceless XD. I also laughed at Harry's reaction to fact checking "The Crown". 

Yeah. I don't follow the royal family and its drama, either - I just hear whatever pops up in the news and that's about it, and I've not read the book, either, none of that, but I agree this was a good interview. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, that got me, too, especially Harry's whole thing after his mom's death of thinking, "Oh, she's not really dead, she's simply hiding."

It's so interesting to read the comments of those who aren't royal watchers or have been posting in the Harry and Meghan and Spare threads. So divergent.

And @Annber03 , people have been asking about you in the...Chit-Chat thread I think? I think they iz worrit aboot ju.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's so interesting to read the comments of those who aren't royal watchers or have been posting in the Harry and Meghan and Spare threads. So divergent.

And @Annber03 , people have been asking about you in the...Chit-Chat thread I think? I think they iz worrit aboot ju.

Aw, that's sweet :). Much of the recent conversation there has been about the TWOP website, and I never posted there (I think I started hearing about the place shortly after it shut down, actually :p), so there's just really nothing I can contribute to that conversation as a result, so I'm just quietly sitting on the sidelines and reading about people's experiences there, LOL. Even if I'm not actively posting about whatever other people are talking about in that thread, though, I still do poke my head into the thread to see what's all being discussed, and of course, I still post elsewhere around the boards, so hopefully I've had a chance to chat with some of those posters elsewhere on here recently, or will soon. 

But I appreciate the thoughts all the same!

And ha, I can imagine the sharp contrast between what those who don't follow the royal family and those who do in regards to how all of this is being discussed :p. I don't doubt there's a LOT of spirited discussion among those who are into the goings-ons with this family right now :D. 

25 minutes ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

That cold open was hilarious! Harry may be of British royalty, but Tom Hanks is American royalty!

LOL, I liked that, too :). Very cute. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I also don't follow the royals, but whenever I've stumbled on any interview with Harry, he always comes across likable, genuine, and totally different in affect from all the others. I think quite a bit of what he talks about is interesting-- like the grief stuff, and his attitude toward his military service.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Aw, that's sweet :). Much of the recent conversation there has been about the TWOP website, and I never posted there (I think I started hearing about the place shortly after it shut down, actually :p), so there's just really nothing I can contribute to that conversation as a result, so I'm just quietly sitting on the sidelines and reading about people's experiences there, LOL. Even if I'm not actively posting about whatever other people are talking about in that thread, though, I still do poke my head into the thread to see what's all being discussed, and of course, I still post elsewhere around the boards, so hopefully I've had a chance to chat with some of those posters elsewhere on here recently, or will soon. 

But I appreciate the thoughts all the same!

I just checked your profile, to see if you were okay. Glad you are. :)

• Like 3

Maybe it's because I've read (and still do read) historical romances (DON'T JUDGE ME!), but I'm very familiar with what the phrase "heir and spare" means. That the second child is not one who is a distraction, but one who could possibly be the heir if the first born should die. So having Prince Harry explain what that meant had me rolling my eyes, to be honest.

Was he the most relaxed in this interview with Stephen? Without a doubt. He was very affable.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 1/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, shapeshifter said:

I think this is what comes as a surprise to those who dislike Harry and/or are determined to believe he's being manipulated by Meghan.  When he is being interviewed he comes across, at least to me, as a bright, witty man who has had a lot to deal with in life.  Made mistakes?  Oh for sure.  But also someone who has grown up and is trying to live a good life.  This interview showed someone who could think on his feet and who is a lot smarter than many of his critics would like to believe.

22 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

That cold open was hilarious! Harry may be of British royalty, but Tom Hanks is American royalty!

I just saw this!  I went back to rewatch the interview based on some of the comments I've read here and I had missed the beginning.  Absolutely hilarious!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't watch the interview, just scenes replayed later.  I thought it was pretty rich that Harry mentions William's baldness, when Harry's hair is wispy and thinning on top.  Talk about being petty.  

IIRC, Harry said he resented having to see William's baldness precisely because it made him uncomfortably aware of his own thinning hair. 
However, it was worded in such a way that I too thought Harry was being petty.
Perhaps just not the best editing?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

But why mention William's baldness at all?  It was unnecessary.

There's a lot about this that's unnecessary.  Frankly, I think Harry would be better off with therapy instead of writing books.  I also have to wonder about who is advising him and Meghan for that matter.  I hope with this book and their specials out of the way, they'll concentrate on doing those good works they'd talked about and stop talking about The Firm.  At this point, whatever needed to be said or they felt like saying should be over (or at least not shared with the public).  They need to learn the mantra of "no comment" where this is concerned.  For a lot of people, they are wasting the initial good will they had when the first announced their departure.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Just a note to please stick to the show and the interviews; general discussion of Harry & Meghan is off topic, as is book talk about Spare that was not covered in the show. Posts have been removed and going forward, other sanctions could be incurred. Thank you!

On 1/11/2023 at 10:32 PM, ShadowKnight2 said:

I loved the cold open.  That was very funny.  Tom Hanks is American Royalty.

I have a friend of mine who lost her mother at 10.  It's had a profound impact her entire life.  Harry's comments about his mother were very moving.

• Like 4

Oh, my god. Stephen's take on the toilet device that can analyze urine and give dietary advice XD. That was hysterical. Just. Why? 

That snore-silencing pillow is totally going to pop up in a case on a future episode of "Dateline", isn't it? 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

[shapeshifter Googling . . . ] Trevor Noah is just 38 years old. 

Yeah, he was born the same year as me. I did not know that until just within, like, the last couple years or so. 

I loved his story about the church rap XD. "...is he rapping about Jesus?"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 1/11/2023 at 9:28 AM, DanaK said:

Stephen is an exceptionally good interviewer when talking about grief and loss,  especially at an early age, as he himself experienced. It gives those topics a real gravitas that no one else in late night can match. And then he can turn on a dime and be silly without disrespecting the seriousness of that moment.  It's kind of amazing. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, SG429 said:

I really like the extended multi-segment interviews he's been doing. It's veering into Dick Cavett territory, not a bad thing.

Yeah, but WAY too many commercials. And I'm still pissed that he put Stephen Sondheim (STEPHEN SONDHEIM) at the very end of the show for five minutes. What a waste!

Edited by SusieQ
Needed to add emphasis
  • Like 3

Having lived most of my life in Illinois, I was more interested in the Adam Kinzinger interview than I might have been otherwise. Two things about the  Kinzinger interview stood out to me:

1. Kinzinger said when left the final Jan. 6 Committee meeting, he discovered he had a flat tire. He joked about it being symbolic.
    Sure.
    But I would just like to know if Kinzinger thought it was suspicious.
    But if his tire was maliciously flattened, it was a pretty minor attack, and it's smart to not suggest anything nefarious without proof.

2. I loved the color of Kinzinger's tie. Not just that it was blue, but it was a really nice shade and hue:
    image.png.c12d7d82a6448d738ff64d15e679b17f.png
  • Like 6

Jimmy Kimmel did a George Santos impersonator last night too and his was WAY funnier than Colbert's. Actually, his was funny, period.

Not a single one of those jokes from the George Santos guy was funny. And with such low hanging fruit how is that even possible? Seriously, how could that have been approved with not a single funny joke in it?

Edited by ruby24
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Jimmy Kimmel did a George Santos impersonator last night too and his was WAY funnier than Colbert's. Actually, his was funny, period.

Not a single one of those jokes from the George Santos guy was funny. And was such low hanging fruit how is that even possible? Seriously, how could that have been approved with not a single funny joke in it?

Humor is very subjective.
I am probably among the toughest crowd members there are when it comes to humor. 
But, yes, the Santos/Devolder/Whatever impersonator on Kimmel did make me chuckle a few times, in part because of the physical comedy: youtu.be/np6xlLW2JqU?t=595
in comparison to the Colbert Santos/Devolder/Whatever impersonator: youtu.be/KJr7SwQ03pg?t=177
but, actually, one of the bits in the Kimmel version struck me as offensive.
🤷🏻‍♀️

ETA: Tonight on Fallon John Lovits did a Santos impersonation. Impersonations are not really his schtick, IMO, but he pulled off a fairly amusing spoof rendition of “My Way” as Santos would have sung it.

Edited by shapeshifter
On 1/19/2023 at 3:26 PM, SG429 said:

I really like the extended multi-segment interviews he's been doing. It's veering into Dick Cavett territory, not a bad thing.

i, too, like the longer interviews. re dick cavett, various iterations of his shows are running @ 9pm (eastern) on the decades ota channel.

the version closest to colbert is the 30 minutes episoe with a single guest. 

but, what i like most are the 60 minute shows with several guests. this was the model for the early late night shows, and led to some fascinating interactions and conversations, which just don’t happen with the current model, which i really miss.

earlier this week, there was an episode from late 1971, with eg marshall, maureen stapleton, and howard k smith, who speculated about what he thought was going to happen in the 1972 presidential election. surreal experience listening to his predictions while knowing how things actually turned out. 

dick cavett on decades

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Thank you, Stephen, for finally clapping back on Tucker's fat-shaming of the purple M&M spokes-candy by pointing out what should have been obvious:
"She's not obese; she is with nut."

image.png.dde35cda61cb9f71d7b8756b90315670.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

When Jason Segel came out and Stephen greeted him (Stephen standing one step above him), I thought "Boy, Jason is big!". Not 10 seconds later, Stephen's first comment to Jason was "I've forgotten how big you are!"  I never noticed that before.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Our patriarchal neo-fascism just wants to be "part of your world" 😆...Stephen was on fire last night.

i loved him reading from the Proud Boys' handbook. When he got to the part about their masturbation habits in regards to women, I was sitting here like, 'Bold of them to assume they'll ever get anywhere near a woman...". So much ick, but yeah, his mocking of them was fantastic. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Wow, I did not see Stephen Colbert bring back The W⊘rd, from his previous show. But it seemed appropriate, given the details about that horrid crime in Memphis!

The return of The Word gives me life!

I can’t get rid of the spoiler box.

Spoiler

• Like 8